XP Forgets Display Settings After Restart

Hi,
I have dual displays at my computer and it has recently started "forgetting" 
the display settings after I restart. Upon restarting once, only one monitor 
will come up with a signal and I can't get it to output to the other monitor. 
If I restart a second time, both monitors will have a signal but it has the 
wrong montior set up as the primary monitor. What is supposed to be my second 
monitor (the one w/ my desktop extended onto it) has my desktop icons and an 
extra toolbar that I use. It's also oriented on the wrong side of what is 
supposed to be my primary monitor. What's supposed to be the primary monitor, 
still has the taskbar on it for some reason.

It's pretty annoying to have to reset all this every time I restart. Is 
there some registry value I can set or clear to fix this?
0
Utf
2/2/2010 2:43:01 PM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

7 Replies
1825 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 4

And what are you using to provide multi monitor support, the software 
supplied with your graphics card or win multi monitor?
Have you installed any driver updates from MSUpdate?

"xr280xr" <xr280xr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:426153BE-6C5F-4412-9462-681ABB6F4B99@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have dual displays at my computer and it has recently started 
> "forgetting"
> the display settings after I restart. Upon restarting once, only one 
> monitor
> will come up with a signal and I can't get it to output to the other 
> monitor.
> If I restart a second time, both monitors will have a signal but it has 
> the
> wrong montior set up as the primary monitor. What is supposed to be my 
> second
> monitor (the one w/ my desktop extended onto it) has my desktop icons and 
> an
> extra toolbar that I use. It's also oriented on the wrong side of what is
> supposed to be my primary monitor. What's supposed to be the primary 
> monitor,
> still has the taskbar on it for some reason.
>
> It's pretty annoying to have to reset all this every time I restart. Is
> there some registry value I can set or clear to fix this? 


0
DL
2/2/2010 4:46:08 PM
Thanks for your response. This never notifies me of replies and I can never 
find my posts...

For multi monitor configuration I normally right click the 
desktop>properties>settings. I have an nvidia quadro fx 570 card and the 
nvidia control panel can set it up too. 

I thought I had the problem resolved when I found that the Windows interface 
somehow had conflicting settings with the nvidia control panel settings. But 
I just installed a second video card and 3rd monitor and it all went to hell. 
I currently have the 2nd video card disabled and the 3rd monitor unplugged 
for simplifying troubleshooting. So I'm trying to get an Asus monitor, and a 
dell monitor to display with the Asus as my primary monitor and the windows 
desktop extended onto the Dell. Here are the latest symptoms:

-Dell monitor was originally plugged in and set as single primary monitor.
-Plugged in Asus monitor. No signal.
-Told windows to extend the desktop onto the Asus. It acts like it did, but 
no signal.
-Told windows to make the Asus the primary and extend the desktop onto the 
dell. No signal on the Asus and no desktop icons or start menu on the dell.
-Restarted, same problems after restart.
-Restarted with only the Asus plugged in. It displayed correctly and I 
changed the resolution to the appropriate resolution.
-Plugged in the dell monitor and restarted.
-Dell monitor initialized first so I quickly restarted again before windows 
loaded.
-Asus monitor initialized first, I saw the POST screen and the Windows 
loading screen but the login screen then appeared on the Dell and Asus had no 
signal! Furthermore the dell had the Asus' resolution.

For some reason it always wants to use the dell monitor and won't send 
signal to the Asus. It also seems like it's getting the two mixed up. Is the 
nvidia driver conflicting with windows or something? I have uninstalled the 
nvidia driver all together and am re-installing now.


"DL" wrote:

> And what are you using to provide multi monitor support, the software 
> supplied with your graphics card or win multi monitor?
> Have you installed any driver updates from MSUpdate?
> 
> "xr280xr" <xr280xr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:426153BE-6C5F-4412-9462-681ABB6F4B99@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have dual displays at my computer and it has recently started 
> > "forgetting"
> > the display settings after I restart. Upon restarting once, only one 
> > monitor
> > will come up with a signal and I can't get it to output to the other 
> > monitor.
> > If I restart a second time, both monitors will have a signal but it has 
> > the
> > wrong montior set up as the primary monitor. What is supposed to be my 
> > second
> > monitor (the one w/ my desktop extended onto it) has my desktop icons and 
> > an
> > extra toolbar that I use. It's also oriented on the wrong side of what is
> > supposed to be my primary monitor. What's supposed to be the primary 
> > monitor,
> > still has the taskbar on it for some reason.
> >
> > It's pretty annoying to have to reset all this every time I restart. Is
> > there some registry value I can set or clear to fix this? 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/11/2010 7:26:01 AM
Oh, and I don't believe I've ever updated the display drivers from MS but I'm 
not 100% positive.

"DL" wrote:

> And what are you using to provide multi monitor support, the software 
> supplied with your graphics card or win multi monitor?
> Have you installed any driver updates from MSUpdate?
> 
> "xr280xr" <xr280xr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:426153BE-6C5F-4412-9462-681ABB6F4B99@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have dual displays at my computer and it has recently started 
> > "forgetting"
> > the display settings after I restart. Upon restarting once, only one 
> > monitor
> > will come up with a signal and I can't get it to output to the other 
> > monitor.
> > If I restart a second time, both monitors will have a signal but it has 
> > the
> > wrong montior set up as the primary monitor. What is supposed to be my 
> > second
> > monitor (the one w/ my desktop extended onto it) has my desktop icons and 
> > an
> > extra toolbar that I use. It's also oriented on the wrong side of what is
> > supposed to be my primary monitor. What's supposed to be the primary 
> > monitor,
> > still has the taskbar on it for some reason.
> >
> > It's pretty annoying to have to reset all this every time I restart. Is
> > there some registry value I can set or clear to fix this? 
> 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/11/2010 7:34:01 AM
After re-installing here is some more behavior that might narrow it down. I'm 
pretty sure something is different about this Dell monitor. It acts like it's 
not plug and play or not multi-display friendly or something.

I've been using my computer with only the Asus mointor pluged in to the 
nvidia quadro card and it has worked fine. Quadro card has two DVI out puts. 
I notice if I unplug the Asus monitor and plug it back in, I hear the XP plug 
and play device found sound. I tried switching between the two DVI plugs and 
it works fine on both. 

Next I tried plugging in the Dell again. It doesn't play the plug and play 
sound effect for this monitor and doesn't send it any signal. If I go to my 
display settings, it only recognizes 1 monitor:  (Default Monitor) on NVIDIA 
Quadro FX 570. When checking the display settings in the nvidia control 
panel, it shows a single monitor and actually shows the name: Asus VH236H.

Here's the stranger part. If I go to Device Manager>Monitors>Scan for 
hardware changes, then the sound plays and Dell E1909W(Digital) shows up in 
the list of monitors. When I return to the windows display settings tab, it 
still only recognizes the 1 monitor. Strangely, when checking the nvidia 
control panel settings, it now shows only Dell E1909W and no longer sees the 
Asus monitor. What seems like the biggest clue in all of this is, if at this 
point I unplug the Dell monitor, the plug and play noise plays as if it just 
found the Asus monitor again even though it was already plugged in. Once I 
crawl back out from under my desk (which is getting really fun ;) Asus VH236H 
now appears in the still open nvidia control panel settings screen.

So it's like the Dell monitor is not plug and play, and once it's 
recognized, it wants to be the only display. I need an expert! Thanks.

0
Utf
2/11/2010 8:49:01 AM
xr280xr wrote:
> After re-installing here is some more behavior that might narrow it down. I'm 
> pretty sure something is different about this Dell monitor. It acts like it's 
> not plug and play or not multi-display friendly or something.
> 
> I've been using my computer with only the Asus mointor pluged in to the 
> nvidia quadro card and it has worked fine. Quadro card has two DVI out puts. 
> I notice if I unplug the Asus monitor and plug it back in, I hear the XP plug 
> and play device found sound. I tried switching between the two DVI plugs and 
> it works fine on both. 
> 
> Next I tried plugging in the Dell again. It doesn't play the plug and play 
> sound effect for this monitor and doesn't send it any signal. If I go to my 
> display settings, it only recognizes 1 monitor:  (Default Monitor) on NVIDIA 
> Quadro FX 570. When checking the display settings in the nvidia control 
> panel, it shows a single monitor and actually shows the name: Asus VH236H.
> 
> Here's the stranger part. If I go to Device Manager>Monitors>Scan for 
> hardware changes, then the sound plays and Dell E1909W(Digital) shows up in 
> the list of monitors. When I return to the windows display settings tab, it 
> still only recognizes the 1 monitor. Strangely, when checking the nvidia 
> control panel settings, it now shows only Dell E1909W and no longer sees the 
> Asus monitor. What seems like the biggest clue in all of this is, if at this 
> point I unplug the Dell monitor, the plug and play noise plays as if it just 
> found the Asus monitor again even though it was already plugged in. Once I 
> crawl back out from under my desk (which is getting really fun ;) Asus VH236H 
> now appears in the still open nvidia control panel settings screen.
> 
> So it's like the Dell monitor is not plug and play, and once it's 
> recognized, it wants to be the only display. I need an expert! Thanks.
> 

You can review the Plug and Play coming from the monitors with this.
If you can see the two monitors in the pull-down menu, and both
displays gobs of numbers, then chances are both monitors are doing
their jobs. If one display shows and the other does not, there could
be some kind of conflict (or bad implementation) on the video card.

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

Page 8 here, shows a hardware block diagram. You have to be very patient,
as when you use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view page 8, it can take many
seconds before the diagram appears (on my slow computers, I have to wait
30 seconds before the diagram appears). So flip to page 8 and wait until
a yellow colored block diagram appears in the middle of the page.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1k/whitepapers/X1000_Family_Technology_Overview_Whitepaper.pdf

The concept there, is there are logically two display channels on the
video card. A display channel is "bound" to a monitor at some point.
A video card may have three connectors on the faceplate, but only
two of them can be driven at any one time, as there are only
two logical display channels in a multi-head capable desktop video card.
(Cards capable of driving four monitors, are cheating, as they use
two GPU chips, and really, it is the same ratio of two display channels
available per GPU chip.)

Now, consider your scenario. You have two monitors. Only one of them
seems to "bind" to anything, and the monitor that wins seems to be
random.

Imagine, for some reason, that only one logical display channel was working.
This could be a driver issue (such as the driver not installing properly),
or some other kind of interference, such as running in SLI mode.
Would the second card also be an FX 570 ? Did the Nvidia driver
assume they're operating SLI, and do some kind of bus-based
SLI combining of the two cards performance ? Perhaps that
results in one logical display channel, and only the ability
to drive one monitor. (Two cards in SLI, as far as I know,
are still limited to driving one display. Maybe that has changed
recently, but I don't have an easy way to check that.)

Now, on my computer, I've got it easy. In Device Manager, each
display channel of my video card, has its own entry. In other
words, I have one video card installed, but there are two
entries in Device Manager. I can tell by looking at that, that
logically all is well.

It seems for more recent video cards (mine is ancient), that
has changed. They no longer necessarily put multiple entries
in Device Manager. I was hoping to use that as a debugging tool,
but looking at pictures of Device Manager on the web, they
don't seem to use that concept any more. Now, they seem to
put only one entry per video card. That leaves me with
no simple way to verify both logical display channels are available.

    Paul
0
Paul
2/11/2010 2:53:38 PM
Wow, that's some excellent information Paul, thank you. I will try out the 
Monitor Asset Manager after I restart. I currently have all 3 displays 
working but I'm guessing it might get messed up again after I restart. There 
does seem to be a binding issue but to me it seems like the Dell always wins 
when it's plugged in. Based on that, I figured, I should just plug the Dell 
into the second video card and stop trying to battle between it and another 
monitor (Fuji Plus a.k.a. Kingston). So with the Asus and a 3rd monitor 
plugged into the FX 570 and the Dell plugged into the disabled second card, 
which is a PCI GForce 6200, I started to try to get dual monitors to work.  I 
could not get it to work using windows but using the nvidia control panel, I 
could choose from Clone, or Span across the monitors. "Dual View" was not 
available. I've seen this before in the past too and usually restarting it 
magically causes Dual View to become available and it did this time too. I 
now had dual displays working correctly. I restarted again to make sure it 
would stick and the secondary monitor initialized first during startup, but 
then they displayed correctly once Windows (and probably the nvidia driver) 
was loaded. I enabled the GForce 6200, restarted and configured the Dell as 
my 3rd display and so far so good. So it seems like with the Asus + Kingston, 
the FX 570 is finnicky but predictable but with the Asus + Dell, it's 
completely uncontrollable. 

In reference to the rest of your post, it does seem like one of the channels 
gets deactivated somehow and I have to perform the right steps, such as 
restarting after it recognizes 2 monitors are being used, to get it to use 
it. I was not aware of SLI technology until you mentioned it but that does 
sound like a good theory though I'm guessing since my second card is just a 
PCI card, it might not even be possible. I don't even have the SLI settings 
under 3D settings in the NVidia control panel so hopefully that is not 
happening! FYI, according to the nvidia control panel help, you can actually 
set up SLI with multiple monitors too now.

My device manager used to show the fx570 as two devices too but now it just 
shows one. I don't know when or why that changed. It sounds like I probably 
need to get in contact with nvidia or Dell support for this as it's most 
likely an issue with the way the video card is being driven?

Thanks for your help.



> You can review the Plug and Play coming from the monitors with this.
> If you can see the two monitors in the pull-down menu, and both
> displays gobs of numbers, then chances are both monitors are doing
> their jobs. If one display shows and the other does not, there could
> be some kind of conflict (or bad implementation) on the video card.
> 
> http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
> 
> Page 8 here, shows a hardware block diagram. You have to be very patient,
> as when you use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view page 8, it can take many
> seconds before the diagram appears (on my slow computers, I have to wait
> 30 seconds before the diagram appears). So flip to page 8 and wait until
> a yellow colored block diagram appears in the middle of the page.
> 
> http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1k/whitepapers/X1000_Family_Technology_Overview_Whitepaper.pdf
> 
> The concept there, is there are logically two display channels on the
> video card. A display channel is "bound" to a monitor at some point.
> A video card may have three connectors on the faceplate, but only
> two of them can be driven at any one time, as there are only
> two logical display channels in a multi-head capable desktop video card.
> (Cards capable of driving four monitors, are cheating, as they use
> two GPU chips, and really, it is the same ratio of two display channels
> available per GPU chip.)
> 
> Now, consider your scenario. You have two monitors. Only one of them
> seems to "bind" to anything, and the monitor that wins seems to be
> random.
> 
> Imagine, for some reason, that only one logical display channel was working.
> This could be a driver issue (such as the driver not installing properly),
> or some other kind of interference, such as running in SLI mode.
> Would the second card also be an FX 570 ? Did the Nvidia driver
> assume they're operating SLI, and do some kind of bus-based
> SLI combining of the two cards performance ? Perhaps that
> results in one logical display channel, and only the ability
> to drive one monitor. (Two cards in SLI, as far as I know,
> are still limited to driving one display. Maybe that has changed
> recently, but I don't have an easy way to check that.)
> 
> Now, on my computer, I've got it easy. In Device Manager, each
> display channel of my video card, has its own entry. In other
> words, I have one video card installed, but there are two
> entries in Device Manager. I can tell by looking at that, that
> logically all is well.
> 
> It seems for more recent video cards (mine is ancient), that
> has changed. They no longer necessarily put multiple entries
> in Device Manager. I was hoping to use that as a debugging tool,
> but looking at pictures of Device Manager on the web, they
> don't seem to use that concept any more. Now, they seem to
> put only one entry per video card. That leaves me with
> no simple way to verify both logical display channels are available.
> 
>     Paul
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/11/2010 5:27:01 PM
Well it's been a couple weeks and I've restarted a couple times and the 
monitors have come up correctly both times now that I have the Dell monitor 
plugged into the 2nd video card by itself. So I think that it is something 
about that was messing up the way my other video card initialized. I wish I 
knew what it was. One strange quirck I still have is when restarting, the 
POST screen and Windows XP loading screen always initialize on my secondary 
monitor no matter which physical output I use on the back. Once windows is 
loaded they get sorted out though so not a problem.

"xr280xr" wrote:

> Wow, that's some excellent information Paul, thank you. I will try out the 
> Monitor Asset Manager after I restart. I currently have all 3 displays 
> working but I'm guessing it might get messed up again after I restart. There 
> does seem to be a binding issue but to me it seems like the Dell always wins 
> when it's plugged in. Based on that, I figured, I should just plug the Dell 
> into the second video card and stop trying to battle between it and another 
> monitor (Fuji Plus a.k.a. Kingston). So with the Asus and a 3rd monitor 
> plugged into the FX 570 and the Dell plugged into the disabled second card, 
> which is a PCI GForce 6200, I started to try to get dual monitors to work.  I 
> could not get it to work using windows but using the nvidia control panel, I 
> could choose from Clone, or Span across the monitors. "Dual View" was not 
> available. I've seen this before in the past too and usually restarting it 
> magically causes Dual View to become available and it did this time too. I 
> now had dual displays working correctly. I restarted again to make sure it 
> would stick and the secondary monitor initialized first during startup, but 
> then they displayed correctly once Windows (and probably the nvidia driver) 
> was loaded. I enabled the GForce 6200, restarted and configured the Dell as 
> my 3rd display and so far so good. So it seems like with the Asus + Kingston, 
> the FX 570 is finnicky but predictable but with the Asus + Dell, it's 
> completely uncontrollable. 
> 
> In reference to the rest of your post, it does seem like one of the channels 
> gets deactivated somehow and I have to perform the right steps, such as 
> restarting after it recognizes 2 monitors are being used, to get it to use 
> it. I was not aware of SLI technology until you mentioned it but that does 
> sound like a good theory though I'm guessing since my second card is just a 
> PCI card, it might not even be possible. I don't even have the SLI settings 
> under 3D settings in the NVidia control panel so hopefully that is not 
> happening! FYI, according to the nvidia control panel help, you can actually 
> set up SLI with multiple monitors too now.
> 
> My device manager used to show the fx570 as two devices too but now it just 
> shows one. I don't know when or why that changed. It sounds like I probably 
> need to get in contact with nvidia or Dell support for this as it's most 
> likely an issue with the way the video card is being driven?
> 
> Thanks for your help.
> 
> 
> 
> > You can review the Plug and Play coming from the monitors with this.
> > If you can see the two monitors in the pull-down menu, and both
> > displays gobs of numbers, then chances are both monitors are doing
> > their jobs. If one display shows and the other does not, there could
> > be some kind of conflict (or bad implementation) on the video card.
> > 
> > http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
> > 
> > Page 8 here, shows a hardware block diagram. You have to be very patient,
> > as when you use Adobe Acrobat Reader to view page 8, it can take many
> > seconds before the diagram appears (on my slow computers, I have to wait
> > 30 seconds before the diagram appears). So flip to page 8 and wait until
> > a yellow colored block diagram appears in the middle of the page.
> > 
> > http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx1k/whitepapers/X1000_Family_Technology_Overview_Whitepaper.pdf
> > 
> > The concept there, is there are logically two display channels on the
> > video card. A display channel is "bound" to a monitor at some point.
> > A video card may have three connectors on the faceplate, but only
> > two of them can be driven at any one time, as there are only
> > two logical display channels in a multi-head capable desktop video card.
> > (Cards capable of driving four monitors, are cheating, as they use
> > two GPU chips, and really, it is the same ratio of two display channels
> > available per GPU chip.)
> > 
> > Now, consider your scenario. You have two monitors. Only one of them
> > seems to "bind" to anything, and the monitor that wins seems to be
> > random.
> > 
> > Imagine, for some reason, that only one logical display channel was working.
> > This could be a driver issue (such as the driver not installing properly),
> > or some other kind of interference, such as running in SLI mode.
> > Would the second card also be an FX 570 ? Did the Nvidia driver
> > assume they're operating SLI, and do some kind of bus-based
> > SLI combining of the two cards performance ? Perhaps that
> > results in one logical display channel, and only the ability
> > to drive one monitor. (Two cards in SLI, as far as I know,
> > are still limited to driving one display. Maybe that has changed
> > recently, but I don't have an easy way to check that.)
> > 
> > Now, on my computer, I've got it easy. In Device Manager, each
> > display channel of my video card, has its own entry. In other
> > words, I have one video card installed, but there are two
> > entries in Device Manager. I can tell by looking at that, that
> > logically all is well.
> > 
> > It seems for more recent video cards (mine is ancient), that
> > has changed. They no longer necessarily put multiple entries
> > in Device Manager. I was hoping to use that as a debugging tool,
> > but looking at pictures of Device Manager on the web, they
> > don't seem to use that concept any more. Now, they seem to
> > put only one entry per video card. That leaves me with
> > no simple way to verify both logical display channels are available.
> > 
> >     Paul
> > .
> > 
0
Utf
2/22/2010 3:57:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How can I make a sheet display data from another sheet based on date criteria?
Hello, Say I have an Excel workbook with 3 sheets (sheet1, sheet2, sheet3). Each sheet has two columns (Date, Thing that happened on that date). I would like to know if there's a way to have a fourth sheet, called "on this date in history" (or whatever). It would consider today's date and display each thing that happened on todays date in previous years on each row. So basically, if I open the workbook on May 11th, 2007 and go to the fourth sheet, it would show me a list list of events that happened on May 11th in previous years, and it would update for each day that I vi...

display just the first element in a field on a form
I have a .csv file that I import. The first 8 lines have important information such as date, test parameters, etc. (1 parameter per line) The remaining lines consist of 4 parameters per line separated by a comma; easily read into Access. How can I display just the first element of "field1" on a form? I do not wish to change this value. I have tried a Text Box with the Control Source =[Imported_Table]![Field1].[column](1) only to get a #name? What is the simplest way to accomplish this? Thank you!!! On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:19:01 -0800, Rickm wrote: > I have a .csv file ...

Web Folders not displaying
I have users that want to access thier email via HTTP. Everything works great on the Intranet where the Exchange 2003 Ent Server resides. On the external side of my firewall i setup an alais that just redirects the traffic to the internal exchange 2003 box. When a user comes in from the internet...they are authenticated and the folder listings show up...but the middle pane where the email actual are to be listed, don't show up. The messages reads The folder can't be displayed. You don't have permission to perfor this action If the user comes in thru the VPN...of course no pr...

public calendar default settings
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 I have my default Outlook calendar and have created a second public calendar that is shared with others on my Exchange server. The default reminder setting for my default Outlook calendar is 1 hour. That seems to also be the default reminder setting for the things I put on the public calendar. However, the public calendar items do not need reminders. But when I change the default reminder setting to "none," that has now become the default reminder setting for my personal calendar as well. Is there a way to set separate defaults fo...

Tab Index Order, Setting With VBA
The code below is supposed to assign control tab index order. However, it bugs out in the FOR loop of the sub SetTabsInPhoneBookOrder: 'Run-time error 2184: The value you used for the TabIndex property isn't valid. The correct values are from 0 through 9. I don't recall where I got the code and the author did not include his email address. I've search for his name and searched for ways to assign tabindex via VBA (Access 2002), without luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for looking, Bob Option Compare Database Option Explicit Const CACHE_SIZE = 50 Sub Cachin...

I have Office XP Developer...
....and want to install Publisher - but cannot find it anywhere on the CD disks supplied. Is Publisher available on the Developer version & if so can anyone point me in the right direction to install it - this is driving me bonkers! Cheers Mark Sorry - first time on here so have now found the answer which appears to be "unless you were dead lucky and got a super whizz special ltd edition version" then it's not included. I'm frankly appauled that, despite buying the most expensive version of Office XP such a major programme should be excluded from the Developer ...

need to download office 2003 to my windows xp
i have tried everything i know to find the office 2003 that my school says i need to continue with my corses. however, all i find is the updates for office 2003 . i dont need the updates untill i get the original , do i ? -- dianne You cannot use the updates without the original. And Office is not downloadable. You need to purchase a copy. As a student there are some great deals available to you. Try your school bookstore. And BTW..this is a Dynamics GP (Great Plains) site. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tip...

Navigate to a particular link doesnot display the text sometimes
Have used navigate method of IWebBrowser2 in a property page to display the htm file. Debug prints shows the correct path is given for a link ( eg path for one of the hyper links path is C:/../team_typesENU.htm#aft) inside htm file . Sometimes the contents of the file does not get displayed .Contents are shown only when clicked on the control itself or navigate between the pages. text is hidden. anybody can let me know why is this happening ? ...

Rolling out exchange configuration settings
I am interested in if anyone knows a way to script Outlook Exchange settings. We are in the process of rolling out exchange to our enterprise. I'm looking for a way to script the settings so that we can easily configure end users clients. All users will be using their AD credential to access the exchange server. Anyone know of a solution, script, suggestion? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ork2003/HA011403051033.aspx Whitepaper: Configuring Outlook Profiles by Using a PRF File http://www.slipstick.com/exs/olroam.asp Roaming Profiles and Multiple Users Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE --...

XP media center SP3 problems
Hi, I am working on a Gateway laptop running XP Media Center. It has SP2 installed. I have tried to install SP3 through automatic updates and it will not complete. I turned off XP firewall and Avast anti-virus as suggested if I was having problems. In this mode I get error code 0xD0000006. It displays a message that the installation did not complete. Prior to this I tried several times and it would install partially and then I would get the message: Copy Error- Setup cannot copy the file "_" Ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it and in...

Outlook XP Cannot Access Exchange 5.5
Hi all, We are currently migrating our outlook clients from 2000 to XP. But with some users (1 out of 10) cannot access there mailbox, on our exchange 5.5 SP server, with Outlook XP. They get a dialog asking them for there username and password. When you type in nothing happens no error, you just have retype the password. If they use Outlook 2000 they can there mailbox just fine. I have found MS KB 297781 "You Repeatedly Receive a Prompt for Credentials When You Log On to the E-mail Server" But this seems to be only if access with a pop3 account. Is this a know problem?...

Email changing fonts when sending out in Office XP 2002
email is changing fonts when sending out. does not happen all the time just random. service pack has been installed as well, still no change ...

Setting up segmented bar graphs
I don't know if it can do it or if there is a program for it but I need to know how to set it up in Ecxel. A segmented bar graph is when the %'s are added up on top of one another. Like I need male and female, and they answered yes or no. Well one bar for male ,answers of yes and no %'s on top=100% and the same for female. ________ no 25% | _______| yes 75%| _______| male...............Just in case -- spiketheone ------------------------------------------------------------------------ spiketheone's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=...

IF function help
I have a worksheet that someone wants to have all the blank cells in the range display a "0" and the other cells to display whatever is in them. I have tried to figure out an IF function, but don't know what to put for the false part. Is there a way to have it just display what is in the cell as the false?? Try =IF(A1="",0,A1) It should work for the situation described below. >-----Original Message----- >I have a worksheet that someone wants to have all the >blank cells in the range display a "0" and the other cells >to display whatev...

Outlook Office XP
Out of the blue, a user is asked for user name and password. after providing both they can get in, but everytime they go back in, it prompts for the password. what gives? help any one? For Outlook 2000 or 2002 on Win 98, NT, or 2000: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=290684 For Outlook 2000 on Windows 2000: (CW) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=275465 (IMO) http://support.microsoft.com/?id=259416 For all Outlook versions on Windows XP (just ignore the parts that refer to Outlook Express): http://support.microsoft.com/?id=264672 For in a NT domain http://support.microsoft.com/?id=3216...

Pasting sub sets.
Using Excel as a Db, how may I copy / paste a sub set? I currently get the entire Db pasting when trying to copy/paste desired rows (the others being hidden). Thanks spam@uce.gov Rodney, Before copying, use Edit / Go To.... Special, Visible cells only. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Rodney" <rodney@touch88gum.com.au> wrote in message news:OyGKvquyFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Using Excel as a Db, > how may I copy / paste a sub set? > I currently get the entire Db pasting > when trying to copy/paste desired rows > (the others being hidden). > >...

VS2005 and XP manifest
I've imported a project from Visual Studio 2003 into VS2005. So far so good. When building the UI project, it fails with a duplicate manifest. I had defined in the resource file an include for a manifest for each platform so that I get the new XP common controls, and apparently VS2005 creates a manifest itself. I took out mine and then the compile was successful. Unfortunately, my app lost the XP controls. In looking at the manifest that VS2005 now generates magically, it has 2 entries for MFC dll's, but none for the common control DLL. I created a new test project in VS2005, and i...

Display one sheet or two userforms while code is vba code is running on another
I have VBA code that freezes and unfreezes windows on a worksheet while it searches for the best presentation. Although it only takes 10 seconds or less to execute, this is annoying to watch, and I do not know how to prevent it from displaying. If I use application.screen update = false then the windows do not freeze or I get an error. The same thing happens if I minimize the worksheet. The same with the events = false application. Tthis sequence of events is occuring as a part of a larger sequence of operations, the total taking about 1-2 minutes to run at the most depending ...

Distribution Lists, How to Set up?
From time to time, I get messages from professional organizations and others that is clearly sent to a distribution list, but only my name appears in the To: field. Can I do something like that in Outlook? Checking the archives, I see that one recommendation is to put the DL in the BCC field. I just tried a test using that method. It does keep the dl addresses hidden, but it appears to put my email address in the To: field for all of the recipients. That is, I included several contacts in the dl and the email they all received had MY email address showing in the To: field. Is there some wa...

Setting up a budget by percentage ...
I recently upgraded to Money 2006 but I can't find a way to set up a budget by percentage of income (net or gross) rather than by dollar amount. Am I missing something or is this indeed impossible. If it's impossible, does anyone know if this feature is available in Money 2007? It isn't possible in M06. You might like the "Savings and Spending Budget" in M07. I still don't know that is supports percentage entry directly. You can read up about it on the Money web site in the user's guide or in prior postings over the last 60 days or so. Or you could investig...

Can one set up a survey form on excel?
Can one set up a survey form (questionnaire) on Excel? Janev Yes you can? "Janev" wrote: > Can one set up a survey form (questionnaire) on Excel? > > Janev > Check out Dave Peterson's code on Debra Dalgleish's website. It builds the survey form with option buttons for you! There's also a sample workbook there that you can download. http://www.contextures.com/xlform01.html Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP "Janev" wrote: > Can one set up a survey form (questionnaire) on Excel? > > Janev > ...

Redux: Wrong dialog displayed using derived classes
First of all, thanks for the help you all have given so far. But it's still not working. My problem: Because I have so many related dialogs, each with lots of code processing the input, I've made a hierarchy of dialog classes derived from CDialog. Each derived dialog has its own unique dialog resource. It took some doing to get it all to link, so it's certain I derived my classes wrong. When I activate a derived dialog at run time, the base class's dialog is displayed instead of that of the derived one. Why, and how to fix it? Thanks very much!! Rick Here is the class hie...

Macro to change cells' display, Pounds, euro, dollars
I have a spreadsheet which I plan to protect all but a handful of fields for the user to enter various money amounts. I'd like to include a BUTTON in the spreadsheet that will force the display of any money field to pounds, dollars, or euro. Mostly a cosmetic change, and I don't want the user to have to select the fields to change since some are locked. Is there any example like this using a button/macro? Mark, Maybe like this, to change specific cells: Sub ChangeCurrFormat() Dim rngCurrency As Range Dim MyMsg As String Dim myStyle As Integer Set rngCurrency = Range("A1,B3,C...

Archive settings
Hi there, I think I have seen this question before, but I could not see an answer. I wonder if there is somewhere a tool that would allow me to configure the Archiving settings for my MANY .pst files in one single place. I do not talk about the global setting, but the setting per-.pst file (which might be different depending on the .pst file), without having me to open every single .pst file properties. does such a tool exist? thanks for any pointer dan Dan, The only archive settings that I am aware of in Outlook are the Global setting that can be for all folders and the archive ...

Outlook 2003: Copy Full Names to email display Names
I recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 from 2000. I believe 2000 used to choose email addresses based on the Full Name field. 2003 appears to choose based on the Email Display name. Most of my email Display Names are just the email addresses. What is the easiest way to copy the Full Name to the email Display Name? What do you mean by "choose email addresses?" The Display Name has varied with each version of Outlook, but it is of no consequence. What makes you think it is? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "orbojeff" <jeff.callahan@orbograph.com> wrote in message new...