USB KVM's always plays 'Device Connect' sound

It appears that USB KVM's with Audio support always make Windows XP
computers play the 'Device Connect' sound when you switch between
computers.

Does anyone know of a USB KVM with Audio that can properly emulate the
USB connection to the inactive computer, so that the 'device connect'
event doesn't occur when switching between computers?
0
prubin
11/17/2009 11:08:02 PM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

<prubin@equilter.com> wrote in message
> It appears that USB KVM's with Audio support always make Windows XP
> computers play the 'Device Connect' sound when you switch between
> computers.
>
> Does anyone know of a USB KVM with Audio that can properly emulate the
> USB connection to the inactive computer, so that the 'device connect'
> event doesn't occur when switching between computers?

This would presumably be because the audio is being disconnected from one PC
and connected to the other.  The sound would be correct, though I would
expect the disconnect sound from one PC and the connect sound from the
other.

Actually it's not the audio, because you can direct connect the audio
to one computer, and the 'Device Connect' still sounds when switching
computers. It's clearly the USB Mouse/Keyboard that is causing the
'Device Connect' sound. It appears that USB KVM's do NOT emulate the
signal to the disconnected computer.

On Nov 18, 3:08=A0am, "M.I.5=BE" <no....@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote:
> <pru...@equilter.com> wrote in message

> > It appears thatUSBKVM'swith Audio support always make Windows XP
> > computers play the 'Device Connect' sound when you switch between
> > computers.
>
> > Does anyone know of aUSBKVMwith Audio that can properly emulate the
> >USBconnection to the inactive computer, so that the 'device connect'
> > event doesn't occur when switching between computers?
>
> This would presumably be because the audio is being disconnected from one=
 PC
> and connected to the other. =A0The sound would be correct, though I would
> expect the disconnect sound from one PC and the connect sound from the
> other.

0
prubin
11/18/2009 2:50:26 PM
Actually it's not the audio, because you can direct connect the audio
to one computer, and the 'Device Connect' still sounds when switching
computers. It's clearly the USB Mouse/Keyboard that is causing the
'Device Connect' sound. It appears that USB KVM's do NOT emulate the
signal to the disconnected computer.

------------

I use a KVM here (Belkin) and I do not get any connect/disconnect sound.

On Nov 18, 3:08 am, "M.I.5�" <no....@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk> wrote:
> <pru...@equilter.com> wrote in message

> > It appears thatUSBKVM'swith Audio support always make Windows XP
> > computers play the 'Device Connect' sound when you switch between
> > computers.
>
> > Does anyone know of aUSBKVMwith Audio that can properly emulate the
> >USBconnection to the inactive computer, so that the 'device connect'
> > event doesn't occur when switching between computers?
>
> This would presumably be because the audio is being disconnected from one
> PC
> and connected to the other. The sound would be correct, though I would
> expect the disconnect sound from one PC and the connect sound from the
> other.

LDAP address book always empty
Hi Does anyone know how to show the contents of the LDAP address book. When I create a new email and go to the address book its always empty. To show the contacts I have to click find and then the name of the contact, then that contact appears by its self. But you have to know the contact name. The address book is not empty it just dosent show any of the contacts in there. I am using outlook 2002 This is really annoying. Any suggestions are most appreciated. NickC ...

email and a dial-up connection problems
I use outlook 2000 and my primary internet connection is DSL. I check my pop email account without issue and send email with out issue. When I travel I use a dialup ISP but my mail will not send and does not always pull from the server. Any ideas? Andy andrew@tklcorp.com ...

Document Connection crashes when adding a sharepoint site

CD won't play 12-14-09
I'm trying to play an audio CD on my work computer. This is the first time I've done it. I'm getting visuals (the weird fractal things on the Windows Media Player screen) but no audio. I have been able to get audio from playing videos on the internet before. I tried downloading the AC3 codec, no success. Any help is appreciated. On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 10:21:01 -0800, Ginny <Ginny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm trying to play an audio CD on my work computer. This is the first time >I've done it. I'm getting visuals (the weird frac...

Remote Connection
I have some sales people that work strictly on the road. Since we have hired them, they have not been able to get into CRM. They VPN into our network here and attempt connection by typing in the address in the web browser. This works for everyone else including myself at my home office. It even works for one of our sales people. Does anyone have any ideas. Please advise. Maybe the VPN setting is wrong in client PC. Maybe the browser blocked pop-up window. You should provide more details. "Dave" wrote: > I have some sales people that work strictly on the road. &...

Drawing on Device Independent Bitmaps
I'm writing a server application that should produce graphics comprised basically by lines and text strings. I found code that can read and write ..BMP files without relying of MFC windows. What I would like to know is if there are any functions that draw graphics directly on the Device Independent Bitmap. These functions may not be available in the MFC libraries, but perhaps someone has written something like that before. Thanks for your help, Miguel What benifits are you looking for by doing this vs. using the GDI functions? AliR. "MCorazao" <MCorazao@discussions.m...

Connect.UpdateToolbars?
I use a JE template that is linked w/ my SAP software. I recently upgraded to Office 07 and to my surprise, the template doesn't work. My IT dept claims its not the macros, they believe it might be my system. They said no one else has experience this issue; I refuse to believe them. Most of the people I know that use this template haven't upgraded to 07 yet. Anyone know what's wrong??? The error is as follows: "Connect.UpdateToolbars exception, ex = Object reference not set to an instance of an object., line = 6" Alexdfw;726316 Wrote: > I us...

Why does Outlook keep connecting to my archive PST file?
I'm trying to offload some messages in my Outlook Personal Folder. I exported a folder as an ARCHIVE .pst file. In outlook, it said the folder was 300mb. It seemed to run quite a while but finally the PST file stopped incremeting in size at around 700mb. I let it sit for a while and after it didn't increment anymore, I quite Outlook and the archive.pst.tmp file dissappeared. Now every time I launch Outlook, it creates a new '~archive.pst.tmp' file in the same directory as my archive.pst file. Why does it do that? Should I be concerned? Can I now move this archive.pst f...

My workstation fails to connect to mailbox on Port25
I am trying to understand how the workstation where I have Out 2002 installed can communicate can send/receive e-mail from mailbox server if: I do telnet <mailbox> 25 and it appears: "Connection failed" If connection fails to Exchange server, how does Outlook work ? On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 15:54:57 -0800, "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote: >I am trying to understand how the workstation where I have Out 2002 >installed can communicate can send/receive e-mail from mailbox server if: > >I do telnet <mailbox> 25 and it appears: >...

Outlook 2007 can not connect to misrosoft exchange server
I installed Office Pro. 2007 on my windows7 PC for the first time. All the program eg. word, exel, P.P. work fine but the Outlook. When I open Outlook, there are 2 small windows: one on the top left corner says Configuring Outlook Accounts. The other one says Connecting To Microsoft Exchange and the message: Microsoft Exchange is unavailable with 3 buttons: Retry, Work Offline, Cancel. No matter which button I chose, it will close the outlook don't let me to do the configuration. Please help, this is my first time trying to use Outlook. Thanks -- jnreturn http://for...

2008 Backup USB drive rotation. Safely remove Hardware?
A new replacement SBS 2008 installation. Two USB portable drives as backup. Plan is to rotate weekly. One on-site, one off-site. Changeover on a Friday by a non technical office worker. Previously a daily tape change (SBS2003) was possible, and simple with no "console" involvement. Are there "safely remove hardware" issues when the drive is swapped? Just change it regardless? Or is there a way / need to automate "disconnection" on a Fri am before the changeover is accomplished? TIA Andy On Nov 22, 6:16=A0am, "Andyba" <an...

Automatic Send/Receive does not always work
For some reason my automatic Send/Receive fails to function consistently throughout the day. I will notice that no new mail has been received for a considerable amount of time, lets say 2 hours. But when I press Send/Receive and dozens of messages are pulled. I usually have Send/Receive configured to automatically process every 5 minutes to ensure mail is pulled regularly and without delay. I've tried configuring it for every 1 minute and the error still occurs. I currently have it set to every 10 minutes thinking that overlapping timing may be causing the issue (first send/rec isn't c...

Best USB modem for voice quality?
I want to click a number and have Outlook or some Outlook add-on dial it using the regular phone network, then talk using my computer mic and speakers just like I do on Skype. I don't the phone anywhere on the desk. Also I want to use the same hardware that I already use for Skype or any other IM chat program. Info on this seems to be very hard to find. What most people could use is one program that: Dials a phone number Faxes Emails SMS Instant Messages (MSN, Yahoo & Skype compatibility would cover 98% of the users.) Is there really no demand for such a ce...

Can write onto a DVD but not read from DVD: "The device is not ready"
After having worked successfully for a couple of years with my current DVD drive (recorder) there are now problems since a few days. I can write (=burn) as usually onto a DVD. But when I want to read the content of such a DVD nothing is listed. The drive letter is shown as usual in WinExplorer. When I click on it the DVD seems to be empty. Nothing is shown. dir E: in Command prompt shows permanently "The device is not ready" even after 30 minutes! When I insert the same DVD in another computer (with WinXP) then the 4 files are shown without problems. So whats...

USB eject / unplug
Is there a command which can be keyed into a bat file which will prompt the UNPLUG OR EJECT HARDWARE Windows procedure. ie, removal of a USB Memory stick after a backup or file copy has been completed ...

Adding an embedded sound?
My requirement is to embed (not link) a sound file in a *PowerPoint* PPT file. I duly enquired in microsoft.public.powerpoint, but I'm confused by the replies that I *cannot* embed an MP3 or WMA, because I appear to have done so successfully! On the assumption that the object-embedding facility in Excel 2000 is similar to that in PowerPoint 2000, I just repeated the exercise in Excel to double-check. That too was successful. The test XLS file I used grew from 14 KB to 1667 KB after embedding a 1276 KB MP3 file. And then I deleted the music file, yet the XLS still played it. Similar behav...

Set Connection String
The following code allows me to get the connection string from app.config, data_varable get_provider = new data_varable(); string m_connstr= ""; OleDbConnection cdata = new OleDbConnection(get_provider.GetConnectionString(m_connstr)); conn.Open(); string m_connect = cdata.DataSource; How do I set the connection string in app.config through my code? On 25-01-2010 20:24, Dave wrote: > The following code allows me to get the connection string from app.config, > > data_varable get_provider = new data_varable(); > string m_connstr= ""; > OleDb...

How do I connect to a sql server over an IP address?
Hi -- I am not too technical so just need a plain laymen's answer - or point me in a direction. I use ADO connections within Excel VBA to connect to local sql servers in order to access information; however, it seems that it is difficult to access remote servers through ado connections that are accessible through a web browser (vpn connections excluded). I am assuming this is because the web browser is a more secure interface with the sql server being accessed (ie, this security was set-up purposely by the db or web developer). I have noticed that Crystal Reports can ...

help w/ connecting to internet
I recently received a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Since I only have a dial-up connection and I want to use this in a room where there is no telephone jack, I needed a long phone cord to connect the laptop to the phone jack. I attached the 50' cord to the laptop last week and all went fine connecting to the Internet. However, I cannot seem to make the connection again. I enter the password and it dials (pulse!), and the box says "connected to remote computer", then "verifying name and password", then finally "unable to establish a connection". I th...

Connect multiple columns in 1 row to another?
I have a worksheet with multiple columns of info in one row. I want to know if I can link all those columns into another worksheet in 1 row 1 column? EG:A72 - Quantity, B72 - Description, C72 - Cost (Sheet 1) A72 - 1550 ft, B72 - Place & Finish, C72 - $2000.00 Can I move those columns into Sheet 2 - A18 which is my invoice? Put this formula in Sheet2 cell A18 and copy ober to B18 and C18 =Sheet1!A72 Whatever value is in Sheet1A72 will automatically show up in Sheet2A18, etc etc Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "tb" <tb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Change Windows 7 Startup Sound?
Has anyone found a foolproof way to change the Windows 7 startup sound (imageres.dll)? I've tried a few methods and none of them let me complete the processs, even in Safe Mode. "Tom Pamin" <scnrfrq@roadrunner.com> wrote in message news:uv5$394bKHA.5608@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Has anyone found a foolproof way to change the Windows 7 startup sound > (imageres.dll)? I've tried a few methods and none of them let me complete > the processs, even in Safe Mode. Why would they? This is an XP group not Windows 7. Windows 7 Forums: http://socia...

Personal.xlsb always locked
I am using Excel 2007 and have been experimenting with macros and VBA, including the Personal.xlsb file. Now, every time I open Excel: 1. it tells me the Personal.xlsb file is locked and do I want to read only, be notified when its closed, or cancel 2. I can't open Excel files from Outlook and some my previously functional addin applications now don't work. Now do I reset the personal.xlsb file to its original state? Is this the way to fix the problem? If not, what is? That is usually caused by having one instance of Excel running............with Personal.xlsb open a...

Outlook2003 problem connecting to SBS
I have made a smal testlab, with a SBS2003 and a Windows XP SP2 (Danish) My problem Is that I cant get Outlook 2003 (tried both UK an Danish versions, and with and without SP1) to connect to the exchange. I can access the exchange account via OWA. I have pathced the exchange server with SP1. If i create a new Mail profile in Outlook, and selec Exchange. I can enter the servername, an username, but if I click OK or Check name, it chrashes. If I look in the data that is going to be sent to Microsoft it says: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: msmap...

How to detect if keyboard is connected?
hi! i need to detect if a keyboard is connected to show or hide a virtual keyboard on a touch screen. is there a way to retrieve this information? thanks philipp ...

IMF V2 not respecting connection filter settings
I've seen some mention of this problem by others, but have not seen if anyone has resolved this. I recently installed Exchange 2003 SP2 with IMF V2. We had previously listed some internal IP ranges under Connection Filtering's accept list so that IMF would not scan messages generated by our web servers. This worked fine with the previous version of IMF (which I did uninstall before installing SP2), but does not seem to be working now. Messages from this list of IPs are not bypassing the filter. Anyone find a solution to this? On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:47:13 -0600, "Shaw...