Nothing happens at ctrl-alt-delete prompt

I have a desktop running WinXP Pro.  It was running terribly slow, so I
rebooted.  When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and
nothing happened.  I powered off and back on again and same thing.  I
rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration, and still the same thing.  Then I
tried a different keyboard.  Still nothing happens when you press
ctrl-atl-delete.  During the boot process, the lights on the keyboard (num
lock, cap lock, etc) blink, so it appears that the keyboard and computer are
communicating on some level, at least.
Anyone have any thoughts on anything else I can try?

Thanks for the help.
--
Mike Lee
McKinney,TX USA

Why are you giving three-fingered salute to your computer (aka Ctrl-Alt-Del)
and at what stage are you doing this?

If you are trying at the welcome screen then you need to do it twice to get
manual input of various usernames.  However, if you are doing it when you
have already logged in then clearly you have a very serious problem.

Please advise us further before a drastic solution is given.

hth

"mikelee101" <mikelee101athotmaildotcom> wrote in message
>I have a desktop running WinXP Pro.  It was running terribly slow, so I
> rebooted.  When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and
> nothing happened.  I powered off and back on again and same thing.  I
> rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration, and still the same thing.  Then
> tried a different keyboard.  Still nothing happens when you press
> ctrl-atl-delete.  During the boot process, the lights on the keyboard (num
> lock, cap lock, etc) blink, so it appears that the keyboard and computer
> are
> communicating on some level, at least.
> Anyone have any thoughts on anything else I can try?
>
> Thanks for the help.
> --
> Mike Lee
> McKinney,TX USA

0
ybS2okj
2/27/2010 1:48:20 AM
On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:48:20 -0000, "ybS2okj"
<ybS2okj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Why are you giving three-fingered salute to your computer (aka Ctrl-Alt-Del)
>and at what stage are you doing this?

I have a friend with a win2000 computer that comes up with a small box
that requires either login info or iirc if there is none,
cntl-alt-delete to get to the next step.

He was given the computer by someone who was given the computer at
work, when they upgraded, so login was important or at least enabled.

Does XP ever have anything like that?

>If you are trying at the welcome screen then you need to do it twice to get
>manual input of various usernames.  However, if you are doing it when you
>have already logged in then clearly you have a very serious problem.
>
>Please advise us further before a drastic solution is given.
>
>hth
>
>"mikelee101" <mikelee101athotmaildotcom> wrote in message
>>I have a desktop running WinXP Pro.  It was running terribly slow, so I
>> rebooted.  When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and
>> nothing happened.  I powered off and back on again and same thing.  I
>> rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration, and still the same thing.  Then
>> tried a different keyboard.  Still nothing happens when you press
>> ctrl-atl-delete.  During the boot process, the lights on the keyboard (num
>> lock, cap lock, etc) blink, so it appears that the keyboard and computer
>> are
>> communicating on some level, at least.
>> Anyone have any thoughts on anything else I can try?
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>> --
>> Mike Lee
>> McKinney,TX USA

0
mm
2/27/2010 1:59:05 AM
On 2/26/2010 5:37 PM On a whim, mikelee101 pounded out on the keyboard

> I have a desktop running WinXP Pro.  It was running terribly slow, so I
> rebooted.  When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and
> nothing happened.  I powered off and back on again and same thing.  I
> rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration, and still the same thing.  Then I
> tried a different keyboard.  Still nothing happens when you press
> ctrl-atl-delete.  During the boot process, the lights on the keyboard (num
> lock, cap lock, etc) blink, so it appears that the keyboard and computer are
> communicating on some level, at least.
> Anyone have any thoughts on anything else I can try?
>
> Thanks for the help.

Hi Mike,

It may have been turned off:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

Note you need Administrator rights to change this.

Terry R.
Terry
2/27/2010 4:34:11 PM
On 2/27/2010 10:34 AM:

> On 2/26/2010 5:37 PM On a whim, mikelee101 pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> I have a desktop running WinXP Pro. It was running terribly slow, so I
>> rebooted. When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and
>> nothing happened.

> It may have been turned off:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226

If this is turned off, would there still be a prompt
telling the user to press those keys?

Or is OP mistaken that there was such a prompt?

What would have turned it off, without OP knowing?

John
2/27/2010 5:47:44 PM
The date and time was Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:47:44 AM, and on a
whim, John H Meyers pounded out on the keyboard:

> On 2/27/2010 10:34 AM:
>

>> On 2/26/2010 5:37 PM On a whim, mikelee101 pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> I have a desktop running WinXP Pro. It was running terribly slow, so I
>>> rebooted. When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the keys and
>>> nothing happened.
>
>> It may have been turned off:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308226
>
> If this is turned off, would there still be a prompt
> telling the user to press those keys?
>
> Or is OP mistaken that there was such a prompt?

He'll have to clarify of course, but I took that as being just the
sign-on screen.

> What would have turned it off, without OP knowing?

If he doesn't reboot often (didn't sound like it), he may have done it
long ago and forgot, or thought he was doing something else, like having
it log in without entering a password.

Not really sure either, just thinking of things that may have happened.

Terry R.
Terry
2/27/2010 6:29:09 PM
In news:hvugo5l7k9ram674mmg0dfmabr2k4tu641@4ax.com,
mm <NOPSAMmm2005@bigfoot.com> typed:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 01:48:20 -0000, "ybS2okj"
> <ybS2okj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> Why are you giving three-fingered salute to your computer (aka
>> Ctrl-Alt-Del) and at what stage are you doing this?
>
> I have a friend with a win2000 computer that comes up with a small box
> that requires either login info or iirc if there is none,
> cntl-alt-delete to get to the next step.
>
> He was given the computer by someone who was given the computer at
> work, when they upgraded, so login was important or at least enabled.
>
> Does XP ever have anything like that?
>

>> If you are trying at the welcome screen then you need to do it twice
>> to get manual input of various usernames.  However, if you are doing
>> it when you have already logged in then clearly you have a very
>> serious problem.
>>
>> Please advise us further before a drastic solution is given.
>>
>> hth
>>
>> "mikelee101" <mikelee101athotmaildotcom> wrote in message
>>> I have a desktop running WinXP Pro.  It was running terribly slow,
>>> so I rebooted.  When I got to the ctrl-alt-delete prompt, I hit the
>>> keys and nothing happened.  I powered off and back on again and
>>> same thing.  I rebooted to Last Known Good Configuration, and still
>>> the same thing.  Then I
>>> tried a different keyboard.  Still nothing happens when you press
>>> ctrl-atl-delete.  During the boot process, the lights on the
>>> keyboard (num lock, cap lock, etc) blink, so it appears that the
>>> keyboard and computer are
>>> communicating on some level, at least.
>>> Anyone have any thoughts on anything else I can try?
>>>
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> --
>>> Mike Lee
>>> McKinney,TX USA

The best thing to do with any new computer that has been used before is to
do a "clean install" of the OS. It'll run faster and be a lot more problem
free than trying to figure out and fix a previous user's settings and
problems and malware infestations.

   It will also prove that you have been given the correct discs etc. to do
clean installs and to install any other programs that were provided with it,
for future recoveries when a drive crashes to uselessness, get too infested
to repair, etc. etc. etc..
   Otherwise you're going to have to put up with previous users' bad habits,
problems and likely malware if they were anywhere near newbie or even
general user status. By rebuilding it you then only have your own problems
to conetned with and better yet, you know exactly how you set things up.

HTH,

Twayne

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

0
Twayne

How can I delete entire inbox?
Hi, Is there a way to empty and/or delete the total inbox folder? The account has so much spam and don't want to delete 1000 spam messages one by one. Thanks for any help! Select first email, hold down shift, use down arrow to select all = messages, presss delete. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, egb88 asked: | Hi, | Is there a way to empty and/or delete the total inbox folder? The | account has so much...

Using Remove History to delete old financial data
My company would like to remove financial data from 1995-1999 on our SQL Server. We are running Dynamics 9.0. Would performing Tools >> Utilities >> Financial >> Remove History remove the data from SQL Server (i.e. table GL30000) and any other tables that would have financial data related to these years or do I have to run a series of SQL scripts against the database tables to delete the data? Thanks for all help in advance. -- Dave Christman System Developer ...

Re: Massive "FIND" or " Compare cells " then , Delete....
Hello All, lets say I have in Column A, Dan, John, Bill, Angela, Fred ...many entries of the same names.... In Column B, I have Nancy, Dan, Steve, I want to delete all of the "Dans" in both columns ... Can I do something like: =compare( A1:B20 ) , delete,*.*)) I tried Subsitute, FIND, REPLACE.... Help! I am Confused!!!! :) Select A1:B100 (assuming that is your range), do Edit / Replace, replacing Dan with nothing, then with the range still selected do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, then Edit / Delete / Shift Cells UP. This assumes you want ...

Deleting original text on reply or forward
Hiya.. I have a user that, when they receive a message from a particular law firm, and they attempt to reply to it, the text from the original message is removed, though, the law firms 'disclaimer' remains intact. This also happens on forwards. This user does not have their Outlook set to remove the text in their options.. And as stated, this only happens with this particular law firm. I have opened the email message, and looked for macros, but there don't appear to be any. So.. my question is: How are they doing it? How does this law firm force recipients to lose the origi...

Delete a user
How can I delete a user once all records have been re-assigned and all licenses and security roles removed? You can't remove users. ...

Annoying Prompt at Close
Hi all, I have an Excel workbook that was originally written in Quattro Pro and later converted to Excel. Every time I close the workbook, even though I have NOT made any changes, it asks me if I want to save the "changes". This is very annoying. Can anyone tell me what I could do to get rid of this prompt? Thanks. CC, you may have a formula in the sheet that is calculating every time the workbook is open, something like =NOW() -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can be...

How to delete?
I amusing Money Plus Premium, and I have a problem I hope you can help with. T Rowe Price changed my user name, so my online services no longer worked. So I stopped Online updates, and re-created it. I got a bunch of statements and recent transactions even though I said I did not want any transactions. So I went through them, but I think by mistake I accepted a match that was incorrect, so my current balance of one fund was wrong. After trying to figure out what the transaction was, and redoing the process again, I went back to yesterday's backup and started over. But now, I hav...

Keeping Deleted Items Folder Cleaned Up
I'm trying to add a rule that will delete any item over 2 years old in my deleted items folder. The rules wizard only lets me select the inbox. I delete stuff but don't clear deleted box in case I need it later. Is there a way that I could send a deleted email to a temporary folder and have a rule for it to send it to the deleted box and have my deleted box emptied whenever I log out? Thanks for your help, Marw ...

Ctrl-c fails to work
Unusual issue. I don't know if anyone knows a workaround. When a user opens GP (v7.5 sp4 and 7), ctrl-c and ctrl-v work fine for copying and pasting. Once Transactions>>Financial>>Reconcile is opened, ctrl-c no longer works. You can click edit>>copy, but the keyboard shortcut to copy fails (ctrl-v still works). Closing GP and reopening resolves the issue, until you open that window again. Any thoughts? I have a client that has the same issue that the Ctrl-C will fails to work on the SOP item line. However have not yet been able to determine what conditions cause i...

How can that happen?
I use WLM and I have to admit I now quite like it after Outlook Express. I get a lot of clips, stories, pictures and the like, that I wish to send to people on my contacts list. I was told the best way to do it is to use the TO box and set it up for myself, which I did, called Distrubution - and put the contacts all in the BCC box. This worked very well but with 6 hours I received spam messages addresses to Distrubution. My question is - how is this possible? One or more of the people that received your message are having addresses harvested for spam. -- Ron Sommer M...

hOW TO DELETE THE
"KimSingh" <KimSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > How to delete the - in (23-HFV51), I have lots of rows with data. Assume the source is in col A, A2 down Put in B2: =SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","") Copy down Copy col B, then paste special as values to overwrite col A -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- Edit>Replace what: - with: nothing Replace all. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:07:02 -0800, "KimSingh" <KimSingh@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Conditional Delete
I want to delete all cells that contain specific text. Any help would be appreciated! I'd select that column and do Data|Filter|autofilter Then use the dropdown and choose custom contains: (type in your value) And delete the visible rows Then data|Filter|autofilter (to remove the filter) ======= You may be able to chose the value you want from the dropdown, too--avoiding the Custom stuff. gsxith3@embarqmail.com wrote: > > I want to delete all cells that contain specific text. Any help would > be appreciated! -- Dave Peterson Edit>Find what: yourtext Find all. ...

deleting a record after copying data
I currently have code in a form called workorders to execute after update to copy data over to a new form called Closed_Workorders. using two different tables (tasks and closed tasks) How do I write the code to delete the record once it is copied. "Thanks for your Support" Here is the code: Private Sub Status_AfterUpdate() If Status = "Completed" Then Dim StDocName As String Dim StDocnbr As String StDocName = "Completed_WorkOrders" StDocnbr = [Log_Number] DoCmd.OpenForm StDocName DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec Forms![Completed_WorkOrders]...

Will deleting a Form delete attached code? AND How to see ALL code in dB ?
1 Will deleting a Form delete any code attached to the form? 2 Is there a way to see all the code associated with an Access data base? 3 - Or must you open every form and ask for code view? Or what? 3 - Can you print all the code out at once or must you open each object and print code associated with that object? thanks for the help. Mel "Mel" <MyEmailList@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177956107.236707.142280@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >1 Will deleting a Form delete any code attached to the form? Well, the answer is "kind of" yes. It is important t...

why does deleted email have a line thru it
I have 2 email accounts. One works fine. On the other; when I delete an email I have a line thru it and the email stays in the inbox and cannot be removed. Help. Did you try and hit Send\Receive when the line is through the message. Does it delete then -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFDC8DB7-12D5-47C3-AA1E-74F72CF0258D@microsoft.com... >I have 2 email accounts. One works fine. On t...

Deletion of Backups
I want to automatically copy my scheduled nightly GP backup to an external drive and then delete the backup off the server. GP doesn't allow the backup directly to the external drive. What would be the best way to accomplish that? ------=_NextPart_0001_D418A9F0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello David, Thanks for posting in Microsoft Forums! Please note the new Forums posting area at the following URL - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ Recommendation is to configure a Job right within SQL Server as a scheduled Maintenance P...

#Deleted
Hello, I have a continuous form where the rs is from a main table, and one currency field from a detail table. If data is entered into the detail table field, the info is entered correctly, along with a few other default field values not displayed. My problem is, if the detail record has a value, and the user overwrites with $0 or clears the field, I wish to delete the child record. I am doing this with a runsql delete. All this is fine, but I then get a #Deleted displayed on my form. Me.requery fixes the problem but also makes the first record the current record, and ...

Deleting Outlook 2002
I have just bought Office 2003 and want to load Outlook 2003. I don't seem to be able to do this. Outlook 2002 won't delete; I've deleted in the Add/Remove programmes in the Control Panel but still the Outlook version remains 2002. I think that the best solution is to delete 2002 and then re-intall Office 2003 Can anyone help please Installing Outlook 2003 should automatically remove Outlook 2002, since only one version is allowed per machine. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Deve...

2 contacts folders with the same name, but I see just 1 of them, How to delete the 2nd?
Hi, In my outlook 2000, I managed to create a contact folder twice with the same name (I don't know how, but I did). Now both folders appear when I click on the "To" button in a new e-mail. One of them contains my contacts and the other is empty. I want to delete the empty one. The problem is that one one of those 2 folders appear under contacts and it's the one that contains my contacts (not the empty one). How can I delete the empty one? Thanks ThunderMusic Very odd. I'd love to know how you did that. You should post your mail support mode before we try anythin...

Turn off "alerts" to save/delete tables
Hi, I am trying to run a Macro that runs 3 queries. In the process tables are being deleted/created and there are a lot of prompts to save/delete etc... I just want to turn these off. I got some advice but was having a few issues implementing them. Here is where I am so far. In the Macro - I tried to turn off the alerts at the beginning and then turn them on again. OpenModule: OpenQuery: OpenQuery: OpenQuery: OpenModule: End of macro... In OpenModule: ModuleName = Module1 Procedure = SetOff In Module1 I have ////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Option Compare Da...

How to delete unnesessary files of exchange
Hi i know that the most of transaction file are not important although each file book 5 MB , thats big hedec to the system so please for any body know how to manage this issue in a safe way i'll appreciate Maged N. Roshdy Perform a full backup with an Exchange aware backup program. If the backup completes successfully, the log files that have been committed will be removed. (ntbackup.exe is an exchange aware backup program) "Maged N. Roshdy" <MagedNRoshdy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE3CD727-EF08-48AE-81A3-C42133AE642E@microsoft.com... > ...

Easy Question for deleting rows.
I have a report that varies in length each day. I have information at the end of the report I want to program to delete in an existing macro. What code would I use to delete the last 5 lines at the end of the report. The code would go in the active sheet in an existing macro. Thanks so much One way to do this This example find the last row with data on the sheet with the function Sub test() Range("A" & LastRow(ActiveSheet) - 4).Resize(5).EntireRow.Delete End Sub Function LastRow(sh As Worksheet) On Error Resume Next LastRow = sh.Cells.Find(What:="*", _...

Deleting records in PrincipalObjectAccess Table
I have setup a new, custom entity that will associate multiple Owners with one account. The custom entity record will contain the AccountId (linked to Account entity) and the OwnerId (linked to the User entity). My onSave code will pull the GUIDs of the Account and User entered into the new record. Then I run the GrantAccess method to share the selected account with the selected user (owner). The system creates several records in the PrincipalObjectAccess" table, for objects (contacts, opportunities, activities, etc.) inheriting rights from this account. I now need to handle the foll...

finding deleted mail
when I click to delete an e-mail message, where does it go? I've looked in the Deleted Messages folder, and there's nothing in it. They don't go to the Windows Recycle Bin, either. In Outlook Express---all deleted mail went to the Deleted Mail folder, which was emptied when the program was shut down. As it sometimes happens that I delete a message by mistake, it would be helpful to know how to get it back. Thanks for the help. Hi, hndymn. What kind of Mail Account: POP3, Hotmail, IMAP...? Deleted from an Inbox? Or from a Storage Folder? Or...? Have you check...

Cannot delete emails the first time I try
We recently upgraded to Exchange 2010. Two users, both using fully updated versions of Outlook 2003 are having errors when deleting emails from any folder. You hit delete the first time and nothing happens. You hit delete a second time and it deletes the email, but returns a box saying "unknown error". I have recreated their profiles and have the same problem. ...