Get drive letter for old slave hard drive while keeping data

Hello,

My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a
new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave
drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive,
it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How
can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it
and losing all of my data?

Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on
the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one,
but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.

Thanks,
Richard

windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"crobar" <crobar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a
> new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second
slave
> drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this
drive,
> it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter.
How
> can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting
it
> and losing all of my data?
>
> Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is
on
> the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had
one,
> but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.

Absence of a jumper is a standard jumper setting
meaning this is the only HDD on this IDE line -- which
may be the cause of your malfunction. Modern IDE HDDs
usually have 6 pins in three (paired) jumper positions:
Left = Master of a pair of HDD
Middle = Slave of a pair
Right = Cable Select
None = Singleton i.e. only drive on the IDE line.

If your HDD has more than three pairs of jumper
pins, consult the maker's web site for jumper data.
Put the appropriate jumper in place, reconnect
the HDD, and repost results here.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
2/10/2010 1:47:13 PM
  Most of the time,(by default),cable select isnt used in xp,set as slave
 or master..Also,if you carefully look at the hd,the pin selection should
 be on a sticker by the mfg,if not,go to the mfg web site for proper settings.
 Also,if you go to run,type:diskmgmt.msc  In msc,L.click on a hd,go to
 actions,all,select: Make drive active  Gets you a letter(this being that
the hd
 are set-up properly)..

"crobar" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My master hard disk has failed and I have successfully replaced it with a
> new one and reinstalled windows XP etc. Before the crash I had a second slave
> drive with some data I would like to keep on it. When I connect this drive,
> it shows up in disk management, but does not get assigned a drive letter. How
> can I get windows to assign a drive letter to the drive without formatting it
> and losing all of my data?
>
> Both drives are IDE drives, the master is jumpered to cable select and is on
> the master cable, the slave seems to have lost its jumper, or never had one,
> but shows up in the bios as the secondary hard drive.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard

get paid now!!!
when you subscribe you'll be rewarded 10$$$ Check it now,don't wait!!!!!!! http://e-mailpaysu.com/members/index.cgi?andrusko ...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

how do i get font style back on toolbar?
new to this...when i started my document the font style was displayed on toolbar...now it is not...what do i do and thanks to those who help!!!!!!1 Melissa, try view, toolbars, and check formatting -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "melissa" <melissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:852099EC-03A0-4B0F-91AD-0B9F61CF8C4B@microsoft.com... > new to this...when i started my document the fon...

Get Mallika Sherawath Bathing Videos in all Angles
Get Mallika Sherawath Bathing Videos At http://blogcreationandhosting.blogspot.com/2009/11/1-per-click-in-adsense-programs.html < Due to some issues,I have hidden these videos inside an image.In that website , click on the big vertical Image on right side of website & get the videos, Enjoy it > ...

Can I get my Dialog's background color already? :) Just can't figure it out
I'm trying to get the background color for the basic Dialog created using the Wizard GetSysColor(COLOR_WINDOW) isn't working (returns some other color) GetBkColor() for the DC isn't working (returns white) Where can I trap that? The dc->GetBkColor in OnPaint returns a white color I finally did GetSysColor(COLOR_3DFACE) because I noticed they are the same, but that's not really what I want Thank you. "Yasoo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9FF1E6B-C815-41B0-92FA-846EDC82FBAE@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to get the ba...

Chinese letters in a Query
Hi all, i have this strange issue: I just converted to 2007..and in a memo field of a query i receive chinese letter???? what have i done wrong? See if this link about memo fields in queries helps. http://allenbrowne.com/bug-16.html Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC86408F-9337-4E09-BE4A-52E50FC912A2@microsoft.com... > Hi all, i have this strange issue: > > I just converted to 2007..and in a memo field of a query i receive > chinese > ...

Keeps asking for password #2
I have followed all of the instructions given previously, I have deleted and recreated my e-mail account but Outlook 2002 (Windows XP) still keeps asking me for user ID and password every time it tries to send / recieve. The strange thing is that I have two accounts and this is only a problem with one of them. one of your accounts is set to ask formy outgoing server requires authentication, see under tools ...accounts... send...and then advanced email settings, or just double click on the email accunt , it wil give you the properties, take it from there it should be the settings should ...

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

Help!!Getting audio files to play continuously during slide show?!
I have Powerpoint 2002, and i am having a hard time getting the music file to play continuously during the slide show. it plays on the first slide (which is the only slide that has the little speaker picture on it), but then it doesn't transition to the next slide until after the song is done, when i want the song to play while the slides are transitioning. HELP please! Mega, Have a look here and see if it helps, there are tuturials in video demonstrating the process. http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00047.htm -- Luc Sanders MVP - PowerPoint "MegaB86" <MegaB86...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

queries written inside MS-Access are getting deleted
Some of the queries I have written inside MS-Access are getting deleted automatically. And while I run the queries through code, I get this error 'Query should have one destination field' Explanation: I created a query in MS-access. Ran it from the code. Closed the database. Started it again, and now for that particular query, it is showing 'SELECT ;' only. Strange. I am in panic mode now What can be the possible reason? My first thought is that the database file is corrupt. Unfortunately it's a type of corruption that Compact and Repair probably won...

Cut'n'Pasting data
Greetings ! I have a CSV data file wot looks something like this - "1529.17698720957","133.597550559965" "1685.21901149326","132.817184396522" "1900.00000000000","130.300887834893" "2193.34485206410","121.730777157435" "2363.17295960769","114.937652855693" "2523.01169878763","108.544103288496" "3240.77088467590","87.805735336415" "3590.69860622591","81.680775462264" "4229.19543928027","78.487652800160" This data i...

installing all clipart to hard drive in Office Professional
I want to install the whold clip art gallery to the hard drive. When it was installed some of the clip art is accessible with out putting in the orginal cd but I would prefer to have all of it on the hard drive. Which version of Publisher are you using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ggr" <ggr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EBF70A74-DF7F-431B-A2D8-BF4825F6CB9A@microsoft.com... >I want to install the whold clip art gallery to the hard drive. When it >was > installed some of the clip art is accessible with out putting in the >...

How to access data buffers in a completion routine for a KMDF driv
I'm porting a WDM upper filter driver to KMDF version. I have two questions about data accessing in a completion routine. 1. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data from Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and the data was set by function driver). How to do this for my KMDF driver? 2. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data by calling MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe(Irp->MdlAddress, NormalPagePriority)( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and t...

Automatically moving data #4

Making sure data is saved on closing application
Hi, I have built myself the following application from 'Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days' chapter 'Day 14 - Retrieving Data from an ODBC Database' http://serghei.net/docs/programming/c++/ty%20visualC++6%2021%20days/ch14/ch14.htm The application lets you edit and add records to a database (as well as just retreive them). The application uses recordset flags in code to make sure that data is saved if you edit one record and move to another. However, there is no code to make sure new or edited data is saved when the application is exited. After having poked about, I have...

refer to data on multiple worksheets using hlookup/look up data on many worksheets?
Hi I have data on many worksheets in the same workbook. Is it possible to look up data on multiple worksheets using Hlookup, which means can the second argument in the formula refer to multiple sources? If it is not possible, is there any other way I can do so? I would like to select and display data according to a fixed order, whereby the data is located in one of many worksheets in the same workbook. For eg, I have stock returns of many firms in many worksheets. Say I would like to display in a single worksheet the returns of Firm D, Firm Z, Firm R; whereby the data of these 3 fir...

2003 Keeps the default workbook open
When I start Excel, it starts up with a blank workbook. If I immediately open a saved file, it closes the blank workbook... All good... except mine has stopped closing the blank one. So I always end up with 2 workbooks open, the one I opened and a blank one that I'm not interested in! Is this a setting? if so where? Can I fix it? thanks... M Did you or someone create a default workbook (ie, Book.xltx or Book.xltm) and save it in "C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART"? On 5/9/2010 4:17 AM, Michelle wrote: > When I start...

getting addresses from 2000 to 2002
I am having trouble getting email addresses I added in outlook 2000 on a 98 box to outlook 2002 on an XP box. We are on an exchange server and for some reason when I added addresses to my address book they did not get saved on the exchange server. Now I can't see them on my XP box. Any ideas how I can get those addresses from my 98 box to my XP box?......thanks....Dave Where were the addresses being stored were they in the Mailbox Contact folder or were they in a PAB (Personal Address Book). "Dave" <dfinkenbinder@lextron-inc.com> wrote in message news:1bfe401c4217...

use excel to input data into dbf
Pls advise how to use excel to input data into dbf One approach would be to save your worksheet as a DBF file. Excel offers dBase II, III, and IV formats in the Save As Type drop-down box. Bill "akung" <akung410@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OuPsVww$EHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... Pls advise how to use excel to input data into dbf But I only want to input data record by record so no need to input the whole dbase "Bill Sharpe" <bsharpe@nsadelphia.net> wrote in message news:O$mZg10$EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > One approach would be to save...