Two instances of iexplore.exe in Task Manager processes

XP Pro, SP3, IE8

I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
processes.

Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly couldn't
sign in to WLM.

Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run the
BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to version
8, so the new version may be the problem.

I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed two
iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about 15,000k). So
then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT or Yahoo
applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.

On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar etc.
uninstall.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think it's
a malware or virus problem.

0
Smirnoff

"Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>
> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
> processes.
>
> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
> couldn't sign in to WLM.
>
> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
> the BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
> version 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>
> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
> two iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about
> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
> or Yahoo applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>
> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
> etc. uninstall.
>
> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
> it's a malware or virus problem.

May have answered my own question. Just looked in Process Explorer and it
seems the second instance of iexplore.exe is for Tabs (coloured brown).
Funny, never noticed the two processes in Task Manager before

0
Smirnoff
8/3/2010 1:22:00 PM

> "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>>
>> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task
>> Manager processes.
>>
>> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
>> couldn't sign in to WLM.
>>
>> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
>> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
>> the BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
>> version 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>>
>> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
>> two iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about
>> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
>> or Yahoo applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>>
>> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
>> etc. uninstall.
>>
>> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
>> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
>> it's a malware or virus problem.
>>

> May have answered my own question. Just looked in Process Explorer and it
> seems the second instance of iexplore.exe is for Tabs (coloured brown).
> Funny, never noticed the two processes in Task Manager before

More Reliable:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.ie8.aspx

IE8 and Loosely-Coupled IE (LCIE)
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx

Internet Explorer questions:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

0
Donald
8/3/2010 1:36:41 PM
"Donald Anadell" <danadell@nospamersmikrotec.com> wrote in message

> "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>> "Smirnoff" <someone@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
>>> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>>>
>>> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task
>>> Manager processes.
>>>
>>> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
>>> couldn't sign in to WLM.
>>>
>>> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
>>> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
>>> the BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
>>> version 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>>>
>>> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
>>> two iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about
>>> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
>>> or Yahoo applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>>>
>>> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
>>> etc. uninstall.
>>>
>>> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
>>> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
>>> it's a malware or virus problem.
>>>

>> May have answered my own question. Just looked in Process Explorer and it
>> seems the second instance of iexplore.exe is for Tabs (coloured brown).
>> Funny, never noticed the two processes in Task Manager before
>
> More Reliable:
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.ie8.aspx
>
> IE8 and Loosely-Coupled IE (LCIE)
> http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2008/03/11/ie8-and-loosely-coupled-ie-lcie.aspx
>
> Internet Explorer questions:
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

Thanks for the links

0
Smirnoff
8/3/2010 2:34:25 PM
What Donald said &
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/07/28/ie8-and-reliability.aspx

Smirnoff wrote:
> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>
> I noticed that I had two instances of iexplore.exe running in Task Manager
> processes.
>
> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
> couldn't
> sign in to WLM.
>
> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
> the
> BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
> version
> 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>
> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
> two
> iexplore.exe processes (one using about 54,000k the other about 15,000k).
> So
> then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT or Yahoo
> applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>
> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
> etc.
> uninstall.
>
> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
> it's
> a malware or virus problem.

0
PA
8/3/2010 3:28:52 PM
On 3 Aug, 14:09, "Smirnoff" <some...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>
> I noticed that I had two instances ofiexplore.exerunning in Task Manager
> processes.
>
> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly couldn't
> sign in to WLM.
>
> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run the
> BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to version
> 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>
> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed twoiexplore.exeprocesses (one using about 54,000k the other about 15,000k). So
> then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT or Yahoo
> applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>
> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar etc.
> uninstall.
>
> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think it's
> a malware orvirusproblem.

It may be the iexplorer.exe virus which wasn't detected by my anti-
virus software.

Has there been a lot of hard disk drive activity?
0
blackhead
8/7/2010 6:15:40 PM
There are always 2 iexplore.exe in the task manager when you open ie8. Open
a 3rd tab and there will 3, open a 4th tab and there will be 4.
That's the way IE8 works.

--
Paul's XP and Vista Help
www.paulsxp.com

"blackhead" <larryharson@softhome.net> wrote in message
> On 3 Aug, 14:09, "Smirnoff" <some...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>>
>> I noticed that I had two instances ofiexplore.exerunning in Task Manager
>> processes.
>>
>> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
>> couldn't
>> sign in to WLM.
>>
>> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
>> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
>> the
>> BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
>> version
>> 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>>
>> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
>> twoiexplore.exeprocesses (one using about 54,000k the other about
>> 15,000k). So
>> then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT or Yahoo
>> applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>>
>> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
>> etc.
>> uninstall.
>>
>> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
>> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
>> it's
>> a malware orvirusproblem.
>
> It may be the iexplorer.exe virus which wasn't detected by my anti-
> virus software.
>
> Has there been a lot of hard disk drive activity?

0
PaulM
8/7/2010 7:19:09 PM
Did you even bother to read the other replies to this thread?

e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/49ba858f39475b7f

e.g.,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/7b3809dae6c38382

blackhead wrote:
> On 3 Aug, 14:09, "Smirnoff" <some...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>> XP Pro, SP3, IE8
>>
>> I noticed that I had two instances ofiexplore.exerunning in Task Manager
>> processes.
>>
>> Discovering this was part of my attempt to find out why I suddenly
>> couldn't
>> sign in to WLM.
>>
>> Having done some searching on different forums, I discovered that some
>> people were blaming the BT Yahoo Toolbar for this behaviour. I have run
>> the
>> BT Toolbar without problems before, although I recently upgraded to
>> version
>> 8, so the new version may be the problem.
>>
>> I decided to open IE8 in "No Add Ons" mode but Task Manager still showed
>> twoiexplore.exeprocesses (one using about 54,000k the other about
>> 15,000k). So then I uninstalled BT Yahoo toolbar along with any other BT
>> or Yahoo
>> applications I could find in Add/Remove Programs and rebooted.
>>
>> On reopening IE8 the two processes were still shown even after toolbar
>> etc.
>> uninstall.
>>
>> I use Microsoft Security Essentials as my AV and have recently run
>> Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both fully updated) so I don't think
>> it's
>> a malware orvirusproblem.
>
> It may be the iexplorer.exe virus which wasn't detected by my anti-
> virus software.
>
> Has there been a lot of hard disk drive activity?

0
PA

Pulsar Women's Crystal Accented Dress Two-Tone Stainless Steel Watch #PEGA16
Price:$125.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B001L1RZ8C Best deal: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B001L1RZ8C This ladies' two tone, Pulsar fashion watch features a white dial CrystallizedTM with 22 Swarovski crystals. Watch is water resistant up to 30 meters. This stylish timepiece features a two-tone bracelet and case. The mother-of-pearl dial is accentuated by gold-tone hands and markers. 22 Swarovski® crystals sparkle on this classic watch. 30M water resistant. ACCESSORIES: Pulsar Women's Crystal Accented Dress Two-Tone Stainless Steel W...

managing two identities
need some help folks: i set up two identities with outlook express 5 and in general the download from both accounts works fine, but whenever i try to switch from the main identity to my second identity the download would not work and then, when trying to switch again back or quit, the program stops working and i get a message soundling like 'outlook express could not be started because another instance of outlook express is still running' any leads how to get two identities work smoothly? cheers and thanks "Gernot" <h9851633@wu.edu> wrote in message news:5f7001c3b34...

Two profiles sharing one email account/pst?
I have a laptop, Win XP Pro & Office XP, that I use at work logging in as user/domain. At home I log in as user/laptop. The first time I used it at home & tried to check mail (mail was originally set up at work), it went through the motions to set up a new email account. Surely, I can share the same mail account or pst between profiles, but how? Thanks find the pst from work on your computer - if windows explorer, tools, options, view hidden files and folders is not set to show hidden files and folders, change it and then browse to C:\Documents and Settings\work_username\Local Setti...

Update Manager
Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UPDATE MANAGER". It shows two progress bars, but nothing ever happens. Why is this window popping up every tiem I turn on the computer and how do I get it to stop? It never used to do this, it just statred lately. Thankyou. tony Because you installed something which features an update manager "Omaha Tony" <OmahaTony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A08659C0-1560-4E8C-8A1C-76A5B1DBB1F8@microsoft.com... > Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UP...

Collection Management email
Hi, We just add a new collection management module into GP 8.0. It works as expected, but when we are trying to send both the collection letter and the invoice, the system send 2 seperate email to the customer. 1 is the collection letter and the other one is the invoice. Is there a way to make it send only 1 email (collection letter in the body and invoice as attachment)? Since it's completely unreasonable to send 2 emails for the same purpose and I'm sure a system like GP is able to accomplish this. Thank you in advance for your help. ...

Comparing first and last names in two lists

Highlight only the second instance of a duplicate
Hello, I am trying to apply conditional formatting to a list where only the second and subsquent duplicates should be highlighted. I've tried =COUNTIF($A$2:$A2,A2)>1 and several other variations but they all result in highlighting the first result, which is the opposite of what I want. Any suggestions? Thanks! Tiffany I think you either posted the wrong formula or you did something wrong in your worksheet. Your conditional formatting formula worked fine for me when I tested it. One more question... Did you select the range and apply the formula to all the cells in that selection...

How do I break URL address over two lines?
I am trying to enter website addresses into footnotes and Word automatically forces the footnote onto a separate line. I need to conform to certain aditing requirements and want the url to start right after the citation and continue on to however many lines are necessary, but not leave a gap because it starts the url on a separate line in the footnote. Help please. In the edit hyperlink dialog, put the URI in both the Address and Text-to- display boxes. That way you can use a space or linebreak to wrap the display text to the next line without affecting the hyperlink ability. Hyp...

Processing hanging
I have figured out which form is making my db hang from closing the process once the database is closed, but was hoping someone might know how I can identify the excat culprit. Is there a way to view open variable after I close a form, see what is still running, which should not be, so I can finally fix this once and for all? QB Why not use debug and single-step thru the code (I'm assuming there is code behind the form)? What are you doing when this hanging occurs? What version of Access? -- Dorian "Give someone a fish and they eat for a day; teach someone to fish ...

MVP PLESE; Report Manager
I did all required in installation and when the Report Manager comes up I get no options either under "view or scenario", All I see is "none". No selection in the drop down for any of the 6 out of 20 columns I want to print. Is my Report Manager corrupted? I just d/l it today from the MS site. Running Excel 2002. It's so easy in MS Works. ...

converting FILETIME into two DWORDS
Hi, i want to extract date and time from a FILETIME structure into two dwords. So that the two dwords contain the date and time info in the same way in which NTFS store the file creation, modification and access date. Thanks. ...

How do I combine two worksheets into one graph
I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? Make a chart with data from one sheet. Then copy the data on the other sheet, select the chart, and use Paste Special from the Edit menu to add the copied data as New Series. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ McPowerUser wrote: > I have two worksheets on an Excel spreadsheet. I would like to take both > worksheets and place in one graph. Any suggestions? ...

tasks entered in taskpad don't appear in task folder
All of the tasks that I have entered via the taskpad do not appear in the task folder, what am I doing wrong or do I have the wrong expectation? OL98/WinXP John Keith kd0gd@juno.com What view are you using on your Tasks folder? --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. "John Keith" <kd0gd@juno.com> wrote in message = news:6grrm0hkagessu2ecc0bj81pc41aarq39r@4ax.com... | All of the tasks that I have...

comparing numerically two documents
Hi all, I need to compare the text of document A with the text of document B with some Word functionality, plugin or tool that tells me how much the text in the two docs is different. Some kind of reporting feature that tells you something like "The text of document B is X % (percent) different from the text of document A" Is anythig like this available? thanks ...

Bug: MM05 online banking
MM05 uses a single login for each bank - unfortunately my brokerage (Bank of America Investment Services) uses a unique login for each account. So, I'm unable to use online banking in MS Money to sync with my brokerage and IRA accounts. If there was some way for me to duplicate the "Bank of America Investment Services" so I have two instances of the bank, I could make it work - any suggestions? In microsoft.public.money, Crimbo wrote: >MM05 uses a single login for each bank - unfortunately my brokerage (Bank of >America Investment Services) uses a unique login f...

Outlook 2003 process doesn't shut down on closing
Hello, When I close down Outlook 2003 SP3, the outlook process continues to run and the Outlook icon remains in the Taskbar. Windows XP Pro SP2 fully patched. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve Do not multi-post. See your answer in m.p.office.misc. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After furious head scratching, Maincat asked: | Hello, |=20 | When I close down Outlook 2003 SP3, the outlook process continues to | run and the Outlook icon remains in the Taskbar. Windows XP Pro SP2 | fully patched.=20 |=20 | Any ideas? |=20 | Thank...

SUMIF with two conditions ?
:cool: OK I have tried just about everything and can not find the righ combination for seems like a simple problem: IN A1 IF N79:N83 >=1 AND IF N79:N83 <=7 THEN SUM K79:N8 -- Calvi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Calvin's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=590 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26341 Hi Calvin one way =SUMPRODUCT(--(N79:N83>=1),--(N79:N83<=7),N79:N83) Cheers JulieD "Calvin" <Calvin.1d4dfz@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message...

Importing Purchase orders with integration manager.
When I import a purchase order in Excel, GP creates a separate po for each line item. How do I get the line items under one PO number? I notice that the SQL option does not allow you to have a query relationship. You will need two source tables, one with PO header info and one with line information. Use two sources in Integration Manager and relate them by a common field (like PO Number) If I remember correctly, there is a sample integration provided just like this. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help learning and better using Dyna...

I need a formula to sum column b if column a is between two dates
I have an excel spreadsheet with employees time off. I need a formula that will add column b if column a is betwee two dates. For example: if column a is between 9/22/04 and 9/21/05 then add column b. I have tried all different formluas but can't get this to work. ...

Comparing Two Lists #2
I have to compare two account balance downloads to reconcile an inte company account. The only field I can match between the two lists i the value, unfortunately no dates correspond, nor text fields. I had originally planned on using a vba routine that coloured value found in both lists, or an array formula. i went with the vba Unfortunately the code identified all the matching cells, ie, the valu �300 appeared twice in List A but only once in List B. The cod coloured both of these values in List A, and the singular entry in Lis B. I only need to colour one value in List A as it nets off One...

Utility to process rules based on message receive times?
Hi, Does anyone know of a utility that will check a mailbox and process Outlook rules based on how long a message has been in an inbox, and/or remained unread? Thanks! Jeff Yes, there is at least one - Auto-mate. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm#special -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exch...

Unable to Create New Task
I am unable to create new task as the option is no longer available. What should I do? Thanks. What version of Outlook? Can you create other items? Is your product activated? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Jeffrey" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:874201c4784e$322d2c60$a401280a@phx.gbl... >I am unable to create new task as the option is no longer > available. What should I do? Thanks. Th...

compare two tables for mismatch data
I have to do a comparison of two tables. Both tables have the same exact headers. The first table is the standard rates template which is linked from excel. The second table is coming from a query off our AS400 system. So basically we are needing to compare with the standard template vs what was inputted into the system. Basically auditing the work inputting, looking for typos and mismatches. What would be the easiest method to use considering we are having to check about 20 fields. ...

How can i remove mailbox management settings from a default recipi
How can i remove mailbox management settings from a default recipient policy ? Mailbox management settings are not defined on the default recipient policy. There are 2 types of recipient policies. E-mail address recipient policies, and Mailbox Manager recipient policies. They are mutually exclusive, meaning you don't define e-mail addresses in a mailbox manager policy, and vice versa. If you highlight your recipient policies container in ESM, you will see at a minimum the default recipient policy along with any other (i.e. mailbox manager settings) that you or another admin has c...