Volume shadow copy -- OK to disable?

I was doing a defrag and it kept stopping because of a conflict with
the Volume Shadow Copy service. A quick Internet search turned up a
site that recommended disabling the Volume Shadow Copy while defrag is
running.

http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Defragmenting-pauses-volume-shadow-copy-ftopict212207.htm

I did and that fixed the problem.

The site said to leave it disabled if I don't need it. It didn't say
how I could tell if I need it.

I left it disabled and everything seems to be working OK.

How can I tell if I can leave it disabled or if I need to reenable it?
0
Prof

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=what+is+the+purpose+of+volume+shadow+copy&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&oq=purpose+of+volume&gs_rfai=CsSZ7RbFaTNi2LJKKNqvJ2OsGAAAAqgQFT9C64zc&pbx=1&fp=d9804d37b84b33a1

Prof Wonmug wrote:

> I was doing a defrag and it kept stopping because of a conflict with
> the Volume Shadow Copy service. A quick Internet search turned up a
> site that recommended disabling the Volume Shadow Copy while defrag is
> running.
>
> http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Defragmenting-pauses-volume-shadow-copy-ftopict212207.htm
>
> I did and that fixed the problem.
>
> The site said to leave it disabled if I don't need it. It didn't say
> how I could tell if I need it.
>
> I left it disabled and everything seems to be working OK.
>
> How can I tell if I can leave it disabled or if I need to reenable it?

0
Bob
8/5/2010 12:51:51 PM
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:51:51 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=what+is+the+purpose+of+volume+shadow+copy&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&oq=purpose+of+volume&gs_rfai=CsSZ7RbFaTNi2LJKKNqvJ2OsGAAAAqgQFT9C64zc&pbx=1&fp=d9804d37b84b33a1

I already did that, you little twit. I didn't understand all of the
implications, so I was asking if anyone with more knowledge could
offer an opinion. Instead, I get you, who obviously knows nothing and
has nothing useful to contribute. So fuck off.
-1
Prof

Copy a currency value from one control to another
I have a text box (called ExtendedCost), that has a sum statement in it. I want to copy the value on the exit control event to another text box control (called WithdrawlAmount) on the same form and write the value into WithdrawlAmount box on the Enter Event for the control box, so people don't have to input the same number into the control box. Is there an easy way to do this? If it's the same calculated value, just use the same expression. Generally, don't store calculated values. Just perform the calculation as needed. If you need more help with this, describ...

OK to retain a printer DC?
I've been programming since the days when Device Contexts were a scarce commodity, and you always had to delete them when you'd finished using them, and I still do that. But for reasons that I won't go into, my application needs a printer DC every time I paint. Usually that is not a problem, but one user has recently complained that when he uses a given printer, the application becomes sluggish - it seems that for some reason, getting a CD for his printer is really slow. So, I am now thinking about creating a printer DC at startup and re-using it every time I paint. My...

Copy one Column Across One Row
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea Kevin If the column contains no more than 255 rows of data(256 if you are pasting below row 256) you can copy it and select B1 and Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:23:46 -0700, <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote: >Hey guys, > &g...

Formula copying from one workbook to another...
Hello Excel community friends. Here's my problem: I trying to copy a formula from a worksheet in one workbook to a worksheet (of the same name and same cell location) in another workbook. Say the formula from workbook1/worksheet1 is =sum(1+1) and the name of workbook1 is "Me" and the name of the worksheet1 is "Sheet1" and located in cell A1. Of course, when you copy the formula from "Me" to another workbook (named, say, "You") and to the same location (A1) and on the same named worksheet, "Sheet1", the preface of the formula is s...

recieve copy back that e-mail recieved and opened
i want to reive a meggeg back that e-mail has been recieved and opened ...

Copying records from one (sub)form to another subform using Append
I have a mainform with products (and thier details) from a products table and a subform showing ingredients (from an ingredients table). I wish to select existing ingredient records from one subform and copy them to so that they appear as ingredients in a new Mainform. I have a selection box next to each of the ingredients to enable selection but how do I "copy" these selections to the new record on the new mainform. Do I use an append query to do this? Any guidance on doing this would be great (not too experienced in this area). Many Thanks On Tue, 9 Feb 2010...

Multiple Copies of Messages!
In just the last week or so, my Outlook (2002, running in WinXP Pro) has started (1) sending as many as 6 copies to the recipients of some of my emails, and (2) sometimes putting 3-4 copies of incoming messages into my Inbox. It's starting to drive me crazy, and is a cause of constant apologies to friends, clients, etc. Not good. Any ideas anyone? I, too, noticed several copies of sent messages in my Outlook 2002 Sent Items folder dating back a couple of months. I didn't receive any comments from receipents, so I don't know that they received duplicates. It hasn't ...

Error message with copying sheet to another workbook
I always encounter an error message when i copy a sheet from one workbook to another workbook. The error message is as below: ================ A formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name '____123graph_A', which already exists on the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name? - to use the name as defined in the destination sheet, click Yes - to rename the range referred to the formula or worksheet, click No, and enter a new name in the Name Conflict dialog box. ================ I have tried to click No and enter a new Name, but afterward...

How do I find a copy of Publisher 2002?
Hi, I am looking to order a new copy of Publisher 2002. I have a new project that my client wants to do on Publisher. I have not yet upgraded to XP and am still on Windows 98, so Publisher 2003 won't work on my (yes I know) outdated computer. How can I find a new copy of Publisher 2002 which will work on 98? I'm uncomfortable ordering from some of the unknown sites that come up in a google search. Any suggestions? Ebay? Or you could try Sams Club, BJs, or Costco. They may have some older software. We have a buyout company called Ollies in this are. (Their motto is "G...

A macro that copies entire worksheet to another
Hi- Can anybody help me with a macro that copies an entire worksheet to another (or creates a new worksheet named by a value in a cell)? I plan to use a push button to copy this data. I'd appreciate any help - Jim Ayers Hi Jim, Why don't you revert the easiest and the most illustrative method of writing a macro (and learning how to write a macro) by using the macro recording facility? There may be slight changes depending on your Excel version, but generally you click Tools --> Macro --> Record New Macro, then mimic exactly what you want to happen, stopping recording a...

Excel---Copying text from one cell a a sheet to another cell on a
I know this will sound stupid but, I cannot get TEXT that I type in one cell on sheet 1 to show up in a cell on sheet 15. Aby help?? If the cell on the 1st sheet is A1, in the cell on Sheet15, you put the formula =Sheet1!A1 On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 19:33:01 -0700, "Reeezzzy" <Reeezzzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know this will sound stupid but, I cannot get TEXT that I type in one cell >on sheet 1 to show up in a cell on sheet 15. Aby help?? ...

Autofill Is Copying Instead
Using Excel 2000 on networked Windows 2000 OS, problem is with a shared workbook that several people use. I have a series of consecutive numbers in a column, and when I selected the last two and pulled down the handle as I always do to autofill the next several rows, Excel copied the number from the top selected cell instead. I have never had a problem before. I DID recently change the column's format from number to text, because they are check numbers and no calculations are done on them, and we sometimes use alpha characters when we don't know the check number at the tim...

Copying and adjusting formulas
Hi Firstly thanks for many tips picked up in this ng - I've learnt a lot. Copying and adjusting formulas 26 sheet workbook (Excel 2000) with a sheet for each weeks figures broken down departmentally and totalled for the week. From sheet 2 onwards the sheet has year to date being current weeks figures + previous year to date. This was originally in .123 and as you copied from one sheet to other sheets the formula adjusted the sheet name - in Excel it keeps the formula without adjustment. I find this weird (and very long winded as each sheets formula will need changing). Am I missin...

automating data copy from dynamic invoice to single spreadsheet
Hi - I am a newbie vis-a-vis VBA. I am trying to copy data off of an invoice (that keeps changing every day) to a single spreadsheet. So far, I have used the following code: Sub CopyCells() Dim rngData As Range, rngDest As Range Dim i, j As Integer Set rngData = Sheets("Invoice").Range("A16:g35") Set rngDest = Sheets("InvData").Range("A1").End(xlDown).Offset(1, 0) For i = 1 To rngData.Rows.Count If rngData.Cells(i, 1) <> "" Then rngDest.Offset(j, 0).Value = Sheets("Invoice")....

Bug: (MFC 7.1) Paste into CRichEditView copied from other RichEdit control
Recently, I was helping someone figure out a problem in an MFC application recently upgraded to VC 7.1 (MFC 7.1) from VC 6.0 (MFC 6.0). While running on Windows XP, if you copied text from another CRichEditCtrl, CRichEditView, or another application using RichEdit like WordPad or Word, pasting what you've copied into a CRichEditView would paste nothing. When googling to try to find clues, most of the time there was either no response to the question, or the work around was to change the "copy" end that you controlled, and only put CF_TEXT on the clipboard. However, it ...

help with Disabled code please
Hello All ! Was just wondering if someone can help me with a little code. I know bits of what I want to do but getting a bit confused... Basically I have two forms, on one form is a button that opens up the second form using... On_Click DoCmd.OpenForm "Jobs", , , , acFormAdd what I would also like it to do is from that button only that when the second form opens certain buttons and combos are disabled. I want this to only happen from the button and not if the 2nd form is opened on its own without the 1st form. Im guessing that I need to add additional code to the on click part ...

Force disable of power management on network card?
Hello! I have a few XP Pro SP3 computers on an ancient SBS 2000 domain and I am trying to prevent the workstations from EVER going to sleep or turning off the NIC so that they can be accessed remotely at any time. I cannot find a group policy to disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device..." setting. I have "powercfg /hibernate off" in the login script to prevent hibernation. I also need to stop all NICs from going to sleep. I can uncheck the boxes to not allow them to be put to sleep, but something re-enables that feature within a few minutes...

cant copy this items
pls help as i cant copy messsage from one folder to another,TQ ...

deleting a record after copying data
I currently have code in a form called workorders to execute after update to copy data over to a new form called Closed_Workorders. using two different tables (tasks and closed tasks) How do I write the code to delete the record once it is copied. "Thanks for your Support" Here is the code: Private Sub Status_AfterUpdate() If Status = "Completed" Then Dim StDocName As String Dim StDocnbr As String StDocName = "Completed_WorkOrders" StDocnbr = [Log_Number] DoCmd.OpenForm StDocName DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Forms![Completed_WorkOrders]...

VBA-code for search,copy and paste
My sheet 1 col A values are unique values.Match sheet names from(sheet2) from these col A values of sheet1 copy that row values(from row2) and paste into the sheet 2 last row ...

Excel VBA
So I am fairly new to Visual Basic, but am fluent in C++ and Perl (just so you know some of my background to help me haha) I am am currently trying to write a VB script in excel to fill out approx.700 cover sheets that have been provided for me (i.e. I can't change the location of the cells, or add any more). As of right now, I have about 20 clients that need this done for them. Each client has a csv file with the appropriate data. However, each files contains multiple permits, and each permit needs a coversheet ( as in for each client file, anywhere from 5 to 100 coversheets m...

Copying range format and formulae without data
I want to set up a macro that copies a range to a new range, copying formulae and cell formats, but ignoring raw data existing in the range copied from. In other words I'm expanding a blank copy for a new period. One way would be to name a blank copy in a range elsewhere and copy it in at the cursor, but for various reasons I'd prefer not to do it that way this time. I have made a 2 stage copy procedure, using the "Paste Special" Alt ESF and Alt EST routines, but this process also copies raw data, presumably seeing the data as a label, even although I have formatted the...

Copy Microsoft Outlook Calendar folder
Hi! I've just set up an Excahnge Server infrastructure. On my client desktop, I have Microsoft Outlook 2003 instaled. I wish to move all the items of the Microsoft Outlook Calendar folder still in the Personal Folder (old POP e-mail account) to the new Calendar folder in the Microsoft Exchange Server account. Is there an easy way to do that? The right-click copy Calendar option creates a new calendar folder named Calendar1 and I wish to have the items in the "real" Exchange Server account Calendar folder. Help appreciated. Nicolas Nicolas Macarez wrote: > I wish to ...

copying calendar from one drive to another
Hi wonder if anyone can help? I installed a new drive and had the old drive as a slave. The new drive is fine and boots up no problem, the old drive if I make that one boot up in DOS won't. I need to copy the calendar files from the old drive to the new one for Outlook but I don't know where they are stored, can anyone help me please? Paul -- Paul Robinson Your calendar data, as well as messages, tasks, notes, contacts, etc. are stored in a file with a .PST extension. Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.co...

Why Does My Form Copy Values From My Lookup Box To The Other Recor
Hi - I am using Access 2003, and am not very familiar with Access or its terminology. I am not at all familiar with VB. I created a form from a query, and everything is generally working fine. One of the fields on the form is based on a lookup table for location. I have assigned a default value of 1 (which translates to NOT CHOSEN), and that's how everything shows up when I go into the form. I assigned the default both in the originating table and in the box on the form itself. However, when I change the first record to a different value (say, 2 which translates to QUEE...