Drive Connection and Jumpering

Hello,

I have a Dell PowerEdge 600SC running the A09 BIOS.  The mobo has 3 IDE
controllers.  I have two IDE hard drives connected to the Primary IDE
controller, with one jumpered as the master and the other as the slave.
I have a DVD drive and a CD-ROM drive connected to the Secondary IDE
controller with the DVD drive jumpered as the master and the CD-ROM
drive as the slave.  The system also has a connected 3.5" floppy drive.
There is currently nothing connected to the Tertiary IDE controller.

The BIOS and Windows XP both see all the drives, and I can use all the
drives without problems.  However, now I have a need to configure both
the DVD and CD-ROM drives in the boot sequence, but I can only get one
of them at a time to show up in the boot sequence setting in the BIOS.
I can make it the DVD *or* the CD-ROM, but not both at the same time.

I've tried putting the DVD and CD-ROM drives on different controllers
and changing the jumper settings accordingly, but none of the
combinations I've tried have worked.  The only combination that I have
not tried is putting the DVD drive on the same cable as the primary hard
drive, and the CD-ROM drive on the same cable as the secondary hard
drive, or vice versa (I've heard that can slow down hard drive
operation).  What I would like is a boot order like the following:

   DVD drive
   CD-ROM drive
   Hard drive
   Floppy drive

How can I connect and jumper the drives in the system to get that boot
order?

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

--Tom
0
Thomas
11/17/2009 8:19:35 AM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

"Thomas M." <ReplyToNewsgroup@Please.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 600SC running the A09 BIOS.  The mobo has 3 IDE
> controllers.  I have two IDE hard drives connected to the Primary IDE
> controller, with one jumpered as the master and the other as the slave.
> I have a DVD drive and a CD-ROM drive connected to the Secondary IDE
> controller with the DVD drive jumpered as the master and the CD-ROM
> drive as the slave.  The system also has a connected 3.5" floppy drive.
> There is currently nothing connected to the Tertiary IDE controller.
>
> The BIOS and Windows XP both see all the drives, and I can use all the
> drives without problems.  However, now I have a need to configure both
> the DVD and CD-ROM drives in the boot sequence, but I can only get one
> of them at a time to show up in the boot sequence setting in the BIOS.
> I can make it the DVD *or* the CD-ROM, but not both at the same time.
>
> I've tried putting the DVD and CD-ROM drives on different controllers
> and changing the jumper settings accordingly, but none of the
> combinations I've tried have worked.  The only combination that I have
> not tried is putting the DVD drive on the same cable as the primary hard
> drive, and the CD-ROM drive on the same cable as the secondary hard
> drive, or vice versa (I've heard that can slow down hard drive
> operation).  What I would like is a boot order like the following:
>
>   DVD drive
>   CD-ROM drive
>   Hard drive
>   Floppy drive
>
> How can I connect and jumper the drives in the system to get that boot
> order?

While I am pondering your question, let me ask one.

Why do you want both the DVD drive an the CD drive to be capable of booting
the PC?  Invariably, a bootable disc would only be inserted in one drive and
not both.  Why can't you just put the bootable disc in whichever drive you
configure as bootable?

It may be a limitation of your BIOS that you can only have one bootable
optical drive.

Thomas M. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 600SC running the A09 BIOS.  The mobo has 3 IDE
> controllers.  I have two IDE hard drives connected to the Primary IDE
> controller, with one jumpered as the master and the other as the slave.
> I have a DVD drive and a CD-ROM drive connected to the Secondary IDE
> controller with the DVD drive jumpered as the master and the CD-ROM
> drive as the slave.  The system also has a connected 3.5" floppy drive.
> There is currently nothing connected to the Tertiary IDE controller.
>
> The BIOS and Windows XP both see all the drives, and I can use all the
> drives without problems.  However, now I have a need to configure both
> the DVD and CD-ROM drives in the boot sequence, but I can only get one
> of them at a time to show up in the boot sequence setting in the BIOS.
> I can make it the DVD *or* the CD-ROM, but not both at the same time.
>
> I've tried putting the DVD and CD-ROM drives on different controllers
> and changing the jumper settings accordingly, but none of the
> combinations I've tried have worked.  The only combination that I have
> not tried is putting the DVD drive on the same cable as the primary hard
> drive, and the CD-ROM drive on the same cable as the secondary hard
> drive, or vice versa (I've heard that can slow down hard drive
> operation).  What I would like is a boot order like the following:
>
>    DVD drive
>    CD-ROM drive
>    Hard drive
>    Floppy drive
>
> How can I connect and jumper the drives in the system to get that boot
> order?
>
> Thanks for any help that you can offer.
>
> --Tom

This might be limitation of the bios, they do not support always all
boot orders. Why do you need extra cdrom for booting ? the dvd drive
can boot from cd perfectly well.

ismo
0
Ismo
11/17/2009 12:36:26 PM
In article <4b028446$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>,
no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk says...

> While I am pondering your question, let me ask one.
>
> Why do you want both the DVD drive an the CD drive to be capable of booting
> the PC?  Invariably, a bootable disc would only be inserted in one drive and
> not both.  Why can't you just put the bootable disc in whichever drive you
> configure as bootable?
>
> It may be a limitation of your BIOS that you can only have one bootable
> optical drive.

Ordinarily, I would put only the DVD drive in the boot sequence.
However, I currently find myself in a situation where I want to wipe the
drive and install Windows 7.  I have a bootable CD for wiping the drive,
but that disk is not recognized by the DVD drive for some reason.  It
works fine in the CD-ROM drive.  I also have a DVD containing Windows 7
that I will need to boot from once the drive has been wiped.

I can do this by manually changing the cabling and jumpers between the
wipe of the drive and the installation of Windows 7, but it just seems
like I should be able to make it work better than that.

I have considered that it might be a limitation of the BIOS.
Unfortunately, there are no updates to the BIOS listed on the Dell site,
so if it is a BIOS limitation then I guess that I'm stuck with it.  I've
also considered that it might be some quirk of the drives themselves.  I
think that's a stretch, but it wouldn't be the oddest thing I've ever
seen from a hardware device.

--Tom
0
Thomas
11/18/2009 2:41:57 AM
In article <O5IaVK4ZKHA.4920@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
Ismo.Salonen@codeit.fi says...

> This might be limitation of the bios, they do not support always all
> boot orders. Why do you need extra cdrom for booting ? the dvd drive
> can boot from cd perfectly well.
>
> ismo

See my reply to M.I.5. for details.

For some reason the DVD drive will not recognize the bootable CD that I
plan to use for wiping the drive.  I'm not sure why.  The disk works
fine in the CD drive.  I suppose that I could burn a DVD copy of the
disk, but that just seems like a waste of a disk.

--Tom
0
Thomas
11/18/2009 2:46:44 AM
Thomas M. wrote:
> In article <O5IaVK4ZKHA.4920@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> Ismo.Salonen@codeit.fi says...
>
>> This might be limitation of the bios, they do not support always all
>> boot orders. Why do you need extra cdrom for booting ? the dvd drive
>> can boot from cd perfectly well.
>>
>> ismo
>
> See my reply to M.I.5. for details.
>
> For some reason the DVD drive will not recognize the bootable CD that I
> plan to use for wiping the drive.  I'm not sure why.  The disk works
> fine in the CD drive.  I suppose that I could burn a DVD copy of the
> disk, but that just seems like a waste of a disk.
>
> --Tom

My BIOS supports a "popup boot" function key. I press F10
and all the bootable devices appear in a list in place of the
BIOS screen. I select the device I want to boot from, and
booting begins. Unfortunately, not all brands of BIOS
support that feature. I checked the manual for your computer,
and did not see that option. The function key used, isn't even
a constant, and varies from one design to the next. Just like
some of my machines use <Del> to enter the BIOS, while others
use <F2>.

(Example of a popup boot menu at the BIOS level...)

http://docs.sun.com/source/820-6772/images/7-2-Boot-Device-Network-Menu.gif

Using that key, means I don't have to enter the BIOS, and change
the boot order in there.

Many BIOS contain a basic boot order (Floppy, CDROM, HDD), and
at each level, the list of drives can be ordered. So if you had
two optical drives, you could select one or the other to be the
top-most priority optical drive. Using such menus, on my machine,
I would not have to re-cable any drives, to get the desired boot
order. Either entering the BIOS, and editing the lists in there will
achieve the desired effect. Or, for temporary boot situations,
I can use the popup key instead. A change made with the popup key,
is not saved.

    Paul
0
Paul
11/18/2009 3:08:44 AM
> In article <O5IaVK4ZKHA.4920@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> Ismo.Salonen@codeit.fi says...
>
>> This might be limitation of the bios, they do not support always all
>> boot orders. Why do you need extra cdrom for booting ? the dvd drive
>> can boot from cd perfectly well.
>>
>> ismo
>
> See my reply to M.I.5. for details.
>
> For some reason the DVD drive will not recognize the bootable CD that I
> plan to use for wiping the drive.  I'm not sure why.  The disk works
> fine in the CD drive.  I suppose that I could burn a DVD copy of the
> disk, but that just seems like a waste of a disk.
>
> --Tom

If this is a CD you created, you didn't use a CD-RW, did you? Some DVD combo
drives have a problem reading them.

SC Tom

0
SC
11/18/2009 4:00:45 AM
> In article <4b028446$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>,
> no.one@no.where.NO_SPAM.co.uk says...
>
>> While I am pondering your question, let me ask one.
>>
>> Why do you want both the DVD drive an the CD drive to be capable of
>> booting
>> the PC?  Invariably, a bootable disc would only be inserted in one drive
>> and
>> not both.  Why can't you just put the bootable disc in whichever drive
>> you
>> configure as bootable?
>>
>> It may be a limitation of your BIOS that you can only have one bootable
>> optical drive.
>
> Ordinarily, I would put only the DVD drive in the boot sequence.
> However, I currently find myself in a situation where I want to wipe the
> drive and install Windows 7.  I have a bootable CD for wiping the drive,
> but that disk is not recognized by the DVD drive for some reason.  It
> works fine in the CD-ROM drive.  I also have a DVD containing Windows 7
> that I will need to boot from once the drive has been wiped.
>
> I can do this by manually changing the cabling and jumpers between the
> wipe of the drive and the installation of Windows 7, but it just seems
> like I should be able to make it work better than that.
>
> I have considered that it might be a limitation of the BIOS.
> Unfortunately, there are no updates to the BIOS listed on the Dell site,
> so if it is a BIOS limitation then I guess that I'm stuck with it.  I've
> also considered that it might be some quirk of the drives themselves.  I
> think that's a stretch, but it wouldn't be the oddest thing I've ever
> seen from a hardware device.

Whilst I haven't used a Windows 7 upgrade disc myself, if they are like
other Windows discs it sould offer you the choice of upgrading the current
OS or performing a fresh install wiping the disc in the process.

"Thomas M." <ReplyToNewsgroup@Please.com> wrote in message
> In article <O5IaVK4ZKHA.4920@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>,
> Ismo.Salonen@codeit.fi says...
>
>> This might be limitation of the bios, they do not support always all
>> boot orders. Why do you need extra cdrom for booting ? the dvd drive
>> can boot from cd perfectly well.
>>
>> ismo
>
> See my reply to M.I.5. for details.
>
> For some reason the DVD drive will not recognize the bootable CD that I
> plan to use for wiping the drive.  I'm not sure why.  The disk works
> fine in the CD drive.  I suppose that I could burn a DVD copy of the
> disk, but that just seems like a waste of a disk.

DVD-RW?  You can then reuse the disc.

> Whilst I haven't used a Windows 7 upgrade disc myself, if they are like
> other Windows discs it sould offer you the choice of upgrading the current
> OS or performing a fresh install wiping the disc in the process.

My CD contained a wipe utility that I had never used and wanted to try.

It turns out that after trying a bunch of different settings, I put
everything back the way it was originally and the DVD drive read the CD
without problems.  I had previously cleaned the CD and the drive because
I've had dirty disks and drive lenses put a stopper in things before, so I'm
not sure why it didn't work the first time and did work the second time.
But suffice it to say, the problem is solved.

--Tom

0
Thomas
11/24/2009 12:54:05 AM
> This might be limitation of the bios, they do not support always all boot
> orders. Why do you need extra cdrom for booting ? the dvd drive can boot
> from cd perfectly well.
>
> ismo

I had a drive wiping utility on the CD that I wanted to try out, but I
couldn't get the DVD drive to read the CD, but the CD drive would read it
just fine.  I tried cleaning both the CD disk and the DVD drive, and when
that didn't work I thought about putting both in the boot order.  That way,
I could use the utility on the CD to wipe the drive, and then use the DVD to
install Windows 7.  As it turns out, I was finally able to get the DVD to
read the CD, so I was able to do the whole thing with just the DVD drive.

--Tom

0
Thomas
11/24/2009 1:03:07 AM
>> For some reason the DVD drive will not recognize the bootable CD that I
>> plan to use for wiping the drive.  I'm not sure why.  The disk works
>> fine in the CD drive.  I suppose that I could burn a DVD copy of the
>> disk, but that just seems like a waste of a disk.
>>
>> --Tom
>
> If this is a CD you created, you didn't use a CD-RW, did you? Some DVD
> combo drives have a problem reading them.
>
> SC Tom

I don't have the disk in front of me, but I think it actually is a CD-RW.
But it's a moot point because I was finally able to get the DVD drive to
read the CD, so problem solved.

--Tom

0
Thomas

Cannot Connect for Download
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to connect to Microsoft for the latest Office 2008 download (I think it is 12.1.2) and every time I either use the AutoUpdate, or try to connect directly via the Mactopia site, I get a message that the url cannot be found, or the server is busy (this has gone of for 4 days now). The download DID work for my Power PC Mac update; what is wrong? re cannot connect for dowload me too, same server connection problem with all microsoft updates via microsoft download centre. Experiencing same error with flip for m...

POP3 not allowing connections
I'm having a problem connecting to my Exchange server to download messages via POP3. MANPI, IMAP, HTTTP, RPC/HTTP all work fine. When connecting via Outlook Express I get the message: ----------- Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '10.1.1.2', Protocol: POP3, Port: 111, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F ----------- I have verified that POP3 is running, and is set for use Any Available IP. I can telnet to ...

Connecting to Office OWA from Home SBS 2003 network
Hello All, Firstly, apologies for cross posting...I couldnt find a specific OWA newsgroup... Office network: SBS2000, Exchange2000, ISA2000 Home network: SBS2003, Exchange2003, ISA2000 - Workstation WinXP, Office 2003 Problem: Previously I had a SBS2000 network at home and WinXP with OfficeXP workstation and was able to successfully connect to my Office OWA, so the Office setup is fine. I can still access it via a Laptop dialup, so that side is all ok (I assume!). Since building my Home SBS2003 network and rebuilding my workstation I have been unable to connect to the Office OWA. I keep g...

Getting error 'The underlying connection was closed: The server committed an HTTP protocol violation'
Hi all, I am having application where i am downloading xml content using webrequest. my code is as below HttpWebRequest lWebRequest = (HttpWebRequest) WebRequest.Create(URL); HttpWebResponse lWebResponse = (HttpWebResponse) lWebRequest.GetResponse(); StreamReader lResponseStream = new StreamReader(lWebResponse.GetResponseStream(),enc); Data = lResponseStream.ReadToEnd(); lWebRequest = null; lWebResponse.Close(); IResponseStream.Close(); Here i am getting rss feeds using webrequest. Then i am loding rss that is data using xmldocument.load. when i am trying to change node of rss using ...

Local Area Connection : Access is denied.
I have Win-2000 Advanced Server running on a server box and somehow I have managed to get it all up and running. (ONCE) I have 3-workstation boxes (1 XP-Pro and 2-Win-2000) connected to the Server on the second network card and the first network card is connected to the Internet and sharing the Internet with the rest of the network..... NOW - all of the workstation Local Area Network connections are set-up the same (obtain ip address automatically) - - - WHY will one of the Win-2000 boxes connect fine while the other Win-2000 box and the XP-Pro box both now get an ERROR when trying to...

Impossible to connect onto Project Server
Hello, I re-installed Project Server 2007 SP2 + August CU on a server of my network. It works fine when I'm working on the server itself, but I cannot connect from another PC of the network. On the previous installs on the same network, I did not have any problem. What could be the cause of this connection issue? Thanks for help This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000402010701000201040700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Do you get any kind of error message when trying to connect? Did...

Need to retrive contacts from external Maxtor drive
I had to restore my computer but had a back up on Maxtor extrnal drive. I now realize I have lost a few contacts from my Outlook 2003 account. Is there any way of retrieving them from my back up? I have searched for .pst but do not find any separate files. Thanks. "Terri" <terri@mylanusa.com> wrote in message news:%23wf8hhNxHHA.4392@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I had to restore my computer but had a back up on Maxtor extrnal drive. I >now realize I have lost a few contacts from my Outlook 2003 account. Is >there any way of retrieving them from my back up? I have ...

How can I disable connectivity to a windows server for 60 seconds? In linux this is done with: ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 60 ; ifconfig eth0 up
How can I disable connectivity to a windows server for 60 seconds? In linux this is done with: ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 60 ; ifconfig eth0 up On 09/04/2010 02:23, DR wrote: > How can I disable connectivity to a windows server for 60 seconds? > > In linux this is done with: ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 60 ; ifconfig > eth0 up Use Netsh: set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=DISABLED set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=ENABLED As for the 60-second pause in between, as far as I know there's no sleep command ...

New PC old hard drive w/ Outlook 98
My girlfriend has a new machine, the old one died. I would like to help her get her old e-mails and various outlook settings to the new machine. I got the address book, she was using the Windows book. But I am having a little problem with the rest. I would guess she was using Outlook 98 or OE. I have the old drive data copied over to the new drive. Anyone want to suggest a plan? -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math If she was using the Windows Address Book, she was not using Outlook. Outlook and OE are completely different programs. You need to at leas...

Connection problems
I receive this msg when trying to update my accts. "money was unable to establish a secure connection to the server due to a problem witht he security components on your machine." It goes on to say about not having the latest version of strong encryption. I haven't ever received this before. Everything is up-to-date on the computer, i'm running windows XP with IE6 & MM 2004. Any help would be great cause can't be having the hubby upset about the checking account!! :O} -- Tami Try: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323898 -Mark "...

How to disconnect internet connection using batch file?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to write a batch file to disconnect the internet connection? I am using boardband modem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57C6B1DC-E696-400D-A209-9701DFC8BC2D@microsoft.com... > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to write a batch file to > disconnect > the internet connection? I am using boardband modem. > Thanks in advance for any suggestions > Eric You can use devcon.exe (http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd...

laying out iscsi drives for SQL
Is there a best practice for laying out a disk structure on a Windows Target server for an SQL server initiator's drives? Point being, when configuring the drives on the iSCSI Host, you format them as the VHD, then should you format the drives the same way as on the initiator, in this case an 2008 SQL server? We have formatted the drives on the iSCSI host with default settings, and then on the initiator, our SQL server, we format the drives with a 64K allocation size. We are trying to determine the optimal size of formatting the disks. Should both servers’ drives be formatt...

Linking/connecting nine separate worksheets of a workbook
Is there a way, after formatting nine separate sheets in a work book like sheet 1, sheet 2, sheet 3, etc., that I could connect or link these (I hope I am using the right words), so that if I change say the header on one sheet, the same change is automatically made on the other sheets, that the page numbering is automatic, that the column cells (for different vendor names that are set up say on the first sheet are repeated on the other sheets), like in a bid tabulation. The only difference would be the actual technical data filled-in on each sheet, which obviously would be unique for th...

Please Help!!! Error Connecting POS to MS Office Accounting
I have just installed MS POS 2.0 on my machine which will serve as my register. I have MS Office Accounting 2007 installed on another computer. I am now trying to integrate the two together and am receiving the error message "Could Not Connect To Office Accounting 2007". I have set Accounting up for multi-user and I have run the Office Accounting Integration on the Office Accounting computer. I've set the password (and double-checked it). I can browse to the file in POS. POS properly displays the computer name and the company name. I click 'Next' and get the prompt...

ADODB.Connection to Teradata Timesout
Hi All, I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a ADODB.Connection. The queries run directly unsing Teradata in about 3 Min. I can't keep the ADODB connection from timing out before three minutes. The error message is: "[NCR][ODBC Teradata Driver] Query Timeout Expired" I guess that I don't understand the ODBC reference on a ADODB.Connection. Anyway: I have other quicker queries that run fine. How do I keep from timing out? Thanks Ross Ross wrote: > Hi All, > > I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a >...

How to create shapes and connections by importing excel-file
I have an excel file as: Object-A Object-B connection-1 Object-A Object-C connection-2 Object-B Object-D connection-3 I wish to import it to visio 2003 and let it create shapes for those "Object-A",..., "Object-D" and link them together by drawing lines (with those "connection-1",.."Connection-3" names). How to do it in visio 2003? Regards Andy Actually what I try to you is something like what this article is about. But it shows how to do it in the old visio versions that could open *.txt and *.csv files and those f...

Connection error on Document Load
I am calling XmlDocument.Load with a url string, but get the message "The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server." When I put the exact same URL in IE, the xml file comes up just fine. Also, we only get this error when running from some machines, not all. Does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks. I was getting the same kind of error using XmlTextReader with a url string. Check out the following: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888527 and look at the section on Undocumented bugs in the .NET Class Library (NCL). Also, google the term: useU...

Connecting with financial institution
Is there a way to add a financial institution to the list of those to which Money 2007 can connect for account updates? I have a WAMU credit card account, the website for which is WAMUCards.com. There are two WAMU's listed in Money, Washington Mutual Bank and Washington Mutual Commercial Banking -- but neither of those two is the right one for the credit card business. The WAMUCards site is able to send update data to Money -- but I want to set up the process by which I can request an update through Money. Thanks, Randy Harriman -- Randy in San Miguel (or Austin) In microsoft....

Internet Connection 03-03-10
Computer connects to the internet via comcast modem. Comcast doctor app shows a connection. When I try to connect using a desktop icon, a screen opens (like it normally would when connecting to a website). Bottom message line says website found, attempting to connect; but the address line is blank. Type in adress, same results. Strange things seen: once or twice I was able to access the Google website. After accessing, I could go no further. Same scenario. Also no access to any MS website. I would receive updates, but one keeps trying to reload, error msg, and again. A...

Outlook Connection Unavailable
When I try an add my Exchange server to Outlook 2007 I get (under any user on this particular machine). The connection to Microsoft Exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action. I have edited the hosts file I can ping my server fine Many many others with 2003 and 2007 Outlook work fine I have deleted the .ost files in local settings I have deleted the profile in the Control Panel with the Mail Icon, created a separt POP3 and then went back to add an Exchange box. I have deleted the profile several times and tried to create a new profile several times...

How to make MSO close the imap connection after checking mail?
Hi, My server does not allow "idle" connections, and therefore the connection to Microsoft Outlook is closed after a while. I then get a error-message from MSO. How can I make Microsoft Outlook close the connection itself after checking mail? (and thereby I will not get that error?) Regards, �ystein Larsen ...

Outlook Connection
What would cause Outlook 2007 to want to connect to "remote.domain.com" while still connected to the exchange server on the LAN. It appears to be looking for a proxy to complete Outlook over HTTP but this is a workstation that is on a SBS 2008 Lan and shouldn't be looking for credentials to access the server. If you cancel, the connection is made, but if you try to authenicate it fails and brings you back to the log in prompt. Any thoughts? What address does autodiscover use? It sounds like DNS is sending it to the internet address. Proxy server could be doing i...

Has the service pack and Moble connectivity update been released?
Has the service pack and Mobile connectivity update been released? There was talk at the last Microsoft seminar I attended back in June that there would be some patches and feature updates for CRM released this summer. Have they been released yet? Bill Walter yes they have been released. Go to support.microsoft.com then downloads and seach on microsoft crm. the mobile addon has been released as well as updates for Windows XP SP2 -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Bill Walter" <wqwalter@hotmai...

Sales for Outlook through VPN connection
Everyone in the company that is in sales and that do not have an office are having no luck running CRM Sales for Outlook through a VPN connection. Upon learning about this (Wednesday) I tried for 5 hours to get mine to work at home with no luck. Everyone has the same result: it makes Outlook crash. Is there something we need to do to tweek it a little bit so that we can use all the functionality? Please advise. make sure you have used the performance updates for the outlook client. Beyond that its a performance issue. The first time you go offline in the sfo client you are suppos...

connecting to the RMS database
Hello all! I have a noobie question. We are quoting a job for a company that currenlty has two stores, each with its own RMS. They want us to create a couple of things. Number one: A single tool that will submit information to both a RMS database and an access database. I was thinking I would write a standalone app to connect the two, that way removing any possible race conditions (duplicate info). Is the RMS database ODBC compliant? I think I have seen that it is, how easy is this to do? Number two: They have a web site that they want to have e-commerce functionality. That means tha...