OT: XP randomly sails off into outer space...

in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
....in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there, no
temp. problems btw !

running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops responding,
and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048, and
offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and after
a few minutes  - PC sailed off into outer space again !

Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrite 6
mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into outer
space again !

....am I looking at a new motherboard ?

regards, Richard

0
RJK

"RJK" <nosuch@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there,
> no temp. problems btw !
>
> running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops
> responding, and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048,
> and offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and
> after a few minutes  - PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrite
> 6 mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into
> outer space again !
>
> ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> regards, Richard

SmartFan / S.M.A.R.T. reports the boot hd as healthy, though I can't help
suspecting ST380815AS boot drive is the culprit,
....or the SATA mobo controller !  ...think I'll try imaging boot drive onto
another hd first :-)

regards, Richard

0
RJK
3/1/2010 11:30:23 AM
On Mar 1, 3:29=A0am, "RJK" <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there, =
no
> temp. problems btw !
>
> running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops respondi=
ng,
> and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048, a=
nd
> offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and aft=
er
> a few minutes =A0- PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrit=
e 6
> mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into ou=
ter
> space again !
>
> ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> regards, Richard

The crystal ball called in sick today.

What is your definition of sailed off into outer space?

System lock ups can be sometime be quickly diagnosed by forcing a blue
screen of death when the system is hung and then examining the crash
dump file.

Is there some reason you are focusing on hardware?  Have you tested
your RAM or just replaced it?  Why not test it:

Run a test of your RAM with memtest86+ (I know it is boring and will
cost you a CD).

Memtest86+ is a more up to date version of the old memtest program and
they are not the same.

The memtest86+ will not run under Windows, so you will need to
download the ISO file and create a bootable CD, boot on that and then
run the memtest86+ program.

If even a single error is reported that is a failure and should make
you suspicious of your RAM.

If you have multiple sticks of RAM you may need to run the test on
them one at a time and change them out to isolate the failure to a
particular single stick.  Always keep at least the first bank of RAM
occupied so the test will find something to do and there is enough to
boot your system.

Sometimes, reseating the RAM in the slots will relieve the error but a
failure is still cause for suspicion.

The file and instructions are here:

http://www.memtest.org/

Why are you changing the paging file size?  Do you suspect that is an
issue and why?  Not letting Windows manage it adds a another variable
into the troubled equation.  Unless you know more about managing
memory than XP, I would leave it alone.

To eliminate questions and guessing, please provide additional
information about your system.

Click Start, Run and in the box enter:

msinfo32

Click OK, and when the System Summary info appears, click Edit, Select
All, Copy and then paste the information back here.

There will be some personal information (like System Name and User
Name), and whatever appears to be private information to you, just
delete it from the pasted information.

Perform some scans for malicious software, then fix any remaining
issues:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.
Look in the Event Viewer for clues around the time of the incident

Here is a method to post the specific information about individual
events.

To see the Event Viewer logs, click Start, Settings, Control Panel,
Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

A shortcut to Event Viewer is to click Start, Run and in the box
enter:

%SystemRoot%\system32\eventvwr.msc /s

Click OK to launch the Event Viewer.

The most interesting logs are usually the Application and System.
Some logs may be almost or completely empty.
Not every event is a problem, some are informational messages that
things are working okay and some are warnings.
No event should defy reasonable explanation.

Each event is sorted by Date and Time.  Errors will have red Xs,
Warnings will have yellow !s.  Information messages have white is.
Not every Error or Warning event means there is a serious issue.  Some
are excusable at startup time when Windows is booting.  Try to find
just the events at the date and time around your problem.

If you double click an event, it will open a Properties windows with
more information.  On the right are black up and down arrow buttons to
scroll through the open events. The third button that looks like two
pages on top of each other is used to copy the event details to your
Windows clipboard.

When you find an interesting event that occurred around the time of
your issue, click the third button under the up and down arrows to
copy the details and then you can paste the details (right click,
Paste or CTRL-V) the detail text back here for analysis.

To get a fresh start on any Event Viewer log, you can choose to clear
the log (backing up the log is offered), then reproduce your issue,
then look at just the events around the time of your issue.

0
Jose
3/1/2010 11:58:41 AM
RJK wrote:
> in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there, no
> temp. problems btw !
>
> running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops responding,
> and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048, and
> offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and after
> a few minutes  - PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrite 6
> mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into outer
> space again !
>
> ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> regards, Richard

A computer doesn't always "lock". For example, I've had computers where
the desktop display stops responding (giving the impression the computer
is locked). Yet, if I go to a second computer, and issue the "ping"
command from an MSDOS window, pointed to the frozen computer, the
frozen computer manages to return a response. And that tells you the
OS is still running, and just the GUI is broken.

If you see an actual blue screen, the computer might have stopped
executing code at that point. I haven't tried a ping test against
a blue screen computer, because I don't get them here often enough
to test.

If the disk or the SATA interface to the disk were to hang up,
and the disk was your C: drive, it would be pretty hard for the
disk to have any Event Viewer entries added. In that case,
you might be in pretty bad shape, with respect to collecting
information as to what has failed.

Another note. I've noticed here, that SATA drives do not have
a guaranteed reset capability. When you push the reset button
on the front of the computer, there is no guarantee that a
hung drive will recover. I've had one instance here, where I
needed to turn off the power on the computer, before one
of my SATA drives would again communicate with the computer.
So the path from the reset button to the drive, doesn't actually
work. It means whatever info that travels over the SATA cable,
is not guaranteed to achieve control over the drive. With the
engineers I've worked with, this would earn you a "fail" when
your design is reviewed. I've never had that happen on an
IDE drive, so the parallel ribbon cable must have a better
scheme to guarantee the drive can be reset.

And when we look here, pin 1 of the IDE interface is called
"RESET", which is why you'll always have control of an IDE
drive. There is no "RESET" wire on a SATA cable.

http://pinouts.ru/HD/AtaInternal_pinout.shtml

Of course, a drive shouldn't hang up in the first place.
But I find it interesting, that one of my drives, did do that,
and the drive continues to function perfectly well. It isn't
a bad disk or anything. SMART is still good, and no other
complaints.

It could be a problem with your disk interface on the motherboard.

It could be a problem with the driver for that interface.

If I were you, I might try a Linux LiveCD, and do some testing
with entirely different software. And see whether there are
still problems or not. A modern Linux LiveCD can access NTFS
and FAT32 drives, so you shouldn't have a problem browsing the
disk. Examples of Linux LiveCDs are Ubuntu and Knoppix. There
are actually a lot more LiveCD distros now, but those are popular
ones. You can boot a LiveCD, without needing to install any software.
All the executed code comes right off the CD, and the CD stays
in the tray until you're finished with running the OS.

To read a lot of data off the hard drive in Linux, you can use "dd".
For example, this test will read an entire hard drive, and
discard the read data. The "dev" naming convention, varies with
disk interface type, so the name of the drive is unlikely to be
guaranteed to be "hda". That is just an example. I have some
here that are "sda", "sdb" etc.

    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null

When that command is running, you'd see the disk light on most
of the time. To stop that test, press <control> C.

HTH,
      Paul
0
Paul
3/1/2010 12:59:15 PM
On 3/1/2010 12:29 AM On a whim, RJK pounded out on the keyboard

> in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there, no
> temp. problems btw !
>
> running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops responding,
> and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048, and
> offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and after
> a few minutes  - PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinrite 6
> mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off into outer
> space again !
>
> ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> regards, Richard

Hi Richard,

I have to figure that "PC sailed off into outer space" means that it
locked or froze.

I had a workstation that XP started randomly freezing.  I tried
EVERYTHING.  I even removed the XP partition and installed XP clean to
no avail.  I have 5 OS's on this workstation and none of the others
froze.  In the last 2 weeks, I have unplugged 2 external USB modems that
this workstation uses to answer 2 phone lines and faxes.  It hasn't
locked up once.  I believe I finally found the answer (have no idea why
the other OS's didn't lock).

So in your t-shooting, also disconnect any devices that may be connected
to it and see if it still locks up.

Terry R.
Terry
3/1/2010 4:39:06 PM
On Mar 1, 11:30=A0am, "RJK" <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "RJK" <nos...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> > Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> > Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> > 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> > 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> > 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> > 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> > Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> > ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there=
,
> > no temp. problems btw !
>
> > running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> > During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops
> > responding, and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> > Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> > and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048,
> > and offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> > rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and
> > after a few minutes =A0- PC sailed off into outer space again !
>
> > Booted up with bootable Spinrite 6 cd and started a full hd scan (Spinr=
ite
> > 6 mode "4"), and after it had scanned a few sectors - PC sailed off int=
> > outer space again !
>
> > ...am I looking at a new motherboard ?
>
> > regards, Richard
>
> SmartFan / S.M.A.R.T. reports the boot hd as healthy, though I can't help
> suspecting ST380815AS boot drive is the culprit,
> ...or the SATA mobo controller ! =A0...think I'll try imaging boot drive =
onto
> another hd first :-)
>
> regards, Richard

Do not rely on third part SMART tools.  Get the manufacturer's
diagnostic (STxxxx =3D Seagate)

Mother would not be the only cause.  Causes:

-- Wrong RAM type
-- Wrong RAM speed
-- Bad drivers
-- "Virus"
-- Spyware
-- HiJacked system
-- Bad PSU or "under powered" PSU
-- Defective cables
-- Poor quality power
-- Bad / Missing "grounding" on power outlet
-- Corrupted XP files
0
smlunatick
3/1/2010 6:54:11 PM
RJK wrote:
> in XP Home SP3+ Windows Normal mode, my old :-
> Asus M3N78 (no suffix to mb model no.)
> Athlon 64 x2 6000 Windsor cpu + Arctic Cooler heatpipe job
> 2x1gb Crucial Ballistix
> 3xSataII hd's (connected to mobo Sata ports),
> 1xIDE LG dvd-rewriter connected to motherboard IDE port,
> 1xPCIe x1 SIL3132 Sata card with a dvd-rom drive connected to it.
> Camera card reader connected to internal USB pin header,
> ...in Antec Solo case + Antec modular psu with no dust bunnies in there, no
> temp. problems btw !
>
> running lovely for over a year, probably 2 years, ..or more,
> During the past couple of weeks in Windows Normal mode, PC stops responding,
> and ignores me, and I have to reboot.
> Last night, swapped out memory for 2x512mb Crucial ddr2 667 modules,
> and this morning changed set swap file size to min. 1536 and max. 2048, and
> offline defragged with PerfectDisk 10,
> rebooted to Windows Normal mode and started a PerfectDisk defrag, and after
> a few minutes  - PC sailed off into outer space again !

If it sails off to outer space

maybe NASA would be interested.

But seriously
Are all fans working?

CPU?

video card?

Also have a close look at the mobo

are there any leaky capacitors?
0
philo
3/1/2010 11:48:26 PM
....thank you all for some very useful pointers.

I think I just needed some moral support, and you were all most kind after
my
"XP randomly sails off into outer space"  OP,  (which of course was a daft
thing to say - result of utter frustration with the darned thing I think :-)
....which is what it felt like after PC locked up, several times with mouse
arrow / Windows eventually freezing up completely, and [Alt]+[Tab] not
cycling through open apps, and [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Del] not bringing up Task
Manager etc.

I should have mentioned that during the past couple of months, more often
than not, after selecting Shut-Down, there was the "normal," almost constant
hd activity, for 5 - 10 seconds, and instead of a normal "power-down,"
system box kept running, hd led blinks briefly three times in a row, then a
longish pause with no hd led activity, and it would keep repeating that led
activity pattern  i.e.
3 blinks and a longish pause, and repeat.  I've been hunting for a software
fault for several months now - now that I stop and think about it -
rummaging through event viewer - Spinrite 6'ing drive C:\ etc !!

Anyhow, to cut a long, and doubtless; very boring story short :-

I've rearranged hard-disks, including Ghost 14.0 restoring yesterdays drive
C:\ backup, from my "data" 160gb hd, onto the other 160gb hd, and made that
the boot drive, and have pulled out the 80gb drive which was occasionally,
and with increasing frequency, "sailing off into outer space," ...oops, I
mean suffering a complete Windows freeze !

I've never had a hard-disk go faulty in such a fashion, before this one !
....now I'm wondering if it was simply a SATA cable at fault.  Whilst
rummaging around in there and rearranging things, I noticed that one Sata
cable connector didn't seem to have a very tight fit.  Threw it away, and
fitted a new one.
.....mmm... Seagate ST380815AS 80gb date code 09066 corresponds to 2008
August 14th.

Goodness me, the more I think about it, the more it seems like it was simply
a SATA cable on the boot drive, i.e. poor interference on connector contacts
!
I'll refit it tommorrow and run Seagate diagnostics on it !

anyhooooo, thanks to you all.

regards, Richard

0
RJK
> [...]
> disk. Examples of Linux LiveCDs are Ubuntu and Knoppix. There
> are actually a lot more LiveCD distros now, but those are popular
> ones. You can boot a LiveCD, without needing to install any software.
> All the executed code comes right off the CD, and the CD stays
> in the tray until you're finished with running the OS.
>
> To read a lot of data off the hard drive in Linux, you can use "dd".
> For example, this test will read an entire hard drive, and
> discard the read data. The "dev" naming convention, varies with
> disk interface type, so the name of the drive is unlikely to be
> guaranteed to be "hda". That is just an example. I have some
> here that are "sda", "sdb" etc.
>
>    dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null
>
> When that command is running, you'd see the disk light on most
> of the time. To stop that test, press <control> C.

Boy oh boy, you ARE intuitive, (as well as brilliant of course!),
re: my "thankyou" to all responders, on this thread, ...amidst my
ramblings - I wondered if it was simply a bad SATA connector - contacts had
got weak - hence poor interference etc.

....many thanks,

Richard

.....I must be getting old, ..why it didn't occur to me to swap them out
...eludes me, ...though as in my other post I did, eventually notice a "not
very" titgh fitting Sata connector.

0
RJK

Excel 2003 running on XP
I have a column of numbers that represent the dyas of a reservation. The column has a subtotal for the month for the total days rneted that month. Now year-end, I would like to know the total numbers of night rented for the year. Is there an easy way to get that (maybe add all the subtotals together?) without having to create this calculation by hand (like writing =b12+b17+b23...). I have several spreadsheets to make this calc in and would like it to be accurate and easy! Thank you for your help! Why dont you post examples of how your data is arranged..? -- Jacob &...

MS outlook XP sending message error
I running Outlook XP SP3 on windows XP SP1. Our outlook create 6 mail profile for send/receve different e-mail account. The problems when sending message, the message put to the outbox very long time, the details show 100% comleted first, after show decrease 50% , 30%, 25%, at the end show the error 0x000ccc8b server busy error message, But i have cheking sending e-mail address amilbox, the message is success receive, I switch to outlook outbox, the message still in outbox cannot send out. *********Please advice how to solve out this problem**************8 IT ...

Outlook XP / html format problem
Hi, Have a user with a wierd email problem in Outlook XP/2002 (exchange server). When sending an email, it seems that only the subject is sent, and the whole message body is blank. I've narrowed it down to sending email in HTML format. He can read any email in HTML format but when he replies or forwards, there is nothing in the message, just a subject. If I set to Rich-text or Plain text and send new message, it is fine. If I get an incoming HTML message, and forward as a Richtext ot plain text, it is fine. I've created another email profile, with no luck. I've r...

OT
Is the Microsoft Exchange website down, by chance? When trying to access the ExBPA Page or the Exchange 2003 SP1 page, or the /exchange/library page, I recieve a Page not found error (Can't post it due to copyright). http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/2003/ExBPA/default.asp http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/library Error page that launches: http://www.microsoft.com/library/errorpages/smarterror.aspx?404;http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/404.mspx When I try to access the main Exchange page, it now comes up with a 403 Forbidden: http://www.microsoft.com/exchange -- Bob Christ...

Can't outer join or append.
I am getting daily data from units that may or may not be reporting each day. If I use an inner join, then the units that do not report on any given day, are dropped from the query. I tried to do a multiple join but evidently Access will not permit more than two tables to be joined using an outer join. So I tried entering the data using the first day of data to establish the original query, and subsequent days to append to it. I got an error message stating that my original query was not updateable. What now? "Steven" <Steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Unable to reply or forward in Outlook XP
I am currently running Outlook 2002 with XP SP2. All of the latest patches for both. Internet connection and account tested and verified. When I use reply or forward to send email, Outlook will sometimes hang (hour glass forever). In order to get out I have to use task manager to stop Outlook. Of course by doing this the email is lost and has to be retyped. I never have this problem when creating a new email from scratch. There have been a number of post on this but I have yet to find one that actually had a fix. Any help would be appreciated. Peter Are you using Word or Outlook a...

After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have h
After I install a software in windows xp , how many changes have happen in registry? Because I need to read the value of registry ,please tell me all the changes in registry. I appreciate your help. -- jake After you install "a piece of software" in Windows, some number of registry keys, dependent entirely on whatever the person writing the installation decided should be modified, have been modified. In addition, once you run it, some other keys, defined by the person who coded it, and based on whatever actions the user has taken, will be changed. Each piece of software is ...

How to combine text from 3 cells into 1 cell with space and ", bet
How to combine text from 3 cells into 1 cell with space and ", between. Is it a formala I can use? HI Try this =A1&" "&""""&B1&" "&""""&C1, adjust range to your needs HTH John "JOF" <JOF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BD2A42E-BCB9-4504-8454-727E366E25DD@microsoft.com... > How to combine text from 3 cells into 1 cell with space and ", between. Is > it > a formala I can use? ...

back spacing is deleting what was already typed.
As I type a Document and need to add a word, or phrase by back-spacing Word deletes what was already typed letter by letter on that line. How do I correct the settings? That's what Backspace does on a computer. If you just want to go backward, use the left arrow key. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "TinaMarie" <TinaMarie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4C593814-5824-41EA-9854-7659B2F02217@microsoft.com... > As I type a Document and need to add a word, or ph...

xp and adobe
I have heard that adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard does not work well with XP Professional. Has anyone had trouble with these 2 programs working together? It works for me. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx <twandalives@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1156181281.994067.192660@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com... >I have heard that adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard does not work well with XP > Professional. Has anyone had trouble with these 2 programs working ...

issue with outlook XP
Hi, One of my colleague had a strange problem yesterday. When his client has his notebook connected to company network, he's able to read all his emails. When client disconnect his notebook from company network, and select File->Offline, client is not anymore able to read his email and folders where they are normally stored. Concretly the message error is that outlook is not able to open the folders where are emails. :-( Client use Communigate email server...but our company we all use communigate and this work offline service, without having such issue. What could be the issue ...

OT: Ping Ralph
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0482_01CB12AF.85E05740 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit For some reason, Ralph, your posts are not showing up for me when viewing posts through E-S. I can see your posts fine when accessing through msft's news server. Could you be a chap and reply here, using whatever server you normally use? Thanks a bunch! - Kev ------=_NextPart_000_0482_01CB12AF.85E05740 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; name="kevin@tpasoft.com.vcf" Content-Transfe...

Outlook Address book from 2K to XP
G'Day All. Greetings and best wishes. Where can I find the file that has the users' Outlook Address Book CONTACTS so I can move from a WIN2K box running Outlook2002 to a WINXP box running Outlook2002? And where, on the XP box do I put the file. Thanks much. D'Day- I would actually "export" the contacts from Outlook (File>Export/Import>To a File. You can export it to any location yo wish (ie: desktop, Network, a:\...) and then "import" the file back into the Outlook on the new Machine. Hope that helps. >-----Original Message----- >G'D...

shortcut condenced character space
i want to condense character space with short key, You can assign a shortcut key to a specific amount of condensation. In the Tools | Customize | Keyboard dialog, select All Commands as the category. In the Commands list, scroll down to Condensed: and type in the desired amount or select it from the dropdown. Then press the desired keyboard shortcut and click Assign. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "imran" <imran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AF23718-2357-454C-BD2...

New comp. running XP; NEED Publisher from 98SE; How?
HELP! I just got my 1st new comp. & it runs XP however I NEED Publisher from the 98SE... How can I get this program onto this comp. ASAP? I have 2 newsletters for my church that I can't work on until I get this straightened out! Cheryl Smith <Cheryl Smith@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > HELP! I just got my 1st new comp. & it runs XP however I NEED > Publisher from the 98SE... How can I get this program onto this comp. Publisher does not come with any version of Windows, it is a separate application. The Publisher that is/was on the ...

Will my Office XP install on Windows 7?
I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. Will Office XP install on Windows 7? Yes it will, but Outlook will not retain account passwwords Office 2003 and later is fully compatible "glouces" <glouces@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8699F413-1E85-4CC3-BD05-856A8ECC578B@microsoft.com... >I have Office XP. I need a new computer and need Outlook and Access on it. > Will Office XP install on Windows 7? ...

XP account password lost
Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is there a way she can get the password back or override it and make a new one? Gerald "Gerald Bramwell" <newsgroups@animals-in-distress.net> wrote in message news:uXscL3vaKHA.6028@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi my wife has managed to forget her password on her PC, she uses a > password to keep the kids out but has now managed to keep her self out. Is > there a way she can get the password back or override it and ...

Outlook 97 & XP SP2
Until I loaded SP2, O 97 worked just fine. Now, it continually repulls the same email from the server over and over, and then hangs. XP firewall is turned off. I can't find much help on the Microsoft web site, at least after 4 hours of looking. Any ideas? Well first note that Outlook 97 and Windows XP SP2 have been developed a lot of years after eachother so I would almost say; To be expected. Office 97 also isn't supported anymore let alone being taken into consideration during the Service Pack 2 development. Anyway; I guess you've configured Outlook to leave a copy on th...

Can't open Outlook (Office XP Pro)
When I try to open Outlook (Office XP Pro), I get the following error message: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Errors have been detected in the file C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst." Any ideas on how to fix this? Check out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181523 "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01f401c39f84$1e104cb0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > When I try to open Outlook (Office XP Pro), I get the > following error message: "Can...

2000 to XP
I build a file in Excel 2000. When I open the file in XP I get the following message. Excel encountered an error and had to remove some formatting to avoid corruption the workbook. Please re- check your formatting carefully. I didn't see anythign unsual but would like to know what formatting is causing this? TIA ...

random incomplete query results
Hi to all, on a form I'm filling a "box" (I don't know the english name, is like a combo without the input selection row) from a table on the same database. To do that, I'm using the property "RowSource", also to change the ordering field. The problem is that, when I'm using the database on a PC with Windows 2000 and Office 2000, "sometime" (exactly! not all the times!) the list on the box is covering only a fraction of the entire table! After some trials I get the full list... The same database, on my PC (XP and Office 2003), is working alw...

excel 2007_need to add spacing between fields for mailing list
Subject describes the concern. 2007 Word displays labels ok, but the spacing between the fields needs to be increased. Still a newbie at using this suite. Thanks for replies. Increase row height?? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "GGG_SD" <GGG_SD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11A574DE-F7D2-4B6E-9F26-11415A627950@microsoft.com... > Subject describes the concern. 2007 Word displays labels ok, but the > spacing > between the fields needs to be increased. Still a newbie at using this > suite. ...

IMAP Questions & Issues (Outlook XP)
I am running a UW IMAP server on my linux computer and am using that to check my email. I am checking 2 IMAP accounts on there, each with maybe 10 mailboxes. I use Procmail to forward mail into some of those mailboxes, so new mail may appear in boxes other than the Inbox. I have a couple questions and issues with Outlook. I've looked around but haven't been able to find solutions to these questions yet: 1. I don't consistently get notification of new email in folders other than the inbox. Is there a way to do this? 2. Outlook hangs up OFTEN on me. It will either hang up wit...

Outlook XP Problem on WinXP SP2
Help! On our Windows XP Pro SP2 computers running Office XP we have begun to experience an odd problem. The users have to change to a different folder to 1) receive email, 2) send email so that an email leaves the Outbox, or have a folder's contents updated. When the user changes to a different folder, emails are delivered to the Inbox immediately, and emails still in the Outbox are sent. This is not happening on all the XP SP2 installs and seems to occur some time after the SP2 install. Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. This is due to the buil...

outlook 2002 on xp pro: default format style for new emails
Whenever I start a new email in Outlook, the format style is set to Paragraph, not Normal as with most, if not all, other computers. Actually a user is patched through CITRIX, piped into the citrix server, using his session's Outlook. Don't let that throw you; I'd like at least to know if there's a way to change the default. Thank you! ...