Moving application without installing CD

Here we have some legacy applications for windows whose installing media went
lost. We don't even have any contact with the software houses or programmers
who developed them. We would like to move some of them to new computers but
it can be a nightmare. Searching on the net I learnt there are commercial
software which claim to do that dirty work, but I found no clue on how to do
it manually. In the past I tried to solve a similar scenario using
sysinternals tools (ProcessMonitor) to understand what files and dlls an
application needed but I ended up with total failure. Any suggestions ?

Thanks
Filippo

"setecastronomy" <setecastronomy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here we have some legacy applications for windows whose installing media
> went
> lost. We don't even have any contact with the software houses or
> programmers
> who developed them. We would like to move some of them to new computers
> but
> it can be a nightmare. Searching on the net I learnt there are commercial
> software which claim to do that dirty work, but I found no clue on how to
> do
> it manually. In the past I tried to solve a similar scenario using
> sysinternals tools (ProcessMonitor) to understand what files and dlls an
> application needed but I ended up with total failure. Any suggestions ?
>

> Thanks
> Filippo

With simple applications it is sufficient to copy the application folders to
the new machine and perhaps also some .dll files in case it complains. With
complex applications you would have to replicate each and every registry
entry, which sounds like an impossible task unless they are all clearly
marked as belonging to this particular application. Your best bet may be to
replace the applications with new ones that are fully supported and for
which you implement a formal register to protect yourself against future
loss. Note also that if these are 16-bit applications, they won't run under
new OSs such as Windows 7.

0
Pegasus
4/1/2010 7:36:14 AM
On 4/1/2010 10:36 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> "setecastronomy" <setecastronomy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:A2BC5191-42CF-4264-BEEC-E8C43B489312@microsoft.com...
>> Here we have some legacy applications for windows whose installing
>> media went
>> lost. We don't even have any contact with the software houses or
>> programmers
>> who developed them. We would like to move some of them to new
>> computers but
>> it can be a nightmare. Searching on the net I learnt there are commercial
>> software which claim to do that dirty work, but I found no clue on how
>> to do
>> it manually. In the past I tried to solve a similar scenario using
>> sysinternals tools (ProcessMonitor) to understand what files and dlls an
>> application needed but I ended up with total failure. Any suggestions ?
>>

>> Thanks
>> Filippo
>
> With simple applications it is sufficient to copy the application
> folders to the new machine and perhaps also some .dll files in case it
> complains. With complex applications you would have to replicate each
> and every registry entry, which sounds like an impossible task unless
> they are all clearly marked as belonging to this particular application.
> Your best bet may be to replace the applications with new ones that are
> fully supported and for which you implement a formal register to protect
> yourself against future loss. Note also that if these are 16-bit
> applications, they won't run under new OSs such as Windows 7.

One easier -IMHO- option is:

1/ Run a registry cleaner to get rid of existing issues *after* making a
backup of it and making sure System Restore is activated.

2/ Create a restore point.

3/ Move (not copy) the directory (ies) to their new location, keeping
the same structure.

4/ Run again the registry cleaner and make a careful note of what comes
up as new issues.

5/ Go into the registry and do a search and replace to replace the old
locations by the new ones.

6/ Run again the registry cleaner to see if you missed some registry keys.

7 / Try running the software.

Doing this assumes you are familiar with working on the registry, doing
backups, and restores. Sorry if this sounds patronizing.

I do not know many tools which can do search and replace in the
registry. One of them is Powertools, whose registry cleaner and other
applications I find reliable.

Good luck.

--
John Doue
0
wrote:

> 1/ Run a registry cleaner to get rid of existing issues *after* making a
> backup of it and making sure System Restore is activated.

Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.

The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
it may have.

Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
0
Ken
4/1/2010 3:59:32 PM
setecastronomy wrote:
> Here we have some legacy applications for windows whose installing
> media went lost. We don't even have any contact with the software
> houses or programmers who developed them. We would like to move some
> of them to new computers but it can be a nightmare. Searching on the
> net I learnt there are commercial software which claim to do that
> dirty work, but I found no clue on how to do it manually. In the past
> I tried to solve a similar scenario using sysinternals tools
> (ProcessMonitor) to understand what files and dlls an application
> needed but I ended up with total failure. Any suggestions ?

The first question that must be answered is WHY you want to move them to a
new computer?

Assuming your are REPLACING an existing computer with a new one, the
following often works:

1. Remove hard drive from new computer and install in old computer as #2
drive.
2. Use the new hard drive manufacturer's utilities to copy everything from
existing #1 hard drive to #2 hard drive
3. Put #2 hard drive back in new computer.
4. Deal with XP bitching about being in a strange land..

0
HeyBub
4/1/2010 4:08:49 PM
On 4/1/2010 6:59 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:06:46 +0300, John Doue<notwobe@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> 1/ Run a registry cleaner to get rid of existing issues *after* making a
>> backup of it and making sure System Restore is activated.
>

> Registry cleaning programs are *all* snake oil. Cleaning of the
> registry isn't needed and is dangerous. Leave the registry alone and
> don't use any registry cleaner. Despite what many people think, and
> what vendors of registry cleaning software try to convince you of,
> having unused registry entries doesn't really hurt you.
>
> The risk of a serious problem caused by a registry cleaner erroneously
> removing an entry you need is far greater than any potential benefit
> it may have.
>
> Read http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000643.html

Sorry, but you missed the point by a mile. My suggestion has nothing to
do with "cleaning" or "removing" entries: it has all to do with allowing
a subsequent detection of what entries become faulty *due to* moving the
directories and files.

This cannot be done without prior establishing of a base, whatever its
merits. And I made sure to provide the useful advices in case the user
has little experience.
--
John Doue
0

"John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On 4/1/2010 10:36 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>

>> "setecastronomy" <setecastronomy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:A2BC5191-42CF-4264-BEEC-E8C43B489312@microsoft.com...
>>> Here we have some legacy applications for windows whose installing
>>> media went
>>> lost. We don't even have any contact with the software houses or
>>> programmers
>>> who developed them. We would like to move some of them to new
>>> computers but
>>> it can be a nightmare. Searching on the net I learnt there are
>>> commercial
>>> software which claim to do that dirty work, but I found no clue on how
>>> to do
>>> it manually. In the past I tried to solve a similar scenario using
>>> sysinternals tools (ProcessMonitor) to understand what files and dlls an
>>> application needed but I ended up with total failure. Any suggestions ?
>>>

>>> Thanks
>>> Filippo
>>
>> With simple applications it is sufficient to copy the application
>> folders to the new machine and perhaps also some .dll files in case it
>> complains. With complex applications you would have to replicate each
>> and every registry entry, which sounds like an impossible task unless
>> they are all clearly marked as belonging to this particular application.
>> Your best bet may be to replace the applications with new ones that are
>> fully supported and for which you implement a formal register to protect
>> yourself against future loss. Note also that if these are 16-bit
>> applications, they won't run under new OSs such as Windows 7.
>
> One easier -IMHO- option is:
>
> 1/ Run a registry cleaner to get rid of existing issues *after* making a
> backup of it and making sure System Restore is activated.
>
> 2/ Create a restore point.
>
> 3/ Move (not copy) the directory (ies) to their new location, keeping the
> same structure.
>
> 4/ Run again the registry cleaner and make a careful note of what comes up
> as new issues.
>
> 5/ Go into the registry and do a search and replace to replace the old
> locations by the new ones.
>
> 6/ Run again the registry cleaner to see if you missed some registry keys.
>
> 7 / Try running the software.
>
> Doing this assumes you are familiar with working on the registry, doing
> backups, and restores. Sorry if this sounds patronizing.
>
> I do not know many tools which can do search and replace in the registry.
> One of them is Powertools, whose registry cleaner and other applications I
> find reliable.
>
> Good luck.
>
> --
> John Doue

Your suggestion expands on the point I had made: That a transfer could be
feasible if the application had flagged all its registry keys so that they
would be recognisable. This is a tall order for a human and an much taller
order for an automated process. My suspicion is that the registry cleaner
would miss numerous relevant entries and flag numerous irrelevant entries.
Would you care to test the idea on your machine, e.g. with Acrobat Reader,
and report the results here?

0
Pegasus
4/1/2010 5:22:36 PM
On 4/1/2010 8:22 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On 4/1/2010 10:36 AM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>>

>>> "setecastronomy" <setecastronomy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:A2BC5191-42CF-4264-BEEC-E8C43B489312@microsoft.com...

>>> With simple applications it is sufficient to copy the application
>>> folders to the new machine and perhaps also some .dll files in case it
>>> complains. With complex applications you would have to replicate each
>>> and every registry entry, which sounds like an impossible task unless
>>> they are all clearly marked as belonging to this particular application.
>>> Your best bet may be to replace the applications with new ones that are
>>> fully supported and for which you implement a formal register to protect
>>> yourself against future loss. Note also that if these are 16-bit
>>> applications, they won't run under new OSs such as Windows 7.
>>
>> One easier -IMHO- option is:
>>
>> 1/ Run a registry cleaner to get rid of existing issues *after* making
>> a backup of it and making sure System Restore is activated.
>>
>> 2/ Create a restore point.
>>
>> 3/ Move (not copy) the directory (ies) to their new location, keeping
>> the same structure.
>>
>> 4/ Run again the registry cleaner and make a careful note of what
>> comes up as new issues.
>>
>> 5/ Go into the registry and do a search and replace to replace the old
>> locations by the new ones.
>>
>> 6/ Run again the registry cleaner to see if you missed some registry
>> keys.
>>
>> 7 / Try running the software.
>>
>> Doing this assumes you are familiar with working on the registry,
>> doing backups, and restores. Sorry if this sounds patronizing.
>>
>> I do not know many tools which can do search and replace in the
>> registry. One of them is Powertools, whose registry cleaner and other
>> applications I find reliable.
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> --
>> John Doue
>
> Your suggestion expands on the point I had made: That a transfer could
> be feasible if the application had flagged all its registry keys so that
> they would be recognisable. This is a tall order for a human and an much
> taller order for an automated process. My suspicion is that the registry
> cleaner would miss numerous relevant entries and flag numerous
> irrelevant entries. Would you care to test the idea on your machine,
> e.g. with Acrobat Reader, and report the results here?

We are talking legacy applications here. I do not think Acrobat Reader
qualifies. If I took the time to expose this process, it is because I
have used it previously, even for applications which make extensive
(very extensive use) of the registry. Like WordPerfect X4. Involved, but
feasible. Worth trying if you value said application.

If the application does not make much use of registry keys, it might
just work after a move, or editing of ini files might be in order.

Any way, this is worth a try. Of course, suggesting to replace legacy
applications is less involved: if your car no longer works, just buy a
new one. Easier.
--
John Doue
0
John Doue wrote:
> On 4/1/2010 8:22 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>

>> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> One easier -IMHO- option is:
>>>
>>> 1/ Run a registry cleaner to get rid of existing issues *after* making
>>> a backup of it and making sure System Restore is activated.
>>>
>>> 2/ Create a restore point.
>>>
>>> 3/ Move (not copy) the directory (ies) to their new location, keeping
>>> the same structure.
>>>
>>> 4/ Run again the registry cleaner and make a careful note of what
>>> comes up as new issues.
>>>
>>> 5/ Go into the registry and do a search and replace to replace the old
>>> locations by the new ones.
>>>
>>> 6/ Run again the registry cleaner to see if you missed some registry
>>> keys.
>>>
>>> 7 / Try running the software.
>>>
>>> Doing this assumes you are familiar with working on the registry,
>>> doing backups, and restores. Sorry if this sounds patronizing.
>>>
>>> I do not know many tools which can do search and replace in the
>>> registry. One of them is Powertools, whose registry cleaner and other
>>> applications I find reliable.
>>>
>>> Good luck.
>>>
>>> --
>>> John Doue
>>
>> Your suggestion expands on the point I had made: That a transfer could
>> be feasible if the application had flagged all its registry keys so that
>> they would be recognisable. This is a tall order for a human and an much
>> taller order for an automated process. My suspicion is that the registry
>> cleaner would miss numerous relevant entries and flag numerous
>> irrelevant entries. Would you care to test the idea on your machine,
>> e.g. with Acrobat Reader, and report the results here?
>
> We are talking legacy applications here. I do not think Acrobat Reader
> qualifies. If I took the time to expose this process, it is because I
> have used it previously, even for applications which make extensive
> (very extensive use) of the registry. Like WordPerfect X4. Involved, but
> feasible. Worth trying if you value said application.
>
> If the application does not make much use of registry keys, it might
> just work after a move, or editing of ini files might be in order.
>
> Any way, this is worth a try. Of course, suggesting to replace legacy
> applications is less involved: if your car no longer works, just buy a
> new one. Easier.

Although your process has a certain logical appeal, it depends on the
repeatability of the registry cleaner that is used. Although the cleaner
you used may well have worked for the applications that you had, I've
seen more than one report about registry cleaners that find "registry
errors" on a second pass *after* they have run, found errors, and been
permitted to "clean" or "repair" those errors.

As you suggest, it *may* be worth the time and effort to try, but your
first instruction, to make a backup, is crucial.  I'd make a disk image,
rather than a registry backup. If you manage to corrupt the registry
sufficiently to prevent Windows from starting, then it probably will be
easier to restore using an image than using a registry backup utility
(which likely will require booting into a non-Windows OS).

[Sometimes it *is* more cost effective to buy a new car rather than
continuing to make repairs to an old one. But that's another story.]

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem
4/1/2010 6:40:53 PM
On 4/1/2010 9:40 PM, Lem wrote:
> John Doue wrote:
>> On 4/1/2010 8:22 PM, Pegasus [MVP] wrote:
>>>

>>> "John Doue" <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Your suggestion expands on the point I had made: That a transfer could
>>> be feasible if the application had flagged all its registry keys so that
>>> they would be recognisable. This is a tall order for a human and an much
>>> taller order for an automated process. My suspicion is that the registry
>>> cleaner would miss numerous relevant entries and flag numerous
>>> irrelevant entries. Would you care to test the idea on your machine,
>>> e.g. with Acrobat Reader, and report the results here?
>>
>> We are talking legacy applications here. I do not think Acrobat Reader
>> qualifies. If I took the time to expose this process, it is because I
>> have used it previously, even for applications which make extensive
>> (very extensive use) of the registry. Like WordPerfect X4. Involved,
>> but feasible. Worth trying if you value said application.
>>
>> If the application does not make much use of registry keys, it might
>> just work after a move, or editing of ini files might be in order.
>>
>> Any way, this is worth a try. Of course, suggesting to replace legacy
>> applications is less involved: if your car no longer works, just buy a
>> new one. Easier.
>
> Although your process has a certain logical appeal, it depends on the
> repeatability of the registry cleaner that is used. Although the cleaner
> you used may well have worked for the applications that you had, I've
> seen more than one report about registry cleaners that find "registry
> errors" on a second pass *after* they have run, found errors, and been
> permitted to "clean" or "repair" those errors.
>
> As you suggest, it *may* be worth the time and effort to try, but your
> first instruction, to make a backup, is crucial. I'd make a disk image,
> rather than a registry backup. If you manage to corrupt the registry
> sufficiently to prevent Windows from starting, then it probably will be
> easier to restore using an image than using a registry backup utility
> (which likely will require booting into a non-Windows OS).
>
> [Sometimes it *is* more cost effective to buy a new car rather than
> continuing to make repairs to an old one. But that's another story.]

My idea of a registry backup is a backup which can be restored, if
needed, out of Windows, otherwise the interest is limited. For that
purpose, my registry backups (daily) are stored on a partition other
than C:. Saved my bacon more than once. Just to boot a CD or diskette,
unpack the zip file, modify as needed the restore batch file to reflect
the drive Windows is installed on, and there I go.

The cleaner I suggested (Powertools) is 100% consistent in its results.
Indeed, I would not trust any such utility without extensive experience
with it.

At the end of the day, the idea is to offer solutions to the OP, not to
attempt to prove your suggestion is the best, or the only one. On the
other hand, sidestepping the question is not answering it :-).

Indeed, moving to a more modern application is often a wise solution,
but in some cases, businesses especially, custom critical applications
were developped and for some reason, not updated to follow Windows
evolution. So, this is not always a simple option ... even if it remains
desirable in a longer term perspective.

--
John Doue
0

California Sales Tax application
We handle both over-the-counter and mail order sales to customers in and out of state (California). We charge sales tax on all sales inside our county (whether walk-in or mail ordered) at one rate. We charge sales tax to all other California deliveries at another. We do not charge sales tax on out of state sales. Currently, we've set the customer field for tax matching to "state" and are finessing in-county sales by giving a special state code in the ship-to field. However, this is cumbersome, and less experienced staff miss collections. Ideally, we should collect by...

Share data across web applications?
I would like to share data across two separate web applications. Is this possible, other than with Cookies? If so, how might I do it? I would like to pass non-sensitive information from one web application to another, on the same web server and running within the same website. I'm using .NET Framework v2.0 on a Windows 2003 server (IIS 6.0). Jason Barnett wrote: > I would like to share data across two separate web applications. Is this > possible, other than with Cookies? If so, how might I do it? > > I would like to pass non-sensitive information from one...

Installation of Office on Netbook
I recently got a Netbook, and I have MS Office Home and Student 2007. My netbook only has 1.25 GB of ram. I was wondering if there is anyway to at least download MS Word & Powerpoint? It says I have 3 licensed and I've used one on my main PC. When I downloaded it to my netbook, then tried to install it, it said that it failed to install. I thought it may have to do with the ram. My hard drive has lots of space on it. I'd like to be able to use at least MS Word to do Resumes on my netbook. Any help is appreciated. Thank-you You have got plenty of RAM to run Office...

12.1.1 Installed, But AutoUpdate Says 12.1.1 Still Required
After I successfully went through the reinstall routine, an AutoUpdater check still indicates 12.1.1 is required (I used the stand- alone version). I verified via Command+I that 12.1.1 is the present version of Word, PP, and Excel (I did not install Entourage or Messenger). Is this just a bug or is there some way to correct the false positive? "pendragon" wrote: > After I successfully went through the reinstall routine, an > AutoUpdater check still indicates 12.1.1 is required (I used the stand- > alone version). > > I verified via Command+I that 12.1.1 is the pre...

24hr moving average
I need to calculate 24hr moving averages of several columns of imported data (see example below). Column A has date and time the data is collected, the data is initally in approx. 15min cycles, but at the end of the data (about row 1100) data is in hourly cycles. Occasionally the imported data does not record a date or time and occasionally, cycles of data may be missed for various reasons. Example: Date and Time Elevation (mm) RL 24hr Av (mid) 5/11/2005 10:42 -2.7 5/11/2005 10:51 -0.5 5/11/2005 11:05 -0.5 5/11/2005 11:19 -0.8 5/11/2005 11:34 -0.3 5/11/2005 11:49...

Recurrent 2004 Installation Message
Almost every time I restart/start my computer, I have a "Windows Installing" message come up on the screen. It then asks me to close Money Messenger 2004 so I may proceed. If I close Money Messenger from the toolbar or task manager, it goes away. If I start Money 2004, it has numerous "Installing" message boxes come and go as it eventually loads. I do have spyware and Norton antivirus software but the initial installation seemed to go fine. My spyware also continues to identify a program name "eblaster" which I know can track e-mail. Could this eblaster ...

Installed Exchange 2003 Server on new Hardwar... How to get rid of old Exchange 2000 Server?
Hi, Our single domain company (Win 2000 DC's) was running a single Exchange 2000 server. I bought a new server, installed Windows 2003 Server on it, joined it to the domian (non-DC) and then installed Exchange 2003 Server on that and joined it to the site. I then pointed our MX records towards the new box. As soon as I verified connectivity, I began moving user's mailboxes over 1 by 1. Everyone is now running smoothly on the new server. I have not as of yet removed the old server (still on, running, no mialboxes). The problem is, that as soon as I turn off the old Exchange 2000 s...

Move worksheet to new book
I have 14 worksheets within a workbook. In the middle are worksheets named Sheet1, Sheet2....Sheet10 Is it possible using a macro to see if there is anything written in cell A1 on Sheet1, and if there is, then move it to a new book, and then check Sheet2 and so on? And if there is no information on the worksheet I would like to delete it. TIA Try this against a copy (since it destroys worksheets): Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim wks As Worksheet Dim iCtr As Long Dim wkbk As Workbook Set wkbk = ActiveWorkbook For iCtr = 1 To 10 'sheet1 throu...

moving columns
Hi all, I have a sheet in which in row 3 there is data like this: ColumnA B C D E F Customer name 1-30 30-60 60-90 90-270 270-300 what is want is that 270-300 should move in front of 1-30, I mean t say that column F should move in front of Column B but after column A movement should be on basis that in column F, it is written 270-300 and columns may change , i mean to say that sometimes there is no 30-6 and 90-270 column columns may increase or decrease do we have a solution to this thank u al -- Message posted from http...

First Exchange instal
I just got SBS installed and also configured Exchange (i think). I added an MX record on my hosting account that points to my no-ip.com DNS service. I can send mail fine but i am not recieving. Do i need to contact the Hosting company? ISP? or no-ip.com? Troubleshooting steps when you don't receive internet email: - Since you can send internet mail it is assumed that SMTP service and SMTP virtual server are running, and Store is mounted. 1. Check default email addresses of users - these are the ones shown in the mail attribute and also the ones that start with upper-case SMTP: on th...

Trying install CRM 3.0
Hi guys, I'm tryingo to install the trial version CRM 3.0 but i'm receving two errors: 1) MS SQL SERVER: "MSSQLSvc service principal name not found for account CN=OFFICESYSTEMBR,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=officesystem,DC=com." 2) REporting Services "Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://OFFICESYSTEMBR/Reportserver. Error: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then resta...

start app without setting focus
Hi, i want to start my app (modless dialog) and I do not want, that my application gets the focus. How can I realize that? I tried such tings like GetForeGroundWindow()->SetFocus, but nothing worked. Everytime my app has the focus (wether running hidden with tray icon or showed). Does anybody has some ideas how I can do that? thanks a lot, Holger -- www.kreissl.info In CDialog::OnInitDialog() return FALSE instead of TRUE -- With Regards Alok Gupta Visit me at http://alok.bizhat.com "I Believe this will Help" "Holger Krei´┐Żl" <n...

Excel97--Each workbook opens new application
Excel 97: Each xls file opens a separate copy of Excel. How do I get multiple workbooks to open in one application? Jim Tools>Options>General. Uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 16:27:39 -0800, "JimL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Excel 97: Each xls file opens a separate copy of Excel. >How do I get multiple workbooks to open in one application? ...

problems installing Outlook Desktop client
Problem trying to install Microsoft CRM 3 Outlook desktop client on a PC running windows XP service Pack 2 and Outlook 2003 service Pack 2 connected to exchange. Originally downloaded ISO installation file from Microsoft downloads, and burnt CD. Installation failed, it seems the installation CD was corrupt. We then found our original installation CD, which when we installed it, it came up with two messages: - Microsoft Outlook was not initialized. Please run Outlook and configure your mail account. ---- Outlook is installed and running, there's no problem with this so I do not unde...

Can I move the data files?
I just installed Money 2005. I let it take most of the defaults, It choose to store the data files in \My Documents. I would like to move all of them to \My Documents\My Money. Is there a way to do that? -- Simplest way is to use My Computer or Windows Explorer. Navigate to your ..mny file, click on it, click on edit > copy, navigate to where you want the ..mny file to live and click on edit > paste. When the file is in it's new home, double click on the file name. This will call up Money and this will then remember where it found the file. Now go back to the original locati...

Move data from column to rows HELP!!!
Hi thanks for taking the time to look at my problem, currently i have column that has thousands of rows of information in it, it looks lik this A 40432 432654 3432 532543 32432 523 53425 532532 532 523 532 111 222 333 666 numbers that go on into mabye the 5000-6000 range what i need to do is have that data moved So it looks like this A | B | C 40432 | 32432 | 532 432654 | 523 | 523 3432 | 52432 | 111 532543 | 532532 | 222 So on and so on, so instead of 1 column with 6000 lines it ...

How does clickonce find the local application?
Hi, The shortcut file created by clickonce deployment having an extension .appref-ms only has a link that looks like: http://127.0.0.1/ClickOnceDemo/ClickOnceDemo.application#ClickOnceDemo.application, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=27d66f1bda5f165d, processorArchitecture=msil The file http://127.0.0.1/ClickOnceDemo/ClickOnceDemo.application has the name and version number of the executable assembly. When ClickOnce application is invoked, the framework compares the version of the locally installed app against the version in the deployment manifest. My question is, how does th...

Can't install Exchange 2003.
Hi, I'm having an issue where I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard. I'm stuck at the "Component Selection" and when I chose one of the action given, I will get these errors : "..has an unknown installation problem" "..encountered an error while checking the prerequisites for the component exchange.." Before that during the initial setup, I was getting this error : "Exchange Server 2003 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows. For more information, refe...

Weekly Resource Utilization Report without Timesheet module?
We are considering dropping the timesheet module of PWA 2007 and was wondering if we would still be able to get a report out that would detail the number of hours used by a resource by project task and by week. My gut feel is that it should be able to, but not sure there are any canned reports that is available for this purpose within Resource Center or Project Center. Kahuna: you can get this from the OLAP cube using the MSP_Project_Timesheet cube. Understand that Project Managers can change actual work values in projects unless you lock down the system. So, your decision mus...

stange folder after install updates
hello, I've some computers with XP SP3 which after install some updates appear "strange folders". For example there're some folders in c: called: 6ac86d2ad9be93fc0f0ded or 22553c8e848b459d87bc49 I think that these folder are created when the installation on the update fails but my problem is in order to delete them I have to put myself as propietary of the folder manually, Is there any way to delete them automatically? sgr wrote: :: hello, :: :: I've some computers with XP SP3 which after install some updates :: appear "strange folders". F...

how do i move the pictures in 3D
aren't 3D pictures supose to move in all directions but in visio seems to move only left,right,up and down. is there another way? On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 06:05:00 -0700, luka <luka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >aren't 3D pictures supose to move in all directions but in visio seems to >move only left,right,up and down. is there another way? Visio is a 2D drawing program, not 3D. There are a few drawing extensions that look like 3D though. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Electrical for Visio http://www.electrical.sandrila.co.uk/ ...

ONDIRTY MOVE TO NEXT FIELD
Hi, I have a combo box, when I hit Y (yes) I would like to save a keystroke and have the cursor move to the next field. How would I do that? I tried ONDIRTY but it gave me an error and couldn't move. Thanks in advance, Bonnie Try the AfterUpdate event of the combo box. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "Bonnie" <Bonnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0068FF95-2485-4FA7-B59A-4BA9A1E1CF86@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have a combo box, when I hit Y (yes) I would like to save a keystroke > and > have the cursor move to the...

MS Money 2005 Install
I purchased MS Money from Microsofts web site, Installed without a problem, Once it completes all updates and asks to restart money, I come up with the trial version. any ideas? I had the same experience. Here's what I did: First of all, I had made an online purchase of MS Money 2005 Deluxe for $60. Then, I ended up with the trial version, just as you did. Subsequently, while I was poking around in the trial version trying to figure out how to activate the full product, I found that the trial version advertises purchasing the full product of MS Money 2005 Deluxe for $40. So...

Moving OLE Based Control
I have a control that is bound to an OLE object in a table. When i try to reposition the control with the command Me.ObjectName.Left = 4000, it does not compile. The error message "Invalid Qualifier" appears. In addition, when I normally enter the period after the name of the object such as Me.ObjectName. a list of optional commands comes up. For this control, it does not. Could anyone help with with the problem of not being able to access the properties of this control. I use Access 2000. Thanks -- Frank Wagner fwagner111@aol.com What's the control? Are you sur...

Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\
Installing Microsoft Outlook 2007 on Windows Vista 32 SP1 products this error. Error 2203. An internal error has occurred. (C:\Windows\Installer\...) Contact Microsoft Product Support Services (PSS) for assistance. ...