Windows logon help

I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now and then,
when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get the flashing cursor
in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to reboot. I wonder why this
happens and whether there is some keystroke combination I can use to allow
me to enter my logon password.

0
JD

JD wrote:
> I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now
> and then, when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get
> the flashing cursor in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to
> reboot. I wonder why this happens and whether there is some
> keystroke combination I can use to allow me to enter my logon
> password.

Not enough information.

Could be anything from a bum driver, bad hardware, slow-to-wake up software,
etc.

Make sure you have the latest hardware device drivers for your computer -
may even want to update the system BIOS to the latest version.  (You would
get all that from the computer manufacturer/hardware manufacturer(s) web
site(s).)

Uninstall any unused software.

What OS do you have?  Windows XP ______ Edition with Service Pack _, __-bit?

What antivirus software do you use?  (Manufacturer and version.)

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
7/24/2010 7:45:49 PM
On 7/24/2010 1:50 PM, JD wrote:
> I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now and then,
> when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get the flashing cursor
> in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to reboot. I wonder why this
> happens and whether there is some keystroke combination I can use to allow
> me to enter my logon password.

I had this issue on my XP box years ago, and noticed that it
went away after I installed a small MS program called "User
Profile Hive Cleanup Service."  I used UPHCS to solve an
unrelated issue, and later noticed that my hang-ups
disappeared.  Perhaps whatever issue that made shutdown
problematic also contributed to the restart problem.  No
guarantee it'll work for you, but it's worth a try.

Aero
0
aeroloose
7/24/2010 8:14:30 PM
"JD" <erehwon@example.com> wrote in message
>I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now and then,
>when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get the flashing
>cursor in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to reboot. I wonder why
>this happens and whether there is some keystroke combination I can use to
>allow me to enter my logon password.

You might find the cursor moves with the shift key and registers in the box
with the space bar; if not you might try ctrl alt del twice (my account is
hidden and that is how I sign in, but it only works once, so if the laptop
is allowed to sleep I too have to restart to get back in: my solution is to
turn off hibernation/sleep)

Spamlet
7/24/2010 9:07:17 PM
OS: Windows XP Home, Version 2002, Service Pack 3
A-V: Microsoft Security Essentials (updated daily)
Everything else works flawlessly.

> JD wrote:
>> I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now
>> and then, when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get
>> the flashing cursor in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to
>> reboot. I wonder why this happens and whether there is some
>> keystroke combination I can use to allow me to enter my logon
>> password.
>
> Not enough information.
>
> Could be anything from a bum driver, bad hardware, slow-to-wake up
> software, etc.
>
> Make sure you have the latest hardware device drivers for your computer -
> may even want to update the system BIOS to the latest version.  (You would
> get all that from the computer manufacturer/hardware manufacturer(s) web
> site(s).)
>
> Uninstall any unused software.
>
> What OS do you have?  Windows XP ______ Edition with Service Pack _,
> __-bit?
>
> What antivirus software do you use?  (Manufacturer and version.)
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

JD
7/24/2010 11:04:22 PM
I used the UPHCS for a long while but after removing Ad-Aware I no longer
needed it. I don't have a shut-down problem now. Just with logging on after
standby.
"aeroloose" <aeroloose@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 7/24/2010 1:50 PM, JD wrote:
>> I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now and
>> then,
>> when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get the flashing
>> cursor
>> in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to reboot. I wonder why this
>> happens and whether there is some keystroke combination I can use to
>> allow
>> me to enter my logon password.
>>

> I had this issue on my XP box years ago, and noticed that it went away
> after I installed a small MS program called "User Profile Hive Cleanup
> Service."  I used UPHCS to solve an unrelated issue, and later noticed
> that my hang-ups disappeared.  Perhaps whatever issue that made shutdown
> problematic also contributed to the restart problem.  No guarantee it'll
> work for you, but it's worth a try.
>
> Aero

0
JD
7/24/2010 11:07:01 PM
I have hibernation turned off, but I do use standby. Normally the welcome
screen reappears immediately and the flashing cursor is in position. It is
only occasionally that I cannot enter my password or get the cursor into the
logon box.
You say "If the laptop is allowed to sleep, I too have to restart to get
back in." I do not have a laptop, but I am wondering whether if the Guest
User allows the computer to go into standby (without logging off), it might
be a "default" Windows behavior to require the Guest User to log back on.
I have tried the shift key, but not the space bar or CtrlAltDel. Thanks for
the input.

"Spamlet" <spam.morespam@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "JD" <erehwon@example.com> wrote in message
>>I boot the the logon screen, with Owner and Guest User. Every now and
>>then, when logged off and awakening from Standby, I cannot get the
>>flashing cursor in the Owner logon box. The only remedy is to reboot. I
>>wonder why this happens and whether there is some keystroke combination I
>>can use to allow me to enter my logon password.
>>

> You might find the cursor moves with the shift key and registers in the
> box with the space bar; if not you might try ctrl alt del twice (my
> account is hidden and that is how I sign in, but it only works once, so if
> the laptop is allowed to sleep I too have to restart to get back in: my
> solution is to turn off hibernation/sleep)

JD
7/24/2010 11:16:15 PM
On 7/24/2010 7:07 PM, JD wrote:
> I used the UPHCS for a long while but after removing Ad-Aware I no longer
> needed it. I don't have a shut-down problem now. Just with logging on after
> standby.

Understood.  It can't hurt to try it again, though.  If no
joy, remove it.

Aero
0
aeroloose

Excel 97 VBA Help File

Window Redirection?

Money and Windows Mobile 5.0 Devices
I've got a new Windows Mobile 5.0 device and have found that the PPC Money client for Money 2005 will not sync to it. From http://www.microsoft.com/money/MoneyForHandHeldDevices.mspx it appears Money 2004-6 will not sync but it doesn't mention anything about Money 2007...but I can't find a Windows Mobile Client for 2007. Is there anyway to get any version of Money to sync to a Windows Mobile 5.0 device? Thanks, Don Not at present, except by using third party software such as SPB Finance/ -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org See http://money.mvps.or...

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Help, I cannot Save!

Couldn't Find c:\windows\system32\system.mdw Message
Loaded Access 97 on my new Vista Machine and got the above message when I tried to start Access. How do I fix this ? Vista has more stringent rules about who, and how you can write to the System32 (or Windows for that matter) folder. If you have another machine with and unsecured system.mdw file try to copy it to your new one. If it lets you, you are fine, if not you'll need to work with someone in a Vista newsgroup to figure out what the problem is. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "JWalker" <JWalker...

Help Required

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Need HELP! for Linking data

Help with Registration

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

HELP! Outlook POP3 problem(s)

Spam Filtering HELP
I recently started a new job, and discovered after day one, that I had inharited a spam mess. Now the previous admin ad installed a Symantic Spam Server Prox which in my opinion, was a complete waste of money as it does not allow for blocking IP addresses. Now here is the question; I am running Exchange 2003, and am looking at setting up the Conection Filter under Message Delivery to block messages based on IP address. The problem is that when I save the IPs to be blocked, I get a message stating that the Connection filter "has to be enabled manually through the specific SMTP virtual serv...

Need macro help to close excel

Help with simple(?) VBA function

If Then Help!!!!
Hi! I'm stuck. I have a working macro but it needs a small tweek. The macro executes a find statement and performs calculations from the find to the end of the column. The problem is when nothing is found. I need an if statement or suggestion on how to tell it to skip the calculations if there is nothing found. This is what I have so far(with no if's): Cells.Find(What:="RIM", After:=ActiveCell, LookIn:=xlFormulas _ , LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlNext, _ MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False).Activate Selection.End(xlToRi...

Odd e-mail duplication problem

Integration Transactions Pls help
Can anyone let me know how much time does the integration manager takes to upload a 10,000 lines(SOP) into GP There are two methods of importing SOP transactions. One uses the SQL optimized adapter and one does not. The method used depends upon the data you would need to map. There are some fields and business logic not available with the SQL adapter. But, assuming you are using the SQL adapter, you should be able to import 10,000 transactions in about 60 minutes or less. If you are using the other one, start it and go home for the night. It will take hours. If you have some reso...