Can't get past welcome screen

I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of programmes
that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to start
past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then logs
off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I've
tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893 but this does not help. Any other
ideas?

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:00:01 -0800, Sam Wardill
<SamWardill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of programmes
>that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to start
>past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then logs
>off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I've
>tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested in
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893 but this does not help. Any other
>ideas?

What "startup manager" ?
0
Jim
12/5/2009 9:32:52 PM
Can you boot up in Safe mode ?

--
Peter

"Sam Wardill" <SamWardill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of programmes
> that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to start
> past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then logs
> off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I've
> tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893 but this does not help. Any other
> ideas?

0
Peter
12/5/2009 9:43:07 PM
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 16:43:07 -0500, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing.

jim
0
jim
12/5/2009 9:47:37 PM
wrote:

>Can you boot up in Safe mode ?

Note where he says, "I can't get into safe mode as it does the same
thing."

jim
0
jim
12/5/2009 9:48:18 PM
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:00:01 -0800, Sam Wardill
<SamWardill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of programmes
> that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to start
> past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then logs
> off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I've
> tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested in
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893 but this does not help. Any other
> ideas?

What "startup manager" did you use? And exactly what did you do with
it?

Also note that reducing the number of programs that launch
automatically is a poor objective. Despite what many people tell you,
you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs you
run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can try
google searches and ask about specifics here.

Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent informed
decision about what you want to keep and what you want to get rid of.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
12/5/2009 9:52:47 PM

Sam Wardill wrote:
> I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of
> programmes that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to
> get XP to start past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it
> loads settings and then logs off immediately. I can't get into safe
> mode as it does the same thing. I've tried copy userinit.exe
> wsaupdater.exe as suggested in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893
> but this does not help. Any other ideas?

Go to the Startup Manager's website and perhaps there is a forum or FAQ that
may help.
Try a Registry restore or go to a Restore Point.
If you have the XP cd, there are other options.
Buffalo

0
Buffalo
12/6/2009 5:50:26 AM
On Dec 5, 3:00=A0pm, Sam Wardill <SamWard...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I recently used a startup manager utility to reduce the amount of program=
mes
> that launched automatically on startup. I am now unable to get XP to star=
> past the welcome screen. If I click on a user it loads settings and then =
logs
> off immediately. I can't get into safe mode as it does the same thing. I'=
ve
> tried copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe as suggested inhttp://support.micr=
osoft.com/kb/892893but this does not help. Any other
> ideas?

What startup manager utility did you use?

If you can't login, how did you copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe?

Wait - you said you tried copy - did you copy and how did you do that?

Do you have a genuine bootable XP installation CD to get into the
Recovery Console?
0
Jose

Reliable way to get window underneath mine?
What is a reliable way to get the window underneath mine? Say that my window is "Window A"... "Window A" is being dragged around the screen by its title bar. The mouse cursor is at x,y. I need to know if I can drop it on the window thats at x,y (not counting "Window A"). So I need to get this window handle somehow. WindowFromPoint() obviously gets "Window A". I'd rather not enumerate all the windows since that seems like a performance issue. Thanks. Somebody wrote: > What is a reliable way to get the window underneath mine? > > Say tha...

CSliderCtrl -- can't get TB_THUMBTRACK
Hello, I added a CSliderCtrl to a dialog using the Resource editor, but to my surprise there is no way in the Class Wizard to add a callback for TB_THUMBTRACK, so that I can have my app do something when the user moves the "tic". I'm prevented from adding that message to the paltry list of 3 default usable messages. Can someone explain how to get around this unexpected problem? Thanks. All of the messages that are related to a CSliderCtrl being changed come through as with a WM_HSCROLL message. void CMyDlg::OnHScroll(UINT nSBCode, UINT nPos,CScrollBar *pScrollBar) { if (...

Is it possible to get text values in a pivot table?
From this: ROW COL VAL A HD1 X B HD2 Y B HD1 Z C HD3 J A HD3 Z B HD3 R C HD1 S Get this? Var of VAL COL ROW HD1 HD2 HD3 A X Z B Z Y R C S J (If 2 rows go to same cell, would need to get maximum or first). Not with Pivot Table Let you A, B C data be A1:A7, the HDn data in B1:B7 and the other data in C1:C7 In some convenient place (I use A11) enter =A1&B1 and copy down the column (you could put this in another sheet or in a hidden column) Make the heading HD1, HD2 - I did this in F1:H1 and the row ...

Copy and Paste without copying Formulas
I have created a workbook with several sheets. The first sheet consists of a master list of 8000 numbers. The second sheet is where I paste a smaller list of numbers. The workbook performs a search and returns numbers that match on the third sheet. The third sheet also has formulas. I want to be able to copy and paste the resulting info on the third sheet to another workbook without copying any of the formulas......I just want the info. Any suggestions?? Ken Copy>Paste Special>Values>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 14:21:13 -0800, "Ken"...

Get $500 to your PAYPAL Account by just one CLICK #2

can't get "sum" to add up properly
Hi, I'd appreciate any help with my problem. I have the following A B C 1 Benefit Coverage Amount Monthly Premium 2 Employee Life .21/$1,000 $67,000.00 $14.07 3 Dependent Life (if applicable) family $2.00 4 Employee AD&D .04/$1,000$67,000.00 $2.68 5 LTD 2.58/100 $1,529.00 $39.45 6 Dental family 47.86 7 Health family 48.90 8 EAP (if applicable) yes $2.20 9 ...

Paste Link to data Help!!!
J_Knowles helped me out with this macro; it is very useful for transferring data from one workbook to another and has been very helpful for the short term; however, I still need to create a link to the data as some people who use the destination data file do not have access to both files and cannot run the macro. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?&lang=&cr=&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.excel.programming&p=1&tid=96068e06-fa13-4bc1-ade8-75c6f3091b9f Sub FindMatchesInBooks() Dim swb As Workbook, dwb As Workbook Dim sd...

Pasting high volume looses formatting?
With Excel 2002, when attempt to copy a large spreadsheet, I get the following (generic error code) when trying to paste "Data on the Clipboard is not the same size and shape as the selected area. Do you want to paste the data anyway? Of course when I answer "OK" I loose the formatting (primarily row height). I am trying to keep two worksheets within one workbook in sync...updating one then copying to the second and sorting/manipulating the second. Sheet is 25 cols by 250 rows with varying fonts, row heights, column sizes and colors This happens when I try to paste into ...

Problem with getting warning banner message working in OWA
We are using Exchange 2003 with a front-end & back-end server setup and using forms based authentication. Has anyone successfully implemented a Warning banner for OWA that users have to click the OK button before getting to the login page? I have tried out the steps provided at http://www.somorita.com/E2K324seven/Ch21-OWA-WarningBanner.doc but the warning banner still doesn't show up. Would greatly appreciate if anyone has implemented could provide any information to get this working. Thanks in advance. Mark While you are looking at the logon page in IE, use the View/Source...

Email can not get through between two domains
I am new to Exchange. Sorry for stupid questions. This is my question: An office used to have an Exchange 5.5 box to manage emails for two companies A.com and B.com. Just add a new Windows SBS 2003 for A.com. Now, the SBS 2003 server is managing emails for both A.com and B.com (did by following http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260973). That is, a connector is created in the new server to deliver mails to B.com. After that, users at B.com can not send email to A.com users. But A.com user can send email to B.com and users in both companies can send and receive email from outside. When user...

How can I get AutoShapes to "chase" in PowerPoint?
I am told that it is possible to have AutoShapes chase each other in a straight line and around curves (like through a pipe) but I can't figure out how. You need to use a motion path. There's an example here http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint_Motion_Path.html -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "John-Novatec" wrote: > I am told that it is possible to have AutoShapes chase each other in a > straight line and around curves (like th...

How do get the years and days Between two dates
if you had 5/1/2006 and 2/28/2002 how would you get 4.17? If 5/1/2006 is in A1 and 2/28/2002 is in A2, then maybe: =(a1-a2)/365 or =(a1-a2)/365.25 But if you're trying to find differences between dates, you may want to take a look at =datedif(). You can find lots of info at Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm (=datedif() was only documented in xl2k's help.) jhon doe wrote: > > if you had 5/1/2006 and 2/28/2002 how would you get 4.17? -- Dave Peterson ...

Bottom of spreadsheet hidden in full screen view
If you change Excel to Full Screen View and your taskbar is always on top (as it normally is), the bottom of the spreadsheet is hidden behind the taskbar. Does anyone know how to get around this without hiding the taskbar? I have found that if I drag the taskbar to the bottom and then back up again, the Excel window resizes itself correctly and the bottom of the spreadsheet is visible again. Problem is, I want to do this from VBA! Can anyone help please??? Bringing this post back to the top because it is getting lost in the depths of the forum. I've searched the whole Excel fo...

How to get the Network Utilization?
In the Task Manager of Windows System, we can see the Network Utilization of the local connection. But how to get the percentage through my own program? Thanks in advance! ...

Pasting in Excel should NOT clear the clipboard!
Why is it that Excel behaves differently from EVERY other piece of software on the market? I have never seen software that clears the clipboard once you've pasted an item and then continued editing the document. The whole point of copy and paste is to improve your workflow, however, in Excel this is not the case, you have to keep copying the item and then pasting it each time (unless your performing successive pastes without editting in between) Any chance Microsoft could make this behave like 'normal' software? It works that way in MacXL, so yes, MS *could* make it behave t...

Invalid argument. (Error 3001) While Pasting into an OLE Field
The following just started popping up when trying to paste a zip file into an OLE field. All previous pastes show as a package. Invalid argument. (Error 3001) You tried to perform an operation that involves a routine in a DLL, and one of the arguments to the routine is invalid. Check your entry to make sure you have specified the correct arguments, and then try the operation again. This error also occurs when you attempt to use mutually exclusive constants in an argument to a method, such as specifying both dbConsistent and dbInconsistent in the options argument to the OpenRecordset met...

How to get weekly open high low close from a range of data?
Hello, I've set up a spreadsheet to download mutual fund prices daily from a certain website and have stored up quite an amount of data already. Now I want to use this data to produce weekly candlestick charts, so I need to get the weekly open, high, low, close from the data. The easiest way I can think of in general is to use a GROUP BY query to extract all such data from the data range, but I don't know how to set up such a query in Excel. Anyone out there can tell me? Thank you very much. Herbert if you have daily dates in column a, and the open, hi, lo, close i columns b-e...

Simple Javascript to get the current CRM user
I'm looking to add an OnChange event to restrict changes to a certain picklist field in the Account table. Simple logic, except I can't seem to figure out who the current user is... This has to be a simple one for you JavaScript jocks, and I'd really appreciate your saving me hours... Many thanks, Dave ...

Paste Special Bitmap Image Option
I am preparing a word document which shows a series of steps to be performed for a particular task. This document is going to consists of a series of screen shots interspersed with text. My question is that when i try to paste the screen shots, using paste special, I get the following options 1) Bitmap Image Object 2) Picture (Windows Metafile) 3) Device Independent Bitmap. All things being equal, which of these three options should i select so that i get the least amount of document size. I don't want to bloat up the document so that it crosses 10 MB. ...

Macros get disconnected
Hi All I would be very grateful for a little guidance over an issue that is puzzling me. I have a template with a number of macros attached. When I send the template by email to my co-worker, some of the macros don't appear on the form field's "Run macro on Entry or Exit". The macros do appear, however, in the Visual Basic editor. The template works perfectly well, until it is unprotected an edited. Thereafter, those form field that have "lost" the macro name/limk from their form fields don't work anymore. So, as long as the macros in the templ...

I need to get week start and week end dates to change automatically
I'm trying to get the week start and week end dates to chang automatically on a time sheet that I am working on. Anybody have formula? Joh -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com John, =INT(NOW()+2-WEEKDAY(NOW())) will return Monday's date, and =INT(NOW()+6-WEEKDAY(NOW())) will return Friday's date. Format as dates. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "jlyons360 >" <<jlyons360.192pxt@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:jlyons360.192pxt@excelforum-nospam.com... > I'm trying to get the week start and week end dates to change > automa...

Key(s) to Cut & Paste??
Is there a way to assign a "word" to selected key(s) to paste when desired?? I wish to paste my email address whenever asked for as a login ID.... On 02/23/10 10:33 AM, Willard wrote: > Is there a way to assign a "word" to selected key(s) to paste when > desired?? > I wish to paste my email address whenever asked for as a login ID.... Google "free windows macro program" I use Autohotkey, but it's interface might be a little too complicated for your simple action. Look for AHK's autoscriptwriter to make the job easier. On Tue, 23...

in Excel how do I copy & paste a grouping as one?
Please use this white space for your question and tell us what you mean by "grouping" best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "DWP" <DWP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BFCFD66-13E9-44A4-8B2C-3AC4F000E055@microsoft.com... > ...

Screen coordinates of ActiveWindow
Hello, I'm using a CaptureScreen activeX that can capture a part of the screen according to its coordinates I'm interested in capturing the visible part of the Excel sheet, so I guess that I need its coordinates (x,y, width, height) relative to the screen I found a solution, http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=452, but it works for Mac only Any idea? Thanks Avi ...

Touch screen tender scren problem
With a touch screen monitor and the Touch Screen function keys enabled at the bottom of the screen, the Tender options appear as green buttons. Some of them, when selected will change the Tender selection in the actual Tender screen. Some of them do not work. How do we make sure that all of them work? This happens when Tender types are deleted and new ones added. There may be other changes that can cause this, but that's the one I know of. There is a knowledgebase article that details the fix for this if you are on the support plan. Glenn Adams Tiber Creek Consulting http://www.tib...