XP sp3: change user not allowed

Hello

first of all, I have to say that all worked fine since this morning. I
haven't changed anything, maybe it depends on one of the latest
automatic update.

Before today, when I clicked on change user (start > disconnect >
change user) and chose another user, xp would let me in the other
account. Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to
the initial screen again (the one where all account are shown): it's
like XP won't allow more than one user desktop to be open at a time.

Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of
how many programs are running under a certain account (before it would
say "x programs are running" and "y mail messages are waiting" or such
things).

Basically, XP won't let me in other accounts unless I completely
disconnect the first user.

How can I solve this?

Thanks
0
Big

Big House wrote:
> Hello
>
> first of all, I have to say that all worked fine since this morning. I
> haven't changed anything, maybe it depends on one of the latest
> automatic update.
>
> Before today, when I clicked on change user (start > disconnect >
> change user) and chose another user, xp would let me in the other
> account. Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to
> the initial screen again (the one where all account are shown): it's
> like XP won't allow more than one user desktop to be open at a time.
>
> Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of
> how many programs are running under a certain account (before it would
> say "x programs are running" and "y mail messages are waiting" or such
> things).
>
> Basically, XP won't let me in other accounts unless I completely
> disconnect the first user.
>
> How can I solve this?
>
> Thanks

Just curious, why do you need more than one account?

> Just curious, why do you need more than one account?

each employee has his own account and when they use the computer, they
load their own profile/account.

Obviously we are talking about xp professional
0
Big
11/18/2009 11:44:20 AM
"Big House" <bighouse@email.it> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> first of all, I have to say that all worked fine since this morning. I
> haven't changed anything, maybe it depends on one of the latest
> automatic update.
>
> Before today, when I clicked on change user (start > disconnect >
> change user) and chose another user, xp would let me in the other
> account. Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to
> the initial screen again (the one where all account are shown): it's
> like XP won't allow more than one user desktop to be open at a time.

Presumably you mean "Start-LOG OFF- SWITCH user"?
Please use the correct terms as otherwise we might be led to believe you
have other software installed....

Can you access this other User account first, i.e. when you first power up
the machine?

> Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of
> how many programs are running under a certain account (before it would
> say "x programs are running" and "y mail messages are waiting" or such
> things).
>
> Basically, XP won't let me in other accounts unless I completely
> disconnect the first user.

What do you mean by "disconnect"? Please use the correct term for whatever
you are doing.

0
Gordon
11/18/2009 11:48:27 AM
thanks for reply

> Presumably you mean "Start-LOG OFF- SWITCH user"?

exactly

> Can you access this other User account first, i.e. when you first power up
> the machine?

yes. I can access all users accounts, at the first power up or
anything BUT I need to disconnect any other open account to do so. If
any just switch user, xp will try to load it but it will go back to
the initial screen (where you can select the user)

> What do you mean by "disconnect"? Please use the correct term for whatever  you are doing.

disconnect = log off

Thanks

0
Big
11/18/2009 11:54:35 AM
>> Just curious, why do you need more than one account?
>
> each employee has his own account and when they use the computer, they
> load their own profile/account.
>
> Obviously we are talking about xp professional

Then if this is a work environment you shouldn't be using Fast User
Switching in the first place. If that indeed is what you ARE doing....

0
Gordon
11/18/2009 11:54:39 AM
> Presumably you mean "Start-LOG OFF- SWITCH user"?

sorry I have a non-english xp version (italian)
0
Big
11/18/2009 11:55:54 AM
let me recap

- I start the PC
- initial windows login screen pops up
- I choose any user and I log on perfectly
- start > change user
- initial windows login screen. Now I choose another user: XP will
start loading it but after a while I am again to the initial windows
login screen. It's like that, since an account is open, it won't let
me log on another account.
- still in the windows login screen: I re-log on to the first/open
account: it works
- I disconnect this user: so at this moment there are no sessions
active
- I am sent to the windows login screen: I select any account and I
can log on normally

0
Big
11/18/2009 12:00:40 PM
I need fast user switching to be enabled to be able to use Remote
desktop (which doesn't work either)

> Then if this is a work environment you shouldn't be using Fast User
> Switching in the first place. If that indeed is what you ARE doing....

0
Big
11/18/2009 12:44:35 PM
Fast user switching requires a large amount of RAM to hold the inactive
account in memory when you switch users. How much RAM do you have installed
in the computer?

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

> let me recap
>
> - I start the PC
> - initial windows login screen pops up
> - I choose any user and I log on perfectly
> - start > change user
> - initial windows login screen. Now I choose another user: XP will
> start loading it but after a while I am again to the initial windows
> login screen. It's like that, since an account is open, it won't let
> me log on another account.
> - still in the windows login screen: I re-log on to the first/open
> account: it works
> - I disconnect this user: so at this moment there are no sessions
> active
> - I am sent to the windows login screen: I select any account and I
> can log on normally

0
Richard
11/18/2009 12:51:29 PM
found the problem (yet no solution):

the terminal server is not running and if I try to run it, it will say
that it's been stopped again (like I said I have a non english version
of xp so I don't know how to precisely translate the message)

Any clue?
0
Big
11/18/2009 12:57:16 PM
the error in english is

The terminal services service on local computer started and then
stopped
0
Big
11/18/2009 1:07:48 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> Hello
>
> first of all, I have to say that all worked fine since this morning. I
> haven't changed anything, maybe it depends on one of the latest
> automatic update.
>
> Before today, when I clicked on change user (start > disconnect >
> change user) and chose another user, xp would let me in the other
> account. Now the account is loaded for a second and then I am sent to
> the initial screen again (the one where all account are shown): it's
> like XP won't allow more than one user desktop to be open at a time.
>
> Another thing that I noticed is that there is no more indication of
> how many programs are running under a certain account (before it would
> say "x programs are running" and "y mail messages are waiting" or such
> things).
>
> Basically, XP won't let me in other accounts unless I completely
> disconnect the first user.
>
> How can I solve this?
>
> Thanks

Try:

1. Disable Fast User Switching
2. Reboot
3. Re-enable Fast User Switching

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 1:57:54 PM
the terminal server now it's working but the situation about logging
to multiple account (one at the time) still doesn't work...

0
Big
11/18/2009 2:03:43 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> the terminal server now it's working but the situation about logging
> to multiple account (one at the time) still doesn't work...

Service "Fast User Switching Compatibility" is running ?

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 2:19:58 PM
yes, fast user switching compatibility is running...
0
Big
11/18/2009 2:28:10 PM
It looks like XP thinks that an open session (which is not logged on
though) counts as one user and won't allow to open other sessions.

This usually happens when using Terminal Server (one session only can
be opened) but here we are talking of local sessions that are logged
on ONE AT A TIME.

0
Big
11/18/2009 2:30:48 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> It looks like XP thinks that an open session (which is not logged on
> though) counts as one user and won't allow to open other sessions.
>
> This usually happens when using Terminal Server (one session only can
> be opened) but here we are talking of local sessions that are logged
> on ONE AT A TIME.

Is

System Key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)

set to "1" ?

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 2:39:57 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> It looks like XP thinks that an open session (which is not logged on
> though) counts as one user and won't allow to open other sessions.
>
> This usually happens when using Terminal Server (one session only can
> be opened) but here we are talking of local sessions that are logged
> on ONE AT A TIME.

Please look into system log under System AND Application, if there is an
event exactly at the time you try to switch user.
Possibly a failed load of a DLL ...

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 3:02:37 PM
> Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
> Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)
>
> set to "1" ?

yes it is set to 1

you can see the whole winlogon section of my regedit here:

http://yfrog.com/7eregeditj

thanks for your help!
0
Big
11/18/2009 3:09:55 PM
> Please look into system log under System AND Application, if there is an
> event exactly at the time you try to switch user.
> Possibly a failed load of a DLL ...

message is:

Terminal Server session creation failed. The relevant status code was
0xC0000037.

please consider I am logging on locally not remotely and still I get
that message....
0
Big
11/18/2009 3:12:41 PM
>> Please look into system log under System AND Application, if there is an
>> event exactly at the time you try to switch user.
>> Possibly a failed load of a DLL ...
>
> message is:
>
> Terminal Server session creation failed. The relevant status code was
> 0xC0000037.
>
> please consider I am logging on locally not remotely and still I get
> that message....
0xc0000037 = Status_port_disconnected.  Sometimes caused by lssas.exe not
running. (Search the internet for possible solutions.)
Jim

0
Jim
11/18/2009 4:21:13 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

>> Please look into system log under System AND Application, if there is an
>> event exactly at the time you try to switch user.
>> Possibly a failed load of a DLL ...
>
> message is:
>
> Terminal Server session creation failed. The relevant status code was
> 0xC0000037.
>
> please consider I am logging on locally not remotely and still I get
> that message....

The Terminal Server session is necessary for Fast User Switching;
look here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294737
(at the end of the article under "The following services ..."

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 5:43:20 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

>> Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
>> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
>> Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)
>>
>> set to "1" ?
>
> yes it is set to 1
>
> you can see the whole winlogon section of my regedit here:
>
> http://yfrog.com/7eregeditj
>
> thanks for your help!

The only relevant difference to my XP is the second path in Userinit
(caused by 64-Bit System ?)
"My" Userinit has only the 1st entry.

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 5:47:27 PM

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
>
>>> Value Name: AllowMultipleTSSessions
>>> Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
>>> Value Data: (0 = Disable Fast User Switching, 1= Enable)
>>>
>>> set to "1" ?
>>
>> yes it is set to 1
>>
>> you can see the whole winlogon section of my regedit here:
>>
>> http://yfrog.com/7eregeditj
>>
>> thanks for your help!
>
> The only relevant difference to my XP is the second path in Userinit
> (caused by 64-Bit System ?)
> "My" Userinit has only the 1st entry.
>
> Bernd

I eventually de-ciphered (too small a font) the name of your 2nd entry
in Userinit: sdra64.exe

After Google (search just for "sdr64") it seems to be a virus, exactly
at this place.
Look here :
http://www.virusremovalguru.com/?p=1669

and please read the responses too.

If this detection is related to your problem, I don't know.

Bernd
0
Bernd
11/18/2009 6:33:51 PM

> I eventually de-ciphered (too small a font) the name of your 2nd entry
> in Userinit: sdra64.exe
>
> After Google (search just for "sdr64") it seems to be a virus, exactly
> at this place.
> Look here :
> http://www.virusremovalguru.com/?p=1669
>
> and please read the responses too.
>
> If this detection is related to your problem, I don't know.
>
> Bernd

A good removal instruction you can find here

http://www.pctechrx.com/DisplayAllInfo.asp?bId=26

Bernd
0
Bernd

Outlook 2000 change in behavior
I don't know if anyone else has experience this but since installing critical updates I have noticed that when I double click to open email messages in my inbox the messages do not immediately open. The hour glass appears and it takes longer than before installing the critical updates for the email messages to open. I have run the detect/repair tool, and disk defrag. My operating system is windows 2000. Any advice is appreciated. Jackie Darden ...

Max clinet change to Cache mode per server
Hi, we have 2 Exchange 2003 a-p Cluster on Unisys ES7000 with 9000 mailboxes on each cluster. The Clients work with Outlook XP. We plan a Rollout of Outlook 2003 SP2 with activated Cache Mode. Our Offline Adressbook has abaout 10 MB and one Mailbox a average space of 35 MB. Now my question, how much client can rolled out parallel that the download of the mailbox content has only small impact to the Exchange Server performance ? Has anybody some experiences in this case Thank you Ingo ...

how to change the icon text
To all, What event to I do to handle when my app get iconified? I Need to set the window text for my icon differently than my app title bar text. When I run my app, the window text for the app title bar is "foo", when the user iconifies the app, I want the icon text to be "bar". How do I do that? Thanks for the help, Reza Take a look at CWnd::OnSysCommand. SC_RESTORE and SC_MINIMIZE is what you want to look for in this method. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "reza razavipour" <rrazavipour@stbernard.com> wrote in message news:uK18XkXH...

Smartlist current user id field
Hi all, Is there any table I can use that will indicate the user id of the user running the particular SmartList ? For one example, I want to build a report that only shows Orders that the current user who is running the report created. That way each person who wishes to run this report does not have to enter in the criteria their own ID each time the run it... Does that make sense ? Thanks, Chris B. If you are referring to the sales order out of the box, then this isn't possible. If this report comes from a SQL View that you've written then potentially you could. However t...

Merging mass e-mails between word and Outlook (XP)
When sending a mass e-mail from Word to Outlook, a message appears stating that 'another program is trying to automatically send e-mails' You choose 'Allow access for 10 minutes' and click OK Then, a similiar message appears for each of the e-mails being sent. You need to click Yes for each of the e- mails. I have tried adjusting security levels with no luck. Any ideas?? ...

Outlook XP and 2003
Weird Outlook 2002 and 2003 problem. If I start a message from within Outlook and attach a file it sends normally, but if I try and send by hitting the 'mail' button from within Word or Excel (filling in the pertinent info and hit send) the message just goes to the Outlook's outbox and will not go out no matter how many times I hit 'send and receive'. The same goes for files or pictures if I go to the file 1st and do a R-click send to mail. They just end up in the outbox and will not send. -- "I don't cheat to survive. I cheat to LIVE!!" - Alceryes ...

Cashiers changing prices: "access pricing" and discounts
Hi: We are a wine shop and give 10% discounts when customers purchase six bottles of wine, and 20% when they purchase 12 bottles. I've got the discounts to automatically kick in when 6 or 12 bottles are scanned into the system using mix and match. However, I've noticed we get an error about "cashier cannot change prices" when the minimum quantity for discount is entered into the system. The reason is b/c the cashier does not have the "access pricing" check box turned on in their detail setup. The problem is we don't want the cashier to have the &quo...

Unable to open Outlook XP Email
I began having problems when trying to open email with attachments in Outlook XP (running Windows XP Pro) about 3 weeks ago. When I try to open email with attachments, my PC will sometimes hang-up, requiring a reboot, even after which the email will not open (known safe source). The frequency of occurrence seems to be going up. Any help on how to fix this problem would be greatly apprecated. Thanks. Glenn Try it again with the virusscanner and virusscanner integration disabled. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Me...

Change Default When Selecting New Message From Form
Whenever I select New -> Choose Form, it defaults to "Organizational Forms Library" (which is empty). How can I make it default to "User Templates in File System"? Thanks. I've been looking for a way to do that for years, but have never found = one. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_forms --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Con...

Opening a new record form but allowing searches
I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up so that it allows for both? On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:54:06 -0800, Fallout <Fallout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but >it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow >for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up ...

TEXT TO SPEECH CHANGES
Currently my text to speech config reads ONLY LETTERS if the letters are CAPITALs(IE when it come to the word ABLE, it speaks A B L E how can I change the setting to make the system say "able" Thanks Enter this small macro: Sub Macro1() For n = 1 To 100 Cells(n, 1).Speak Next n End Sub And it should "say" whatever text you enter in A1 thru A100 -- Gary's Student "pcor" wrote: > Currently my text to speech config reads ONLY LETTERS if the letters are > CAPITALs(IE when it come to the word ABLE, it speaks A B L E > how can I change...

For a User
Is there a way of forcing a user to enter data in a cell, before they enter enter any data in any other cells or perhaps before saving ther document? Thanks Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) If Range("A1").Value = "" Then MsgBox "Workbook incomplate" Cancel = True End If End Sub 'This is workbook event code. 'To input this code, right click on the Excel icon on the worksheet '(or next to the File menu if you maximise your workbooks), 'select View Code from the menu, and paste t...

create automessages if user leaves the company
Hi I have the following problem. There is a user which temporary leaves the company and come back to an unspecified date. All mails which sent to this user are forwarded to an other user who take the taks in absence of him. In behalf of security the user is disabled, that means a rule or "out of office assistent" doesn't work to inform customers that this user come back on an unspecified date and the other take his tasks. Is there a possipility to configure an automatic out of office and keep the possipility to forward the mails to the other user in exchange 2k3 ? Thanks...

Able to change the fonts and Header in POS
It would nice to configure the font in Point of sale so it would fit into the size quickpad you use. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=e86e0f80-4b12-4bef-9222...

Change color on date field in form for re-certification
My main form has two different date fields on it. One date field needs to be re-certified every 6 months, and the other field needs to be re-certified every 12 months. I would like each of those fields to automatically change color depending on how much time as elapsed since that training. For the 6 month field, months 1-5 should be green, 1 month left should be yellow and anything expired should be red. For the 12 month field, months 1-11 should be green, 1 month left should be yellow, and anything expired should be red. Thank you in advance for your help! messingerjc wrote...

Macro to update information if date changes
using Exel 2000.. I want excel to compare dates on two seperate worksheets and if the date on the first is greater than the second to insert rows and than copy cells on the second to different cells also on the second page. ie..main sheet date is 11-05-08 compared to sheet2 date is 11-04-08...insert cells at a21:d21 and shift cells down (on sheet2) then copy cells b13:h13 to a21:b21 The description seems a bit inconsistent, but here is a shot With Worksheets("Main Sheet") If .Range("A1").Value > Worksheets("Second Sheet").Range("A1&q...

How do you change to currency in a table and add columns?
I'm trying to learn to use the new Word and can't figure out in my ribbons how to change numbers to a currency format, as well as viewing the table content to be able to quick sum columns. Help?! Use Excel which is designed for that work. -- Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP "Duprey72" <Duprey72@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADB852A4-D4AF-44FF-8F89-AC4B110D080C@microsoft.com... > I'm trying to learn to use the new Word and can't figure out in my ribbons > how to change numbers to a currency format, as well as viewing the tabl...

CRM 3 - User Transfered All Cases to Own Name
We had a user that left the company. Another user transfered all of his cases (resolved / active) to his name. He some how reassigned all the resolved and active cases in the DB to his own name. Is there a transaction table for changes to cases? Or a way that we can roll back the transfers? Unfortunately, we do not have a back up. CRM does not offer a transaction logging sollution out of the box. The SQL database does, but this has to be configured and can only rollback all changes not specific ones. A thing you can try is (using the SDK) retrieve the last activity for each case ...

Change print driver from PS level 1 to level 2
When printing in Publisher 2003 only, on and HP business inkjet 1100 I'm told that I need to set the PostScript language level to level 2 or higher. Following the instructions, I can't make the changes as directed in corrections from the error message, nor can I find any other way to change it.. You receive a Publisher cannot print this publication error message when you print as CMYK composite in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819594 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.co...

user control of distro lists
I have set up some distro lists in AD. We have all 2003 servers and exchange 2003. I want to allow multiple users (if possible) to add and remove users to and from these lists. I saw a post already detailing this but I get no security tab on the dostro lists I created. I made the lists Universal and Distribution when I set them up. What do I need to do? Thanks. you need to view "advanced features" in your aduc console... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "MikeB" <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2346AB31-9C7D-4761-8881-2D43475D68E5@microsoft....

excel '97 freezing up on xp
Is Excel '97 supposed to work with Windows XP. Ever since I've had my new computer with XP, my excel '97 is very buggy. Almost every time I make up even the simplest of spread sheets, it will print once or twice and then suddenly it will cause the computer to hang and freeze when I try to print. And of course it won't print. What is going on? Ivan Excel 97 works just fine with XP, sounds like a printer driver problem "Ivan" <mr_jerky_maker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:108tpcbrt0muj10@corp.supernews.com... : Is Excel '97 supposed to work with Wi...

How to change default cell formats
When I open a file, all negative values are shown with a - before them, whilst my colleagues, when opening the same file, the negatives are shown in brackets ie. ( ). How do I ensure that when I open the same file, my negative numbers appear in brackets This is a windows setting. Close excel Change that windows regional setting|currency tab|Negative currency format to show ($1.1) Open excel You may have to reformat: Format|Cells|number tab|Number (adjust the decimal places and comma options) Easty04 wrote: > > When I open a file, all negative values are shown with a - before t...

HOW DO I SET UP EMAIL FOR 2 USERS IN SEPERATE VIEWS
can anyone help me set up my OE so that when my husband comes on he only sees his emails and i only see mine? my goal is so he does not have to wade thru my emails as well as his and can view only his emails. Help!? A good reference site is http://www.scicable.com/identities.htm . Hope that helps. James <nikinahnah@bridge-of-love.com> wrote in message news:0d3501c4a648$c8062ac0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > can anyone help me set up my OE so that when my husband > comes on he only sees his emails and i only see mine? > my goal is so he does not have to wade thru my emails as ...

delegate with Office XP cannot see user with outlook 2000
A delegate user with OutlookXP is unable to view another person's inbox with Outlook2000. Are there any conflicts if not how could the user be able to view the inbox with outlook2000 ...

cluadmin won't allow removal of EVS
hey everyone.. got another cluster to retire. this one won't let us remove the EVS, says that one or more users are using a mailbox on the server (error c103f492). the mailboxes & pf store have been removed (were empty), i have gone through article 822931 and verified that the server is not configured to have any PF's, OAB, OAL, free/busy, org forms, rus, is not routing master, not using srs, and doesn't have any connectors. also went through article 279202 to try to find what in AD is telling the server it thinks it has a mailbox there. used ADUC, ldp, ldifde and com...