can't setup home network

Hi All,

I am using windows xp home sr3.  For some reason I can't setup a network on
my desktop computer.this is my main computer.  It is connected through an
Ethernet card.  I get a network is not started or present error message.  Is
there something I need to check that might be turned off on this computer?
thanks for any help.

--

Regards, Gary Metzler
send to: gmtravel@bellsouth.net

0
Gary

Gary Metzler wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using windows xp home sr3.  For some reason I can't setup a network on
> my desktop computer.this is my main computer.  It is connected through an
> Ethernet card.  I get a network is not started or present error message.  Is
> there something I need to check that might be turned off on this computer?
> thanks for any help.

	Be sure you have the correct WinXP-specific device drivers (from the
manufacturer's web site) for your Ethernet NIC installed, and that the
NIC is enabled in Device Manager.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
12/6/2009 4:59:19 PM
your question is a little vague.

however, if you are trying to
connect the pc directly to the
broadband router "or"

you are trying to connect the
pc to another computer,

you should use a "cross over"
network cable.

you may also have to temporarily
turn off your firewalls and a.v.'s
to ensure that they are not mis-
configured and hampering your
efforts.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am using windows xp home sr3.  For some reason I can't setup a network
> on my desktop computer.this is my main computer.  It is connected through
> an Ethernet card.  I get a network is not started or present error
> message.  Is there something I need to check that might be turned off on
> this computer? thanks for any help.
>
> --
>
> Regards, Gary Metzler
> send to: gmtravel@bellsouth.net
> http://www.outtasighttravel.com
> Msn messenger:  gmetzler1150@hotmail.com
> Skype name:  garymetz

0
db
12/6/2009 5:01:08 PM
Hi Db,

I went into control panel and windows firewall and I got the following
error:
Windows Firewall (Dialog)
Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
service. (Static Text)
OK (Button)
Is there something I can do to fix this?  thanks for any help.
"db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> your question is a little vague.
>
> however, if you are trying to
> connect the pc directly to the
> broadband router "or"
>
> you are trying to connect the
> pc to another computer,
>
> you should use a "cross over"
> network cable.
>
> you may also have to temporarily
> turn off your firewalls and a.v.'s
> to ensure that they are not mis-
> configured and hampering your
> efforts.
>
> --
> db���`�...�><)))�>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
> - Systems Analyst
> - Database Developer
> - Accountancy
> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
> -  @Hotmail.com
> -  nntp Postologist
> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

> "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using windows xp home sr3.  For some reason I can't setup a network
>> on my desktop computer.this is my main computer.  It is connected through
>> an Ethernet card.  I get a network is not started or present error
>> message.  Is there something I need to check that might be turned off on
>> this computer? thanks for any help.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards, Gary Metzler
>> send to: gmtravel@bellsouth.net
>> http://www.outtasighttravel.com
>> Msn messenger:  gmetzler1150@hotmail.com
>> Skype name:  garymetz

0
Gary
12/7/2009 12:43:06 AM
try going to admin tools via
control panel and click on
services.

--

> Hi Db,
>
> I went into control panel and windows firewall and I got the following
> error:
> Windows Firewall (Dialog)
> Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
> (ICS) service. (Static Text)
> OK (Button)
> Is there something I can do to fix this?  thanks for any help.
> "db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> your question is a little vague.
>>
>> however, if you are trying to
>> connect the pc directly to the
>> broadband router "or"
>>
>> you are trying to connect the
>> pc to another computer,
>>
>> you should use a "cross over"
>> network cable.
>>
>> you may also have to temporarily
>> turn off your firewalls and a.v.'s
>> to ensure that they are not mis-
>> configured and hampering your
>> efforts.
>>
>> --
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> -  @Hotmail.com
>> -  nntp Postologist
>> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>

>> "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I am using windows xp home sr3.  For some reason I can't setup a network
>>> on my desktop computer.this is my main computer.  It is connected
>>> through an Ethernet card.  I get a network is not started or present
>>> error message.  Is there something I need to check that might be turned
>>> off on this computer? thanks for any help.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Regards, Gary Metzler
>>> send to: gmtravel@bellsouth.net
>>> http://www.outtasighttravel.com
>>> Msn messenger:  gmetzler1150@hotmail.com
>>> Skype name:  garymetz

0
db
12/7/2009 3:09:51 PM
Hi DB,

I noticed something.  Most of the time when I boot up my system I get an
svchost.exe error.  today I didn't get such an error.  When I don't get that
error the windows firewall works fine.  What can I do to fix this?  thanks
> try going to admin tools via
> control panel and click on
> services.
>

> --
> db���`�...�><)))�>
> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
> - Systems Analyst
> - Database Developer
> - Accountancy
> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
> -  @Hotmail.com
> -  nntp Postologist
> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

> "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Hi Db,
>>
>> I went into control panel and windows firewall and I got the following
>> error:
>> Windows Firewall (Dialog)
>> Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
>> (ICS) service. (Static Text)
>> OK (Button)
>> Is there something I can do to fix this?  thanks for any help.
>> "db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> your question is a little vague.
>>>
>>> however, if you are trying to
>>> connect the pc directly to the
>>> broadband router "or"
>>>
>>> you are trying to connect the
>>> pc to another computer,
>>>
>>> you should use a "cross over"
>>> network cable.
>>>
>>> you may also have to temporarily
>>> turn off your firewalls and a.v.'s
>>> to ensure that they are not mis-
>>> configured and hampering your
>>> efforts.
>>>
>>> --
>>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>>> - Systems Analyst
>>> - Database Developer
>>> - Accountancy
>>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>>> -  @Hotmail.com
>>> -  nntp Postologist
>>> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>>
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>>

>>> "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

0
Gary
12/7/2009 7:53:28 PM
not sure?

service host errors are usually
caused by third party programs.

what you might try to do is to
initiate a clean boot and see if
the error dissipates.

a clean boot requires the disabling
of programs and non microsoft
services that start with the desktop.

what you can try is to click on start>
run>msconfig

when you launch msconfig go to
to the startup tab and disable the
programs that are checked.

you may want to jot them down
for reference.

next go to services and "hide" all
microsoft services.

what remains are third party services
that can be unchecked.

afterwards boot up and see if
windows is error free.

if so, then you have eliminated the
problem.

now the trick is to figure out which
program and or service is the faulty
one.

--

> Hi DB,
>
> I noticed something.  Most of the time when I boot up my system I get an
> svchost.exe error.  today I didn't get such an error.  When I don't get
> that error the windows firewall works fine.  What can I do to fix this?
> thanks for any help.
> "db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> try going to admin tools via
>> control panel and click on
>> services.
>>

>> --
>> db���`�...�><)))�>
>> DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
>> - Systems Analyst
>> - Database Developer
>> - Accountancy
>> - Veteran of the Armed Forces
>> -  @Hotmail.com
>> -  nntp Postologist
>> ~ "share the nirvana" - dbZen
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>

>> "Gary Metzler" <gmtravel@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>> Hi Db,
>>>
>>> I went into control panel and windows firewall and I got the following
>>> error:
>>> Windows Firewall (Dialog)
>>> Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing
>>> (ICS) service. (Static Text)
>>> OK (Button)
>>> Is there something I can do to fix this?  thanks for any help.
>>> "db" <databaseben@hotmail.com> wrote in message

0
db

home & business
Can you have up to 5 employees or can have as many as 20? -- GEP Your going to have to supply a lot more explanation if you are expecting any sort of a complete answer. -- Neil "gep" <gep@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DEE2740-88A2-496E-A24A-578C6CB3C97A@microsoft.com... > Can you have up to 5 employees or can have as many as 20? > > -- > GEP Can the home & small business version support more than 5 employees? I currently have 20 employees. Can this program work for me? -- GEP "Remove ABCD from Email address to reply&quo...

Defining Appendix page setup
I have tried for some time know to set up a document (MS Word 2007)so that the "appendix page" (footer) should look like "A-1. I have set the style up and linked it but the end result is either A and no page number or a page number and no A. Also when the TOC is reset it is also the same. Thanks in advance You must use an available built-in heading for the appendix (say Heading 7). Then insert a section break before your appendix. In the Page Number Format dialog box, make sure to select "Include chapter number" and choose "Heading 7" for &...

Manage libraries with home server
I've using an HP's MediaSmart Server / HP Media Collector to collect media from our networked pcs. I've just upgraded this pc with Windows 7. I did not restore my WMP music files on this pc because I have them on the server. WPP on this pc recognizes music folder on the server & all works well. However, I also have an iTunes account which stores music on this pc. When I add a music file to iTunes, the server Media Collector sees the new file and copies it to the server. So, when I add a CD to iTunes, it's also added to the server. When I open WMP and ...

How do I set up Outlook on a home network to view emails from lapt
I have recently bought and installed Office 2007, and one of the main things that I wish to be able to do with it is to have it installed throughout my Home Network (One Main PC, two external 1Tb Hardrives on the network, and access through a laptop too). My main wish for it is to be able to have the main PC with Outlook 2007 open, at all times, to collect any emails that may come in for me, yet still be able to access those emails, read them, but not have them directly downloaded to my laptop (and not have them mix in with the other emails already appearing on the main PC). Is there a ...

Connecting to Office OWA from Home SBS 2003 network
Hello All, Firstly, apologies for cross posting...I couldnt find a specific OWA newsgroup... Office network: SBS2000, Exchange2000, ISA2000 Home network: SBS2003, Exchange2003, ISA2000 - Workstation WinXP, Office 2003 Problem: Previously I had a SBS2000 network at home and WinXP with OfficeXP workstation and was able to successfully connect to my Office OWA, so the Office setup is fine. I can still access it via a Laptop dialup, so that side is all ok (I assume!). Since building my Home SBS2003 network and rebuilding my workstation I have been unable to connect to the Office OWA. I keep g...

page setup dialog and paper choices
I need some help with the dialog Page Setup Dialog. When the dialog comes up, it brings up all the available choices for paper that the printer supports - Letter, Legal, Envelope etc.. I would like to know how I can add a custom paper to this list. This is a pre-printed sheet (the size is actually standard letter), and I want the user to be able to select it & the program to know when the user has selected it. If not, Do I need to derive a class from CPageSetupDialog , add code to add this custom paper to the combo-box list, trap messages etc.. Thanks in advance rajas, Even if the ...

Home page
Hi Is there any way to create a second home page? I'm using Money 2000 Standard on an XP machine. In WIN2k I did it but have no idea how. Thanks for any and all ideas John H ...

Office 2008 and Network Home Folders
Dear all, This is my first message here, I'm a rookie system administrator of a small office composed of Apple computers. All these computers are running Mac OS X 10.5.1. We also have a special (2GB of RAM) Mac Mini that we use as our OS X Server (10.5.1). Our server is providing basic networking services (Gateway, Firewall, NAT, DHCP, DNS, VPN) and it's also an Open Directory Master. Home folders of staff are stored in the server and get mounted on the workstation via AFP (aka Network Home Folder). Everything is working fine so far. But here starts my problem : Recently we've u...

reconnecting to a SBS network
We had a large problem (previous post "SBS 2k3 sp2 problem after power off "posted May13 I posted my solution there). I was forced to set up a peer to peer network inorder to keep us runningand take care of our clients. Now that I have the server back up again I was wondering if there was a way ro reconnect to the SBS2k3 SP2 network without using the //server/connectcomputer setup. To set up the peer to peer I went through the properties of my computer and changed from a domain to a workgroup, then set the nic cards to static ip addresses (192.168.0.xx) of my temp netwo...

Synchronizing Outlook Express on a Home Netwrok
I have setup a home network with a desktop (98) and a laptop(xp). I'd like to be able to use Outlook Express on both. Right now, I can, but the messages are not synchronized. I was able to export and synch the address book, but for some reason the mail message is proving much harder. Does anyone have any suggestions? thanks, Andrew "Andrew" <hechtic1@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:01d601c3b901$37fb0750$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I have setup a home network with a desktop (98) and a > laptop(xp). I'd like to be able to use Outlook Express on > both. Right ...

Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uptadesonly.co.cc Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an image. in that website on left side Above search box, click on image and enter your name and address where you want to receive your cheque. please don't tell to anyone. Why is this kind of crap being permitted to reside here? -- MarceepooNu "money mania" wrote: > Simple hack to get $500 to your home at http://uptadesonly.co.cc > > Due to high security risks,i have hidden the cheque link in an > image. in that websit...

Creating an Address Book for home use and Christmas Card labels
What is the best way to set up an address book/phone book for home use? I also want to use this same book to print out label for Christmas cards. What is the best way to do all of this? Row 1 you have separate column titles for Lastname, Firstname, Address, City, State or Province, ZIP or Postal Code, Phone Number. Enter your data row by row for each person on your list. Then have a look at using Word for the Labels. For help on Word mail merge using Excel or Access as the data source. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateA...

Access money data on Home Network?
I have a home network with a desktop I use for a print server and storage. Can I store data on this and access it with my laptop and the wifes laptop? We share a checking account as dangerest as that my be. Yes, but with limitations and care since Microsoft didn't design Money to work well in this environment. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=111. "Robert Downey" <Robert Downey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E82154DE-21CF-49FB-BB5A-BB7547DEB54A@microsoft.com... > I have a home network with a desktop I use for a print server and storage. > Ca...

How to navigate to a password protected network folder
Hello all, I have a folder stored on my work VPN. In Windows Explorer, after connecting to the VPN, I can navigate to the folder by typing its address in the address bar. Windows then asks me for some logon credentials and I can navigate the folder. Trying to use PowerShell to navigate to the same folder brings up an "Access Denied" message. I was wondering if there was any way to enter my user credentials so that PowerShell can navigate the location? Thanks --Amr I assume that you talk about network share. In this case you need to use NET USE command: net u...

need a finacial planner for home use.
i just need a simple planner to help budget my finaces. Browse through the Excel Templates found at the MS Template Gallery. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 16 May 2005 18:33:33 -0700, "howrangi" <howrangi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i just need a simple planner to help budget my finaces. Hi If you need a simple planner I use Financial Fire Drill - You can find it on the Web. It's very simple and it's off line. There's a 30 day trial - Hope it helps "howrangi" wrote: > i jus...

Setting up separate network on same wire with RRAS
I want to set up a phantom network, that is, a copy of our existing network computers, eg print server, file server, exchange. I want to put them all on a couple computers as Virtual machines. This is for testing purposes. I will create the machines and then backup the original servers and restore them to the Virutal Machines. The key issue for me is how can I keep them separate. Eg that the one network does not see the other network. So far I have restored a print server to the phantom network. The host is on our 10.1.0.x network. The VM is has two Virtual nics. One is the outsit...

downloading excel from Office home and Student
I bough Office Home and Student how do I download Excel "Downloading Excel" <Downloading Excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2187E3C4-1DDF-4675-B363-DD0222C9046F@microsoft.com... > I bough Office Home and Student how do I download Excel Office Home and Student HAS Excel. You need to clarify your question. ...

Outlook 2k not getting networked contacts
We have an office network with three XP machines and 2 Win 98 machines. the secretary's XP machine has outlook 2003, which has all the most recent updates of clients and business contacts (as in, when info is entered, it's only on this machine). One of our win98 machines, when booting up (this is also what we consider the "main server"), gets an error that says it can't connect to a particular shared folder over the network (this would be the folder on the afore-mentioned XP machine that houses the main Outlook information that we need to access). Of course, ...

How do I get rid of the box called "enter Network Password'?
each time I open Outlook, the Enter Network Passwork box pops up and will not go away. I do not know my password to get rid of the box. I have typed all of the passwords I can think of but no success. What do I need to Do? I can not use outlook with the box popping up every 1/2 second. Make sure you have the right passsword? -- Bill Rodgers MVP "Beckiboo" <Beckiboo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:770EB7F5-697F-45E3-BB7F-B74F3E5ACD20@microsoft.com... > each time I open Outlook, the Enter Network Passwork box pops up and will > not > go away. I...

CRM Setup couldnot find a valid organization on the specitied data
What's the matching info between the database and active directory? I try to modify them to match each other. Why? "CEO" <ceo_uk@msn.com> wrote in message news:4572A486-133A-4117-9A3E-8234FB6235B3@microsoft.com... > What's the matching info between the database and active directory? I try > to > modify them to match each other. Becasue: 1. I only backup the SQL database for CRM.(x_CRM.mdf , etc.); 2. I removed the original OU in Active Directive; 3. completely re-install CRM using a new database; 4. un-install CRM, remove database, but keep OU in AD...

Problem Setup CRM 4.0
Hi, I try to install the 90day trial of MS CRM 4.0 dutch, but i get installation error Setup: 1 SBS server 2003 (Dutch) 1 VMware server with different Windows2003 servers (Uk) --> on this server i have 1 W2003 server (dedicated) in use voor the SQL 2005 with 2 instances in it. 1 for CRM and 1 for an other application. Also on this server i use the reportingserver, a second W2003 server is used to install the CRM application After the systemcheckup the installation starts well but stops with the error : Translation because it's a dutch version : Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.Us...

Failed to install MSI part of Microsoft CRM Server setup 09-16-03
Hi, When I try to setup CRM Server I get this error.I replicate the server when I start to install but then I get tis error. I don't setup on a DC.Do I have to setup it on a DC? Thanks in advance, Derda Derda, You should have received an error code as part of the message. Can you please provide that information. Matt "Derda" <safsar@luckyeye.com> wrote in message news:eQ5P6KFfDHA.988@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... Hi, When I try to setup CRM Server I get this error.I replicate the server when I start to install but then I get tis error. I don't setup on a DC.Do I have ...

$500 A Day
$500 A Day - Your Work From Your Home Part Time! -Your job will consist mostly of sending and receiving emails. You will also be filling in short forms on the internet. For every email that is successfully processed you will earn $15 to $25 depending on the email. http://tinyurl.com/dhwqvt ...

outlook 2003 keeps asking for network password
The following comes up: Task 'my email address'Sending reported error (0x800CCC92) your email server rejected your login. verify your user name and password in your account properties. After checking all of this everything is ok, but I cannot send or receive any mail. Is the solution to change my password? How did this happen? Thank You, Phil Rybarczyk Hi, Are you able to logon to your account using the Web mail. If not, it means that your password isnot correct. Anyways, it would be better to contact your ISP and then get things cleared. Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sud...

Money 2006 Primiuim Vrs 2007 Home and Business
I've been using Money 2006 Premium for three years. I've been given a (legal) CD version of Money 2007 home and business. Money 2006 takes 60 seconds to load on my Dell Dimension 4600 with 150 GB’s of RAM. Is there any advantage replacing 2006 Pre. with 2007 H$B? If I do install 2007, is it better to remove version 2006 first? In microsoft.public.money, Sling wrote: >I've been using Money 2006 Premium for three years. I've been given a >(legal) CD version of Money 2007 home and business. Money 2006 takes 60 >seconds to load on my Dell Dimension 4600 wit...