My Account Settings, Icons, Files are "Missing"

Recently, I booted up and discovered that my personalized icons (under
my account) had disappeared from the desktop. The Account Name is
"Gilxxx" but my data is under "Curxxx"

When I looked closer, I was able to see the directory structure in my
"Documents and Settings" folders, but none of the files.

The files are there, however, as I can play MP3s in Windows Media
Player (and they are in my My Music directory). And, when I tried to add
new desktop icons to "re-create" my old desktop, Windows tells me that a
shortcut with that name already exists (but I can't see it).

I have done a System Restore to a date / time before this was an issue,
and there is no change.

Any ideas?

--
cgilker
cgilker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/175968.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
cgilker

Have you unset "Show desktop icons".?

"cgilker" <cgilker.4524fb@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Recently, I booted up and discovered that my personalized icons (under
> my account) had disappeared from the desktop. The Account Name is
> "Gilxxx" but my data is under "Curxxx"
>
> When I looked closer, I was able to see the directory structure in my
> "Documents and Settings" folders, but none of the files.
>
> The files are there, however, as I can play MP3s in Windows Media
> Player (and they are in my My Music directory). And, when I tried to add
> new desktop icons to "re-create" my old desktop, Windows tells me that a
> shortcut with that name already exists (but I can't see it).
>
> I have done a System Restore to a date / time before this was an issue,
> and there is no change.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> --
> cgilker
> cgilker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/175968.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1294458.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
neil
1/20/2010 4:58:58 PM
Yes, I have done the Show Icons. The issue is that the OS no longer
seems to think I should have access to my customized Settings, Icons,
Files, etc.

--
cgilker
cgilker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/175968.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1294458.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

0
cgilker
1/20/2010 6:30:27 PM
You may need to create a new profile it sounds like the profile is corrupt.
Neil
"cgilker" <cgilker.453qra@DoNotSpam.com> wrote in message

> Yes, I have done the Show Icons. The issue is that the OS no longer
> seems to think I should have access to my customized Settings, Icons,
> Files, etc.
>

> --
> cgilker
> cgilker's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/175968.htm
> View this thread:
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/1294458.htm
>
> http://forums.techarena.in

0
neil

Missing Customer
Has anyone ever had customer's disappear on them. We've got 22 different stores and customers are set to global. Recently a couple of stores have complained that customers are disappearing from their Store Operations systems. Any advice is appreciated, -Bill On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:09:05 -0800, "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Has anyone ever had customer's disappear on them. We've got 22 different >stores and customers are set to global. Recently a couple of stores have >complained that customers are disappearing from their St...

Missing grid lines
I have a standard worksheet that covers the array of cells A4 to Q70 that originally included grid lines. Unfortunately the grid lines have vanished from the segment covered by cells A14 to E65. Using Tools/Options/View to check or uncheck the Gridlines box turns the gridlines on or off but does not restore the gridlines in the bare segment. I have tried everything I could think of to get rid of this annoying situation including copying and pasting to a new worksheet. Nothing I have tried works. I would be grateful if someone would help me solve this problem Hi sounds like the cel...

count number of weeks missing for each individual in a database
Hi, I need to measure attendace for the employees. I have a list of weeks worked (eg. below) for each employee (numbered from 1-54) and I need to work out the weeks that have not been worked and whether they are consecutive or not. Please help :-) bob jack 3 2 4 13 8 14 9 15 10 16 11 17 Hi, If Bob's weeks worked are in range B2:B7, then the weeks missing would be =52-count(B2:B7) -- Regards, Ashish Mathur Microsoft Excel MVP www.ashishmathur.com "pumpkin" <pumpkin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC16C6E1-57C4-4F0B...

Missing email body
I have a Exchange server 2003 SP1 with Windows SP 1. The server was not sending/ receiving email all of a sudden. I rebooted the server and all is well...... except that some users emails the body of the previous saved emails is missing. I can send and receive emails now and view the body of the emails now. The only thing that I can determine right now that it happened to majority of outlook 2003 users and only 1 outlook 2002 user. Anyone have a clue what happened to the body of the emails and if they are recoverable. Any help would be gretly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Morl...

Missing or broken reference error in Access 2003 DB
I cant launch a particular .mdb from a server on my pc. I can launch it from any other computer but not this one in particular. WHen opening the DB I recieve the following error:Your Microsoft Office Access database or project contains a missing or broken reference to the file'sapctrl32.dll' version 1.0*To ensure that your database or project works properly, you must fix this reference.Any thoughts on how I can fix the reference problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your effort. You have to install the specified .dll file on the computer that you aretrying to open the d...

Files "type" has been changed
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) We have 5 Mac users on our network and recently moved all of our files (PC and Mac) from one server to another. Now most, but not all of the documents have lost their file extensions and show up as an executable, i.e. document.doc is now document. The old server was 2003. The new server is 2008. With all due respect, wha does this have to do with Office? Surely it was the program that copied the files wrongly? Can you not just rename them, or debug the copy program? --rms www.rmschneider.com joycetheater@officeformac.com wrote...

missing send to one Note in IE
hallo I have One Note 2007 and Wibdows XP sp3- I miss in Ie the menu send to OneNote. How can i get that back? thanks for help Susanne Susanne mohn wrote: > hallo > I have One Note 2007 and Wibdows XP sp3- I miss in Ie the menu send to > OneNote. > How can i get that back? Check the Add-ons installed Rainald P.S. Which version of IE? hi i have 3 office controls: template, office 12 - no with OneNote I have IE 7. Susan "Rainald Taesler" wrote: > Susanne mohn wrote: > > hallo > > I have One Note 2007 and Wibdows ...

missing .DLL (Outlook 2002) PLEASE HELP!!
After reinstallation of Windows, I am greeted with this error message every time I click on my Outlook Today "The procedure entry point GetIUMS could not be located in the dynamic link library MSDART.DLL" I can click OK 5-6 times, and it will go away, but it's quite annoying/forboding. I don't have an Office CD--it can installed on a Gateway PC. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated Visit Windows Update to get the latest version of MDAC. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus ...

Text Missing From Ribbon Items
Four some reason today when I'm in a form's design view and multi-select items, the Position tab is missing the text that were associated with it's items. For instance the Equal Horizontal and Equal vertical, among other text is missing now, only the icons is present. The text was present this morning. Any ideas on this? James ...

Outlook calendar entries missing
I've got some users who create a meeting in Outlook 2003 with invitees but when they send it or update it then send the updates the meeting gets deleted from both the sender and receivers. This only appears to happen when the meeting is created in Outlook 2003 but the meeting is getting deleted from both Outlook 2000 and 2003 users. This is with Office 2003 pre-SP1. Has anybody seen this before or know a possible fix? I've looked through the 2003 SP1 documentation and don't see any reference to this. ...

exchange2000 volume is missing !!!
Dear all, our server power supply just burned out and after replacing it the exchange volume was gone.... Any help or Ideas please .... Please HELP me Put the drive in another system to determine if the data is still there and if the drive is even functional. If it is, then you can start looking at how to get exchange set up again. "Rami" <rami_hasan74@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:11d4e01c3f571$675a8140$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Dear all, > our server power supply just burned out and after > replacing it the exchange volume was gone.... > > Any help or Ide...

missing file
need to know where to get msstdfmt.dll file to download ...

Picture missing and unable to re-insert?
Hi. I've been putting together a powerpoint 2003 slideshow purely with images for use in a theatre production (projections). All was fine and I had been fine tuning the presentation however this morning I found that the presentation had dropped an image from the slideshow. Powerpoint will not let me insert this image again and if I try it on a new slide or even a new presentation the image will not insert. I can view the JPEG image on many microsoft programs and I had been viewing it with no problems before this morning. Very frustrating. Any help would be great. Thanks. Kier...

missing MSOE.DLL file
Help! My husband erased some items on the computer and Outlook cannot be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded. Where can I download this file? Have you tried the Detect/Repair option in Outlook? mdh "Trex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0a9601c3b2af$cd22d9a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Help! My husband erased some items on the computer and > Outlook cannot be started because MSOE.DLL could not be > loaded. > > Where can I download this file? ...

Outlook Express missing Inbox
A couple of days ago I had problems with an error message, could not see the server. At the same time my inbox weny AWOL. Any clues how to restore? see tomsterdam.com to learn how to reconnect it- the missing mail is in a file called inbox*.dbx. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:c20701c3...

Some gridlines missing
I have some worksheets where some, but not all of the gridlines are missing. Using Tools/Options/View and unchecking and then checking makes no difference. Any solution? I'd like to have them. have you been playing with conditional formatting? or Maybe you filled the cells in as white, try highliting the sheet and select no fill -- davesexcel ------------------------------------------------------------------------ davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31708 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=526345 ...

Missing CRM Task Bar
We recently performed a 3.0 roll-out and on a few of the machines the CRM Task Bar is not appearing when compossing an email? Any ideas? -- Thank you for the help!! Richard Page MSc. What other add-ins do they have installed in Outlook? If you look at HELP/ABOUT in outlook is anything disabled? -- Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM President, The Norwich Group Principal, GlobalBrain LLC The CRM Lady at www.CRMLady.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, O...

Missing E-mails #3
On two occasions, I have had user question me regarding e-mails that they did not receive. In both cases, I have tracked the questionable e-mail using the Exchange System Manager message-tracking tool. In both cases, the Exchange System Manager showed that the e-mail was delivered to the person’s mailbox but a manual search of their Inbox reveals that the e-mail is missing. In addition, the e-mails in both cases were sent to multiple recipients. Also, to complicate matters the two cases happen within a week of each other with two different individuals. I am running Exchange 2000 on Win...

Missing free/busy folder
Hello, I recently came across an environment (upgrade from NT 4.0 / Exchange 5.5) where the Free/Busy folders were not properly migrated. The folders are now completly missing from their Exchange 2003 environment. Is there a way to generate this folder (or any of the system folders for that matter) now that the environment is up and running? -Jim Hi Jim, Please see the following two KB articles: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;284200 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;275171 HTH, Katherine Coombs "Jim Walter" <jimtexasbopbopb...

Calendar & contacts missing in personal foldeer
I have a PST file in my Outlook 2003 but when I bring up the folder list, both contacts and calendar are missing but I can click on the CONTACTS, and CALENDAR buttons and it shows up. Both of these are there but not showing inthe folder list. All I want to do is use the PST folder list and not the favorites folder or buttons. How can I put back the contacts and calendar in my folder list? Thanks, Kevin Click on the "folder" icon at the bottom of the left-hand pane... Kevin H wrote: > I have a PST file in my Outlook 2003 but when I bring up > the folder list, both cont...

Office 2007 missing Arial Rounded font
I have Office 2007 Basic; my son has Office 2007 Educational version; both Windows 7. Microsoft's says that Office 2007 has Arial Rounded, but it is missing on both PCs. Could not find where to install additional fonts from installation DVD. Could not find from Internet search. Tried Repair Install, this did not help. This is my first visit to this newsgroup. Any advice? Please note fonts are dependent on the make and model of your printer. If you have a laser printer with PCL5 or PCL6 and PS capability then you are likely to have most of the fonts on Office 2007. ...

On Reply to/Forward to
Hi Outlook2007 SP3 when replying/forwarding a message sometimes the icon with the purpul/blue arrow is not showing... we have removed the mailbox and reinstalled - no change we have removed profile and reinstalled - no change we have cleared all views - no change we have moved the icon column to be 3rd like Outlook2003 - no change we have downgraded the SP to SP1 - no change Does anyone have an idea how to get the icons back so i'd know if I replied/forward this message??? With Outlook closed, rename the outcmd.dat file, see if that helps. "Anat" <Anat@discussions.micr...

Missing button restaure
Hi, when a write a new message I like use the tool back( it's the blue arrow ) if a make an error or the buttom restaure. But, I'm not able to find the buttom restaure. I have only one blue arrow to move back but I need the other bleu arrow to restaure. I have two blue arrow in word. Can we have this here too ? Please help me! thanks, Julie "gazelle22" <gazelle22@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDAE7A99-E6F6-4E87-982A-D760FCE71F81@microsoft.com... > Hi, when a write a new message I like use the tool back( it's the blue...

Handling Missing Fields in Raw/Imported Data
This is what I want my database to do: Import some raw data (about boats) in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. Some of the fields imported will be superfluous - no problem - they'll be ignored. Some will be essential - no problem - if they're not there it isn't going to work. But some of them will be 'optional'. Eg. I really need to know (roughly) how big a boat is so I need to have either a "Boat Type" field OR a "Boat Name" field. (I could have both, in which case I'll just use the name and look up the exact length in a table). So my current p...

To Do List Missing in Windows Live Desktop
I would like to have access offline to the to do list I am creating online through windows live but I cannot find where the to do list appears in Windows live Desktop. The Calendar events are syncing great - so it's not a problem with syncing - I simply can't see anywhere to access the to do list on WLD To Do is a web UI option, not locally available in Windows Live Mail. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "timothy0072" <timothy0072@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B82C97A8-9759-4BB2-B2C1-BE46E475728C@microsoft.com... > I would like t...