Possible to download Windows XP for re-install?

Lately my computer has been showing a small black screen for a second or two,
and freezing on occasion.. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP
professional ver 2002.. I called Dell, and was told that it didn't seem like
a hardware problem, but more like Windows was corrupted, and advised to
re-install Windows.. Problem is for some reason, I can not find my windows
disk.. Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can download it???  They must
know I have a legal copy,as they keep sending me updates...

No, you cannot "download WinXP for re-install."  Contact Dell Support for
replacement disks or check to see if your computer has a hidden Recovery
partition.

bonkk wrote:
> Lately my computer has been showing a small black screen for a second or
> two, and freezing on occasion.. I have a Dell Computer with Windows XP
> professional ver 2002.. I called Dell, and was told that it didn't seem
> like
> a hardware problem, but more like Windows was corrupted, and advised to
> re-install Windows.. Problem is for some reason, I can not find my windows
> disk.. Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can download it???  They
> must know I have a legal copy,as they keep sending me updates...

0
PA
1/19/2010 11:07:08 PM
Nope, have to buy one.

bonkk wrote:
> Lately my computer has been showing a small black screen for a second
> or two, and freezing on occasion.. I have a Dell Computer with
> Windows XP professional ver 2002.. I called Dell, and was told that
> it didn't seem like a hardware problem, but more like Windows was
> corrupted, and advised to re-install Windows.. Problem is for some
> reason, I can not find my windows disk.

Not all Dells came with CDs. Did yours?

If not, you might have a hidden restore partition, accessible at bootup
(before Windows loads) by pressing Ctrl+F11. More info:

http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/

If you did lose the CD, contact Dell. They might be able to sell you a
replacement for a nominal fee. Otherwise, these Dell CDs are ubiquitous.
Perhaps you can borrow one from an acquaintance. I've seen them for sale
by dealers at Amazon and for auction by dealers at Ebay. As long as you
do business with a reputable dealer with high ratings, you'll be fine.

> Does anyone know if there is
> somewhere I can download it???

Sure. Torrents exist all over the place. But mixed in with these legit
images are ones riddled with malware. So I cannot recommend this method
for you. Basically, if you don't where they can be found, you won't be
sophisticated enough to be able to tell the difference and thus avoid
the bad stuff.

Your best bet is to borrow a Dell CD form an acquanintance and make a
copy. Yes, this is legal since you do own the license. Just make sure
the CD matches the type of XP indicated on your Certificate of
Authenticity (COA) sticker (presumably XP Pro). Otherwise, contact Dell
or look at Ebay or Amazon.

That being said, the possibility of a hardware problem still exists! For
more info, have a look here:

http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Hardware_Tshoot

0
Daave

How to reinstall or repair Windows Media Player 11
My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So... How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to an older version? I found these instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePl...

office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance ot T&C's each time
office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i open work or excell or any office program. How do I get rid of this? Boot into Safe mode in Windows 7,open any Office app and then accept the terms -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "mouser830" <mouser830@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B7602D-F5D8-4559-98EF-A2CCC1E2D6FD@microsoft.com... > office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i op...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

Installed Second Exchange 2007SP1
I have ABC domain with two Sites STL and GVL. I had my exchange server 2007SP1 installed in STL. Now GVL installed a Exchange 2007SP1 server. All looks good but I get the following error message from time to time in the EMC on my Server in STL. There is a Firewall between us should there be some ports open for them to communicate. Thanks for your help! -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Exchange Error -------------------------------------------------------- The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information: Get-ActiveSync...

unable to access mail after re-enable account
Hi, After enable an disable account and change its password, it can login to its mail account. What's happening. Is it normal? Thanks a lot What is the error message when user tries to access mailbox? Does the user still show in ADUC has having Exchange attributes? Have you looked at the MB using ESM to see if it is disconnected? "Raymond" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:136c01c46f11$d16f8390$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > After enable an disable account and change its password, > it can login to its mail account. What's hap...

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

List Running Horizontally-Pivot Table Possible?
I just had a customer ask this one and I'm not so sure about it. 1) The customer has setup a list of information that is running horizontally instead of the typical list running vertically. 2) I just taught him how to do pivot tables and he wants to generate a pivot table with his "horizontal" list. 3) I know he can copy and paste special and use the Transpose feature to change the list from horizontally oriented to vertically oriented. 4) the question is: can he leave the table in its original orientation and still generate Pivot tables? I can't seem to make it work ...

Outlook XP #32
When starting Outlook, I get the following error message: "Outlook.exe There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive\Device\Harddisk 1\DR3. Cancel Try Again. Continue." How do I keep this message from popping up? ...

Installation errors. 01-09-04
I'm setting up CRM 1.2 on a completely clean test environment of windows 2000 servers. Near the end of the installation a message pops up "Setup was unable to register the security service." What could be causing this The usual story: To get the MCCRMSecurityService starting, have you tried re-registering it as follows: On your crm server, at command prompt, go to program files - microsoft crm - bin, then run these commands crmsecurityservice -u crmsecurityservice -r -s Peter Lynch "J. Bridger" <Bridger@nospam.ofllc.com> wrote in message news:0aa001c3d6...

Download of Money 2005
Downloaded 2005 and keep getting error message that Setup was unable to install some of the components needed to run money. Try installing money again. I tried and tried. It will not work. Called support-held for 30 mins.-no answer. What now? ...

Rule to automatically mark header to download based on contact list?
Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? TIA. Rich On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? What version of Outlook are you using? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Hi Ben: 2003 SP1 Rich "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message news:op.spuxh8sf6r4cx1@bms-tablet2.scgab.com... > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > > > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? > > What version of Outlook are you using? > > > -- >...

GP 10 sp1 Installation guide
Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. If so, can you email to me offline. Contact me and I will send you my email address. -- Joanne Mahoney SDN Consulting Jacksonville, FL I was able to download the install guide. Please send me your email and I will email to you. Steve Berlin steveber@hotmail.com "Joanne" wrote: > Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading > the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. &...

XP Look and Feel in Windows 2000 using ComCtrl32.dll
Hai I Want to have a XP Look and feel under windows2000 using VC++ and ComCtrl32.dll and does any one have any idea please help me as basically iam looking to develop a Skin Waiting for your reply suresh You will have to draw many of your own components. You could purchase a library like the one from www.codejock.com or www.dundas.com or or www.bcgsoft.com use something like this: These are for Office XP, but you'll get the idea. It's a ton of work: http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/officexp.asp Tom "suresh" <s...

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems

Outlook xp Offline folders vs O2k3 Cached Exchange mode
I recently upgraded a group of executives from Outlook XP to Outlook 2003. I used the "upgrade" option. I also installed O2K3 SP1. They all have laptops and use offline folders. Several have had various offline folder issues since the upgrade. Is there something I need to configure in order for them to continue to use their offline folders? or Does Cached Exchange mode replace Offline folders? Are there known issues with the upgrade and offline folders? I'm not sure what to look for. Thanks in advance for your time! techguyasap <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

downloading #2
I have attempted to download bank statements into Money 2001. Although my bank shows the statements were downloaded, nothing appears in Money,and I am not offered any opportunity to review or add the transactions. Does anyone have any advice. I am familiar with how it is supposed to work, for I had downloaded statements successfully in the past. ...

OFFICE COMPATABLE WITH XP
I HAVE MICROSOFT OFFICE AT WORK ON WINDOW 2000, I NEED TO WORK AT HOME AND I HAVE NO IDEA IF I CAN DOWNLOAD THIS ON TO MY WINDOWS XP. IS MICROSOFT OFFICE COMPATABLE WITH WINDOWS XP PAM The answer is yes - but you are in the wrong group and stop "shouting" (All Caps) "PAMELA ALWELL" <CPALWELL@AOL.COM> wrote in message news:0cb501c3779c$435df360$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I HAVE MICROSOFT OFFICE AT WORK ON WINDOW 2000, I NEED TO > WORK AT HOME AND I HAVE NO IDEA IF I CAN DOWNLOAD THIS ON > TO MY WINDOWS XP. > IS MICROSOFT OFFICE COMPATABLE WITH WINDOWS ...

Outlook XP 2002 Attachments
Any attachments that I include in Outlook XP 2002 specially those from the web incoming or outgoing are blocked as unsafe. No matter what are the attachments they are automatically blocked as potentially unsafe and can not be sent or receive. Please help. Opening .exe Attachments with the Outlook E-mail Security Update and Outlook 2002 http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm Attachment Options by Ken Slovak: http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm -- Nikki Peterson [MVP - Outlook] "Dimas Lamberty" <DLamberty@shawus.com> wrote in message news:00e5...

Using a Tool to Modify Email Downloads (GGI)
Hello, If all possible, I would like to see Exchange pop email sooner than 15 minutes which appears to be the minimum it allows. Is there a Microsoft tool that allows to modify the download feature sooner than 15 minutes for email on the server? If yes, can someone please shed some light... Thank you in advance! POP is a email client access protocol. Exchange Server is not an email client. http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/smtp_diatribe.asp "George G. Ioannides" <gioannides@softhome.net> wrote in message news:%23iHAY2B3FHA.3868@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > &...

Secondary protection of Hyper-V VMs possible?
We have built a secondary DPM server to be able to backup our protection groups off site. This is working fine for all but the protected Hyper-V machines on the primary server. When I select the primary server, I don't get an option to protect those machines. Is this a bug, or a known feature limitation of DPM? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Probably you're missing some required hyper-v hotfixes, I can back them up fine from my secondary. "Caillin" wrote: > We have built a secondary DPM server to be able to backup our protection > g...

Windows Live Calendar 01-28-10
Is there a way I can send one URL and allow access to a family member for ALL five of my calendars as I see it in Windows Live? ...

Scrolling splitter windows via keyboard
I want to be able to scroll the views in a vertical splitter window (synchronized) in response to the UP, DOWN, PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN keys. How can this be achieved? I set up the scroll sizes by calling SetScrollSizes in OnInitialUpdate() and then handle the OnKeyDown message in the view of the splitter window. In the OnKeyDown function, I tried calling OnVScroll(), but it does not work!! Can someone please help? Thank you Abhijit Abhijit, You might perhaps want to try calling ScrollToPosition instead of OnVScroll. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Abhijit" <abhijit_patait_N...

Outllok XP not sending sent emails to sent item folder?
Not sure what happened, but all of a sudden my Outlook XP (2002) no longer sends my sent email messages to the sent items folder. After I send a message and go to my sent items folder to view it...it's not anywhere to be found. How can I get things the way they were when I could find messages I sent later (in my sent items folder)??? Thanks in advance.... ...

Installation CRM 1.2 on SBS2003 SP1 fails, please help
At the end of my installation I get an error windows with; Setup was unable to install Microsoft CRM Server Setup was unable to provision your organisation Setup was unable to create user settings. Access is denied. (80070005) Active Directory is in native mode I am installing as the administrator (domain admin) security account for services in Local System account Local System account and computer are added to the Pre Windows 2000 comp group Thanks in advance for any support Marc Did you enter your organization name precisely the same way it appears on your CRM 1.2 licenses? -- Matt ...