C: drive copy / backup to D:

I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.

I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.

Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.
0
spasmous2

unfortunately, you can not simply make
a direct copy of c to d because of the
system files.

also, I agree that a single backup file
is not advantageous.

instead, make cd size images and
store them on the d drive.

you can also copy them to cd's if
you choose to.

-------------------

you can use a freeware called
drive image xml to image your
c drive.

you should also make a bootable
disk called barts pe and integrate
the drive image xml pluggin.

that way if the system goes down
you can boot with barts pe then
run drive image and restore your
images from the d to the c drive.

afterwards, you may or may not
need to but sometimes after restoring
the entire disk from an image,

you need to follow up with a
repair installation via the xp
cd.

-------------

another thing you can do to
protect your user data from being
lost if the c drive becomes corrupted

is to move "my documents" from the
c to the d.

just right click on my documents,
select its properties and look for
the field to enter d:\

and windows will move the folder
and everything in it.

----------------
after you do the above, if you choose
my methodology,

test your barts pe and ensure that
your system can boot with it.

its better to know now if the cd
or dvd was made properly.

--
db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"spasmous2" <spasmous@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

0
db
1/7/2010 8:18:27 PM
Having your backup drive permanently installed in your computer is a bad
idea, what do you think will happen to the backup if a power surge takes out
the primary drive?

Acronis True Image is a decent imaging program, a trial is available on the
Acronis website.

"spasmous2" <spasmous@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

0
David
1/7/2010 9:25:26 PM
"spasmous2" <spasmous@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

spasmous2...
What you're probably looking for is a disk-to-disk cloning program. Using
that type of program a byte-for-byte (for all practical purposes) copy of
your day-to-day working HDD (what you've labeled your C: drive) can be
created on another HDD (what you've labeled your D: drive). So that you'll
have a precise copy of all the data on your "source" HDD, the OS, all your
programs & applications, configurations, and of course your personal data.
It's hard to conceive of a better backup system for the majority of PC
users.

There are, of course, a number of disk-cloning programs available - free,
shareware, & commercial. Many of the commercial programs have trial versions
available and you should avail yourself of the opportunity of giving each a
"test run" to see if a particular program meets your needs.

The program we strongly recommend is the Casper 6 disk-cloning program. It's
extremely simple to use even for an inexperienced user, extraordinarily
quick in its backup operations when the program is used routinely &
frequently (as it should be!), and all-in-all very effective. And the
program has an automatic scheduling capability as well.

If you're interested in more details about the program so indicate and I'll
provide them. There's a 30-day trial version available at...
http://www.fssdev.com/products/free/
The trial version is slightly crippled but it should give you a good idea of
how the program works.
Anna

0
Anna
1/7/2010 10:52:55 PM
On Jan 7, 2:52=A0pm, "Anna" <myn...@myisp.net> wrote:
> "spasmous2" <spasm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
> > backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> > drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> > I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> > want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> > convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> > on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> > error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> > deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> > Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> > and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.
>
> spasmous2...
> What you're probably looking for is a disk-to-disk cloning program. Using
> that type of program a byte-for-byte (for all practical purposes) copy of
> your day-to-day working HDD (what you've labeled your C: drive) can be
> created on another HDD (what you've labeled your D: drive). So that you'l=
> have a precise copy of all the data on your "source" HDD, the OS, all you=
> programs & applications, configurations, and of course your personal data=
..
> It's hard to conceive of a better backup system for the majority of PC
> users.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Point taken about this being a
limited form of backup, but it is (should be) easy and better than no
backup :)

I located a program called ShadowCopy (http://www.runtime.org/shadow-
copy.htm) that does more or less what I wanted. I have set it to run
on a weekly schedule using the Windows scheduler. In case anyone
wishes to follow in my tracks, the scheduled command:

Run: "C:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy\shadowcopy.exe" C:
\*.* D:\ /s /y /r /i

Start in: "C:\Program Files\Runtime Software\ShadowCopy"
0
spasmous2
1/7/2010 11:39:51 PM
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 12:02:48 -0800 (PST), spasmous2
<spasmous@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
>backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
>drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
>I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
>want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
>convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
>on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
>error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
>deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
>Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
>and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

Partition Magic can make such a copy.  My old version doesn't have
automatic scheduling but that is probably an easy nut to crack.

--
Remove del for email
0
On Jan 7, 12:02=A0pm, spasmous2 <spasm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed a second hard drive (D:) which I intend to be a
> backup for the C: drive. All I would like to do is copy the entire C:
> drive to the D: drive on a weekly schedule.
>
> I've looked into the Backup utility in XP and it's close to what I
> want, but it makes a bkf file rather than a copy. This is not as
> convenient for me (I'd like to be able to manually examine the files
> on D:) also I read the bkf file is corrupted even with a single bit
> error. I've looked at some other freeware programs but its the same
> deal, although the compressed format differs from product to product.
>
> Can anyone point me to a program that makes a simple copy of the drive
> and runs on a regular schedule? Many thanks.

Heh. Well how about that - it turns out Windows has the perfect
utility already: xcopy.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/240268

It even has the option (/D) to copy only newer files. I've made a .bat
file with this in it and run it on the built in Windows scheduler.

xcopy c: e: /D /F /Y /E /H /C /K /R /X
0
spasmous2

mailbox backup #3
Helllo- I could really use someoens help. I have taken over some of the IT role where I work. We have an employee, who is still with us, but might be leaving soon. His mailbox is active and i would lieke to back up his messages on toa cd/dvd so that nothing gets deleted. I know I can archive like a pst, but basically want ot make acopy of all his mail and burn it on to a dvd. Can I do that. Thank you. On 1 Sep 2006 07:21:50 -0700, Peter.Angione@gmail.com wrote: >Helllo- > >I could really use someoens help. I have taken over some of the IT role >where I work. We have an employe...

Money 2000 backup restores
Purchased a new HP Pavilion with Windows Vista today. Can not get my Money 200 backup to restore. Keeps asking for a password. I never set a password or if I did, it was years ago. The backups are on the old hard drive and I am trying to transfer. Now what? In microsoft.public.money, Brenda wrote: >Purchased a new HP Pavilion with Windows Vista today. Can not get my Money >200 backup to restore. Keeps asking for a password. I never set a password or >if I did, it was years ago. The backups are on the old hard drive and I am >trying to transfer. Now what? Typically that wou...

Generic Volume Shadow Copy Driver Problem
In the last couple of days whenever a SBS backup is started using Shadow backup or a shadow backup is scheduled it fails as it is unable to load the driver. The found new hardware wizard runs and it states that the driver is unsigned and you should not install it. Of course as I am not present to click "Continue" the operation times out and fails. Hello, Thanks for your post. Could you please provide with more information such as the exact error message or VSS related Event log when the NTbackup fails? Meanwhile, according to my experience, you may try to rename t...

Copy paste error
paste option is disable when ever I paste excel document to a newly opened word file. How can i solve this issue Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Compressed Ink for Tablet PC and Windows XP http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/19098f32-1011-4131-9e55-48e1700cf5a9/compressed-ink-for-tablet.aspx ganeson r, Have you tried first inserting a table in your word document then pasting the excel file into the table? hth "ganeson r" wrote: > paste option is disable when ever I paste excel document to a newly opened word file. How can ...

Backup Contacts in Outlook 2002
how do you backup the contacts folder in the address book on Outlook client 2002. .pst and .pab isn't helpful. Can anyone can help me out Why is PST not helpful? That's what you need to back up. Just do it. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Brandon.ralph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:012b01c3d242$df7eced0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > how do you backup the contacts folder in the address book > on Outlook client 2002. .pst and .pab isn't helpful. > Can anyone can help me out ...

Possible to copy sheets into another (closed!) workbook?
Hi there Would anyone know how I can copy some worksheets into another workbook which is closed. The files are so big that I can't open them both at the same time. Thank you very much! Manuel Do it in batches. Open bigfile1 and copy the sheets to a new workbook. Close bigfile1 and open bigfile2. Copy the sheets from newbook to bigfile2. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On 17 Feb 2005 16:25:39 -0800, "Grotifant" <mschlabbers@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi there > >Would anyone know how I can copy some worksheets into another workbook >which is closed. The files are so b...

numero d'erreur: 0x800ccc0f
comment corriger cette erreur? ...

No detected DVD drive HELP PLZ
Ok i have a Dell Studio 1735 laptop media setup with Windows VIsta 32bit Home premium. I got board of the XP modded (Pirate Edition- seriauly its called that) install so i formatted today an installed but got the dreaded "no driver detected" (the one where its wants Sata drives from floppy)(i managed to work my way around this by installing the VISTA OS on anoter laptop an changing the hard drive back. I have no problems apart from the DVD drive it seems it does not wanna be seen in My Computer OR device manager (checked for yellow devices an rescaned for new hard ware ...

intermittent issues with lowercase 't' 'h' 'c' in outlook.
The above letters will periodically cease to function in outlook but they continue to work in notepad. Lower case only is affected the uppercase works fine. ...

outlook run 2 copies
can I install and run to copies of outlook for 2 diffrent users and could they have both of them open at the same time Nope, you can only have one profile opened at a time. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:869a01c3e90d$ab38aa10$a601280a@phx.gbl... > can I install and run to copies of o...

how do i copy an entire workbook and paste it in another
The way to ask your question would have been in the subject line Copy Workbook In the body of the message, ask your question. Perhaps an answer is File>saveas>>>>> -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "BELINDA" <BELINDA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF918BEB-A237-4F63-BE3D-C6605E40256D@microsoft.com... > ...

Copy Data From Chart to Chart #4
I have to create separate charts for ten employees. I want to have all the data on one sheet tab. Create the chart on another tab for employee 1, format the chart the way I want and be able to add the data for employee 2, 3, 4, etc. to each tab, using the same format for chart 1 so they all match. So there should be one tab for raw data and 10 tabs for each employee. I’m using Excel 2000 Thank you Please stop reposting and read the responses you've already received. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://Peltie...

Unable to copy images in emails
I can no longer copy animated images embedded in forwarded emails. When I right click "save picture as" I receive an error message that says "file type not specified for system." What to do? ...

Saving New Documents on a network Drive.
Hiya. Whenever i make a new excel document and have to save it on our office network drive it says, "Cannot save Blank. This folder is read only." Only, the folderis NOT read only. All other software has no issues saving here but excel. any ideas? I'm sick of saving on the local drive and copying it over to the network drive. Thanks. Umm. . . any ideas? "MaxZ" <bmw@florida-counsel.com> wrote in message news:%23WKiYeI5FHA.2816@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hiya. Whenever i make a new excel document and have to save it on our > office network drive it...

One Click Backup
I own multiple computers (6 PC's; yeah I know that's too much). There should be an easier way to transfer my settings from one computer to the other. I carry around my USB everywhere with all my files so it would be great to load my settings from the USB, or have it linked to my hotmail and just load the settings there. For me to change something in Outlook, I currently have to change it 6X for everything. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "...

What is the quickest way to copy a table to an array?
Hi everyone, I have a table to process. It can vary in size between 2-4 columns and 2-100 rows. The table is a simple thing, containing just plain text. What is the quickest/nicest way to copy the content of the table to a 2D array? Stephenc stephenc wrote: > Hi everyone, > > I have a table to process. It can vary in size between 2-4 columns > and 2-100 rows. The table is a simple thing, containing just plain > text. > > What is the quickest/nicest way to copy the content of the table to a > 2D array? > > Stephenc I would do this in th...

How to copy files from 1 server to another
I am using a utility (Macro Scheduler) to copy a folder (with sub-folders) from 1 server to another overnight as a backup. (WS2008 to WS2003 - utility runs on WS2003 machine) However if a file is locked the whole copy is terminated. Are there utilities on the servers and/or comercial products that will do this even when a file is locked for use. -- Regards Tom "ThomasAJ" <ThomasAJ@discussions.microsoft.com> said this in news item news:7A680B16-555C-4F1B-8BD4-F5EDA979F12F@microsoft.com... > I am using a utility (Macro Scheduler) to copy a folder (wit...

New copy
Just purchased Money Premium 2005 via download from the web.. We need to reinstall it. Where is the location from which we can redownload the file without charge? In microsoft.public.money, Magnus wrote: >Just purchased Money Premium 2005 via download from the >web.. > >We need to reinstall it. >Where is the location from which we can redownload the >file without charge? Try http://shop.microsoft.com/moneyupgrade/purchasequestion.asp EXACTLY the reason for everybody reading not to make this mistake. Go to the store and buy a CD like the rest of us. Imagine trying...

I Still don't know how to save a copy of my emails in the server
I still cannot solve this problem, please tell me the exact steps of how to enable or leaving a copy of my E-mails on the server. Also, please make sure that we talking about Microsoft Outlook 2007. Thank you. "Brian Tillman" wrote: > alei307 <alei307@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > > > When I open Outlook 2007, it synchronizes all of my E-mails from my > > yahoo server to Outlook 2007. I want to keep a copy of my E-mails on > > my Yahoo Server, how do I do that in Outlook 2007? > > In your account properties, enable the option to le...

Hided values appears when I'm copying/pasting it to other worksheet
So, in one worksheet I have some data and there is some colums hided. When I selecting all that data and pasting to other worksheet, al these hided colums or rows values appears and I have to hide it again. Is there possibility to copy/paste in such way, that these hided value don't appear again? Thanks in advance Best Regards, Aivara -- Aivaras_Bakana ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Aivaras_Bakanas's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2518 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threa...

SSL in a C++ web services client
I'm trying to add SSL support to my web service client. It's written in VC++ 7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 2003), but it's NOT managed code. I've created the web service, and configured my server with a certificate, and tested it with IE, and it works fine. When I add a reference to the web service into my C++ client application, it will work unsecured, but not secured (using SSL). Apparently, the ATL classes don't have support for SSL sockets. Is this true? If so, what's the best way to achieve secure access to my web service from a C++ application? Thank you! ...

Formatting lost when copied by formula!
Hi, I'm having a problem retaining format in a target cell where a formul "copies" the contents from another cell. Here's an example tha describes the problem in detail: Say I have the following text in cell A1: "Some text." Say, also, tha the word "text" is bolded. In cell B2 I have a formula, =A1, tha "copies" the content of cell A1. I can see the content of cell A1 i B2, but without the bold (or any other formatting, including backgroun color, etc.). My question, of course, is how do I retain the original formatting? Thank you -- Message ...

Copying Info Into Numerous Cells
I have just completed creating and entering data into thousands of worksheets. Now someone has decided they want to change and add columns to my worksheets. Is there any way to have data copied from 1 cell to another in several worksheets at a time, even if the data is different? If there isn't...I'm going to have a melt-down right here at work! :eek: -- calimari ------------------------------------------------------------------------ calimari's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24537 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

exchange server 2003 backup options
Hello all, My company and I are trying to come up with a solution for having a backup system for our primary exchange server should it go down. We have a second windows 2003 standard server online. I am afraid of major complications if we just load exchange 2003 server on this other server. I am sure there must be another way to do this. Would appreciate any help on this. Thnaks, Gwen "Gwen" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:1913501c44c92 $890ddda0$a401280a@phx.gbl: > My company and I are trying to come up with a solution > for having a bac...

Copy and Paste into different application
I am trying to copy data from an Excel spreadsheet into an accountin application. The problem is that after the last cell of the row is pasted, I need return to be entered. The program will accept the enter key, o pressing the ctrl-E keys. Is there anyway of "embedding" this into the last cell in a row??? Thanks so much for your help. Lee-An -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...