xp home sp2 repair install needs asms file

 i have a hp laptop w/xp home sp2. it has a dvd-cd combo drive & woundn't
read cd's. talked with an IT guy. he walked me thru some checks. found auto
start and disk drive ok. said prob. was in os & needed to do a repair
reinstall. inserted original hp's 'operating system cd', restarted machine,
error message came up needs 'asms file'. gave 4 chooses of paths to click on
to get file but none worked. the pop up wind stayed on & can't continue with
repair install. what is prob. & how do i fix it? can i get this file
somewhere?
thanks in advance
dave w.

  Try this link: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/311755?p=1
 I guess with a hp xp cd,you'd open recovery console (if you can get to it),
 probably type: copy  Get the cmd info from kb314058

"dave w." wrote:

>  i have a hp laptop w/xp home sp2. it has a dvd-cd combo drive & woundn't
> read cd's. talked with an IT guy. he walked me thru some checks. found auto
> start and disk drive ok. said prob. was in os & needed to do a repair
> reinstall. inserted original hp's 'operating system cd', restarted machine,
> error message came up needs 'asms file'. gave 4 chooses of paths to click on
> to get file but none worked. the pop up wind stayed on & can't continue with
> repair install. what is prob. & how do i fix it? can i get this file
> somewhere?
> thanks in advance
> dave w.

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Outlook Anywhere not connecting; Outlook 2007 client external to Exchange 2007 SP2
Running Exchange 2007 SP2 with a few users migrated from Novell Groupwise. The following works: Outlook 2003/2007 client (internal ONLY), ActiveSync on smartphones, Outlook Web Access w/ SSL (internal & external). I'm trying to get an Outlook 2007 client that is external to the network connected but for some reason things just won't work. I've enabled Outlook Anywhere on the Exchange server, but things just aren't working. Help!!! Bill Hi Bill, Do you have Port 80 & 443 open on your firewall? Did you enable NTLM or Basic Authentication for Ou...

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

Why XP style not appeared?
I write a IE Band ( A DLL. )like googlebar. I set the RT_MANIFEST and rewrite the resource ID = 2. #define IDR_RT_MANIFEST1 2 Why XP style not appeared? but googlebar has. // this is my stdafx.h #ifndef WINVER // #define WINVER 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINNT // #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINDOWS // #define _WIN32_WINDOWS 0x0410 #endif #ifndef _WIN32_IE // #define _WIN32_IE 0x0501 // #endif build environment: VS2003 + XP SP2 + IE6 thanks ! ...

Office XP Small Business
I have a Publisher 2000 file I'm attempting to open in what I believe is a Publisher 2002 version that came with my Office XP suite. It will not open and I get a "cannot open file" error message. What should I do to open the file? If you have that garbage trash junk rubbish Norton AV installed, that will cause your issues. REMOVING/UNINSTALLING Norton will fix the problem. Get a decent AV program like www.grisoft.com that causes no problems. The file could be corrupt. -- The US should free all those illegally held prisoners they are torturing, abusing and denying huma...

Re-install Outlook 2002

crm consultant needed asap

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Outlook receiving zip files

Outlook 2007 Install gone wrong

unable to read file #7

Office installation and Windows 7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Is Outlook 2000 compatiple with Windows XP Home?
It seems to be having problems if it is... something like Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? Hi, I have Outlook 2000 installed on my XP Home machine and it works fine. >-----Original Message----- >It seems to be having problems if it is... something like >Outlook has experience a problem and must close. I rand >the compatibility wizard, but it didn't help. Can you? >. > Rod <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > It seems to be having problems if it is... something...