Search utility does not work for media files.

I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to find
files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify Winamp media
file in the Type of file field, then zero results are returned. It will still
work if I do not specify a type of file (leave it on All Files and Folders),
but searches take considerably longer this way.

"Barry_M" <BarryM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to find
> files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify Winamp
> media
> file in the Type of file field, then zero results are returned. It will
> still
> work if I do not specify a type of file (leave it on All Files and
> Folders),
> but searches take considerably longer this way.

Thanks, that's good to know. I guess I won't try to search that way.
--
SC Tom

0
SC
7/23/2010 10:03:43 AM
Barry_M wrote:
> I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to
> find files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify
> Winamp media file in the Type of file field, then zero results are
> returned. It will still work if I do not specify a type of file
> (leave it on All Files and Folders), but searches take considerably
> longer this way.

So don't use Windows Search. Use Agent Ransack instead (free, fast, and
flexible).

0
HeyBub
7/24/2010 4:55:24 PM

"HeyBub" wrote:

> Barry_M wrote:
> > I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to
> > find files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify
> > Winamp media file in the Type of file field, then zero results are
> > returned. It will still work if I do not specify a type of file
> > (leave it on All Files and Folders), but searches take considerably
> > longer this way.
>
> So don't use Windows Search. Use Agent Ransack instead (free, fast, and
> flexible).

Thanks; I have downloaded Ransack, but I would still like to fix Windows
Search if that is possible.

"HeyBub" wrote:

> Barry_M wrote:
> > I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to
> > find files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify
> > Winamp media file in the Type of file field, then zero results are
> > returned. It will still work if I do not specify a type of file
> > (leave it on All Files and Folders), but searches take considerably
> > longer this way.
>
> So don't use Windows Search. Use Agent Ransack instead (free, fast, and
> flexible).
>

> .

I've been looking at Agent Ransack, but cannot seem to find anywhere to
specify which file type I  wish to search for. No doubt it is faster than
Windows Search, but if it does not enable me to search for a particular type
of file, then it is probably not what I need.

Barry_M wrote:

> "HeyBub" wrote:
>

>>Barry_M wrote:
>>
>>>I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to
>>>find files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify
>>>Winamp media file in the Type of file field, then zero results are
>>>returned. It will still work if I do not specify a type of file
>>>(leave it on All Files and Folders), but searches take considerably
>>>longer this way.
>>
>>So don't use Windows Search. Use Agent Ransack instead (free, fast, and
>>flexible).
>>

>>.
>>

> I've been looking at Agent Ransack, but cannot seem to find anywhere to
> specify which file type I  wish to search for. No doubt it is faster than
> Windows Search, but if it does not enable me to search for a particular type
> of file, then it is probably not what I need.

See Help, Multiple file types.

0
Bob
8/12/2010 12:35:59 PM
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 01:07:03 -0700, Barry_M
<BarryM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"HeyBub" wrote:
>
>> Barry_M wrote:
>> > I have all media files associated with Winamp. I used to be able to
>> > find files using the Windows XP Search utility, but now if I specify
>> > Winamp media file in the Type of file field, then zero results are
>> > returned. It will still work if I do not specify a type of file
>> > (leave it on All Files and Folders), but searches take considerably
>> > longer this way.
>>
>> So don't use Windows Search. Use Agent Ransack instead (free, fast, and
>> flexible).
>>

>> .
>>
>I've been looking at Agent Ransack, but cannot seem to find anywhere to
>specify which file type I  wish to search for. No doubt it is faster than
>Windows Search, but if it does not enable me to search for a particular type
>of file, then it is probably not what I need.

View , sort by ....
0
Jim