What's this web page feature called?

On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.

http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277

Or

www.yahoo.com

which takes you to the first link.

What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE 8.
No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has enough
page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.

0
JoeSpareBedroom

This group deals with Windows XP issues, the internetexplorer.general group
would be a better place to ask.

"JoeSpareBedroom" <newstrash@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
> Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.
>
> http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277
>
> Or
>
> www.yahoo.com
>
> which takes you to the first link.
>
> What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE
> 8. No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has
> enough page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.

0
David
11/16/2009 7:35:40 PM
That's what I thought, which is why I recommended it to a friend who's got
the same question. He hasn't recieved a definitive answer. And I'm not
looking for help with IE. I'm simply looking for the name of the web feature
which creates the floating "windows". Once I have that bit of terminology, I
can search for a way to block it, if it exists.

Do you know the name of that web feature? It's not specific to IE8.

"David B." <mail@nomail.net> wrote in message
> This group deals with Windows XP issues, the internetexplorer.general
> group would be a better place to ask.

> "JoeSpareBedroom" <newstrash@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
>> On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
>> Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.
>>
>> http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277
>>
>> Or
>>
>> www.yahoo.com
>>
>> which takes you to the first link.
>>
>> What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE
>> 8. No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has
>> enough page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.

0
JoeSpareBedroom
11/16/2009 9:56:22 PM
On 11/16/2009 9:44 AM On a whim, JoeSpareBedroom pounded out on the keyboard

> On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
> Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.
>
> http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277
>
> Or
>
> www.yahoo.com
>
> which takes you to the first link.
>
> What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE 8.
> No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has enough
> page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.

Other than the site heavily using Javascript, I don't know what else you
might be referring to.

I use Firefox and the NoScript add-on.  When I went to the site the menu
bar is prevented from working.

If IE offers an option or add-on to disable JS by site, this will solve
your issue.

Terry R.
Terry
11/16/2009 11:12:08 PM
"Terry R." <F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com> wrote in message
> On 11/16/2009 9:44 AM On a whim, JoeSpareBedroom pounded out on the
> keyboard
>
>> On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
>> Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.
>>
>> http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277
>>
>> Or
>>
>> www.yahoo.com
>>
>> which takes you to the first link.
>>
>> What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE
>> 8.
>> No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has
>> enough
>> page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.
>>

> Other than the site heavily using Javascript, I don't know what else you
> might be referring to.
>
> I use Firefox and the NoScript add-on.  When I went to the site the menu
> bar is prevented from working.
>
> If IE offers an option or add-on to disable JS by site, this will solve
> your issue.
>

> Terry R.

In IE, can you still click on the JS-disabled menu the normal way, or is it
totally dead at that point?

0
JoeSpareBedroom
11/16/2009 11:20:04 PM
On 11/16/2009 3:20 PM On a whim, JoeSpareBedroom pounded out on the keyboard

> "Terry R."<F1Com@NOSPAMpobox.com>  wrote in message
>> On 11/16/2009 9:44 AM On a whim, JoeSpareBedroom pounded out on the
>> keyboard
>>
>>> On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
>>> Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.
>>>
>>> http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277
>>>
>>> Or
>>>
>>> www.yahoo.com
>>>
>>> which takes you to the first link.
>>>
>>> What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE
>>> 8.
>>> No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has
>>> enough
>>> page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.
>>>

>> Other than the site heavily using Javascript, I don't know what else you
>> might be referring to.
>>
>> I use Firefox and the NoScript add-on.  When I went to the site the menu
>> bar is prevented from working.
>>
>> If IE offers an option or add-on to disable JS by site, this will solve
>> your issue.
>>

>> Terry R.
>

> In IE, can you still click on the JS-disabled menu the normal way, or is it
> totally dead at that point?

Not using IE, but in FF the links still work, only the expandable
windows no longer pop out.

Terry R.
Terry
11/17/2009 12:30:16 AM
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
> On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My
> Favorites" list, a floating window opens up.
>
> http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277
>
> Or
>
> www.yahoo.com
>
> which takes you to the first link.
>
> What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE 8.
> No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has enough
> page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary.

Generically, "mouseover."

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem

Changing page orientation
Can ANYONE tell me how to change the page orientation in a publication? I need several of the pages in my document to display in the landscape format. HELP Hi Danni (dfishel@eocr-inc.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || Can ANYONE tell me how to change the page orientation in a || publication? I need several of the pages in my document to display || in the landscape format. HELP Sorry Danni, but that is not an option. Workarounds: 1. Have two publications - one for the portrait pages, one for the landscape pages 2. Rotate all objects 90 degrees on the portrait page (you can select all ...

adding multiple pages for a publisher e-newsletter/e-announcement
Lately I have been creating e-newsletter publications in publisher 2003 and so far they have all been a single page. Now, I need more room and was wondering if all I have to do is insert a page. Will all pages show up in an email of the publication or just the first page? (The computer i'm on right now won't allow me to send a publication as an email message, so I can't really check). Does anybody know how sending a multiple page publication as an email message work? lanosh wrote: > Lately I have been creating e-newsletter publications in publisher 2003 and > so fa...

Missing "Edit Page" under "Site Actions"
I am using WSS3.0 with Project Server 2007. Both apps are patched with sp2 and Feb CU. On each of my pages, while logged in as the site administrator, the "Edit Page" option does not appear in the "Site Actions" drop down menu. The only option I have is Site Settings. I verified that I am listed as a site collection Admin, is there anywhere else i should look? ------=_NextPart_0001_7C71EB48 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Edit page option will be disabled on any page when another user has checked-out that particular pa...

Problem attempting to use "Send To" feature
I have a user who's getting a problem when attempting to use the Send T Mail Recipient (as Attachment) feature of Excel 2000. Sometimes it will generate an "Interface Not Registered" error sometimes Excel will just hang (able to End Task on it). When attempting to use the same feature in Word, the following erro occurs: "Word couldn't send mail because of MAPI failure: "Unspecifie error"." MS Outlook is the default email program, and we're running Exchange McAfee is our virus program. I've ran System File Checker, full Windows Updated her workstat...

Excel XP: Page Setup Issue
How can I create different page setup options for each worksheet in a workbook? As I change the page setup within one worksheet it changes all of them. Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something obvious Thanks in advance Joe Mathis "Joe Mathis" <jmathis@designworkshop.com> wrote in message news:845FBE98-1D78-49BD-865A-6B3A397A41B9@microsoft.com... > How can I create different page setup options for each worksheet in a workbook? As I change the page setup within one worksheet it changes all of them. Is there a way to do this? Am I missing something obvious? > >...

Secure Call Center Tracking
I'm looking to use MS CRM to track our members and what contacts we have with them. One of our departments operates a call center for Health Insurance question. They often deal with HIPAA covered info. I was hoping to add a checkbox labeled "secure", that if checked, restricts all access to just this particular group. Is this possible? Is there a better way? Should I just create a custom entity for call tracking and restrict access to that entity to just their team? Thanks! Doug Evans IT Manager Association of Washington Cities Doug - Yes, it is possible with the ch...

Getting 2nd page of a .PDF file
I have a .pdf file that has 2 pages....I can get the first page using the Insert Object and selecting the Adobe file....It always gives me only the first page... thanks dave Delete the first page of the PDF after you insert it. You cannot reverse this action in Acrobat. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "dave schurr" <daveschurr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22B75E6C-913B-417D-99E8-28CE823EDA42@microsoft.com... >I have a .pdf file that has 2 pages....I can get the first page u...

Re: Account Won't Show Up on Home Page as a Favorite
For some reason this message appears to have been deleted from the server. I'm reposting it. Kevin "Kevin Campbell" <kcampbel@nospam.midmaine.com> wrote in message news:... > I have a Home Equity Line of Credit account that, for some reason, will not > show up on my list of favorite accounts on the Home page in Money 2003. In > the account details I have the Add to Favorites checkbox checked and under > the Favorite Accounts menu item it does show up. Also, when I am in the > account register view and I click on the account name to drop the list of > ac...

Web-based Outlook bug: Cannot open mail when the subject field ends with a . (dot) character
From web-based Outlook, you cannot open any mail with the subject field ends with "." (dot) character. Outlook web will return HTTP 404: The page cannot be found. You might want to post this in an exchange group as Outlook Web Access is actually a function of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.admin is a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.grou...

VBA calling sp with ANSI_NULLS set ON
Hi, On Query Analyzer, I created a sp as follow: > > if exists (select * from dbo.sysobjects where id = object_id(N'dbo.PCS_SEG1') and OBJECTPROPERTY(id, N'IsProcedure')= 1) DROP PROCEDURE dbo.PCS_SEG1 GO CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.PCS_SEG1 as set ANSI_NULLS on set ANSI_WARNINGS on ** sql statement *** > > I need the to set ANSI_NULLS and ANSI_WARNINGS on as it involves another server using linked server. When executing the sp from query analyzer, it works fine too: > exec PCS_SEG1 > But, when I called from VBA, I received error: Heterogeneous queries require t...

Disabling the open other user's folder feature
We are using Exchange 2003 and have notied that there is a "feature" that allows any user to open another user's folder without having to grant permissions for this. I mean any user can pull over any other user's inbox contents or calendar contents. For us, a financial institution, this is a huge security risk. Even after using an explicit deny permission on a user mailbox we are still able to access the inbox from the denied account. Microsoft has little on their knowledge base about this except to say that, for some insane reason, administrators are denied from ...

Workflow Call Assembly to add Date or Time
I cannot get a very simple workflow to work. All I want it to do is update a datetime field to add one month! Workflow monitor says it completed, but it has never worked... Has anyone ever been able to make this work? On 26 Mar, 18:54, "DubSport" <jamie.carmich...@cmgl.ca> wrote: > I cannot get a very simple workflow to work. All I want it to do is > update a datetime field to add one month! Workflow monitor says it > completed, but it has never worked... Has anyone ever been able to > make this work? Show your workflow rule OK here it is. its a manual rule, s...

Print a Poster as an A4 page
Hi, can anyone tell me how to print a poster publication on just one A4 size sheet? Thank you. Pippy <Pippy@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Hi, can anyone tell me how to print a poster publication on just one > A4 size sheet? Download and install PrimoPDF from www.primopdf.com. Set the paper size in the PrimoPDF driver (File > Page Setup > Printer and Paper > Properties) to the size of your poster. Set the Page Size in Publisher to Full Page. Print to the PrimoPDF printer. You will get a PDF file of one page containing the entire of you...

inserting/merging pages
Trying to find out how I can add (2) 5.5W X 8.5H pages on 1 file with (2) 8.5W X 8.5H pages on a different file? All have the same background. I can not insert new page from page 2 that is 8.5X8.5 because it will be the same size and it does not let me make changes in page setup. Hence the reason I created pages 3 & 4 in a new file. ...

asp.net page with framework 2.0 andajax
I initially made an ASP.NET page and after I added AJAX code by entering the page is the initial declaration <% @ Register Assembly = "System.Web.Extensions, Version = 1.0.61025.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = 31bf3856ad364e35 " Namespace = "System.Web.UI" TagPrefix = "asp"%> then I have write the ScriptManager in this page. In the web.config page i have write the tag <add assembly = "System.Web.Extensions, Version = 1.0.61025.0, Culture = neutral, PublicKeyToken = 31bf3856ad364e35 "/></ assemblies>. Now w...

Web access to Outlook 2002?
Hi all Is this possible? I have a PC which runs Windows 2000 Pro and Outlook 2002. Outlook has about 5 years worth of emails. It also downloads email from numerous ISPs and has rules which puts emails into various folders. I want to be able to access my Outlook emails which are stored on this pc from the Internet. So, I'm looking for a programme which will allow me Web access via a browser interface to the emails on my pc and also have, ideally, SSL certificates for security. I don't want to replace Outlook, nor use MS Exchange. Thanks -- To reply, take NOSPAM out of my email addr...

Web Ports? CRM, default site? Exchange?
Mucho perplexed here! Microsoft recommends CRM being the only site set to port 80. In order to to this I have to change the other sites... If I change my default site port I cannot access exchange in my browser. If I change my comapany web port the links don't work anymore... If I change the CRM website port the host header stops working... Does anyone have a recommendation for this type of situation? And why does CRM need it's own port? When people host multiple websites do they really need a different port for each? Thanks ahead of time for any help! On version 1.2 Micro...

How do I delete pages in Excel? Keeps printing blank pages at end.
I'm printing charts in Excel. Some of them are adding blank pages at the end of the charts. How do I get rid of these? Several ways: 1) Change the location of the chart to have its own sheet. Do this by right clicking the chart, go to "Location" and putting it on it's own sheet. Then you should be able to print it by itself without any white stuff. 2) Make sure that the page breaks are defined well. Go to View -> Page Break Preview . From there, you can move around the blue lines to determine your page breaks. Then, when you're printing it, make sure that you c...

Purchase orders
Is there any way to have purchase orders print size matrixe horizontally instead of vertically? I can place an order for fiv style of shoes and the PO will be four pages long because of th large number of different sizes in the matrix. If the size matri could print horizontally, the PO would be about a third of a singl page. I'm talking about Quicksell. But what about RMS also? Do you need t buy a third party program for another $1,000 to make this happen ...

RSS feed page gives script error
I get the following error when clicking on the RSS item in Outlook 2007. Does anyone know what it means and how I can get rid of it? An error has occurred in the script of this page. Line 16 Char 1 Error Object expected Code 0 Url http://office.microsoft.com/client/outloorss.aspx?ns=OUTLOOK&lcid=1033 Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes No Thank you for any help you can give me! It's actually a failure on the page and not within Outlook. You can disable the page though or set it to another address if you like. To do this; Right click on...

Is there a simlpe SOAP -> method call example that doesn't use any transports, etc.?
I have not had any luck searching for a simple, simple example that calls a method on an object given a SOAP string. Here's what I'm looking for (in pseudocode): string SOAPCall = "bla bla bla"; // SOAP method invocation XML string SOAPResponse; MyObject x = new MyObject(); // and here's where I don't know what to do /* call the method on x as specified in SOAPCall and get the output into SOAPResponse. */ Can anyone be of any assistance? Thank you! "Nimai Malle" <nimai_malle@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:7ace219f.0408200729.29ba1498@posting....

Copying Multiple Pages
I was wondering if you can copy multiple pages of a Publisher document (Office 2003) at the same time and paste them into another document / or merge two documents together. Many thanks for your time Open the Office clipboard from the Edit menu, you will be able to collect 24 items. Be aware if your text boxes are linked you will not get the paste you want. Break the link, all the text will be shifted to the first text box even though you will not be able to see all of it. Create new text boxes in your new publication, link them again. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microso...

Async calls to WebService in MFC
Hey guys, I use a webservice over the net which is scripted in VB.Net. This web service receives a username and a password and returns a string structure with multiples infos. If the string is empty, I had the wrong username and/or password. Pretty simple isn't? Ok now the problem is a bit more complex. I'm using an MFC client to connect to these web services, and since they're on the internet, there's a delay between sending the data and receiving an answer. I don't know really how I can tell me client to "wait for the string". The wrapper MFC created for the w...

What's this web page feature called?
On the yahoo home page, if the mouse pointer hovers over items in the "My Favorites" list, a floating window opens up. http://m.www.yahoo.com/?r0=1258393277 Or www.yahoo.com which takes you to the first link. What's that feature called? I'm trying to find a way to disable it in IE 8. No clear responses since yesterday. I'm hoping maybe someone here has enough page design knowledge to just provide a bit of vocabulary. This group deals with Windows XP issues, the internetexplorer.general group would be a better place to ask. -- -- &qu...

Problem closing CDialog calling OnOK..
I am creating a dialog based program (using MFC VC3). Apart from the mainscreen I want each dialog to close on clicking the next button to progress to the next screen. I am using OnOK() which SEEMS to be closing the dialog but isn't isnfact being removed from memory, this is causing a problem when I go back and forth from the dialogs (admittedly more times that I would hope a user would). This causes a stack overrun and crashes my program.. Is there a way to properly close the dialog? I have tried EndDialog and DestroyWindow to no avail... Thanks for any help... Kay > I am using ...