My XPpro won't boot completely or run any programs

On booting my computer this morning (yes, 10 hours ago) I began receiving
bcmwltry.exe errors that the application failed to initialize (0xc0000006)
etc.  The option is to close the application by selecting yes.  About 10
seconds later the error message would pop up again.  My computer will not
finish booting up.  The background is visible but I have no start menu or
bar, also nothing on my desktop.

I did a google search for this error and found some suggestions.  All of
them said to run msconfig and uncheck bcmwltry from the menu.  They also
advised to delete the bcmwltry.exe file in the WINDOWS/System 32 file.
Additionally they say that the process that is running will cause your
computer to boot slowly, so I've tried to be patient between fixes.

Since I have no start menu I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE selected File, Run and
tried to run msconfig.  It wouldn't run.  I tried File, Run and then clicked
on browse to try the other half of the fix.  I found bcmwltry.exe in
WINDOWS/System 32 and deleted it.  This stopped the constant pop-up of the
error message concerning bcmwltry.exe but my computer still won't boot.  It
is running extremely slowly.  Now when I try to run msconfig I get a new
error message: msconfig.exe -application failed to initialize (0xc0000006).

HELP!  I can't get my computer to boot, now I have no MSCONFIG.  I don't
know what to do!  Thanks!

have you tried to boot into
safe mode?

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"RachelAdler" <RachelAdler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On booting my computer this morning (yes, 10 hours ago) I began receiving
> bcmwltry.exe errors that the application failed to initialize (0xc0000006)
> etc.  The option is to close the application by selecting yes.  About 10
> seconds later the error message would pop up again.  My computer will not
> finish booting up.  The background is visible but I have no start menu or
> bar, also nothing on my desktop.
>
> I did a google search for this error and found some suggestions.  All of
> them said to run msconfig and uncheck bcmwltry from the menu.  They also
> advised to delete the bcmwltry.exe file in the WINDOWS/System 32 file.
> Additionally they say that the process that is running will cause your
> computer to boot slowly, so I've tried to be patient between fixes.
>
> Since I have no start menu I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE selected File, Run and
> tried to run msconfig.  It wouldn't run.  I tried File, Run and then
> clicked
> on browse to try the other half of the fix.  I found bcmwltry.exe in
> WINDOWS/System 32 and deleted it.  This stopped the constant pop-up of the
> error message concerning bcmwltry.exe but my computer still won't boot.
> It
> is running extremely slowly.  Now when I try to run msconfig I get a new
> error message: msconfig.exe -application failed to initialize
> (0xc0000006).
>
> HELP!  I can't get my computer to boot, now I have no MSCONFIG.  I don't
> know what to do!  Thanks!

0
db
2/2/2010 2:41:35 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried to boot in safe mode and got the
bsod. AH!  This is the error:

STOP:c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image oleaut32.dll is possibly
corrupt.  The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.

Any thoughts?

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried to boot in safe mode and got the
> bsod. AH!  This is the error:
>
> STOP:c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image oleaut32.dll is possibly
> corrupt.  The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.
> Any thoughts?

Rachel:
When posing problems along the kind you've run into it's always a good idea
to provide a bit of background info re the kind of system you're using; to
wit...
1. Is this a desktop or laptop computer?
2. Is it an OEM machine, e.g., a Dell, or Gateway, or Toshiba, or HP etc.,
etc.? If so, what's the make & model number of the machine?
3. Do you have an XP operating system (OS) installation CD that's either a
retail version or a non-branded OEM version? Or if it's an OEM machine, just
the recovery or restoration CD(s)?
4. Do you have any clue whatsoever what might have caused the problem you're
experiencing? Did it follow some significant change you made in some program
or perhaps a configuration change in your XP OS? Or, as it appears, the
problem developed "out-of-the-blue"?
5. I suppose it's safe to assume you do not have a comprehensive backup of
the affected system, right?
Anna

0
Anna
2/2/2010 10:49:24 PM
1. Laptop
2. Dell Latitude 610
3. I have a non-branded reinstallation cd but not a recovery or restore cd.
(I was thankfully stopped at the last minute from running a reinstall and
deleting everything).
4. No significant changes.  I have retrived diagnostic errors having to do
with my harddrive.  But I believe the two issues were initially unrelated?
5. I have a backup that is a month or so old.  I really would like to do
some data recovery on this machine if possible before it gets deleted.

At this point I've resigned myself that it's time to upgrade.  I'm just
hoping to get my computer to a point where I can retrieve "my documents" and
some other items with out having to pay someone to do it.  Unless you think I
might be able to salvage?

"Anna" wrote:

> > "db" wrote:
> >
> >> have you tried to boot into
> >> safe mode?
> >>
> >> --
> >> db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
> >> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>

> "RachelAdler" <RachelAdler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the suggestion.  I just tried to boot in safe mode and got the
> > bsod. AH!  This is the error:
> >
> > STOP:c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum} The image oleaut32.dll is possibly
> > corrupt.  The header checksum does not match the computed checksum.
> > Any thoughts?
>

> Rachel:
> When posing problems along the kind you've run into it's always a good idea
> to provide a bit of background info re the kind of system you're using; to
> wit...
> 1. Is this a desktop or laptop computer?
> 2. Is it an OEM machine, e.g., a Dell, or Gateway, or Toshiba, or HP etc.,
> etc.? If so, what's the make & model number of the machine?
> 3. Do you have an XP operating system (OS) installation CD that's either a
> retail version or a non-branded OEM version? Or if it's an OEM machine, just
> the recovery or restoration CD(s)?
> 4. Do you have any clue whatsoever what might have caused the problem you're
> experiencing? Did it follow some significant change you made in some program
> or perhaps a configuration change in your XP OS? Or, as it appears, the
> problem developed "out-of-the-blue"?
> 5. I suppose it's safe to assume you do not have a comprehensive backup of
> the affected system, right?
> Anna
>

> .

Rachel

To get the 0xc0000006 error means something is missing in the Registry. Have you
used a Registry cleaning tool lately and which one.

--
Peter

"RachelAdler" <RachelAdler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On booting my computer this morning (yes, 10 hours ago) I began receiving
> bcmwltry.exe errors that the application failed to initialize (0xc0000006)
> etc.  The option is to close the application by selecting yes.  About 10
> seconds later the error message would pop up again.  My computer will not
> finish booting up.  The background is visible but I have no start menu or
> bar, also nothing on my desktop.
>
> I did a google search for this error and found some suggestions.  All of
> them said to run msconfig and uncheck bcmwltry from the menu.  They also
> advised to delete the bcmwltry.exe file in the WINDOWS/System 32 file.
> Additionally they say that the process that is running will cause your
> computer to boot slowly, so I've tried to be patient between fixes.
>
> Since I have no start menu I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE selected File, Run and
> tried to run msconfig.  It wouldn't run.  I tried File, Run and then clicked
> on browse to try the other half of the fix.  I found bcmwltry.exe in
> WINDOWS/System 32 and deleted it.  This stopped the constant pop-up of the
> error message concerning bcmwltry.exe but my computer still won't boot.  It
> is running extremely slowly.  Now when I try to run msconfig I get a new
> error message: msconfig.exe -application failed to initialize (0xc0000006).
>
> HELP!  I can't get my computer to boot, now I have no MSCONFIG.  I don't
> know what to do!  Thanks!

0
Peter
2/3/2010 4:15:50 AM

> 1. Laptop
> 2. Dell Latitude 610
> 3. I have a non-branded reinstallation cd but not a recovery or restore
> cd.
> (I was thankfully stopped at the last minute from running a reinstall and
> deleting everything).
> 4. No significant changes.  I have retrived diagnostic errors having to do
> with my harddrive.  But I believe the two issues were initially unrelated?
> 5. I have a backup that is a month or so old.  I really would like to do
> some data recovery on this machine if possible before it gets deleted.
>
> At this point I've resigned myself that it's time to upgrade.  I'm just
> hoping to get my computer to a point where I can retrieve "my documents"
> and
> some other items with out having to pay someone to do it.  Unless you
> think I
> might be able to salvage?

Rachel:
1. First of all it is conceivable (in view of your reference to hard drive
(HDD) "diagnostic errors") that the disk is defective and that is at the
root of your problem. But that's not definitive by any means based on your
description of the problem.
2. I'm not clear on your reference to a "non-branded reinstallation cd". Are
you referring to an XP OS installation CD that was provided by Dell? And
that this media will allow you to reinstall the OS *only* to its factory
state thus losing all your installed programs and personal data?
3. Since your primary objective is to salvage your data it would seem the
wisest course of action at this point would be to...
a. Using a disk-cloning program, clone the contents of the laptop's HDD to
another HDD, presumably a USB-connected external HDD, connect the latter
device to a working PC (which you obviously have available), and determine
if you can access the HDD and if so, copy off whatever data you want. Or...
b. Remove the HDD from the laptop and install it in a USB external enclosure
or install it directly in a desktop PC as a secondary HDD. And then see if
you can access the contents of the disk.

The problem with b. is that you're dealing with a 2 1/2" disk and would need
a USB enclosure that can accommodate that type of disk. While the laptop's
disk could be installed as a secondary HDD in a desktop machine it would
need an adapter device (rather inexpensive). And, of course, it would
necessitate your getting inside the "guts" of the desktop and I don't know
whether that would have any appeal for you although it's not a difficult
procedure by any means in most cases.

Since you indicated you do have a previous backup perhaps you already have a
USB external HDD device.

Another option you might want to consider is to utilize a "data recovery
program". There are a host of available commercial  programs on the market
and you can do a Google search on this. You might want to take a look
at...http://aumha.org/a/recover.php for more info on this technique. The
problem here is that the more you access (manipulate) the problem drive the
greater the risk you run in further corrupting the data and making it even
more difficult to retrieve data.

And, of course - assuming you haven't done so already - it would probably be
worthwhile to contact Dell to see if they might offer any suggestions to
resolve your problem.
Anna

0
Anna
2/3/2010 3:32:07 PM
unfortunately, I am not an
expert at error codes

however, googling for them
is most of the time helpful.

I found microsoft's take on
the error here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/245188

however, it is unclear if the
above applies to your system.

also, checksum errors are usually
associated to the bios and the cmos
battery may be weak.

the clue may be the system time.

if your computer isn't keeping
accurate time, then the cmos
battery is the culprit.

--
> [...]

>> > Additionally they say that the process that is running will cause your
>> > computer to boot slowly, so I've tried to be patient between fixes.
>> >
>> > Since I have no start menu I hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE selected File, Run and
>> > tried to run msconfig.  It wouldn't run.  I tried File, Run and then
>> > clicked
>> > on browse to try the other half of the fix.  I found bcmwltry.exe in
>> > WINDOWS/System 32 and deleted it.  This stopped the constant pop-up of
>> > the
>> > error message concerning bcmwltry.exe but my computer still won't boot.
>> > It
>> > is running extremely slowly.  Now when I try to run msconfig I get a
>> > new
>> > error message: msconfig.exe -application failed to initialize
>> > (0xc0000006).
>> >
>> > HELP!  I can't get my computer to boot, now I have no MSCONFIG.  I

0
db

Where can we get a complete list of VC++ data types?
Hi, We need a list of all VC++ Data Types. Searched through MSDN but could not find a single list. Since we are new to VCC+ we really don't know if what we are getting is sufficient or there is more. Would help if we could get some reference link. Thanks and Regards, M Shetty news:1159884090.972166.178530@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...> Hi, > > We need a list of all VC++ Data Types. Searched through MSDN but could > not find a single list. Since we are new to VCC+ we really don't know > if what we are getting is sufficient or there is more. It's not clear that ...

Programming
Hi all I have a problem. I want to write a program using VB in Excel. I put a txtbox and a cmdbutton in my worksheet. When I click on cmdButton, I want my program to do this: See if the word in the text box, exists in column "A" or not. If it exists in column A, then its related number in column B must get 1 grade higher than before, but if the word doesn't exist in column "A", add the word to the end of the column. For example if these are my columns: A B C 1 Name No 2 apple 10 4 banana 2 5 Lemon 15 6 Now if the word in...

Program performs illegal operation
I am trying to install Office 2000 on a computer at work. My network administrator has given me access to do so. Everything installs OK but when I try to run Outlook I get This Message: OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module OUTLLIB.DLL at 017f:3a557205. Registers: EAX=00000004 CS=017f EIP=3a557205 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=00793040 SS=0187 ESP=0056edc0 EBP=0056edc8 ECX=00694e70 DS=0187 ESI=00793040 FS=3d27 EDX=0000003f ES=0187 EDI=00000005 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 8b 08 ff 51 08 83 26 00 5e 5d c2 04 00 55 8b ec Stack dump: 00000004 00694e70 0056ede0 3a44b67b 00793040 00584d58 00000000 0069...

Run Time Errors
Since loading version 2.00108 we seem to get more run time errors. The most recent issue was when we were adding items and changed an item from standard to matrix. The full error report was: run time error 2147217900 (80040e14) Line 1: incorrect syntax near '?' We use both vista and xp and seem to get more errors with vista. Thoughts?? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_12F4_01C7A89D.F02002B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable coupleofdogs, OK, I give up! =20 How do you change a Stand...

Installed fonts in WinXP but don't show in any Office program
I've tried all the suggestions given in here (TweakUI, resetting printer, etc.), but NONE of those worked. I have 585 fonts in my Windows font folder. Does Office have a limit on the number of fonts it will display in the drop down Font box? In article <B4E90712-7D9E-4575-915C-3DA41C745442@microsoft.com>, JeffH wrote: > I've tried all the suggestions given in here (TweakUI, resetting printer, > etc.), but NONE of those worked. I have 585 fonts in my Windows font folder. > Does Office have a limit on the number of fonts it will display in the drop > down...

Insights running but not open in task bar?
So I installed Money Plus and imported/converted my old money 2004 file. That file was a file I had been using since 1999 in Quicken...it's gone through some imports by now. I decided to rename my old money files xxxx_OLD, and create a brand new from scratch one. I figured this would help me utilize all the nice new features. So I got this all setup, but there is a problem with Insight. * I have the checkbox checked that says 'Start Insights when windows starts', but the icon doesn't show up in the task bar. * When I click on the the Insights launcher, it says t...

Very simple update query running super slow!
I have two tables: Rugman and PDrive The table look like this: Rugman -- ID (Auto/key) / Number (text!) / location (text) / test (text) PDrive -- ID (Auto/key) / Field1 (text!) The reason I had to use text for Number and Field1, is because there are a few lines what have a number like: 1234-2 I just want to check the Number in table Rugman and see if it does exist in the table PDrive... If it does: field test must be changed to "done" for that record where the numer exists in the other table... Don't get why it's running so slow. I have created also other update queries ...

How do I remove a .PST file from Outlook2003... that has already been physically deleted... COMPLETELY?!
Microsoft Outlook2003 (Upgrade version - from Outlook2000) Hi I cant get MS Outlook to 'forget' a .PST file! Background I have been moving .PST files around and have even managed to upgrade my my mailbox.pst file to the new Outlook2003 format. I thus have a whole new ..PST file into which I have dragged all my emails (using Control/drag for some mysterious reason but it seemed to work!). My new .PST file which is called "Personal_Folders.pst" is the default file for everything. But when I came to let go of the old mailbox.pst file, which shows up as "My Personal Fo...

unable to run standard 1099 report
When a user tries to run the standard 1099 report, she receives the following error message: Modified report cannot be found. Would you like to run the standard one instead? If she selects yes, she is prompted for a password, and then denied access. I have checked that she is running the correct reports dictionary, and she is, and that there is no modified 1099 report. She has full access to all purchasing standard reports. I log in as SA and it runs fine. She gets to her reports by selecting Routines, Purchasing, Print 1099. I'm stumped and appreciate any advice or i...

Office Programs "hang up" on Send Attachment
I am using Office 2007. When I attempt to send an open document from Excel or Word using the Email icon in my small toolbar, the originating program and Outlook "hang up" for about a minute and a half. The document being emailed is saved on a network. Any ideas of what could be causing this issue? might try to see if it hangs via safe mode /w networking. -- db·´¯`·...¸><)))º> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional - Systems Analyst - Database Developer - Accountancy - Veteran of the Armed Forces - Microsoft Partner ...

Outlook program closed but still receives emails
I have Outlook 2k and when I shut the program down it will keep receiving emails. To get this to stop I have to reboot the computer. This has happened ever since I reformatted the HDD and reloaded the OS and Office. I have scanned the system many times with McAfee and the newest DAT files but have found no viri, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling office. What is the problem and solution? when you close outlook, is it def. closed ? is it still running as a task in the background ? N "CM" <viperden@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:01ad01c3ce3b$88b08d10$a301280a...

Outlook can't close completely
Hi, My MS outlook can't close completely After I close my Outlook it gives me a pop up window with wording "Please wait while Microsoft Outlook exits" I've tried to repair it using "Detect and Repair" option but it still doesn work... someone pls help me Regards, Chris ...

VC++ 7.0 makes programs that run slower than VC++ 6.0
In both cases I am maximizing for speed, yet the new compiler produces code that takes 50% more time, is this inherent or do I need to change my optimization (or other) settings? "Peter Olcott" <olcott@att.net> wrote in message news:lDkrf.30566$QW2.9106@dukeread08... > In both cases I am maximizing for speed, yet the new compiler produces > code that takes 50% more time, is this inherent or do I need to change my > optimization (or other) settings? How do you measure that ? -- Vladimir I run the program compiled with each ot the two compilers. 6.0 takes...

Running a macro after document as finished rendering?
Hi, I'd like to update all of the fields in my document when the doc is opened. To do this, I have put ActiveDocument.Fields.Update in the AutoOpen() macro. This works, except for the fields that are dependant on the number of pages in the document. By examining the value of the "Number of pages" property in ActiveDocument.BuiltInDocumentProperties when the macro runs, I see that the number of pages is 3 ( there are actually 26 in my test document ) when the macro runs. If I manually run the macro, the number of pages in this property is correct. I also found that if I ...

RE: Understanding Project's Percent Complete vs. Percent Work Complete
Brian Kennemer wrote the subject-line article several years ago and was very informative/enlightening on how % Complete is computed, etc. However, in this article he showed a Microsoft Project view (Figure A) that had both "Work" and "Actual Work" rows in the detail lines for each resources on a specific task. Where can I find this view. I do need to enter actual hours worked per resource per day on their respective task thanks, David Hamil MaxVision 256-652-4322 David@MaxVision.com Perhaps what you seek is on the resource view or task usage view. Bot...

Error when opening program
I have Outlook98 loaded on my WindowsXP computer. It has worked fine for a long time till it downloaded a spam email, then locked up the program. Now when I try to open the program, I get the following: Outlook.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I can not find where the "inbox" is, to delete all the emails in it. Do you have any suggestions, other than deleteing the program? Thank You. ...

win CE6.0 's KernelIoControl calling in VC program
Hi, My system is ARM9 + CE6.0. Some KernelIOControl are developed with my BSP, and they can be called correctly in drivers. But these KernelIoControl return FALSE when called in subprojects or VC prgram. Thanks for any suggestions. The Same KernelIOControl APIs work fine in CE5.0 based system. The following are the code in VC #define IOCTL_KLIB_USER 256 // where OEM defined IOCTL starts. #define HAL_EM9XXX_BUILT_STAMP_READ 117 #define IOCTL_EM9XXX_BUILT_STAMP_READ CTL_CODE(FILE_DEVICE_HAL, IOCTL_KLIB_USER + HAL_EM9XXX_BUILT_STAMP_READ, METHOD_BUFF...

Can I run a file with a known extension from Excel VBA
Hi, I have a file with a ".mac" extention that's associated with an application in windows. Is there a way that I can have Excel run the file from within VBA? Thanks MikeZz Try something like this - Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, _ ByVal lpOperation As String, _ ByVal lpFile As String, _ ByVal lpParameters As String, _ ByVal lpDirectory As St...

I am completely lost on how to make charts and columns and how to.
A friend and I are doing homework for excel and we are at a total loss, the professor dropped a test on us 2 weeks too early and we don't even have the knowledge for the homework down yet. We can sure use any and all help to get us through this please? ...

Run-time error 4605
I'm getting the following error when I close a Word form: Run-time error 4605 This method or property is not available because the document is a protected document. Thanks for any suggestions! Are there any macros in the document/(template from which it was created)? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Complibr" <Complibr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9951B6E-9511-405E-...

automatically run a macro everyday
Dear all, I am going for vacation in two days. I need to run my VBA code automatically. Everyday, I get one excel workbook by using another macro. This workbook contains some values. I have written a vba code in Excel_Macro.xls which does the work for me. This vba code generates Pivot table in sheets in to Excel_Macro.xls. Script In Excel_Macro.xls Sheets("Pivot_Table").Select With Worksheets("Pivot_Table") Range("A:K").Select With Selection Cells.Clear End With Dim PT_9_Cache ...

How an MFC Application can run as an service displayed in system tray and even this icon can be displayed on different login
Hi, I want to develop one MFC Application which will run as a service and should be displayed in a system tray icon.Since this Application is a service it will keep running.so when i login through different user this icon should be displayed there in the system tray. I was partially successful in creating the MFC as a service and displaying an icon,but if i do a log-off and log-in through different account i can see the service is running in background but there is no icon in system tray.Could any one help me in resolving this issuse. Is there any API which i need to include in my code or j...

check instance running
My application will call another application and would like check is it running or not. Are there any function to check the instance already running? Your information is great apprecaited, Check http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0007.htm at "The Access Web" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele (no e-mails, please!) "iccsi" <inungh@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d755e8d9-8e1b-414f-a115-ae450d48075f@y17g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > My application will call another application and would like check is > i...

outlook running on XP Pro in workgroup mode prompts for password on exchange 2003
we have a windows 2000 network with exchange 2000 local user are members of the domain, remote offices connect via Lan to Lan VPN with 5 or more computers running in workgroup mode. The users in the workgroup have local accounts on there XP pc that match the domain username/password. Currently they local to the exchange server with any issues. Outlook passes there username/password to the exchange server and logs then on. I have added a windows 2003 server and promoted it to a backup ADS server, added another windows 2003 server as a member server. Installed Exchange 2003 SP2. Move all the lo...

Exchange 5.5 Complete headache
Hi all - Please bear with my scenario explanation as I will attempt to explain my issue clearly but also show my thought process. Scenario Promoted to network admin. One domain, one Exchange 5.5 SP4 server on Win2k SP4 member server authenticating to a NT4 Domain (1 x PDC, 1 X BDC). Hardware Raid 5 - 140 Gb space, 90Gb used up. NEVER BEEN REBOOTED NEVER BEEN BACKED UP 80% of 130 staff have mailboxes, others PST...full MAPI functionality used such as calenders, public folders. Requirement I need to back this server up urgently as i'm living on borrowed time. Possible solutions and is...