Msoft 'onecarescan' finds 2 high 1 medium .. but NO fix

Ive run the  Microsoft One Care  Scan . its  reporting 3  issues it
'cannot'  fix

Browser modifier   win32/BaiduSobar

trojanDownloader Win32/QQHelper.KA

these 2 are  showing a  path to  a  received file
ha_winvideocapture_jy.exe

(which I can see in the rx file file  list )

Program  Win32/ PigSerch is also  found

As  far as I know  , the exe file  has not  been  run (by
me) ..looking  on the  web seems there  is no  simple  way to  remove
these from the  pc ?

AVG  dose  not  report the  file or the  pigserch ...

Q  whats the  best  path  to  take .. I have  deleted the  file  and
emptyed  the  rec/bin .. but  is that enough , and what to  do about
the  pigserch  ?

tnx - G ..

0
Graham

On Jan 17, 8:04=A0pm, Graham <g0...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ive run the =A0Microsoft One Care =A0Scan . its =A0reporting 3 =A0issues =
it
> 'cannot' =A0fix
>
> Browser modifier =A0 win32/BaiduSobar
>
> trojanDownloader Win32/QQHelper.KA
>
> these 2 are =A0showing a =A0path to =A0a =A0received file
> ha_winvideocapture_jy.exe
>
> (which I can see in the rx file file =A0list )
>
> Program =A0Win32/ PigSerch is also =A0found
>
> As =A0far as I know =A0, the exe file =A0has not =A0been =A0run (by
> me) ..looking =A0on the =A0web seems there =A0is no =A0simple =A0way to =
=A0remove
> these from the =A0pc ?
>
> AVG =A0dose =A0not =A0report the =A0file or the =A0pigserch ...
>
> Q =A0whats the =A0best =A0path =A0to =A0take .. I have =A0deleted the =A0=
file =A0and
> emptyed =A0the =A0rec/bin .. but =A0is that enough , and what to =A0do ab=
out
> the =A0pigserch =A0?
>
> tnx - G ..

Is this tool  ok ?

http://www.securitystronghold.com/gates/pigsearch.html#Technical
0
Graham
1/17/2010 8:22:04 PM
http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2005-101816-5730-99&tabid=3

many other google hits
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

"Graham" <g0nbd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ive run the  Microsoft One Care  Scan . its  reporting 3  issues it
> 'cannot'  fix
>
> Browser modifier   win32/BaiduSobar
>
> trojanDownloader Win32/QQHelper.KA
>
> these 2 are  showing a  path to  a  received file
> ha_winvideocapture_jy.exe
>
> (which I can see in the rx file file  list )
>
> Program  Win32/ PigSerch is also  found
>
> As  far as I know  , the exe file  has not  been  run (by
> me) ..looking  on the  web seems there  is no  simple  way to  remove
> these from the  pc ?
>
> AVG  dose  not  report the  file or the  pigserch ...
>
> Q  whats the  best  path  to  take .. I have  deleted the  file  and
> emptyed  the  rec/bin .. but  is that enough , and what to  do about
> the  pigserch  ?
>
> tnx - G ..

0
DL
1/17/2010 8:25:48 PM
Graham <g0nbd@hotmail.com> wrote in
oups.com:

<SNIP>

> Q  whats the  best  path  to  take .. I have  deleted the
> file  and emptyed  the  rec/bin .. but  is that enough ,
> and what to  do about the  pigserch  ?

The best path to take is to delete ALL MS "security" software
(this MAY mean having to reinstall the entire OS, no personal
experience, see below) and get a decent AV and a few good anti-
malware programs.

False positives are rampant these days and while I have never
(and will never) use ANY MS software except for the OS (I have
learned computing on MS OS's starting in the early 1990's and I
am not about to start from scratch - although I am intrigued by
recent Linux developments), I wouldn't be surprised if MS led
the pack - ignoring its own spyware, of course.

--
There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
and those that will break later.
On Jan 17, 8:35=A0pm, thanatoid <wait...@the.exit.invalid> wrote:
> Graham <g0...@hotmail.com> wrote innews:af9dc8ac-4a59-49a4-92dd-06cd281d8=
5c2@u41g2000yqe.googlegr
> oups.com:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > Q =A0whats the =A0best =A0path =A0to =A0take .. I have =A0deleted the
> > file =A0and emptyed =A0the =A0rec/bin .. but =A0is that enough ,
> > and what to =A0do about the =A0pigserch =A0?
>
> The best path to take is to delete ALL MS "security" software
> (this MAY mean having to reinstall the entire OS, no personal
> experience, see below) and get a decent AV and a few good anti-
> malware programs.
>
> False positives are rampant these days and while I have never
> (and will never) use ANY MS software except for the OS (I have
> learned computing on MS OS's starting in the early 1990's and I
> am not about to start from scratch - although I am intrigued by
> recent Linux developments), I wouldn't be surprised if MS led
> the pack - ignoring its own spyware, of course.
>
> --
> There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
> and those that will break later.
> =A0- Chuck Armstrong (This one I think,http://www.cleanreg.com/,
> not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
> the quote. But it's true.)

Ok ...   but the  exe  file  was in the  rec'd  list .. and i cannot
see  any odd  software  in the  add/remove
software  listing ...... can only  assume the  pig  removal too  is
a  valid  item .. and not a  spoof  link as well ?

G ..
0
Graham
1/17/2010 8:42:00 PM
You dont need any tool to remove the infection, I allready posted a link to
manual removal, and to a malaware scanning app

On Jan 17, 8:35 pm, thanatoid <wait...@the.exit.invalid> wrote:
> Graham <g0...@hotmail.com> wrote
> innews:af9dc8ac-4a59-49a4-92dd-06cd281d85c2@u41g2000yqe.googlegr
> oups.com:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> > Q whats the best path to take .. I have deleted the
> > file and emptyed the rec/bin .. but is that enough ,
> > and what to do about the pigserch ?
>
> The best path to take is to delete ALL MS "security" software
> (this MAY mean having to reinstall the entire OS, no personal
> experience, see below) and get a decent AV and a few good anti-
> malware programs.
>
> False positives are rampant these days and while I have never
> (and will never) use ANY MS software except for the OS (I have
> learned computing on MS OS's starting in the early 1990's and I
> am not about to start from scratch - although I am intrigued by
> recent Linux developments), I wouldn't be surprised if MS led
> the pack - ignoring its own spyware, of course.
>
> --
> There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
> and those that will break later.
> - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think,http://www.cleanreg.com/,
> not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
> the quote. But it's true.)

Ok ...   but the  exe  file  was in the  rec'd  list .. and i cannot
see  any odd  software  in the  add/remove
software  listing ...... can only  assume the  pig  removal too  is
a  valid  item .. and not a  spoof  link as well ?

G ..

0
DL
Windows.  A Repair Install will NOT help!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via...

Consumer Security Support home page

Otherwise...

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan!  You may need to download the

2. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
.. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
.. http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
.. http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
.. http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Graham wrote:
> Ive run the  Microsoft One Care  Scan . its  reporting 3  issues it
> 'cannot'  fix
>
> Browser modifier   win32/BaiduSobar
>
> trojanDownloader Win32/QQHelper.KA
>
> these 2 are  showing a  path to  a  received file
> ha_winvideocapture_jy.exe
>
> (which I can see in the rx file file  list )
>
> Program  Win32/ PigSerch is also  found
>
> As  far as I know  , the exe file  has not  been  run (by
> me) ..looking  on the  web seems there  is no  simple  way to  remove
> these from the  pc ?
>
> AVG  dose  not  report the  file or the  pigserch ...
>
> Q  whats the  best  path  to  take .. I have  deleted the  file  and
> emptyed  the  rec/bin .. but  is that enough , and what to  do about
> the  pigserch  ?
>
> tnx - G ..

0
PA
1/18/2010 1:03:23 AM
In news:Xns9D0394B08B859thanexit@188.40.43.245,
thanatoid <waiting@the.exit.invalid> typed:
> Graham <g0nbd@hotmail.com> wrote in
> oups.com:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Q  whats the  best  path  to  take .. I have  deleted the
>> file  and emptyed  the  rec/bin .. but  is that enough ,
>> and what to  do about the  pigserch  ?
>
> The best path to take is to delete ALL MS "security" software
> (this MAY mean having to reinstall the entire OS, no personal
> experience, see below) and get a decent AV and a few good anti-
> malware programs.

Do not give advice on things where you have "no personal experience" because
it'll always be wrong, as you are here. Having to reinstall is ludicrous.
   "decent AV and a few good anti-malware programs" is almost meaningless.
If  you want to use poor terminology, then give some examples of what you
mean. You meant Anti-virus and Spyware detectors, and that would have at
least allowed nearly anyone reading this to Google for more information.
While I admit MS is really bad at AV and malware detection, it's better to
be clear and concise whenever possible.

> False positives are rampant these days and while I have never

Actually, that's something I've never heard alleged.  If one is encountering
many false positives then they need to either think about the apps they're
using and possibly tightening up their surfing methodologies. IME it's
unusual to get many false positives if any at all.  I would expect such a
situation to be demographically or geographically centered.

HTH,

Twayne

> (and will never) use ANY MS software except for the OS (I have
> learned computing on MS OS's starting in the early 1990's and I
> am not about to start from scratch - although I am intrigued by
> recent Linux developments), I wouldn't be surprised if MS led
> the pack - ignoring its own spyware, of course.

0
Twayne
1/18/2010 3:31:20 AM
In news:1ce3dee8-9de1-41f0-810d-efacaa0bdf0e@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com,
Graham <g0nbd@hotmail.com> typed:
> On Jan 17, 8:35 pm, thanatoid <wait...@the.exit.invalid> wrote:
>> Graham <g0...@hotmail.com> wrote
>> innews:af9dc8ac-4a59-49a4-92dd-06cd281d85c2@u41g2000yqe.googlegr
>> oups.com:
>>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>>> Q whats the best path to take .. I have deleted the
>>> file and emptyed the rec/bin .. but is that enough ,
>>> and what to do about the pigserch ?
>>
>> The best path to take is to delete ALL MS "security" software
>> (this MAY mean having to reinstall the entire OS, no personal
>> experience, see below) and get a decent AV and a few good anti-
>> malware programs.
>>
>> False positives are rampant these days and while I have never
>> (and will never) use ANY MS software except for the OS (I have
>> learned computing on MS OS's starting in the early 1990's and I
>> am not about to start from scratch - although I am intrigued by
>> recent Linux developments), I wouldn't be surprised if MS led
>> the pack - ignoring its own spyware, of course.
>>
>> --
>> There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
>> and those that will break later.
>> - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think,http://www.cleanreg.com/,
>> not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
>> the quote. But it's true.)
>
> Ok ...   but the  exe  file  was in the  rec'd  list .. and i cannot
> see  any odd  software  in the  add/remove
> software  listing ...... can only  assume the  pig  removal too  is
> a  valid  item .. and not a  spoof  link as well ?
>
> G ..

The best way to tell, if it's really important to you, is to look for the
"virus" and see what it involves at some reliable source that keeps track of
such data.  Usually I start at Norton.com for that kind of thing. If nothing
there, then Google always turns something up. So far anyway.

HTH,

Twayne

0
Twayne
1/18/2010 3:33:23 AM
Graham <g0nbd@hotmail.com> wrote in
oups.com:

<SNIP>

> Ok ...   but the  exe  file  was in the  rec'd  list .. and
> i cannot see  any odd  software  in the  add/remove
> software  listing ...... can only  assume the  pig  removal
> too  is a  valid  item .. and not a  spoof  link as well ?

The summary of my post is: "onecare" will certainly do SOMEthing
for your security etc. But it is not to be trusted, as are none
of MS "security" apps.

This is why I am not going to bother entering the guessing game
of the details of what MS software has told you. You can Google
for that malware. There are hundreds of sites that deal with
that - some are trustworthy, some just try to scare you into
buying their crap.

If you don't want to reformat and reinstall - which would also
get rid of whatever problems you may or may not be having -
install Spybot Search and Destroy and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
and see what they say. Both free, as all software should be, for
home use anyway.

--
There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
and those that will break later.
 - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think, http://www.cleanreg.com/,
not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
the quote. But it's true.)
0
thanatoid
1/18/2010 5:06:11 AM
"Twayne" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in

<SNIP>

> HTH,

It didn't.

--
There are only two classifications of disk drives: Broken drives
and those that will break later.
 - Chuck Armstrong (This one I think, http://www.cleanreg.com/,
not the ball player. But who knows. I can't remember where I got
the quote. But it's true.)
0
thanatoid
1/18/2010 5:07:19 AM
On Jan 17, 3:04=A0pm, Graham <g0...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Ive run the =A0Microsoft One Care =A0Scan . its =A0reporting 3 =A0issues =
it
> 'cannot' =A0fix
>
> Browser modifier =A0 win32/BaiduSobar
>
> trojanDownloader Win32/QQHelper.KA
>
> these 2 are =A0showing a =A0path to =A0a =A0received file
> ha_winvideocapture_jy.exe
>
> (which I can see in the rx file file =A0list )
>
> Program =A0Win32/ PigSerch is also =A0found
>
> As =A0far as I know =A0, the exe file =A0has not =A0been =A0run (by
> me) ..looking =A0on the =A0web seems there =A0is no =A0simple =A0way to =
=A0remove
> these from the =A0pc ?
>
> AVG =A0dose =A0not =A0report the =A0file or the =A0pigserch ...
>
> Q =A0whats the =A0best =A0path =A0to =A0take .. I have =A0deleted the =A0=
file =A0and
> emptyed =A0the =A0rec/bin .. but =A0is that enough , and what to =A0do ab=
out
> the =A0pigserch =A0?
>
> tnx - G ..

MS is not in the malicious software detection and removal business.

Here are some folks that are:

Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
detection programs, then troubleshoot any remaining issues:

Malwarebytes (MBAM):  http://malwarebytes.org/
SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS):  http://www.superantispyware.com/

They can be uninstalled later if desired.

0
Jose
1/18/2010 1:02:23 PM
On Jan 18, 1:02=A0pm, Jose <jose_e...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 3:04=A0pm, Graham <g0...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Ive run the =A0Microsoft One Care =A0Scan . its =A0reporting 3 =A0issue=
s it
> > 'cannot' =A0fix
>
> > Browser modifier =A0 win32/BaiduSobar
>
> > trojanDownloader Win32/QQHelper.KA
>
> > these 2 are =A0showing a =A0path to =A0a =A0received file
> > ha_winvideocapture_jy.exe
>
> > (which I can see in the rx file file =A0list )
>
> > Program =A0Win32/ PigSerch is also =A0found
>
> > As =A0far as I know =A0, the exe file =A0has not =A0been =A0run (by
> > me) ..looking =A0on the =A0web seems there =A0is no =A0simple =A0way to=
 =A0remove
> > these from the =A0pc ?
>
> > AVG =A0dose =A0not =A0report the =A0file or the =A0pigserch ...
>
> > Q =A0whats the =A0best =A0path =A0to =A0take .. I have =A0deleted the =
=A0file =A0and
> > emptyed =A0the =A0rec/bin .. but =A0is that enough , and what to =A0do =
about
> > the =A0pigserch =A0?
>
> > tnx - G ..
>
> MS is not in the malicious software detection and removal business.
>
> Here are some folks that are:
>
> Download, install, update and do a full scan with these free malware
> detection programs, then troubleshoot any remaining issues:
>
> Malwarebytes (MBAM): =A0http://malwarebytes.org/
> SUPERAntiSpyware: (SAS): =A0http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> They can be uninstalled later if desired.- Hide quoted text -

OK Thanks  for the  advice and the  links  ...pc looks to  be  running
a  lot  faster  now

I ran the trend  micro  dos removal tool  yesterday  , that  reported
a  odd  three letter  name , to day I ran the  super anti
tool  that  found  3 infectios  which it  removed , the  'what is
running  on you pc'  is not  showing any unsafe apps or dlls ..
it  did  show  'kontiki'  which may of been  installed by the  bbc
iplayer . i have  removed this .. assume that is a good
idea  ..looking at the  web  comments on it ..

I will  re  run the microsoft  onecare  scan , and see if it  detects
anything ..

Avg  did  not  show  up any of the  problems which I find odd  ,
unless the  free  vesrion is limited ? the  system is fully
up to  date running  sp3 and ie8

Tnx - G ..

Graham

Here is fix for Windows file problems

VB Macro #2

VCR to DVD Part 2

set print area #2

OEM publisher 2002 Sp1-2

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

High Memory Usage after IS Maintenance Runs
I have an Exchange 5.5 server whose priv.edb file is about 2GBs. During normal usage the store.exe file is use about 70MBs of RAM. When the IS Maintenance runs at night the RAM usage shoots to 800MBS and does not come down after IS Maintenance is done. I have to restart the Information Store service to restore proper system operation. How do I fix this issue? Why do you think that proper operation is less than 800MB of RAM? By default, Exchange should take all of the system memory available and not 70MB (note that it should give it back when asked). That's normal behavior vs. w...

Money Updates #2

Can't create the item #2

Find tab in worksheet
I have a workbook with many tabs & many users and would like to create a 'Go to / find' function that finds a particular tab when opening workbook, so that user will enter tab in text box and will then go directly to tab Try any one of these macros.. You can try out the below macro. If you are new to macros.. --Set the Security level to low/medium in (Tools|Macro|Security). --From workbook launch VBE using short-key Alt+F11. --From menu 'Insert' a module and paste the below code. --Get back to Workbook. --Run macro from Tools|Macro|Run <selected mac...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?DivX=AE_5.component_causes_crashes_of_Excel_an?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?d_PowerPoint_during_launch_of_Project_Gallery?=
If you are experiencing crashing on startup of Excel X and PowerPoint X just prior to the display of the Project Gallery, the fault may lay with a QuickTime library component installed by DivX. When removed, the Project Gallery appears just fine. The Project Gallery also apears to launch properly in Word X. Either remove the file or set your Excel and PowerPoint preferences to not display the Project Gallery at startup. The file can be found at Macintosh HD --> LIbrary --> QuickTime --> DivX� 5.component. This was also a problem with an earlier version of a Toast beta component for Qu...

IMAP address on exchange sever #2

help #2

Application icon #2
Hello, all, Have a strange problem. I recently used the tool ResOrg to renumber the resource IDs in a project where there were hundreds of duplicates. This fixed a list of bugs, which is why I did it. The other programmers found three problems after this. One was trivial to fix, a second was actually a problem in the code that renumbering the resouce IDs uncovered and was also easily fixed. The third one is weird though. Renumbering the resources messed up the application icon. I verified this by recompiling with the old resource.h file and the icon is correct. In the renumbere...

Outlook 2003
I get an error every time I open Outlook 2003 that says: "The add-in "C:\WINDOWS\System32\AdMailOK.1" could not be installed or loaded. This problem may be resolved by using Detect and Repair on the Help menu." I've tried "Detect and Repair" and it didn't kill the error from appearing every time I load Outlook. Any ideas? I searched Google and came up empty on this. Thanks! Have you tried reinstalling the program? ----- Thundersmash wrote: ---- I get an error every time I open Outlook 2003 that says "The add-in ...

Find Highest Score In List Formula
Hello all, I'm looking to return the highest score for a users with multiple scores in a list of other users with multiple scores. Thank you, Ron Say the data is like: frank 56 joe 9 frank 74 frank 101 jim 143 jim 146 joe 200 frank 164 joe 135 joe 127 joe 177 jim 10 jim 135 jim 53 frank 190 joe 109 jim 193 jim 29 jim 8 jim 107 joe 93 joe 9 jim 153 jim 186 joe 36 jim 174 jim 141 frank 55 jim 92 frank 141 joe 15 frank 5 frank 34 joe 161 jim 103 joe 88 and we want the max score for frank: =MAX(IF(A1:A36="frank",B1:B36,""...

Backing Up Outlook #2
I have Windows XP Professional installed. Is there a simple and straight forward way to back up all my Outlook folders and address books to CD? Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "mel weston" <mel.weston@micronsecurity.com> wrote in message news:068d01c35018$e7f97b70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I have...