installing a new master hdd

I cannot boot XP on my hp pavilion 7935 PC-- I have only been able to access
the OS with an ERD Boot Disk to recover files. But I have a slew of programs
on it too.

 Someone suggested that I use another  pc, make the current hdd a slave, and
be able to use it that way. But all I have is a laptop with vista.

Since I have a set of HP installation disks for that PC and OS, can I simply
install a new hdd and install XP on that to set as master, then use the
current one as a slave? I guess the question is can I do that using the HP
disks? I believe the disks are capable of formatting and doing a clean
recovery install.

I don't want to waste money buying a new hdd first and finding out it won't
work this way.

thanks

frog

0
frogliver

On Apr 6, 3:59=A0pm, "frogliver" <f_gli...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I cannot boot XP on my hp pavilion 7935 PC-- I have only been able to acc=
ess
> the OS with an ERD Boot Disk to recover files. But I have a slew of progr=
ams
> on it too.
>
> =A0Someone suggested that I use another =A0pc, make the current hdd a sla=
ve, and
> be able to use it that way. But all I have is a laptop with vista.
>
> Since I have a set of HP installation disks for that PC and OS, can I sim=
ply
> install a new hdd and install XP on that to set as master, then use the
> current one as a slave? I guess the question is can I do that using the H=
> disks? I believe the disks are capable of formatting and doing a clean
> recovery install.
>
> I don't want to waste money buying a new hdd first and finding out it won=
't
> work this way.
>
> thanks
>
> frog

Since the programs were "installed" on the now defunct drive, no
matter what you do, you will still have to re-install them all.
Windows programs "install" themselves into the Registry and then can
not be easily transferred from a "non-working" drive.
0
smlunatick
4/6/2010 3:19:36 PM
Thanks. I was under the impression that if you had a master with the same OS
then you would be able to access all of the functions, including programs,
of the slave as if it were another partition or similar. None of the input
suggesting I do it this way mentioned losing the function of programs, but I
definitely need to check that out.

frog

"smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Apr 6, 3:59 pm, "frogliver" <f_gli...@nospam.com> wrote:
> I cannot boot XP on my hp pavilion 7935 PC-- I have only been able to
> access
> the OS with an ERD Boot Disk to recover files. But I have a slew of
> programs
> on it too.
>
> Someone suggested that I use another pc, make the current hdd a slave, and
> be able to use it that way. But all I have is a laptop with vista.
>
> Since I have a set of HP installation disks for that PC and OS, can I
> simply
> install a new hdd and install XP on that to set as master, then use the
> current one as a slave? I guess the question is can I do that using the HP
> disks? I believe the disks are capable of formatting and doing a clean
> recovery install.
>
> I don't want to waste money buying a new hdd first and finding out it
> won't
> work this way.
>
> thanks
>
> frog

Since the programs were "installed" on the now defunct drive, no
matter what you do, you will still have to re-install them all.
Windows programs "install" themselves into the Registry and then can
not be easily transferred from a "non-working" drive.

0
frogliver
4/6/2010 3:33:28 PM
You *will not* be able to run programs on your old drive, when its accessed
as a slave. That's the way its been since win9*
Programs have to be installed when booted from the current (new) drive, even
if you choose to install said programs on another partition

"frogliver" <f_gliver@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thanks. I was under the impression that if you had a master with the same
> OS then you would be able to access all of the functions, including
> programs, of the slave as if it were another partition or similar. None of
> the input suggesting I do it this way mentioned losing the function of
> programs, but I definitely need to check that out.
>
> frog
>

> "smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Apr 6, 3:59 pm, "frogliver" <f_gli...@nospam.com> wrote:
>> I cannot boot XP on my hp pavilion 7935 PC-- I have only been able to
>> access
>> the OS with an ERD Boot Disk to recover files. But I have a slew of
>> programs
>> on it too.
>>
>> Someone suggested that I use another pc, make the current hdd a slave,
>> and
>> be able to use it that way. But all I have is a laptop with vista.
>>
>> Since I have a set of HP installation disks for that PC and OS, can I
>> simply
>> install a new hdd and install XP on that to set as master, then use the
>> current one as a slave? I guess the question is can I do that using the
>> HP
>> disks? I believe the disks are capable of formatting and doing a clean
>> recovery install.
>>
>> I don't want to waste money buying a new hdd first and finding out it
>> won't
>> work this way.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> frog
>
> Since the programs were "installed" on the now defunct drive, no
> matter what you do, you will still have to re-install them all.
> Windows programs "install" themselves into the Registry and then can
> not be easily transferred from a "non-working" drive.

0
DL
4/6/2010 4:18:05 PM
"DL" <invalid@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You *will not* be able to run programs on your old drive, when its
> accessed as a slave. That's the way its been since win9*
> Programs have to be installed when booted from the current (new) drive,
> even if you choose to install said programs on another partition

Thanks for the clarification.  Well that changes my plans back to trying to
fix the boot problem with XP.  New question is: does anybody know how to fix
the XP boot when I get the error window:

Sessions_initialization_failed
Stop: OxOOOOOO71

It won't boot into anything other than this and the only way I know to
access the OS is through ERD Commander. Is there any way I can use ERD to
fix the booting problem that you know of? I can get to DOS through the
Recovery CDs (that do not work) also. I have tried every set of commands I
have found to fix booting but nothing works so far.

frog

0
frogliver
4/6/2010 6:31:31 PM
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:59:30 -0500, "frogliver" <f_gliver@nospam.com>
wrote:

> I cannot boot XP on my hp pavilion 7935 PC-- I have only been able to access
> the OS with an ERD Boot Disk to recover files. But I have a slew of programs
> on it too.
>
>  Someone suggested that I use another  pc, make the current hdd a slave, and
> be able to use it that way. But all I have is a laptop with vista.
>
> Since I have a set of HP installation disks for that PC and OS, can I simply
> install a new hdd and install XP on that to set as master, then use the
> current one as a slave? I guess the question is can I do that using the HP
> disks? I believe the disks are capable of formatting and doing a clean
> recovery install.
>
> I don't want to waste money buying a new hdd first and finding out it won't
> work this way.

Although yes, you can essentially do what you ask, be aware of the
following:

1. You will be able to access the data files on the old drive, but...

2. ...you will *not* be able to run the program files on the old hard
drive. . Except for a very occasional very small program, all programs
have entries and references within the registry and elsewhere in
\windows. A program can't be run under Windows unless it was installed
in that copy of Windows. You will have to reinstall your programs from
the original media after you install Windows on the new drive

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
4/6/2010 8:07:44 PM
pretty sure I have run programs on a slave drive under 98

"DL" <invalid@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You *will not* be able to run programs on your old drive, when its
> accessed as a slave. That's the way its been since win9*
> Programs have to be installed when booted from the current (new) drive,
> even if you choose to install said programs on another partition
>
> "frogliver" <f_gliver@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks. I was under the impression that if you had a master with the same
>> OS then you would be able to access all of the functions, including
>> programs, of the slave as if it were another partition or similar. None
>> of the input suggesting I do it this way mentioned losing the function of
>> programs, but I definitely need to check that out.
>>
>> frog
>>

>> "smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Apr 6, 3:59 pm, "frogliver" <f_gli...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>> I cannot boot XP on my hp pavilion 7935 PC-- I have only been able to
>>> access
>>> the OS with an ERD Boot Disk to recover files. But I have a slew of
>>> programs
>>> on it too.
>>>
>>> Someone suggested that I use another pc, make the current hdd a slave,
>>> and
>>> be able to use it that way. But all I have is a laptop with vista.
>>>
>>> Since I have a set of HP installation disks for that PC and OS, can I
>>> simply
>>> install a new hdd and install XP on that to set as master, then use the
>>> current one as a slave? I guess the question is can I do that using the
>>> HP
>>> disks? I believe the disks are capable of formatting and doing a clean
>>> recovery install.
>>>
>>> I don't want to waste money buying a new hdd first and finding out it
>>> won't
>>> work this way.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> frog
>>
>> Since the programs were "installed" on the now defunct drive, no
>> matter what you do, you will still have to re-install them all.
>> Windows programs "install" themselves into the Registry and then can
>> not be easily transferred from a "non-working" drive.

0
Colin

Install Excel XP and 2003 on same Computer
I have an Excel spreadsheet that was done in 2003 with data list, XP does not see the drop down arrows that was created in 2003. I have 2003 at my office and XP at home, how can I install 2003 on my home computer to finish the sheet with out uninstalling XP. You can install both versions on the same machine. There's information in the following MSKB article: How to run multiple versions of Excel on the same computer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214388 Without installing Excel 2003 on your home computer, you can see the dropdown arrows if you apply an AutoFilter to the list. ...

Timing of payroll year end tax update installation
I am trying ot find out if the 2007 year end tax update for GP v9 can be applied prior to running the final payroll for the year. If this is just a form update can it be done early to avoid so much stress at the end of the year? Has anyone tried this? (I do not mean the new tax table update for 2008) -- Diane Burbank Dynamics GP Consultant Yes, it can be applied at any time. However, it is not just a form update. It includes service pack 3. The installation will require all users be out of GP during the procedure. All workstations must be updated. Make backups of the databases and the...

Error on default installation
Hi there. First of all let me explain that working with MS CRM is new for me and my first time. I've just installed the default MS CRM database and created the 6 users, etc. I am now trying to create a new email/lead/topic/etc. When doing that I get an error ======================================================= Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (crmFormSubmitXml="<emailactivity><acti..."). Description: Req...

Side-by-side installation of Visio 2003 and VEA that came with VS 1.0 Enterprise
Please let me know if installation of both Visio 2003 and VEA that came with VS 1.0 Enterprise on the same machine is officially supported. I can't speak for M$, but they respond that it does work (although a pain in the butt to reboot when you need to move from one to the other, also since the VEA version is really v2002 understand the VEA version may not read the v2003 files). Al "TomTom" <no_spam@nospamfordiscussion.com> wrote in message news:OZTSpD2ZEHA.3708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Please let me know if installation of both Visio 2003 and VEA that came >...

After installation , cannot start Money2004
Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Error signature: AppName: msmoney.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.613 ModName : mnyob99.dll ModVer: 12.0.0.613 Offset: 000dc6e5 How to i solve the problem? thanks ...

FORMULA USING MASTER QTY
have a 12 month period where i enter a master qty per month not to exceed 6 (ie 1.3 = 9 units) how do i sum the period and have excel calculate the formula. ns what would that formula be? todd, I don't know about anyone else but I don't follow what it is you are asking. Can you give more details and possibly a (text) example. -- Regards Sandy sandymann@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk "todd" <todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1450E1A-1C25-48EA-A125-45AA529222C0@microsoft.com... > have a 12 month period where i enter...

0xD0000005 Error during XP/SP2 Installation
During the clean up phase I got this error mesage 0xD0000005. It was during the cleanup phase and it stated that my XP system is unusable. As of this minute I am able to start my IE, get my outlook express emails. System LOOKS OK to me! Was unable to find out what the message means. Some websites SEEM to indicate its registry errors and offers cures for the problem. I am leery about using any of those! Since it also said that the system is unusable I am not too sure I want to shut it down until I get a clear resolution. Any help is appreciated...... I did no SP2 or ...

New to XSLT and can't select even the first node... Any Help?
Hey, brand new to XSL and XSLT. I've downloaded an evaluation copy of XML Spy to debug my transformation, but I can't get to frist base. Can anyone help my get straightened out? My XSLT is: <?xml version="1.0"?> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"> <xsl:output method="xml" /> <xsl:template match="/"> <xsl:for-each select="DataSet_Studio_Appt_Dates/Studio_Appt_Date_Times"> <ItWorked>YEAH</ItWorked> </xsl:for-each> </xsl:t...

RMS Store Ops = Not Responding on Master Register?
Hello, I have a store where the RMS Store Ops will not open up on the master registers, but both the Slaves can see the database fine on master and can function normally. It does not matter if you double click or right click and select "open" the response is the same in Task Manager = Microsoft Store Operation POS -- Not Responding. I have try a repaired from Add/Remove Hardware, and everything else seem fine. I am looking to head to the store to re-load the RMS software from the CD-ROM or moving the database to a replacement PC. Has anyone else encounter this problem befo...

Outlook 2003 slow when sending a new message
Hi, We have noticed that Outlook 2003, running on the new exchange server is slow to send a message. They sit in the 'Outbox' for about a minute, then send. This is on a corporate site, that used to send everything instantaneously. Any ideas? Thanks! Heidi ...

New Mail desktop alert #2
I have two E mail accounts - hotmail and tiscali. I have set up new mail destop alert but this only works in respect of my tiscali account (POP) but not for hotmail. The former comes into the "general" inbox whereas Hotmail comes into. its own Hotmail in box - is this the reason for the difference in the two accounts? Can I configure Outlook so that the Alert works with Hotmail as well. I use Outlook Live . Any help would be appreciated. Roy Shopland The alerts only work with the default message store and pop accounts. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourse...

Cannot add new transactions
The problem happens recently. No matter I manually download activities or use the automatic update services, I can't get any transactions displayed. The "Items to review" on the left does say there are new transactions arrived, they just don't show up. What should I do to fix the problem? In microsoft.public.money, OC wrote: >The problem happens recently. No matter I manually download activities or >use the automatic update services, I can't get any transactions displayed. >The "Items to review" on the left does say there are new transaction...

Creating a button that goes to the next new record
I am fairly new to access and i am trying to build an inventory database that lists all our grounds maintenance equipment. I have all the records typed in but would like a button for adding new equipment as it is purchased. Ideally the button will take me to the next new record rather than an existing one. What is the easiest way of doing this? I am using Access 2003 At the bottom of your form, there are navigation buttons, like this: |< < [ 5] > >| * of 77 records The star button takes you to a new record. If you don't see this, open the form in design view, an...

Can't install Excell 2007
I successfully installed Excel 2007 on my desktop computer, but am unable to install it on my laptop. I get an error message stating that set-up can not find the following file: office-en-us/officeMUIset.xml I tried locating the file in all the directories on the CD, but can't find it. Can anyone help? ...

CRM installation stoped with error msi cannot be installed
Hi I was trying to install CRM server on 2003 mechine . MSMQ,Indexing service, IIS, SQL2000 with SP3 are all installed. all the above services are running. But when i install crm stops reporting msi cannot install error 80004005 . i checked the event log and there it says APS server cannot be started or contacted odbc error. i belive Cristal report services are getting installed but cannot be accessed. Did any one come across such a problum. Is it authentacation problem. i dont have a password on my windows admin account but i have a passoword for sa account in sql server . please ...

Just installed MS Outlook '07. Unable to send messages.
Hit send/reply button; Received message undeliverable with following error message: 550 please configure mail client to use authentication. Don't know what this means and/or what to do. Please help. You have to set up your mail account to submit a password to both your POP3 and SMTP servers. -- Kathleen Orland Please support me in my efforts: SPCA Friends for Life 2010 Walk-A-Thon http://ontariospca.akaraisin.com/p/kathleenorland.aspx "Louie" <Louie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91BC5A00-C021-4CFD-89CA-C5BF4B1E83F1@microsoft.com......

New article: How to install BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express on a SBS 2008
Hello all, We have a free article for you. There is no registration needed to view the article or to download the pdf. How to install BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express on a SBS 2008 http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articles/tabid/266/Id/343/How-to-install-BlackBerry-Enterprise-Server-Express-on-a-SBS-2008.aspx Special thanks to Jason Miller, Les Connor and Michael B. Smith for helping on this article. All are Microsoft MVP's. If you have questions logon to our site and go to the forums at: http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53 You need to register an acco...

New record dosn't work?
The new record button at the bottom of some quires or forms dosn't respond when I click on it. What have done wrong? Using Access 2007. On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:22:01 -0800, Keyman65 <Keyman65@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: You may have a query that is not-updatable. That is pretty normal for complex queries and certain classes of queries such as GroupBy and Union queries that are never updatable. Sometimes DISTINCTROW will make a query updatable. -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >The new record button at the bottom of some quires or forms dosn't respond &...

"display a notification message when new mail arrives" checkbox resets
Hi there, I have an annoying little problem here. I have a new windows XP PC running Office XP (2002). In MS Outlook I have set my "display a notification message when new mail arrives" setting, but every time I exit and reenter the application this checkbox is no longer marked. It gets reset for some reason. I have downloaded all patches from Microsoft's site, but to no avail. Any suggestions are appreciates. Thanks in advance. Mike ...

can't install KB978542
Windows Update has failed to install KB978542 several times on my Win XP machine. How to troubleshoot? "Jeff Ingman" wrote: > Windows Update has failed to install KB978542 several times on my Win XP > machine. How to troubleshoot? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602 Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3? Is Windows Live Mail installed? What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Has a(another) Norton or McAfee a...

Installing add-ins to Publisher 2002
I'm a former Mac user. Adding extensions on the Mac was a simple function of dropping the new extension file into the extension folder of the application. On the PC, I've just downloaded several "add-ins" for Publisher 2002. They're sitting on my desktop in zip files. How do I install or apply those add-in files to Publisher 2002? Tools, add-ins, browse... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "geacea" <geacea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D8615184-7156-4642-866...

Outlook 2003 closes when saving new Note
Hi, I've got a problem with Outlook 2003 and cant find the answer anywhere. I use Notes, well I would like to, in Outlook 2003; I can create the Note fine, but as soon as I click on the X to close the Note I get 'Microsoft Office Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.' and then the option to Restart Outlook or not, either way Outlook closes. The error signature is: - AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.8312.0 AppStamp:4a403990 ModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 ModStamp:00000000 fDebug: 0 Offs...

Compose new message text in Plain Text mode
Plain Text format is very small. How do I increase it ? It was OK for a month or so but now is very small? I can increase it in Rich Text mode OK. WLM Menu/View/Text Size - increase the size -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Maurice" <mplewton@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:C12C3B6C-F663-4AA6-9A6C-B332E26E386F@microsoft.com... > Plain Text format is very small. > How do I increase it ? > It was OK for a month or so but now is very small? > > I can increase it in Rich Text mode OK. > ...

Can't install Office 08 for mac.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I am now really frustrated... Have bought Office 08 Student and Home Edition in Birmingham about 3 weeks ago, have typed in the serial number which was then accepted, no problem, and the software generated my product ID, also no problem. However, it then showed that install failed because CAN NOT FIND THE CONTENT.. What's going on????? Please help... Thanks. I had a similar problem installing Office 2008, but only when it tried to update to 12.1. My solution was to drag the Office 2008 folder to the trash and rein...

"New mail notification" sound
Hello, Suddenly I'm getting a PC Speaker beep, instead of the .wav sound I specified in Control Panel / Sounds. I've tried changing it to several different wavs and the same thing happens. Just a beep. Why is it beeping? How do I get the sound to work again? (it used to, and I dont know what's changed). Thanks... Owen http://www.binarybaby.co.uk electronic noises that vaguely resemble music You need to make sure that you have the MS Office Sounds installed on your pc. I don't mean the sound files (.wav), there is an actual software installation for this feature. ...