Error message - can't create new folder on external HDD.

I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.

Win XP Pro, SP3.

I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to the
right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.

This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external HDD.

I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on the
two HDDs that are internal to the computer.

Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).

I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?

0
Anode

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:41:05 +0100, "Anode" <notvalid> wrote:

>I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.
>
>Win XP Pro, SP3.
>
>I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to the
>right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.
>
>This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
>The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>
>I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external HDD.
>
>I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on the
>two HDDs that are internal to the computer.
>
>Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).
>
>I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?

Chkdsk might be able to tell you what kind of corruption, if any,
exists.

On the other hand, it may be easier to copy (or zip) all the files on
the "corrupt" disk to one of your other disks, reformat the disk,
verify that you can create the new directory as desired, and copy (or
unzip) everything back to where it was.

--
Remove del for email
0

ju.c

"Anode" <notvalid> wrote in message news:SP2dnQAAS_MZ_0nWnZ2dnUVZ8iqdnZ2d@pipex.net...
> I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.
>
> Win XP Pro, SP3.
>
> I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to the
> right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.
>
> This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
> The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>
> I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external HDD.
>
> I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on the
> two HDDs that are internal to the computer.
>
> Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).
>
> I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?

0
ju
4/26/2010 6:10:47 AM
"Barry Schwarz" <schwarzb@dqel.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 16:41:05 +0100, "Anode" <notvalid> wrote:
>
>>I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.
>>
>>Win XP Pro, SP3.
>>
>>I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to
>>the
>>right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.
>>
>>This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
>>The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>>
>>I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external
>>HDD.
>>
>>I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on
>>the
>>two HDDs that are internal to the computer.
>>
>>Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).
>>
>>I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help please?
>>

> Chkdsk might be able to tell you what kind of corruption, if any,
> exists.
>
> On the other hand, it may be easier to copy (or zip) all the files on
> the "corrupt" disk to one of your other disks, reformat the disk,
> verify that you can create the new directory as desired, and copy (or
> unzip) everything back to where it was.
>
> --
After running chkdsk it was possible to create new folders again.

Thank you,

Anode.

0
Anode
4/26/2010 8:29:00 PM
"ju.c" <bibidybubidyboop@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> Is the hard drive formatted?
>

> ju.c

It is indeed. Chkdsk got it working again.

Thank you.

Anode.

> "Anode" <notvalid> wrote in message
>> I cannot create a new folder on an external HDD.
>>
>> Win XP Pro, SP3.
>>
>> I go to My Computer, and select the external HDD letter. Then go over to
>> the right-hand pane, right click and select New, then Folder.
>>
>> This produces an error message "Unable to create the folder 'New Folder'
>> The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."
>>
>> I can save and retrieve a Word document all right to this same external
>> HDD.
>>
>> I can use the above method to create a new folder on the desktop, and on
>> the two HDDs that are internal to the computer.
>>
>> Virus and malware scans are negative (Norton antivirus and Malwarebytes).
>>
>> I want to create new folders on this external HDD. Can anyone help
>> please?

0
Anode

Create csv
Is there an easy way in asp.net to dump out a comma-delimited file from an SQL view or stored proc? Thanks. -- David Well there's a couple ways. As a one off you could cut and paste into access and export the table. Maybe excel as well. Programmatically. Depends how experienced you are with ssis whether you count it as "easy". google ssis csv export "DavidC" <dlchase@lifetimeinc.com> wrote in message news:93BCFD0A-1944-4C9E-B0B6-7697AA070625@microsoft.com... > Is there an easy way in asp.net to dump out a comma-delimited file from an &...

XCH Error 3092, OAB replication

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1

sharing of folders

Outlook 2003

Sony HDR-XR200V 120GB HDD High Definition Camcorder w/15x Optical Zoom
Price:$999.99 Image: http://specialdealfinder.info/image.php?id=B001QBM9EM Best deal: http://specialdealfinder.info/index.php?id=B001QBM9EM In my opinion, the camcorder deserves 4/5 stars. The HD picture quality outdoors (rain or shine) is PHENOMAL. I got a similar picture in SD. It wasn't quite as sharp as HD but still an EXCELLENT picture. The sound quality is amazing. I had no problem with wind noise when outside on windy days. The camcorder itself is lightweight and I found the menus and buttons to be user-friendly. I read several negative reviews on the included Sony softwa...

Message comes as an attachment

Creating new attributes

transferring to new pc

adding name /creating field/query?