No Standby in Safe Mode?

I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded.  I'm going to sit at home and dink a
bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.

The church scenario is especially bad.  The protection prgrams want to
touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
whole computer scans, etc.  Really slows the machine down.  So I would
start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
my VB program.  Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
pop it open and it's ready to go.

A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
and still run my VB.  It seemed like the perfect answer!!  (Right in
front of me the whole time, naturally!)

But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode.  Is
there a way to add this in?  Or maybe invoke it with a script or other
method?

Ed
0
Ed

Hi Ed,

    You can use msconfig to convert Normal Mode to a Clean Mode and have
Standby.

    Open msconfig.
    Click Services Click or Check Hide All Microsoft Services. Now click
Disable All. Click Apply. Click OK.
    Click Startup. Click Disable All, then click what Startup programs you
still want. Click Apply. Click OK.
    Click OK. Click OK. Click Restart.

--
thecreator

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
> my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded.  I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> The church scenario is especially bad.  The protection prgrams want to
> touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> whole computer scans, etc.  Really slows the machine down.  So I would
> start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> my VB program.  Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
> pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> and still run my VB.  It seemed like the perfect answer!!  (Right in
> front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode.  Is
> there a way to add this in?  Or maybe invoke it with a script or other
> method?
>
> Ed

0
thecreator
6/1/2010 3:13:38 PM
On Jun 1, 10:31=A0am, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
> my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded. =A0I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> The church scenario is especially bad. =A0The protection prgrams want to
> touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> whole computer scans, etc. =A0Really slows the machine down. =A0So I woul=
> start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> my VB program. =A0Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
> pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> and still run my VB. =A0It seemed like the perfect answer!! =A0(Right in
> front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode. =A0Is
> there a way to add this in? =A0Or maybe invoke it with a script or other
> method?
>
> Ed

Do you mean to say that when you boot in Safe Mode, you have Stand By
in the Turn off computer menu but the Stand By button is not enabled
(clickable)?

What is you had two configurations that you could choose when you boot
- one that would run everything normally and a second one for your
drinking time that just enables the things you want?

0
Jose
6/1/2010 4:16:30 PM
Using msconfig - unless I could script it or save the "Clean Mode" as
a start-up option - would take more time and clicks than simply
letting it boot normally then using one or two clicks per icon to turn
things off.  Can I save that other config as a boot option?

Ed

On Jun 1, 8:13=A0am, "thecreator" <thecrea...@home.com> wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>
> =A0 =A0 You can use msconfig to convert Normal Mode to a Clean Mode and h=
ave
> Standby.
>
> =A0 =A0 Open msconfig.
> =A0 =A0 Click Services Click or Check Hide All Microsoft Services. Now cl=
ick
> Disable All. Click Apply. Click OK.
> =A0 =A0 Click Startup. Click Disable All, then click what Startup program=
s you
> still want. Click Apply. Click OK.
> =A0 =A0 Click OK. Click OK. Click Restart.
>
> --
> thecreator
>
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:fc26a284-3856-4=
99d-8187-7cef7d7b7e11@v12g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

> > I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> > running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
> > my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> > terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded. =A0I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> > bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> > The church scenario is especially bad. =A0The protection prgrams want t=
> > touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> > whole computer scans, etc. =A0Really slows the machine down. =A0So I wo=
uld
> > start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> > programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> > activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> > my VB program. =A0Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
> > pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> > A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> > start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> > and still run my VB. =A0It seemed like the perfect answer!! =A0(Right i=
> > front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> > But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode. =A0Is
> > there a way to add this in? =A0Or maybe invoke it with a script or othe=
> > method?
>
> > Ed- Hide quoted text -

Ed
6/1/2010 4:53:23 PM
what you can do is to
utilize the "start up"
folder under program
files start menu

and place programs you
want started with the desktop
for a particular login.

then for another login
leave the startup folder
blank.

to populate a startup
folder with programs
that are to launch with
a certain login,

you can open up the
msconfig console and
basically move the programs
under the startup tab to the
startup folder,

sort of speak.

db���`�...�><)))�>

DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This NNTP newsgroup is evolving to:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
> my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded.  I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> The church scenario is especially bad.  The protection prgrams want to
> touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> whole computer scans, etc.  Really slows the machine down.  So I would
> start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> my VB program.  Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
> pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> and still run my VB.  It seemed like the perfect answer!!  (Right in
> front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode.  Is
> there a way to add this in?  Or maybe invoke it with a script or other
> method?
>
> Ed

0
Db
6/1/2010 4:57:01 PM
> Do you mean to say that when you boot in Safe Mode, you have Stand By
> in the Turn off computer menu but the Stand By button is not enabled
> (clickable)?

Sorry - in Safe mode, the Standby option is not in the drop-down menu
for Start button >> Shut Down.

> What if you had two configurations that you could choose when you boot
> - one that would run everything normally and a second one for your
> dinking time that just enables the things you want?

I'd love it!!  Don't know how to set it up, and don't want to spend an
extra 20-30 minutes tweaking every time I use it.  That just defeats
the purpose.

I had thought of uninstalling ZoneAlarm, etc and then creating a
second user and reinstalling the programs just under that user.  Don't
know if that owuld do the trick.  Lotta work if it doesn't.

Ed

On Jun 1, 9:16=A0am, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 10:31=A0am, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> > running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
> > my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> > terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded. =A0I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> > bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> > The church scenario is especially bad. =A0The protection prgrams want t=
> > touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> > whole computer scans, etc. =A0Really slows the machine down. =A0So I wo=
uld
> > start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> > programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> > activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> > my VB program. =A0Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
> > pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> > A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> > start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> > and still run my VB. =A0It seemed like the perfect answer!! =A0(Right i=
> > front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> > But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode. =A0Is
> > there a way to add this in? =A0Or maybe invoke it with a script or othe=
> > method?
>
> > Ed
>
> Do you mean to say that when you boot in Safe Mode, you have Stand By
> in the Turn off computer menu but the Stand By button is not enabled
> (clickable)?
>
> What is you had two configurations that you could choose when you boot
> - one that would run everything normally and a second one for your
> drinking time that just enables the things you want?- Hide quoted text -

Ed
6/1/2010 4:57:55 PM
Look into Hardware Profiles, search your Windows Help for more
information or read here:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/hardware_profiles.html
Windows XP Hardware Profiles - Little known goodies

Ken Salter's FSAutoStart might just be the tool for you, this was
written for Flight Sim users who need to squeeze as much power as
possible out of their machines to run the game but it can be used for
all kinds of other similar needs:

John

Ed from AZ wrote:
> I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not want
> my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded.  I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> The church scenario is especially bad.  The protection prgrams want to
> touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> whole computer scans, etc.  Really slows the machine down.  So I would
> start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> my VB program.  Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to church,
> pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> and still run my VB.  It seemed like the perfect answer!!  (Right in
> front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode.  Is
> there a way to add this in?  Or maybe invoke it with a script or other
> method?
>
> Ed
0
John
6/1/2010 5:14:55 PM
Why not create a separate "Clean Boot" profile and use it in those
instances you cite below?

Ed from AZ wrote:
> Using msconfig - unless I could script it or save the "Clean Mode" as
> a start-up option - would take more time and clicks than simply
> letting it boot normally then using one or two clicks per icon to turn
> things off.  Can I save that other config as a boot option?
>
> Ed
>
> On Jun 1, 8:13 am, "thecreator" <thecrea...@home.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ed,
>>
>> You can use msconfig to convert Normal Mode to a Clean Mode and have
>> Standby.
>>
>> Open msconfig.
>> Click Services Click or Check Hide All Microsoft Services. Now click
>> Disable All. Click Apply. Click OK.
>> Click Startup. Click Disable All, then click what Startup programs
>> you
>> still want. Click Apply. Click OK.
>> Click OK. Click OK. Click Restart.
>>
>> --
>> thecreator
>>
>> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:fc26a284-3856-499d-8187-7cef7d7b7e11@v12g2000prb.googlegroups.com...
>>

>>> I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
>>> running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not
>>> want my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free,
>>> Spyware terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded. I'm going to sit at home and
>>> dink a bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>>
>>> The church scenario is especially bad. The protection prgrams want
>>> to touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for
>>> updates, run whole computer scans, etc. Really slows the machine
>>> down. So I would start it up at home, wait for it to finish
>>> ZoneAlarm - stop all internet activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all
>>> scans, monitering, etc), and load my VB program. Then I could shut
>>> down to Standby, take it to church, pop it open and it's ready to
>>> go.
>>
>>> A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I
>>> can start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on
>>> start, and still run my VB. It seemed like the perfect answer!!
>>> (Right in front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>>
>>> But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode. Is
>>> there a way to add this in? Or maybe invoke it with a script or
>>> other method?
>>
>>> Ed- Hide quoted text -

Daave
6/1/2010 5:35:40 PM
>> Why not create a separate "Clean Boot" profile and
>> use it in those instances you cite below?

Any chance it would be as simple as copying the current user folder
and renaming it, then modifying that one?  8>}

John - Thanks for those links!  I think you may have answered my
question above!

Ed
0
Ed
6/1/2010 9:33:38 PM
Hi Ed from AZ,

You basically nailed it.  What You See Is What You Get.  Safe mode is
meant as a fail safe way to get back into your PC in case you are having
errors with software, video problems, etc.  Stand By is just another one
of those programs that will get forgotten in safe mode.

Creative_Ideas

0
Creative_Ideas
6/1/2010 10:08:41 PM
On Jun 1, 12:57=A0pm, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Do you mean to say that when you boot in Safe Mode, you have Stand By
> > in the Turn off computer menu but the Stand By button is not enabled
> > (clickable)?
>
> Sorry - in Safe mode, the Standby option is not in the drop-down menu
> for Start button >> Shut Down.
>
> > What if you had two configurations that you could choose when you boot
> > - one that would run everything normally and a second one for your
> > dinking time that just enables the things you want?
>
> I'd love it!! =A0Don't know how to set it up, and don't want to spend an
> extra 20-30 minutes tweaking every time I use it. =A0That just defeats
> the purpose.
>
> I had thought of uninstalling ZoneAlarm, etc and then creating a
> second user and reinstalling the programs just under that user. =A0Don't
> know if that owuld do the trick. =A0Lotta work if it doesn't.
>
> Ed
>
> On Jun 1, 9:16=A0am, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 1, 10:31=A0am, Ed from AZ <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I've had an on-going frustration with my laptop (Dell D600 Latitude
> > > running XP Pro SP 3)- there are many times I use it that I do not wan=
> > > my WiFi network services or "protection programs" (AVG free, Spyware
> > > terminator, ZoneAlarm) loaded. =A0I'm going to sit at home and dink a
> > > bit, or use a VB program I wrote at church.
>
> > > The church scenario is especially bad. =A0The protection prgrams want=
> > > touch every file and scan it, periodically call home for updates, run
> > > whole computer scans, etc. =A0Really slows the machine down. =A0So I =
would
> > > start it up at home, wait for it to finish loading, and shut the
> > > programs down (Fn+F2 kills the WiFi, ZoneAlarm - stop all internet
> > > activity, Spyware & AVG - stop all scans, monitering, etc), and load
> > > my VB program. =A0Then I could shut down to Standby, take it to churc=
h,
> > > pop it open and it's ready to go.
>
> > > A real D'oh!! moment over the weekend when it dawned on my that I can
> > > start up in Safe mode, have no WiFi or other programs load on start,
> > > and still run my VB. =A0It seemed like the perfect answer!! =A0(Right=
 in
> > > front of me the whole time, naturally!)
>
> > > But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode. =A0Is
> > > there a way to add this in? =A0Or maybe invoke it with a script or ot=
her
> > > method?
>
> > > Ed
>
> > Do you mean to say that when you boot in Safe Mode, you have Stand By
> > in the Turn off computer menu but the Stand By button is not enabled
> > (clickable)?
>
> > What is you had two configurations that you could choose when you boot
> > - one that would run everything normally and a second one for your
> > drinking time that just enables the things you want?- Hide quoted text =
-

Sounds like you are on your way.

I think of Safe Mode is a debugging tool - not a way to run things.
When you boot Safe Mode, it uses a minimal configuration and that does
not include your video drivers that you would normally use in a
regular boot.

Lot of things don't work in Safe Mode because they are not supposed to
work - that is not how Safe Mode was designed to be used.

Sometimes when folks see the Stand By or Hibernate options missing or
grayed out, chances are pretty good they do not have the correct video
drivers so updating them will fix the issue.

Sometimes you will see advice to "Try to run sfc /scannow in Safe
Mode" - a trial and error troubleshooting method, but sfc /scannow
will not run in Safe Mode - it is not supposed to.  Try it and you
will see this:

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system
files.
The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is
unavailable.].

You cannot start the RPC Server in Safe Mode either.

You could however run sfc /scanonce to initial a /scannow on the next
reboot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747/en

That advice always cracks me up.

You may also wan to look at the consequences of enabling so much
(perhaps too much) protection in your anti-whatever you are running
applications.  Enabling all scanning options comes at a price - and
that price is a performance hit.

Some people think enabling things like email scanning is not
necessary:

Why you don't need your anti-virus to scan your email:

I would lean towards two profiles/logins.  One for when  you are
drinking and one when you are not drinking.  Oh - you said
"dinking"...

You may have to reinstall some things to make it "easy", but live and
learn with new ideas and second thoughts just makes you smarter.

0
Jose
6/2/2010 12:47:50 AM
Thanks for the reply, Jose.

On Jun 1, 5:47=A0pm, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I think of Safe Mode is a debugging tool - not a way to run things.
> When you boot Safe Mode, it uses a minimal configuration and that does
> not include your video drivers that you would normally use in a
> regular boot.

That would be fine for what I do at church.  But I would probably miss
some functions at home "dinking" around (as in puttering, doing this
'n that, playing a game or two - not a typo as I don't do the
"drinking" thing).

> You may also wan to look at the consequences of enabling so much
> (perhaps too much) protection in your anti-whatever you are running
> applications. =A0Enabling all scanning options comes at a price - and
> that price is a performance hit.

Which is why I try to turn a lot of it off when I know I'm not going
to need it - like when I'm not on the 'net or using any files other
than what's already on my machine and already scanned to death!

> I would lean towards two profiles/logins. =A0
> You may have to reinstall some things to make it "easy", but live and
> learn with new ideas and second thoughts just makes you smarter.

Learning and getting smarter is always my preferred choice!
Thanks to all for the learning!!

Ed
0
Ed
6/2/2010 1:44:22 PM
There's no way I know to call the system into "Standby" mode.

I know how to invoke "Hibernate" from the command-line (cmd.exe) or "Run"
box :

RUNDLL32.EXE  PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

....but again, as for sending it into "Standby" mode, I downloaded a great
little (yet very powerful) tool called "NirCMD.exe" which, amongst it's
myriad functions, is a call for system "Standby" :

nircmd.exe standby force

....you can download the nircmd.exe utility by clicking on the link below :

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.zip

Just open the archive and copy the contents into your C:\WINDOWS directory.
You should then run the command to send the system into standby.

I can't see why it wouldn't still work in safe-mode, but I haven't tried it
so I don't know.

Worth a try...   if it does work, you could paste the command into a new
shortcut, so you could have a one-click-standby mode from the desktop...

==

Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)

"Ed from AZ" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> < clipped >
>
> But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode.  Is
> there a way to add this in?  Or maybe invoke it with a script or other
> method?
>
> Ed

0
Tim
6/2/2010 11:25:52 PM
On Jun 2, 7:25=A0pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...@o2.co.uk> wrote:
> There's no way I know to call the system into "Standby" mode.
>
> I know how to invoke "Hibernate" from the command-line (cmd.exe) or "Run"
> box :
>
> RUNDLL32.EXE =A0PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
>
> ...but again, as for sending it into "Standby" mode, I downloaded a great
> little (yet very powerful) tool called "NirCMD.exe" which, amongst it's
> myriad functions, is a call for system "Standby" :
>
> nircmd.exe standby force
>
> ...you can download the nircmd.exe utility by clicking on the link below =
:

> http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.zip
>
> Just open the archive and copy the contents into your C:\WINDOWS director=
y.
> You should then run the command to send the system into standby.
>
> I can't see why it wouldn't still work in safe-mode, but I haven't tried =
it
> so I don't know.
>
> Worth a try... =A0 if it does work, you could paste the command into a ne=
> shortcut, so you could have a one-click-standby mode from the desktop...
>
> =3D=3D
>
> Cheers, =A0 =A0Tim Meddick, =A0 =A0Peckham, London. =A0 =A0:-)
>
> "Ed from AZ" <prof_ofw...@yahoo.com> wrote in messagenews:fc26a284-3856-4=
99d-8187-7cef7d7b7e11@v12g2000prb.googlegroups.com...

> > < clipped >
>
> > But I don't have Stand By in the Shut Down menu on Safe Mode. =A0Is
> > there a way to add this in? =A0Or maybe invoke it with a script or othe=
> > method?
>
> > Ed

Even that rundll32 command will not work in Safe Mode (at least for
me).  I already tried it.  If it worked I would have suggested
somebody help write a batch file or something to a shortcut.

Does it work for you in Safe Mode - even invoking hibernate from Safe
Mode (did you actually try it).

Does your nircmd work in Safe Mode?  I have that nircmd somewhere...

Stand By seems to be risky too me anyway, so I will never use it or
recommend it.  It had it's day though.

I am a chronic hibernator.(but not in Safe Mode).
0
Jose
6/2/2010 11:53:40 PM
Tim Meddick wrote:
> There's no way I know to call the system into "Standby" mode.

You have to disable Hibernate then your command will put the computer
into standby:

Powercfg /h off
(Hibernate is disabled)

RUNDLL32.EXE  PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
(the computer will go into stand by)

Powercfg /h on
(Hibernate is enabled)

RUNDLL32.EXE  PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
(the computer will hibernate)

John
0
John
6/3/2010 1:13:22 AM
Well, thanks, I didn't actually know that....

But, don't you think that it's cheating a little bit?

If you wanted the ability to call either function at any time, without
having to remember to enable /disable / re-enable hibernate-mode, then you
could just do the simple little thing I advised, and download the
NirCMD.exe utility, and execute either :

RUNDLL32.EXE  PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
To (as is natural) place PC in hibernate (S3) mode.

....or...

nircmd.exe standby force
To (without having to "disable" anything) place the PC into suspend (S1)
state.

Again; download the simple [free] and powerful NirCMD.exe utility :

"John John - MVP" <audetweld@nbnot.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Tim Meddick wrote:
>> There's no way I know to call the system into "Standby" mode.
>
> You have to disable Hibernate then your command will put the computer
> into standby:
>
> Powercfg /h off
> (Hibernate is disabled)
>
> RUNDLL32.EXE  PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
> (the computer will go into stand by)

> Powercfg /h on
> (Hibernate is enabled)
>
> RUNDLL32.EXE  PowrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
> (the computer will hibernate)
>
> John

0
Tim

Cache mode #3
Hy, if i enable the cache mode on my client i download on local also the exchange gal? If yes, the gal is updated when i'm connected to the exchange server? i ask it because some users have cache mode enable and when they wrote to distribution list, new users not receive the message, i think threre is some problem with the update on the local gal..., what can i check? Thanks Kentucky Kentucky wrote: > Hy, if i enable the cache mode on my client i download on local also > the exchange gal? Yes. > If yes, the gal is updated when i'm connected to the exchange server? Yes. >...

Adding an Ex2K only site to a Mixed Mode Org. SRS? ADC?
Hi all, to simplify an earlier question I posted (as I'm starting to confuse myself here! :-) If I add a new Ex2K only site (single server) to an exisiting Mixed mode Organisation (last few Ex5.5 servers dotted around) will I.... a) need to start the SRS service on the Ex2K server on the new site? b) need to do anything with ADC Connection Agreements? Many thanks Graeme ...

faq: customize the file open dialog's view mode
Hi all, How to change the default view mode of the "Open file dialog" to thumbnail view mode when we once open the common file dialog box? Thanks. Take a look at the following link http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/04/11/CQA/default.aspx Cheers Check Abdoul ------------ "fcvcnet" <fcvcnet@163.com> wrote in message news:fk7vdf$hcu$1@news.cn99.com... > Hi all, > How to change the default view mode of the "Open file dialog" to > thumbnail view mode when we once open the common file dialog box? > Thanks. Check Abdoul �: > Tak...

Outlook 2003 cached mode synchronisation issues and Exchange 5.5
Hi All, We currently run Exchange 5.5 SP4 on Win2k and have upgraded the majority of clients (100+) to Outlook 2003. The Exchange server and clients use Symantec Antivirus. Initially we used cached mode with these clients to take advantage of the Junk Mail filter. Howver we began to notice the following two issues. 1. If we moved a large mailbox (25Mb +)to cached mode the follwoing messge would be received in the synchronisation log Error synchronizing folder 09:13:13 [80040119-546-50A-560] 09:13:13 The item is currently being scanned for viruses. Try again in a few moments. 09:13:1...

Retrieve Exchange 2007 safe list
Hi, Is there a way to retrieve a user's safelist, on a per mailbox basis? I have an external custom filtering solution that I'd like to populate with this data. > Hi, > Is there a way to retrieve a user's safelist, on a per mailbox basis? I > have an external custom filtering solution that I'd like to populate with > this data. > Anyone ? On 3/15/2010 10:36 AM, Christian wrote: >> Hi, >> Is there a way to retrieve a user's safelist, on a per mailbox basis? I >> have an external custom filtering solution that I'd like...

Mail rule based on "safe senders"?
Does Outlook 2003 have the ability to create a mail rule sensitive to whether or not the originator (or their domain) is a "Safe sender"? My very last rule dumps mail from people who are not in my address book into folder "Unknown origin". There's a class of sender that I'd like to exempt from this rule, without putting them in my address book. Using the "Safe Sender" mechanism seems the ideal tool for this, but I can't see how to use it in my rules. -- Steve Swift http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html http://www.ringers.org.uk You could put e...

IMAP folder's Inbox appears to open in a quasi autopreview mode
Why does my IMAP Outlook folder's inbox repeatedly open in a quasi AutoPreview mode in that some but not all messages appear to be displayed as autopreview displays messages. I have it configured to open in Preview mode which works but it also is displaying some messages in autopreview mode at the same time. Note: This doesn't happen with a pop3 email account's inbox. It seems to only happen with the inbox of an IMAP account's personal folder. Does anyone know hoe to fix this? Richard E. Maier Community Legal Services Inc. I.T. Manager ...

Why was /safe:2 removed as a command line swiitch in Outlook 2007?
/safe:2 started outlook without immediately reading or sending mail. For some reason (which I would like to understand) it is the only /safe option that was removed in Outlook 2007. Why? ...

Yes for Normal mode, no for Safe mode.....
....says the computer. Hello Everyone, It's been a while. I hope all is well. I've never encountered this one before. With the code 0x0000007B. The MS Knowledge base article says it could be a virus, a bad controller driver or third party software. In XP Home, sp 3 I mean. I scanned for viruses. I found some but now I believe they are gone. I even pulled out the drive and put it in another healthy pc as a second drive and scanned like that also. If it was a boot sector virus it would not boot at all, is that right? I did the scans in diagnostic startup from msc...

Form opening in edit mode
I have a form that is based on a query. The query extracts the master list from the tool master. My understanding was that since the form is based on query it would be read only. This is not happening . The form can be edited. I need the user to view the form in read only. I tried opening the form using a macro as read only but i have a filter option set and if i set read only the filter does not work. what can I do to have the form work as readonly and have the filter on. I had used the FindAsUtype from Allen Browne example. thanks in advance. In the form set the AllowEdits Propert...

Switch Modes from internet to Exchange
I need access to services that the exchange version of outlook provides. I've installed Office 2003 Beta with the internet option for Outlook. How do I switch to the exchange option? Thank you There isn't a switchable mode ever since Outlook 2002, close down Outlook and Access the Mail Icon in Control Panel and select email accounts and Add anew account of type Exchange "Harold Solomon" <harold@seraphimpartners.com> wrote in message news:095c01c35aa0$5ae1f1d0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I need access to services that the exchange version of > outlook provides. I...

Design Mode?
I was copy and pasting from website, think I hit cntrl somthing and it is now stuck in design mode. I think. The curser looks like a number sighn and there are dots between words. I tried to turn off design mode and it wont turn off. Is this a virus? No, it's "Show" mode. Click the "Show/Hide" button (see the Help) again to turn it on or off. On 20/01/10 8:17 AM, in article 4887F4A7-112C-4F51-9F03-751B37044619@microsoft.com, "Ellyatt" <Ellyatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I was copy and pasting from website, think I hit cnt...

Office Migration : how to enable Outllook cache mode
Hello, I have to migrate few hundred users from Office XP to Office 2k3 with the Oulook 2k3 cache mode enabled. But I have to keep my user profil. I try to use the custom installation Wizzard to custom an MST file but as I use the existing user profile (in Office XP no cache mode) my migrated users do not have this mode cache enabled. How can I do ? Scipt ? GPO ? Does anyone has any lead or suggestion ? thx for your help, Guillaume. I have a lead. It sounds that it would be possible to to force enabling cache mode thank to GPO. On condition to get the ADM. I'...

Calander in Forms Mode
Hi everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me...I am trying to put together a spreadsheet someone will be entering data into. I would like this to be as easy as possible. Does any one know if in forms mode (from the Data menu) I can have a calender pop up for easy date entry? Any help will do. Thanks so much. -- Jules Jules Not from the Data>Form. See Ron de Bruin's site for adding a pop-up calendar. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 15 May 2007 11:06:03 -0700, Jules <Jules@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi everyone! ...

frame creation bug in release mode
Hello !! I have a MDI MFC app which works well in debug mode. But in release mode, one of my dialog crashes the app the *second time* it is openned ! (everything is fine the first time the dialog is openned) Two errors are displayed : - "An exception (0xC0000090) occured during DllEntryPoint or DllMain module : D:\path_to_a_dll\a_dll.dll" - An invalid floating point operation (0xC0000090) ... In fact this is the same error ... But I don't use the specified Dll (which is one of my project's dll) in this dialog ; and I also don't use any floating point operation near the e...

Outlook 2003 cached mode deployment
Hi All, I'm trying to create an installation, with the resource kit Custom installation wizard, to install Outlook 2003 client with cached mode enabled. Installation works fine but when I open up outlook for the first time I recieve a the message "Unable to open default e-mail folders" I found that the reason for this is that the ost file is not been created at the first start of outlook. When I go to the "Offline Folder file settings" I see the propused setting is "%userprofile%\My Documents\outlook\outlook.ost" Which is the correct setting i ga...

assertion problem in Mixed mode DLL
Pardon the cross post, but I'm not sure where exactly to post this question. We have MFC application using many MFC extention DLL's. We started using a new MFC extention DLL that is mixed mode so we could use some .Net components we have built. We are getting an assertion in ~CCmdTarget when exiting our app when after making a call to Windows Forms MessageBox. On line 48, m_dwRef is 2 for some reason. Offending line - System::Windows::Forms::MessageBox::Show("Test"); Is there some function I need to call to release something that I am missing? Any ideas? Thanks... Craig...

CMemFile not working in VC++ 6.0 RELEASE mode
I am using VC++ 6.0 and have a multi-threaded application (exe & multiple DLLs) which seem to be having a CMemFile object getting clobbered when running in release mode. It does not happen in debug mode. When running in the debugger, the calling thread that builds the memory file reports: GetPosition = 0 GetLength = 228 ptr to memfile = aa2238 the method GetTextLineNOF is passed a ptr to CMemFile and reports: GetPosition = 0 GetLength = 228 ptr to memfile = aa2238 Which agrees as expected. ==== However when running in RELEASE mode: the calling thread that builds the memory file rep...

What is procedure to exit formula auditing mode?
Please advise. Thanks, Doug To remove the arrows ? <Alt> <T> <U> <A> Not really a shortcut though. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "W8" <W8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99B64142-8037-43F4-BDB1-AF7170EF54EC@microsoft.com... Please advise. Thanks, Doug Type Ctrl+` (Grave Accent) to toggle formula auditing mode on/off or go to Tools>Formula Auditing>Formula Auditing Mode. HTH |:&g...

ActiveX control and design mode
Hi, is it possible for an activex control to tell the container to invoke the controls design mode? I'm developing an activex control to be used in office, and I would like the control to start in design mode when inserted into powerpoint for instance. Regards Johan ...

Can You Uninstall From Safe Mode
Is it possible to uninstall Exchange 2003 while running in safe mode? We rebooted an Exchange server, that hosts no mailboxes or folders, and it only makes it to the Applying Computer Settings... splash screen. We have let it sit at this for half an hour and it never went further, but we are able to login with Safe Mode with Networking. If it is not possible to uninstall Exchange through safe mode, can you tell us where to find good documentation on how to manually remove all necessary traces of the Exchange server from Active Directory and not corrupt our Exchange settings? Thank yo...

recovery mode
how can i get to msconfig to change boot file and uncheck boot in safe mode from recovery console ? -- wags "wags" <yourdisplayname@dicussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4213EBD5-FCAE-451E-931F-965913AADD9A@microsoft.com... > how can i get to msconfig to change boot file and uncheck boot in safe > mode > from recovery console ? > -- > wags The simplest method would be to boot into Safe Mode rather than into the Recovery Console, then run msconfig.exe and select the desired boot mode. If you must do it from the Recovery Consol...

Disable the Stealth Mode in Windows Firewall
Hello, is there any way to disable the Stealth mode "feature" in the Windows Vista (Seven, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2)? Here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd448557(WS.10).aspx the MS says: "Stealth mode is enabled by default", but nothing about disabling. This behavior is against RFC and dramatically slows down security scanners installed in our network. So, is there any way of using windows firewall and being nice RFC compliant boy? Thanks, Glatz Specifically which RFC? What kind of "security scanning" are you doing, since it...

Open forum in add mode directly from desktop
Could somebody please tell me how to Open forum in add mode directly from desktop for the desktop or tell me where I can go for an answer THanks in advance!! While looking at your database, you can drag the form onto your desktop. If you click on that shortcut..then eh form will be launched. If you in design mode set the forms data entry property = yes, then the form will always open in add mode. You can also just right click on the mdb file, and go create shortcut. You then put that shortcut on the desktop. To have your form launch in add mode, you can create a macro and name it auto...

outlook safe distribution list
I would like to set up a distribution list that uses the bcc field for the members of the list to protect the identities of the persons on the list but still takes advantage of the personalized to: field for each member. Help would be appreciated. Thank you. You can't do this by using the BCC field then. Use the Mail Merge option from within Word instead. -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- <mcgongee@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1188501c441cc$82119260$a601280a@phx.gbl...