Trouble getting back on line after router is shut off....

Doesn't XP flush the IP address when it's shut off so it's ready for a
new one when you restart it?  The reason I ask is:

I have a Linksys WRTP54G wireless router that has 2 phone ports for
use with the Vonage phone company.

When we have electrical strorms I unplug everything including my cable
connection to my modem, the router and of course the 'puter. After the
storm it can take me up to 45 minutes to get an internet connection
again.

The setup is a Surfboard cable modem that feeds the Linksys then to
one of my motherboard's 2 ethernet connectors. When powering up after
a storm I power them in that order. But I continually get the message
ballon that says " A network cable has been unplugged." The ethernet
connection light on the router is either blinking or isn't on at all.
When I have a proper connection it's on solidly all the time until I
shut off the computer then it goes dark. In spite of all this I do get
a useable phone connection as the phone light on the Linksys comes on.

If I elminate the router, of course losing my Vonage, and plug the
computer in directly to the modem and power up, I get a connection
immediately.

The only way I could get THIS connection after 5 reboots of everything
was to change to the other ethernet port on my MB.

I don't think it should take all this fooling around to get an IP
address so I can get a connection.

I have tried the command  'IPCONFIG/RELEASE."

Once I have a good connection to the 'net with the above setup, I can
shut the machine off entirely, or let it sleep or hibernate and once
it starts to boot I get a solid ethernet light on the router.
Unplugging everything sends it into a frenzy!

I am using XP pro SP3 with all updates, the ISP is Comcast. What is
wrong or what am I doing wrong?

Vonage, although they try to help haven't been able to fix the
trouble, it may be beyond their purvie, but they do try.

I hope this topic is appropriate for this forum, if note please move
it to where it should have been posted.

Cheers,

J T

My only experience was with my tower to tower high speed
connection. I had to be hospitalized and unplugged my computer
from the wall. Two weeks later found my internet connection
down. The ISP said that it polls the connection periodically and
if there is no answering poll it shuts off the service. They say
to leave the wall plug and router alone and shut off the
computer next time that I have to leave it alone for any
extended time.

I had to phone the ISP and they restored my service without
sending a service man out athough sometimes that is necessary.

Hope that helps somewhat as it does explain at least part of the
procedure involved.
==

"J Tinsby" <none@present.com> wrote in message
> Doesn't XP flush the IP address when it's shut off so it's
> ready for a
> new one when you restart it?  The reason I ask is:
>
> I have a Linksys WRTP54G wireless router that has 2 phone
> ports for
> use with the Vonage phone company.
>
> When we have electrical strorms I unplug everything including
> my cable
> connection to my modem, the router and of course the 'puter.
> After the
> storm it can take me up to 45 minutes to get an internet
> connection
> again.
>
> The setup is a Surfboard cable modem that feeds the Linksys
> then to
> one of my motherboard's 2 ethernet connectors. When powering
> up after
> a storm I power them in that order. But I continually get the
> message
> ballon that says " A network cable has been unplugged." The
> ethernet
> connection light on the router is either blinking or isn't on
> at all.
> When I have a proper connection it's on solidly all the time
> until I
> shut off the computer then it goes dark. In spite of all this
> I do get
> a useable phone connection as the phone light on the Linksys
> comes on.
>
> If I elminate the router, of course losing my Vonage, and plug
> the
> computer in directly to the modem and power up, I get a
> connection
> immediately.
>
> The only way I could get THIS connection after 5 reboots of
> everything
> was to change to the other ethernet port on my MB.
>
> I don't think it should take all this fooling around to get an
> IP
> address so I can get a connection.
>
> I have tried the command  'IPCONFIG/RELEASE."
>
> Once I have a good connection to the 'net with the above
> setup, I can
> shut the machine off entirely, or let it sleep or hibernate
> and once
> it starts to boot I get a solid ethernet light on the router.
> Unplugging everything sends it into a frenzy!
>
> I am using XP pro SP3 with all updates, the ISP is Comcast.
> What is
> wrong or what am I doing wrong?
>
> Vonage, although they try to help haven't been able to fix the
> trouble, it may be beyond their purvie, but they do try.
>
> I hope this topic is appropriate for this forum, if note
> please move
> it to where it should have been posted.
>
> Cheers,
>
> J T

0
Doug
6/14/2010 6:27:14 AM
On 6/13/2010 10:50 PM, J Tinsby wrote:

> Doesn't XP flush the IP address when it's shut off so it's ready for a
> new one when you restart it?  The reason I ask is:
>
> I have a Linksys WRTP54G wireless router that has 2 phone ports for
> use with the Vonage phone company.
>
> When we have electrical strorms I unplug everything including my cable
> connection to my modem, the router and of course the 'puter. After the
> storm it can take me up to 45 minutes to get an internet connection
> again.
>
> The setup is a Surfboard cable modem that feeds the Linksys then to
> one of my motherboard's 2 ethernet connectors. When powering up after
> a storm I power them in that order. But I continually get the message
> ballon that says " A network cable has been unplugged." The ethernet
> connection light on the router is either blinking or isn't on at all.
> When I have a proper connection it's on solidly all the time until I
> shut off the computer then it goes dark. In spite of all this I do get
> a useable phone connection as the phone light on the Linksys comes on.
>
> If I elminate the router, of course losing my Vonage, and plug the
> computer in directly to the modem and power up, I get a connection
> immediately.
>
> The only way I could get THIS connection after 5 reboots of everything
> was to change to the other ethernet port on my MB.
>
> I don't think it should take all this fooling around to get an IP
> address so I can get a connection.
>
> I have tried the command  'IPCONFIG/RELEASE."
> Once I have a good connection to the 'net with the above setup, I can
> shut the machine off entirely, or let it sleep or hibernate and once
> it starts to boot I get a solid ethernet light on the router.
> Unplugging everything sends it into a frenzy!
> I am using XP pro SP3 with all updates, the ISP is Comcast. What is
> wrong or what am I doing wrong?
> Vonage, although they try to help haven't been able to fix the
> trouble, it may be beyond their purvie, but they do try.
> I hope this topic is appropriate for this forum, if note please move
> it to where it should have been posted.
> Cheers,
> J T

I have an XP Pro box that I run into a router, which itself is connected
to another router. I hibernate my machine instead of turning it off, and
when I boot up it often has problems connecting, so I made a small batch
file that I run when I restart it after a hibernate. Maybe running this
batch file will help you. This is just a patch, I'm not sure what the
source of your connection problem is, but if this works it's an easy fix.

Just save this as a filename.bat file on your desktop and double-click
it to run it after when you have turned everything on but still have a
blinking ethernet light on the router. Remove the first line to change
to a default color scheme.

color 4f
cd \
cls
rem ================================
rem        Releasing IP Configuration
rem ================================
rem
ipconfig /release
cls
rem ================================
rem        Renewing IP Configuration
rem ================================
ipconfig /renew
cls
echo ================================
echo                        Done!!
echo ================================

Mike

0
Mike
6/14/2010 6:53:23 AM
On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:53:23 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have an XP Pro box that I run into a router, which itself is connected
>to another router. I hibernate my machine instead of turning it off, and
>when I boot up it often has problems connecting, so I made a small batch
>file that I run when I restart it after a hibernate. Maybe running this
>batch file will help you. This is just a patch, I'm not sure what the
>source of your connection problem is, but if this works it's an easy fix.
>
>Just save this as a filename.bat file on your desktop and double-click
>it to run it after when you have turned everything on but still have a
>blinking ethernet light on the router. Remove the first line to change
>to a default color scheme.
>
>color 4f
>cd \
>cls
>rem ================================
>rem        Releasing IP Configuration
>rem ================================
>rem
>ipconfig /release
>cls
>rem ================================
>rem        Renewing IP Configuration
>rem ================================
>ipconfig /renew
>cls
>echo ================================
>echo                        Done!!
>echo ================================
>
>Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the batch file I will try it! The odd thing is I never used
to have this trouble.

Regards,

J T
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 00:27:14 -0600, "Doug W." <stand@attention> wrote:

>My only experience was with my tower to tower high speed
>connection. I had to be hospitalized and unplugged my computer
>from the wall. Two weeks later found my internet connection
>down. The ISP said that it polls the connection periodically and
>if there is no answering poll it shuts off the service. They say
>to leave the wall plug and router alone and shut off the
>computer next time that I have to leave it alone for any
>extended time.
>
>I had to phone the ISP and they restored my service without
>sending a service man out athough sometimes that is necessary.
>
>Hope that helps somewhat as it does explain at least part of the
>procedure involved.
>==

Hi Doug,

It's a possiblilty I guess that the ISP is shutting off the
connection. But 2 years back I had a huge line surge during a storm
that took $1k of stuff including parts in the computer. This is a new
one I built so there's no worry about a damaged component.

I have to unplug everything here when we get a storm, to leave the
router plugged in would be deadly, they don't make this brand wireless
router anymore for use with Vonage.

Plus when I connect the computer direclty to the modem after it's been
shut down for many hours, I can get a connection immediately. So there
must be a connection available for it to lock onto.

Thank you for your reply!

J T
J Tinsby wrote:
> Doesn't XP flush the IP address when it's shut off so it's ready for a
> new one when you restart it?  The reason I ask is:
>
> I have a Linksys WRTP54G wireless router that has 2 phone ports for
> use with the Vonage phone company.
>
> When we have electrical strorms I unplug everything including my cable
> connection to my modem, the router and of course the 'puter. After the
> storm it can take me up to 45 minutes to get an internet connection
> again.
>
> The setup is a Surfboard cable modem that feeds the Linksys then to
> one of my motherboard's 2 ethernet connectors. When powering up after
> a storm I power them in that order. But I continually get the message
> ballon that says " A network cable has been unplugged." The ethernet
> connection light on the router is either blinking or isn't on at all.
> When I have a proper connection it's on solidly all the time until I
> shut off the computer then it goes dark. In spite of all this I do get
> a useable phone connection as the phone light on the Linksys comes on.
>
> If I elminate the router, of course losing my Vonage, and plug the
> computer in directly to the modem and power up, I get a connection
> immediately.
>
> The only way I could get THIS connection after 5 reboots of everything
> was to change to the other ethernet port on my MB.
>
> I don't think it should take all this fooling around to get an IP
> address so I can get a connection.
>
> I have tried the command  'IPCONFIG/RELEASE."
>
> Once I have a good connection to the 'net with the above setup, I can
> shut the machine off entirely, or let it sleep or hibernate and once
> it starts to boot I get a solid ethernet light on the router.
> Unplugging everything sends it into a frenzy!
>
> I am using XP pro SP3 with all updates, the ISP is Comcast. What is
> wrong or what am I doing wrong?
>
> Vonage, although they try to help haven't been able to fix the
> trouble, it may be beyond their purvie, but they do try.
>
> I hope this topic is appropriate for this forum, if note please move
> it to where it should have been posted.

At a command prompt, type:

ipconfig /release

followed by:

ipconfig /renew

See if that helps.

Look under your couch cushions for spare change. Finding same, buy a surge
protector.

0
HeyBub
6/15/2010 11:37:46 PM
I had that router and it sucked with Gigabit ports.  Even when I forced the
NIC to 100 MB it still had issues.

> On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 23:53:23 -0700, Mike S <mscir@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>I have an XP Pro box that I run into a router, which itself is connected
>>to another router. I hibernate my machine instead of turning it off, and
>>when I boot up it often has problems connecting, so I made a small batch
>>file that I run when I restart it after a hibernate. Maybe running this
>>batch file will help you. This is just a patch, I'm not sure what the
>>source of your connection problem is, but if this works it's an easy fix.
>>
>>Just save this as a filename.bat file on your desktop and double-click
>>it to run it after when you have turned everything on but still have a
>>blinking ethernet light on the router. Remove the first line to change
>>to a default color scheme.
>>
>>color 4f
>>cd \
>>cls
>>rem ================================
>>rem        Releasing IP Configuration
>>rem ================================
>>rem
>>ipconfig /release
>>cls
>>rem ================================
>>rem        Renewing IP Configuration
>>rem ================================
>>ipconfig /renew
>>cls
>>echo ================================
>>echo                        Done!!
>>echo ================================
>>
>>Mike
>

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the batch file I will try it! The odd thing is I never used
> to have this trouble.
>
> Regards,
>
> J T

0
Jordan

HQ Server Shuts Down
Hi, I have a strange issue - 1) Have installed HQ Server that caters to 3 store locations 2) Have set up the HQ Server as a service 3)Have also setup the HQ Client as a service at all the store locations My issue is that the HQ Server shuts down and starts only when I double click on the HQ Server icon. I do close the window after I have a look at the HQ Server, I think that should be OK as I presume it should run in the backend. Or do I have to keep it minimized? It's frustrating as in the test environment it works fine even without setting it up as a service. Any help will ...

Number of Lines on SOP Picking Ticket Order Entered Form
Does anyone know how to accurately print the total number of lines on a picking ticket somewhere on the form? We tried adding the item number field to the page footer, and setting the field type to count, and it gives you double the number of lines on the report. This is most likely because we have 2 different sites for our items. We also tried dividing this number by 2 in a calculated field, but receive the error "Incompatible Operands" when trying to print. If anyone knows a way to get the number of lines, or how to divide the number we're getting by 2, it would be a...

new mailbox enabled accounts don't get mailbox
When creating a new user w/a mailbox enabled account in AD the mailbox doesn't get created. The recipient policy e- mail addresses are not created in the users object properties. If I manually add the addresses I get the following error in the Exchange server application log. "Failed to read attribute msExchUserAccountControl from Active directory for o=domain/ou=first administrative group/cn=recipients/cn=username". The source is MSExchangeIS, catatory general, event ID 9562. When I check the more information link I get a little more info about file name mdbmsg.dll...

Windows won't shut down
WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8 The blue screen with the message "Windows is shutting down" hangs and will not close. - Ray _________________________________________________ Check task manager to see what is running just before you shut down. "Ray" <rbarone@nwi.net> wrote in message news:%23Vb7JYP1KHA.776@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > WindowsXP Pro Sp3 IE8 > > The blue screen with the message "Windows is shutting down" hangs and will > not close. > > - > Ray > _________________________________________________ > ...

in Publisher, how do you expand the back round margins so the bac.
Please keep the subject short and sweet and use the message area to ask your question. Don't forget to tell us any applicable details and Publisher version. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "hunter" <hunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F8E62AEB-C2C9-42AA-8C99-9E446C7B416E@microsoft.com... > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.774 / Virus Database: 521 - Release Date: 10/7/2004 ...

Restoring old email from backed up pst file
Not sure if anyone can assist but here goes I had a bit of a problem with a hard drive and thankfully most recent backup was within the previous 3 weeks (personal computer) I had backed up the saved email on outlook as the pst file but when I go to import I get a message "properties for this information service must be defined prior to use". and then when I click on OK the message "The file C:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft \outlook\backup.pst is not a personal folders file". Of course, nothing happens. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance. Unfortunate...

How to Associate Capital Gains Category with Tax Line?
I want to associate the category ("Capital Gains") with the appropriate tax line. In practice, this is IRS form 1040 line 13a or IRS Schedule D line 1, for example. However, the "Tax Line Manager" doesn't give me the option of associating this category with any of those tax form lines. The only options are highly specialized lines on Schedule D, but none of them are the generic short term gains. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks for your help! ...

outlook keeps saying offline how to get over this problem?
I can not get Microsoft office outlook to open keeps saying that cannot open offline and that I can not get on line connection with it even though my internet was on line. I need this to sync my mobile urgently so anyone got any ideas????? PLEASE!! ...

Hiding rows: meaning of dark line?
I have a spreadsheet that, after saving as an Excel spreadsheet, is saved as an HTML file to be viewed in an Outlook folder. I have a number of rows that are hidden; there is a dark line in the spreadsheet that appears where the hidden rows are. When I view the HTML file in Outlook, nothing appears after where that dark line is. In other spreadsheets, including the one on which this spreadsheet is based, the hidden rows don't have the black line, and the rows after the hidden section are viewable in Outlook. What is the dark separator line telling me about my hidden rows? I...

graphics getting lost under background color
Hi I have black background color for my view BOOL CMyView::OnEraseBkgnd(CDC* pDC) { CRect rect; pDC->GetClipBox(&rect); pDC->PatBlt(rect.left, rect.top, rect.Width(), rect.Height(), BLACKNESS); return 1; } I draw some lines in void CMyView::OnDraw(CDC* pDC) { ... ... } I take my application in the background and again bring it in front. But all the graphics is lost. Why is that so.. To my knowledge OnEraseBkgnd is called first and then OnPaint that is OnDraw handler then why is that happening. Thanks Lee On 4 Apr 2006 00:29:56 -0700, "yang__lee@ausi.com" <yang_...

How to Draw Lines directly on the form
I have an external VB6 program that captures signatures from a touch pad by drawing directly on the from or a VB picture box. It uses the VB Pset and Line methods of the form and/or picture box object to do the actual drawing. Is there any way to do this in access using either the Image control or on an Access form itself? As far as I know in Access 2K neither of these controls have these methods available. I realize I may still have problems getting Access to play nice with the Active X control for the touch pad, but unless I can actually draw the signature I am pretty much stuck u...

Trouble Saving
Hi There is an Excel spreadsheet that is kept on a network drive. It was orginally created in Excel 2000 but is saved by users using Excel 2003. Most people experience no problems, but I have this problem when I save it: Every time I save it a new file is created in the folder where the spreadsheet is kept. This file appears to be a copy of the spreadsheet, but it has a Windows logo icon and a seemingly random alpha-numeric file name such as ABDF2003 There are macros in this spreadsheet that save it at certain stages and this results in a large number of these strange files being gene...

How to get rid of 'excess' rows?
Hi all, I noticed one of my spreadsheets was a really big file (500K) for something that should have been very small. So I opened it and noticed that even though I only have data in the first 35 rows, the spreadsheet contains 9000+ rows. I imagine there is some formatting or something that is telling Excel to keep all the rows as part of my file, and I don't know how to get rid of the rows. I can't just copy and paste the data into a new spreadsheet because I have a lot of formatting in the rows/columns that I don't wish to have to recreate. Thanks! BTW: OS is Win98, Excel ve...

How can I get the handles for a picture frame in Publisher?
Whenever I try to make a picture frame, I get an insert picture menu box instead of the frame itself. Upon clicking cancel, the entire box, menu, is deleted and I cannot get the box to get the handles to resize the picture. I should say an insert picture window appears. I am not able to create a picture box at all. "Pinto" wrote: > Whenever I try to make a picture frame, I get an insert picture menu box > instead of the frame itself. Upon clicking cancel, the entire box, menu, is > deleted and I cannot get the box to get the handles to resize the picture. Pinto w...

How to get user name which is active in windows
I am working a software which can set specific conf. for each user, so my program needs to know which user is active now, which API or MFC class can do it? -- Nothing impossible, Nothing sure GetUserName/GetUserNameEx --- Ajay I do it like this: // This function is useful for retrieving the current user name BOOL GetUser(CString &csUser) { TCHAR szUserName[80]; DWORD dwResult, cchBuff = 80; // Call the WNetGetUser function. dwResult = WNetGetUser(NULL, (LPTSTR) szUserName, &cchBuff); if(dwResult != NO_ERROR) return false; csUser = szUserName; ...

Line Spacing
I hit enter to create a new line but it insists on being double-spaced, even though the text I'm working with is single-spaced. How do I change this? Format - Paragraph -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "LindaE" <LindaE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB3CE15B-0694-40A4-9368-5BE2E727CE37@microsoft.com... >I hit enter to create a new line but it insists on being double-spaced, >even > though the text I'm working with is single-spaced. How do I change this? LindaE wrote: > I hit enter to create a new line but it insist...

Every time I go to microsoft office help on line it comes up in .
When I tried to change my langauge setting on Microsoft online help it keeps coming up Slovakian. Do i need to reinstall the program or is there another portal from which i can fix this program. ...

Drop down on every Line for a specific column?
Hi, I am entering data into a spreadsheet and then saving it as a .CSV fil so I can upload it to my site and minipulate the data. For example I have fields (column's) "ID", "Manufacturer", "Model" as per picture below. I want to have a list of Manufacturers in drop-down so I can eliminate spelling errors ect. But I want to hav the dropdown on every line as I go down... Can someone help me +---------------------------------------------------------------- | Attachment filename: sheet.jpg |Download attachment: http...

When Copying a sheet, the whole workbook gets copied
Every time I cut and paste a sheet, whole or part, when it gets pasted the whole workbook is pasted. I have tried copying the sheet from the tab but with the same result. Regards You may want to post more details. Rugby Al wrote: > > Every time I cut and paste a sheet, whole or part, when it gets pasted the > whole workbook is pasted. I have tried copying the sheet from the tab but > with the same result. > > Regards -- Dave Peterson ...

Context Menu troubles
I have created a menu resource called "IDR_CONTEXT" the entry in .rc is: IDR_CONTEXT MENU DISCARDABLE BEGIN MENUITEM "Delete", ID_DELETE MENUITEM SEPARATOR MENUITEM "Add Internal Effector", ID_ADDINTERNALEFFECTOR MENUITEM "Add External Effector", ID_ADDEXTERNALEFFECTOR MENUITEM SEPARATOR MENUITEM "Change State", ID_CHANGESTATE END In the view's OnContextMenu method: CMenu menuPopup; menuPopup.LoadMenu(IDR_CONTEXT); CMenu* pPopup = menuPopup.GetSubMenu(0); ASSERT_VA...

Getting details and adding text to the receipt
Hi... I want to get some details from the Receipt and also want to add some text to the receipt... How can I do this... I tried to this with session.variable was not able to successed. I want to do this through VB.Net... A example in VB will also do for me... Waiting for your reply... :-( Vicky... :-) Can provide a sample of what you have tried? Rob "Vicky" <Vicky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A75FF20D-9549-48DB-8C76-C2A544A321CD@microsoft.com... > Hi... > > I want to get some details from the Receipt and also want to add some > text...

How i change back to ABC
Some how top of worksheet column switched from ABC to 123. how i change it back Tools -- Options -- General -- Settings (R1C1 reference style *un*checked). Rgds, Andy Uncchek the L1C1 reference stylein Tools/Options/General >-----Original Message----- >Some how top of worksheet column switched from ABC to 123. >how i change it back >. > >-----Original Message----- >Some how top of worksheet column switched from ABC to 123. >how i change it back >. > If you go to Tools, Options, General Tab, Under Settings....Check OFF R1C1 reference style, Click OK. Hop...

Can't Get All Result From Sqlserver When Using "For Xml" Clause
I try to get a XML result from a Sql Server's stored procedure;I can get all result from this stored procedure when i kick "For Xml Auto/Raw/Explicit" away;In Contrast,I can't get all xml string from the same procedure when I add "for xml" clause; Any body enconterd same problem? What I need to do now? Thanks! ...

Plus sign added to Calendar subject line?
Outlook 2003 w/ Exchange 2007 server on the backend. We have a user who has given their secretary "Publishing Editor" permission to their calendar to make/edit entries. She has all permission boxes checked except "Folder Owner" & "Folder Contact". When the secretary adds a new appointment, it all looks good. After a few moments she will view the calendar and that entry now has "[+]" added to the beginning of the calendar subject line. What is that and why is it there?? Any ideas? Bill What addins are installed? Does the calen...

where to get "save as" button from excel 2007
as mentioned subject Click the Office icon (round thing in top left corner) Click Excel Options (bottom of dialog) Click Customize on left side of dialog Set "Choose commands from" to "all commands" at top of dialog Select the Save As icon and press the Add button in centre of screen OK out of the dialog Now QAT will have the Save As icon best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "crapit" <biggercrap@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23diLXs0rHHA.1296@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > as mentioned subject > ...