Microsoft Word margin brackets

This is about Microsoft Word, but I am not sure where to send the question.
Please, if anybody knows where the proper forum for it is let me know.

The problem is that all of a sudden my Microsoft Word page is doing
something strange. It has these two figures like backwards L that line up
right flash with the margins measurements at each side on top and bottom of
the of the page. They look like backward brackets witout one of the paralell
lines.

Thanks for any advise.

--
edith

"em21" <em21@discussions.com> said this in news item
> This is about Microsoft Word, but I am not sure where to send the
> question.
> Please, if anybody knows where the proper forum for it is let me know.
>
> The problem is that all of a sudden my Microsoft Word page is doing
> something strange. It has these two figures like backwards L that line up
> right flash with the margins measurements at each side on top and bottom
> of
> the of the page. They look like backward brackets witout one of the
> paralell
> lines.
>

> Thanks for any advise.
> --
> edith

I would ask the experts in an MS Word newsgroup.

0
Pegasus
1/12/2010 11:25:26 PM
On 12 Jan 2010, =?Utf-8?B?ZW0yMQ==?= <em21@discussions.com> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> The problem is that all of a sudden my Microsoft Word page is
> doing something strange. It has these two figures like backwards L
> that line up right flash with the margins measurements at each
> side on top and bottom of the of the page. They look like backward
> brackets witout one of the paralell lines.

a) you don't give enough information for anyone to give you a well-
informed answer. Please read:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>

b) There are many newstgroups specifically for MS Word. Search for
those with the string "word" or "office".

c) I'll guess you accidentally switched to Normal View from Print
Layout View.
0
Nil
1/13/2010 1:30:06 AM
Pegasus and Nil
Thanks for your responses. I know the information was vague, it was just too
hard to explain. I tried to send a screenshot, but seems this site does not
allow that.

Nil, it wasn't that I changed to Normal View. It is still on Print View.

Thanks,
--
edith

"em21" <em21@discussions.com> wrote in message
> This is about Microsoft Word, but I am not sure where to send the
> question.
> Please, if anybody knows where the proper forum for it is let me know.
>
> The problem is that all of a sudden my Microsoft Word page is doing
> something strange. It has these two figures like backwards L that line up
> right flash with the margins measurements at each side on top and bottom
> of
> the of the page. They look like backward brackets witout one of the
> paralell
> lines.

See if 'Text boundaries' is ticked under Tools->Options->View.
These marks also appear if you've got East Asian languages enabled(!).
See here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839371

bob

0
xrms3
1/13/2010 8:55:18 AM
em21 wrote:
> This is about Microsoft Word, but I am not sure where to send the question.
> Please, if anybody knows where the proper forum for it is let me know.
>
> The problem is that all of a sudden my Microsoft Word page is doing
> something strange. It has these two figures like backwards L that line up
> right flash with the margins measurements at each side on top and bottom of
> the of the page. They look like backward brackets witout one of the paralell
> lines.
>

> Thanks for any advise.

In the clunky Microsoft web interface that you're using, the Microsoft
Word newsgroup is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagement&lang=en&cr=US
Or, in a newsreader,
nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Or, on Google Groups,
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.word.docmanagement/topics?hl=en&gvc=2

Microsoft appears to be making it more difficult to use these
newsgroups.  In particular, they're making them hard to find unless
you're using a newsreader.  See "How to subscribe to newsgroups in
Outlook Express" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171190 When you go to
the "subscribe" function of your newsreader, you will get a searchable
list of all of the newsgroups that Microsoft maintains.

If you want to continue using the web interface (which is what you used
for your original post), here is the starting point:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem

Opening Word
When I open Word 2007 - it opens with a (template?) to make a header - on the page. I want it to open with a completely blank page with my default margins and type style. Thank you See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDocNotBlank.htm. -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 11:46:01 -0800, heread <heread@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I open Word 2007 - it opens with a (template?) to make a hea...

word cannot save or create this file
i have opened a saved doc. When i re-open and edit and then "save as" new name an error: word cannot save or create this file. Check the disk is not full or write protected. This is new, how do i save? -- Browny ...

Enterprise Library Instrumentation and microsoft exception handling block.
hi all i have used microsoft's exception handling block for publishing exception to event viewer. but i am getting very different error when exception occured on production. error source displayed as "Enterprise Library Instrumentation" ad error discription varies but mainly like "Failed to create instances of performance counter 'Cache Total Turnover Rate' - The requested Performance Counter is not a custom counter, it has to be initialized as ReadOnly.." can anyone shed some light on it? thanks in advnace. ...

mail merge to Word
Does anyone know why I can't get my zip codes in Excel to merge into mailing labels in Word 2000? On the first worksheet I get a very few to merge, the rest are blank. On the second worksheet where I've copied and pasted some random names and addresses from worksheet 1, the zip codes do merge but they all have a decimal and a zero at the end. I have gone to Format and chosen Text, but that doesn't seem to help. I've even cleared and re-entered all my zip codes. That made no difference either. Does anyone see a clue where I'm going wrong? TIA bob ...

Problems with Word and Adobe Distiller
OS X question: I have installed Adobe Distiller, and when I open Word, it hangs for about 20 seconds and then places Adobe icons on my toolbar. Evertime I go to pen a file or create a new file in Word, Word hangs again for 15 to 20 seconds. It is driving me crazy. Removing Distiller does not help. Help!? SAH Steven A. Holmes <sholmes@realartways.org> wrote: > OS X question: > > I have installed Adobe Distiller, and when I open Word, it hangs for about > 20 seconds and then places Adobe icons on my toolbar. Evertime I go to pen a > file or create a new file in Word, ...

Why is there a red exclamation point on my word document icons?
All of a sudden I'm getting exclamtion points on the Word document icons. Even the .doc and .docx files. Why is there a red exclamation point on my word document icons? On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 11:19:02 -0800, roadtrpn <roadtrpn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >All of a sudden I'm getting exclamtion points on the Word document icons. >Even the .doc and .docx files. Why is there a red exclamation point on my >word document icons? That isn't something Word does. Do you use an online backup service, such as Mozy? If so, that icon could mark files that ...

Can you change letter case without having to retype words?
I have an excel worksheet which I need to change all the columns from capitals to lower case text. Is there a way to do this without having to retype the whole database? Sure. One easy way is to copy to Word, select and choose Format-Change case. However, you can do this using a macro, which you might want to store in your personal.xls file. http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=69 ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Elissa" <Elissa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A55C0E80-8262-48F8-B87F-60DB17255F...

printing/changing margins
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) After setting the margins in page setup, the print preview shows it all to be there, but when printed, it is cut off at the bottom, thus leaving a larger margin than set. Make sure that you have Office (12.2.3), OS X (10.6.2) *and* your printer driver fully updated � check the mfr's web site. It wouldn't hurt to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions after applying any updates. If you continue to experience the problem you'll need to reply with a more detailed description of the document's structure, t...

42 Top Quality Microsoft Study Guides in just $49.95 with Free Online Exams
SmartCert.net has been Re-Launched with All New Amazing Features! All SmartCert.net top 42 MCSE, MCSA, MCSD, and MCDBA Exams in just $49.95 All SmartCert.net top 35 CCNA, CCNP, and CCIE Exams in just $49.95 All SmartCert.net top 20 OCP 9i and 10g Exams in just $49.95 All New Certifications and Updated Exams Free Online Practice Exams Free Discussion Board Free Technical Articles Win Free Guides through Lucky Draw Mega Affiliate Program 06 Months Free Updates Please Register with SmartCert.net at http://www.smartcert.net/ to Enjoy all Free Features SmartCert.net is Offering. You can...

Open Office and Microsoft Works
How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office instead of Microsoft Works' when trying to open an XLS file? As it stands the latter automatically opens it. Windows Vista Home Premium SP2, 32 bit and IE 8. The reason: the file doesn't open properly as is, IOW a calendar shows up in sections of four and incomplete as such. TIA, Harry. "webster72n" <webster72n@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OU2jlY#lKHA.4148@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > How can I get my browser to choose the spread sheet from Open Office > instead of Mic...

cannot save word file except tmp
I opened a word file I already worked before and updated and saved it - it is normal so far. After keeping working for a while, when I tried to save it, I got a message saying I cannot save it. The existing file name, while it is still open and i am working now, is suddenly changed to "xxxx.tmp". I had to save as with other name. I used MS Word 2007 Enterprise and worked under 2007 Office Groove. Any comments are welcome. Thanks, ...

Best practice for setting default font settings in Word 2007
Could anyone tell me what Microsoft's "Best Practice" is for a company to change the default font settings in Word 2007? For example, if I wanted to change the default font to Times New Roman for all new documents and push this out to the company - does best practice remain the same as in Word 2003? Or has it changed with the inclusion of the default document settings and themes? Thanks so much! I am not sure how you did it in Word 2003, but in either case, I would not rely on customizing the Normal.dot template. You should create separate templates for your...

Extra wide margin
Hi, I have a pop-up modal form where in design view the right edge of the form is right next to the most right field on the form. When I open the form there is about 1-2 inches space between the right field and the right edge of the form. How I get rid of this extra space? Thanks, -- Phil In form design view, drag the right edge of the form closer to the text box. I refer to the "box" containing the form, not the form's width property. Access seems to ignore the width property if it has extra space to fill. "Phil" <phil@discussion.microsoft.com> wrote i...

Opening file from an item loses Word document properties
Hello, I have just discovered that when you double-click a Word file attached to an appointment item (although I imagine it will be the same for other items too), Outlook does not open the actual file, but takes a copy and puts it in the temp folder and opens that. This is a pain as it mucks up some of the automation coding I have done, but what's worse is that the copy doesn't seem to have the custom properties I have set. Is there any way of forcing Outlook to open the original, instead of a copy? Failing that, any ideas why the custom document property would have been lost...

How to format different odd and even margins
I need to have large margins on the outer margin so different for odd and even pages? any tips? In earlier versions of Word, there was a check box in Page Setup for "Mirror margins." In recent versions, that setting is under "Multiple pages" on the Margins tab of Page Setup. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "MaryE" <MaryE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5875EE50-EFB9-4C55-94A3-B7AB75B7C2CE@microsoft.com... >I need to have large margins on the out...

My Documents include Excel & Word
I would prefer to have separate folders for Excel & Word. Is this possible, advisable or not advisable & how do I do this? -- Sadie Hi Sadie, Create 2 different folders like Excel and Word under My Documents and make these folders as default file locations. In Excel: Tools – Options – Default File Location. In Word: Tools – Options – File Locations – Documents. All your future files will by default go to these folders. Segregate your present files by clicking File Type in Windows Explorer and put into the appropriate folders. Regards, Jaleel "Sadie" wrote: &g...

All recipients must have an X.400 address in Microsoft Exchange???
Experts, Running Windows Server 2003 SP1. Exchange SP2 and IIS 6.0. Tried to remove the X.400 address in my recipient policy then got this error below. In the age of SMTP, why does Exchange still care about having an X.400 address tacked on to the recipient policy? Now I have to go to each of my user's accounts individually and remove the X.400 address in their email addresses tab. --------------------------- Exchange System Manager --------------------------- The X.400 primary address cannot be disabled. All recipients must have an X.400 address in Microsoft Exchange. -------...

Word 2007
In Word 2003 you can define a new number format list with Number style (None). It is not possible in Word 2007 because the OK button is not activated when (None) is choosen. To create a list like this is useful if you want to repeat a text on every line in a list without a number. My work around for this time was to do a list in Word 2003 version and then copy it into Word 2007. I look forward to get an answere from someone out there. Best regards, Lisa It is true that you can't do this for simple lists in Word 2007, but you can do it for multilevel lists; see h...

Changing the format of an Excel output file made by Microsoft Access
Hello, I have a question about changing the format of a document made with OutputTo command. I have an Access database which I'm exporting some of it's data to an Excel document. Guess the Access table is named "MyAccessTable". I'm using the following command to export the data in that table to an excel worksheet and open it with Excel: DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputTable , "MyAccessTable",_ acFormatXLS,"C:\ExcelOutputFile.xls",True. What I wish to do is that after the file is opened in Excel, a procedure in Excel will run, making all the changes nee...

Word 2007 won't let me track a comment
I have a very large document and have been working on it for a week or so, making edits with tracked changes and leaving comments for future editors. As of today, I cannot insert a comment anymore. The "new comment" button is not greyed out, and the document isn't locked or protected. I searched and removed metadata. Still won't let me tracka comment. I tried copying/pasting into a new document. I also tried resaving the original document as a new document. I also restarted my computer- all to no luck. When I try to track a comment, no balloon (or comment i...

My Publisher 2003 splits words inappropriately.
When I am inputting regular text in text boxes, Publisher does not keep words together. It doesn't hyphenate them, just splits them at the end of the text line. For example, the word "For" would read with the "F" on line 1 and the "or" on line 2. Any suggestions? Look under the format menu, "Autofit Text", what do you have checked? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "SteamboatJen" <SteamboatJen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA23AF98-3F5A-4F...

Microsoft Exchange Server
Can anyone help me understand the Microsoft Exchange Server installation process? I have Windows XP and Office XP (2002), and have Outlook installed and running. However, I'd like to be able to use the features of Microsoft Exchange Server under Outlook - e.g. sharing the calendar. When I activate the Mail icon in the Control Panel and choose Microsoft Exchange Server, I have to input the name of "your Microsoft Exchange Server computer. For information, see your system administrator" - I AM THE SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR!!!!! It's a small home computer network. Nowhere I hav...

how do I copy only the contents of an email to word doc file
I'm trying to copy only the contents of an email to a word document file and the entire of the outlook page gets copied, how do I copy only the contents. I'm on XP windows On Wed, 25 May 2005 02:31:03 -1000, Angelina <Angelina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to copy only the contents of an email to a word document file > and > the entire of the outlook page gets copied, how do I copy only the > contents. > I'm on XP windows Select the contents, click copy. Go to Word, click Paste. No? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote/Outlook...

Excel 97 Margins do not fit page size
In "page view" mode, on dragging the page breaks to adjust print area to one page I receive the error message "margins do not fit page size." Similarly, in "page setup" when adjusting to 1 page wide by 1 page tall the resulting view comes out with a page break at each column. Any advice? ...

How do i get a formula for word recognition in cells
I am trying to create a worsheet that is linked to another(I know how to link) but I am having difficulties as I can only link to set cells. i am looking for a formula that will recognise the word and send it to the specific spreed sheet.For example I have 435 items in one column but instead of putting the items in selected cells I want the formula to pick up on the word (THAT HAS BEEN RANDOMLY LISTED IN THE COLUMN) and sends it to the specified sheet? I hope that does not sound confusing and someone can help me.Thank you -- Kenya Hi Kenya, A formula cannot change the value of another...