xp service pack 2 installation seems frozen

i am running Windows xp pro 32bit. I Had a virus and did a repair using xp
disc, i managed to recover all my files and programs, but my windows reverted
to service pack 1. Everytime i turn on my computer i get an update alert and
you click on it it starts updating to service pack 2.The problem is it keeps
stalling in the same spot for hours everytime.The dialog box says " creating
cabinets", and then there is no progress at all from then on.  PLEASE HELP!!

Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 directly from
Microsoft's download site to a newly created folder on your PC.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en

Note: This file is 266MB in size but will only install the
components that you need. After the download has completed,
double click on the file (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) to install.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"monjau" <monjau@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i am running Windows xp pro 32bit. I Had a virus and did a repair using xp
> disc, i managed to recover all my files and programs, but my windows
> reverted
> to service pack 1. Everytime i turn on my computer i get an update alert
> and
> you click on it it starts updating to service pack 2.The problem is it
> keeps
> stalling in the same spot for hours everytime.The dialog box says "
> creating
> cabinets", and then there is no progress at all from then on.  PLEASE
> HELP!!

0
JS
12/8/2009 2:01:02 AM
JS wrote:
> Download Windows XP Service Pack 2 directly from
> Microsoft's download site to a newly created folder on your PC.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=049c9dbe-3b8e-4f30-8245-9e368d3cdb5a&DisplayLang=en
>
> Note: This file is 266MB in size but will only install the
> components that you need. After the download has completed,
> double click on the file (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe) to install.

Just wondering if the OP should skip sp2 and go right to sp3
0
philo
12/8/2009 2:45:03 AM
  Repair option is not really a good choice in some reinstallations,it takes
 almost the same time as a clean xp install.Also,if repair doesnt "repair" as
 it should,youre only option is to perform a "clean" xp
installation.Also,repair
 by default reverts back to xps original installation in the OS,all updates
are
 removed...

"monjau" wrote:

> i am running Windows xp pro 32bit. I Had a virus and did a repair using xp
> disc, i managed to recover all my files and programs, but my windows reverted
> to service pack 1. Everytime i turn on my computer i get an update alert and
> you click on it it starts updating to service pack 2.The problem is it keeps
> stalling in the same spot for hours everytime.The dialog box says " creating
> cabinets", and then there is no progress at all from then on.  PLEASE HELP!!

Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

     cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

     5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
     http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

monjau wrote:
> i am running Windows xp pro 32bit. I Had a virus and did a repair using xp
> disc, i managed to recover all my files and programs, but my windows
> reverted to service pack 1. Everytime i turn on my computer i get an
> update
> alert and you click on it it starts updating to service pack 2.The problem
> is it keeps stalling in the same spot for hours everytime.The dialog box
> says " creating cabinets", and then there is no progress at all from then
> on.  PLEASE HELP!!

0
PA
12/8/2009 7:49:08 AM

"monjau" wrote:

> i am running Windows xp pro 32bit. I Had a virus and did a repair using xp
> disc, i managed to recover all my files and programs, but my windows reverted
> to service pack 1. Everytime i turn on my computer i get an update alert and
> you click on it it starts updating to service pack 2.The problem is it keeps
> stalling in the same spot for hours everytime.The dialog box says " creating
> cabinets", and then there is no progress at all from then on.  PLEASE HELP!!

In addition to what Andrew has said; you may still have traces of the virus
or other malware still on the machine. Run the following to make sure your
machine is clean:

http://malwarebytes.org/

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

Try downloading the SP3 iso image and burn to CD:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e

Burn the image to CD and install SP3 from the CD you just created. If it
won't install, try it again from a "clean boot" state:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

Once SP3 is in place, you should be able to get the rest of the updates.
thanks mark,
 i tried installing sp3 from a disc by i keep getting " cyclic error:
redundancy check"

"monjau" wrote:

> thanks mark,
>  i tried installing sp3 from a disc by i keep getting " cyclic error:
> redundancy check"

See the following KB article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

You may need to register the Wups2.dll file following the repair install.

> "Mark Adams" wrote:
>

> > "monjau" wrote:
> >
> > > i am running Windows xp pro 32bit. I Had a virus and did a repair using xp
> > > disc, i managed to recover all my files and programs, but my windows reverted
> > > to service pack 1. Everytime i turn on my computer i get an update alert and
> > > you click on it it starts updating to service pack 2.The problem is it keeps
> > > stalling in the same spot for hours everytime.The dialog box says " creating
> > > cabinets", and then there is no progress at all from then on.  PLEASE HELP!!
> > >

> > In addition to what Andrew has said; you may still have traces of the virus
> > or other malware still on the machine. Run the following to make sure your
> > machine is clean:
> >
> > http://malwarebytes.org/
> >
> > http://www.superantispyware.com/
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en
> >
> > Try downloading the SP3 iso image and burn to CD:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=2fcde6ce-b5fb-4488-8c50-fe22559d164e
> >
> > Burn the image to CD and install SP3 from the CD you just created. If it
> > won't install, try it again from a "clean boot" state:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
> >
> > Once SP3 is in place, you should be able to get the rest of the updates.

MAPISP32 #2
MAPISP32 has taken over - uses almost all of the CPU (97 to 99%). Can't send or receive email. Restarting and not launching OUTLOOK gives me back my computer, but no email. Using OUTLOOK 97 on an XP machine. Have checked the postings, but found nothing about this problem (I get no error messages). Also tried renaming MAPISP32.dll and then reloading OUTLOOK, no improvement. Will check back later and thanks! ...

Problems installing Office 2004
I used a trial version of Office 2004 in my MacBook until it expired. I few days ago I bought I licensed Office 2004 - Student and teacher edition and tried to install it in the MacBook. I deleted the previous version by dragging all Office folder to trash. I inserted the CD but could not install using the installer since it did not appear active, so I copied the whole Office folder to the Applications. After this I tried to open an Office application, but no one opened. I tried to remove Office using the removal tool but that also did not open. Any suggestions of what should I do? ASPer...

Beginning Inventory Balance #2
I am trying to duplicate the Average Inventory, according to KB856731, the formula is; (Beginning Inventory Balance + Summary of each months ending on hand Inventory + Current On Hand Inventory) / (number of months elapsed in the current year +2) Does anyone know what the formula is for the Beginning Inventory Balance? -- Anthony ...

Macro Security #2
Hi, I am trying to set the Macro security level to Low in Access 2003 but cannot find the option in the Tools\Macro menu. It is not even grayed out. The install is a complete install of Office 2003 and I tried a Detect and Repair without luck. Any suggestions? Thank you. Maybe a post in one of the Access newsgroups would get you an answer quicker. Clementius wrote: > > Hi, > I am trying to set the Macro security level to Low in Access 2003 but cannot > find the option in the Tools\Macro menu. It is not even grayed out. The > install is a complete install of Office 2003 ...

Unable to open Windows XP
When I try to open my Virtual PC Windows XP on my Powerbook G4 it comes up with an error that Windows could not open successfully. I try to open it in safe mode and all of the other options available and it still comes up that I am unable to open Windows. Any ideas how to fix this or what the problem is? You'll probably get faster & more thorough assistance if you post to microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc But they'll need much more specific information about VPC & OS X versions, update levels, etc. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 9/19/07 11:55 PM, in article 11...

Spaces issue not fixed in 12.2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel The previous threads have all been closed and none of them seem to have an answer. For anyone else struggling with Office not working with Spaces (and therefore having to disable Spaces to use Office 2008), here is the reply I just received from MS Office for Mac Tech Support: "The Spaces issue is still being worked on, please watch for future OS and Office updates" My guess is that as it has not been fixed in two service packs it is unlikely to change until Office 2012 (or whatever the next major release wil...

Error Messages That Seem Incorrect
I have the following two messages appearing: "Error. An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator" and "An error occurred while trying to send the e-mail. Try again." The first happens when closing activities or qualifying leads to accounts and contacts. The second when sending CRM e-mail from Outlook. In both cases the activity had actually been completed successfuly. eg customer received the e-mail, new account/contact created or activity showing in history. My users are repeating the process because of the error message and w...

Outlook 2003, Relaying denied error, Windows XP
I seem to have a problem when Outlook 2003 is first opened that it will not allow an email with an attachment to be sent. A 'Relaying denied' error message comes up. If I send an email without attachment this works OK and triggers the Norton anit virus software to check email before sent. After this the problem seems to go away i.e. I can now send attachments. Any ideas on why this error occurrs ? Is there a setup feature I've missed ? Have you set up authentication to your outgoing server ("More Settings..." on your account page, go to the "Outgoing Server&qu...

Conditional Formatting #2
Hello, I have a spreadsheet that has about 1200 rows many of which need to have conditional formatting. I had a template set of rows that I was transferring the conditional formatting from and it worked for 20 or so rows. Then in attempting to both copy/paste and drag formatting even further I noticed that the conditional formatting was not being transfered to the target cells. I have even tried doing one row of formatting at a time but it seems like it will not allow any more conditional formatting. The spreadsheet is a good size (about 2MB). I recieve no error messages about this. It simpl...

Problem with Outlook e-mail after installing Microsoft Publisher
I have not been able to send e-mails from Outlook after installing Microsoft Publisher. Any suggestions on how to remedy this sotuation? Are you getting an error? Is Outlook working okay through other programs? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Techblues" <Techblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCE2A75-8...

Unable to start processing services
HELP My user gets this after about a minute of being logged in. User is on hard line to the network off laptop, in Office 97. Had user run a command switch from Outlook 2003 rebuilt profile and reinstalled outlook. Any ideas ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

getting sql report 2005 web service to work
The error I am getting in sql reporting service 2005 is 'The selected report is not ready for viewing. The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)'. There are lots of answers on the web and I have tried alot of them including obtaining extract space. The error I am getting is: " The report is still being rendered or a report snapshot is not available. (rsReportNotReady)". I am using using windows-authentication to the datasource, and I am wondering if I am not setting up the pass-through properly on t...

Printing 2 worksheets to a 2 sided document
Is there any way to print - front to back - 2 seperate worksheets? Turn the paper over and print the second worksheet???? Maybe you can create a worksheet with a picture of both ranges on it: Insert a new worksheet Edit|copy the first range shift-Edit|Paste Picture Link (on that new worksheet) Back for the second range and shift-edit|Paste picture link (right near your first pasted picture link). (insert a nice page break, too) And by pasting a link, you can change the original range and your picture will update right away. (Keep that worksheet as long as you want and print from there???)...

Export #2
Hi, How to export only the perticular group users. Regards Mustafa What sort of information do you need? "Mohammed Mustafa" <mohammed.mustafa@kharafinational.com> wrote in message news:OwKSDO$yGHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How to export only the perticular group users. > > Regards > Mustafa > See "IMI GAL Exporter" - http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imige.htm "Mohammed Mustafa" <mohammed.mustafa@kharafinational.com> wrote in message news:OwKSDO$yGHA.3568@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > How ...

Browser Problems in Windows XP
I am having problems getting Microsoft Explorer to work in installations of Windows XP. In some installations it works just fine and in some it will begin to go to the web site and then the window closes with no error. Has anyone experienced this problem before? I can log in with all the user accounts from any windows 98 computer using the same browser version. Thanks for any help. Eric Davison wrote: > I am having problems getting Microsoft Explorer to work in > installations of Windows XP. In some installations it > works just fine and in some it will begin to go to the ...

solver and macros #2
Before you use the solver within a macro, you must establish a reference to the Solver add-in. With a Visual Basic module active, click References on the Tools menu, and then select the Solver.xla check box under Available References. If Solver.xla doesn't appear under Available References, click Browse and open Solver.xla in the \Office\Library subfolder. Cheers Nick ...

Outlook 2000 and Win XP
I have a Laptop with Windows XP Professional and Outlook 2000 SP-3. About 3-4 times a day the user cannot open the GAL. I have to delete and then reconfigure the profile. At which time the GAL works for another couple of hours. Do you know of any issues. ...

Closing registers #2
1. Is there any way too remove the closing figure when the registers are closed... I don't want my cashiers to see the closing amounts. 2. Can a group of registers be closed out on a selected machine, e.g Reg 1, reg 2, reg 3, reg 4 are all closed on reg 1. Thanks If you don't want cashiers to see closing amounts, lock them out of doing x/z reports and viewing the journal - apply this setting in SO manager - database - cashiers - properties of each cashier - uncheck these boxes. On question 2, out of the box, RMS does not allow that - each register has its own batch that must ...

Using Microsoft Map in Office XP
How can I add the add-in Microsoft Map to work in Office XP? Thank you for looking. John John MS Map not available with versions 2002 and 2003. MS Map Point is now the application used. Costs about $250.00 US. An alternate is to use MapInfo product(which was the Excel 97 and 2000 product). Very costly at minimum $595.00 US just for upgrade. http://www.mapinfo.com/location/integration But............found this tidbit on the net thanks to Debra Dalgleish. Mystery of the Missing Map Tool: If you believe Microsoft, the Excel Map tool is permanently out of action in Offi...

CRM v1.2 for MSDN?
We are a UNIVERSAL MSDN Subsciber which means we pay about $4000 a year to get the entire Microsoft Library. I have not seen CRM 1.2 in any of the updates which is very strange since I normally see them before any other subscription. Did I miss an update? I also notice on the MSDN downloads section they still only have v1.0 listed. Thanks! CRM 1.2 is only just shipping to partners etc. I would not expect it to appear on MSDN for a couple of months "MEI" <MEI@MEI.COM> wrote in message news:Of0KXo7sDHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > We are a UNIVERSAL MSDN Subsciber whic...

hyperlinks #2
When I click on a hyperlink in outlook IE opens and stays blank, but another window opens and asks me to Locate link browser. I have been closing this window, but it reappears on every link. ??????????????? It may help you http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en- us;329912&Product=out >-----Original Message----- >When I click on a hyperlink in outlook IE opens and stays >blank, but another window opens and asks me to Locate link >browser. I have been closing this window, but it reappears >on every link. ??????????????? >. > ...

Freezing Panes #2
How can I freeze two different rows in a single sheet. -- Naidu Pl don't multi-post. Check responses in .misc -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:17,000, Files:358, Subscribers:55 xdemechanik --- "Naidu" <Naidu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:967FF8C4-431D-4BAE-9903-ECCDE18157D7@microsoft.com... > How can I freeze two different rows in a single sheet. > > -- > Naidu ...

Deleting Mail #2
This problem seems to be random over our network. We are running Windows Server 2000 with Outlook 2002. Some users are getting a notification that they have mail and when they check, there is nothing in their inbox. The new mail has automatically gone to the deleted items folder. It doesn't do it with all mail for that particular user or do all the users on the network experience this problem. There are no rules set up to do this. Has anyone else have this problem. If you have a suggestion please respond to my e-mail address DKimball@puc.nh.gov Thanks I have Outlook 2002 on...

Pay commissions to 2 salespersons
Is there a way to pay commissions to two different salespersons for one line item? When I try to enter secont salesperson in "Sales Commissions Entry" window I receive a message "The commission amount may not be greater the sale amount distributed to this salesperson" Commissions in GP are calculated a little differently than what we think about. If I have two salespeople and I want to give each a 5% commission on the sale, then I need to give each of them a 10% commission on 50% of the sale. -- Jim "Pay commissions to 2 salespersons" wrote: > Is th...

Time #2
I need to be able to click on a cell and have it be populated with the current HH:MM:SS. I know ctrl+shift+; will do the job but I need it to be even more simple than that for the end users. One way: Put this in the worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab and choose View Code): Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) With Range("J1") If Not Intersect(Target, .Cells) Is Nothing Then .Value = Time .NumberFormat = "HH:MM:SS" End If End With End Sub ...