Why I cannot stop Messenger from starting with Windows?

Hi,
I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts" option
in Prefererences tab.
Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
How to remove it?
Claire

0
Claire

See http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm. For Messenger/Outlook
Express tweaks, see  http://kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_oe.htm.

Claire wrote:
> Hi,
> I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts"
> option
> in Prefererences tab.
> Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
> I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
> How to remove it?
> Claire

0
PA
2/16/2010 12:12:35 AM
Claire wrote:
> Hi,
> I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts" option
> in Prefererences tab.
> Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
> I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
> How to remove it?
> Claire

Go into your Outlook Express options and untick "start Windows Messenger
when you boot up Windows" or something similar.

Or, better yet, go to Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs icon/
Windows components button on the left and uncheck Windows Messenger and
hit Next. I would uncheck MSN Explorer while you're there.

Going to Windows components and unchecking Windows messenger, will only
remove it from the start menu, suggest you go to control
panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Scroll to Messenger>Disable

"C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Claire wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts"
>> option in Prefererences tab.
>> Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
>> I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
>> How to remove it?
>> Claire
>
> Go into your Outlook Express options and untick "start Windows Messenger
> when you boot up Windows" or something similar.
>
> Or, better yet, go to Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs icon/ Windows
> components button on the left and uncheck Windows Messenger and hit Next.
> I would uncheck MSN Explorer while you're there.

williamtell
2/16/2010 12:53:18 AM
williamtell wrote:
> Going to Windows components and unchecking Windows messenger, will only
> remove it from the start menu, suggest you go to control
> panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Scroll to Messenger>Disable

When I did it in Windows components it also disabled it in services.

>> WT<
>
> "C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Claire wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts"
>>> option in Prefererences tab.
>>> Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
>>> I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
>>> How to remove it?
>>> Claire
>> Go into your Outlook Express options and untick "start Windows Messenger
>> when you boot up Windows" or something similar.
>>
>> Or, better yet, go to Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs icon/ Windows
>> components button on the left and uncheck Windows Messenger and hit Next.
>> I would uncheck MSN Explorer while you're there.
>>
>> --

I do not see such option in my OE
Claire

"C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
> Claire wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts"
>> option in Prefererences tab.
>> Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
>> I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
>> How to remove it?
>> Claire
>
> Go into your Outlook Express options and untick "start Windows Messenger
> when you boot up Windows" or something similar.
>
> Or, better yet, go to Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs icon/ Windows
> components button on the left and uncheck Windows Messenger and hit Next.
> I would uncheck MSN Explorer while you're there.

Claire
2/16/2010 3:53:49 AM
That's because you've installed WinXP SP3.

But your posts' headers (Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512) tell me the
computer still isn't fully patched at Windows Update.  Better take care of
that ASAP!

Repost in case the newsserver ate my previous reply: See

Claire wrote:
> I do not see such option in my OE
> Claire
>
> "C" <nospamming@please.com.invalid> wrote in message
>> Claire wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have removed tick from "Run Windows Messenger" when Windows starts"
>>> option in Prefererences tab.
>>> Despite that, each time when I start Windows Messenger comes with it.
>>> I checked Run regkey and Messenger is not there.
>>> How to remove it?
>>> Claire
>>
>> Go into your Outlook Express options and untick "start Windows Messenger
>> when you boot up Windows" or something similar.
>>
>> Or, better yet, go to Control Panel/Add and Remove Programs icon/ Windows
>> components button on the left and uncheck Windows Messenger and hit Next.
>> I would uncheck MSN Explorer while you're there.
>>
>> --

PA

Windows 2002 How to put email attachment in the header To/CC/Subj
I have Windows 2002 and lost my settings. I don't want my attachments in the body of the email but want it up in the header. How do you change the settings so attachments are put there instead of the body of the email. Change your message format to HTML or Plain Text; Tools-> Options-> tab Message Format -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "PC" <PC@disc...

How can client window know its parent window become deactive
I am writing a custom ctrl, it will be laid on a dialog or formview. When the dialog or formview, I mean the ctrl's parent window or container, become deactive because such causes as Alt + Tab or Ctrl + Esc, the ctrl beed do somethig to respond to this event In my opinion, it is not a good way to ask the user(the program that use my ctrl) to inform me explicitly such as calling one of my function or sending me message because it is not transparent to user. It seems that there should be a mechanism that allows client window know its parent window become active or deactive Thank you! WM_A...

Dialog Window Handle
Hi, I was wondering how i can get the handle of a dialog so i can use PostMessage to post a message to it from it's parent dialog? Thanks Macca Need a better description of the problem. If the dialog is modal, the question is meaningless, because the parent dialog is effectively suspended until the child dialog returns. If it is a modeless dialog, at the point where you created it, you got a reference to the window, so you can use that to post messages to the child dialog. If you are posting a message to the parent, and need a new value to be sent to the child, the best approach is...

Outlook XP on Windows 2000
Any chance I can get Outlook XP to work on Windows 2000? If yes, anything I should be aware of in installation? It should work fine. If you have time, you might want to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base for known issues between the two, but I can't think of any offhand. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:033401c36c10$154efb00$a401280a@phx.gbl, Karen wrote: > Any chance I can get Outlook XP to work on Windows 2000? > > If ye...

outlook windows X P
Some E-mail dos this " Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC=20 Drivers error '80040e09'=20 [MERANT][ODBC Sybase ASE driver][SQL Server]Incorrect=20 syntax near '=F4'.=20 /commun.asp, line 51=20 Please Help ! ...

How to start the default mail program using Excel VBA? #2
From Excel (using VBA) I want to click a button and start the default mail program installed on the computer. After this I want to prepopulate the TO line in Outlook Express or Outlook (depending on what's installed on the machine) with a few e-mail addresses (stored in my spreadsheet). Any sample code for this please? Thanks in advance Michalakis Michael michalakis_michael@hotmail.com ...

How can I remove a word from the dictionary in Windows Live Mail?
Hello, I made a mistake by adding a word in the dictionary of Windows Live Mail. Now I would like to remove that word, but I don't know how. Can somebody give me an advise? Thanks Anneke (I am dutch) Tools | Options | Spelling | Edit. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Anneke" <geen@mail.nl> wrote in message news:7sj7bcFo5gU1@mid.individual.net... > Hello, > > I made a mistake by adding a word in the dictionary of Windows Live > Mail. > Now I would like to remove that word, but I don...

Word in Office 2000 will not shut down properly when using Windows
I recently upgraded my computer running Windows XP to one operating Windows 7. I had no problem installing Office 2000. It works fine, but Word will not shut down properly when I close the program. I get a dialogue box from Windows saying the program is no longer responding and Windows is searching for a solution. After Windows conducts its search, another dialogue box comes up with a "close program" button. I click that and then it shuts downs. Any help would be appreciated as I do not want to shell out $$$ to update Office 2000 when it otherwise works fine, except for...

Account lookup window #2
Is there anybody using Great PLains experienced the following problem: -One of my client is using Great PLains version 7. One of their user, when looking up for an account in the distribution level of a transaction, the account lookup window displayed is of the version 6. How can we revert it back to version 7 window - account lookup window. This happens so often we put it in our book Confessions of a Dynamics GP Consultant along with 300 other such tips. For those of you that dont have a copy, here is one way to fix this: 1. Open Advanced Security 2. In Options, make sure that...

stop rounding in cell
i want the numbers in my cells to show as they are without being rounded but to show in thousands. I want to maintain integrity. Eg. 97,654 should just show as 97. i don't want it to round up or down. is this possible? Hi Try =INT(A1/1000) but note anything less than 1000 will show as 0. Regards Roger Govier Lady112017 wrote: > i want the numbers in my cells to show as they are without being rounded but > to show in thousands. I want to maintain integrity. Eg. 97,654 should just > show as 97. i don't want it to round up or down. is this possible? Try this formula: ...

Windows 7 update improves graphics performance
There is an optional update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028560 that claims to improve graphics performance. Here is the download link. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=E04DD3BD-C34B-42EF-978B-10B73E7D5BBA&displaylang=en I have had no chance to benchmark it so far. Carlos "Carlos" <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BBB09DA5-F311-4332-AD99-A7803E85FDDD@microsoft.com... > There is an optional update: > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028560 > that claims to improve graphics performance. > Here is th...

microsoft bootstrapper has stopped cant download office
I tried to download new office professional 2007 but the computer keeps coming up microsoft bootstrapper has stopped working and microsoft hasnt come up with an answer yet ...

Windows Service
Hi all, I have SQL Server Agent and under it I've some jobs that runs with a definde schedule (they can run at the same time). SQL Server Agente doesn't belongs to SQL Server Express edition, so I'm lookig for a way to build a such schema with a .net windows service. Let's say I need 10 jobs: 1) it is better to have 10 windows services? 2) it is better to have 1 windows services with 10 threads? in the first case, I need to have 10 different project that installs 10 different services with 10 different name (it is correct?) in the secound case, how can I tell...

Using Windows Service and CRM
Happy Holidays, All! This isn't covered in the SDK, that I can see, but we have a service running that needs to query the CRM database (using the SDK) - but it is running on an application server out side of CRM. We can do this with impersonation, using an existing user in CRM - but the password needs to be hardcoded that way - making it necessary to revisit the applicatin every 90 days... Any other thoughts on how to run a windows service against CRM? Thanks! Kristina Kristina, Ideally (and technically, legally), the service sould have it's own ID. What we've done though i...

Windows media player 12-16-09
I am running windows vista and my windows media player will not open! Was ok a few days ago. Please help! i can not open my window media player it is on my computer but it will not open Did you install anything or make any system changes in the last few days? If you open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, do you see a wmplayer.exe item on the Processes page? If so, select it and click End Process to kill it, and try starting Windows Media Player again. If that doesn't help, find Command Prompt in the Start Menu, right-click it, select Run As Administrator, and type the fo...

Windows error code 80070652
After updating manually, get error 80070652--unknown error encountered Started as 4 updates, 1 failed with error. rebooted same results. x86 Win 7 ultimate, 2 gig ram, Acer Aspire 6920 -- Art Artsr3 wrote: > After updating manually, get error 80070652--unknown error encountered > > Started as 4 updates, 1 failed with error. rebooted same results. > > x86 Win 7 ultimate, 2 gig ram, Acer Aspire 6920 80070652 ERROR_INSTALL_ALREADY_RUNNING Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install. Sinc...

Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again.
OUTLOOK 2000, ERROR MESSAGE: Out of memory or system resources. Close some windows or programs and try again. This happens when creating a new email and clicking on the paperclip button on the outlook bar (inserting an file/attchment). I did a search in the knowledge base for Outlook 2000 but it came up with "When attempting to open an encrypted message ...". It's the same error only I'm trying to insert an attachment not open an encrypted message. I've already tried doing a "Detect and Repair" but that's never seemed to work for any issues my Outlook h...

How to make Windows Live Photo Gallery default?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CB0009.FE96EA40 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How can I in Win7 and Windows Live Mail the Windows Live Photo Gallery = the default for attaching photos, rather than My Documents/My Pictures? ------=_NextPart_000_0013_01CB0009.FE96EA40 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD&g...

Windows 2003 64 bit and memory question
I have a windows 2003 64 bit server with 12 gb ram.. my question is how can I tell if a process , any process is using physical ram and paging file. I have an Oracle.exe that is using 5gb ram.. is that all physical ram or partly paging ram. ...

SSL on Windows 7 devlopment machine
Hello, I'm in the process of moving my development environment to Windows 7 Professional Edition. No problems so far with Visual Studio 2008 Professional edition, SQL Server 2008 Developer edition etc. I'm wondering what the best solution is for installing an SSL certificate on this machine so that I can develop and test secure sites. On my previous machine I used SelfSSL from within the Windows Server Resource Kit and that worked fine. Is that still the recommended solution for Windows 7 / IIS 7.5? Thank you in advance. David "David Jackson" <so...

access window state
Hi guys (and girls) I'm having this problem with access. I dont know how to chage the size of access window form my visual basic NET application. This one person a while ago gave me advice to use some windows api function like: Declare Function apiMoveWindow Lib "user32" Alias "MoveWindow" _ (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal x As Long, ByVal y As Long, ByVal _ nWidth As Long, ByVal nHeight As Long, ByVal bRepaint As Long) _ As Long but it doesnt seems that it works right... like x is actually setting y of window and y is actually th...

[Fwd: Re: New computer. Newer version of Windows. Printing color Differences]
FYI Do you really print on monitor? I don't! Your assumption is way out of kilter! hth JoAnn Paules wrote: > > New computer - new monitor I assume? > > http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-Your-Monitor > > -- > JoAnn Paules > MVP Microsoft [Publisher] > Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" > > "Reddawg2566" <Reddawg2566@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message > news:AB9C9A32-5EEA-4A24-92C6-BBB2426E3552@microsoft.com... > >I just bought a new computer with Windows 7 a...

Copy and paste web pages containing images has stopped working
I just get red X's where the images should be. Win XP SP3 fully patched WLM 14.0.8089.0726. Default email is Gmail using IMAP. I'm not sure what has changed but this was working quite recently. I can't see a setting anywhere that might have indadvetrently blocked images. Tools (ALT+T), Safety Options, Security, Block Images. -- Mike - http://TechHelp.Santovec.us "NewWorldMan" <NewWorldMan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDD22221-6094-4CD3-9CD5-4235DBA3DCAA@microsoft.com... > I just get red X's where the images ...

Exchange 2000 IS Service and MTA Service wont start, HELP!
I had a problem with my Exchange server being able to see into our domain, and MS Docs said the way to fix this was the Reset Default Security Policy tool, we ran it and exchange saw the domain just fine now. 20 mins after the server worked, it booted all the clients off the exchange server, so we restarted it. after the restart, it just kept saying the Information store service and MTA stack service were "starting" but after 20 mins, they were stopped. I'm at my wits end and these services wont start and i need to get this server back up and running, please help! Anythi...

Windows mail syncronization with other mail server
I recently configured windows mail and configured it for synconization with t-online mailserver. Standard configuration was that the mails on the other mailserver will be deleted after 5 days. However, all incoming mails on my t-online mailserver have been deleted immediately after they were transfered to windows mail. Questions: 1. who is responsible for that? 2. How can I get the mails back to my t-online mailserver? Is there another computer or device (smartphone?) checking that same mail account? Other than that, I don't know what might cause that. Try unchecking the '...