unable to delete Windows.edb file

I am trying to delete my Windows.edb file which is in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

I have indexing service set to manual and off.  I also have Microsoft Search
disabled.

But when I try to delete the Windows.edb file, I get a file in use message
and it won't delete.

What else uses it?

I am also getting a bungh of MSSBC4xx.log files that show up in the same
folder.  There are about 50 of them now.

Where do they come from? And is it related to my being unable to delete the
..edb file?

Thanks,

Tom

0
tshad

"tshad" wrote:

> I am trying to delete my Windows.edb file which is in
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
> Data\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows
>
> I have indexing service set to manual and off.  I also have Microsoft Search
> disabled.
>
> But when I try to delete the Windows.edb file, I get a file in use message
> and it won't delete.
>
> What else uses it?
>
> I am also getting a bungh of MSSBC4xx.log files that show up in the same
> folder.  There are about 50 of them now.
>
> Where do they come from? And is it related to my being unable to delete the
> ..edb file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>

> .

Hi Tom,
Try the deletion in Safe Mode and while in safe mode run the disk clean up.
Reboot in Normal Mode and report back with your progress!
HTH
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

use CSV as Database Files to generate Crystal Report
Hi all, I am trying to use CSV file as Database Files to generate Crystal Report. However, I am always prompted for user and password, which does not make sense. However, it works well with XML file. Could someone please help me on how to get the CSV file to work? Thank you very much. regards, Sean You'd be better of posting to a newsgroup regarding Crystal. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:44:26 -0800, "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Hi al...

Is there ANY possibility to view embedded PDF object in XLS file after when this xls file is digitally signed?
Hello, I created an XLS file with an embedded pdf object. I can view this object when I double click on its icon. However, if I sign this xls file, I am no longer able to view this embedded PDF object. If I double click on its icon, nothing happen. I am concerned in this last two days with no results. I appreciated any advice. Mike ...

Unable to open Outlook #5
On trying to open Outlook I get the error message ( unable to open default mail folder, try again later) Type of account? In case you are using a pst-file use scanpst.exe to scan it for errors. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "djchampkin" <djchampkin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5486C490-27A7-4849-A1E6-2BAF1C7AB166@microsoft.com... > On trying to open Outlook I get the error message ( unable to open default &...

How do I delete a text box from an Excel spreadsheet?
Rightclick on it and select cut If the textbox is from the control toolbox toolbar, you may have to click on the designmode icon first. Uncle Binky wrote: -- Dave Peterson ...

Windows server 2003 and Windows 7
Hi all, i have a big problem in my network. I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 configured as DC, DNS and DHCP server and a Windows SBS server configured as exchange server and DNS server. When i control the event log i often find this error : Il master ha ricevuto un annuncio server dal computer XXXXXX che ritiene di essere il master per il dominio sul trasporto NetBT_Tcpip_{. Il master sta per essere arrestato o si sta forzando un'elezione. Someone can help me please? Hello, unhopefully I'm not able to speak Italian (it's a pitty, because italian is a so beautiful...

Expost Outlook PST file to Outlook 2002 PST file
I have a customer who has bought a copy of Office 2003 which he has now decided he doesn't like!! He has asked me to return his system to his old Office XP Professional. No problem except for one thing - I exported his PST file from Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703) and tried to import it toOutlook 2002 (10.2627.2625) and the result was that Outlook 2002 doesn't recognise the format of the Outlook 2003 PST file! My customer isn't impressed!! Does nyone any ideas on how I can either export the file in a format that will be recognised AND keep all his folders and messages where t...

Why does workbook think deleted macro still exits?
I have deleted the macros in a workbook but each time I open it there is still a messge stating there are macros. How do I stop the message from appearing? Thanks Karen ...

importing multiple text files???
Hi, I am experiencing a big problem. As a part of my analysis for PhD I have to analyze more then 1000 files. The data that I have is in text files. To be more precise, I have 5 different data sets, from different meteo centres, each centre has a data set of 365 files for each day during the year. The format of text files is something as following: Camborne Met. Office WINDS rev 4.1 50.20 -5.30 88 02 01 01 00 00 23 0 29 3 35 07:09 (3.0) 07:09 (3.0) 06:08 (3.0) 284 284 65 65 400 400 23 23 12.5 12.5 1 1500 1500 35 35 400 400 43 90.0 43 74.5 313 74.5 HT SPD DIR Radials... 0.101 9.8 113 0.0...

Moving my Outlook files to new computer
How can I move my Outlook 2003 files (Contacts, Calendar, mail, etc) to a new computer? ...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

Windows in Taskbar #5
SYSTEM STATUS: a.. Operating System: Windows XP Service Pack 2 b.. Word: 2002 (10.6612.6626) Service Pack 3 c.. Excel: 2002 (10.6612.6626) Service Pack 3 d.. Word: Tools - Options - ViewTab -Windows in Taskbar IS checked. e.. Excel: Tools - Options - ViewTab -Windows in Taskbar IS checked. a.. The Taskbar Properties has "Group similar taskbar buttons" UNCHECKED TEST 1: a.. Start Windows Explorer. b.. Navigate to a folder which contains at least two Word files and two Excel files. c.. Double-click one Word file. ...

hyperlink open in new window
How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? refer to http://www.davidbartosik.com/pub2002/pub2002_13.htm -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help: www.davidbartosik.com enter to win Pub 2003: www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx "sharin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2180BE5B-1783-4F9A-A167-D8E3BF34B3CC@microsoft.com... > How do you create a hyperlink and have it open in a new window? ...

Window Mail losing saved message content
In some folders whatever message I click on the same message opens regardless. If I try to move a message back to the Inbox then all messages in the folder show as "cannot find content" I have not deleted these messages but saved them in folders. Where did they go? How do I get them back? This has happened since my last backup so I cannot get them from the external backup file. Plus, this sho7uld not happen. I checked another folder, first it worked, then later it went bad as well. How do I get my emails restored, and how do I prevent this crap from happening ag...

Regarding Windows Media Services 4.1
hi, I have loaded windows 2000 server. with that i have windows media server and windows media services. i have to design a custom plugin for Windows media services 4.1. i want to use authorization plugin, so that i can check whether the request is authorized for getting content stream or not. For that which should interfaces have to implemented ? and which dll(type library or COM) have to used. How can i achieve this. I am using Windows Media Services 4.1 plz tell me clearly. regards, koti ...

can't delete mailbox #2
I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? Wait until AD replicates then you'll be able to purge the mailboxes with the red Xs "Brandon Baker" <brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23fkHzmOMGHA.1180@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... >I deleted a user account in AD but when I go to Exchange system manager I >can't delete the mailbox. What is the deal? > Right click on Mailboxes in ESM and select Run Cleanup Agent. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange M...

end user licence pops up when open office 2003 in windows 7
I am logged in as administrator and doesn't resolve the problem. and fixes on site only apply to XP or Vista nothing for Windows7 Another suggestion I saw was to run Windows in Safe Mode, launch Word, accept the EULA, then shut down and restart. -- Susan Ramlet -- please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit. "Sara" <Sara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C14FAAB0-6CEA-47E1-9ED2-BF425E178101@microsoft.com... > I am logged in as administrator and doesn't resolve the problem. and fixes > on > site only apply to XP or Vista...

how to get a fixed window with caption?
hi! which is the best way to get a window (dialog box) with captionbar but no posibility for the user to move the window? thanks philipp Try overriding the WM_WINDOWPOSCHANGING message to prevent the move before it happens. >-----Original Message----- >hi! > >which is the best way to get a window (dialog box) with captionbar but no >posibility for the user to move the window? > >thanks philipp > > >. > ...

problems with windows live mail
when windows live mail starts to download from my gmail pop account I always a box pop up saying "Internet Security Warning" dialog box "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value." "Do you want to continue using this server?" I click yes and it works, connects and downloads messages. Until the email client is close and restarted that is. Then once again on the first access the security certificate message is displayed. How do I get this to w...

Can't receive e-mails on windows mail
I have been trying to access e-mails and getting this message.? Any Help would be great. Thanks. I have re-done all the settings as per their website severall times but with no luck. Running Vista. Account: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR not supported 3pf7420781ewy.51', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Follow the instructions in "How to use POP in Virgin Media Mail" at: http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?...

File Association in Dialog-Based Application
Has anyone seen any info on how to associated a file type with my dialog-based application? In order to use RegisterShellFileTypes(), I must add my document template using AddDocTemplates(). But AddDocTemplates() can't be called without a CDocument class. Thanks for any thoughts. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com >Has anyone seen any info on how to associated a file type with my >dialog-based application? > >In order to use RegisterShellFileTypes(), I must add my document template >using AddDocTemplates(). But AddDocTemplates() ...

ACH file incorrect
The bank says our ach file is incorrect. It should begin with 522 and end with 822 and it begins with 520 and ends with 820. Does anyone know where or what I need to change to get this the file to display correctly. Thanks for any input Brandon ...

Obtaining Path of the file/folder ?
Hi I have an mfc dialog based demo application. I wanted to add my application's entry in the Windows Explorer's context menu, which i m able to successfully by making some additions to the registry. Now whenever the user right clicks on some folder/file,the context menu displays my application's entry which gets executed when the user clicks on it. How can i obtain the path of the file/folder on which the user right clicked ? Waiting for suggestions Regards >I have an mfc dialog based demo application. >I wanted to add my application's entry in the Windows Expl...

Child window styles
Hi there, i'll cut to the chase, i'm trying to change the style of child windows in my application so that they are independant of the windows setting so that my client area containing multiple child windows always has the same look an feel. Can anyone give me any pointers on where to look or start with this ? Regards Matt. Mif wrote: > Hi there, i'll cut to the chase, i'm trying to change the style of > child windows in my application so that they are independant of the > windows setting so that my client area containing multiple child > windows always has the...

.XLB file corrupted often
The excel.xlb file is getting currupted every week or so. Once replaced w. a good version things work fine for a while. Any suggestions on premenent fixes or what is possibly corrupting it. Thanks for any suggestions Hi Andrew, One possibility is some rogue VBA code which is customising menus/toolbars and not undoing its work properly. If this is the case then yoour XLB file can get larger and larger until it falls over. If you are running any VBA code or using addins check that they have a workbook_close routine that removes any changes to menus/toolbars they have made. hth Charles...