Slipstreaming Problem

Hi
In the past I have sucessfully slipstreamed windows xp home from the
original cd to SP2 and it all works OK.  However I have just slipstreamed
from the original cd to SP3 and when I use it to reinstall XP it starts up
as you expect, loads the usuall instaltion files and goes to reboot.
Leaving the cd in the drive it just goes around and does it all again.  Take
the cd out at this stage it asks for the cd and continues as you would
expect.  Whats going on?  Another question is do you have to slipstream in
stages?  For example from the original cd to SP2 to SP3 or original cd
straight to SP3.  I have read a lot on net but its not clear.  I do hope
someone can help.
Regards
Grandad

0
Grandad

Grandad wrote:
> In the past I have sucessfully slipstreamed windows xp home from the
> original cd to SP2 and it all works OK.  However I have just
> slipstreamed from the original cd to SP3 and when I use it to
> reinstall XP it starts up as you expect, loads the usuall
> instaltion files and goes to reboot. Leaving the cd in the drive it
> just goes around and does it all again.  Take the cd out at this
> stage it asks for the cd and continues as you would expect.  Whats
> going on?  Another question is do you have to slipstream in stages?
> For example from the original cd to SP2 to SP3 or original cd
> straight to SP3.  I have read a lot on net but its not clear.  I do
> hope someone can help.

Don't "Press any key to boot from CD" during the process except the first
time.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
2/11/2010 2:13:26 PM
Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Grandad wrote:
>> In the past I have sucessfully slipstreamed windows xp home from the
>> original cd to SP2 and it all works OK.  However I have just
>> slipstreamed from the original cd to SP3 and when I use it to
>> reinstall XP it starts up as you expect, loads the usuall
>> instaltion files and goes to reboot. Leaving the cd in the drive it
>> just goes around and does it all again.  Take the cd out at this
>> stage it asks for the cd and continues as you would expect.  Whats
>> going on?  Another question is do you have to slipstream in stages?
>> For example from the original cd to SP2 to SP3 or original cd
>> straight to SP3.  I have read a lot on net but its not clear.  I do
>> hope someone can help.
>
> Don't "Press any key to boot from CD" during the process except the
> first time.

Agreed. :-)

Furthermore, slipstreaming need not be done in stages. You can go
directly to SP3 if you wish, even from "Gold." See:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd_final.htm

0
Daave
2/11/2010 2:33:48 PM
Thank you Shenan and Daave your help.

I think I have found the "Boot" problem.  The machine was set to boot from
CD then HD  so I'm going to try the install again.

I'm pleased to be able to go straight SP3.  The system is showing SP3 but is
it reasonable to have in excess of 60 updates to still download?  If so can
they also be included in the Slipstream?

Thanks Again
Grandad

"Grandad" <mick@sherwooditsolutions.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi
> In the past I have sucessfully slipstreamed windows xp home from the
> original cd to SP2 and it all works OK.  However I have just slipstreamed
> from the original cd to SP3 and when I use it to reinstall XP it starts up
> as you expect, loads the usuall instaltion files and goes to reboot.
> Leaving the cd in the drive it just goes around and does it all again.
> Take the cd out at this stage it asks for the cd and continues as you
> would expect.  Whats going on?  Another question is do you have to
> slipstream in stages?  For example from the original cd to SP2 to SP3 or
> original cd straight to SP3.  I have read a lot on net but its not clear.
> I do hope someone can help.
> Regards
> Grandad

0
Grandad
2/11/2010 2:49:56 PM
Grandad wrote:
> Thank you Shenan and Daave your help.
>
> I think I have found the "Boot" problem.  The machine was set to
> boot from CD then HD  so I'm going to try the install again.
>
> I'm pleased to be able to go straight SP3.  The system is showing
> SP3 but is it reasonable to have in excess of 60 updates to still
> download?  If so can they also be included in the Slipstream?

First - if you aren't doing this in a business environment (even if you
are - it's time to consider not using XP anymore) my suggestion would be to
not worry with all this slipstreaming, etc.  Get an imaging utility, install
Windows XP base the way you want it - and updated - make an image and keep
it around for when things go wrong and you need to start over.  Combine that
with your regular backup routine and you have what you need to quickly
restore the computer to a working/clean state with only the stuff your
concerned with on the system.

Second - what you discovered should not have to be changed.  The system (as
it was set with CD first) should come up and the Windows XP CD should ask
you each time to "Press any key to boot from CD..." and as long as you do
not press a key, you don't boot from the Windows XP CD - no matter what your
BIOS settings are - unless you have removed that somehow - which is not done
by integrating the service pack using the native Microsoft tools.

Last - yes - you can integrate many post-SP3 patches as well as SP3.  the
/integrate switch works with MANY updates release by Microsoft for Windows
XP.  If you went the third party route to do the integration, nLite can
integrate patches as well.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
2/11/2010 3:08:05 PM
Thank you Shenan

Do I have to download all the individual updates from Microsoft and how do I
intergrate them?

Again many thanks
Grandad.

> Grandad wrote:
>> Thank you Shenan and Daave your help.
>>
>> I think I have found the "Boot" problem.  The machine was set to
>> boot from CD then HD  so I'm going to try the install again.
>>
>> I'm pleased to be able to go straight SP3.  The system is showing
>> SP3 but is it reasonable to have in excess of 60 updates to still
>> download?  If so can they also be included in the Slipstream?
>
> First - if you aren't doing this in a business environment (even if you
> are - it's time to consider not using XP anymore) my suggestion would be
> to not worry with all this slipstreaming, etc.  Get an imaging utility,
> install Windows XP base the way you want it - and updated - make an image
> and keep it around for when things go wrong and you need to start over.
> Combine that with your regular backup routine and you have what you need
> to quickly restore the computer to a working/clean state with only the
> stuff your concerned with on the system.
>
> Second - what you discovered should not have to be changed.  The system
> (as it was set with CD first) should come up and the Windows XP CD should
> ask you each time to "Press any key to boot from CD..." and as long as you
> do not press a key, you don't boot from the Windows XP CD - no matter what
> your BIOS settings are - unless you have removed that somehow - which is
> not done by integrating the service pack using the native Microsoft tools.
>
> Last - yes - you can integrate many post-SP3 patches as well as SP3.  the
> /integrate switch works with MANY updates release by Microsoft for Windows
> XP.  If you went the third party route to do the integration, nLite can
> integrate patches as well.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>     MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Grandad
2/11/2010 3:18:31 PM
Grandad wrote:
> In the past I have sucessfully slipstreamed windows xp home from the
> original cd to SP2 and it all works OK.  However I have just
> slipstreamed from the original cd to SP3 and when I use it to
> reinstall XP it starts up as you expect, loads the usuall
> instaltion files and goes to reboot. Leaving the cd in the drive it
> just goes around and does it all again.  Take the cd out at this
> stage it asks for the cd and continues as you would expect.  Whats
> going on?  Another question is do you have to slipstream in stages?
> For example from the original cd to SP2 to SP3 or original cd
> straight to SP3.  I have read a lot on net but its not clear.  I do
> hope someone can help.

<wondering about the stuff being replied to?  so is everyone else.>
<OP replied to themselves and referred to the other replies.>
<no worries - archives are wonderful things.>

<archived entire conversation>
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/e33f91160462ed3a/

Grandad wrote:
> Thank you Shenan
>
> Do I have to download all the individual updates from Microsoft and
> how do I intergrate them?

You do have to download the updates you want to integrate.

How did you integrate SP3?  Same procedure for each update. ;-)
The /integrate switch or nLite or various other third party products..

Many people utilize tools like AutoStreamer or nLite to intgrate/slipstream
updates into the installation media. nLite (I believe) has a way/hack that
'integrates' Internet Explorer 7 - but to be honest, _I_ would not do that.

Getting the updates - that is fairly simple.

One way...

You can see the critical (security and other) patches released for a given
month using the following:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms##-***.mspx

At the end of this line you see "ms##-***.mspx" .. If you simply replace ##
with the two-digit year and the *** with the three character month
abbreviation, you will see the list of "critical" and "important" patches
for that month (since it only happens once a month usually, if you check by
the second Tuesday (wait until afternoon) of each month - you should be
fine) - note that future months will not work - although they may have an
"Advance Notification for" in place when the actual time approaches.

Example:

November 2009
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms09-nov.mspx

Another way...

Windows Updates Downloader
http://www.windowsupdatesdownloader.com/

Another way...

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 DVD5 image files from the
Microsoft Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086

The second is truly the easiest for most people. Most of the updates you
can get have an /integrate switch. Pretty much the same way you do the
service packs.

Although many people use the nlite/autostreamer and other similar tools - I
stick with the original.

Copy the installation CD files to a directory on a Windows XP system (I
prefer doing the integration on a working system of the same version,
although it is not usually necessary...) - preferably a short path like
"C:\WinXP". Downloading the full latest service pack and the patches I want
to integrate using one of the methods above and putting them all into a
different (but short as well) path like "C:\XPPatch" - no sub-directories.

Integrating the service pack first - in this case, given what I have, the
command would be:

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

and after some time, it would be done.

Then I would integrate the other patches that I could. There would be
*quite a few* updates, so I could either do them one-by-one using this
command with the appropriate substitutions...

"C:\XPPatch\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe" /integrate:C:\WinXP

Or I could create a batch script to run through and do them for me:

<start batch script here - copy below this line>

set sourcedir=C:\WinXP
set patchdir=C:\XPPatch

for %%U in (%patchdir%\WindowsXP-KB??????-x86-enu.exe) DO (
if not exist %svcpackdir%\%%U (
@ECHO Now integrating %%U . . .
@ECHO.
start /wait %%U /integrate:%sourcedir%
)
)

@ECHO Windows XP Updates Integrated into your Installation Media.
@ECHO Burn your new media.
<end batch script here - copy above this line>

And running that would integrate the majority of the available patches and
automatically integrate them - only pausing for me to click OK on each of
the patches "Success" or "Failure" messages. You could make it silent with
a little modification.

The reason it cannot get them all is that some patches do not integrate and
some do not use the same naming scheme (although you could rename them so
they do...)

I then use BBIE (Bart's Boot Image Extractor) to take the 'boot image' off
the original Windows XP CD and save it to a file so I can burn a bootable
Windows XP CD with the integrations I have made. Depending on what CD
burning software or ISO creation software you use - the instructions can
differ a bit here... This part is important when burning to CD: Set Load
segment of sectors (hex) to 0000 and set Number of loaded sectors to 4. Or
at least that is something I always remember.

That's just the way I have done it - even though I have used the other
methods, I find that one the most reliable.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
2/11/2010 3:32:06 PM
In news:OBWP9cyqKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
Daave <daave@example.com> typed:
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>> Grandad wrote:
>>> In the past I have sucessfully slipstreamed windows xp home from the
>>> original cd to SP2 and it all works OK.  However I have just
>>> slipstreamed from the original cd to SP3 and when I use it to
>>> reinstall XP it starts up as you expect, loads the usuall
>>> instaltion files and goes to reboot. Leaving the cd in the drive it
>>> just goes around and does it all again.  Take the cd out at this
>>> stage it asks for the cd and continues as you would expect.  Whats
>>> going on?  Another question is do you have to slipstream in stages?
>>> For example from the original cd to SP2 to SP3 or original cd
>>> straight to SP3.  I have read a lot on net but its not clear.  I do
>>> hope someone can help.
>>
>> Don't "Press any key to boot from CD" during the process except the
>> first time.
>
> Agreed. :-)
>
> Furthermore, slipstreaming need not be done in stages. You can go
> directly to SP3 if you wish, even from "Gold." See:
>
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd_final.htm

That tutorial was done on SP2 if you noticed. MS has said from day one of
SP3 that 1 or 2 must be there to get a smooth install. He does allude to
workarounds but ... I'm not so sure they'll work.
   Using Microsoft's prequisites and methods articles is the easiest way to
get the process straight. Seems like a lot of work to me though, just to
avoid putting 2 CDs into the optical drive. And then you still have all the
updates since SP3 came out, with more coming every couple of weeks.

HTH,

Twayne

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

0
Twayne

Twayne wrote:
> That tutorial was done on SP2 if you noticed. MS has said from day
> one of SP3 that 1 or 2 must be there to get a smooth install. He
> does allude to workarounds but ... I'm not so sure they'll work.
>   Using Microsoft's prequisites and methods articles is the easiest
> way to get the process straight. Seems like a lot of work to me
> though, just to avoid putting 2 CDs into the optical drive. And
> then you still have all the updates since SP3 came out, with more
> coming every couple of weeks.

SP1/2 is required to install SP3 onto a working/installed Windows XP system.
SP1/2 is *not* required to slipstream/integrate SP3 into the installation
media.

Been there - done that.  Windows XP RTM CD (no service packs) to Windows XP
SP3 CD (integrated SP3).
(Also have done SP1 and SP2 CDs to SP3 - no issues.)

And integrating service packs and patches into Windows XP is not that hard,
made even simpler with things like AutoStreamer and nLite - actually taking
less time to integrate and burn the new CD than it would to install and then
install the service packs afterwards just once.  Doing it more than once -
then you have definitely saved time and effort.

As I have said elsewhere though - you shouldn't be installing that much as a
home user and if you are running a business and are needing to install this
much, it is time to re-evaluate why and/or how.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
2/11/2010 5:13:30 PM
Twayne wrote:
> In news:OBWP9cyqKHA.5940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
> Daave <daave@example.com> typed:
>> Shenan Stanley wrote:
>>>
>>> Don't "Press any key to boot from CD" during the process except the
>>> first time.
>>
>> Agreed. :-)
>>
>> Furthermore, slipstreaming need not be done in stages. You can go
>> directly to SP3 if you wish, even from "Gold." See:
>>
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd_final.htm
>
> That tutorial was done on SP2 if you noticed.

Yes, I certainly noticed that. I was referring specifically to this bit:

"That is not to say you can't use a Gold Edition CD as the basis for a
slipstreamed CD. That is certainly possible, and it does install without
problems as far as I can tell, but you will have to enter the product
key during the installation procedure rather than have the option to
defer entering it until after installation is complete."

> MS has said from day
> one of SP3 that 1 or 2 must be there to get a smooth install. He does
> allude to workarounds but ... I'm not so sure they'll work.

It works. Try it yourself if you want to verify this from first-hand
experience.

>   Using Microsoft's prequisites and methods articles is the easiest
> way to get the process straight. Seems like a lot of work to me
> though, just to avoid putting 2 CDs into the optical drive. And then
> you still have all the updates since SP3 came out, with more coming
> every couple of weeks.

It's good for thos who want to be able to perform a Repair Install or
run Recovery Console. But I think a much better strategy is to regularly
image the hard drive.

0
Daave
2/11/2010 5:33:02 PM
Thank you everyone, following your advice I now have sucessfully created a
CD.

> [...]
> a little modification.
>
> The reason it cannot get them all is that some patches do not integrate
> and
> some do not use the same naming scheme (although you could rename them so
> they do...)
>
> I then use BBIE (Bart's Boot Image Extractor) to take the 'boot image' off
> the original Windows XP CD and save it to a file so I can burn a bootable
> Windows XP CD with the integrations I have made. Depending on what CD
> burning software or ISO creation software you use - the instructions can
> differ a bit here... This part is important when burning to CD: Set Load
> segment of sectors (hex) to 0000 and set Number of loaded sectors to 4. Or
> at least that is something I always remember.
>
> That's just the way I have done it - even though I have used the other
> methods, I find that one the most reliable.

Background problem
I would like to add a background to a Visio drawing. But whenever I try dragging a background (from the background stencil) to my drawing, the background appears in the *corner* of my diagram only. I think that this has to do with the orientation of the page. My drawing is portrait and the background appears to be landscape. I tried to copy-and-paste the background. This appears to work (the dragged background fits over my drawing perfectly) but then hides my drawing! And I can see how to bring my drawing to the foreground. Visio is a nice programe - with a bad interface and help system. ...

The problem with Moneydance
The problem with stuff like moneydance, is it's basically a hand full of people working on it. Support is hard to obtain, only via email. All imports I've done have been way, WAY off. Every Account needed massive tweaking. Documentation barely there. Entering transactions are a little confusing too. Quicken is really bloated. I have a few simple things to track 1. Credit cards 2. (2) checking accounts 3. Savings account 4. Wife's 403B 5. My 401k 6. (2) oppenheimer accounts. I don't really use budget planning reports, or anything like that. I run the monthly r...

problem creating report
I have 15 working forms from 2 diferant colums from one table what I want is to run each query on its own line of a report with 4 calculations at the end I can select 1 query and produce the first line but how do I move to second line and query? thanks Duane Hookom wrote: > This is a really unusual question. What do your forms and columns have to do > with your queries and report? > > A report can have only one record source. This record source could be a > union query. You can also use subreports to display additional queries. > thank you ...

Problems installing IM on server
We recently upgraded to Dynamics GP 9.0, when we tried to upgrade/install integration manager on the server, it refused to complete the install and rolled back the installation. However when we installed it on a client machine, the installation/upgrade went through without a hitch. Why am I having a problem loading it on the server? I've never loaded IM on the server. Only on workstations. The only thing that should be on the server for IM is the IM Database for shared access. "Leni" wrote: > We recently upgraded to Dynamics GP 9.0, when we tried to upgrade/install ...

Conditional Formatting Problem #7
Is there a way to make conditonal formatting work when there is a formula in the cell? Conditional foramtting works if there is no formula in the cell. If one sheet is linked to another that doesn't work either. Is there a way to get around this? Under conditonal formatting there is a conditon "formula is." What would you put in there to have the cell format they you would like? There are two different things: a) the cell, containing a cell formula, a value or nothing b) the condition, containing a boolean formula (formula is) - b) can refer to a), but a) referring to a...

Form Header Control problem
I have a form based on a query that displays fields in the form header and data is entered in the detail section. When I use the record selector to go through the records the data in the detail area is updated but not the header section. I added the header section so that I could insert a tab control at the top of the detail section. Thanks in advance for any input. ...

Outlook 2003 Cached Mode problems
I have a client who successfully connects to an Exchange server using Outlook 2003 in Cached Mode. All with the exception of one is working fine. This particular user, all of a sudden is unable to connect. Symptoms started with new messages not appearing. With Cached Mode off all is fine but as the server is remote it is deadly slow. The OST has been deleted, the Profile has been created, Outlook has been repair, and even uninstalled and reinstalled, but always the same problem. The Calendar and the Contacts sync fine, then early on through the Inbox it stops. Nothing else syncs. I have...

Field text range problem

Problem with data using IF and Nested IF statements possibly???
Afternoon All I am attempting to analyse data from multiple worksheets from numerous people the incoming data all has one thing in common column A this is a certain frequency a job is done. The problem is that there are many ways of entering the data ie 12 months or 52 weeks or 365 days all essentially meaning the same thing. My idea is to collate the data in col A and then using the Helper column as the standard frequencies ie if cell A1 = 12 months, closes frequency in helper is 52 weeks therefore value in C1 = 52 weeks. By using an IF statement I can change the value of one frequen...

Activities Follow-Up Problem
When I create a new phone call activity through the activities of a Lead, the Sender, Recipient and Phone Number fields are populated. However, when I create a phone call using the "Follow-Up" option from within the lead or another activity, that information does not come over . This is a real pain, because the beauty of the "Follow-Up" feature is that you don't have to go back to the activity list to add calls. Any Ideas why this happends ? Thanks Hi Carlos, I know that's the pain and I have seen that problem before at different clients. first I think t...

problem Opening jpg's only
Recently, in Outlook 2003, I noticed that I can';t open and view jpg's anymore. Other attachements (mpg, pdf) are fine. I get the message: 'The system cannot find the file specified' I can save the file to disk and can view it easily just by clicking on it. It happens whether McAfee antivirus is enabled or disabled. I don't think it is level 1 attachments which are being blocked as in Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 829982. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Craig I am having the same issue. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks Jeremy >-----Original M...

Outlook Express Mail Rules Problem
Hi, I'm using OE 6.0 on my home system and have a number of rules setup to either move incoming mail to specific folders or to delete it based on subject or message content. The delete rules are the last ones in the list. I've recently changes a couple of rules and now I find mail being deleted which should have been moved into a folder. The rules look okay. Is there a registry key or a file somewhere in the system which might be the problem? TIA Bernie -- bernie@ms-training.org.uk MS Training and Consultancy http://www.ms-training.org.uk Since Outlook Express is part o...

problem...
When I am sending an email with an attachment of size 11mb for instance, I can not cancel the transmission. When I try to open the concerning message in the outbox, outlook says you can not open the item, it is being transmitted... Nor can I delete it. I hate this problem and cant solve it. Please guide me. Running against Exchange server or with a local data file? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "exciter" <t24680@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23FeC9c8hGHA.3408@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > When I am sending an email with an attachment of size 11mb for instance, >...

Hyperlink problem to cell in same workbook
I have a hyperlink created by a VB program that should link to a cell on a different worksheet within the same book. The hyperlink code currently is as follows: =HYPERLINK(ADDRESS(4,2,1,FALSE,"MultipleAliases"),"MULTIPLE DP ALIASES") MultipleAliases is a separate worksheet and I want the link to jump to row 4 cell 2 on this sheet. I realise that normally you need a spreadsheet identifier as part of the worksheet definition, thus the "MultipleAliases" would be "[FILE1.XLS]MultipleAliases" if this was saved as FILE1.XLS. If I do save this file wi...

Attached file problem
Outlook 2003 refuses to open an attachment sent to me with the name Confirmation.rtf giving out the message: "Cannot create file: Confirmation.rtf. Right click the folder you want to create the file in and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder." However if the same file is sent with a different name (say confirm.rtf) then Outlook is quite happy to open it! I have hundreds of emails in my Sent Items folder each with an attachment called Confirmation.rtf - could this be the cause of the problem? Incidentally I can't open any of...

Email routing problem
Hello all, I would appreciate advices for the following scenario. I have three mail servers responsible for SMTP address spaces A, B, and C. Only server A is public. It is being used as a front-end SMTP router and also runs anti-spam and anti-virus. Servers B and C host mailboxes for two overlapping sets of users - I mean that some users have mailboxes on both servers and connect to either one depending on what computer they are using. Only server B is Exchange 2003; server C is just a third party IMAP server. Server A is Sendmail and runs on Linux. It is configured to forward all incoming em...

Merge Problems
I'm not sure if this question should be in word or excel forums, so let me know. I have created a spreadsheet that pulls data from an excel sheet to complete the merge in word. One of the cells that transfers over is a formula that calculates a score. I want the merge to show the number that's in the cell. The cells are formatted to show through one decimal space. When I merge over, it shows the entire number that excel calculates. I can't figure out if I need to change the excel cells, or the word merge document to just show the numbers through the first deci...

what's the problem with online quote server?
For the past month or two, it's unavailable most of the time. Money keeps telling me to check my internet connection, which is not the problem. I have tried updating prices online at different days of week and different times of day, but I think the success rate is less than 10%. ...

Printing problem with the excel 97 to Excel XP
After i made a worksheet using Excel 97 and print it. I copy that file and opened it in excel XP and print it, but my problem is the spacing which is not the same as it was using excel 97. If you changed your operating system at the same time that you upgraded Excel, you may need a new print driver. Go to the printer manufacturer's web site, and check for downloads available for your printer and operating system. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > After i made a worksheet using Excel 97 and print it. I > copy that file and opened it in excel XP and print it, but ...

Problems printing from Publisher
This is wierd. Any document I print fro Publisher to my Panasonic KX-P7100 laser printer gets enlarged by a factor of four or more - so it only prints out the top left hand corner (but enlarged). None of the other programs on the computer do this. I've installed all the updates and I've got the most updated drivers for the printer. Any suggestions? Maybe uninstalling and reinstalling the printer would help. Panasonic has an utility that will remove all the printer files. Starting fresh could be a solution, Publisher is more demanding on printer issues than most applications. ht...

scroll bar problem
When I left click and drag the horizontal or vertical scroll bars in Excel , nothing scrolls. All I get is a pop-up box that indicates a row or column # (and then movement after releasing the left mouse button). Scroll works fine on web pages. Any ideas? That's the normal Excel scrollbar dragging behavior up thorough Excel 2000. Starting with Excel 2002 the scrolling was real time. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Problem after MS Update KB978207
Hi All, After installing KB978207 we found we had no network connection and IPSec eventId: 7023. Has anyone else installed this yet or found a solution to this? Thanks, Nick My guess is this is that old DNS reserved ports issue that can happen randomly on any reboot and has nothing to do with KB978207. Make sure you add the DNS reservation patch to fix your IPSec booting issue: http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2009/03/11/sbs-2003-and-dns-patch-issues-revisited.aspx -- Allan Williams Nick wrote: > Hi All, > > After installing KB97820...

XML Problem

cell format update problem #2
say, c1, c2 is formatted as text. and a1,a2,b1, b2 are formatted as general. a1=1,a2=2, b1=1, b2 =2 and I entered c1 =a1+b1, c1 shows =a1+a2 as it is, not 3. I drag the corner of c1 and copy c1 to c2, c2 is a2+b2, So I have to F2 and enter all the cells, c1, c2. Is there a way other than "F2" and "Enter"? Consider formating c1 and c2 as general. Good Luck. "news.microsoft.com" wrote: > say, > c1, c2 is formatted as text. > and a1,a2,b1, b2 are formatted as general. > > a1=1,a2=2, b1=1, b2 =2 > > and I entered c1 =a1+b1, > c1 shows...

Remote installation problem
We have a few Windows 98 machines left in our shop that had their original Office 2000 installation done from a network location. These machines mysteriously started acting up this morning. Sometimes Outlook would open and work fine, then other times it would open, then after opening a message it would lock up. Nothing had been changed on the pc's, but the only thing I could think of was that we had decommissioned a server last night. Turns out, this was the server with the network share that the original install was performed from. Sure enough, I turned the server back on, and...