Volume shadow copy -- OK to disable?

I was doing a defrag and it kept stopping because of a conflict with
the Volume Shadow Copy service. A quick Internet search turned up a
site that recommended disabling the Volume Shadow Copy while defrag is
running.

http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Defragmenting-pauses-volume-shadow-copy-ftopict212207.htm

I did and that fixed the problem.

The site said to leave it disabled if I don't need it. It didn't say
how I could tell if I need it.

I left it disabled and everything seems to be working OK.

How can I tell if I can leave it disabled or if I need to reenable it?
0
Prof

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=what+is+the+purpose+of+volume+shadow+copy&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&oq=purpose+of+volume&gs_rfai=CsSZ7RbFaTNi2LJKKNqvJ2OsGAAAAqgQFT9C64zc&pbx=1&fp=d9804d37b84b33a1

Prof Wonmug wrote:

> I was doing a defrag and it kept stopping because of a conflict with
> the Volume Shadow Copy service. A quick Internet search turned up a
> site that recommended disabling the Volume Shadow Copy while defrag is
> running.
>
> http://forum.soft32.com/win4/Defragmenting-pauses-volume-shadow-copy-ftopict212207.htm
>
> I did and that fixed the problem.
>
> The site said to leave it disabled if I don't need it. It didn't say
> how I could tell if I need it.
>
> I left it disabled and everything seems to be working OK.
>
> How can I tell if I can leave it disabled or if I need to reenable it?

0
Bob
8/5/2010 12:51:51 PM
On Thu, 05 Aug 2010 07:51:51 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=what+is+the+purpose+of+volume+shadow+copy&aq=1m&aqi=g1g-m1&aql=&oq=purpose+of+volume&gs_rfai=CsSZ7RbFaTNi2LJKKNqvJ2OsGAAAAqgQFT9C64zc&pbx=1&fp=d9804d37b84b33a1

I already did that, you little twit. I didn't understand all of the
implications, so I was asking if anyone with more knowledge could
offer an opinion. Instead, I get you, who obviously knows nothing and
has nothing useful to contribute. So fuck off.
-1
Prof

is it possible to default show "more detail" during files copy.
as the topic. I hope windows 7 always display the detail information of files copy. is it possible? and how to do that? Thanks. On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 03:00:03 -0700, huangwl wrote: > as the topic. > > I hope windows 7 always display the detail information of files copy. > is it possible? and how to do that? > > Thanks. Use robocopy.exe from a command prompt or from one of the GUI interfaces available for it. -- Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch) ...

Copy from one workbook to another failing
I have copied this code pretty much entirely from another post but it throws up Run time error 9 subscript out of range'. Can anyone help? Thanks Public Sub ImportData() Dim myFilename As Variant Dim importbook As Workbook Dim mainbook As Workbook MsgBox "Please select the Do Not Trace workbook you wish to import." myFilename = Application.GetOpenFilename("Excel Files (*.xls), *.xls") 'launches prompt to select import file Set mainbook = ActiveWorkbook Set importbook = Workbooks.Open(Filename:=myFilename) 'sets variable to be workbook...

copy a pdf graph into a word document
I'm trying to copy and paste a graph from a pdf document into a Word document. My operating system is Windows Vista. I've tried to print from the pdf document but nothing happens. I have several graphs that I need and don't want to have to copy them all out by hand. Any help would be most gratefully accepted. My email address is: hokokeha@hotmail.com Thanks in advance Hi, BernieMurray, Is the real problem that you are unable to print the PDF? Are you using Word to try to work around that problem? -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so a...

Prevent users from copying worksheets
CAN'T SEEM TO PREVENT USERS FROM COPYING A PROTECTED WORKSHEET AND THEREFORE UNPROTECTING IT AND HAVING ACCESS TO EVERYTHING ON THE WORKSHEET. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! Excel 2003 has a much better protection control. I had people here trying to do the same but nolonger get around the locks that way -- Trimmer "LISACOMOP" wrote: > CAN'T SEEM TO PREVENT USERS FROM COPYING A PROTECTED WORKSHEET AND THEREFORE > UNPROTECTING IT AND HAVING ACCESS TO EVERYTHING ON THE WORKSHEET. SOMEONE > PLEASE HELP! Hi Select "Hidden" in addition to "Locked"...

Copy macro enabled button to another file
Greetings, I set up a macro-enabled button on one file(say A file). I would like to copy the button to another file(say B file). I find that I can copy the VBA module from VBA editor. However, when the button was copied to the B file, the macro on the button has the name of "A.xls!macro_name". Then I have to delete "A.xls!" for the macro. Can I just copy the macro name only, but not the previos file name that the macro came from? I would like to use that button to more than 200 files... It would be a lot of work to change the macro name... Thanks ...

Disable cut/copy of shape and images in excel 2007
Hi all, I hope you can help me with this problem (I surfed a lot on the web but I couldn't find anything about it): I have to disable cut copy and paste in excel 2007 file expecially for images and shapes objects. for istance, I want the user to be able to create an arrow, but I do not want him to cut, copy and paste it. can it be done? because office 2007 manages shapes differently from office 2003, and all the macros I have done so far work well with text but not with shapes. Moreover, I tried to change the Ribbon with xml and it works fine, but the problem is tha...

How to copy a Macro to another PC
How can I find and copy an Excel macro to another PC. As I recall the one I created also created a file called Personal.xls that automatically opens up. Not sure if this is the only file that needs to be copied? Also, where does it get copied to? What location? Same as original PC? -- FL Personal.xls is automatically opened (if it exists) but is hidden; use Widows | Unhide to see if you have one. Generally it is kept in the XLSTART folder; find it with a search. However, some people have Excel open other files automatically; Use Tools | Options and look on the General tab to see ...

Chart Location Impact On Links When Copying To New Workbook
I have a sheet in Excel that contains all of my data. I also have several charts based on thsi data. If the location for each of these sheets is "As New Sheet" then if I copy the data sheet and chart sheets to a new workbook then there are no links back to the original file (the chart source data references the data sheet in the new file). However, if the chart location for each of these charts is "As Object In" a worksheet, then when I select the data sheet and the worksheet that has all of the embedded charts and copy them to a new workbook, the charts create a ...

Hide "All Disabled Accounts" from Exchange address list. #2
I'm trying to remove ex-employees names from the global address list in Exchange. The ex-employees accounts are disabled and many have been selected to "Hide from Exchange address list," but there are still a bunch of disabled accounts with active names in the global address list. Is there some action or query I can run to select "Hide from exchange address list" on all disabled accounts? Doing this one by one would be a total pain. Thanks Hi you can do this by using vbscript together with some LDAP filter but you could also use a tool (ADModify for example) that hel...

Copying a named range with a changing cell reference
I am writing a macro to copy a sheet from a workbook to a new workbook, it has hiddden rows which i am not copying just values, however, I also want to copy the named ranges to the new sheet, the problem being the cell references change as I get rid of hidden rows and columns. Is there any way to carry over a named range, having it refering to values or cell content rather than actuall cell references................ Hi If you only need the values to be copied, you can use "Paste Special" and select values to be pasted. Regards, Per <jwilkes@sedgman.com.au> skrev i en med...

disable macro warning
I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - how do I turn off this warning screen upon entering system when I have no macros in the worksheet? You need to remove the module that contained the macro. Press ALT+F11, go to View > Project Explorer (if needed), right-click on the module(s), and remove it. Save. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I added macro which I then deleted. Every time I enter >system it asks me if I want to disable or enable macros - >how do I turn off this warnin...

Outlook 2002
Hello, I have a user who is getting the following error message anytime he tries to send or reply to an e-mail: "The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host application to determine how to enable macros." I have tried lowering the macro security in outlook to "low" and nothing. Our installations of Office XP are installed through an administrative installation point on one of our servers. I have looked everywhere and can't figure out how to resolve this problem. This started after I installed Adobe Acrobat 6....

What does Excel do when copying sheets containing a lot of Charts?
When I was copying some worksheets from one workbook to another, which contains a lot of Charts. I found out that I can only copy 7 sheets with Charts, the 8th one was copied but no chart was copied over. And if I save the workbook that I just added several sheets with Charts, I can't reopen it within the same excel. I have to close Excel and reopen another one to open it without causing serious error. My question is, what exactly excel does when I was copying worksheets from one workbook to another? I took suggestion from Jim Cone to turn off the AutoChartFontScaling. It doesn&#...

"Copy" isn't available now Error
I have a command button on my Main Form that is supposed to, on the OnClick Event, set focus to a control on a subform and copy its contents and then close the entire form but I am getting an error that "The command or action "Copy" isn't available now." Any ideas about how to work around this?? The OnGotFocus event of the text box to be copied runs it's own code that concatenates text from all over the form. This box does have a tab stop but I have it coded so that focus doesn't go to it directly for the user - only for the purpose of copying h...

Macro that copy page to page just some filled cells
I want to create a formula (macro ) that helps me. I have in one sheet with some columns that clientes filled with quantities and i want create fomula ( macro ) that copy just the filled cells and the cell with description (B2 cell is filled with quantities and A2 cell have the descrption product, and I want a macro that just copy the filled cells to another page. ...

Disable Save
Hi, I am looking for some help with a macro, I need to disable anyone from saving a file or save as and also disable the prompt if the close button is pressed you get an option to save the file then, I need to disable all of these, also have a pop up box to warn that save as been disables when a user tries to save the file fro save and save as. Can anyone help mw with this. Regards Mark If you disable save on SaveAs, Save and Close, how is the user to save the file, with magic? Help me here. Barb Reinhardt "terilad" wrote: > Hi, > > ...

how do i print colour-seperated copy in publisher
help!!! am doing an exam in publisher shortly and need to know What is meant by "colour-seperated"? This is a new term for this ol Yank. -- Don Vancouver, USA "caz" <caz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0E7C24E3-B093-406C-88D3-BFA7F3CE09E8@microsoft.com... > help!!! > > am doing an exam in publisher shortly and need to know What version Publisher are you using? Look at the Commercial Printing in the Tools menu. Help here Print separations of your publication http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP051146751033.aspx -- Mary Saue...

Exchange 2003 send multiple copies of same email to clients!
I have just finished the the basic setup of Echange 2003. It only manages about 75 email acounts. I have noticed 2 things and think they are related. Firts if there is no subject for email being recieved it will hang on that email and never download to client using OutLook or Outlook Express. I can go in and through the Web based mail and remove the problem email all goes back to normal. Secondly sometimes my clients will get multiple copies of the same email. I have one now that has four copies and everytime she opens her Outlook it gives her another copy. Any help as always appreci...

Disable power management ?
I am building a platform with CE 6.0 and I can't seem to disable power saving. I unregistered the display as a power manageable device, but now the first sound played after 5 minutes is not heard because the sound is also in power save mode. Where to I disable this completely to leave the device on at all time ? Thanks You can include 'Power management -minimal' in your OS design if it is possible (i.e. your OS does not include catalog items which depends on the 'Power management - full' component' Otherwise you can set the user activity timeout to ...

Disable Image/Screen Capture
Is it possible to programmatically disable users from capturing an image of a form (e.g. using PrintScreen or Screen Capture software). I know one can regularly clear the clipboard but this does not protect against Screen Capture software that uses GetDesktopWindow() or GetDC (). Any ideas ? AP wrote: > Is it possible to programmatically disable users from capturing an > image of a form (e.g. using PrintScreen or Screen Capture software). > > I know one can regularly clear the clipboard but this does not protect > against Screen Capture software that uses GetDesk...

copying outlook express contact list
Anybody have an idea as to how I can bring an old contact list into the same program again? Scenario: My old computer motherboard crashed. I purchased a new computer and reloaded all the programs including Outlook. I did manage to have the old hard drive put back into the computer as a secondary drive (d) and maintained all the data files. With the outlook reinstalled to run off of the new c: drive, there are of course no contacts. Is there a way to find the outlook contact information on the old drive and replace it into the reinstalled program on the c: drive? Thank you. This n...

How to Disable the Little Auto Fill Dialog
I would like to disable the small auto fill option dialog that appears every time I drag and copy. It just gets in my way. Thank you anyone who can tell me how to get rid of this annoyance. John Scott Could it be... tools|options|Edit tab uncheck the "show paste options buttons" or "show Insert options buttons" JG Scott wrote: > > I would like to disable the small auto fill option dialog that appears > every time I drag and copy. It just gets in my way. Thank you anyone > who can tell me how to get rid of this annoyance. > > John Scott -- Dave...

Copy contents of a cell into a blank cell
How do I copy the contents of cell B2 into cell D2 only if D2 is empty Hi It cannot be done with a formula - only with VBA. The following code should achieve what you described Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Address = "$D$2" Then If Range("D2") = "" Then Range("D2") = Range("B2").Value End If End Sub To Use Copy Code above Right click on sheet tab>View Code Paste code into white pane that appears Alt+F11 to return to Excel -- Regards Roger Govier "fire9...

disabling auto replies
E5.5 is set to block auto replies from going out to the internet. Policy works fine for server based rules but not for client!!! Any suggestions on how to enforce it for client based rules as well? ...

Excel e-mail hyperlink-how can I disable this auto feature
Using Excel 2000 (yeah, I know, get an update, but this is a government agency and is not an option at my level), is there anyway to disable the automatic creation of a hyperlink when entering an e-mail address. I know I can individually remove the hyperlink once the address is entered, but I'd like to universally turn off this feature. Can this be done. I saw a solution posted for Excel 2002, but that solution doesn't appear to be an option for autocorrect in Excel 2000. TIA, Rob ...