Pop up message claiming computer is infected

Neighbour has picked up one of those virus/worms or malwares than informs
him that his computer is infected with all sorts of viruses and for a fee he
can download a program to remove these infections.

For protection he has been running nothing but the default WindowsXP
security and firewall.

To top it off, his "good friend" who set up the computer used a pirated copy
of WindowsXP so cannot get updates etc.

My opinion is...........wipe computer and install a legal copy of the OS.

He would like to just get remove the worm or whatever is giving the pop up
"infection" message.

Any chance of that?


Gord
0
Gord
4/25/2010 3:01:50 PM
windowsxp.general 3897 articles. 1 followers. Follow

16 Replies
1008 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 35

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:01:50 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
wrote:

>Neighbour has picked up one of those virus/worms or malwares than informs
>him that his computer is infected with all sorts of viruses and for a fee he
>can download a program to remove these infections.
>
>For protection he has been running nothing but the default WindowsXP
>security and firewall.
>
>To top it off, his "good friend" who set up the computer used a pirated copy
>of WindowsXP so cannot get updates etc.
>
>My opinion is...........wipe computer and install a legal copy of the OS.
>
>He would like to just get remove the worm or whatever is giving the pop up
>"infection" message.
>
>Any chance of that?
>
>
>Gord

Gord, have your *friend* download and run MalwareBytes.  That will
almost surely solve *his* problem.

http://www.malwarebytes.org

HTH,

-- Larry

0
Larry
4/25/2010 3:21:46 PM
Gord

Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of XP.Best to reformat and install 
a legal copy of any OS. Your solution is what will work. Using the option of 
removing this malware from a infected pirated version of XP will mean nothing. It 
will continuously come back with many other issues.

-- 
Peter

Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message 
news:7ml8t5lop2ogl8ns83kfb7n15agg6hdgv8@4ax.com...
> Neighbour has picked up one of those virus/worms or malwares than informs
> him that his computer is infected with all sorts of viruses and for a fee he
> can download a program to remove these infections.
>
> For protection he has been running nothing but the default WindowsXP
> security and firewall.
>
> To top it off, his "good friend" who set up the computer used a pirated copy
> of WindowsXP so cannot get updates etc.
>
> My opinion is...........wipe computer and install a legal copy of the OS.
>
> He would like to just get remove the worm or whatever is giving the pop up
> "infection" message.
>
> Any chance of that?
>
>
> Gord 

0
Peter
4/25/2010 3:23:10 PM
If the infected computer will boot to the SAFE MODE, you have a fighting chance.

On another computer, download Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) to a flash drive.
Start the infected computer in the safe mode and install Malwarebytes and run it in the "quick scan" 
mode.
It should clean out enough of the Rogue Antivirus program to then start in the normal mode.
In the normal mode re-run Malwarebytes (use the update feature to get the latest data file) in the 
complete scan mode.

If your neighbor is not willing to buy and install a valid copy of Windows, he/she will just get hit 
again and again with these malwares.
Time to get the neighbor's attention with a big two by four.

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message 
news:7ml8t5lop2ogl8ns83kfb7n15agg6hdgv8@4ax.com...
> Neighbour has picked up one of those virus/worms or malwares than informs
> him that his computer is infected with all sorts of viruses and for a fee he
> can download a program to remove these infections.
>
> For protection he has been running nothing but the default WindowsXP
> security and firewall.
>
> To top it off, his "good friend" who set up the computer used a pirated copy
> of WindowsXP so cannot get updates etc.
>
> My opinion is...........wipe computer and install a legal copy of the OS.
>
> He would like to just get remove the worm or whatever is giving the pop up
> "infection" message.
>
> Any chance of that?
>
>
> Gord 


0
Richard
4/25/2010 3:30:44 PM
Larry

 *friend*   *his*

What is the purpose of the asterisks?  


Gord

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:21:46 -0400, Larry <lhullz@cheezwhiz.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:01:50 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca>
>wrote:
>
>>Neighbour has picked up one of those virus/worms or malwares than informs
>>him that his computer is infected with all sorts of viruses and for a fee he
>>can download a program to remove these infections.
>>
>>For protection he has been running nothing but the default WindowsXP
>>security and firewall.
>>
>>To top it off, his "good friend" who set up the computer used a pirated copy
>>of WindowsXP so cannot get updates etc.
>>
>>My opinion is...........wipe computer and install a legal copy of the OS.
>>
>>He would like to just get remove the worm or whatever is giving the pop up
>>"infection" message.
>>
>>Any chance of that?
>>
>>
>>Gord
>
>Gord, have your *friend* download and run MalwareBytes.  That will
>almost surely solve *his* problem.
>
>http://www.malwarebytes.org
>
>HTH,
>
>-- Larry

0
Gord
4/25/2010 4:30:57 PM
Will give MWbytes a try.

Your advice about legalizing has already been given.

Not sure if he will follow it but that's up to him.

Thanks,           Gord

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:30:44 -0700, "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>If the infected computer will boot to the SAFE MODE, you have a fighting chance.
>
>On another computer, download Malwarebytes (www.malwarebytes.org) to a flash drive.
>Start the infected computer in the safe mode and install Malwarebytes and run it in the "quick scan" 
>mode.
>It should clean out enough of the Rogue Antivirus program to then start in the normal mode.
>In the normal mode re-run Malwarebytes (use the update feature to get the latest data file) in the 
>complete scan mode.
>
>If your neighbor is not willing to buy and install a valid copy of Windows, he/she will just get hit 
>again and again with these malwares.
>Time to get the neighbor's attention with a big two by four.
>
>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message 
>news:7ml8t5lop2ogl8ns83kfb7n15agg6hdgv8@4ax.com...
>> Neighbour has picked up one of those virus/worms or malwares than informs
>> him that his computer is infected with all sorts of viruses and for a fee he
>> can download a program to remove these infections.
>>
>> For protection he has been running nothing but the default WindowsXP
>> security and firewall.
>>
>> To top it off, his "good friend" who set up the computer used a pirated copy
>> of WindowsXP so cannot get updates etc.
>>
>> My opinion is...........wipe computer and install a legal copy of the OS.
>>
>> He would like to just get remove the worm or whatever is giving the pop up
>> "infection" message.
>>
>> Any chance of that?
>>
>>
>> Gord 
>

0
Gord
4/25/2010 4:47:31 PM
My sentiments also.

Advice given.

Thanks,          Gord

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 11:23:10 -0400, "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Gord
>
>Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of XP.Best to reformat and install 
>a legal copy of any OS. Your solution is what will work. Using the option of 
>removing this malware from a infected pirated version of XP will mean nothing. It 
>will continuously come back with many other issues.

0
Gord
4/25/2010 4:48:30 PM
Peter Foldes wrote:
> Gord
>
> Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of XP.Best to reformat
> and install a legal copy of any OS. Your solution is what will work.
> Using the option of removing this malware from a infected pirated
> version of XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
> many other issues.
>

Most pirated versions of XP are Volume Licenses and don't come with 
malware, your FUD notwithstanding. I know people who have pirated copies 
installed and haven't had a problem for YEARS. To get updates, all one 
needs to do is use Automatic Updates and decline any "genuine" updates. 
Your suggestion to buy a legal copy of XP is disingenuous at best when 
you consider they aren't selling XP anymore.

-- 
Alias
0
Alias
4/25/2010 4:55:49 PM
In news:hr1s6n$tls$1@news.eternal-september.org,
Alias <aka@maskedandanymous.org.invalido> typed:
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Gord
>>
>> Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of
>> XP.Best to reformat and install a legal copy of any OS.
>> Your solution is what will work. Using the option of
>> removing this malware from a infected pirated version of
>> XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
>> many other issues.
>
> Most pirated versions of XP are Volume Licenses and don't
> come with malware, your FUD notwithstanding. I know people
> who have pirated copies installed and haven't had a problem
> for YEARS. To get updates, all one needs to do is use
> Automatic Updates and decline any "genuine" updates. Your
> suggestion to buy a legal copy of XP is disingenuous at
> best when you consider they aren't selling XP anymore.

Bull; they certainly are. 


0
Twayne
4/25/2010 6:10:52 PM
Twayne wrote:
> In news:hr1s6n$tls$1@news.eternal-september.org,
> Alias<aka@maskedandanymous.org.invalido>  typed:
>> Peter Foldes wrote:
>>> Gord
>>>
>>> Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of
>>> XP.Best to reformat and install a legal copy of any OS.
>>> Your solution is what will work. Using the option of
>>> removing this malware from a infected pirated version of
>>> XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
>>> many other issues.
>>
>> Most pirated versions of XP are Volume Licenses and don't
>> come with malware, your FUD notwithstanding. I know people
>> who have pirated copies installed and haven't had a problem
>> for YEARS. To get updates, all one needs to do is use
>> Automatic Updates and decline any "genuine" updates. Your
>> suggestion to buy a legal copy of XP is disingenuous at
>> best when you consider they aren't selling XP anymore.
>
> Bull; they certainly are.
>
>

Who is selling it new?

-- 

Alias
0
Alias
4/25/2010 6:14:06 PM
In news:hr20pf$q6u$1@news.eternal-september.org Alias
<aka@maskedandanymous.org.invalido> wrote: 

> Who is selling it new?

NewEgg has XP in "System Builders" packaging; $200 for XP Pro w/SP3. 

-- 
Bert Hyman	St. Paul, MN	bert@iphouse.com
0
Bert
4/25/2010 7:24:44 PM
In news:hr1s6n$tls$1@news.eternal-september.org,
Alias <aka@maskedandanymous.org.invalido> typed:
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Gord
>>
>> Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of
>> XP.Best to reformat and install a legal copy of any OS.
>> Your solution is what will work. Using the option of
>> removing this malware from a infected pirated version of
>> XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
>> many other issues.
>
> Most pirated versions of XP are Volume Licenses and don't
> come with malware,

and therefore, some do.

 your FUD notwithstanding.

pot - black

 I know people
> who have pirated copies installed and haven't had a problem
> for YEARS.

And I know people who have had pirated copies installed and they've had 
nothing but problems. Neither situation makes pirating legal and does make 
such people thieves and criminals. Apparently that's you.

 To get updates, all one needs to do is use
> Automatic Updates and decline any "genuine" updates.

Yup, and some of those are pretty darned important updates. And what happens 
when you want an update but it depends on having a previous update that was 
refused in order to work.

 Your
> suggestion to buy a legal copy of XP is disingenuous at
> best when you consider they aren't selling XP anymore.

Of course XP is still for sale, bot new and used, all with legitimate COA et 
al.  I just checked and the first three retailers I checked would still 
suppy XP. A lot of places even stocked up on it if you kept up with the 
times at all.  Some places are even still pre-installing XP Pro and Home. 
But I won't tell you where because you're a pirate anyway and don't need it.
   Did you know even win98 is stil available? Others, too, but you've 
probably already pirated them, long ago.

Since pirating is a federal crime, I'd keep an eye on your front door. 


0
Twayne
4/25/2010 7:27:22 PM
On 04/25/2010 10:23 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
> Gord
>
> Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of XP.Best to reformat
> and install a legal copy of any OS. Your solution is what will work.
> Using the option of removing this malware from a infected pirated
> version of XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
> many other issues.
>

Many other issues?
0
Incognitus
4/26/2010 2:58:00 PM
On Apr 27, 12:58=A0am, Incognitus <i...@ccurate.com.invalid> wrote:
> On 04/25/2010 10:23 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>
> > Gord
>
> > Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of XP.Best to reforma=
t
> > and install a legal copy of any OS. Your solution is what will work.
> > Using the option of removing this malware from a infected pirated
> > version of XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
> > many other issues.
>
> Many other issues?

Back to the real issue - If Malwarebytes does not work get both
versions of McAfees Stinger - they produce a normal version and one
that targets viruses that thrive on flash drives

Piracy is an ethics problem, not a windows problem - I don't like it
but with some vendors can certainly see why it is done.

Mi Tasol
0
Mi
4/26/2010 11:03:38 PM
In news:3304d565-8c43-4193-ad8a-34391fbe4bd7@v27g2000pro.googlegroups.com 
Mi Tasol <armstrong.monty@gmail.com> wrote:

> Back to the real issue - If Malwarebytes does not work get both
> versions of McAfees Stinger - they produce a normal version and one
> that targets viruses that thrive on flash drives

There are also A/V tools that boot and run independently of your compromised 
Windows system. Avira has one:

http://dlpro.antivir.com/package/rescue_system/common/en/rescue_system-common-en.iso

Burn the ISO to a CD and boot it.

http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

-- 
Bert Hyman	St. Paul, MN	bert@iphouse.com
0
Bert
4/26/2010 11:21:21 PM
On 04/26/2010 06:03 PM, Mi Tasol wrote:
> On Apr 27, 12:58 am, Incognitus<i...@ccurate.com.invalid>  wrote:
>> On 04/25/2010 10:23 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>>
>>> Gord
>>
>>> Possible but not recommended on a Pirated version of XP.Best to reformat
>>> and install a legal copy of any OS. Your solution is what will work.
>>> Using the option of removing this malware from a infected pirated
>>> version of XP will mean nothing. It will continuously come back with
>>> many other issues.
>>
>> Many other issues?
>
> Back to the real issue - If Malwarebytes does not work get both
> versions of McAfees Stinger - they produce a normal version and one
> that targets viruses that thrive on flash drives

Why would I want to, I'm using a linux distro, those apps won't run.

Perhaps you meant to reply to the OP instead of me.

<snip>
0
Incognitus
4/27/2010 12:09:59 PM
Thanks for the pointer Bert.


Gord

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 16:21:21 -0700, Bert Hyman <bert@iphouse.com> wrote:

>In news:3304d565-8c43-4193-ad8a-34391fbe4bd7@v27g2000pro.googlegroups.com 
>Mi Tasol <armstrong.monty@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Back to the real issue - If Malwarebytes does not work get both
>> versions of McAfees Stinger - they produce a normal version and one
>> that targets viruses that thrive on flash drives
>
>There are also A/V tools that boot and run independently of your compromised 
>Windows system. Avira has one:
>
>http://dlpro.antivir.com/package/rescue_system/common/en/rescue_system-common-en.iso
>
>Burn the ISO to a CD and boot it.
>
>http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html

0
Gord
4/27/2010 4:26:21 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Problem with one e-mail message
In my inbox, a message is shown in red with the "blocked" symbol. But when I click it to delete, it crashes Windows Mail instead. I ran my full antivirus scan (Trend Micro) but still have the problem. Windows Update no help. Any suggestions short of dumping Windows Mail with all my mail, contacts, etc.?? Upgrade to Windows Live Mail: http://download.live.com/wlmail It will automatically import all your Windows Mail data. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Ludlow37" wrote in message news:29D1C42E-D4FB-4748-9770-BF2F7F51B685@microsoft.com... In...

Transferring e-mail messages
Hard drive #1 is now a slave on my computer. It contains Outlook Express. Hard drive #2 is a new hard drive. It contains Outlook. How do I transfer the messages from Outlook Express to Outlook? Thank you in advance for you help. Todd K. Hi Todd, Please follow the steps in the following Knowledge Base article to import your Outlook Express messages into Outlook: ID: 196347.KB.EN-US OL2000: How to Import E-mail Messages from Outlook Express You can access this article by clicking on the link below. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;196347 Regards, Scott Atkins MCSE...

Vista x64, computer only shows background
Whenever I start up my computer, all I see is my background. No icons, no start bar, nothing. If I press ctrl+alt+delete, all I see is a black screen (pressing escape goes back to my background.) I literally JUST installed mass effect 2 and tried to restart to fix another problem with the game not starting when this problem appeared. Any quick help would be appreciated. -- docwalrus Restore point to before the install of the game. "docwalrus" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:386edd2398d324b6c8f134bcfa463cfb@nntp-gateway.com... > > Whe...

synchronize folders between multiple computers
Hi there I leave copies of my incoming messages on the POP3 server for 10 days so that Outlook downloads incoming mail to both of my home-networked machines. I'd like to synchronize between the two machines too (particularly Sent Items, since I send mail from both machines). Is the article KB205229 "OL2000: (IMO) Managing a PST for Two Different Computers" the final word on the subject? -- The procedure outlined in that article is a bit clunky. Best regards Loane (I forgot to mention I'm running Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro) Loane Sharp <look_sharp@hotmail...

What files do I need to copy for new computer???
I just purchased a new computer and was wondering what Outlook files I need to copy and transfer to the new machine. I would like to capture all e-mail messages, contacts, and calendar events. Also, how do I keep these in their corresponding folders? Thanks! If you re-use your .PST file, you'll keep all the data (messages, appointments, contacts, etc.) just as it was before. Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will...

Rules-Automaticly replying to a message
I am trying to create a rule, that will automaticaly reply to messages I receive that meet a specific criteria. I can set the criteria, but how do I set the auto-reply? I see one that sayes "Reply to this message useing the following template. Ok.. fine.. How do I make a template? Or is there a way around it. I just wanna reply to the message, quote the origional, and add a little bit of text. Thanks for the help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com...

Outlook 2002 move attachment location in message
Greetings...Does anyone know how to move the default attachment location in Outlook 2002 from under the subject line to down below; inside or under the message body like it was in Outlook 2000 ? Thanks, JG ...

How do I input a warning message to remind the user to enter into.
I am trying to create a spreadsheet where I require the user to enter data into a certain cell. If they do not enter data in this cell I would like a warning to pop up to remind them You have to specify a trigger of some sort. IOW when do you want to check if the user has made an entry in that cell? When he tries to save the file? When he tries to print? When he accesses some other cell? When he enters data into some other cell? HTH Otto "sugarbrit17" <sugarbrit17@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0DDB3DC-8A61-410D-BC00-41B0434D9809@microsoft.com.....

Windows cannot find file message
I have a strange problem when I try to open an Excel file from My Computer or Windows Explorer. I get an error message to the effect that "Windows cannot find the file c:\book1.xls' ,etc. etc. although the file definitey exists. Not too sure what I've done, but any help fixing this problem would be most gratefully received. One possibility is that the file is nested too deep in the filing system. There is a limit to the number of characters that can be used for a file path. For Excel I thing this is about 234; for Windows it is more. See if the name given in the "ca...

Warning message: "Fixed Objects will move" What is its meaning?
I get the warning message Fixed Objects will move in an Office 2000 Excel spreadsheet. This occurs when filtering. To proceed with the filter operation I have to answer OK to the dialog box many many times. I cannot find any references to this warning on the web or in Excel help. Does anyone have an explanation? Specifically - What are these fixed objects? How can I identify them and to where they have been moved? How can I avoid the warning and the need to press <return> 100's of times? Regards -- John The following MSKB article may help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Shee...

tracking user messages
Hi how to obtain the ip address or machine name of an user who is sending message from outlook 2003 client and on a private wan ( not using SMTP connection through internet) thanks at all Try auditing successfull logon events then search the log for that account...if memory serves that will give you computer name and username. "Frédéric de Thysebaert" wrote: > Hi > how to obtain the ip address or machine name of an user who is sending > message from outlook 2003 client and on a private wan ( not using SMTP > connection through internet) > > th...

Outlook 2000-Error Message DESPARATE!!
Subject: Error Message -Outlook 200 From: "sandra.coleman3@verizon.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> Sent: 12/30/2003 5:35:03 AM When I start Outlook 2000 I get the following error message: Error Unknown - Program will close now. I recently corrected a DLL error that was showing up. Any fixes you can suggest. Thanks! .. If you're running Win2K/XP/2K3, check the event log and see what the fault bucket says. -- ~jason k ________________________________________________________________ please reply in group. emails directly to me will be printed...

Reading/removing NNTP messages from the Exchange database
Hi all, I have a the newsserver running on the default nntp server and I do not have extra Virtual directories defined, so I assume my messages are in Pub1.EDB Is there a way to access those messages beside via a NNTP client? I like to be able to remove some of them. Any help is appreciated, Ressiv ...

Address Book Not Working With Text Messages Sent By Outlook
Every time I try to send a text message per Outlook, I can type and send the message, only as long as I physically type a person's name in the To box. If I click on the little address book button beside the To box or click on the icon at the top of the message page, I immediately get kicked out of Outlook, and it must restart. Does anyone know what is wrong and how it might be fixed? Thanks, Candy What version of Outlook? What type of email account? It sounds like the address book is corrupt. If you use outlook 2003 or older, try this: go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose Vie...

Filtering outgoing messages
I need to block users on my network from sending to a certain email address. I tried setting a Recipient Filter with the email address. I also tried to block connection services to a specific domain, but nothing has worked. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Hi Chris, In Advanced Properties for the Default SMTP Virtual Server did you check "Apply Recipient Filter"? Regards -- Ben Hoffman MVP Exchange http://www.exchangeis.com "Chris Discianno" <ChrisDiscianno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C14FFFF-6C49-4FFA-9EA1-60FF5CF583A5@mi...

block messages
Hi all, can I block on Exch5.5 some inbound messages coming through X400 Connector. I have created Contact with internet email address (non AD user) I have tried Delivery restriction Tab to reject messages from specific mailbox (that Contact) in the internet, but it doesn't work. Is any solution, how to filter abc@abc.com on exch5.5 sp3 Thanks Marek On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:34:08 +0100, "Marek" <neco@necoteckaenco.com> wrote: >Hi all, >can I block on Exch5.5 some inbound messages coming through X400 Connector. >I have created Contact with internet email addr...

Error message.
Hello, I am using GP 7.50g3. I have installed the GP into a new notebook that come with Windows Xp SP2 and get the following message. I have re-install GP many times and still having the same problem. "The Great_plains.vbs project references some objects that cannot be found. These objects are listed in file: C:\MBS\GPS75\Dynamics.txt" What should I be doing to get this issue sorted out. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks You have some custom vba in dynamics.vba. If you rename it, you will not get the message when you start GP. Of course, you won't have ...

Difference between computers...
I have a problem and I have been unable to identify the source and hence unable to resolve it. I have a 2003 db, secured using mdw, split and running fine (in general) for the past 2-3yrs. I added a new user recently. When we log into the db on almost any computer, it work perfectly. But when he logs into the db using his laptop, one of the sub-forms does not allow him to make changes (date fields and check boxes are greyed out)?! The only difference I have been able to identify between the computers in that in general everyone have runtime 2002 and, he has runtime 2003....

Intelligent Message Filter #10
Does IMF log its actions anywhere? I'd like to see how many messages it's rejecting at the gateway due to an RBL violation. (Oh, and please don't send the link for the white paper. It's not in there.) Thanks! jim Performance monitor shows you how many message were clasified with each scl. I can't remember well, but I guess you can configure logging levels so blockings are logged at event viewer. "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:e2JhCsRkFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Does IMF log its actions anywhere? I'd like to see how...

Message Filtering #2
We have installed the IMF on our exchange Server 2003. Generally speaking, the settings we have do a good job of filtering the SPAM. However, there are several sites that are sending us mail that we never receive, probably because they are consistently being filtered out. these senders do include a sales pitch in each of their emails so we figure that they are correctly being filtered because they do look like SPAM. These messages don't even end up in our junk mail folders we don't want to loosen the filtering because that would allow many more SPAM messages thru and we are not ev...

How to edit a message header on email received?
I would like to be able to edit an email message header that I receive in Outlook to make it more meaningful to me. Lobelia <Lobelia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I would like to be able to edit an email message header that I > receive in Outlook to make it more meaningful to me. What header do you wish to edit? -- Brian Tillman ...

message header without server name
ls, my echange 5.5 server sends messages without server name in the header: <1345352364213353647344243@> cannot find a way to change this. now some servers receiving my email consider this to be spam/ how can i fix this? "rtv" <rverweij@msn.com> wrote: >my echange 5.5 server sends messages without server name in the header: > ><1345352364213353647344243@> > >cannot find a way to change this. now some servers receiving my email >consider this to be spam/ > >how can i fix this? What header? I *think* you're asking about the "...

Low memory message
document saved successfuly, Cannot reopen the saved document due to low memory,Please close the document. Hi Robert does restarting Excel or rebooting your computer help (also clear your temp directory) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Robert Glica wrote: > document saved successfuly, Cannot reopen the saved > document due to low memory,Please close the document. I will try clearing my temp directory, But this problem i think is on the server side. The spreadsheet is located on another server in my company. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Hi Robert >does r...

Can't open embedded link in an email message
When I click on an embedded link that is in an email meassage I get an error message that says "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator." Is there a setting someplace that I need to change. I used to be able to click on URLs in an email message and open a window with that link. I recently upgraded to Office XP pro. ...

'xxxxx' data in SOP, POP files
GP Version 9, running on SQL 2000 w/Nolan Advanced SOP, Myridas Intersite, Myridas Vendor Pricing, GP Manufacturing We have 10 GP companies. Last week, 2 of the companies had a couple of Sales Order Headers and Purchase Order headers where all of the character data was 'xxxx' and all of the numeric data was '999. Some of the orders had detail lines with the same kind of data. The SOP headers had SOP_TYPE = 7 and 8. The data looks suspiciously like the data used for alignment or what appears when you do a print preview in GP report writer. Can anyone shed light on this even...