Microsoft Update 'left behinds'

Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to
XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows.  While this
will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file
space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and
files that XP-Pro no longer needs?

If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim
some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left
behind' files?

Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the best
way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS days and know
how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is that there is some
better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd party utility.

Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where this
issue has already been written about would be deeply appreciated.
0
HenriK

HenriK wrote:
> Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update
> 'fixes' to XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and
> grows.  While this will be an elementary question to many, is some
> of this XP-Pro file space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the
> 'fixes' leave behind and files that XP-Pro no longer needs?
>
> If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to
> reclaim some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting
> these 'left behind' files?
>
> Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the
> best way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS
> days and know how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is
> that there is some better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd
> party utility.
> Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where
> this issue has already been written about would be deeply
> appreciated.

Clean up the machine.

If you are comfortable with the stability of your system, you can delete the
uninstall files for the patches that Windows XP has installed...
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
( Particularly of interest here - #4 )
( Alternative: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm )

You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but your
latest restore point and cleanup even more "loose files"..

 How to use Disk Cleanup
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

You can turn off hibernation if it is on and you don't use it..

When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's
memory to the hiberfil.sys file. As a result, the size of the hiberfil.sys
file will always equal the amount of physical memory in your system. If you
don't use the hibernate feature and want to recapture the space that Windows
uses for the hiberfil.sys file, perform the following steps:

 - Start the Control Panel Power Options applet (go to Start, Settings,
Control Panel, and click Power Options).
 - Select the Hibernate tab, clear the "Enable hibernation" check box, then
click OK; although you might think otherwise, selecting Never under the
"System hibernates" option on the Power Schemes tab doesn't delete the
hiberfil.sys file.
 - Windows will remove the "System hibernates" option from the Power Schemes
tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

You can control how much space your System Restore can use...

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Highlight one of your drives (or C: if you only have one) and click on
the "Settings" button.
4. Change the percentage of disk space you wish to allow..  I suggest moving
the slider until you have just about 1GB (1024MB or close to that...)
5. Click OK.. Then Click OK again.

You can control how much space your Temporary Internet Files can utilize...

Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
size between 64MB and 128MB..

- Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
- Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
- Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
  following:
 - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
 - Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
   something between 64MB and 128MB. (It may be MUCH larger right
   now.)
 - Click OK.
 - Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
   (the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
   minutes or more.)
- Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
  Explorer.

You can use an application that scans your system for log files and
temporary files and use that to get rid of those:

 Ccleaner (Free!)
 http://www.ccleaner.com/

Other ways to free up space..

SequoiaView
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

JDiskReport
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/index.html

Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used.

In the end - a standard Windows XP installation with all sorts of extras
will not likely be above about 4.5GB to 9GB in size.  If you have more space
than that (likely do on a modern machine) and most of it seems to be used -
likely you need to copy *your stuff* off and/or find a better way to manage
it.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/12/2009 5:34:45 PM
HenriK wrote:

> Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to
> XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows.  While this
> will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file
> space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and
> files that XP-Pro no longer needs?
>
> If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim
> some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left
> behind' files?
>
> Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the best
> way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS days and know
> how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is that there is some
> better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd party utility.
>
> Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where this
> issue has already been written about would be deeply appreciated.

How are you going to uninstall an update if something isn't left behind to
do the uninstall?  See all those "$<something>" folders under C:\Windows?
Mine occupy a total of 546MB (half a gigabyte).  You could delete them but
then you won't be able to uninstall the updates they represent.  Of course,
you can always decide to burn your bridges.  If you are that tight on free
disk space, deleting these undelete folders won't work for long since the
real solution is to get a bigger hard disk or another one.

There is also cataloging data to keep track of what updates and service
packs have been applied to your host (so the Windows Updates site knows what
you already have).
0
VanguardLH
12/12/2009 5:58:43 PM
HenriK wrote:
> Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to
> XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows.  While this
> will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file
> space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and
> files that XP-Pro no longer needs?
>
> If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim
> some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left
> behind' files?
>
> Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the best
> way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS days and know
> how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is that there is some
> better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd party utility.
>
> Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where this
> issue has already been written about would be deeply appreciated.

Wow!  Thanks so much for the quick and comprehensive responses.  Reading
  these references and thoughts will be an education and a half.  You
guys are great!
0
HenriK

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Incorrect Office Updates in Microsoft Update
Hello I recently did clean installs of XP and Win7 on 2 different PCs. Each PC was loaded with Office 2007. When I ran Microsoft Update after the Office installs, it shows I needed Office 2007 SP1, not SP2. I manually downloaded and installed Office 2007 SP2 and then checked Windows Updates for any needed patches. It still showed I needed Office 2007 SP1...even though I just installed SP2. Does anyone know how to 1) have Office SP2 show up as a needed update instead of SP1, and 2) how to configure Windows Update to show that no SP is needed after SP2 is installed? th...

Microsoft Outlook 2002 #3
How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to the following potentially unsafe attachments" Thanks, Stephen Some options here http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "spike" <stephen@just4u.ie> wrote in message news:090201c35c10$19100be0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can I allow Level 1 files into Outlook 2002, I keep > getting the following message "Outlook blocked access to > the following potentially unsafe attachments" > > Thanks, > > Stephen ...

Creating a Microsoft Words document from an existing Excel spreads
Hi all, I need your kind guidance on how to create a new microsoft words document using an existing excel spreadsheet? At present, I have an excel spreadsheet, say "data.xls" containing data for example 6 fields such as COMPANY NAME, DATE, ITEM1, ITEM2, ITEM,3 & QUOTATION TOTAL. Under these 6 fields are some records of my customers. COMPANY NM DATE ITEM1 ITEM2 ITEM3 QUOTATION TTL ---------------- ------- -------- ------- -------- ------------------- ABC Limited 3 Apr xxxxx xxxxx ...

Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version?
I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I cannot find it. Where can I get one? There isn't one. See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/422.aspx -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "masai" <masai_chadi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:op.tm81u5pvdvcnul@dikutoto.gv.shawcable.net... >I have been looking for Microsoft Money 2007 Deluxe Canadian version and I >ca...

automatic office updates
Is there a way to configure a PC to receive Office Updates automatically like Windows Update? Thanks. Jeff Via MicrosoftUpdate as apposed to windowsupdate, and then configuring how you update. eg automatic or download and notify "J Miller" <jmiller@*nospam*pcsdps.org> wrote in message news:456db17c$0$81355$ae4e5890@news.nationwide.net... > Is there a way to configure a PC to receive Office Updates automatically > like Windows Update? > > Thanks. > > > Jeff > > Yes. Microsoft updates does this. What version of Office do you use? -- Diane...

Update Manager
Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UPDATE MANAGER". It shows two progress bars, but nothing ever happens. Why is this window popping up every tiem I turn on the computer and how do I get it to stop? It never used to do this, it just statred lately. Thankyou. tony Because you installed something which features an update manager "Omaha Tony" <OmahaTony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A08659C0-1560-4E8C-8A1C-76A5B1DBB1F8@microsoft.com... > Everytime I boot up my PC a small window pops up entitled "UP...

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

Re: Update for Windows Vista (KB980248) -- No more fonts available!
cf. http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistawu/thread/f7fa37ca-683c-4be1-b4ad-ab2dd1249399 PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote: > Are you running Vista SP1 or Vista SP2? Is Office 2010 installed? > > Was KB980248 offered & eventually installed via Windows Update or did you > (attempt to) install it manually? > > What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your > subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than > Defender)? > What third-party firewall (if any)? > > Has a(another) Norton or McAfee ap...

Junk "Microsoft" emails - Possible Partial Solution
Like a lot of people on these forums, I've been bombarded with virused / junk email from "Microsoft" , "MS" etc. I can telnet to my www provider and use Pine set up a rule to delete all emails where the sender is "Microsoft", and this would help a lot. The problem is the "Deleting" is not the same in Pine as "Expunging", so, in the end, my Outlook winds up downloading the Deleted messages. The tech support there does not have an answer for this one. Is there a way in Pine to set up a rule to "Expunge" rather than "Delete&...

Outlook 2000 doesn't respond after downloading MS update!!
Luckily, my Outlook Express seems to work, but my Outlook 2000 will open, but if I click on a message or do Anything, it FREEZES. HELP!! I rely on calendar functions, other things. HOW could MS allow an update that screws up their own programs? I did restore - to no avail. I lent CD to someone, so can't do "repair." (Trying to get a hold of friend) Please help! I'm in process of job hunt & really need Outlook to function... Thanks, Sherry Did you recently apply SP3 for Office/Outlook 2000 and is Outlook 2000 configured in Internet Mail Only mode? If yes, you...

can't update office xp
I can't download the latest updates for office xp. I get a "hotfix" error. I also can't have microsoft check my computer for installed updates. it just tells me that my computer is unable to communicate with microsoft. >-----Original Message----- >I can't download the latest updates for office xp. I get >a "hotfix" error. I also can't have microsoft check my >computer for installed updates. it just tells me that my >computer is unable to communicate with microsoft. >. >guess no one has any reply to this, should I reload outloo...

what is the name of a sub form download from microsoft website
i need to add a sub form to a form created in access. i tried to start the wizard but the feature is not currently installed. i try to install but it is looking for a disk for me to insert. i do not have a disk to insert. can i go to microsoft website and download the sub form feature for access? if yes, what is the name of the download. Are you sure it is not installed? Open your main form in design view. Click the Toolbox button in the menu at the top. There are two buttons at the top of the Toolbox, an Arrow and a wand. Is the Wand highlighted. If not, click on it then click on th...

Need help with update sql plus filter
I have the following update sql (copied from the query design view) UPDATE ListQry SET ListQry.ApprovalStatusID = [Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] WHERE (((ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)<[Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] And (ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)>-1) AND ((ListQry.OtherStatusID)>300)) OR (((ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)<[Forms]![OpeningForm]![Responsibility] And (ListQry.ApprovalStatusID)>-1) AND ((ListQry.OtherStatusID) Is Null)); ApprovalStatusID is an integer OtherStatusID is an integer ListQry is the recordsource for my form. I would like to add the f...

Excel link update question
I need to maintain an excel workbook which contains a lot of links to other workbooks. Since the linked workbooks change every week, I need to change all the links accordingly. For example, a cell with formula "='[aug_28.xls]sheet1' !A10" will be changed into "='[sep_4.xls]sheet1'!A10". I tried to do this with Find/Replace. However, the link is updated every time it is changed. The link updating takes a couple of seconds. So it may take a hour to finsh it for a workbook with thousands of links. Could anyone tell me how to shut down the link updating when...

Update Query
Access 2003 XP SP2 I am having a problem with an update query. Table is in a one-to-one relationship, referentail integrity and cascading data are checked. (The fileds I want to update are not in both tables) Table name= payForward Has 15 fields ie: ID, Name, MemID, Oct , Nov, Dec, etc Oct-Sep fields are yes/no type I want to "select" a field (Oct-Sep) via a query parameter and repalce "yes" with "no". Here is my query: UPDATE payForward SET [Enter month]=No The messages I get is 'operation must use an updateable query' Wh...

SP 1 & 2 Updates
I noticed that when I installed the SP 1 & 2 Updates, I could no longer get .zip, .doc, .htm, .exe attachments and anything like that (.jpg and .gif are no problem). Is there a way to enable attachments of other types to come through? I would like to install the Updates, but need to be able to receive attachments. Thanks for your help. ...

Microsoft Update 'left behinds'
Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows. While this will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and files that XP-Pro no longer needs? If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim some HD space? Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left behind' files? Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what i...

How do I lock a chart so it will not update?
That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in Excel but not all the data cells are used. Everytimg I open the chart it wants to update and I want it to stay the same. Any ideas on how to lock the chart? Hi Just a few ideas: You could lock the cells that are shown in the chart. Or you could copy the cells and paste as values (assuming formulas were used that update when other cells change). -- Wigi http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music "Locking a Chart" wrote: > That's the question. I have my data in Excel and the chart in ...

BofA Account not updating
My BofA credit card account is not updating in Money 2007 Deluxe. It has not updated since 16 May. Is anyone else having this problem? A call to MS has yielded no results... ...

Other problem with recent update that locks you out without product key
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I can't get into my Office anymore either until I locate my product key, but I'm also finding that I'm getting a sound stutter when I watch movies online with Netflix. This wasn't happening before the download and I don't get the stutter when I switch to Windows operating system. Is anyone else having this trouble and have you been able to fix it? Thanks. Hey !! I can't get into my Office anymore either until I locate my product key because on my mac, download updates come through automatically. ...

Exchange 2007 Mailbox Folder information not updating
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I am using Entourage 2008 Web Services Edition in an Exchange 2007 SP1 UR4 environment. I have only been using the Web Services Edition for about a week and prior to that I was using the regular Entourage 2008 client for four months. In any case, the problem I am about to describe occurs in both versions of Entourage 2008. <br><br>Recently my employer's executive group decided to implement Managed Folder Policies to assist in controlling mailbox size. I was the first to...

Set a reference to Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions (vbscript.dll)
In vba, how do you do that? Thank you. On Dec 1, 7:28=A0am, cate <catebekens...@yahoo.com> wrote: > In vba, how do you do that? > Thank you. Sorry, I had no idea how simple it was. Tools->References->[x] Microsoft VBScript Regular Expression 5.5 Its about halfway down Microsoft VBScript Regular Expressions 5.5 -- -John http://www.jmbundy.blogspot.com/ Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "cate" wrote: > In vba, how do you do that? > Thank you. > . > That's one way t...

Why Microsoft CRM
Hello, I am a Microsoft SBS2003 user looking into CRM. I can stay with the brand and install MS CRM1.2 Pro Suite and clients. Or, I can use an on-line, on-demand tool like salesforce.com. Why choose microsoft? Thanhk you. Mark There are a number of considerations when comparing CRM to salesforce.com. Here are a few to consider: Price: While the Professional Edition of salesforce.com is $65/user per month, the Enterprise Edition which allows things like advanced customization, integration with accounting and HR systems, and higher-end administration, is $125/user per month. But even...