New install - no connection

Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had a hard drive
crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled Media Center Edition. He
accesses the internet through DSL and a router. Another computer is also
plugged into the router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
internet access. Under the "status" tab it says "connected" but under the
support tab the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway lines are all empty.
If he unplugs the ethernet cable, nothing changes. It still says it is
connected. Also, the icon in the tray that should appear with the red X and
the "network cable unplugged" message does not appear. He was having no
problems before the crash. This is something that I've never experienced
before. If it sounds familiar to anyone, plese clue me in as to what might
be going on!  The LAN is built in.

--
                    --- Long live Fat32! ---
0

   Did he reinstall all the necessary drivers?
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had a hard drive
> crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled Media Center Edition. He
> accesses the internet through DSL and a router. Another computer is also
> plugged into the router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
> internet access. Under the "status" tab it says "connected" but under the
> support tab the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway lines are all empty.
> If he unplugs the ethernet cable, nothing changes. It still says it is
> connected. Also, the icon in the tray that should appear with the red X
> and
> the "network cable unplugged" message does not appear. He was having no
> problems before the crash. This is something that I've never experienced
> before. If it sounds familiar to anyone, plese clue me in as to what might
> be going on!  The LAN is built in.
>
> --
>                    --- Long live Fat32! ---

0
Rich
1/18/2010 10:03:15 PM
On 1/18/2010 1:48 PM On a whim, Menno Hershberger pounded out on the
keyboard

> Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had a hard drive
> crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled Media Center Edition. He
> accesses the internet through DSL and a router. Another computer is also
> plugged into the router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
> internet access. Under the "status" tab it says "connected" but under the
> support tab the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway lines are all empty.
> If he unplugs the ethernet cable, nothing changes. It still says it is
> connected. Also, the icon in the tray that should appear with the red X and
> the "network cable unplugged" message does not appear. He was having no
> problems before the crash. This is something that I've never experienced
> before. If it sounds familiar to anyone, plese clue me in as to what might
> be going on!  The LAN is built in.

Are you sure the icon in the tray is for the ethernet that is plugged
in? Doesn't sound like it.

Look in Device Manager (start, run, type devmgmt.msc and click OK) and
see if the network adapter is showing and that the driver is installed
properly.

Terry R.
Terry
1/18/2010 10:03:18 PM
"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had a hard drive
> crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled Media Center Edition. He
> accesses the internet through DSL and a router. Another computer is also
> plugged into the router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
> internet access. Under the "status" tab it says "connected" but under the
> support tab the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway lines are all empty.
> If he unplugs the ethernet cable, nothing changes. It still says it is
> connected. Also, the icon in the tray that should appear with the red X
> and the "network cable unplugged" message does not appear. He was having
> no problems before the crash. This is something that I've never
> experienced before. If it sounds familiar to anyone, plese clue me in as
> to what might be going on!  The LAN is built in.
>
> --
>                    --- Long live Fat32! ---

Right click My Network Places on the Desktop.
Click Properties.
Right click Local Area Connection.
Click Properties.

Under "This connection uses....."
Click "Client for MS Networks".
Click Properties.
Select "Windows Locator" from the dropdown box, if disabled skip.
Click Ok.

Scroll to and select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
Click Properties.

Under the General tab make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is
selected.
Click the Advanced button.

Under the DNS tab:
Selected "Append Primary and Parent  DNS suffixes.
Register this connections address in DNS"

Under the WINS tab > NetBIOS:
Selected Default.
Ok out of MNP.
Reboot if required.

Test connectivity:
Open a command prompt, click Start > Run, type in:  cmd  and press Enter.
At the prompt type each command below and press Enter after each.
**Note:  Space denoted by ^.  Do not type the ^.

ping ^ 192.168.1.1      *Routers IP, change as necessary.
If it times out then there is no communication between the router and machine.
If it doesn't time out then the machine has communication with the router.

ping ^ google.com
If it times out then there is no connection to the net.
If it doesn't time out then net connection is established and all is well.

ping ^ 127.0.0.1
If it fails it may be a TCP/IP stack problem.

Ping each computer from the other using the UNC:
ping ^ computername
If it fails either way there's an IP or Name resolution problem.

If pinging times out on any address, check if the machines IP is correct along
with other settings.
ipconfig ^ /all
If anything isn't correct, at the prompt type and press Enter after each
command:

ipconfig ^ /release
ipconfig ^ /flushdns
ipconfig ^ /renew
ipconfig ^ /registerdns
exit
If that fails reopen the command prompt, run /release and /flushdns only and
exit.

Shut down the machine(s).
Pull the power from the router.
Pull the power from the modem.
Wait approx 30 secs.
Apply power to the modem and wait for it to finish synchronizing with the cable.
Apply power to the router and wait for it to finish synchronizing with the
modem.
Power up the machine(s).
The machine(s) should now be assigned a new IP from the router.
Run ipconfig or attempt net connection to test.

--

Brian A. Sesko
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Suggested posting do's/don'ts:  http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm
How to ask a question:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

0
Brian
1/18/2010 10:07:17 PM
Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in

> Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had
> a hard drive crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled
> Media Center Edition. He accesses the internet through DSL
> and a router. Another computer is also plugged into the
> router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
> internet access.

<SNIP>

If you try all the suggested fixes and nothing works, Google for
"XP TCP/IP fix"

http://www.google.com/search?q=XP+TCP%2FIP+fix&hl=en&ie=ISO-
8859-1

and try the one that seems most friendly. You could try it first
- it won't break anything more than it is already.

READ the info/instructions before doing anything just in case.

--
There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
and those that will break later.

> Menno Hershberger <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in
>
>> Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had
>> a hard drive crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled
>> Media Center Edition. He accesses the internet through DSL
>> and a router. Another computer is also plugged into the
>> router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
>> internet access.
>
><SNIP>
>
> If you try all the suggested fixes and nothing works, Google for
> "XP TCP/IP fix"
>
> http://www.google.com/search?q=XP+TCP%2FIP+fix&hl=en&ie=ISO-
> 8859-1
>
> and try the one that seems most friendly. You could try it first
> - it won't break anything more than it is already.
>
> READ the info/instructions before doing anything just in case.

I had already tried most everything suggested. I had the guy come and get a
network card from me. He took it home, put it in, and it worked fine. So it
had to have been a hardware problem. He has two local area connections now.
Both say they're connected and the new one actually works. If he unplugs
the cable, the appropriate "network cable unplugged" comes up.
The original one can probably be disabled in BIOS, but it's working so he's
going to leave it alone.
Thanks to everyone for all the input.

--
                    --- Long live Fat32! ---
0

> thanatoid<waiting@the.exit.invalid>  wrote in
>
>> Menno Hershberger<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net>  wrote in
>>
>>> Someone in my area has called me and asked for help. He had
>>> a hard drive crash so he put in a new drive and reinstalled
>>> Media Center Edition. He accesses the internet through DSL
>>> and a router. Another computer is also plugged into the
>>> router and is working fine. On this computer, he has no
>>> internet access.
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> If you try all the suggested fixes and nothing works, Google for
>> "XP TCP/IP fix"
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=XP+TCP%2FIP+fix&hl=en&ie=ISO-
>> 8859-1
>>
>> and try the one that seems most friendly. You could try it first
>> - it won't break anything more than it is already.
>>
>> READ the info/instructions before doing anything just in case.
>
> I had already tried most everything suggested. I had the guy come and get a
> network card from me. He took it home, put it in, and it worked fine. So it
> had to have been a hardware problem. He has two local area connections now.
> Both say they're connected and the new one actually works. If he unplugs
> the cable, the appropriate "network cable unplugged" comes up.
> The original one can probably be disabled in BIOS, but it's working so he's
> going to leave it alone.
> Thanks to everyone for all the input.

You can disable the bad NIC in Device Manager.

Terry R.
Terry

new contact list
hello, i got an email that was sent to several emails (i was one of a contac list). how can i make a new contact list of my own with all the emails tha got that email. thank ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Record Unavailable When Creating New Activity Offline
When working with my offline data, I will go into a Contact Record that I have access to offline. I will create a new activity, save it and then keep going. Sporadically when I create an activity for that contact and hit save I will get the Record Unvailalbe error. When I close the window I can create the same exact activity again and it will save just fine. I am working offline with the Outlook client, I am the onwer of the Contact object. The activity can be any type, Phone, Email, Appt. I enabled tracing and was able to catch this in the logs. Here is the error that appears i...

importing email to a new computer
Hi, I'm trying to move a substantial amount of emails from a PC to my new lap top. As the size of the email folder is larger than one CDROM I can only copy specific files at a time. However, when I try to import these files, the program does not recognize them. Any hints on how simply to move my emails from one computer to another? Best, Cameron Outlook or Outlook Express? Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm Outlook & Exchange/Windows Messaging Backup and Dual-Boot Outlook Express: Backing Up, Recovering and Restoring OE5/6 Files a...

Add new user in CRM 3.0
On a new system, using the web interface to add a new user, ust after putting in domain\username I get the message "An error has occurred. For more information contact your system admnistrator" - no info from AD is displayed. Using the Deployment Manager, I never manage to get any domains or users listed. This leaves me unable to add users at all.. Single Domain: Win2003 with AD. SQL 2005 Svr SP1 Any help would be appreciated.. You might go to the web.config file in the CRM root folder and set remote errors to Off so you can get an informative error message. -- Matt Wittema...

How to connect to remote server and access the tables
I am working on Vb.Net application. I have to connect to remote server(it's IP address)(this server is not on my network). This company has provide me username, companyname and password. Once, I get connected, I get the SessionID. Now, I need to download some of the tables from here. How do I do this. Pls note, this company has some web services. If I create a reference to it's web services, how do I access it's database(tables)? I appreciate your quick response and thanku in advance If you connect just to a web services then you need to know what they return to you when y...

Possible to delete the Workspace of a project ONLY for re-creation with a new template?
I've improved the central template about a day after a user of mine create two new project workspaces (that aren't being used yet). I want to get rid of the ones that are out there and have them republish using the new template. Normally, I go out and delete the project from the published database ONLY and check the option to delete its associated workspace/ sharepoint site. Is there a way to just delete the workspace without touching the project in either the draft or published databases so that it can be re-created with the new template? Thanks, Andy Novak UNT 1...

old email addresses replaced by new will not allow owa access
Hello all, We have changed our email format from first initial last@XXX.com with firstname.lastname@XXX.com I went to remove the old email address for my account. once I did that I was not able to access OWA. Any thoughts? Thank you in advance. How do you log on to OWA? -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Rollin West" <Rollin West@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BF891802-5928-4E91-9F64-1AC93EB6E45A@microsoft.com... > Hello all, > > We have changed our ema...

Possible to prvent installing fonts?
Why do Microsoft programs always try to outsmart the user? Oh, right. Microsoft hates users. Forgot. Anyway, is there a way to prevent Worst from installing fonts when I launch it? Oh, using Office 2004 on Tiger. On 9/18/05 10:23:42 AM, in article 1127064222.920879.61590@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "leftnotracks@gmail.com" <leftnotracks@gmail.com> wrote: > Anyway, is there a way to prevent Worst (sic) from installing fonts when I > launch it? Move or remove the "Do Fonts" file in the Office directory will, I believe, suppress the installation of fonts. ...

Service Pack 2 Installation Questions
I have a few questions about the SP2. - Is it now supported? - Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before the install? On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:41:02 -0800, "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a few questions about the SP2. > >- Is it now supported? Yes. > >- Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before >the install? Disable all 3rd party services and manually stop Exch Services if desires. the update will stop the exch services manually however. Backups before and after ...

New Tabs open Randomly
I am running XP Home (SP3) In the last few days I have had new tabs open randomly under my open tab. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to prevent it? Thank you. ...

Test and Production Install on same server
We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server. We would like to be able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and then when ready install our live database. MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the 2 databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on the same server. Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable? It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network simply to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM. How have others deal...

Outlook 2003 can't connect to Exchange 2003; Check Name Error!
I get the following error message when i try to setup outlook with an exchange server account; "The action could not be completed. The connection to the Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action." I have a Small Business Server 2003 setup on our local network with around 17 or more client computers. The Computers are either windows 2000 or XP running outlook 2000 / 2003. All computers have successfully connected to the exchange server except one. The problem computer is runnning windows xp pro with outlook 2003 installed ...

Outlook 2003 (Creating new email)
I have been creating new email for several months now using Outlook 2003. While I was creating some new rules for emails, I must have changed a setting. Now when I attempt to create a new email, it pulls up a template with wierd fonts, some of my typing doesn't show up on my screen as I am inputting, my signature I had created doesn't show up, and it has a different feel than the before? Any idea what I have done and what I should do to restore my previous settings? ...

new emails that are really a month old that reload every few minutes
Help. Every few minutes, I have to delete 28 "new" emails...this is a brand new problem that started yesterday. The same emails from October keep showing up as new very few minutes...I've had to delete hundreds of emails today. Why is this happening? Is there some reason you aren't deleting messages from the POP server after downloading them? Allison wrote: > Help. Every few minutes, I have to delete 28 "new" > emails...this is a brand new problem that started > yesterday. The same emails from October keep showing up > as new very few minutes....

Installation of Publisher 2002 on my new computer
I recently upgraded to a new computer. I would like to install Publisher on this new computer, but it rejects my product key. Can I uninstall Publisher from my old computer and then install it on the new computer and if so, how? Uninstall the program on the first computer, use the phone number on the activation page and explain... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Barnie" <Barnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FDB7BAD-0416-4049-858C-78AF0780F7F0@microsoft.com... >I recently upg...

Not all versions of fonts installed showing up in Publisher...
I want to use Trebuchet Italics--not the style tool on plain Trebuchet, but it doesn't show up as a choice in Publisher. I checked and the Italics version is installed on my computer. How do I get it to show up in Publisher? Thanks! Lori On the Font Schemes task pane, click Styles and Formatting, select what formatting you want to change and click the italic look. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lori" <lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03A14085-D0F9-4FDC-AB23-BAA1DCE983E3@micr...

Install this corrective patch that comes from M$ Corporation
--xrxjlvlaznbast Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="rlhrxhofqa"; type="multipart/alternative" --rlhrxhofqa Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nqisopmsjmfpqu" --nqisopmsjmfpqu Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now ...

Open new page
How can I make a link to open to a new page ? Create the link to the page and it will open it. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "mousey" <mousey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E40BF7DB-CD40-48B0-AE8E-0744D36CFDF5@microsoft.com... : How can I make a link to open to a new page ? I wonder does the OP mean new page as in the recent discussion as to whether a page overwrites the current page (target=_self) or opens in a new window (target=_blank) -- Trevor Lawrence Canberra Web Sit...

Copying WBS and Resource Names to New Project
I would like to copy just the WBS and Task Names from an existing project to a new project in Project 2003 Standard, nothing else. If I simply copy and paste the WBS and Task Names, I loose the connection between the WBS and Task Name such that all indentations in the Task list are lost, i.e. there is no longer any structure to the Task list such as summary and sub tasks. Paste special at least seems to maintain the WBS list, but the indenting in the Task list is still lost. How can this structure be preserved in the process of copying? Try inserting the Outline Level field a...

how do i save a new address typed on an envelop in word 2003
i want to save the address i type on an envelop under the envelop and labels under tools. Save it where? You could add the envelope to a document and save the document or You could use an envelope template - see the link at the end of http://www.gmayor.com/changing_envelope_layout.htm and create and save an envelope document including the address. or You could save the address in Outlook and insert the address from the addressbook function in the envelope/label dialog, which stores recent addresses. To do this Outlook must be your default e-mail application. -- <>...

New Essay: Thread Affinity Explorer
This was developed for my System Programming Course, where I used it to illustrate how thread affinities and the scheduler work. It is also a showcase for a number of cute implementation techniques. (For some reason I thought I'd put it up months ago...) joe Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP] email: newcomer@flounder.com Web: http://www.flounder.com MVP Tips: http://www.flounder.com/mvp_tips.htm You lost the essay's link, Joe! http://www.flounder.com/affinity.htm joe On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 20:44:00 +0800, "fiveight" <fiveight@tom.com> wrote: >You lost the essay'...

Outlook 2000 problem connecting to serer
I have the correct POP and SMTP servers in my settings but when I click on send/receive there is no activity that comes up in the pop up window. Therefore, it appears that there is no connection with the servers. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you. ...

Restore archive pst after moving to new computer
I want to use the archive feature, but am afraid that after I buy a new computer and move outlook to the new machine that I wont be able to properly migrate the archive data to the new machine also. Any advise on how to do this? Thanks. -- moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam moondaddy <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: > I want to use the archive feature, but am afraid that after I buy a > new computer and move outlook to the new machine that I wont be able > to properly migrate the archive data to the new machine also. Any > advise on how to do this? http://www.howto-ou...

Cant connect clients to exchange 2003
Hi people, Once again upgrading and ran into an issue. Installed windows 2003 along with windows 2003 exchange and everything installed fine on a new server. I can go to OWA and log in to an account with no problems. When I try to access exchange on the network using outlook 2003 the response is that the server is not there. With 2000 exchange we use to go to the exchange server by putting server name and user name click check name and all was good. Is there something we need to do to set up accounts to connect to the server. we are using the default admin account in a lab and can only see...

Restart heading numbering in each new section of a Word 2007 docum
I have produced a thesis of around 100,000 words in Word 2007 using docx format (because I want to use automated TOC and Indexing). My doucment is divided into sections (using section breaks), each comprising a chapter with a Title. I have been using the outline headings provided in Styles, using levels 1 through to 6. Presently the numbering runs on through the sections which results in huge numbers, as you would imagine. How do I make the heading numbers reset to 1 in each new section of the document? First of all, although there may be other good reasons for using Word 2007, ...