Need a Key Finder that actually works

Hi All,

I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
problem: it always gets them wrong.

Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
the key numbers correct?

Many thanks,
-T
0
ToddAndMargo

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:33:41 -0700, ToddAndMargo
<ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
>is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
>problem: it always gets them wrong.
>
>Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>the key numbers correct?
>
>Many thanks,
>-T

I'm not sure about any software for this, but in Win98 and Win2000 you
can see the key number in the registry.  I don't recall just how to
locate the number in the registry, but I know it's there.

I suspect this is the same in XP.   Maybe I'm wrong since I know
little about XP ?????

0
mister_friendly
4/3/2010 7:50:21 AM
On Apr 3, 12:33=A0am, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMa...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. =A0It
> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). =A0Only one
> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>
> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
> the key numbers correct?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Where can I download and try this program called Key Finder that is
supposed to translate license numbers back to key numbers and why do
you think it is wrong.
0
Jose
4/3/2010 12:48:53 PM
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 05:48:53 -0700 (PDT), Jose <jose_ease@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Apr 3, 12:33�am, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMa...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. �It
>> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). �Only one
>> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>
>> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>> the key numbers correct?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
>Where can I download and try this program called Key Finder that is
>supposed to translate license numbers back to key numbers and why do
>you think it is wrong.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/productkeysactivation/gr/winkeyfinder.htm
?
0
Jim
4/3/2010 1:28:23 PM
wrote:

>On Apr 3, 12:33�am, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMa...@invalid.com> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. �It
>> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). �Only one
>> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>
>> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>> the key numbers correct?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
>Where can I download and try this program called Key Finder that is
>supposed to translate license numbers back to key numbers and why do
>you think it is wrong.

Addendum : wrong one ( doesn`t translate )
0
Jim
4/3/2010 1:30:07 PM
ToddAndMargo wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
> problem: it always gets them wrong.

	Are you sure that it's really getting the Product Key wrong in every
case?  For instance, if you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is that of
the drive image used at the factory and not your specific license's
Product Key.

Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
4/3/2010 3:31:31 PM
No.

--
Peter

"ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>
> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
> the key numbers correct?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

0
Peter
4/3/2010 5:25:01 PM
On 04/03/2010 05:48 AM, Jose wrote:
> On Apr 3, 12:33 am, ToddAndMargo<ToddAndMa...@invalid.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
>> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
>> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>
>> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>> the key numbers correct?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>
> Where can I download and try this program called Key Finder that is
> supposed to translate license numbers back to key numbers and why do
> you think it is wrong.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

I think they are wrong because I read the sticker
on the computers (XP key number) and Key Finder
gives me the wrong number.

-T
0
ToddAndMargo
4/3/2010 6:46:07 PM
On 04/03/2010 08:31 AM, Bruce Chambers wrote:
> ToddAndMargo wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. It
>> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). Only one
>> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>

> Are you sure that it's really getting the Product Key wrong in every
> case? For instance, if you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
> haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is that of
> the drive image used at the factory and not your specific license's
> Product Key.

You know what, I have only tried it on oem computers.
Key Finder may be innocent.

>> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>> the key numbers correct?
>>

> Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

0
ToddAndMargo
4/3/2010 6:47:49 PM
On 04/03/2010 11:47 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 04/03/2010 08:31 AM, Bruce Chambers wrote:
>> ToddAndMargo wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder. It
>>> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>>> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...). Only one
>>> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>>

>> Are you sure that it's really getting the Product Key wrong in every
>> case? For instance, if you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
>> haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is that of
>> the drive image used at the factory and not your specific license's
>> Product Key.
>
> You know what, I have only tried it on oem computers.
> Key Finder may be innocent.

Hi Bruce,

    You called it.  I just tried Key Finder on a Virtual
Machine that I personally installed from disk.  Key Finder
got it right.  Verdict: Key Finder is innocent.

Thank you!

-T

>>> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>>> the key numbers correct?
>>>

>> Belarc Advisor from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>>
>> Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder from http://www.magicaljellybean.com/

0
ToddAndMargo
4/3/2010 6:54:50 PM

On 04/03/2010 10:25 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
 > No.
 >
 > --
 > Peter

Please endeavor to bottom or inline post.  Top
posting ruins the flow of the conversation.  And
you get lazy and don't prune unnecessary verbage.
Please bottom post for the benefit others.

Key finder does work.  I was reading OEM keys
that were never updated to sticker on the
computer.  My Bad.  :'[

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Thank you for your response.

-T
0
ToddAndMargo
4/3/2010 6:59:52 PM
ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 04/03/2010 11:47 AM, ToddAndMargo wrote:

>>> Are you sure that it's really getting the Product Key wrong in every
>>> case? For instance, if you have a factory-installed OEM license, and
>>> haven't since reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is that of
>>> the drive image used at the factory and not your specific license's
>>> Product Key.
>>
>> You know what, I have only tried it on oem computers.
>> Key Finder may be innocent.
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
>    You called it.  I just tried Key Finder on a Virtual
> Machine that I personally installed from disk.  Key Finder
> got it right.  Verdict: Key Finder is innocent.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -T

	You're welcome.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
0
Bruce
4/3/2010 7:01:53 PM
But your original question was for something different. Make up my mind.In that case
use Belarc Advisor.

Top posting or bottom posting is a matter of preference and I do prefer top posting.
--
Peter

> Key finder does work.  I was reading OEM keys
> that were never updated to sticker on the
> computer.  My Bad.  :'[
>
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> -T

0
Peter
4/3/2010 8:03:52 PM
ToddAndMargo wrote:
> On 04/03/2010 05:48 AM, Jose wrote:
>> On Apr 3, 12:33 am, ToddAndMargo<ToddAndMa...@invalid.com>  wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
>>> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>>> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
>>> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>>
>>> Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>>> the key numbers correct?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T
>>
>> Where can I download and try this program called Key Finder that is
>> supposed to translate license numbers back to key numbers and why do
>> you think it is wrong.
>
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
>
> I think they are wrong because I read the sticker
> on the computers (XP key number) and Key Finder
> gives me the wrong number.
>
> -T

The OEM sticker is usually different because the manufacturer uses a
special number for mass installs.  Your sticker number is the one you
would use with a repair or reinstall.

--
Joe   =o)
0
> Top posting or bottom posting is a matter of preference and I do prefer
> top posting.

You are correct.  Top or bottom  posting is a
"matter of preference".  By ruining the flow of
the conversation and not pruning out verbiage
that does not apply to your response, you are also
being inconsiderate of other people trying to read
your response.  Being inconsiderate is also a
"matter of preference".

Since you are trying to get others to be considerate of
you and others with your signature block -- "Please Reply to
Newsgroup for the benefit of others" -- you should
practice being considerate of others too with your replies.

My 2 Cents,
-T
0
ToddAndMargo
4/4/2010 5:41:00 AM
mister_friendly@the-newzgroups.com �crivait

> On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 21:33:41 -0700, ToddAndMargo
> <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
>>is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
>>back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
>>problem: it always gets them wrong.
>>
>>Any one know of a utility like this, only that gets
>>the key numbers correct?
>>
>>Many thanks,
>>-T
>

> I'm not sure about any software for this, but in Win98 and Win2000 you
> can see the key number in the registry.  I don't recall just how to
> locate the number in the registry, but I know it's there.
>
> I suspect this is the same in XP.   Maybe I'm wrong since I know
> little about XP ?????

In Win95, Win98 and Millenium (not to be confused with 2000) you can see it
directly in the registry.

In Win2000 or later, you need some kind of utility; I really like Belarc
Advisor, it shows a lot of informations.
0
Doum
4/4/2010 4:33:11 PM
I prefer top posting, and will continue to do so, bite me!

"ToddAndMargo" wrote:

> > "ToddAndMargo" <ToddAndMargo@invalid.com> wrote in message
> >> I have been testing a utility called Key Finder.  It
> >> is suppose to translate license numbers ( 1234-oem-567 ...)
> >> back to key numbers (YHK6S-I2889-...).  Only one
> >> problem: it always gets them wrong.
>
> On 04/03/2010 10:25 AM, Peter Foldes wrote:
>  > No.
>  >
>  > --
>  > Peter
>  >
>  > Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>
> Please endeavor to bottom or inline post.  Top
> posting ruins the flow of the conversation.  And
> you get lazy and don't prune unnecessary verbage.
> Please bottom post for the benefit others.
>
> Key finder does work.  I was reading OEM keys
> that were never updated to sticker on the
> computer.  My Bad.  :'[
>
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> -T
> .

Need a busy macro
I have data in Col A & B,\. The data starts at line one and CURRENTLY goes to line 214..but that will increase over time. In order to better display this data I would like a micro that would display all the data in 5 blocks accros the screen. So The first FIFTH of Cao A & B would remain where it is The second FIFTH would be copied to COL D & E(leaving a col for seperation) the third fifth would be copied to col G & H and the same until all the data was listed in 5 BLOCKS(A & B D & E G & H J & K M & N) Any assistance would be appreciated Thanks Thi...

Help needed for Wxcel in an network
My situation: 2 W2K and 1 ME, in one network, the same office 2000 running on all three machines, the office db is on the ME machine My problem: When opening an xls , over the network, on one of the W2k , but always the same PC, on the screen it shows one single cell , idle, covering the whole screen and an Excel Status :not running. All other network function are ok, except this-one. I burned the xls, brought them to stans-alone machines: no Problem, I really need Help, can somebody give it to me Many thanks in advance ...

owa timeout settings not working with OWA HELP
I configured the settings for the OWA timeout "trusted client and plublic client timeout" the settings work on IE but not firefox. when i use firefox the setting is still timing out at 15 minutes. please help thx monica ...

Ctrl+Shift+M does not work in Contact Notes section
Ctrl+Shift+M will work when I first open a Contact, but as soon as I click in the Notes box, it doesn't work anymore. Is there a different keyboard shortcut I can use to open a completely blank email message? You'll need to click on another field in the contact or off the contact for it to work. I'm not sure why it's not working in the notes field, unless its something to do with the underlying word editor. (It doesn't work in either 2007 or 2010 in the notes field of any form.) you can also click the email button to open a new message - delete the address...

How does text overflow work on added pages?
I reduced the size of the text boxes on 30 existing pages and added 10 additional pages to hold the remainder of the text. How do I get the text to overflow to these added pages? Link them Click on the box with the text, then on the icon that looks like a chain, it will turn into a puring pitcher. Click on the next text box you want to use. Keep going. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "lericks5" <lericks5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23349D52-F7B5-4A9D-A0D...

Need to block emails based on content
Following the latest virus/worm, my Exchange server is overrun with CIA/FBI/"I've a new email address" type of emails. I already have IMF installed but this tool is not maintained and updated well. I am looking for a good solution to block emails based on their content and send them to the Junk folders. Something that would work hand in hand with IMF or in concurrence with IMF would be nice. Thanks a bunch! In news:43947528$0$3765$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net, Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam> typed: > Following the latest ...

shift key held down too long

MS Project has stopped working and needs to close
Hi - One of our users is using MS project (Sp2 + Oct CU) When he launches MS Project and connects to his instabce MS Project crashes with the error "MS Project has stopped working and needs to close". If I try the same connect on the users machine, I have no issue. The user has the Project Mgr role and no others in the role have this issue. Can anyone explain? Tks, Shane Shane: This generally indicates an issue in the user's profile on the client machine. You can try deleting cookies and the browser cache. If that doesn't work, it might be easiest to...

Password Protection doesn't work
There is a shared Excel 2003 workbook on the network that was set with a password and when it is opened, it doesn't ask for the passowrd. Any ideas? Check the title bar after it's opened. Does it say ReadOnly? If the person who's opening the workbook doesn't have write access to that drive/folder, then excel will not even bother asking. It knows that they don't have a choice to update--so why ask? Roberta wrote: > > There is a shared Excel 2003 workbook on the network that was set with a > password and when it is opened, it doesn't ask for the passowrd....

Needing tech help, even paying for it, but not getting it
Yesterday, as I have on many occasions, I returned home after a two day trip and booted my computer to download my email and catch up on some work. As it has in the past, my Outlook program (Office Edition 2003)had difficulty downloading about 139 messages. I even tried turning off my Panda anti-virus to see if this would help. The email simply downloaded over and over again so that I would wind up with 15 or 20 copies of several messages while others were blocked -- with or without the anti-virus program on. I called Microsoft and paid $35 for tech help (Case SRX040428604010) but a ...

IsNull Not Working For Date
Hello, I have a query established to provide data that populates a report. For those fields that the user did not enter in any information, I want the report to show the text "Not Entered." I have successfully created the correct code in the query to handle all information except my birthday field, which is in date format. Here is the query code: Birthday: IIf(IsNull([EeBirthday]),"Not Entered",[EeBirthday]) EeBirthday is the field is should pull if it is not null. When I select datasheet view from the design view, nothing happens. No errors, highlights, nada. Whe...

Out-of-office assistant in Outlook2000 not working
Hi there, Any solution for this ? Out-of-office assistant in Outlook2000 not working, it can't send-out out-of-office email to sender automatically. Thanks in advance Regards/ibfan Is your Outlook configured for Internet Mail Only (IMO) or Corporate and Workgroup (CW). Help, about will tell you. The assistant only works if CW support is enabled, and only gives full function if using MS Exchange. "ibfan" <ibfan@oue.com.sg> wrote in message news:084b01c39487$07f5a220$a401280a@phx.gbl... Hi there, Any solution for this ? Out-of-office assistant in Outlook2000 not worki...

Is IIS needed on DPM2010 server?
In the DPM2007 documentation it says IIS is needed. However the documentation wasn't updated for DPM2010 beta or RC. And I was able to install both without being told that I needed to IIS and the installs didn't it. So therefore is the requirement for IIS gone? If not what is it needed for? Nope SQL Server 2008 is installed with DPM. SSRS no longer requires IIS to function, FINALLY! "Sam" wrote: > In the DPM2007 documentation it says IIS is needed. However the documentation > wasn't updated for DPM2010 beta or RC. And I was able to install both w...

Saving Work in Excel
In the past, whenever I save a spreadsheet in Excel, it comes up in My Documents. It stopped doing that and I don't know why. Now, it's coming up in History. Anyone know why it would change and how I get it back into My Documents and have it stop saving things in History. Al Hi goto 'Tools - options - General' and change the default location for saving documents -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "mhr" <mimh@highstream.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:10acn367qjqs54c@corp.supernews.com... > In the past, whenever I save a spreadsheet in Excel, i...

Outlook will not work with XP
I purchased a new PC for my wife -- and HP a200N with a 2.4 GHz Celeron and Windows XP home edition. Great machine. I installed Office 2000 -- and all applications work just fine -- Word, Excel, etc. except OUTLOOK does not -- I use Outlook to synch our Palm Pilots, address books, etc.. I use Outlook Express for email -- which shares the phone book with Outlook and has been great on my ME machine. When I try to start Outlook it starts and gives me the "window" with Outlook 2000 but then I get a "pop-up" which states: "Personal Folder" -- The information s...

Need single column/row of numbers to print down then across pages in order
I have a very long list of phone numbers that occupies a1,a2, so on. approx. 45,000 records. I need to be able to print hard copies of these numbers so that it stays in order from page to page but is not just one column. (as to cut the # of pages from 300 to 50 or lesss) In other words, start in the top left corner of page through to bottom, next row, and so on. I thought there would be a way to set this up in printing options but to this point haven't figured it out. I have the same list (1 row again) also in Access if it would be easier. Would VERY much appreciate any clu...

Filter Recipients who are not in the Directory not working?
Folks: I'm having some issues with Backscatter. I'm looking to turning on "Filter Recipients who are not in the Directory" I've followed all the instructions: Global Settings->Message Delivery->Recipient Filtering->"Filter Recipients who are not in the Directory" ON Server->Protocols->SMTP->Default SMTP->General->Advanced->(IP address)->Apply Recipient Filter ON (Actually, ALL of the filters are checked). If I have a specific email address listed in the Recipient Filtering, my SMTP server does generate a: 550 5.7.1 Req...

Calculating no of work days between two dates
Please advise how to calculate the number of work days (excludin weekeends and holidays) between two date -- fluffywhitedo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fluffywhitedoh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3528 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55075 =NETWORKDAYS(start_date,end_date,holidays) holidays is a range of holiday dates. You will need to have the Analysis Toolpak installed, Tools>Addins, and cheek it. -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address ...

I need a rule to MOVE messages instead of COPYING them; can anybody help?
Hi all, I get a lot of mail, and keep them organized by name of the contactperson. For example: mail I either send to or receive from Pete, has to be moved to the Outlook-folder "Pete", after the mail has been read by me (in case of a receipt from a message from Pete) or after it has been sent (in case of mail I sent to Pete). Outlook rules do not allow for this; you can only copy messages (which means you have duplicate messages in Outlook). Maybe a macro could do the trick, but you need to write macro's and I am not a technical guy:-(. Would anybody know a solution, or would a...

Email fowarding not working right
Hello All, I am trying to setup an email alias to forward email to a @hotmail account from my SBS Exchange. First I setup the contact and pointed it to test@hotmail.com. Then I went into the account I wanted to forward test@mydomain.com and added the test@hotmail.com to the account. I think it is setup right. If I send and email to test@mydomain.com from inside my network the email forward I setup sends the email to test@hotmail.com just fine. However if I try to send an email from outside my domain to test@mydomain.com I get back an postmaster message about unable to relay. Under my re...

How do I import data from a table into a working payables batch?
I trying to create a table to import credit card transactions from our corporate card into a working payables batch so it can be posted to payables module as a normal batch? Any help on how and were to start would be greatly appreciated. Pete Can you get the credit card data as a CSV or Excel file? You could use Integration Manager to import the file. "Pete Kaufman" <Pete Kaufman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:87FF509E-3A65-4C08-81C9-5058442C2344@microsoft.com... >I trying to create a table to import credit card transactions from our > corporate...

Working With Two Computers & Outlook
I am planning to have a desktop computer at home, and carry a laptop with me while I work. Is there an easy way to bring the laptop home at night and sync it to the desktop and vice versa. I presently have Outlook 2000 but am thinking about purchasing the Outlook 2003 upgrade. Sky <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am planning to have a desktop computer at home, and > carry a laptop with me while I work. Is there an easy way > to bring the laptop home at night and sync it to the > desktop and vice versa. I presently have Outlook 2000 but > am think...

What is the issue with working with an Access DB in an on-line/off-line environment
Hi All I use an Access DB for my VB front-end and 95% of my users are laptops/desktops linking to a Domain/Win server/Active Directory setup. I currently have the Access DB and VB app located in the program folder of a PC, but as many users may use the same laptop/desktop as they login to their own specific user account I'm looking to move the access db to the user's My Docs folder (re-directed from the server with off-line access enabled on the laptops and disabled on the desktops) so that each user can run up the program, but actually connect to their data file (access db) v...

I need a template for writing personal checks
I have a form set up in MS Publisher but I have to revise it everytime I want to write a check, I would like to have a template that would allow me write checks that match my personal checks. Regular size checks? There is a .wmf here, http://msauer.mvps.org/graphics.htm -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Gee Gee Wood" <Gee Gee Wood@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B060B1D-E7D7-4DA4-9D4D-7B532A19BEBF@microsoft.com... >I have a form set up in MS Publisher but I have to revise it ever...