Microsoft Update 'left behinds'

Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to
XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows.  While this
will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file
space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and
files that XP-Pro no longer needs?

If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim
some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left
behind' files?

Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the best
way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS days and know
how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is that there is some
better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd party utility.

Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where this
issue has already been written about would be deeply appreciated.
0
HenriK

HenriK wrote:
> Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update
> 'fixes' to XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and
> grows.  While this will be an elementary question to many, is some
> of this XP-Pro file space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the
> 'fixes' leave behind and files that XP-Pro no longer needs?
>
> If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to
> reclaim some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting
> these 'left behind' files?
>
> Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the
> best way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS
> days and know how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is
> that there is some better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd
> party utility.
> Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where
> this issue has already been written about would be deeply
> appreciated.

Clean up the machine.

If you are comfortable with the stability of your system, you can delete the
uninstall files for the patches that Windows XP has installed...
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
( Particularly of interest here - #4 )
( Alternative: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/xp_hotfix_backup.htm )

You can run Disk Cleanup - built into Windows XP - to erase all but your
latest restore point and cleanup even more "loose files"..

 How to use Disk Cleanup
 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310312

You can turn off hibernation if it is on and you don't use it..

When you hibernate your computer, Windows saves the contents of the system's
memory to the hiberfil.sys file. As a result, the size of the hiberfil.sys
file will always equal the amount of physical memory in your system. If you
don't use the hibernate feature and want to recapture the space that Windows
uses for the hiberfil.sys file, perform the following steps:

 - Start the Control Panel Power Options applet (go to Start, Settings,
Control Panel, and click Power Options).
 - Select the Hibernate tab, clear the "Enable hibernation" check box, then
click OK; although you might think otherwise, selecting Never under the
"System hibernates" option on the Power Schemes tab doesn't delete the
hiberfil.sys file.
 - Windows will remove the "System hibernates" option from the Power Schemes
tab and delete the hiberfil.sys file.

You can control how much space your System Restore can use...

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the System Restore tab.
3. Highlight one of your drives (or C: if you only have one) and click on
the "Settings" button.
4. Change the percentage of disk space you wish to allow..  I suggest moving
the slider until you have just about 1GB (1024MB or close to that...)
5. Click OK.. Then Click OK again.

You can control how much space your Temporary Internet Files can utilize...

Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to a
size between 64MB and 128MB..

- Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
- Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
- Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section, do the
  following:
 - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
 - Click on "Settings" and change the "Amount of disk space to use:" to
   something between 64MB and 128MB. (It may be MUCH larger right
   now.)
 - Click OK.
 - Click on "Delete Files" and select to "Delete all offline contents"
   (the checkbox) and click OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10
   minutes or more.)
- Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer, re-open Internet
  Explorer.

You can use an application that scans your system for log files and
temporary files and use that to get rid of those:

 Ccleaner (Free!)
 http://www.ccleaner.com/

Other ways to free up space..

SequoiaView
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/

JDiskReport
http://www.jgoodies.com/freeware/jdiskreport/index.html

Those can help you visually discover where all the space is being used.

In the end - a standard Windows XP installation with all sorts of extras
will not likely be above about 4.5GB to 9GB in size.  If you have more space
than that (likely do on a modern machine) and most of it seems to be used -
likely you need to copy *your stuff* off and/or find a better way to manage
it.

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
12/12/2009 5:34:45 PM
HenriK wrote:

> Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to
> XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows.  While this
> will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file
> space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and
> files that XP-Pro no longer needs?
>
> If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim
> some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left
> behind' files?
>
> Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the best
> way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS days and know
> how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is that there is some
> better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd party utility.
>
> Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where this
> issue has already been written about would be deeply appreciated.

How are you going to uninstall an update if something isn't left behind to
do the uninstall?  See all those "$<something>" folders under C:\Windows?
Mine occupy a total of 546MB (half a gigabyte).  You could delete them but
then you won't be able to uninstall the updates they represent.  Of course,
you can always decide to burn your bridges.  If you are that tight on free
disk space, deleting these undelete folders won't work for long since the
real solution is to get a bigger hard disk or another one.

There is also cataloging data to keep track of what updates and service
packs have been applied to your host (so the Windows Updates site knows what
you already have).
0
VanguardLH
12/12/2009 5:58:43 PM
HenriK wrote:
> Every time I download and install the latest Microsoft Update 'fixes' to
> XP-Pro, the file space taken up by XP-Pro grows and grows.  While this
> will be an elementary question to many, is some of this XP-Pro file
> space 'growth' being caused by stuff that the 'fixes' leave behind and
> files that XP-Pro no longer needs?
>
> If so, can these 'left behind' files be gotten rid of so as to reclaim
> some HD space?  Are there any pros and cons to deleting these 'left
> behind' files?
>
> Assuming that these 'left behind' files can be deleted, what is the best
> way to get rid of them?  I've been around since the MS-DOS days and know
> how to do MS-DOS file deletions, but my suspicion is that there is some
> better way to deal with the issue such as a 3rd party utility.
>
> Any commentary, advice, suggestions, or pointers to somewhere where this
> issue has already been written about would be deeply appreciated.

Wow!  Thanks so much for the quick and comprehensive responses.  Reading
  these references and thoughts will be an education and a half.  You
guys are great!
0
HenriK

Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
I just got one of these. I'm running Windows Vista & have been using a wired Intellimouse. I installed the software & followed the installation instructions (I thought), but the wireless mouse & receiver (which the system reports is working normally) doesn't seem to do anything. The old mouse is still installed & connected & works. What should I do to get the new mouse working? Be gentle with me I'm not a computer wizard... Hi, spentbros. Since we can't see your computer and mouse, we'll need a lot more details to be able to guess at a pr...

Converting a Microsoft Word document to a PC document

For Russ Paul-Jones of Microsoft re the News Headlines
Russ, it has been several days since your post re Microsoft working on the problem regarding the news headlines on MS Money not opening, and they still don't open. Just wanted to let you know... Thanks. Getting back after the long weekend, it looks like it is working now, at least in Money 2006. Still having trouble? -- Russ Paul-Jones russpj@microsoft.com MS Money Product Unit Manager "Chuck" <chleven@msn.com> wrote in message news:OLEfXCJ8FHA.4084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Russ, it has been several days since your post re Microsoft working on the > pro...

Windows update site problems
So whats happening with the windows update site ?I keep getting a message telling me there is a problem with the web page (am trying to update new installation of XP Home),is it me or the site,and when will it be sorted out? -- Be happy,Strat4axe "stat4axe" <strat4axe@hotmail.com(donotspam)> wrote in message news:36618CFD-EF82-4F82-A7C3-90CF2DDCCEA5@microsoft.com... > So whats happening with the windows update site ?I keep getting a message > telling me there is a problem with the web page (am trying to update new > installation of XP Home),is it me o...

Updating Boolean Field with onChange
I am having difficulty with setting a value of a new boolean field using the OnChange scripting against a picklist. If anyone has some sample code / formatting information that I can use it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I also need to know if it is possible to stop the default value for the Revenue (isrevenuesystemcalculated) field on the opportunity form being set to "Yes" when the "Convert Lead" function is used. We can set the default value to "No" for user created Opportunities but when Convert Lead is used it seems to ignore the default value. Again, a...

RE: Use that security update
--dedtgpho Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="yzkfzsfqtv"; type="multipart/alternative" --yzkfzsfqtv Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="qeviqcxczwaquy" --qeviqcxczwaquy Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now to hel...

Microsoft Excel Help
Why are they called arguments when creating an Excel function? i need to no for a Excel test! what makes them arguments? Hi if you mean the 'parameteres' of a function how would you call them otherwise :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "martz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0b2601c4d8e5$c05f7bd0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Why are they called arguments when creating an Excel > function? i need to no for a Excel test! what makes them > arguments? ...

why is my product key not accepted by microsoft
product key is d9qcg mjphx kjwpy bqjdy mgkk3 I am trying to upgrade my microsoft word, Product Keys never use lower case letters. Try calling Microsoft at the activation number listed in the software. Also, your question may be better answered in a newsgroup appropriate to your problem. This newsgroup is dedicated to the Microsoft Access database product. The Microsoft website may have misdirected you. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "len hussey" <len hussey@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Last day of posting via Microsoft server
Well, I guess this is the last day of posting via the Microsoft server. http://www.teranews.com/ Your own free account ($3.95 one time setup fee) that allows posting or use public.teranews.com without an account (no posting & speed capped). You can use any standard news client you choose to read and post to any newsgroup. Or Google it: http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&q=microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion&qt_s=Search God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto:BillHughes@billhughes.com http://www.billhughes.com/jeep_bookmark.htm "D...

Too many problems while updating information online
Several of my accounts are unable to update information online using MS Money 2007 Deluxe - ING Direct - Bestbuy Card (HSBC) - MBNA - Bank of America This is frustrating!! Anyone else with the same problems? Just keep trying, eventually it will work. If you're in a bind, download the QIF or OFX files from the institutions web sites -- B of A works better that way anyway :) Paul McKenna <Paul McKenna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Several of my accounts are unable to update information online using MS Money >2007 Deluxe > >- ING Direct >- Bestbuy Card (HSBC...

Outlook 2003 Folder & Favorite-folder synch/update problems
I've been using Outlook since 1998 and I make my living at software support, so I'm usually hard to stump, but I'm sucking wind on this one. The problems below all started on the remote Outlook copy, so I have to imagine they're connected to the remote setup and OST files. But I've been through the settings and tried to re-synch, cleared the folder store and recreated it, etc., and nothing seems to correct the problems. Can anyone suggest a systematic way to diagnose and fix what's happening? Here's the story: I'm running Outlook 2003 (all current patches: ...

By: deesom In: microsoft.public.dynamics.gp.developer
I do have an unusual situation - and I really do need your help, urgently: I have a gravel road infrasture asset (GRDS-0001 with suffix 1). It has a Net Book Value of $ 1,200,000. This gravel road was paved over at a cost of $ 750,000. The asset is no longer a gravel road, and the transformed asset needs to be classified as a new asset, for example , with an asset ID of PRDS-0001(suffix 1). How would I properly create and record this new asset, with the cost of $ 1,950,000, and still preserve the history of the old asset (GRDS-0001), that no longer exists. I did not feel comfortable ...

getting the error when updating file xls file.
Hi. We are using exchange 2003 server and office XP but know we start to Upgrade our office to office 2003 Know we are face problem. When our user try to make changes to file in public folder there can not make the changes it say “file is read only” but that user can make the changes or edit that same file from the P.C were office XP is installed. Do I have to install some patch if yes can you please send that patch because in trying from last two day and I can not find it. Note: If possible can you reply on parag.lopes@madinatjumeirah.com Just a guess... Are you s...

Comments entered on Task Updates to Manager: Where does it get sto
There is a checkbox option on the My Tasks page for team members to select and send comments about task updates to their managers. Anyone know where these task comments can be reviewed other than when the PM opens it up to approve? It does not seem to be retained anywhere like the Notes get retained. Hi Kahuna, PM can see the comments with Approvals -> Task Updates -> Go To -> Applied Requests and Errors, clicking on the task name. The approval history is listed there including comments. A team member can see them with clicking in the task name in 'My Tasks&#...

Text box jumps to left of page
Word 2004 (I am relatively new to Word and am delighted to find a forum specifically for the Mac version. There are a number of unresolved, niggling issues I can live however they slow the workflow. I am eager to learn.) In the recent past, I manually converted 12,000+ recipes from WordPerfect 7 to Word. Since Word 2004 does not have a filter for the old files, the conversion was done on the Windows side of my Mac in Word2003. Those files _usually_ open without protest also in 2004. One annoyance regards text boxes. When text was highlighted and a text box was requested for it in...

Fragments Left after running XP Defrag Program
Ran Defrag and had two 'Fragments' reported (last two lines of the log print). One was for 6156 Fragments and one was for 7030 Fragments; the first file is 1.51 GB and the second is 2.00 GB, and both are 'buried' deep in \Documents and Settings\Bill & Peggy\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\25C08628.........\Microsoft\Outlook Express\ and both files are .dbx files. Question: These files are apparently taking up 3.5 GB of HD Space; can I delete them? I do not use Outlook Express although I have in the past, but now am using exclusively MSN for both my ...

Microsoft RMS and PC Charge
I know that Microsoft works with 4 acquiring banks to do integrated credit card processing. It looks as if Microsoft will work with PC Charge as well. Is this correct? If so- are there any hiccups/differences/things to be aware of if the client chooses PC Charge for EDC? Thanks, Andrea Microsoft not only works with the 4 prefered aquirer banks but any bank that is able to process using the Vital or VisaNet networks. There are some hiccups with using PC Charge, do a search for 'PC Charge' on previous posts. Check out the post on : Thursday, November 03, 2005 4:33 AM By: Jeff Titl...

Microsoft
Microsoft - ARE YOU LISTENING? 1/2. PLEASE DO THIS!!!!! You need to display a flag when the "Process thru EDC" box is not checked. Inform the cashier that the transaction is not being processed; do they want to continue? Look on the newsgroups to see how many retailers have lost credit card revenue because this box was not checked and not discovered until much later. Since all the card numbers are masked (as they should be) there is not a chance that we can recoup these losses. Yes, this did happen to me; and yes, I lost a lot of money. 1. Please make all input fields co...

Update from Money 2007 Premium
I currently use Money 2007 Premium. I plan on installing Money Plus Deluxe. They look to be pretty much the same. Will anything be lost going from 2007 Premium to Plus Deluxe? Thanks, Bob K The services provided by Premium. (Gainskeeper, et al.) "Bob K" <BobK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8C0C34A6-F03E-49AC-8B54-BAFF63BC538A@microsoft.com... > Will anything be lost going from 2007 > Premium to Plus Deluxe? "Dick Watson" wrote: > The services provided by Premium. (Gainskeeper, et al.) > > "Bob K" <BobK@discus...

can't download email after MS updates
I'm using Outlook 2000 with Win XP Pro and I was able to download all my emails from my POP3 server, but coincidentally after doing the windows regular updates yesterday the Outlook doesn't download the emails. Although I can do send...I don't get any errors or dialog boxes for promts when i do send & receive. Thanks, Ik. Can you turn on diagnostic logging (see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q240347) and post the POP3Log.txt file? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers n...

UPDATE KB979202 MS silverlight problem
Hello, I was able to have all updates install, but i'm stuck with this KB979202. When I install it, a box popup (windows Installer) and ask for "enter path to folder containing installlation package silverlight.msi". ??? I try to uninstall silverlight and same message appear and ask for silverlight.msi?? Can anyone help? Thank in advance. By the way, I'm using Windows XP SP3 PRO. "powersupply" <powersupplydot007@gmaildotcom> ���g��l��s�D:O0dCAgz%23KHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I was able to have all updates i...

Microsoft support for MFC42 and Visual C++
Has Microsoft made any announcements on whether it intends to limit or stop support of MFC42 and Visual C++ 6.0 ? Thank so much. rgs424 wrote: > Has Microsoft made any announcements on whether it intends to limit or stop > support of MFC42 and Visual C++ 6.0 ? Thank so much. rgs424: VC6 itself is no longer supported, and I would be very surprised if there will be any updates of its MFC DLL's. However, VC6 apps will continue to run fine, even on Vista. The main problems for VC6 are 1. The outdated compiler and C++ standard library. 2. The fact that it cannot be used with P...

How to remove Quotes update
Money Plus When i do online updates how can i remove Quotes updates. Now i have to uncheck them everytime. Is there a way to make it unchecked ? In microsoft.public.money, desgnr wrote: >Money Plus >When i do online updates how can i remove Quotes updates. >Now i have to uncheck them everytime. >Is there a way to make it unchecked ? > Are you saying that Portfolio->UpdatePrices->PickQuotesToDownload is not remembering that you cleared the box? A sure-fire way to make a security not do a price update is to remove its symbol. How do i remove the symbol ? "Cal ...

Microsoft Office Student 2007 activation issues
I have recently installed Windows 7 and have had to reinstall my microsoft office program. The installation went through correctly, no problems there. My problem is with activating it. I go through the activation and choose to convert to the full product right away as I have a product key for a full version. I put the product key in and accept it. I choose my options and then it goes to configuration. The configuration goes through correctly and then I get prompted to restart all microsoft office programs for the changes to go through. I do that and then it prompts me to activate...

Reminders behind other windows
Why do all of my reminders, email notification, etc. popup behind the other windows I have open instead of in front? Thanks ...