Recovery Method- KB977165 Can/May/Will Cause BSODs for Some Windows XP Users

New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/new-patches-cause-bsod-for-some-windows-xp-users/

BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1/

A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the
vulnerability this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows
Update forum by Kevin Hau of Microsoft:

" Hello Everyone,

I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in
this thread!

We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
need to be uninstalled.

With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:

1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console
(see this Microsoft article for help with this step)

Once you are in the Repair Screen..

2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst

3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt

4. When complete, type this command: exit

IMPORTANT:  If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update
installed without the blue screens.

Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
installing the actual KB update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682

I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for
their participation as well!

Thanks,

Kevin "

MowGreen
================
  * -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
MowGreen

Thanks for the info, Mow.

I am curious. Not everyone is experiencing this problem with this
update. Has anyone discovered what specifically is responsible (e.g.,
the existence of another program like Norton interacting with KB977165)
to cause these BSODs?

MowGreen wrote:
> New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
> http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/new-patches-cause-bsod-for-some-windows-xp-users/
>
> BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1/
> ============================================================================================
>
> A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the
> vulnerability this update addresses has been posted in the above
> Windows Update forum by Kevin Hau of Microsoft:
>
> " Hello Everyone,
>
> I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in
> this thread!
>
> We have found that there is only one patch that requires
> un-installation to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the
> patch in question, the other patches do not seem to cause the blue
> screen behaviour and do not need to be uninstalled.
>
> With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:
>
> 1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console
> (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)
>
> Once you are in the Repair Screen..
>
> 2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
>
> 3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
>
> 4. When complete, type this command: exit
>

> IMPORTANT:  If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
> Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following
> automated solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities
> that are resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the
> update installed without the blue screens.
>
> Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
> that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
> installing the actual KB update:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682
>

> I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for
> their participation as well!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin "
>

> MowGreen
> ================
>  * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content*
> prechecked

0
Daave
2/12/2010 12:03:03 AM
You have to uninstall latest updates to get solve the blue screen errors.

http://www.techsupportserve.com/forum/topic/91/windows-cannot-start-after-update-it-is-stopping-at-the-blue-screen/

Refer the above link to get how to resolve this issue ....

"MowGreen" wrote:

> New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
> http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/new-patches-cause-bsod-for-some-windows-xp-users/
>
> BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1/
> ============================================================================================
>
> A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the
> vulnerability this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows
> Update forum by Kevin Hau of Microsoft:
>
> " Hello Everyone,
>
> I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in
> this thread!
>
> We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
> to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
> other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
> need to be uninstalled.
>
> With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:
>
> 1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console
> (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)
>
> Once you are in the Repair Screen..
>
> 2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
>
> 3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
>
> 4. When complete, type this command: exit
>

> IMPORTANT:  If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
> Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
> solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
> resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update
> installed without the blue screens.
>
> Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
> that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
> installing the actual KB update:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682
>

> I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for
> their participation as well!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin "
>

> MowGreen
> ================
>   * -343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ================
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> .

what about all the people who cant boot from their xp disc??  how do they get
their pc fixed??? microsoft says its a hardware issue, but thats funny
considering everything worked fine til the update.. and if it was a hardware
issue or "coincedence" then how come at least 20+ people cant even boot from
disc either??? wheres our "FIX"

"Salsan" wrote:

> You have to uninstall latest updates to get solve the blue screen errors.
>
> http://www.techsupportserve.com/forum/topic/91/windows-cannot-start-after-update-it-is-stopping-at-the-blue-screen/
>
> Refer the above link to get how to resolve this issue ....
>

> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
> > New Patches Cause BSoD for Some Windows XP Users
> > http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/2010/02/new-patches-cause-bsod-for-some-windows-xp-users/
> >
> > BLUE SCREEN, UNABLE TO BOOT AFTER WINDOWS XP UPDATE TODAY
> > http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/73cea559-ebbd-4274-96bc-e292b69f2fd1/
> > ============================================================================================
> >
> > A workaround to remove KB977165 and a method to mitigate the
> > vulnerability this update addresses has been posted in the above Windows
> > Update forum by Kevin Hau of Microsoft:
> >
> > " Hello Everyone,
> >
> > I wanted to thank everyone for the great information and discusion in
> > this thread!
> >
> > We have found that there is only one patch that requires un-installation
> > to resolve the blue screen issue. KB977165 is the patch in question, the
> > other patches do not seem to cause the blue screen behaviour and do not
> > need to be uninstalled.
> >
> > With that in mind, here's the updated solution steps:
> >
> > 1. Boot from your Windows XP CD or DVD and start the recovery console
> > (see this Microsoft article for help with this step)
> >
> > Once you are in the Repair Screen..
> >
> > 2. Type this command: CHDIR $NtUninstallKB977165$\spuninst
> >
> > 3. Type this command: BATCH spuninst.txt
> >
> > 4. When complete, type this command: exit
> >

> > IMPORTANT:  If you are able to uninstall the patch and get back into
> > Windows, in order to stay protected you can use the following automated
> > solution which secures your PC against the vulnerabilities that are
> > resolved with KB977165 until you can successfully get the update
> > installed without the blue screens.
> >
> > Please see the link below for the article describing the vulnerability
> > that is fixed with KB977165 and how you can get protected without
> > installing the actual KB update:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979682
> >

> > I also wanted to thank maxyimus for the great thread, and LThibx for
> > their participation as well!
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kevin "
> >

> > MowGreen
> > ================
> >   * -343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ================
> >
> > banthecheck.com
> > "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
> > .

Tell them to contact MS by phone. I can state for a *fact* that Support
Engineers are actually driving to folks homes to further investigate
this issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/msrc/archive/2010/02/12/update-restart-issues-after-installing-ms10-015.aspx

" One of the key components when investigating issues like this are
obtaining memory dumps from computers experiencing the problem. In order
to get the information we need to fully analyze the issue, some of our
support engineers have actually driven to customer locations and picked
up affected systems so we can get the needed crash data directly and
help inform our investigation. "

Your system would not boot from the previous HD and the CD would not
load, correct ? Changing the HD allowed the CD to work, right ?

Then I strongly suspect the non-functioning HD contains a *rootkit* and
when the update was applied it caused the rootkit to stop working as
intended to which in turn disabled the CD player.

You're wasting your time posting here.
Call 1-866-PCSAFETY for *no-charge* assistance !

MowGreen
================
  * -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

ANGELKISSES420 wrote:
> what about all the people who cant boot from their xp disc??  how do they get
> their pc fixed??? microsoft says its a hardware issue, but thats funny
> considering everything worked fine til the update.. and if it was a hardware
> issue or "coincedence" then how come at least 20+ people cant even boot from
> disc either??? wheres our "FIX"

0
MowGreen

can't send or receive emails

Access 97 can't resize database window

Here is fix for Windows file problems

Why XP style not appeared?
I write a IE Band ( A DLL. )like googlebar. I set the RT_MANIFEST and rewrite the resource ID = 2. #define IDR_RT_MANIFEST1 2 Why XP style not appeared? but googlebar has. // this is my stdafx.h #ifndef WINVER // #define WINVER 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINNT // #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINDOWS // #define _WIN32_WINDOWS 0x0410 #endif #ifndef _WIN32_IE // #define _WIN32_IE 0x0501 // #endif build environment: VS2003 + XP SP2 + IE6 thanks ! ...

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

GPO cause slow logon on desktop redirect
Hi guys, I have create new policy for redirect users folder on network shared, after this when user logon the loading desktop is very slow (30 seconds about only for desktop redirect). I've activate debug on GPO and this is log result in the last rows: GPSVC(188.2a4) 17:30:12:550 Target = S-1-5-21-1020176695-2728896446-3455317470-1230 GPSVC(188.2a4) 17:30:12:581 Target = S-1-5-21-1020176695-2728896446-3455317470-1230, ChangeNumber 0 GPSVC(188.27c) 17:30:12:800 Event Arg Array is already filled to its capacity=6 GPSVC(188.27c) 17:30:12:800 CGPEventBase::GetEventInfo(): Object ...

Can you delete Business Alerts?

Office 2007 forms

users with restricted access

SBS 2003 moving of users files

can I snap wrap points to a text box

User unknown
I made a new user on the exchange server, but if i want to make the account in outlook, Outlook says: "the name could not be matched to a name in the adresslist" I don't know what to do anymore. All the rights are the same as my collegea. can somebody help me? Go back to AD where you created the account, preferably on the Exchange Server. Is there an email address listed? If there isn't then right click on the Recipient Update Service in ESM and click update now. Advise what happens then... >-----Original Message----- >I made a new user on the exchange server, b...

Why ClassWiard can't see my Class?
I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(Class-B) which derived from CWnd class. When I used mouse right-click on the new-created class, it shows a popup-command-menu which missing "add virtual function" and "add windows message handler". From ClassWizard I couldn't see the new-created class either. I tried to delete myprogram.clw & re-issue ClassWizard, but it doesn't help. Anyone can help ? Thanks, Eagle "EagleChen" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:uRGde941DHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(C...

Mail will not Send/Receive automatically
I have outlook set up to send/receive every minute but it suddenly stopped doing so. Anyone have ideas why? Robin Several. For starters, a one minute polling interval is just nuts. It is difficult to determine why automatic polling is failing when you do not post your mail account type, connection type and polling settings. If automatic polling once worked and now fails, you also need to examine what changes were made to your setup before automatic polling stopped working. In general, here are the reasons automatic polling might fail in Outlook: 1. You have created an unrealistic po...

About Exit and close window.
Group, I have a dialogue base application. There's an Exit button in it. Eachtime when exit the program by clicking Exit button, fun() and OnOK() executed, but if the window is close by clicking (x) on the upper-right coner, fun() will not be executed. How to make this function--fun()--executed when click (x) button on the upper-right coner? Thanks. Rather than calling your fun() from the Exit event handler, call it from the dialog closing event handler, so that no matter how it is shut down, that method is called, and so is fun(). hope that helps. Dan. "sxy7711" <sxy771...

Office installation and Windows 7

Publisher can not save file