System Restore all off, still creating restore points on 2nd parti

Although we have System Restore turned off on all drives, restore points are
still being created on the secondary partitions.

The OS partiton is drive C, NTFS. The secondary partition is drive D, FAT32.

The restore points are being created when applications (i.e. DirectX,
WinDVD, etc.) are installed from the second partition (drive D). We must
install these from a secondary partition.

What are we missing? These restore points are filling up our drives.

Also, I thought System Restore wouldn't work on FAT32 drives?

Thanks,
--
Bill Baker

   Bill, I use two drives both formatted FAT32 and when I turn off System
Restore on all Drives, it's turned off. With NTFS you might have a issue
with permissions on the other drives
   But, just guessing.
"WB" <WB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Although we have System Restore turned off on all drives, restore points
> are
> still being created on the secondary partitions.
>
> The OS partiton is drive C, NTFS. The secondary partition is drive D,
> FAT32.
>
> The restore points are being created when applications (i.e. DirectX,
> WinDVD, etc.) are installed from the second partition (drive D). We must
> install these from a secondary partition.
>
> What are we missing? These restore points are filling up our drives.
>
> Also, I thought System Restore wouldn't work on FAT32 drives?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bill Baker

0
Rich
2/11/2010 2:50:08 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich. Not sure what permissions I should set or unset.

BTW: The System Restore Service is stopped, but restore points are still
being created. This makes no sense, unless it's an undocumented bug.

--
Bill Baker

WB wrote:
> Although we have System Restore turned off on all drives, restore points are
> still being created on the secondary partitions.
>
> The OS partiton is drive C, NTFS. The secondary partition is drive D, FAT32.
>
> The restore points are being created when applications (i.e. DirectX,
> WinDVD, etc.) are installed from the second partition (drive D). We must
> install these from a secondary partition.
>
> What are we missing? These restore points are filling up our drives.
>
> Also, I thought System Restore wouldn't work on FAT32 drives?
>
> Thanks,

Regardless of *why* these System Restore points are being created,
perhaps the best way for you to deal with the situation is to turn SR
*on* for all partitions and use the "Settings" tab of the SR User
Interface to set the amount of disk space to use to the minimum (move
slider all the way to the left). By default, in XP, SR uses 12% of the
partition, which is too much space on today's large drives even if you
*want* to have SR running. If System Restore runs out of the storage
space that has been allocated towards its use, it will delete the oldest
restore point in order to create space for the new restore point.

System Restore actually creates restore points under at least 5
different circumstances:

1. scheduled restore points (system checkpoints) (approx every 24 hours)
2. before a restore to a restore point (so you can UNDO the restore)
3. before installing Windows updates received via AutoUpdate
4. before installing an app that uses a SR-compatible installer (e.g.
InstallShield).
5. manually created restore points

Turning SR off *should* not only disable the creation of system
checkpoints (which also relies on the Task Scheduler service), but also
should stop SR from checking for events 3 and 4. You can use
services.msc to see if the System Restore service is actually stopped
when you tell it to "Turn off System Restore on all drives."

It may be that the applications that you are installing do not rely on
SR being triggered by the installation but instead create a manual
restore point. I know that some antimalware apps (e.g., Spybot Search &
Destroy) can optionally create a restore point prior to deleting malware
that the app has identified. Perhaps the apps you are installing do the
same. In this case, your SR configuration settings are being bypassed.

You can delete SR points that are created by your app installations. Use
the user interface to turn SR on for each partition that has SR points
and then turn it off or use the Disk Cleanup tool (cleanmgr.exe) for
each partition and specify "remove all but the most recent restore
point" on the "More Options" tab.

In Vista and Win 7, SR relies on the "shadow copy" feature of NTFS and
thus can't monitor FAT32 partitions. In XP, SR works differently (see,
e.g.,
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windowsvista/features/foreveryone/backup.mspx).

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem
2/11/2010 10:33:06 PM
On Feb 10, 9:31=A0pm, WB <W...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Although we have System Restore turned off on all drives, restore points =
are
> still being created on the secondary partitions.
>
> The OS partiton is drive C, NTFS. The secondary partition is drive D, FAT=
32.

> The restore points are being created when applications (i.e. DirectX,
> WinDVD, etc.) are installed from the second partition (drive D). We must
> install these from a secondary partition.
>
> What are we missing? These restore points are filling up our drives.
>
> Also, I thought System Restore wouldn't work on FAT32 drives?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bill Baker

Do you mean Automatic Restore Points are no longer being created, but
when you install some programs, the installation program creates a new
RP for you as part of the installation?

This is so you can restore back if the new program installation
fails.  If you don't like it, change it.

Restore points are set to only take 12% of your drive by default, but
you can adjust that.  It is damn near impossible for RPs to fill up a
HDD - they do not accumulate forever and will stop being created
before you run out of HDD unless something else is wrong.

How big is your HDD and what are your settings and would you like to
change them?

Perhaps a better understanding of how System Restore works will help
guide you and simultaneously relieve any possibility of  frustration
and misunderstandings.

0
Jose
2/12/2010 12:33:30 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was able to watch an OS installation and noticed
that a restore point is created immediately on my D drive (drive 0, partition
2). The files that it backed up are files that get copied from a network
share to the D partition (not necessarily when apps are installed from the D
drive).

I'll try setting the DiskPercent registry entry to "0" or "1". I did try to
set the "CreateFirstRunRp" to 0, but that didn't help.

We do need an "automated" method for disabling (or reducing the size of) the
system restore points.

Thanks again,
--
Bill Baker

"Jose" wrote:

> On Feb 10, 9:31 pm, WB <W...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Although we have System Restore turned off on all drives, restore points are
> > still being created on the secondary partitions.
> >
> > The OS partiton is drive C, NTFS. The secondary partition is drive D, FAT32.
> >
> > The restore points are being created when applications (i.e. DirectX,
> > WinDVD, etc.) are installed from the second partition (drive D). We must
> > install these from a secondary partition.
> >
> > What are we missing? These restore points are filling up our drives.
> >
> > Also, I thought System Restore wouldn't work on FAT32 drives?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Bill Baker
>
> Do you mean Automatic Restore Points are no longer being created, but
> when you install some programs, the installation program creates a new
> RP for you as part of the installation?
>
> This is so you can restore back if the new program installation
> fails.  If you don't like it, change it.
>
> Restore points are set to only take 12% of your drive by default, but
> you can adjust that.  It is damn near impossible for RPs to fill up a
> HDD - they do not accumulate forever and will stop being created
> before you run out of HDD unless something else is wrong.
>
> How big is your HDD and what are your settings and would you like to
> change them?
>
> Perhaps a better understanding of how System Restore works will help
> guide you and simultaneously relieve any possibility of  frustration
> and misunderstandings.
>

> .

Forms
I am currently developing a form in Publisher 2003. I need some of the responses on the form to be "required". For example, if a box is checked that a person is requesting vacation, the text field below it would be where the user would indicate his/her dates of vacation. If vacation is checked, the text field should be required. Or, even if I could just make it so the user must check a box for vacation vs. no vacation (even without dates), I would be happy with that. Any ideas, or am I not going to be able to accomplish this in Publisher? I didn't see any reference a...

Introduction to the maintenance of luxury watches recommendations the second point
2. Watch waterproof Waterproof watches rely on table mirror, rear cover, head, etc. to achieve waterproof apron corresponding standards. Water tables are all covered in the end playing a "WATER RESISTANT" or "WATER PROOF" of English words. Tag watches only dust-free water should avoid cleaning the bathroom. 30 meters (3ATM, that is 3 atm) water table, toilet or in the rain for daily use, that is, only the splashing water droplets on the surface but do not have any water pressure increases on the table. 50 meters waterproof table suitable for swimming and ge...

Date Formats for Cells Do not match System Date Formats
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I have just loaded Office 2008 and then update to the latest update 12.2.4 <br> I have my system preferences set to Australia for date and time using the date format dd/mm/yyyy. But in Excel when I open the format cell dialogue and select date the only formats available for selection are in the mm/dd/yyyy formats. When I checked in &quot;Numbers&quot; the dd/mm/yyyy format is used so &quot;Numbers&quot; is picking up the system preference why not the excel. Did you by any chance have ...

Create XML coforming to a XSD
Hello, I have data contained in different tables in the SQL Server database. Now I need to pull data from these tables (using a SP or a simple query) and then create a XML file that conforms to a particular XSD. I was just wondering if I could get any pointers on how I can use the .NET XML libraries to this. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Ganesh Hi Ganesh, The following article describes how you can use classes in the System.XML.Schema namespace of the Microsoft .NET Framework to build a tool that generates sample XML documents that conform to a given schema: http://msdn.micro...

Creating a Custom Border
I found how to make a custom border; however, publisher says my image is too complicated. I already have the border somewhere else, so I know it has been done. I can't use the border I already have though because when I stretch it the resolution is too low to use as full page border. I tried to change the format of the image to .bmp and .gif but that had no effect on being told that the image was too complicated. Any suggestions for either convincing publisher to use the image or to prevent the resolution on the already created border to look poor blown up? Or even a program that I ...

Zojirushi NP-HBC18 10-Cup Rice Cooker and Warmer with Induction Heating System, Stainless Steel
List Price:$388.00 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000MAIW1C Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000MAIW1C I love this rice cooker, I use it for brown rice mostly but my son and my daughter will have white rice some times. This new rice cooker has easy instructions, there is one time I'm on vacation , I told my son how to use this rice cooker in general and he did an excellent job. He told me one day he made sushi, he followed instruction that I told him, the rice came out perfectly. I was very surprised, even my son did not know how to cook,...

Cannot add system defined Incident attributes to the Case form.
This is a little goofy. I understand that the attributes defined under Incidents in the deployment manager are the ones to be used when customizing Cases. However, when I got to the Cases form to customize it, I can see less than half of the fields that were showing in the deployment manager. None of these fields are custom. I just want to add to the Case form some system defined fields. Has anyone seen this problem? Thanks Jay P.S: I have already published the schema, just in case those fields were not published the first time. Jay, When you go to "add" a field to a form, onl...

OL2K3
This one completely baffles me... Outlook 2003, POP only accounts. Normal operation: Mail is previewed and replied to. Randomly, it will stop marking the mail in the list as read or replied to. I didn't believe him at first, but I checked his sent mail and sure enough, all of them were replied to, but they shown as unread and not- replied-to on the normal list view. By the time I showed up, I it works fine, the flag goes to read-status as I preview through the emails. I've applied every update to Outlook there is to update. I have rebuilt his PST file from scratch, I have rebuilt hi...

Creating View where Case has been open for more than X days
Hello, I am trying to create a view to show me all Active cases that have been open for more than X number of days. The operand does not seem to be available in building the view. I see where I can define that the case was create in the last x days, but I kindof need a case was NOT created in the last X days. Any thoughts on how to do this? I am trying to show cases that are getting old since create date. Thanks There is nothing that I know of in the core product that would let you do this. Our add-on, VAST, by tracking all changes made to Microsoft CRM, also can tell you what DIDN'...

Dexterity
Anyone can advise on the above issue?? Much appreciated. Regards Ken Ken- I'm sure there are several ways, but here's what I do. This is going to be long.... Regards, Brenner (bklenzman@klenzmanconsulting.com). (1) create a script that dynamically executes the script below. Pass in the table name as a variable. tDex = ""; tDex = tDex + "close table " + sTableTechName + ". "; tDex = tDex + "open table " + sTableTechName + ". "; tDex = tDex + "close table " + sTableTechName + ". "; iErrCnt = execute(i...

Excel (2007) won't do a particular X-Y (Point) graph for me..
Hi, Well, Excel _does_ X-Y graphs, but not this one. I have, in the columns A, B, G, and E from row 7 to 5175, sequential time, data, and data (and dummy data) , respectively. When I make an X-Y plot using the time column for the X-axis, it plots as expected. But when I plot column B versus column D, I get column B on the Y-axis, and the (relative?) row number on the X-axis. (There are gaps in the data, but any gaps plot alright in a smaller data sub set, even if they are not matched). My workaround consists of plotting B versus D and E, and then remove E ;-) Somehow it seems Excel won&#...

Create a column upon insertion or overwriting of data.
Hello, What should I read up on, where to look, what is the function or feature called, to learn how Excel spreadsheet be configured so that upon insertion or overwriting data in a cell, a new cell will be populated with the results that display relative difference and a percentage of change ? Peter Hi Peter, You should look at the Worksheet_Change event. If you are not familiar with macros, you may wish to visit David McRitchie's 'Getting Started With Macros And User Defined Functions' at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm For information on event ...

create a new user
I just created a new user in GP 8.0, assigned the user to a class, and company. I checked SQL Server and found the user is also created in database. But I got "There isn't a valid login record on the server for the user ID and password you entered." when I tried to login the new user. Do I need to do more to create a new user? Please help. Thanks. You need to have the SQL options Create Server Logons as well as Create Database Users turned on. This can be done through GPUtilities -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help lea...

Help me ! I want to create two or more functions work in one cell.
I want to create two or more functions to works in one cell, respectively: IF(AND(B5=B21,A5=A22),SUM(C5),"") and IF(AND(B5=B21,A6=A22),SUM(C6),"") Independently they work but when I�m ordering one by one in sell appears FEALS. I tried to apply before OR , IF(OR �. , but something�s wrong. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com One way: =(B5=B21)*((A5=A22)*C5 + (A6=A22)*C6) In article <506CF7B1FC9F0@OfficeKB.com>, "peter via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote: > I want to create two or more functions to works in one cell...

how to use a message which cannot create by classwidar
I want use CWnd::OnDeviceChange() but,I may must do it by myself. I try it ,but it cannot work. how to do it? thanks a lot. valkyrie wrote: > I want use CWnd::OnDeviceChange() > but,I may must do it by myself. > I try it ,but it cannot work. > how to do it? > > > thanks a lot. > > Any Windows message can be handled by typing an ON_MESSAGE line into your message map: BEGIN_MESSAGE_MAP(..., ...) ... ON_MESSAGE(WM_DEVICECHANGE, OnDeviceChange) END_MESSAGE_MAP() -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] ...

Chart Type to use? (XY Scatter points over time)
I have not used charts very often and am not sure how to capture the data mentioned below properly within a chart/graph. Currently I have a graph (XY scatter point), which plots 2 percentages (ability to plan vs ability to deliver) against each other. So the data points are plotted for about 17 series (E1, E2, etc for simplicity) which places them in the graph in the 4 possible quadrants in the graph. This is performed monthly. This works fine. The new requirement is to show trending of these intersected dots. So they want to see the trend of where these intersection points occur over ti...

font does not restore after entering date
Example: When I type the text December 28th in Ariel 11 the th automactically reduces to a smaller font and when I tap space bar to continue it is suppose to revert back to the lager font , most of the time it just continues to type at that small font why is it being so Inconsistent. I recently reformatted my hard Drive and when I reinsatlled office this proble still continued. 2nd question. When I post a question and check the "Notify me of replies" box I never receive a reply I always have to go the the site to search my response. I deleted my profile an...

create a list of worksheet names (from a single folder, or open files)
I need to create a list of worksheet names (tabs) or all the files (I'd like the file names as well, but think I've already found the add in from http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/index.html that does that part) the purpose is to create a list - from which I will use concatenate to make formulas linking to all the worksheets (they are all formated the same) so I can summarize financial information. (I use concatenate) make massive page of formulas and past special values to another page (creating text that upon adding an = sign in front will become formuals) I've found th...

create a relationship to either a contact or a company
Hi I notice that a case has a very nice feature. It has a single field customerid and two relationships mapping customerid to either a contact or a company, thus allowing the user to specify either a contact or a company when filling in the customer field. I've tried this with a custom entity and (not surprisingly) it fails when I try to create the second mapping with the error that the schema name is already in use. Can anybody suggest a clean way around this? cheers Mike ...

Re. money 2000 restore
Cal, I did download a trial version of AMPR from Elcomsoft that would give the first 3 charecters of a password. My husband has Money 2002 but won't be home with his laptop for a few days, so I tired AMPR first. Earlier, when I tried to restore the Money account from floppy I had 2 differant files that I tried to use, both were .mbf files. One came up as unknown format, the other finally loaded to the point that I needed a password to complete the restore. After several attempts, I finally got one file to read .mny in my documents. I ran a check with AMPR on all of those files...

Create file fails for virtual com port zero
Hi all, I am trying to configure com port zero for virtual com port and create file fails when trying to open port zero . Please see the code snippet below for your reference HANDLE h = RegisterDevice (L"COM", 0, L"btd.dll", (DWORD)&pp); if(h == NULL) { printf(" Register bluetooth comm port failed handle returns NULL with error %d\n",GetLastError()); Sleep(10000); return FALSE; } wsprintf (szComPort, L"COM%d:", index); HANDLE hCommPort = CreateFile (L"COM0:", GENERIC_READ | GENERIC_WRITE, 0, NULL, OPEN_EXIST...

Exchange restores from backup tapes
Is there a way to restore an Exchange backup from one server into another temporary Exchange server without knowing the server or domain name from the backup or having to recreate the configuration as it existed on the backup? Any help would be appreciated. This tool may help http://nkibben.excelrecovery.com/exchangeserver/index.htm <stricky@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:tvvf21ltvm1l97g1mlctgmg27fq81vvo2n@4ax.com... > Is there a way to restore an Exchange backup from one server into > another temporary Exchange server without knowing the server or domain > name from t...

how can i create link between two sheets
if i want to registar someone in sheet1 with condition of if this person in level 2 his name must appear in sheet 2 in specific schedual "samer aljayeh" wrote: > if i want to register someone in sheet1 > with condition of if this person in level 2 > his name must appear in sheet 2 in specific schedule Venturing a guess here .. Try this sample construct (from my archives): http://savefile.com/files/8936561 Auto-Extract_Data_to_Own_Sheet_by_Category.xls Adapt to suit .. The key "Cat" column in the sample would correspond to, in your case, the key column hou...

restoring a corrupt HQ backup database?
Hi, does anyone know anything about restoring an HQ .bck file that may be corrupted? I tried restoring a very important database of ours (~1.6GB) and HQ Administrator says that "the file cannot be read"--so, it doesn't specifically say that it is corrupt, but... We are located in Oakland, CA so if anyone can help us restore this backup file please respond. thanks much, kamal Kamal Hood wrote: > We are located in Oakland, CA so if anyone can help us restore this backup > file please respond. Do you have enterprise manager to try with it? Antonio i don't know wh...

Error Message Invalid Handle 80090301 In Exchange System Manager
I get this message when I try to view the properties of a public folder. This server was upgraded from Exchange 2000 to 2003. I can't find any reference to this. Any ideas how I can trouble-shoot this? ...