repaired ext hd - point to the file data

I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my
computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
another pc - nogo. So....
I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:

A. Media evaluation results overview
* The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.

Can anyone tell me what that means?
Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?

Thanks.

patti
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On May 5, 7:20=A0pm, patti <pa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under =
my
> computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried o=
> another pc - nogo. So....
> I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said=
:

> A. Media evaluation results overview
> * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
> The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
>
> Can anyone tell me what that means?
> Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti

Probably the file name list can not be retreived.  The file "data" is
still on the driver but "index" to were the file "parts" are stored
might not be able to be used.
0
smlunatick
5/5/2010 9:08:35 PM
On 05/05/2010 01:20 PM, patti wrote:
> I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under my
> computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
> another pc - nogo. So....
> I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:
>
> A. Media evaluation results overview
> * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
> The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
>
> Can anyone tell me what that means?
> Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti
Rather than guess
why don't you ask them...it's your money
0
philo
5/6/2010 12:06:55 AM
So what you are saying is that the recovery firm has said your data can be
recovered, as they can repair the file system, but you need to pay them to
complete the recovery.
And you are wondering whether you can repair the file system yourself, and
not pay them, that about it?

"patti" <patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under
> my
> computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
> another pc - nogo. So....
> I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:
>
> A. Media evaluation results overview
> * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
> The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
>
> Can anyone tell me what that means?
> Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti

0
DL
5/6/2010 7:07:26 AM
Yup i wanna know how i correct damage and point to file data.

The company is using proprietary software so no advice on diy. The cost
is $800+. Biting the bullet.

--
pmh17
0

Want to know if possible to correct damage and "point to file data" myself?
Or if there is software for this. (This all depends if i can get ext hd to
connect with my pc, of course)

thanks.

patti

"DL" wrote:

> So what you are saying is that the recovery firm has said your data can be
> recovered, as they can repair the file system, but you need to pay them to
> complete the recovery.
> And you are wondering whether you can repair the file system yourself, and
> not pay them, that about it?
>
> "patti" <patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under
> > my
> > computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
> > another pc - nogo. So....
> > I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:
> >
> > A. Media evaluation results overview
> > * The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
> > The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what that means?
> > Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > patti
>
> .

If you had the correct software to track the file chains and repoint the
indexes and knew how to use the software then yes you could do it
yourself. On the other hand are you willing to spend the money to buy
the software to do this once? Also you would need another hard drive to
   duplicate the drive so you could work on a copy instead of the
original. And then are you confident that you would be successful?
Depending on the damage you may end up not being successful and will
have spent considerably more than $800.

patti wrote:

> the company uses proprietary sw and cannot advise me. $800+ to recover. Go to
> do it.
>
> Want to know if possible to correct damage and "point to file data" myself?
> Or if there is software for this. (This all depends if i can get ext hd to
> connect with my pc, of course)
>
> thanks.
>
> patti
>
> "DL" wrote:
>

>>So what you are saying is that the recovery firm has said your data can be
>>recovered, as they can repair the file system, but you need to pay them to
>>complete the recovery.
>>And you are wondering whether you can repair the file system yourself, and
>>not pay them, that about it?
>>
>>"patti" <patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I recently had an external hard drive fail. Sometimes it showed up under
>>>my
>>>computer and other times not. Did not show up in disk management. Tried on
>>>another pc - nogo. So....
>>>I sent drive off for data recovery and received email from comp that said:
>>>
>>>A. Media evaluation results overview
>>>* The file system was structurally damaged preventing access to the data.
>>>The file system has been repaired to point to the file data.
>>>
>>>Can anyone tell me what that means?
>>>Is there a way i could "repoint" to data?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>patti
>>
>>.

0
Bob
5/6/2010 2:16:07 PM
I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
that?

Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
there a way to prevent the corruption?

Thanks.

patti

"Bob I" wrote:

> If you had the correct software to track the file chains and repoint the
> indexes and knew how to use the software then yes you could do it
> yourself. On the other hand are you willing to spend the money to buy
> the software to do this once? Also you would need another hard drive to
>    duplicate the drive so you could work on a copy instead of the
> original. And then are you confident that you would be successful?
> Depending on the damage you may end up not being successful and will
> have spent considerably more than $800.
>
> patti wrote:
>
> > the company uses proprietary sw and cannot advise me. $800+ to recover. Go to
> > do it.
> >
> > Want to know if possible to correct damage and "point to file data" myself?
> > Or if there is software for this. (This all depends if i can get ext hd to
> > connect with my pc, of course)
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > patti
> >
> > "DL" wrote:
> >

> >>So what you are saying is that the recovery firm has said your data can be
> >>recovered, as they can repair the file system, but you need to pay them to
> >>complete the recovery.
> >>And you are wondering whether you can repair the file system yourself, and
> >>not pay them, that about it?
> >>
> >>"patti" <patti@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >>.
> >>

> .

Let me offer an analogy, you have a car and it leaked out the radiator
coolant and overheated. The garage says you have warped heads and scored
cylinders and it's going to cost $1000 to fix. You say, wow can I do
this myself and save the $1000? I'm pretty sure if you had the tools and
knowledge you could save $500 of that, BUT you don't. You are in the
same position with that external drive. If you have failing hardware,
then data corruption is bound to occur. Can you "prevent" it? No the
least expensive method of coping with the inevitable is a backup copy of
everything you deem important.

patti wrote:

> I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
> way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
> that?
>
> Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
> there a way to prevent the corruption?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti
>

> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>If you had the correct software to track the file chains and repoint the
>>indexes and knew how to use the software then yes you could do it
>>yourself. On the other hand are you willing to spend the money to buy
>>the software to do this once? Also you would need another hard drive to
>>   duplicate the drive so you could work on a copy instead of the
>>original. And then are you confident that you would be successful?
>>Depending on the damage you may end up not being successful and will
>>have spent considerably more than $800.
>>
>>patti wrote:
>>

>>>the company uses proprietary sw and cannot advise me. $800+ to recover. Go to
>>>do it.
>>>
>>>Want to know if possible to correct damage and "point to file data" myself?
>>>Or if there is software for this. (This all depends if i can get ext hd to
>>>connect with my pc, of course)
>>>
>>>thanks.
>>>
>>>patti

>>.

0
Bob
5/6/2010 5:53:55 PM
patti wrote:
> I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
> way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
> that?
>
> Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
> there a way to prevent the corruption?
>
> Thanks.
>
> patti

You cannot totally prevent corruption.  Even if you could (up to some
practical limit), it would be cheaper to live with the possibility of
data loss by maintaining backup copies of your data.

If your data matters, you back it up.  Period.
--
Cheers, Bob
0

I was hoping to learn more about file system and repairs. I am a
tech-curious girl. Can you recommend any sites/books where i could educate
myself on the issue of this corruption?

Thanks, Bob I and everyone.

patti

"Bob I" wrote:

> Let me offer an analogy, you have a car and it leaked out the radiator
> coolant and overheated. The garage says you have warped heads and scored
> cylinders and it's going to cost $1000 to fix. You say, wow can I do
> this myself and save the $1000? I'm pretty sure if you had the tools and
> knowledge you could save $500 of that, BUT you don't. You are in the
> same position with that external drive. If you have failing hardware,
> then data corruption is bound to occur. Can you "prevent" it? No the
> least expensive method of coping with the inevitable is a backup copy of
> everything you deem important.
>
> patti wrote:
>
> > I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
> > way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
> > that?
> >
> > Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
> > there a way to prevent the corruption?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > patti
> >

> > "Bob I" wrote:
> >

> >>If you had the correct software to track the file chains and repoint the
> >>indexes and knew how to use the software then yes you could do it
> >>yourself. On the other hand are you willing to spend the money to buy
> >>the software to do this once? Also you would need another hard drive to
> >>   duplicate the drive so you could work on a copy instead of the
> >>original. And then are you confident that you would be successful?
> >>Depending on the damage you may end up not being successful and will
> >>have spent considerably more than $800.

> >>.
> >>

> .

Software
http://www.data-recovery-software.net/
hard-drive
http://www.logicsmith.com/disklayout.html

patti wrote:

> Oh, i back up. to ext hd and to online site. I just was stupid with some
> reports.
>
> I was hoping to learn more about file system and repairs. I am a
> tech-curious girl. Can you recommend any sites/books where i could educate
> myself on the issue of this corruption?
>
> Thanks, Bob I and everyone.
>
> patti
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>

>>Let me offer an analogy, you have a car and it leaked out the radiator
>>coolant and overheated. The garage says you have warped heads and scored
>>cylinders and it's going to cost $1000 to fix. You say, wow can I do
>>this myself and save the $1000? I'm pretty sure if you had the tools and
>>knowledge you could save $500 of that, BUT you don't. You are in the
>>same position with that external drive. If you have failing hardware,
>>then data corruption is bound to occur. Can you "prevent" it? No the
>>least expensive method of coping with the inevitable is a backup copy of
>>everything you deem important.
>>
>>patti wrote:
>>

>>>I can't duplicate the drive as it drops in and out. I was hoping to find a
>>>way to "repoint" to data while i had a connection. Any software that does
>>>that?
>>>
>>>Can you explian what the file chains are and how they work, please? And is
>>>there a way to prevent the corruption?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>patti

>>.

0
Bob
5/7/2010 5:54:57 PM

> Oh, i back up. to ext hd and to online site. I just was stupid with some
> reports.
>
> I was hoping to learn more about file system and repairs. I am a
> tech-curious girl. Can you recommend any sites/books where i could educate
> myself on the issue of this corruption?
>
> Thanks, Bob I and everyone.
>
> patti

patti:
Nearly needless to say there's an enormous amount of material on the net and
in books that deals with file systems, data recovery, repairs of the
operating system (OS), etc. It's really difficult, if not impossible, to
point you to one, two, or three sources that will meet your individual
needs. My only suggestion would be to use a Google search to peruse the
websites that deal with such matters. Also, peruse the offerings in the
computer section of your local book store.

But the *real* reason for my post is to encourage you to seriously consider
employing a disk-imaging or disk-cloning program that's designed to back up
your system in a comprehensive manner. It's fine (as you have indicated) to
back up user-created data to an external destination of one sort or another
and to do so "on-the-fly" so to speak. But for the great majority of PC
users it's equally (if not more) important to back up one's *complete*
system, including the OS, all one's programs & applications, user
configurations, and of course, all user-created data. In other words create
& maintain what amounts to a precise copy of one's day-to-day working hard
drive (HDD).

As I've indicated, you can do this using a disk-imaging or disk-cloning
program. And if you employ such a program on a relatively frequent basis (as
you should) you can feel reasonably assured that should your source HDD fail
or should the OS become so corrupt that the system will not boot or properly
function, you will have the wherewithal to restore your system to a
bootable, functional state with a minimum of fuss & time.

There are myriad such programs available - both free & commercial products.
Our particular favorite is the Casper disk-cloning (commercial) program and
we strongly recommend this program for the large body of PC users. If you're
interested I'll post details about the program and why we prefer it as a
comprehensive backup program.
Anna

0
Anna
5/7/2010 7:04:08 PM
Thanks, Anna.
I have been looking at Ghost.
Clone, Image, Back-up Hard drive. I am more an apps (cobol, access, excel,
vba, windows scripting, etc. ) chick but want to know way more about the
workings of pc's. So much to learn!

Thanks to all.