Making the default printer, the true default

I have an HP that is set in XP as the default printer; I also often
save a doc as a PDF, which means using the print function and
selecting CutePDF as my "printer."

Is there any way of getting XP to recognize the HP as my default
printer every time? I find that after selecting CutePDF to "print" a
page (in reality, it doesn't print, but just gets saved as a PDF),
that the next time I do a quick print in MS Word, that Windows thinks
I want to save as PDF again, and I have to click out of that dialog
and find the HP printer.  How can I get Windows to always think that I
want to print to my HP, unless I explicitly tell it otherwise for each
job?
0
PRR

"PRR" <psaulm119@aim.com> wrote in message

> Is there any way of getting XP to recognize the HP as my default
> printer every time? I find that after selecting CutePDF to "print" a
> page (in reality, it doesn't print, but just gets saved as a PDF),
> that the next time I do a quick print in MS Word, that Windows thinks
> I want to save as PDF again, and I have to click out of that dialog
> and find the HP printer.  How can I get Windows to always think that I
> want to print to my HP, unless I explicitly tell it otherwise for each
job?

Windows / Printers has a setting for "Default Printer," to which only
one print output may be set.   If your HP is already marked as the
Default Printer, it is worth uninstalling it and reinstalling it (as
Default Printer) in case this solves your problem -- which may be
caused by unprogrammed interactions between MS Word and
CutePDF.  If it does not cure the problem, you might look for a
diifferent PDF writer.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

0
Don
1/30/2010 7:14:00 PM
PRR wrote:
> I have an HP that is set in XP as the default printer; I also often
> save a doc as a PDF, which means using the print function and
> selecting CutePDF as my "printer."
>
> Is there any way of getting XP to recognize the HP as my default
> printer every time? I find that after selecting CutePDF to "print" a
> page (in reality, it doesn't print, but just gets saved as a PDF),
> that the next time I do a quick print in MS Word, that Windows thinks
> I want to save as PDF again, and I have to click out of that dialog
> and find the HP printer.  How can I get Windows to always think that I
> want to print to my HP, unless I explicitly tell it otherwise for each
> job?

AFAIK, no. It's a function of the application from which you're
"printing," in this case, Word. However ... you can create an icon that
will print to a specific printer: http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm

Note that the author of that site, Graham Mayor, is very knowledgeable
about Word. However, his statement that "Word will normally print to the
default Windows printer, though you can set an alternative 'active
printer' which will remain the printer Word prints to for the current
session, or until changed to another" is contrary to both my experience
with Word 2003 and, apparently, your experience with whatever version of
Word you have.

If this doesn't work for your version of Word, or if you have further
related questions, try posting in the Word general questions group:
microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
Lem
1/30/2010 7:23:46 PM
Graham's macro takes almost 30 seconds to start printing--and this is
when the target printer is still the default one.  That's a bit too
much time, as I can go the regular route sooner than that. Thanks
anyways.

On Jan 30, 11:23=A0am, Lem <lemp40@unknownhost> wrote:
> PRR wrote:
> > I have an HP that is set in XP as the default printer; I also often
> > save a doc as a PDF, which means using the print function and
> > selecting CutePDF as my "printer."
>
> > Is there any way of getting XP to recognize the HP as my default
> > printer every time? I find that after selecting CutePDF to "print" a
> > page (in reality, it doesn't print, but just gets saved as a PDF),
> > that the next time I do a quick print in MS Word, that Windows thinks
> > I want to save as PDF again, and I have to click out of that dialog
> > and find the HP printer. =A0How can I get Windows to always think that =
> > want to print to my HP, unless I explicitly tell it otherwise for each
> > job?
>
> AFAIK, no. It's a function of the application from which you're
> "printing," in this case, Word. However ... you can create an icon that
> will print to a specific printer:http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm
>
> Note that the author of that site, Graham Mayor, is very knowledgeable
> about Word. However, his statement that "Word will normally print to the
> default Windows printer, though you can set an alternative 'active
> printer' which will remain the printer Word prints to for the current
> session, or until changed to another" is contrary to both my experience
> with Word 2003 and, apparently, your experience with whatever version of
> Word you have.
>
> If this doesn't work for your version of Word, or if you have further
> related questions, try posting in the Word general questions group:
> microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
> --
> Lem
>
> Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/40th/in=
dex.html

0
PRR

FillSolidRect does not print on ink jet printers!
Hi, I hit a strange point about FillSolidREct and InkJet printers. FillSolidREct does not print on this printers (at least HP 1220C), but FillRect prints ok. Does anybody know why there is this problem ? thanks, Behzad // this is a small sample that shows it: CBrush B1,*B0; B1.CreateSolidBrush(0x0ff8080); B0=pDC->SelectObject(&B1); CPoint O1(8000,-5000); CRect R(O1.x,O1.y,O1.x+4000,O1.y-1000); pDC->FillSolidRect(R,0x0ff8080); // this does not appear on ink jet printer R1+=CSize(4000,-4000); pDC->FillRect(R,&B1); // this appears pD...

Public folder default action
When you drag messages between public folders, the default action is "copy". Is there a way I can make that default action "move" instead? ...

How to find default property for particular object.
Hi, is there a way how to identify default property for given object. E.g., I know default property for range object is value. Where can I find the default property for other objects? Thanks Alojz Hi, AFAIK, the only default property for an Excel object is 'value'. If an object doesn't have a value property then it also doesn't have a default property. Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still sufficiently answering the question. "Alojz" wrote: > Hi, ...

Unable to open your default e-mail folders outlook 2003
I have searched a long time an answer to this and have found many others with similar problems. Brand new machine (happens on all new machines we've tested), Office 2003, trying to connect to an existing Exchange Server 2003, we get the following message: Unable to open your default e-mail folders. You must connect to your Microsoft Exchange Server computer with the current profile before you can synchronize your folders with your offline folder file. On another machine, with Outlook 2000, we it works fine. We created a new test user. Worked fine from machine with Outlook 2000, ...

Default Colors
How do I chenge the default colors used when charts are created (i.e. the Color Palette)? Tools>Options>Color "Chart Fills" Modify>Custom Tools>Options>Color "Chart Lines" Modify>Custom Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:38:02 -0700, "S.Jonsson" <jonsson@printecsystems.de> wrote: >How do I chenge the default colors used when charts are >created (i.e. the Color Palette)? > ...

Changing default browser
Hello, I'm wondering how to change the default browser so when I click on hyperlinks in Word, Excel, and OneNote they automatically open in Firefox. Is there a way to do this? Currently they all open in IE, which I have on my computer but don't prefer to use. Thanks very much! This would be a question for a Firefox forum, as Office settings have nothing to do with the default browser. However, since I have Firefox.... On the menu, choose: Tools Options Advanced Check "Always check to see if Firefox is the default browser on startup" Also click "...

How to make a workflow wait until the next 600AM, or the next Mond
Has anyone figured out houw to make a work flow wait untill a specific time of day, regardless of the date? ie: I want to send an email out at 6AM, but I don't care what date, just the next time it's 6AM. As a follow up, how about waiting till Monday if its during a weekend. -- Thanks, Steve Noe, MCBMSP(2xCRM), MCT(CRM), MCTS-SQL www.bizitpro.com On Feb 14, 10:48=A0am, Steve Noe <Steve...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Has anyone figured out houw to make a work flow wait untill a specific ti= me > of day, regardless of the date? ie: I want to send an email out a...

how to make cell content to flash
I need content (text) of the cell to flash under certain conditions. I know how to do it in Word, can't find it in Excel. Sorry, Woytek - Excel does not support Animated Text. Regards |:<( "Woytek" wrote: > I need content (text) of the cell to flash under certain conditions. > I know how to do it in Word, can't find it in Excel. It can be done using VBA code but its a really bad idea.It produces jerky unpredictable flashing and while its running nothing at all else can be done until its stopped. Its nothing like the built in function in Word. My advice is to ...

making your own menus on excel?
Is it possible? I'd like to make one where you can open up various submenus, and eventually select an option that has a macro attached....(like eg the 'all programs' menu that branches off the 'start' option on windows. SURELY that's possible! Cheers, Tom -- TAL27 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ TAL27's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30145 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498749 Here is an example Option Explicit 'If you put code in th...

Trying to make a duplicate roster with a button.
Previously posted in wrong forum. 'HERE' (http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?t=265167) Thanks for the help guy -- virte ----------------------------------------------------------------------- virtex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1488 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26517 ...

change default fill color
I have been searching the net and the KB but can not find answer or solution to this problem. I want my excel cell auto fill color to default to light grey instead of yellow. Is this possible? And if so, how do I do it? Thanks for any help you can provide. Shawn You can create a new default template, with grey as the default fill colour: Create a new, blank workbook. Choose Tools>Options On the Colour tab, click on the yellow square Click Modify, select light grey that you want to use as the default, click OK To make yellow available, select the light grey square, and change it t...

How do I set the printer margins in Publisher?
I'm trying to print a brochure, but I'm having trouble with the left margin. In the design view I can set the margins and layout the graphics and text exactly as I want. But in the print preview, or actually printing, there is about a 3/4" margin on the left. (No problems with the right, top or bottom margins: they are about 1/4" each.) Please do not tell me this is a printer limitation. This problem does NOT occur in Word, Excel or PowerPoint--only in Publisher! (By the way, why doesn't Publisher have the nice drag-n-drop margins that Word and Excel have?) I am no...

How to make a Sales Process Die?
We had a sales process set up, and then decided it was not what we wanted. I deactivated it, and deleted it in workflow manager. Unfortunately, the opportunities set up under this process cannot be dissassociated form the Sales process, and there doesn't seem to be any way to purge the Sales process from these records. It also causes some strange results on the Opportunity by sales stage reports. Anyone know how to purge a Sales process Completely from the system?? Thanks Only way around this would be to recreate the opportunities. I do not know what affect deleting the sa...

MDA Creating Analysis Defaults
Does anyone have a suggestion on a faster or automated approach to creating Analysis defaults? I have over 2000 GL accounts that I need to assigned one or more Groups IDs to. Amanda, Here goes an idea: 1) Record a GP macro for the first analysis default. 2) Create a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet with the accounts you need to assign -- hint, you can export the accounts with SmartList to Excel 3) Use Microsoft Word to create a mail merge on the macro. Use the Excel spreadsheet as the source for your mail merge. 4) Edit the merged macro to extract special characters and what's not plac...

How to create a default footer for all my spreadsheets?
Using Office XP - I work with Excel every day. I like to insert a footer containing the filename, date, and page #'s on each of my spreadsheets. Is there a way that I can create a default footer that will appear on each of my spreadsheets (especially new spreadsheets) without having to go into each spreadsheet individually like I'm doing now? Thanks for the response, but I don't have a Normal.xlt file. Before I posted my question here in this discussion group, I tried using Help in Excel. I tried following the instructions to "Save styles to use in new workbooks...

Exmerge creates default PST Files
I'm running exmerge(ver. 6.5.7529.0). It shows all the mailboxes with the proper size, but when I run exmerge, it creates the pst files to the default size of 32K. Any suggestions of what i am doing wrong? On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:29:03 -0700, Petlab <Petlab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm running exmerge(ver. 6.5.7529.0). It shows all the mailboxes with the >proper size, but when I run exmerge, it creates the pst files to the default >size of 32K. Any suggestions of what i am doing wrong? In other words, empty? Check the exmerge.ini log for details why the...

Make outlook default mail client
How do I make sure the Outlook is my default mail client? I'm using Outlook 2000 SR-1 Thanks, Brendan -- Disclaimer: Any comments made are personal and do not reflect the thoughts or policies of this company. Control Panel - Internet Options - Programs - pick Outlook. Brendan MAther wrote: > How do I make sure the Outlook is my default mail client? I'm using > Outlook 2000 SR-1 > > Thanks, > Brendan thankyou "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message news:#D14B8OwDHA.3196@TK2MSFTNGP...

Inserting default value in part of input mask
I have a DB where user enters CourseName and Then CourseNumber (Primary key and Unique).. I run a code to check and display a custom error message if the value in CourseNumber is duplicate. The CourseName are actually abbreviations like AFF or PSCRB, or MFA etc... CourseNumber contains three parts i.e. CourseSerialNumberInCurrentyear +CourseName+last2digitsofCurrentYrneeds for example 001AFF09 or 029MFA09 or 010MFA10.. because of different user using the db they enter the same course no. in different formats like 001AFF09 or 001AFF2009 or 001/AFF/09 or AFF/ 001/09 and so many w...

Default Printer-Wrong Printer
Is there a way to change the printer automatically on a per application basis. Our default printer is a HP LJ 6, However 2 users also need to have access to another printer (check printer). When they are in Great Plains they will only be printing to check printer. They keep forgetting to change it from file/print and printing on the wrong printer. Also I do not need to change the default printer(hplj6) this most stay as is. Is there a regkey i can invoke or script to launch when they start GreatPlains they will change the printer to checkprinter. Now when ever they reboot and sta...

making forms in word
I want to create an application in Word that can be sent to others wherein they can type their answers on the lines provided. Do I make a template? or data entry form? I've not done this type of project before so I need clear direction Thanks Shari H wrote: > I want to create an application in Word that can be sent to others > wherein they can type their answers on the lines provided. Do I make > a template? or data entry form? I've not done this type of project > before so I need clear direction Thanks See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/LinesI...

How do I make multi column stacked graphs in Excel
-- Ed Hi, See the links on Jon's page for Cluster Stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Ed B wrote: ...

Graceful Method Of Making Single Record Non-Editable?
I've got a continuous list subform. One of the rows is identified by !IsBuyDependent=True. I want this row, but none of the others tb non-editable. My best shot so far is: -------------------------------------- Private Sub txtResetDate_Enter() With Me If .txtIsBuyDependent = True Then Beep .txtDummy.SetFocus End If End With End Sub ------------------------------------- Where .txtDummy is an unbound field with .BackStyle and .BorderStyle = Transparent; ..TabStop=False - sitting over top of a percent label on the same line. Screen snap at http://tinyurl.com/37m...

My color printer only prints black.
Greyscale is not selected. The print is in color on the page, but when I look at it in print preview it is black. And it only prints black in this program. I prints fine in color in Wordpad. Thanks Some HP printers will preview in greyscale but will print in color in Publisher 2007. My suggestion would be to check with the manufacturer's web site of your printer for an updated driver. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Cyclist" <Cyclist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A1F0C4-DE74-456A-B3B0-84EAF6224284@microsoft.com... > Greyscale is n...

default user in "manage full access permission"
I'm trying to see the member of "manage full access permission". For all my users, in my exchange 2007 enviroment, I see that instead of username or group name ther is SID. Is normal? What are the default group or user that must exist? Thank you On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 05:47:31 -0700 (PDT), big <d.digrego@gmail.com> wrote: >I'm trying to see the member of "manage full access permission". >For all my users, in my exchange 2007 enviroment, I see that instead >of username or group name ther is SID. >Is normal? It is if the account's n...

Resetting default client
Hi, I messed up and allowed Yahoo email to become my default email client. How do I change it back so MS Outlook is the default? Thank you! Open Internet Explorer and select Tools | Internet Options | Programs tab. Drop to set the default mail client is near the top. "stuff" <Howie@*S*P*A*M*AetosCentric.COM> wrote in message news:u0YXvrjqEHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I messed up and allowed Yahoo email to become my default email client. > > How do I change it back so MS Outlook is the default? > > Thank you! > > > Thank y...