Windows restore does not work at all

I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I always get a
message '... cannot be restored to' ... followed by the restore point name.

John

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 22:21:01 -0800, John wrote:

> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I always get a
> message '... cannot be restored to' ... followed by the restore point
> name.
>
> John

Turn off any anti-virus/malware programs, particularly if it's Norton's,
a known problem, before trying restore.

Stef
0
Stefan
What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
in the background when you installed ___?

it)?

John wrote:
> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I always get a
> message '... cannot be restored to' ... followed by the restore point
> name.
>
> John

0
PA
1/18/2010 7:42:17 AM
John wrote:
> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I always get a
> message '... cannot be restored to' ... followed by the restore point
> name.
>
> John

Delete all restore points. Then start over. Sometimes a bad restore point
file can bother all the rest.

0
HeyBub
1/18/2010 1:47:57 PM
In news:87FE0476-5611-49DD-A58E-DC73E34D5B23@microsoft.com
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?= <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I always get a
> message '... cannot be restored to' ... followed by the restore point
> name.

Have you tried to run the restore in safe mode?

--
Bert Hyman	St. Paul, MN	bert@iphouse.com
0
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?= <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in news:87FE0476-5611-49DD-A58E-DC73E34D5B23@microsoft.com:

> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I
> always get a message '... cannot be restored to' ...
> followed by the restore point name.
>
> John

Turn off system restore and forget about it.

Even if it worked well (and I see complaints CONSTANTLY), it
does not restore EVERYTHING. Microsoft (who know better than
ANYONE, of course) has decided what is important to you and what
isn't. That's why apps like Acronis True Image were created.
Depending on what your drive make is, you MAY be able to get a
free version of Acronis from you drive manuf's website.

--
There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
and those that will break later.
thanatoid wrote:
> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?= <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in news:87FE0476-5611-49DD-A58E-DC73E34D5B23@microsoft.com:
>
>> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I
>> always get a message '... cannot be restored to' ...
>> followed by the restore point name.
>>
>> John
>
> Turn off system restore and forget about it.

Bad idea.     It's a decent tool, and can come in handy, when used
judiciously, and costs you nothing.

> Even if it worked well (and I see complaints CONSTANTLY),

Well, in point of fact, it works well in certain situations (especially if
you know what you're expecting, and not overdoing it).

> it does not restore EVERYTHING. Microsoft (who know better than

The only thing that does is an image or clone backup.  But sometimes you
don't want everything to be restored, hence the need for ERUNT, for example.

> ANYONE, of course) has decided what is important to you and what
> isn't. That's why apps like Acronis True Image were created.
> Depending on what your drive make is, you MAY be able to get a
> free version of Acronis from you drive manuf's website.

0
Bill
1/19/2010 5:18:56 AM
"Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Bad idea.     It's a decent tool, and can come in handy, when used
> judiciously, and costs you nothing.

When did you last use judiciously this facility.  the cost of having it on
is the extra DISK space it occupies and anti-rus programs needs extra time
to scan that folder.

I have switched it off completely and have I have not missed it yet.

..

0
John
1/19/2010 5:45:24 AM
John Hacker wrote:
> "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Bad idea.     It's a decent tool, and can come in handy, when used
>> judiciously, and costs you nothing.
>
> When did you last use judiciously this facility.  the cost of having it on
> is the extra DISK space it occupies and anti-rus programs needs extra time
> to scan that folder.
>
> I have switched it off completely and have I have not missed it yet.

It was a couple of weeks ago when I was doing some tests.

More often, I fall back to my system image backup or use ERUNT, however, but
there have been some occasions when it has come in handy.

I like having all 3 tools in my tool belt (ERUNT, System Restore, and image
backup), and have used each as appropriate on various occasions.

And for MOST people, System Restore is their only fallback, since few have a
good backup system in place (image or clone), so for them, it can be a real
savior.   So advising them to disable it is really bad advice.

The amount of disk space System Restore uses is not all that excessive
(typically about 60 MB per restore point), and setting aside just 1 or 2 GB
for a couple of weeks of restore points is prudent, I think, unless you
solely want to rely on image or clone backups (but for some software testing
purposes also, I have found System Restore and ERUNT really handy and quick,
to have at my fingertips).

0
Bill
1/19/2010 6:18:23 AM
In news:Xns9D04CBF0AB167thanexit@188.40.43.245,
thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> typed:
> =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obg==?= <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> in news:87FE0476-5611-49DD-A58E-DC73E34D5B23@microsoft.com:
>
>> I fix a restore point but when I try to restore from it I
>> always get a message '... cannot be restored to' ...
>> followed by the restore point name.
>>
>> John
>
> Turn off system restore and forget about it.
>
> Even if it worked well (and I see complaints CONSTANTLY), it
> does not restore EVERYTHING. Microsoft (who know better than
> ANYONE, of course) has decided what is important to you and what
> isn't. That's why apps like Acronis True Image were created.
> Depending on what your drive make is, you MAY be able to get a
> free version of Acronis from you drive manuf's website.

<sigh> if you bothered to READ, the XP System Restore does exactly what it
says it will do: It restores system files. It's useful, handy and a quick
way to get going again when something glitches, especially like a failed
install, malware, corruption, etc..  It is not for data backup and doesn't
claim to be. It's handy to have and even magnitudes faster than restoring
from an image or whatever other method you might use.
   Especially if one doesn't have a backup that can backup the OS using
Shadow Copy etc., it shouldn't be turned off.
   Almost all problems encountered with losing restore points from system
restore are the result of malware or user error or inattention to problems
that are spreading on the PC.  And we all know those things can screw a lot
more than restore points.
  In a way, MS DID decide what's good for you: They DID give you a fast way
to recover your registry settings, which is really all system restore points
consist of.  There is only one reason to turn it off that I'm aware of, and
that would be if you were to run Norton's GoBack; the restore points become
moot at that point.

HTH,

Twayne

0
Twayne

System Restore question
In order to research a problem I'm having (inability to send/receive emails with jpg attachments) with my currently installed IE7/SP3 setup, I have a question. If I uninstall SP3, then uninstall IE7, then reinstall both, and screw it up, will a Restore Point made before I start get me back to proper installations of IE7 and SP3? ( I have a CD for SP3 Thx Dave WnXP IE7, SP3 OE6 Don't you think the problem is with Outlook Express rather than IE7 or SP3? Have you checked the settings in OE? "Dave" <djbahb@dcwis.com> wrote in message news:uQAOX...

Works 8 Calendar
I'm running XP Pro with lots of storage, etc. After one of the recent "critical" updates from automatic updates, my Works 8 Calendar, which has worked for years, no longer runs. I get the standard windows error message that works 8 has encountered a problem and must close. The app attempting to run is wkscal.exe. Any ideas what has changed or was downloaded that could cause this? The calendar is important to reminding me of dates in advance. Have you asked in a Works newsgroup/forum? "bacchus41" <bacchus41@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Effect Setting to Stop Sound File
In PP 2007, I have embedded a .wav file into the first slide and set the Effects within Custom Animation so that the sound will stop playing with a mouse click (default). The PP file is saved on an office network. It works with no issues when I access the file from the network with my computer. However, the sound does not stop on the click when I access the network file from another work computer or when I email the file. The sound continues playing for its duration (3 mins). Ultimately, I need to email this file and it will be presented from someone else's computer ...

Pub07 not working in Vista
Neither Word, not Publisher 2007 will open on my new computer with Vista Business. Excel, Outlook etc work fine. I'm at my wit's end and spent hours with Dell support but still can't solve this problem. Inspiron 9400 I've just about given up and plan to go back to Office 2003 if I can't get any joy from Microsoft. Megan The make and model of your computer doesn't matter Please explain what happens when you try to open these programs. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "Megan"...

Restore Question #4
Good Morning, I want to restore the mailboxes and other settings (including SMTP connector settings) from production server (Exchange server 2003) to a test server on an isolated network. What all needs to be backed up on the production server for a successful restore? Thanks, Kanwar There are potentially lots of things you need to backup including the IIS metabase and Connector info. Read the DR guide http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/disrecopgde.mspx Nue Kanwar wrote: > Good Morning, > > I want to restore the mailboxes and other settings (...

Macro to print current page only in Word 2010 isn't working
I tried to create a macro (placed it on the QAT) whereby only the current page would be printed. I turned on the Record Macro, then went to File>Print, then under Print Settings, selected Print Current Page. After I hit the printer icon, the current page only is printed. So far all is well. At that point, the print dialog disappears, then I go up to the Ribbon and then select Stop Recording the macro. But the next time I go to the QAT and click on that macro, what is printed is NOT the current page, but the page number that was printed up when I recorded the macro--e.g., if I was vi...

Getting List of Visible Windows
Hi All, I am working on a problem that requires me to know whether or not any part of a particular window is visible (even if it's like a one pixel corner). In my misunderstanding, I thought that ::IsWindowVisible would cover it, but it looks like that call just verifies that the hWnd actually has a dialog box. I was able to take it a step further and find out whether or not a window is minimized using ::GetWindowPlacement, but I really need to find out if a window is visible or not (in other words, not completely covered by higher z-order windows). Is there some sort of API call that ...

How to detect the left button click occured in other window?
Hi all.. I need to receive the WM_LBUTTONDOWN message posted to another window (such as Spy++ does with messages). How can I do that? I tried SetCapture( ) but it didn't work Thank Jaime (1) Handle it in the other window (2) If it is in your own process, SetWindowsHookEx() to a function in your .exe (3) If it is in another process, SetWindowsHookEx() to a function in a DLL. joe On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:06:04 -0700, "Jaime Stuardo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi all... > >I need to receive the WM_LBUTTONDOWN message posted to another window ...

edit windows live mail spell checker in XP
The edit button doesn't work in my windows live mail spell checker. How can I remove entries from the custom dictionary? Sorry, but this newsgroup is for questions about Access, the database product that's part of Office Professional. You'd be best off reposting to a newsgroup related to Live Mail. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "patty" <user@msgroups.net/> wrote in message news:ekxUbqMsKHA.5936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > The edit button doesn't work in my windows live mail spell checker...

Working with check boxes
Dear Someone Who Can Help, I am new to Excel and have been asked to develop a timesheet. It should calculate overtime hours only if the employee is eligible. Using the Forms Toolbar, I've added a tickbox named "OtApplies". However, I can't figure out how to write the formula to refer to the tickbox result in my cell formula. I have tried the following: =IF(OtApplies=1,SUM(P9-Q9) Can anyone advise? Thank you! Hi Haleigh! You need to link the checkbox to a cell. Right click the checkbox object and select Format Control. In the cell link box, enter a cell that w...

windows profile
We have a domain server that crashed last week, I have pop3 email on a isp server on the internet. When they put the domain server up again they changed the domain name and everyone got a new profile. How do I recover messages and contacts from my last outlook 2002 install? Where are the files stored? thanks dan Check this page for all you need to know: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Aloha, -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP http://home.hawaii.rr.com/schorr **I apologize but I am unable to respond to direct requests for assistance. Please post questions and replies ...

cash receipts window improvements
During cash receipts entry the default account distribution is assigned after entering an amount and tabbing away from the amount field. However, if you then change the checkbook id, that checkbook’s default cash account is not updated into the cash receipts distribution. Thus, the distribution goes to the wrong GL account while the deposit actually gets recorded on the checkbook (that has a different GL account). The work around is to always remember to change the checkbook before entering an amount but this is counter-intuitive because when a user tabs through the cash receipts fie...

Outlook on XP doesn't recover all emails in pst file from Windows 2000
I have pst files which have emails from around 2001 to the present. In Sept 2005 I swicthed over to a machine running Windows 2000. Now that machine died so I swicthed to a notebook running XP Home. When I copied the pst files to the Local Settings/App data/Microsoft/Outlook folder, everything is there from 2001 through Sept 2005, but there is nothing showing up from Sept 2005 to the present. I am sure hundreds of emails in the period Sept 2005 to Aug 2006 are in those pst files. The one called mailbox.pst has a modified date of Aug 2006. And yet none of the past year's emails show up in O...

Relationship of cust ent's account to incident account not working
Hello All, Been a while since I've been on, but it's good to be back. Here's the deal: I've got a custom entity in CRM which has a many-to-one relationship with the Account entity. To this custom entity I have created a many-to-one relationship with the Incident entity, with the custom entity's accountid lookup attribute mapping to the customerid attribute of the Incident. When I create a new Incident (case) from the custom entity's Incident list view the relationship seems to be set correctly - the Account to which the custom entity belongs appears in the n...

Mouse messages in window border
I have an SDI app and am trying to figure out how to process mouse messages when the cursor is in the right border of the window. So far, neither my view's mouse message handlers nor the mainframe's non-client handlers are giving me any feedback. What should I be using here? Steve Russell wrote: > I have an SDI app and am trying to figure out how to process mouse messages > when the cursor is in the right border of the window. So far, neither my > view's mouse message handlers nor the mainframe's non-client handlers are > giving me any feedback. What s...

windows live family safety option
downloaded your latest "windows live" bundle from microsoft update. it asked whether or not I wanted to add a family safety option. i didn't know what that meant so I let the whole thing install. now that I see what its for - I have no use for it. how can I deinstall the family safety option. the "windows live bundle" changed so much software on my system that I don't see how to back out. so if there is an easier way to just take out the family safety package from my system then I would be happy. Control Panel - Add / Remove Programs . . . ...

How do I access works word processor on xp disc
My system crashed soI re-installed my Office Professional 2003 from my disc, but my Works Word Processor did not re-install. How do I find and re-install this processor? Works is not on any Windows disk, its supplied seperately. "SusanA" <SusanA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86B4955C-50B6-4A2B-8D63-456BE3036792@microsoft.com... > My system crashed soI re-installed my Office Professional 2003 from my > disc, > but my Works Word Processor did not re-install. How do I find and > re-install > this processor? ...

Removing Windows Format 11 runtime
I have WIndows Media Format 11 runtime AND Windows Media Player 11 both showing up on the Add/Remove Program list. The Media Format 11 runtime shows that it is rarely used but the Media Player 11 shows it is used frequently. Can I remove the Media Format 11 runtime without it affecting the Media Player? I would *definitely* not try to remove it, because you would risk breaking WMP. The "rarely used" shown by Add/Remove programs is incorrect in this case and can be safely ignored. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk jasonfive wrote: > I have...

MICROSOFT FRONTPAGE 2003 Running with Windows 7 HOME EDITION
Hi there It looks like the program works up to the point of logging into the website using Frontpage/Sharepoint option. It is my beliefe that Frontpage 2003 comes with everything you need for out of the box solutions. What do I need or what am I missing? Thanks -- Tony Ashlin So, do you actually have a web site with a host and an account set up with them? Don't quite understand what you are asking. What do you mean by "logging into the website"? -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "TonyAsh...

Used to return a worke sheet to origanan values
Help please hoe hard can a one word answer be thanks Easy "wyatt131" <wyatt131@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EC233A4B-8294-4024-96CA-DF9065A712CB@microsoft.com... > Help please hoe hard can a one word answer be thanks > Reopen wyatt131 wrote: > Help please hoe hard can a one word answer be thanks > ...

macro works in 2k not in xp
I have a macro that works well in Excel 2k but not in Excel xp. The macro use QueryTables to read a web page from a local stock exchange web site. Here is the related part of it: conn1 = "URL;http://www.hkex.com.hk/tradinfo/stockcode/eisdwarr.htm" Get_page (conn1) Sub Get_page(conn) With ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=conn, Destination:=ActiveCell) .Name = "HKEX stock lots" .FieldNames = True .RowNumbers = False .FillAdjacentFormulas = False .PreserveFormatting = False .RefreshOnFileOpen = False .Backgro...

from Excel to MS works ...
I wanted to run an amortization shareware application on my new XP ... but I don't have Excel ...closest is MS Works ... Anyway to make it work? Thanks for any tips ... Best Regards, Joe Hi Joe as you did not post the name of your shareware application - difficult/impossible to say - if this application is a stand-alone package it should work - if it relys on Excel you'll porbably need to buy Excel If this is a shareware application just try it out Frank Joe wrote: > I wanted to run an amortization shareware application on > my new XP ... but I don't have Excel ...c...

Modifying Cases View within Account Window
Here's the problem (as best I can explain it): If you associate multiple Contacts with an Account, and then open Cases for each Contact within the Contact window, the Cases do not show-up in the Account view of the Cases. I.e., you'd think that any Cases opened for Contacts that are related to an Account would also show-up in the Cases view within the Account, but they don't :( Is there a solution to this? It seems almost pointless to associate Contacts with Accounts if the Cases and such for each Contact are not grouped together in the Accounts window :( Sincerely, Todd...

Can I disable the Windows "menu" key?
When my kids, who are young and gave small hands, are playing some (full-screen) games they have a tendency to accidentally knock the Windows "menu" key which minimises or, in the case of some games, locks the game. Does anyone know of a way of disabling the key, for example, from one application and then running another, like the game? The second application could be run by the first rather than after, if that would be easier. Thanks for any help. -- Fenster I think it can be done by using a hook, and stoping the WH_KEYBOARD message. -- --------------------------- Ti...

LAN not auto-connecting on startup wiht windows 7
Hi, I recently reformatted my drive and installed windows 7 on it and I have a problem with the internet. I'm using time warner cable if it makes any difference. The thing is that after login, windows pops up, but it will not auto-connect to the internet. I keep having to start my day by going to the Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections and disable my LAN then enable it. After I do that, it will connect immediately to the net. Whats the fix for this, so it will connect automatically on startup Since nobody knows anything about how you connect to the inte...