sound no longer works after windows update

Brand new box.  Dell Precision T3500.

I came into work this morning, and apparently Windows Update had run
overnight.

Now, I have no sound capability whatsoever.

I go to Sounds applet and  on Volume tab it says "No Audio Device".  On all
tabs, every option is disabled/greyed-out : Device Volume, Speaker Settings,
Sound Playback, Sound Recording, MIDI music playback, Voice playback, Voice
recording.

0
John
12/10/2009 10:31:54 PM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

John Grandy wrote:
> Brand new box.  Dell Precision T3500.
>
> I came into work this morning, and apparently Windows Update had run
> overnight.
>
> Now, I have no sound capability whatsoever.
>
> I go to Sounds applet and  on Volume tab it says "No Audio Device".
> On all tabs, every option is disabled/greyed-out : Device Volume,
> Speaker Settings, Sound Playback, Sound Recording, MIDI music
> playback, Voice playback, Voice recording.

Download and install the latest hardware device driver for your computer
from Dell.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=PREC_T3500&os=WV64&osl=en&catid=&impid=

Pick your OS and get the driver appropriate for your system.  Download,
save, run, install, reboot.

Likely this:
ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/audio/DRVR_WIN_R216292.EXE

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/10/2009 11:50:11 PM
And after that amend Winupdate settings to install critical updates only,
NOT driver updates

"John Grandy" <john.arthur.grandy-at-gmail.com> wrote in message
> Brand new box.  Dell Precision T3500.
>
> I came into work this morning, and apparently Windows Update had run
> overnight.
>
> Now, I have no sound capability whatsoever.
>
> I go to Sounds applet and  on Volume tab it says "No Audio Device".  On
> all tabs, every option is disabled/greyed-out : Device Volume, Speaker
> Settings, Sound Playback, Sound Recording, MIDI music playback, Voice
> playback, Voice recording.

0
DL

countif links to another workbook not working
The links update fine if the other workbook is open, and all the other links update just fine even though the other workbook isn't open So the only links that don't work with the other workbook closed is the countif formula Any ideas? Sorry don't know why but I experience exactely the same problem wit Sumifs in link -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Maybe you could rewrite your formula using =sumproduct() (which will work with closed workbooks): =SUMPRODUCT(--('C:\My Documents\excel\[book1.xls]Sheet1'!$A$1:$A$30=D8), 'C:\My Documents\e...

CRM 3.0 Reports Link Not working
I installed CRM on one server and the Database on another. Everything seems to work fine except for the Reports Link listed in the workplace. This is the error I get: ERROR An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator. I wish it was that simple, but I am the administrator. In the event log on the CRM Server I see nothing. On the SQL box the only strange thing I see is a 18456 Event for the user NT Authority\Anonymous Logon coming from the CRM servers IP. HELP!!!! A well known issue. Here is a hint from one of the older postings here: Have you loo...

SGW WORKS
SGW 2- Start Getting Wealthy On $2.00 or less Hello, Welcome to the SGW {Start Getting Wealthy} program. Before you go any further this is not a get rich quick scheme and should not be used as a primary source of income. The SGW program in simplest terms is an online lottery game and is completely dependent on chance and how many individuals will contribute. SGW originated between a few college friends researching ways to make a little extra cash entirely based on chance and contributors on the Internet. They succeeded and would like to give you the chance to also succeed. Starting with on...

How do I update a total on a subform after entry?
I have created a form for data entry as users will be doing a quality inspection and the form that has been created uses combo boxes for them to record if the items are correct or not. (Yes, No, NA). I used tabs to make it easier to view on the form as there were a ton of fields to complete. I had to use two tables to store the data, thus had to insert subforms to add all of the required fields to the tabs. My final tab of the form includes a summary of all of the items that are correct, and not correct by tab. (I have the yes and No responses translate into numbers). This summary t...

Block SMTP inbound/outbound on the border router. Any reason to let SMTP work internally ?
I found out that SMTP is open in my workstation subnets in my organization. In addtion to block the SMTP inbound/outbound traffic on the border router, I would like to confirm if there is any reason to let SMTP open internally. (we have Exch2000SP3, Outlook2002/2003 and that doesn't rely on SMTP). Not unless you have some application that uses SMTP to send mail. One example might be a monitoring package that sends alerts. In cases like that, I'd make sure that you have port 25 restricted to only a specific set of computers. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "Marlon Brown&qu...

Window above application?
Problem: I need a dialog (with some text on it) that will always show above my MDI application. When the user changes from my active app with other one (ALT+TAB, e.g) and then returns back to my app that dialog should be there as well. I've tried almost everything and nothing works (actually it works perfectly with SetWindowPos(HWND_TOPMOST...) but this doesn't help when I change the focus from my app to some other one, my topmost dialog is then gone for good). Could you show me some code snippet or point me out to some sources where can I learn how to do this? Thank you! ...

player don't work after update windows service pack!
Is here anybody who speak german??? On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 11:28:01 -0800, Suse <Suse@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is here anybody who speak german??? This is not a language discussion forum, so I assume you are after windows media information in German instead of English ? See this newsgroup for windows media player issues in German : http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.de.windows.mediaplayer (or http://tinyurl.com/yk63kgj) Or, the German "microsoft answers" site for music and sound : http://social.ans...

xmerge for exchange 2003 not working
Hello all, Salam to some of you I can only copy individual mailboxes using xmerge but not all mai boxes on the server? I get an erro Any help or suggestions? Many thank I guess our answer would depend on the errror. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "dali" <dali_osmane@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:QtednRQ24-Ykd6TeRVn_vA@giganews.com... > Hello all, Salam to some of you, > > > I can only copy individual mailboxes using xmerge but not all mail > boxes on the server? I get an er...

bookmarks not working -- some do, some don't
I'm a pretty experienced FrontPage user. I'm using 2003. I know it's no longer being supported; no time to learn something new. All that said, I'm working on a site that requires bookmarks, linking thumbnails to sections below (on the same page). I've done this hundreds of times without a problem. Now, for some reason, the bookmarks won't work on this particular page. I've got one working -- but the other thumbnails (which link to other cells) won't work. YET -- the "Return to top of page" graphic and bookmark I've created, wh...

OWA on Exchange 2007 not working
I have installed Exchange 2007 EE and moved my mailbox. I've also created the OWA Virtural Directory via Power Shell. To access my mailbox via OWA I keyed" http://servername/owa/userid I've received the logon screen for OWA and entered my userid and password. When I click the Logon button I get the following message: Page not found HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found. Internet Information Services (IIS) Does anyone know why or have I may have missed trying to configure OWA in Exchange 2007 EE? I've created OWA under the "Default Web Site". Wh...

cannot send e-mails using windows mail
I cannot send e-mails using my Windows e-mail. I think I have probably set it up incorrectly. How can I reset it so that I can use it? Thanks Glenn What happens when you try? Any error message? Please post the error message in its entirety. You can left click on it to highlight and then right click to copy and then paste it into this thread. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "glenn" <glenn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD0CE029-59E6-48E0-AF1F-6847C8D8B83A@microsoft.com... >I cannot send e-mai...

IE7 & IE8 in Windows Directory
On Windows XP Professional with SP3 and all the updates maintained current as they have been published and offered by Microsoft Update procedures : I have these folders in the C:\Windows directory... ie7 ; ie7 updates ; ie8 ; and ie8 updates. The ie7 folder is kind of small, at about 25 MV, but the ie7 updates folder is at about 290 MB. Since I am intending to stay with IE8, because of security reasons, among other considerations, may I simply omit the ie7 and ie7 updates folders? I would copy them to another data medium for storage for a while - but I would appreciate any ...

integration manager error: Scrolling window link table not on form
We've had this integration running for the last couple of years and today it stopped. I get this error: "DOC 1 ERROR: Scrolling window link table not on form." regardless of whether I run it on new or processed data. I think this causes the balance of the documents to fail. Here is the full log. Integration Log Integration: AR Sale Invoice Upload (ID: 41) Action: None Start Time: 8/16/2006 12:40:03 PM 8/16/2006 12:40:03 PM Source: IIntegrationEngine_Run, Status Code: 0 Opening source query... 8/16/2006 12:40:03 PM Source: IIntegrationEngine_Run, Status Code: 0 ...

Using Appointment updating in CRM does not show up in Outlook
We have an appointment that was scheduled through c360's Group Calendar. Original time was 11am, but there was a change and the owner changed it to 10am. All of the attendies outlook calendars still show the 11am time. Is there someway to update this appoint in Outlook without having to delete and resend the appt email? I think this is a process issue (need to change the way we do things) but I don't know what needs to change. Any help is greatly appreciated. Ken ...

Windows Mail Access to wireless router
Have just installed a wireless router which works ok with internet cxn. However unable to access via windows mail. Seems to point to old talktalk speed touch hardwire modem. How do l change to point to wireless router (also talktalk) Any help much appreciated -- mickG "Mick" <Mick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00415866-5FE0-4872-8EBA-C1C452E1782B@microsoft.com... > Have just installed a wireless router which works ok with internet cxn. > However unable to access via windows mail. Seems to point to old talktalk > speed touch hardw...

Outlook 2007/Vista 64/ "Cannot open the Outlook Window"
Unable to start Outlook; rcv dialog "Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook; Cannot open the Outlook Window". Error occurred AFTER a Norton 2009 "idle time scan" hang DURING an Outlook send/receive that was apparrently hung due to Norton. I have attempted several published fixes including Scanpst, DeleteOutlookProfiles, running Outlook with /safe switch (same error), uninstall/reinstall Outlook, turning Norton 2009 off during my process, etc. On reinstall (after running DeleteOutlookProfiles), I create a new profile and a new Outlook PST ... still receive the "...

Working with DirectoryInfo
I'm working on a function that removes files related to a virus. The files are called x[1], x[2], x[3], etc, and are found in "Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\<CacheFolder>". The script fails to detect and remove the files because the variable $CacheFolder (seems to return a string instead of a folder object (although the type is reported as DirectoryInfo). The Get-ChildItem cmdlet is trying to the cache folders in my home directory instead of the correct paths. How can I adjust this function to correctly search the cache folders? function ...

Excel Macro Problem, Add-in need to work in every workbook & Error:9 Subscript out of range
I will first write the code then explain the problem ThisWorkbook Part: Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) If PropExis = True And PropValue = True Then UnStampEveryPage End If End Sub Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) If PropExis = True And PropValue = True Then UnStampEveryPage StampEveryPage End If End Sub Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) If PropExis = True And PropValue = True Then UnStampEveryPage End If End Sub Module Part: Option Explicit 'Adds Word Art to Sheet Sub AddWordArt(i As Long) Dim celTo...

CArray output in debugger watch window?
I converted numerous struct arrays into CArrays only to find that I can't assertain the values in the debugger's watch window. Is there a macro or someway to read these values in watch? Glenn Kauffman You can usually go into the m_pData member and examine its contents. joe On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:51:07 -0400, "zahlmeister" <zahlmeister@comcast.net> wrote: >I converted numerous struct arrays into CArrays only to find that I can't >assertain the values in the debugger's watch window. Is there a macro or >someway to read these values in watch? >...

recording audio in notebook not working
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) hi, when i try to record a college lecture while typing my notes i cannot hear anything when i replay the file. i know my microphone works because i have used to for ichat and other things. what would be causing this? ...

Customize Outlook not working
I have installed Office 2000 Professional in a Windows XP enviornment. When I click 'Customize Outllok Today', nothing happens. See if this helps http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 "T Gill" <tgill@ntcvideo.com> wrote in message news:07c401c34a08$3c2a1310$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed Office 2000 Professional in a Windows XP > enviornment. When I click 'Customize Outllok Today', > nothing happens. ...

Outlook 2000 Customize Outlook Today button does not work
Does anyone know why the Customize Outlook Today button does not work and what steps I need to take to get make it work. This is a new hard drive with Win 2000, Office 2000, and Outlook 2000. I have not done anything to corrupt it that I am aware of. When I push the button, nothing happens. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks "John" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:042801c3ddf5$80deb1b0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know why the Customize Outlook Today button > does not work and what steps I need to take to get make i...

Auto Update #2
I have a password protected Excel document that contains links. Is there a way to have Excel automatically update these links on a daily basis without having to open the document, enter the password, then save the document? Thank you in advance, Tony Maybe you could have a macro do it for you. But you'll have to embed the passwords in the code. Tony wrote: > > I have a password protected Excel document that contains links. > > Is there a way to have Excel automatically update these links on a daily > basis without having to open the document, enter the password, t...

Playing a sound on certain emails
I have Outlook on my PC that has a Local Mailbox and a Public Mailbox. I can get it to play sounds when files come into my local mailbox. But how do I get it to run rules and play sounds when they go into the Public Mailbox? Hope this makes sense. Jon ...

windows mail
Why when I start to type an email address that is presently in my contacts the email address doesnt appear in a drop down for me to click? Only recently used (pretty much same day) addresses appear. Windows Mail only remembers the last 29 addresses used for auto-complete. How to clear the email auto-complete entries in Windows Mail http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/245/1/How-to-clear-the-email-auto-complete-entries-in-Windows-Mail.html -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "kray" <kray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote...