Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the first copy

Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
first copy?

A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
harddrive, and one person said he did that.

Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
won't run.

What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?

Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
except to run the AV.

Any other problems?

Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
other friends or me someday.

Thanks a lot.

0
mm

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>

> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Since you have some spare disks the safest method would go like this:
1. Disconnect her existing disk.
2. Connect your disk.
3. Install Windows and a virus scanner.
4. Connect here disk as a slave disk.
5. Scan her disk.

Note, however, that virus scanners are good at *preventing* infection. They
can only do a moderate job at *cleaning* infections. It all depends on the
damage that the virus did. After going through the above steps, her machine
might still be crippled. If it was my own machine then I would do a clean
installation. Much less hassle and a guaranteed outcome.

0
Pegasus
9/12/2010 5:58:44 AM
On 9/12/2010 1:01 AM, mm wrote:
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>=20
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.=20
>=20
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.=20
>=20
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>=20
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.=20
>=20
> Any other problems?
>=20
>=20
> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.=20
>=20
> Thanks a lot.=20

Try installing and running Malwarebytes in Safe Mode.  Then run it again
after a restart.  Or:

Download this Avira Antivir Rescue System program which will burn a CD
image to a blank CD.  It's updated a few times per day.  Insert the CD
into the damaged machine and let it do a scan of your system.  Before
starting the scan, select "Configuration" and set to repair or rename
the infected files.  Sometimes your machine won't restart after such a
repair process, so you might want to save needed files to another system
before using this.  If you can't, then you can move the hard drive to
another machine to copy needed files.  You can do that before, or after
this scan.

http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html

Then run these:

Malwarebytes=A9 Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

AVG now has a Rescue CD that's free.  They also have a free USB download
that should work on newer systems that can boot from a USB device.  Get
them here:

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

You can try some of the CD's mentioned at the following site.
BitDefender was my favorite, but if the infected machine can't connect
to the internet to get updates, Avira comes with current virus
definitions.  Also, some of these just won't run on some systems,
perhaps because there's no drivers available for some system devices,
motherboard, graphics card, etc.  So try a few of these till you find
one that works:

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list=
/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

--=20

Joe   =3Do)

0
Elmo
9/12/2010 12:46:38 PM
mm wrote:
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>

> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

I agree with Pegasus.

Some malware is easier to get rid of than others. And some malware can
be so entrenched that a Clean Install is the quickest way to get back to
a working PC.

Perhaps if you told us the name of this infection, we could have a
better idea which method you would be wisest to use.

Installing another instance of XP on the hard drive is not necessary if
you can slave the hard drive to a working machine and use the good PC to
scan it (it would definitely be quicker!). Or you could use one of these
devices:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812161002&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Adapters+and+gender+changers-_-Apricorn-_-12161002

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

0
Daave
9/12/2010 2:55:50 PM
On Sep 12, 1:01=A0am, mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work? =A0Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>
> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run. =A0She has only one drive. =A0Either it has =A0plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives. =A0I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

Which is it with MBAM and SAS - won't install or won't run?

Some malware knows what the installation programs and executables of
MBAM and SAS look like by their file names and will not let them
launch, so you sometimes have to outsmart them.  The malware is afraid
of MBAM and SAS.

The solution (if you got it downloaded) it to rename the installation
file and/or the executable to something the malware will not recognize
- like jose.exe, then it will launch.

MBAM does not recommend running in Safe Mode, I don't know why it is
ever even suggested (oh yeah - it is always preceded with the word
"try").

Here is info from the Malwarebytes CEO:

MBAM loses some effectiveness for detection & removal when used in
safe mode because the program includes a special driver which does not
work in safe mode. Further, scanning in safe mode prevents some types
of malware from running so it may be missed during the detection
process. Additionally, there are various types of malware infections
which target the safeboot keyset so booting into safe mode is not
always possible. For optimal removal, normal mode is recommended so
it
does not limit the abilities of MBAM.

Scanning in Normal Mode, that is the best for detection rates.
--------------------
Marcin Kleczynski
Malwarebytes President and CEO

Installing a second copy of Windows is not a solution, since you have
not fixed the problem.
0
Jose
9/12/2010 3:28:46 PM
Three more possibilities:

* SUPERAntiSpyware offers an Online Safe Scan at
http://www.superantispyware.com/onlinescan.html

* David Lipman's Multi-AV scanning tool. I'm not sure if it's been updated
recently, but basically it runs a bunch of other programs to detect and get
rid of malware.
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/sicherheit/35905/multi_av_scanning_tool.html

Information about running this program is at
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/

* Something that is very powerful but also dangerous if you don't know what
you're doing (but if you might need to reinstall the OS anyway is worth a
try): Combo-Fix, which you can download at Bleeping Computer. I believe the
procedure is to disconnect the affected computer from any network, download
the program to a
flash drive or a clean computer, copy it to the affected computer, and run
it. I read about it in an Internet Explorer newsgroup post back in June and
suggested it to someone with a bad infection. He used it, and it worked. A
guide to using Combo-Fix is at
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Jo-Anne

"mm" <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> Running a second copy of XP on the same box to avoid a virus on the
> first copy?
>
> A while back we had a short exchange about running a second copy of
> the same OS, like XP home, in a second partition on the same
> harddrive, and one person said he did that.
>
> Now my friend has, it seems, a series of viruses, and her ability to
> run windows-based anti-virus programs seems very much thwarted.
> Several including Superantispyware and Malbyteware won't install or
> won't run.
>
> What if I create a second partition, install XP Home in it (in this
> case from the Dell Reinstallation CD that came with the computer),
> install SP3, and then install those AV programs and run them?
>
> Would this work?  Would the viruses in the first partition spread to
> the new one, even if I never read or wrote to the first partition
> except to run the AV.
>
> Any other problems?
>

> Right now she can run windows but it is very slow, and somethings
> won't run.  She has only one drive.  Either it has  plenty of empty
> space, or I could lend her one of my old drives.  I want to help her
> and I figure everything I learn working on her computer will help my
> other friends or me someday.
>
> Thanks a lot.

0
Jo
9/12/2010 4:13:55 PM
In news:egCUbqoULHA.2104@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
Daave typed on Sun, 12 Sep 2010 10:55:50 -0400:
[.]
> Some malware is easier to get rid of than others. And some malware can
> be so entrenched that a Clean Install is the quickest way to get back
> to a working PC.

Actually restoring from a backup is far faster. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway MX6124 ('06 era) 1 of 3 - Windows XP SP2

0
BillW50

copying and pasting with hidden rows
I insert subtotals to my worksheet. I want to copy this, meaning just the subtotals excluding the hidden rows, how do I do this? thanks, del Use the outlining symbols (to the left) to hide the details (only show the subtotals). Then select what you want to copy Edit|goto|special check visible cells only edit|copy go to the new sheet edit|paste arcticale wrote: > > I insert subtotals to my worksheet. I want to copy this, meaning just the > subtotals excluding the hidden rows, how do I do this? > > thanks, > del -- Dave Peterson thanks. that works. "Dave Peter...

Avoid Printing the Combo Box with the Chart
I have a chart sheet with a combo box which I use to select the county I'm interesting in plotting. My question for the group - is there a way to keep the combo box from printing with the chart? Perhaps what I need to do is simply create the chart on a worksheet and print it from there. Just thought I would ask. Its not critical, but I thought it would look nicer if I could leave the combo box off. I wanted to use the chart sheet just to keep things "cleaner". Mike Hi, Right click the combo box and on the properties tab uncheck the Print Object. Cheers Andy mtonkovich...

Send/Receive Progress dialog box appears
The Outlook Send/Receive Progress dialog box appears every time during a send/receive, even if you have selected the Don't show this dialog box during Send/Receive option. Any ideas, besides the answer from their knowledgebase? Thanks! ...

multiple monitors & dialogue boxes
Using Dynamics GP 8.0 - If multiple monitors are in use, dialogue boxes (e.g. "do you want to save changes" - yes, no, cancel) only pop-up in the primary monitor, not the monitor displaying Dynamics GP. Dialogue/message boxes should pop-up inside the Dynamics GP window so you don't have to mouse over to the other screen to click them. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, fol...

Check all check boxes in a multiple form
Hello everyone, I need help trying to check all check boxes in a continuous form. Now, this form has only filtered data from its table. I need to change all the check boxes to TRUE but only the data reflected on this form, not the whole table. Please reply!! Thank you Danny, Danny Why post twice in 5 minutes? This newsgroup is supported by volunteers. If someone hasn't responded within 24 hours of your post, you might want to try re-formulating your description and re-posting. And 24 hours is not a 'service-level agreement' of these groups. If your need is more urgent, ...

Copy Worksheet to Preserve Page Set Up
I have a workbook with a very detailed worksheet that I want to copy onto addtional worksheets to run different scenarios. I can easily copy the worksheet but it doesn't preserve the detailed page set up for printing. How do you get it to copy the page set up too? Thanks Uzytkownik "TiChNi" <TCNICHOLS@YAHOO.COM> napisal w wiadomosci news:1114535445.503200.260140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I have a workbook with a very detailed worksheet that I want to copy > onto addtional worksheets to run different scenarios. I can easily > copy the worksheet but it...

Copying numbers from Excel to Word
Hi, I have numbers in Excel formated in Hebrew font Narkisim.When I copy them from Excel to Word (2003 and 2007) it converts the numbres to Times New Roman and force them to be formated as ENGLISH charachters instead of HEBREW. Is it a bug? Thank you, Tamir :-) __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4762 (20100111) __________ The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus. http://www.eset.com Hi Tamir, If you paste the numbers into a Word range formatted with the Narkisim font, I'd expect them to retain ...

Run macro after booting is over
Is it possible to run a macro when I turn on my PC? e.g. I want my list of duties to be undertaken today. This list is saved in an excel file. I have excel sheets by date. Hi, This is as much a Windows question as an Excel one but yes you can do that. Place a shortcut to the Excel file in the startup directory of your personal start menu and Excel will run that file on startup. Once running you can call macro using the workbook open event -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still suffic...

copying vba code to a standard code module
How do I copy vba code from a web page to a standard code module? Note: I don't know what a standard code module is. Thanks. In the VBA editor, go to the Insert menu and choose Module. Cut and paste the code from the web page to that module. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "1vagrowr" <1vagrowr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AD7155E1-2904-4701-81D7-067E22B9330C@microsoft.com... > How do I copy vba code from a web page to a standard code > module? Note: I > don't kno...

Copy down problem 2
I have the value 2 in cell A1 and the value 4 in cell A2. I have the formulas =1+1 in cell b1 and =2+2 in cell b2. I need a way to automatically add cell A1 into the formula in cell B1, so that the new formula in B1 would be =1+1+A1 or =1+1+2. Then I need to be able to copy that down, so that B2 would then equal =2+2+A2 or =2+2+4. Thanks!! ...

Exchange 2000 Running Real Slow
I'm hoping to find some help with this wierd problem. All of a sudden today my server started to "crawl" when I investagated I found that the server was very unresponsive. After doing a little digging I noticed that there was a "PreSubmissionQueue" with over 1500+ items in it. Most of it looks like spam. Using the suggestions from other posts I checked my NDR and whether I was a "relay". I also stopped AV and GFI from running. The system still runs real slow. If I stop the virtual smtp server, the system returns to "normal" but of course...

Long Message delays in Exchange 2003 running on Server 2003
We're getting delays on e-mail, I've seen the "sent" time on the e-mail be both correct and also delayed as well. Often I will see a user get other e-mails just fine but e-mails from one domain will all drop into the mailbox at once several hours after the client has reported them being sent. I implemented message tracking; since that has been in effect I have tracked several e-mails that have been delayed or reported missing and have not seen any sign of them hitting our exchange and being delayed. E-mails from one client for instance had been working just fine, up until 9...

Running Sum 02-10-10
I have a report that I am having problems with running sum. It is basically a daily ledger and is laid out as follows: Person Header Person Beginning Accounts Receivable Balance Date Header Column labels Detail Report data Date Footer Daily Totals Person Footer Grand Totals for person The report works fine as long as I am running it for one person. Page one calculates the correct runningsum. However, the subsequent pages tack on the daily total for the previous person. The third page, for the previous 2 people, etc. I have the fol...

Exchange 5.5; To Address not last, first
In exchange 5.5 in the global address book all the names are listed as lastname, firstname. How can I make it read firstname then lastname. This for writting emails with outlook. In Administrator, click on OPTIONS-TOOLS and in AUTO-NAMING tab go ahead change the Display Name Generation mike "David Lewis" <*@*.*> wrote in message news:2lin305ntectp47clc85b3ouappdfejqap@4ax.com... > In exchange 5.5 in the global address book all the names are listed > as lastname, firstname. How can I make it read firstname then lastname. > This for writting emails with outlook. ...

Excel
I am trying to have 1 of 8 different macro's run depending on the value of a specific cell. If I enter 1 in cell A3, I would like macro1 to run. If I change cell A3 to 2, I would like macro2 to run and so on all the way up to entering 8 and getting macro8 to run. I am unable to find any good examples of how to do this. I realize I will probably have to use Worksheet Event to do this but what is the macro code I will need. Right click the sheet tab and select veiw code. Paste the following: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) With Target If .Addre...

how do I copy and paste data with a formula?
I need to create a formula that when an "x" is put in chosen cell, certain information is copied and pasted into new worksheet Report. So far I have created; =if(a1:a100="x", This works to activate formula, but how do I copy and paste particular data inside this formula? Phil What are you doing if X is in the cell? You don't use a formula to "paste". But you could use Find and replace (Ctrl+H) to replace "x" with something else. Or, if that "particular data" is in column C, perhaps your formula should read (and b...

open attachment
Im using an IMAP account. When I have an attachment open, and then change emails in outlook to view another email, Outlook decides to create a second copy of the email with the open attachment, and "mark for deletion" the first email. In doing to Outlook locks up as the copy is created and uploaded to my IMAP server. Does anyone know how to stop it doing this? Im using Outlook 2003. Many thanks!! G. Don't open an email from within outlook - save it to the hard drive first. Or get in the habit of closing the attachment before changing messages. Also, make sure you have all ...

How to make "Report" run for specefic 'Date' or other criteria?
I can use something like... Like [Enter Date w/o leading zeros like 4/2/2007] & "*" into a query... then build a Form on that query... Then run the Form And Access will pupup a screen and ask for a date. How can we do this when we run a "Report" on the same Query? thanks for any help. Mel <MyEmailList@gmail.com> wrote in news:1184184721.213826.274340@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com: > I can use something like... > > Like [Enter Date w/o leading zeros like 4/2/2007] & "*" > > into a query... then build a Form on that query... Th...

Re-sizing a Dialog at run-time
Hi, I want to be able to change the size of my dialog at run-time. I go: TestDlg Dlg; Dlg.SetWindowPos(NULL, 0, 0, 400, 600, SWP_NOZORDER | SWP_NOMOVE); Dlg.DoModal(); And it's always the same size as what the dlg is in the resource editor (not 400x600). How do i change it? I've tried using precreatewindow and altering the cs values, but still doesn't work. Try to use MoveWindow "hamishd" <Hamish.Dean@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146379370.288943.129690@e56g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > Hi, I want to be able to change the size of my dialog at run-time...

Mail merge times; How not to show seconds please? #2
I have a spreadsheet being used for mail-merge to Word letters, which includes times for appointments. In the s'sheet the formatting is for hh:mm but on merging the seconds also show and this is not required. I'd like to know the easiest way of merging to show only the hour & minutes. Is there a formula to convert or remove the seconds values please? I'd rather not have to manually enter another column of "text" formatted times if there is another way that anyone can help me with please? Thanks a lot. Hi Gill, I see you expected an answer within an hour. Please ...

formula to search and find item sheet1 copy to sheet 2
i need to find an item in a colunm on sheet1 and auto copy that items row of info to sheet2. sheet1 changes with each import of data as to where "wings" may be on line 27 one time and move to 29 on the next import. so i need to search colunm B for "wings", when "wings" is found copy that row of info to sheet2 to create a list on sheet2.the formula will need to be adjustable per line, where as i can just change the item "wings" to "burgers" then insert the formula into line 2 sheet2.this will allow sheet2 to locate "burgers" on sheet1 ...

Mark copy of sent email as read
Hello, MS OUTLOOK 2003 on XP PRO. I would like to setup a "rule" (either a "Rules Wizard" Rule or code in VBA) to make a copy of every sent email, move it to a folder and mark that copy as read. I did a search on google, and found the command "Item.Unread=false" but I have no idea how to setup the code around it. I hate asking, "Can someone show me how to do the entirety of what I'm asking?" but I've never programmed in Outlook before and I have no idea how to define an event trigger. (In access, I'd be looking for somet...

CLIstCtrl in icon view, the first row is at too high
Hello, I am using a CListCtrl derived class to display a set of icons to user where she/he could select an item. Otherwise everything is OK, but the first row is at too high. Especially when I am using the extended style LVS_EX_BORDERSELECT, the upper part of the selection border is cut out completely. Does anyone know how to make the icons to be drawn a bit lower in control? Thanks, Vesa ...

Is it possible to run "If Statement" with DSum?
I am currently working with a database that uses the following code: =DSum("[WeeksService]","Service Record Query","[EmployeeID] = " & [EmployeeID] & " And [DepartmentName] = Current_Department_Name") This code works to give me the sum of all Weeks Service where the Department Name is equal to the Current Department Name and I do want to keep that code. In addition to that code though, I need to add, I'm guessing, an "IF Statement" that will provide me with the sum of ALL Weeks Service of ALL Department Name IF the ...

3 copies of systray.exe
Can anyone explain why I have 3 copies of the above file in : c:\windows\temp 68KB c:\windows\system32 3KB c:\windows\system32\dllcache 3KB I was alerted to this when the one in the temp file was identified as trying to run on startup by my AV. I blocked it without any problems with the system tray. Thanks in advance. Peter You can safely delete the following c:\windows\temp 68KB -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can...