Windows Security Center/Antivirus Problem

For the past couple of days Windows Security Center has been sending
pop-up alerts on my husband's computer saying that his Virus Protection
is out of date. It is NOT out of date. The antivirus program (Ca
antivirus) shows the last product update as today. A virus scan comes up
clean. So does a spyware scan (Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes). Any ideas?
0
sharonf

sharonf wrote:

> For the past couple of days Windows Security Center has been sending
> pop-up alerts on my husband's computer saying that his Virus Protection
> is out of date. It is NOT out of date. The antivirus program (Ca
> antivirus) shows the last product update as today. A virus scan comes up
> clean. So does a spyware scan (Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes). Any ideas?

See:  Security Center Not Reporting Anti-Virus or Firewall Status Correctly
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/security-center-not-reporting-anti-virus-or-firewall-status-correctly/

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
0
MowGreen
1/12/2010 7:37:48 PM
  Sharon, WSC may not recognize your Antivirus program. I use Comodo and I
have the same problem. What I did was to go to
  Control Panel>Security Center>Lt column - Change way Security Center
alerts me- Uncheck Antivirus.
"sharonf" <me7@privacy.net> wrote in message
> For the past couple of days Windows Security Center has been sending
> pop-up alerts on my husband's computer saying that his Virus Protection is
> out of date. It is NOT out of date. The antivirus program (Ca antivirus)
> shows the last product update as today. A virus scan comes up clean. So
> does a spyware scan (Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes). Any ideas?

0
Rich
1/12/2010 7:38:41 PM
sharonf wrote:

> For the past couple of days Windows Security Center has been sending
> pop-up alerts on my husband's computer saying that his Virus Protection
> is out of date. It is NOT out of date. The antivirus program (Ca
> antivirus) shows the last product update as today. A virus scan comes up
> clean. So does a spyware scan (Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes). Any ideas?

This is the link for XP, Sharon. My previous post contained the link for
Vista/Win7. Sorry about that:

Rebuilding the WMI Repository
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

MowGreen
===============
  *-343-*  FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"
0
MowGreen
1/12/2010 7:40:19 PM
sharonf wrote:
> For the past couple of days Windows Security Center has been sending
> pop-up alerts on my husband's computer saying that his Virus Protection
> is out-of-date. It is NOT out-of-date. The antivirus program (Ca
> antivirus) shows the last product update as today.  A virus scan comes up
> clean.  So does a spyware scan (Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes).  Any ideas?

Check the date on his system.. if it has the wrong date, that can cause
that error.

--
Joe   =o)
0

Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

sharonf wrote:
> For the past couple of days Windows Security Center has been sending
> pop-up alerts on my husband's computer saying that his Virus Protection
> is out of date. It is NOT out of date. The antivirus program (Ca
> antivirus) shows the last product update as today. A virus scan comes up
> clean. So does a spyware scan (Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes). Any ideas?

0
PA
1/13/2010 2:48:41 AM
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> What did CA Support have to say when you asked them about it?
>
> Has his CA subscription ever expired?
>
> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer

  No reply yet back from CA. His CA subscription has not expired. Also
no Norton or McAfee have ever been installed in his computer. He has had
this computer for a few years now and no changes have been made to his
virus program....other than updating to a new version. No version
updating has been made for quite some time.
0
sharonf
1/13/2010 3:26:45 AM
sharonf wrote:
> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> What did CA Support have to say when you asked them about it?
>>
>> Has his CA subscription ever expired?
>>
>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on the computer
>
>  No reply yet back from CA. His CA subscription has not expired. Also
> no Norton or McAfee have ever been installed in his computer. He has had
> this computer for a few years now and no changes have been made to his
> virus program....other than updating to a new version. No version
> updating has been made for quite some time.

[To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

HOW TO Rebuild the Window Management Instrumentation Repository (WinXP)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm

BONUSTip: Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups

PA

Index Match Problem
I'm using the following formula, but it's returning #N/A: =INDEX('File X'!$F$1:$F$2000,MATCH(1,($B5='File X'!$A$1:$A$2000)*(S$4='File X'!$G$1:$G$2000),0) However, if I replace the S$4 with "7710", it returns the correct value. The number in S4 is 7710. Why won't the formula recognize the cell reference, but if I type the contents of the cell manually, it works? I double-checked to make sure nothing was entered as text. Hi, is 7710 a number typed or imported, check if you don't have blank spaces in one of the two cells you ...

Problem with converting Quicken to Money.
I am a new user of Money, I just installed it and converted all of my Quicken files over. When I began to enter my recipts I was warned that there was already a weekly "recurring payment" related to that receipt. It ends up that more then half my receipts got the same warning. When I viewed the Bills area most days were filled with recurring payments. What is going on? Anyone else have this problem after converting from Quicken? ...

Hiding KB976002 results in security warning
Windows XP SP3 Windows update allows you to hide an update you don't want to install. Of course I have hidden KB976002 which is presented as a critical update but is not a security update and is only needed when the user wants to have it. However, now Windows Update complains that I have hidden a critical security update and that my computer will be in great danger until I restore this update. This is of course incorrect. KB976002 is not a security update. Please update the Windows Update site so that KB976002 can be hidden without further messages and incorrect warnings...

Check this update for MS Windows
--qyvlrvkybmjf Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="hwrqgqycrxi"; type="multipart/alternative" --hwrqgqycrxi Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="lvllmcrxbhi" --lvllmcrxbhi Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these vulnerabil...

How do I avoid this problem with rule?
I have a rule that looks for "hot" in the subject and moves that message to a spam folder. The problem is that if photo is in the subject, the rule sees "hot" in the word photo and moves the message. How can I tell the rule to look for complete words? Thanks, Brett Depending on the version of Outlook, you may be able to use the Exception rule. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Brett <myaccount@cygen.com> asked: | I have a rule that looks for ...

Cannot send from Windows shortcut or Acrobat
Using Office/Outlook 2003, winxp sp1. Ever since I installed Office 2003 (and I use Outlook 2003 with pop3 email accounts from my website hosting provider), I can't right click a file and "Send To a Mail Recipient" anymore. Nothing happens. I get the same problem in Acrobat 6.0 Professional. It won't let me send a pdf file when viewing it from the file menu like it use to. In both cases, I use to have these capabilities when office xp, or even office 2000 was installed. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

Strange problem in BP Portal for GP10 with Queries
I just had a user come to me and tell me he is getting an error on the sales page saying the query does not exist. This is the out of the box query that has not been modified. When I go into query organizer I find the Purchase Order Line Item folder but it now has a (1) beside it with the query inside it. What causes the folders to be renamed. While looking at the queries I multiple folders with the (1) out beside them. Thanks for any information you can shed on this. Robert Fann rfann@nospam.omnipackaging.com ------=_NextPart_0001_BD46EE76 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-...

problem with pivot table
Hello all: I am trying to make a pivot table from my date. My data includes Names, Dates (which I formatted to month, "m" in the format cells option)and Amount due. In designing the pt, I have "Name" in the row field, "Date" in the columnn field and "Amount due" in the Data field. I want my data to be grouped as follows: Month 1 2 3 4 Name $100 $20 $30 $20 Instead I am getting more than 1 month column i.e. Month 1 1 2 2 2 3 Name $80 $20 $30 $20 Do you know why...

Problem with Pie and Doughnut Charts
Hi, I have a couple of doubts in charts: 1) I have a graph where the Column and line charts are plotted on the same axis. I have got that correctly as well. Now, the problem is I want to display selective "Data Labels" on the *line graph*. How do I accomplish this task? (Actually the values for my line graph are same, hence its just a stright line. And I donot want the same value to be displayed again and again. I need just one data label on the beginning of the line) 2) Problem with Doughnut Chart: I have my "Category labels" on multiple rows (each value is typed in 3 ...

Outlook 2002 connector: problem connecting with Domino server because of NAMELookup2 problem
Hi, I'm trying to use Outlook 2002 Connector to connect with a Domino R5 server, but I can get no connection. From the log file I see that the connector uses a NAMELookup2 with the correct Domino server to get the name of the mail file, but the name its gets back is corrupted. There are spurious characters at the end of the mail file name. From the MSOCLog.txt file <<67c 25 16:37>> User name : : CN=Jean-Paul Smeets/O=Someorg <<4f8 25 16:37>> NAMELookup2 called with m_pServerName=someserver Flags=0 pNameSpaces=0x13646F4 NumNameSpaces=1 pNames=0x12E6CC NumNames=1 ...

No Smart Tag help: just a blank "MS Excel Help" window
When I invoke "help on this error" on a Smart Tag drop-down, a blank "MS Excel Help" window appears with no content. The general help pane that appears via <F1> etc. is fine - it's just the Smart Tag help option that doesn't show anything, just a blank window. Any suggestions? Win XP Home SP2 Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) SP1 ...

Help needed with form problem
Workbook contains several forms of varying style and function. One form shows the results of 10 recent tests in a countdown fashion, showing just the results of one test, followed by a one-second delay, followed by just the results of the second test, and so on until the result of each of the 10 tests has been shown. Then the program proceeds on to the next step by calling up a different form. The problem . . . Sometimes when the program starts running one or two of the forms are blanked out ("white" with just the top header showing). The forms continue to function within the ...

Paper size problem
I want to print flyers using Wizard, on A5 Paper. When I use Special Size on Page Setup to change to A5 sizes and set Printer Properties to A5 paper in Print Setup, half the content is not printed. How can I fit the contents of the flyer to an A5 and print. I'm on Win. ME, Publisher 2000 and Lex.Z32 Printer. The flyers are only setup for standard size paper like A4. They are not able to be changed to A5 paper. You can open two instances of Publisher so you can copy from the A4 page to the A5 page and re-size the objects on the A5 page. -- The US should free all those illegally held...

LDAP Issue
Hello, We work with an Authentication Service which does LDAP Connections to 3 different Domains. The Server with the Authentication Service is in a separate Domain and Network zone. The Server is running Windows Server 2003 R2. Tha Authentication Service retrieves information from the 3 domains: DomainA: All DCs running Windows Server 2003 DomainB: All DCs running Windows Server 2003 DomainC: All DCs running Windows Server 2008 The LDAP Bind for Domain A and B works fine. But the Server is unable to make a LDAP Bind to the Windows 2008 DC. More Information: - The F...

Outlook 2000 Password Problem
I have Outlook 2000 on my PC. One feature that I really like is that can type my password in once and for as long as that particular sessio is active the program will never ask me for my password again. Once leave the program the program will then again request the password fo email authentication. I have just gotten a laptop and I installe Outlook 2000 on it. The laptop makes me type in the password each time Is there a way for Outlook 2000 to remember my password each sessio without checking the Save Password box? Thanks, Chri ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message po...

Security and encryption issues when trying to convert to 2007
I currently have a 2003 database set up with a workgroup and user end securities. I know these won't work in 2007, so I've already followed the suggestions through a few other posts and essentially gotten rid of my securities by changing all the profiles to admin with full access and rights. But my database is still encrypted and I receive an error message when I try to convert it. I could just convert the version of the database I have before the securities were added, but I've made a lot of changes since then and don't want to have to redo all those hours of wo...

Problems with Using Word as Email Editor
We use Hummingbird DM 5.1.0.5 for our document and record management. When using this program, it has a problem with Outlook using Word as an Email Editor. When this is turned on, it seems that Outlook opens a different instance of Word. When you try to open or create a word document, you lose the ability to save or print. These features return to normal when you uncheck Word as an Email Editor in Outlook. I have heard that Microsoft was taking this up with Hummingbird to have them fix it. I am just wondering if this was to be resolved, or if it is Hummingbird's problem to ...

Windows 2008
Hi, I am an admin in windows 2008 server. However, I am not able to access the c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History Anyone knows how to change the settings so I can access the folder? Thank you, "Jack Black" <gwklocker01@gmail.com> said this in news item news:60b578d9-ce73-4ab8-851b-9039ea6cfee5@n16g2000yqm.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I am an admin in windows 2008 server. However, I am not able to > access the > c:\Users\<user name>\Local Settings\History > > Anyone knows how to change the settings so I can...

XML Entity problem
Hi, I am still new to XML and thought I had my solution written, but during the rollout, we have come up with a problem with actual XML coming in (as opposed to our test XML). Some character entities have been transmitted unexpectedly. &apos; and &lt; I am loading my XML with XmlDocument, just by XmlDocument xDoc = new XmlDocument(); xDoc.Load(IncomingFilePath + e.Name); e is an incoming Fileinfo. My XML does not have any declaration at the top for a DTD. I always thought &apos; and &lt; were understood, but obviously not. The first line of my incoming XML is <?xml...

Lexar USB Flash ("Jump") Drives and Windows 98
Hi, I posted this (below) last year in Sept. I thought perhaps it can help someone who also uses Lexar "Jump" drives. Note: I did not buy another Lexar "Jump" drive after I posted this: I am a very active user of Windows 98se, and Lexar's "Jump" USB flash drives. Lexar's web site, the last time I checked over a year ago, provided the Win98 driver, but "JDUSBMS.INI" did not include the newer flash drives. What was missing is the PID in the .INI file of some of the newer Lexar flash drives (the ones I bought). ...

Consider space in centering
In centered text, I'd like Excel to consider extra spaces on the left or right. In text consisting of multiple lines, this would allow one line to be forced off-center. But Excel seems to ignore spaces in centering text. Is there any other way to do this - possibly a character that Excel would consider in centering text, but which is invisible on display. (Word can do this using a non-breaking space.) Any suggestions? Thanks. You can enter a non-breaking space character by holding down the Alt key and typing 0160 on the numeric keypad. Hope this helps. Pete On ...

Problem with .rc files in VS 2005
I have several projects that were created with VS 2003. These are MFC based applications with .RC files that contain localized strings. Some of these strings are Japanese, Korean, and Chinese encoded in MBCS. These projects work fine in VS 2003. I converted these projects to compile with VS 2005 and if I bring up the resource editor to view or modify the string resources, VS 2005 will modify the Japanese, Korean, and Chinese strings. It will replace the characters with all "?" question marks. Is there some setting that I need to set to prevent VS from modifying my string...

Public folders problems after migration to e2k3
Just did an migration from 2000 to e2k3 and Outlook clients can't access public folders. Just gives a generic error about not being able to open the folder. In OWA I can open the folders and see all the contents. I also get this error message in my Application log about FreeBusy and am thinking they might be related. Source:MSExchangeFBPublish Category: General Event IT:8197 Error initializing session for virtual machine $Mail$. The error number is 0x8004011d. Make sure Microsoft Exchange Store is running. I have seen others have had problems with Calendar Connector, and an unin...

Can't use Contacts folder following move from XP to Windows 7
I purchased a new computer on Windows 7, installed Office 2003 and copied across all the files including the .pst ones from my old computer which was on XP. Outlook is working fine in every respect except when creating a new message within Mail: it does not recognise the names from my Contacts folder (error message "Microsoft Office Outlook does not recognize xxx" . If I open the Contacts folder and select a contact, I can create "New Message to Contact". "lynbristol" <lynbristol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:309BEC36-C...

email spell check right mouse problem
Using Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as the email editor. Sometimes When a word is misspelled and gets highlighted with the red wavy underline if I right click over it the menu choices are for Signature items like Primary and Secondary. Sometimes it the spelling options are listed. So far I have not been able to determine what circumstances determine which menu will be activated. For my part I dont need to see the signature options and if I did I would put the mouse over the signature. Is there correction for this or a work around this problem? It sounds like you are typing in the signatur...