Can't read Status of Network Connection

Start | Network connections.
Select the nic card.
Right click, select Status, and nothing happens.

The nic is working OK, I can Disable it, enable it, repair it, but I
can't read the Status of it.

I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling it in device manager.

Any ideas how to fix it so I can read the status?
0
cornedbeef007
4/20/2010 9:52:02 AM
windowsxp.hardware 404 articles. 0 followers. Follow

cornedbeef007-groups@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> Start | Network connections.
> Select the nic card.
> Right click, select Status, and nothing happens.
>
> The nic is working OK, I can Disable it, enable it, repair it, but I
> can't read the Status of it.
>
> I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling it in device manager.
>
> Any ideas how to fix it so I can read the status?

You uninstalled/installed it - but did you do so with the latest driver from
the manufacturer of sais device?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
4/21/2010 12:30:39 AM
On Apr 21, 10:30=A0am, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> cornedbeef007-gro...@yahoo.com.au wrote:
> > Start | Network connections.
> > Select the nic card.
> > Right click, select Status, and nothing happens.
>
> > The nic is working OK, I can Disable it, enable it, repair it, but I
> > can't read the Status of it.
>
> > I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling it in device manager.
>
> > Any ideas how to fix it so I can read the status?
>
> You uninstalled/installed it - but did you do so with the latest driver f=
rom
> the manufacturer of sais device?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> =A0 =A0 =A0MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Wayhttp://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-que=
stions.html

It's an onboard nic, and it uses the driver loaded from the
motherboard's driver cdrom.
Should I load the motherboard's drivers again? Will it even load
anything new with it being the same as what is already there, even
though the existing might be corrupt?
How can I force it to use the "new" copy of the driver?

It used to work months(?) ago, but I only noticed this problem the
other day.
It's not a problem, other than it 'should' work, but doesn't.
0
cornedbeef007

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You uninstalled/installed it - but did you do so with the latest
> driver from the manufacturer of sais device?

cornedbeef007-groups wrote:
> It's an onboard nic, and it uses the driver loaded from the
> motherboard's driver cdrom.
> Should I load the motherboard's drivers again? Will it even load
> anything new with it being the same as what is already there, even
> though the existing might be corrupt?
> How can I force it to use the "new" copy of the driver?
>
> It used to work months(?) ago, but I only noticed this problem the
> other day.
> It's not a problem, other than it 'should' work, but doesn't.

1) Doesn't matter if it is an on-board NIC - it is still someone's chip and
only in a about half the cases is it actually the same as the motherboard.
Intel, Broadcom are common chipsets to be integrated into others mainboards.
What is it under the Device Manager?

2) Sometimes a patch to fix a hole in Windows/other OS can close something a
driver was taking advantage of (knowingly or unknowingly) and a new driver
might be needed - thus you should always check the manufacturer's site for
the latest driver if you start having trouble.  Try the mainboard
manufacturer's web site first - follow that up by checking the chipset of
the NIC's manufacturer's web page for the model of the chipset it showed in
(1).

3) When was the last time you scanned for malware?

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan with the following
(freeware version):

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

You may find nothing, you may find only cookies, you may think it is a
waste of time - but if you do all this and report back here with what you
do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
problem resolved.

Reboot and logon as administrative user.

Your "I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling it in device manager" without
searching for a newer version of the driver reminds me of the quote,
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting
different results."  *grin*

One thing that could have happened - a driver update accepted from Microsoft
(who had nothing to do with the manufacture or current support of your NIC.)

Another things - things can and do go bad over time - could be that
component is doing just that.  Network components can get surges just like
electrical components can. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
4/21/2010 1:20:17 AM
On Apr 21, 11:20=A0am, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> do/don't find as you are doing all of it - you are adding more pieces to
> the puzzle and the entire picture just may become clearer and your
> problem resolved.
>
> Reboot and logon as administrative user.
>
> Your "I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling it in device manager" with=
out
> searching for a newer version of the driver reminds me of the quote,
> "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting
> different results." =A0*grin*
>
> One thing that could have happened - a driver update accepted from Micros=
oft
> (who had nothing to do with the manufacture or current support of your NI=
C.)

> Another things - things can and do go bad over time - could be that
> component is doing just that. =A0Network components can get surges just l=

stions.html- Hide quoted text -

The motherboard manufacturers website has the same version of nic
driver as the one I have loaded.

So, I replaced the ones on the sytem with fresh copies from the cd.
Not fixed.
I "installed" the driver again, and it offered to "Repair" the
installation. Not fixed.

I made a new user, logged off, and logged on as the new user. The new
user could read the nic status OK. !?!?!?

I logged off, and logged back on as my original, broken user. I made
the nic display in the system tray. I could right click select
"Status" and the status dialog showed. Curiouser and curiouser!
It looked like an Explorer display fault. So I restored defaults in
the Explorer Tools, Folder Options,View tab.
Now I can read the status from Control Panel, Network Connections,
nic, right click Status!

Hooray.
0
cornedbeef007

Excel connectivity with Oracle OLAP
Hi guys Bit of a long shot but has anyone tried to connect from Excel to Oracle9i OLAP and manipulated the data using OLAP DML commands? Many thanks in advance for any info on this issue Cheers Ciaran Ciaran, This link might be of use for an ADO connection http://www.able-consulting.com/MDAC/ADO/Connection/OLEDB_Providers.htm#OLEDBProviderForOLAPServices -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ciaran" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54d901c3e5...

Instant Send\Recieve over the network
I am looking for a way to set the instant send and recieve over the network. So that anyone in house that sends an e-mail will get it automatically. The e-mail coming from out of the office will still come in at the regular 5 minute or so interval. I knwo this is possible I jsut don't know how. willie <williamr@assoc-eng.com> wrote: > I am looking for a way to set the instant send and recieve over the > network. So that anyone in house that sends an e-mail will get it > automatically. The e-mail coming from out of the office will still > come in at the regular 5 mi...

AOL refusing connections from our Exchange Server
I just switched our Internet connection from a SBC ADSL Connection to an AT&T (same company now) T1 connection. Since the change AOL has been blocking connections "from" our Exchange Server. The Public IP Address that forwards to our internal Exchange Server is the registered MX Record for our domain, and I've checked ordb.org for open relays. I've also sent an eamil to the administrative contact registered with AOL, but got no response (not that I really expected one). Any ideas how to get this resolved? Perhaps I won't get email from AOL anymore :) -- P...

Network Path/Excel Open Dialog Problem
Greetings. I am using Excel's open dialog to locate a file that needs to be imported. The only way I have found to set the default directory for this dialog (so it is in the directory I want when the dialog opens) is to change the current directory to the desired directory, open the dialog and locate the file and then put the current directory back to the orignal directory when the dialog closes. Too much directory hopping, if you ask me... Is there an easier way to do this? Hi but this is the way how you have to do it :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Nny...

Why Do Shortcuts Change to Network Addresses?
This has been happening as long as I've used XP pro. Suddenly, for reasons I've never figured out, some of my desktop shortcuts to folders suddenly change from local addresses to network addresses. For example: C:\Documents and Settings will change to \\JimsComputer\c\Documents and Settings. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can stop it. jim jim evans wrote: > This has been happening as long as I've used XP pro. Suddenly, for > reasons I've never figured out, some of my desktop shortcuts to > folders suddenly change from local addre...

Office 2007 Connection to SBS 2003 via PPTP
We have an SBS 2003 server. We have a number of PCs running Office 2007. One of them is a notebook. When the notebook is in the office, Outlook connects to the server as expected. When we take the notebook out of the office and attempt to connect Outlook to the server thru PPTP, Outlook reports "Trying to connect to Microsoft Exchange" and never gets any futher. No timeouts. No failures. No nothing. Any ideas on how to solve this issue? Configure Outlook to connect over the internet using https/rpc. If you run the connect to the internet wizard and enable this it ...

Users can't access CRM via a VPN connection
Hi -- we're trying to set it up so our remote users can VPN into the office and use CRM via their Outlook client. We have CRM 3.0 and we're using a Check Point firewall. The CRM Outlook client works great when they're in the office but when they try during a VPN session they get the infamous error: "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server. The server might be unavailabe..." Outlook connects to the Exchange server as it should -- but for some reason CRM won't work. I've already looked through the KB article 910090 and none of tha...

"The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is uinavailable".
When trying to open Outlook I'm getting a message that says "The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is uinavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this transaction." What does this mean and what do I do?? "=?Utf-8?B?a2V2aW4=?=" <kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:78BB4720-5BCC-4F47-95EF-469B8443D9D7@microsoft.com: > When trying to open Outlook I'm getting a message that says "The > connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is uinavailable. Outlook > must be online or connected to complete this transa...

Unable to Overwrite Existing Network File
I have been searching in vain for a solution to this problem for quite some time. What happens is that even when running a simple MFC program (i.e. created from the Wizard & run), I cannot overwrite an existing network file. I can create new files on the network without a problem. Also, no other programs installed on my machine have this problem (notpad, Word, etc.). I have checked my network permissions and I have every permission available on the target directory with the exception of "Full Control", "Change Permissions", and "Take Ownership". Does anyo...

how about implement network bandwidth shaping for win7?
I wanna implement a traffic shaper for win7 to limit some application's downloading speed.If I write a ndis intermediate driver and throttle the receiving speed from the IM driver, the IM driver should put the application's rx frames into a queue to limit its receiving speed, that will use out the miniport NIC driver's rx buffer so that the NIC will send pause frame to the partner. Then all other application's receiving performance will decline too. This is not what I expect. It seems that Winsock Kernel and Windows Filtering Platform can't be used to shape traffic, ...

connecting an unlinked story
I have a story with a broken link on page 9 and a new link from page 10 on. I want to link page 9 to page 10 to keep continuity. However, the only thing I'm allowed to link to is a blank page. Page 10 has data. If I insert a blank page after page 9 as the new page 10 and link 9& new page 10, I still can't link new page 10 to page 11 (which was old page 10) because it contains data and this program won't let you link to a page that contains data. If I try to cut the data out of page 11, the rest of the overflows into page 11, keeping if from being blank and accepting the ...

can you get read reciepts from clients other than Outlook?
I have used read receipts for inter office mail where everyone uses Outlook 2000 and Exchange 2000. Works nice. However, what if I want a read receipt from an email I sent to: 1) a web based account like hotmail or yahoo? 2) other email clients like Outlook Express or Eudora? can I? How does that work? any info is appreciated. Thanks! djc <noone@nowhere.com> wrote: > However, what if I want a > read receipt from an email I sent to: > 1) a web based account like hotmail or yahoo? I don't recall any settings in Yahoo! or Hotmail that honor receipts. > 2) other email ...

Money won't connect to my bank since October 2006
I bought MS Money back in Sept 2006. Just one money later it stopped connecting to my bank b/c of some security changes Key Bank put through. Since then, Money has basically been a glorified check writing program for my small biz. I download the OFX files (or whatever they're called) from my bank's website and I back-date it to when I opened my biz account. Even so, Money ALWAYS shows my balance as being the red somehow, even when my bank has something very different to say. I'm no accountant and my problem-solving patience isn't infinite so Money's only use t...

Office 2007 Delivery and Read Email Notisfication
When the sender has set up in their option to have the Delivery and Read notification check and send the email, why isn't both notifications being return to the sender after sending it to the recipient? The email address is correct because the recipient has acknowledge they have the email verbally. As well I know the option for these notifications is set up correctly because I get the delivery report and read report from other recipients. Some I get it from and some I don't. Is there a way I would know for sure if the recipient did receive without asking always. -- ...

Authentification Error when Laptop is NOT connected to the Network
Hi A customer of us has the MS CRM 3.0 Laptopclient. Since some day's he has a authentification error when he starts outlook with the laptopclient. The error raises only if the user is NOT connected to the network. If the User is connected to the Network there is no problem. First I thought that it could be a passwordchange - but there was no change.... Some ideas how we could resolve the problem? Thank's Michel Can you check error log, if password is not problem, you have to repair the client. Also check update rollup2 on server. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professio...

Reading file properties
I've got an install program that I packaged with PackageForTheWeb program. If you go to the properties of the file you have different tabs available showing you information (file versions, company name, etc) that was set during the creation of the package file. Is there a C++ or C api function to access any of this information? Thanks Ray >I've got an install program that I packaged with PackageForTheWeb program. >If you go to the properties of the file you have different tabs available >showing you information (file versions, company name, etc) that was set >d...

To clone a Network Adapter record (WinXP+)
Hi. I have an Ethernet network adapter on my computer and it is present in the network connection list as the "Local Area Connection". What I want is to "clone" this INetConnection (and all of it's configuration components) so I could use independent "network connections", with independent setting sets, but referring to same physical device. Unfortunately INetConnection::Duplicate (http:// msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365096(v=VS.85).aspx) returns E_NOTIMPL for the connection I have (I believe it's not implemented for everything except RAS...

Free Psychic Reading Answer
http://www.destle.com/Mygeey -- You can gain insight into hidden factors of a problem, ideas about how to deal with your predicament, and learn that you don't have to remain "stuck" wherever you are. ...

How to connect two domains?
Hi everyone, I'd like to ask how to connect two domains in two different subnetworks. Main AD is in site1 with subnetwork 10.0.x.x Site2 has 10.1.x.x They are already rerouted so the users can access resources on the other network. With this new network I'd like to have central management so to either create a forest trust or join site2AD into site1 domain. I did fair bit of research and even if they suggest creating a trust, it's just the initial period. Later joining it as subdomain is recommended. What I'm afraid of is amount of work that would have to ...

there was a problem connecting to the database engine.
I have winXp with small bus 2003, whenever I fire up outlook I receive "there was a problem connecting to the database engine." I have tried the repair option in control panel/add remove programs but it didn't affect the problem. Thanks Dennis ...

Reading properties from closed book
I am trying to read the last date saved from closed workbooks. I downloaded the ReadPropertyFromClosedFile from Chip Pearson's site and selected the DSO OLE Document Properties Reader 2.1 reference. I do not understand the formula syntax. I thought it should be: =ReadPropertyFromClosedFile(Path \Workbookname,BuiltinDocumentProperties(number),Builtin) but it always returns #NAME? Windows 2000 & Excel 2003 ...

Exchange-Outlook Connectivity
"Am having a problem with Outlook97-MS Exchange 5.5 with SP4. When an outlook client logs in it asks for Username and password; after it accepts the same, it shows the Outlook Screen but gets hanged in a minute. Task Manager says "Outlook not responding". But if I configure the mail in Offline and Use Dial Up Networking, it does not give any problem. Whenever Outlook is configured with Connect With Network option this is happening. At the same time response to my mail server is normal which is in a different city connected with a leased line. There is no abnormal behav...

winmail.dat within network
Hello all: As I understand, winmail.dat files could be received if a person sends an email from a exchange client to another person with an internet email account (in a very small nutshell). What could be the possible cause of getting winmail.dat files from within exchange server clients. All clients are in the same network using exchange accounts and they get winmail.dat files instead of their messages. Can this have anything to do with sending messages in RTF? Please advise. FC You've basically guessed it. Essentially what causes winmail.dat is a loss of rich text formatting (RTF). ...

installing office:mac on a network
I'm running a small network and upgraded all the users to OS.X and office v.X (from OS.9 and office 98). However, in only on of the computers on the network I get an error message saying that I exceeded the number of licences although I used different license keys. Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 331935 (exactly my problem) recommends installing an update but the problem was not resolved even after the update installation. Can anyone please help, any idea will be highly appreciated. I spent too many hours trying to resolve the issue with no success. Thanks. Make sure you've applied...

Read XML using VB6 DOM 4.0 with Namespaces
Here is the XML sample <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?> <nvd xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:rec="http://www.mysite.com" xmlns:cvss="http://myschoolsite.com"> <entry id="01-2345"> <rec:last-modified>2008-09-05T17:34:06</rec:last-modified> <rec:cvss> <cvss:base_metrics> <cvss:score>5.0</cvss:score> <cvss:grade>6th</cvss:grade> </cvss:base_metric...