Insert button on keyboard

Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?

I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what has
been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want to go,
and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've accidentally
hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters, having to undo,
press Insert again, continue, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Alain

0
Alain
4/12/2010 10:46:07 AM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Alain Dekker" <alain.dekker@NO.SPAM.loma.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
> has been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want
> to go, and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
> accidentally hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters,
> having to undo, press Insert again, continue, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain

Jam something under it so it can't be pressed?

Just kidding, although that may be the easiest way. Being a four fingers,
all thumbs typist (using the term VERY loosely), I feel your pain. I
sometimes hit the Insert key when reaching for the Delete key, but have
kinda learned to live with it :-)
--
SC Tom

0
SC
4/12/2010 11:11:07 AM
We need to start a petition to the hardware driver writers to include this
as a feature! I cannot believe more than 1% of people need the functionality
that "Insert" provides (brace self for responses from people who "could not
live without it").

Your idea of jamming something under the key might not be a bad one... :o)

Thanks,
Alain

"SC Tom" <sc@tom.net> wrote in message

> "Alain Dekker" <alain.dekker@NO.SPAM.loma.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>>
>> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
>> has been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want
>> to go, and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
>> accidentally hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters,
>> having to undo, press Insert again, continue, etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Alain
>>

> Jam something under it so it can't be pressed?
>
> Just kidding, although that may be the easiest way. Being a four fingers,
> all thumbs typist (using the term VERY loosely), I feel your pain. I
> sometimes hit the Insert key when reaching for the Delete key, but have
> kinda learned to live with it :-)
> --
> SC Tom

0
Alain
4/12/2010 1:24:58 PM
See:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/archive/w2kscan-map.mspx

As an example, here's a reg file I use to map the Caps Lock to Left-Shift.

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode
Map"=hex:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,02,00,00,00,2a,00,3a,00,00,00,00,00

You can find the keyboard scancodes here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/1/161ba512-40e2-4cc9-843a-923143f3456c/scancode.doc

On 4/12/2010 09:24, Alain Dekker wrote:
> We need to start a petition to the hardware driver writers to include this
> as a feature! I cannot believe more than 1% of people need the functionality
> that "Insert" provides (brace self for responses from people who "could not
> live without it").
>
> Your idea of jamming something under the key might not be a bad one... :o)

> "SC Tom"<sc@tom.net>  wrote in message
>>
>> "Alain Dekker"<alain.dekker@NO.SPAM.loma.com>  wrote in message
>>> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>>>
>>> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
>>> has been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want
>>> to go, and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
>>> accidentally hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters,
>>> having to undo, press Insert again, continue, etc.
>>>

>> Jam something under it so it can't be pressed?
>>
>> Just kidding, although that may be the easiest way. Being a four fingers,
>> all thumbs typist (using the term VERY loosely), I feel your pain. I
>> sometimes hit the Insert key when reaching for the Delete key, but have
>> kinda learned to live with it :-)
>> --
>> SC Tom

0
Bill
4/12/2010 2:03:46 PM
learn to use CTRL-Z for "undo"

Alain Dekker wrote:

> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what has
> been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want to go,
> and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've accidentally
> hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters, having to undo,
> press Insert again, continue, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain

0
Bob
4/12/2010 3:16:15 PM
Alain Dekker wrote:

> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what has
> been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want to go,
> and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've accidentally
> hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters, having to undo,
> press Insert again, continue, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain

Hot-melt glue.  Aim the glue gun under the keytop and leave a dab of
hot-melt glue underneath to prevent the ability to push down the key.  If
you want to restore the key's function, pop off the key cap, snap off the
hot-melt glue, and replace the key cap.  You could just pop off the key cap
and leave it that way.  Your finger will feel the difference of the missing
key cap when you have to push your finger further to touch the support stud.

You could use software to turn the Insert key into a do-nothing key or have
it perform some other function.  Just Google to find articles or software
for keyboard remap, like:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%2Bkeyboard+%2Bremap

One such hit was:
http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/remap-keyboard.htm
0
VanguardLH
4/12/2010 7:43:53 PM

"Alain Dekker" <alain.dekker@NO.SPAM.loma.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
> has been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want
> to go, and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
> accidentally hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters,
> having to undo, press Insert again, continue, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain

 Or, if you are using Word, just turn off Overtype

"In Word, you can double-click OVR  on the status bar to turn Overtype mode
on or off. Or, on the Tools menu, click Options, click the Edit tab, and
then select or clear the Overtype mode check box."
Ted

0
ted
4/13/2010 1:20:00 AM
Thanks hadn't spotted that option in Word before! Unfortunately, I've just
tried it and it doesn't work! When I press "Insert" and "OVR" is displayed,
it types over the next character like usual not matter what I set this to.
I'm using Word 97, so maybe its just a bug in Word 97.

Thanks for that tip, though!

"ted" <ted@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Alain Dekker" <alain.dekker@NO.SPAM.loma.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>>
>> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
>> has been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want
>> to go, and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
>> accidentally hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters,
>> having to undo, press Insert again, continue, etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Alain
>>

> Or, if you are using Word, just turn off Overtype
>
> "In Word, you can double-click OVR  on the status bar to turn Overtype
> mode
> on or off. Or, on the Tools menu, click Options, click the Edit tab, and
> then select or clear the Overtype mode check box."
> Ted

0
Alain
4/13/2010 2:45:10 PM
On 4/12/2010 5:46 AM, Alain Dekker wrote:
> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what has
> been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want to go,
> and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've accidentally
> hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters, having to undo,
> press Insert again, continue, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Alain

You might want to consider a different keyboard. I have a Microsoft
cordless keyboard on which the typical "Insert" key has been done away
with in favor of an oversized "Delete" key.  The "Insert" function is
still available on the numeric keypad when Numlock is turned off.
There's a picture of it here: http://tinyurl.com/y73dkmd
0
Etaoin
4/13/2010 4:19:20 PM
Yes, thats another reasonable idea. I've actually removed the key altogether
(it could be wedged off with a screwdriver quite easily) and this is now
working well for me.

"Etaoin Shrdlu" <etaoin@shrdlu.net> wrote in message
> On 4/12/2010 5:46 AM, Alain Dekker wrote:
>> Is there any way to stop this button from functioning?
>>
>> I'm sure there are many people who do need the ability to type over what
>> has
>> been written (if that needs to be done, just select the text you want to
>> go,
>> and press Delete). Its just a constant annoyance finding you've
>> accidentally
>> hit the Insert key and then typed over a few characters, having to undo,
>> press Insert again, continue, etc.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Alain
>>

> You might want to consider a different keyboard. I have a Microsoft
> cordless keyboard on which the typical "Insert" key has been done away
> with in favor of an oversized "Delete" key.  The "Insert" function is
> still available on the numeric keypad when Numlock is turned off. There's
> a picture of it here: http://tinyurl.com/y73dkmd

0
Alain

Removing Buttons
I copied buttons from a WEB page into an EXCEL spreadsheet. I tried to remove the buttons using edit/go to/special/objects -- but it says 'no objects found'. I also tried to 'right click' the button and cut - but it did not work either. I can send you a sample if possible. If there's no shapes you want to keep, maybe this'll do it for you. (Save your file first--just in case.) Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim iCtr As Long Dim myErrNumber As Long With ActiveSheet .Shapes.SelectAll On Error Resume Next Selection.Delete ...

Excel macro or command button to search using a user form
I have a user form which shows info about each student. I want to be able to enter a student's name in a textbox and have all the fields on the form populated with the student information. You need to be a lot more specific on what you are wanting else we have to make a lot of assumptions. I would recommend using a combobox instead of a textbox. This way you can utilize the Change Event and have the students info. automatically filled in the rest of your userform. I will assume you have a list of students in Sheet1 in Col. A. Just set the RowSource property of the c...

Closing a child Dialog when the Mouse button is clicked outside the Parent Dialog
Hai I Have a Parent Dialog and a ChildDialog associated with that and when the mouse is clciked outside the Parent Dialog the child window has to be closed and the parent dialog has to minimized to the taskbar please let me know how to handle this situation Thanks and Regards sures h Are you referring to a dialogs that have Parent/Child relation? The reason I ask is because this is rather unusual. Modeless dialogs are used as children of the frame window as form view. Are you writing something similar to this? "Suresh" wrot...

Insert a line or shape in a table
Creating a chart from Excel, I copied and pasted it to my Word document. I now need to put in some lines to create a graph, but when I insert the line, the table expands and places the line within one segment. I want to extend the line across the top of the whole table. I don't see where I can lock the table so it won't change. Drawn lines have nothing to keep them in place. Use a real bit of data, and the line will stay locked in place: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Cu...

Linq to sql
Hi. There must be something I missed... If I do a simple linq query like this: var sections = from s in ProjectGlobal.rd.ER_Person_Sections where s.Person_Id == "10" select s; The result is shown in a grid and a new itemrow is visible last in the grid. I can also change values in the grid. But if I change the "select s" with specific return values: select new { s.Person_Id, s.Section_Code, s.ER_Section.SectionName }; The new row is not visible and I can't change any values. The dataset seems...

Inserting Images in Publisher
I had to reinstall publisher and now that I have, Publisher no longer recognizes some image types, .jpg, .bmp, .gif. It only recognizes draw-type pictures and not Bitmapped images. Even in the "All File Types", I cannot insert a Bitmapped image. Please help Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Highlight the Publisher program and choose "Change". When prompted, choose "Add Features". Then be sure to select to run ALL from your computer so that everything is installed. You may not have installed all the optional graphic filters. -- B...

Inserted images from file are showing blurry on screen, why?
Recently any image format I insert in Publisher 2007 appears blurry on screen. It looks fine in print preview, but it's difficult to know what your document will look like without printing. Why is this happening all of a sudden. Was always fine before. Puzzling. --- frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.publisher/ Try; View | Pictures | Picture display...what do you have it set at? -- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Rob Giordano Microsoft MVP Expression Web "Pam" wrote in message news:#NQ4N1QdKHA.2164@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Recently any image for...

How do I insert a specific number in a gantt bar
Hi I,m attempting to insert a specific number into a gantt bar or edit default text in the format box. Any body help? Hi GarryB, I'm not sure I understand completely what you are trying to do. I'm guessing edit the information which shows next to the bars on the Gantt chart? Insert a custom field into the table through Insert > Column and pick on of the text columns. Enter the value you want to show. Then Format > Bar Styles. Select the bar type and on the Text tab, select the custom field. I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along. Julie Pr...

Inserting Data into Custom Entities
We have created a custom entity in CRM. We would like to populate this data with data from another application. How can we accomplish this? Thanks, Amy Hi, If the data has to be imported one time then you can use Microsoft DMF or if you want real time data population then you can rely on integration tools like BizTalk or Scribe or you can write a console application in .Net which can retrieve the data from the application and use SDK to import the data into CRM. Hope this answers your query. -- Regards Ram "AAA" wrote: > We have created a custom entity in CRM. ...

Insert Picture from dropdown selection
I'm working at a Marina and trying to make a comparison chart for different types of boats. I am trying to make a list, and based upon the users selection of a boat, insert a corresponding picture to match the boat selected from that list. I've researched other thread discussions, and tried to approach it this way, as reccommended by Ron Coderre: Select Sheet2 and turn off Grid Lines (Tools>Options>View tab:Uncheck Grid Lines) 1)For each picture to be displayed: 1a. Insert>Picture from file. (select picture, put it in the sheet and resize it). 1b. Select the range of cel...

insert WPF user control in ppt slide
Any way to insert WPF user control in ppt slide? Thanks, Vatia ...

Inserting additional data into an existing cell?
Excel for Dummies Question!: How do I insert additional data into an existing cell following my existing data and NOT replacing it? There are several different ways: 1. If you have text in a cell and want to append stuff to it, then do it in the formula bar. Click at the end of the old material in the formula bar and type the additional stuff in. 2. If you want to append stuff from another cell then, use concatinate =A1 & B1 and copy back inbto A1. 3. If you have numbers that you want to label, say "miles", then use custom formatting -- Gary's Student "CSJ5...

When I insert a table the text after in moves to the next page
I would be grateful for any help! I am using styles formatting and am doing a report. When I insert a table the text moves to the next page, what ever I do. It is driving me mad! I can't find a style option for tables and can't seem to save the table as a new style Adding new contents would move existing contents down the page, or even to the next page if there isn't room on the current page... Display nonprinting marks, for example by pressing Ctrl+Shift+8 (acts as a toggle). Are there any blank paragraphs (�) on the page? If so, remove them. Your text paragra...

How to add button for macro in Fluent UI?
I have a macro in my personal.xlsb which will be available for all the workbooks in my PC. I want to add a button in the fluent UI for that macro which will be available for all the work books. How to add a custom button? If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's site: http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an addin) or http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm Yajiv wrote: > > I have a macro in my personal.xlsb which will be available for all the > workbooks in my PC. &...

Print form without command button.
I need to know how to print a from without the command buttons showing. Thx for your insight. On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:59:03 -0700, Sokan33 wrote: > I need to know how to print a from without the command buttons showing. Thx > for your insight. Set the button's Display When property to Screen Only. It's on the button's property sheet's Format tab. Note: Form's are designed for data entry, manipulation , and display, not for printing. You would be well advised to create a report with the data you wish to show. If you wish to display the data within the form'...

Inserting arrays as variables
How can I insert an array or range of variables (e.g. .042 to .168) into a formula? Alternatively, can I define variables (e.g. x, y) without having to use Visual Basic? I'm trying to create a chart which outputs values based on constants and a function involving the range of variables. Thanks for your help! {0.042,0.07,0.1,0.11,0.123,0.13,0.168} as an example -- HTH Bob (there's no email, no snail mail, but somewhere should be gmail in my addy) "anthonyd" <anthonyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:404CE381-5890-458B-9A43-6EA3CB894591@micros...

INSERTING ROWS and LOSING FORMAT
I own a spreadsheet that has daily data inputted for, say 7, years; to add rows to increase my size, I "Insert" rows at the top of the spreadsheet, say 10 rows every day! And, for years, only until recently, every new cell was properly formatted. Now, each time I "Insert" a rows, my column formatted (as todays time) as follows: 12:43am becomes 12:43, or 1:27pm becomes 1:27 and, this occurs EVERY DAY for 3 rows only of my newly "INSERTED" 12 to 14 rows! I have never had this happen before, and I...

I can't select non adjacent cells using the control button
For some reason I am having a terrible time selecting or highlighting a group of cells and then using the control button and selecting another group of cells Are you selecting say A1:A3 then hold CTRL key and select D1:D3? What occurs when you try? How about hitting SHIFT + F8 then selecting A1:A3 and D1:D3? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 19 Sep 2009 15:24:01 -0700, mustbesimple <mustbesimple@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >For some reason I am having a terrible time selecting or highlighting a group >of cells and then using the control button and selecting anothe...

Cannot insert Column
When I try to insert a column, the option is grayed out - it won't let me. Is this an issue with security that I may have inadvertantly changed? I made no conscious effort to do this, and can't fix. The worksheet is my own. thank.s Do you have your worksheet protected? "Buss" wrote: > When I try to insert a column, the option is grayed out - it won't let me. > > Is this an issue with security that I may have inadvertantly changed? I > made no conscious effort to do this, and can't fix. The worksheet is my own. > > thank.s ...

Insert character in a cell using a keyboard shortcut
Hi, I have a workbook with values in Column A that have to be split into columns. Before splitting into columns I need to manually insert delimiters eg. "~" . The user will get into the cell in Edit mode and then use a keyboard shortcut to insert the pre-defined delimiter viz. "~". Can this be done? (I tried recording a macro but the entire cell string with the delimter was recorded.) If this is not possible, any other way/ideas for inserting delimiters where there is no pattern for programatically inserting the same? Thanks in advance for the help. Regard...

Close button on tabs
I have a tab control with icons + labels. I want to include a little 'x' on the top-right corner of each tab (a close button). I suspect I'm going to need to create a custom control. My question is: Is is possible to subclass or somehow utilize CTabCtrl so that I don't have to recreate the entire control form a CWnd or CStatic control? If so, how? Thank you all. You can owner-draw the CTabCtrl. Here is a sample. http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/tabcontrols/article.php/c2237 You could draw the "X" in the DrawItem() code. -SM On Sep 9, 2:56=A0am, Se...

Voting Buttons
Hello, I have an approval process that I an trying to make faster. I would like to send the necessary files to the required reviewers, and include voting buttons for them to 'accept' or 'reject' the data. I learned how to set up a template for this purpose and have successfully seen the vote responses recorded in the original e-mail on the "tracking" tab. I can print this e-mail once all have responded and have a paper record of their votes. However, there are times when the voters "edit their response before sending" and include comments. Rathe...

Keyboard HID minidriver
I have studied kbdclass class driver for keyboards and vhidmini hid minidriver. I understood how both drivers do stuff internally and how control IRP packets get passed down the driver stack from the class driver to the minidriver, but I have not understood how read requests are processed. I didn't understand where exactly in kbdclass does IRP_MJ_READ get passed to the minidriver. From what I see, this doesn't happen, IRP_MJ_READ is completed in the class driver. The class driver just removes stuff from it's queue. If this is the case, how does the minidriver fill t...

Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000
Hello: Appreciate any help with my Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000. martin2004@comcast.net On Sat, 5 May 2007 18:10:45 -0400, "martin2004" <martin2004@comcast.net> wrote: >Hello: > >Appreciate any help with my Microsoft Wireless Laser Keyboard 6000. > > >martin2004@comcast.net Then ask in a newsgroup supporting your version of Windows, or a hardware forum. This newsgroup is for questions about the database software Microsoft Access. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...