Newbie Remote Assistant and Desktop Questions

i Folks:

   Developing C++ on VS 2008 Pro, XP Pro, Win32.

   I have a client that recently upgraded from Vista to Windows 7
Ultimate, 32 bit, on his laptop.

   I recommended he get Ultimate so I could run Remote Desktop over
the Internet.  This is before I actually tried using Remote Desktop.

   After getting Remote Desktop up, I see that I really want, to help
my client, is Remote Assistant.

   Both Remote Desktop and Remote Assistant are now running fine with
two XP PCs on my LAN, using my Internet address, to connect.

   I've cobbled together port numbers requiring NATting to get Remote
Desktop and Remote Assistant working, and VPN to connect without
complaint.  But I'm guessing on what I need to NAT.

   Can someone point me at a resource that will tell me exactly which
ports are required for each of these three types of sessions?

   In my tests, I'm NATing these ports to my helper's PC, and starting
a help session by clicking on an attachment sent by my client.  Does
this mean I won't have to talk the client through the task of NATing
ports on their firewall?  That would be great.

   If I open a VPN to an IP address, then start a Remote Desktop, or
Remote Assistant, to the same address, am I running on the VPN?  Or do
I need to do something to attach the session to the VPN?

                        Thanks
                        Larry
0
Larry

On May 21, 9:08=A0am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> i Folks:

Oops, that should have been "Hi".

   When I'm running remote assistant I see a message in the upper left
corner, in green text.  "Screen view Only".

   I also see a grayed out button that says "Stop Control".

   I was under the impression that the helper could not control the
other computer.  Is that incorrect?

   My OpenGL graphics, currently just an animated splash screen,
doesn't display properly.  Both systems are running ATI onboard
graphics adapters.  The helper has a Radion X1200 and the other a
Radion Xpress 200.  Is there a way to get the graphics displaying
better?  Would Direct3D graphics look better?

        Thanks Again
        Larry
0
Larry
5/21/2010 8:29:32 PM
On May 21, 9:08=A0am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi Again:

   That didn't go too well.

   My client had the Remote Assistant program save the invitation to a
file, and he then sent it to me in an attachment.  I clicked on the
attachment's link and entered the password he gave me.

   After a few seconds a window popped up with the following error:

      A Remote Assistance connection could not be established.  You
may
      want to check for network issues or determine if the invitation
      expired or was canceled by the person who sent it.

   My client reported seeing this on his computer:

      Windows Remote Assistance

         Give your helper the invitation file and password.

         A remote assistance invitation has been opened.

         Waiting for incoming connection.

   He told me some buttons were also in the window, but grayed out.

   I attempted several times to open the connection, with no luck.

   Suggestions?

                       Thanks
                       Larry
0
Larry
5/21/2010 10:01:39 PM
On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT), Larry Lindstrom
<larryl_turbo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On May 21, 9:08�am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>Hi Again:
>
>   That didn't go too well.
>
>   My client had the Remote Assistant program save the invitation to a
>file, and he then sent it to me in an attachment.  I clicked on the
>attachment's link and entered the password he gave me.
>
>   After a few seconds a window popped up with the following error:
>
>      A Remote Assistance connection could not be established.  You
>may
>      want to check for network issues or determine if the invitation
>      expired or was canceled by the person who sent it.
>
>   My client reported seeing this on his computer:
>
>      Windows Remote Assistance
>
>         Give your helper the invitation file and password.
>
>         A remote assistance invitation has been opened.
>
>         Waiting for incoming connection.
>
>   He told me some buttons were also in the window, but grayed out.
>
>   I attempted several times to open the connection, with no luck.
>
>   Suggestions?
>
>                       Thanks
>                       Larry

Try
http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
0
Jim
5/22/2010 3:41:17 PM
On May 22, 8:41=A0am, Jim <bojimbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT), Larry Lindstrom
>

> <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >On May 21, 9:08=A0am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi Again:
>
> > =A0 That didn't go too well.
> > =A0 Suggestions?
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Thanks
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Larry
>
> Tryhttp://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

Thanks Jim:

   $700 is a bit out of my reach right now.  Any idea about connecting
the free Remote Assistant?

   Do I need to mess with the domain name or the hardware firewall on
the client's system.

   He's using Wi-Fi on his laptop, so I suppose he has some kind of
router/firewall on his line.

              Thanks
              Larry

0
Larry
5/22/2010 4:32:04 PM
On Sat, 22 May 2010 09:32:04 -0700 (PDT), Larry Lindstrom
<larryl_turbo@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On May 22, 8:41�am, Jim <bojimbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 May 2010 15:01:39 -0700 (PDT), Larry Lindstrom
>>

>> <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> >On May 21, 9:08�am, Larry Lindstrom <larryl_tu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi Again:
>>
>> > � That didn't go too well.
>> > � Suggestions?
>>
>> > � � � � � � � � � � � Thanks
>> > � � � � � � � � � � � Larry
>>
>> Tryhttp://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx
>
>Thanks Jim:
>
>   $700 is a bit out of my reach right now.  Any idea about connecting
>the free Remote Assistant?
>
>   Do I need to mess with the domain name or the hardware firewall on
>the client's system.
>
>   He's using Wi-Fi on his laptop, so I suppose he has some kind of
>router/firewall on his line.
>
>              Thanks
>              Larry

$700 ? Where from ? It`s free .
0
Jim

Report Header Lookup Question
I have a report running from a parameter query where a start and end date are entered and then the report opens within those dates. I want the report name to look something like this... Jobs Worked from ________ to _________. How would I make the dates entered in the parameter boxes populate to the header title? Any help is much appreciated. On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:29:00 -0700, Adam wrote: > I have a report running from a parameter query where a start and end date are > entered and then the report opens within those dates. I want the report name > to look something like t...

Link Question
Hello everyone! Using E02 on XP. Usually in the Access area and don't use Excel much but...always learn SO much in these Newsgroups. I have 2 folders in a shared drive that contain 2 versions of a file that need to be compared. (We send the ToClient file to our clients and they make changes to participant data for year end valuation work. They return it to us and we put it in the FromClient folder.) I've created a master file that will compare the two, cell by cell and, for now, just return "Ok" or "Edited". (Later I want to show the ToClient cell value...

Question about total cast basis calculation for an investment acco
I am using Money 2004 to track my mutual fund investments, among other things. I had the portfolio manager options set to show closed positions. When configured as such, the the cost basis from the closed positions was added into the total cost basis for the investment. In my case, the closed positions were a result of a non-taxable sell and reinvest into another investment. Long story short, some money shows up twice in the total cost basis calculation. After clearing the option to show closed positions, the total cost basis calculation appears to be correct. I would expect to see...

formula question #27
I have an array of numbers like 100 0.01 200 0.015 300 0.02 400 0.025 500 0.03 say the range name is tab1 and an array of numbers like (call it tab2) 150 250 350 I want to look up the numbers from tab2 in tab1 and multilply it by the 2nd column from tab1 and add up the result. So, I want 150*.01+250*.015+350*.02 I tried as an array formula =sum((vlookup(tab2,tab1,2)*tab2) but this does not work. What should I be doing? TIA Say your tab2 info in col. A. In col. B type vlookup(A1,tab1!$A$1:$B$5,2,TRUE) Note: Use "true" in the vlookup, since your values in tab1 col. A and ...

Set Print POS Receipt Question Default to NO
When you select the to Ask before printing POS receipt the system defaults to the YES box. Can this default be set to NO to allow you to just press ENTER? I have already set up a PRINTLASTRECEIPT button. ...

Re: Calendar Printing Assistant
IMI Attendees Print - http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imiap.htm you can fin it also at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM102566161033.aspx | "JLinDC" <JLinDC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message | news:535BC51C-CE50-4B56-A19D-43DEA66D4D1B@microsoft.com... || Are there any CPA templates that print the Appointment Message/Body? || || | | ...

Report Writer Conditional Field Question
I should know the answer to this but my head is working on a different problem at the moment. In Report Writer, on a SOP Blank Invoice, I want to conditionally show the SOP_Line_Work_PrimaryShipToAddressCode ONLY when it is not equal to 'Primary' or 'Ship To'. In essence, I need to show the SOP Line Level Address when it's an outlier from their two standard address codes. I built a conditional field in RW that checks for Primary and returns blank ("") or the address. Works great. But now I need to add an OR condition and I'm stuck. I can't seem to be able...

MSVAD audio stream question
Hello I am new in driver. I build msvad simple driver, but I have a question. Dose someone know can I get audio stream "original" (where the stream come from. ex. from which application or pid) ? Thanks ...

Drop down list question
I have a template with several drop down lists for the user to selec from. I would like it to function in a way that the user only needs t enter the first couple of numbers and the list will scroll to that par of the list. Is this possible ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Move your source cells for the list to directly above the validation cell, and then hide those cells. For example, if your source range is J1:J5, and the validation is in A10, move the...

Word 2007 question
How can I use a persons name listed in the address in the salution of a letter without copying? I've tried a bookmark but am unsuccessful so far. On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 16:14:01 -0800, DJ <DJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I use a persons name listed in the address in the salution of a >letter without copying? I've tried a bookmark but am unsuccessful so far. See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to th...

OWA question #12
i recently changed my domain name, example: from homedomain.com to workdomain.com. I have an exchange server with OWA enabled, i used to log in to OWA by typing the following https://homedomain.com/exchange. When I changed my domain i figured i would just logon to my OWA by typing https://workdomain.com. However this is not working, I have made sure that the new domain name points to the correct boxes, firewall shows that a request is coming in on port 443 and being sent to the correct internal host. My smtp virtual server is mapped to the correct ip, but still have not been able to lo...

Search Desktop Removal
I installed office 2007 and am not happy with Search Desktop - how do I remove this? I looked in Remove and Add Programs but it is not there. Any suggestions are apprecaited. That's Windows Desktop Search. What don't you like about it? Its definitely faster than the native outlook search. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLE...

Question about macro
Here is the case: Every week I will receive ten files(each has one work sheet) from my brokers. All the files are in the same format but different size. Is there a way to automatically collect the data from each file every week and put them all in one work sheet? The files name will change weekly(to accomodate the date) and so will the size. Thanks in advance. Jason ...

Currency accounting question
Hi There, I have exported data from Access 2002 to excel 2002 so i can change it and then import it into MYOB accounting. The problem is Access spits out the data like this (eg) 3909 when it should be $39.09 No matter what i format i try to use i end up with $3,909 or $3,909.00. Is there a simple formula i can use to change all my cells? I have about 500 to change and manually it would be a real pain!! Any help is greatly appreciated. Cheers and Thanks Mitch Mitch, You can divide all the values by 100 by entering 100 in some empty cell, then copy that cell, select the values to be divid...

Data Validation Question
I want to be able to create a drop-down list (which I know how to do), but I want an error message to appear when a certain value is selected. For instance, let's say my list contains 3 choices: yes no maybe Whenever "no" is selected, I want an error message to appear. I can't figure out how to make a drop-down list AND create a error box using data validation. Also, I want an error message to appear no matter what value is selected. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Data validation supports showing a message when the cell is selected and when an invalid entry is...

Mysterious question mark (?) when using OWA
Mysterious question mark (?) when using OWA It seems that my users whom use OWA to send email always seem to send along an "?" question mark at the beginning of their email messages. I am trying to find out why that is happening and how to go about eliminating it. If clients are XP SP2, check kba 883543 and apply the hotfix. Pe-XP SP2 clients: reinstall the S/MIME control from OWA - options. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Mr. Backup" <backup@yahoo.com> wrote in message new...

SendMessage Question/Problem
I have a dialog box with a toolbar subclassed in it that has a combo box. I have embedded the toolbar in a static control on the dialog box. When an item in the combo box is selected, I am getting the OnSelChange message being triggered in the subclassed tool bar class. I then get the item that was selected and call GetOwner()->SendMessage(WM_NOTIFY......) In the dialog box I have a ON_NOTIFY message command for the IDR_TOOLBAR. when I debug the OnSelChange method in the subclassed toolbar class, I can see it setting up the call, but when I place my cursor and do run to cursor in the O...

Format Question 10-01-07
How do I get this text box to format $#,###.## at the moment I am getting Grand Total:1085.5 instead of Grand Total $1,085.50 = "Grand Total:" & (NZ(DLookUp("Payable","qPayableTotalForPayment","OwnerID =" & tbOwnerID.Value),"")) Thanks for any Help...............Bob Simple method - in design view format the control as currency HTH -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Bob V" wrote: > > > How do I get this text box to format $#,###.## at the moment I am getting > Grand Total:1085.5 instead of Grand Total...

Access 2007 Licensing Question
We have started to use Access 2007 at work and I really like it. It seems incredibly powerful for a small price tag. In the IBM mainframe world, such a tool with similar functionality would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. I used to work in this realm. I am having so much fun with Access 2007 at work, that I am considering buying a copy for my home PC to be able to experiment after hours and on weekends. (Sign of dedication, or sign of being a true geek? :-) I have an older Dell PC which works fine, but I plan to replace it at the end of 2010. If I buy Access 2...

basic question re Calendar view
What's the difference between Day\Week\Month with AutoPreView and Day\Week\Month ? Thanks, DH With Autopreview when you hover over an appointment, you see additional = details. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Dave Horne asked: | What's the difference between Day\Week\Month with AutoPreView and | Day\Week\Month ? |=20 | Thanks, DH MIlly, thanks for the reply. I must have tried 20 different appoin...

Exchange Folder Question
I on occasion get a eventvwr app message in exchange 2003 sp2 stating "MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store - " Error 0x6bb deleting unused restricted view from folder 1-1121769 on database "StorageGroup2\MailboxStore1"... I'd like to check the folder for it's name (as exchange sees it) Is there any way to look for folder in adsi or otherwise and find folder 1-1121769 and maybe find the friendly name that I would know of? I looked for any information on this - realizing that it is probably not worth worrying about, however i'd like to monitor the folders that may be ...

Question about Maximizing a FormView
Hi all... I have a control on a CFormView with a fixed height but a variable width, depending on the current size of the form view. I used this in CFormView::OnSize void CNegocioView::OnSize(UINT nType, int cx, int cy) { CFormView::OnSize(nType, cx, cy); if( ::IsWindow(m_ctrlTitle.GetSafeHwnd()) ) m_ctrlTitle.MoveWindow(0, 0, cx, m_ctrlTitle.GetHeaderHeight()); } The problem is that the control isn't sized to the full width, but it seems it left space for the future vertical scrollbar. To solve the problem, I used OnActivateView to resize the control initially. It worked, bu...

Easy Question
////////// main.cpp ////////// #include <iostream> #include "try.cpp" using namespace std; int main() { Num Try; return 0; } //////// try.cpp ////////// #include <iostream> class Num{ private: int number; public: void SetNumber(int); }; void SetNumber(int a) { } ///////////OUTPUT GENERATED////////// ------ Rebuild All started: Project: try_examples, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'try_examples', configuration 'Debug|Win32' Compiling... try.cpp try_example.cpp ..\main.cpp(9) : warning ...

Chart Question #6
I have a list of 200 stocks. The data table looks like this: Stock Price Low High AA 10.37 1.00 19.00 AAPL 396.51 350.00 450.00 ABX 49.32 36.00 65.00 AIG 23.42 15.00 34.00 Is there a way to create a chart that will visually describe where the Price is Relative to the Low and High ? Thank You In Advance. On Nov 2, 7:39=A0pm, carl <cmieda...@msn.com> wrote: > I have a list of 200 stocks. The data table looks like this: > > Stock =A0 Price =A0 Low =A0 =A0 High > AA =A0 =A0 =A010.37 =A0 1.00 =A0 =A019.00 > AAPL =A0 =A0396.51 =A0350.00 =A0450.00 > ABX =A0 =A0 49.32 =A0 ...

Primary Key Question
Hi All, I have inherited a database with very poor design. I am in the process of redesigning the tables and had a dilema on what to use as the primary key. There are 4 columns that could make up a primary key and never have issues. I was thinking about creating a generic key (Autonumber) as a record ID instead of the combination of the 4 fields. >From the groups standpoint, what are the pros/cons of doing either? Pros: You only need one field in a child table as the foriegn key. If you have a 4-field PK, you need a 4-field FK. If the 'meaning' of any of the data in the nat...