key board typing incorrect characters

my Sony Vaio laptop has been typing strange characters when I try to type,
even when you press backspace it prints some weird characters..how can I fix
it. ?

Max wrote:
> my Sony Vaio laptop has been typing strange characters when I try to type,
> even when you press backspace it prints some weird characters..how can I
> fix
> it. ?

Plug in an external (USB) laptop.  Start using it.  Any 'strange'
characters?

If so - what are your keyboard regional settings set at (what should they
be)?

--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP

Shenan
1/31/2010 10:38:01 PM
thnks for the response.
strange characters in a sense that it when you type an alphabet it types a
number..looks like the key board setting is messed up..
I am trying to reset my keyboard settings (regional setting US/North
America) but don't know how to do it.

Max wrote:
> thnks for the response.
> strange characters in a sense that it when you type an alphabet it
> types a number..looks like the key board setting is messed up..
> I am trying to reset my keyboard settings (regional setting US/North
> America) but don't know how to do it.

Look at the keys. Does the "O" also have a "2" (or similar)?

Turn off the numlock. See the manual.

0
HeyBub

Max wrote:
> thnks for the response.
> strange characters in a sense that it when you type an alphabet it types a
> number..looks like the key board setting is messed up..
> I am trying to reset my keyboard settings (regional setting US/North
> America) but don't know how to do it.

Is it just the U, I, O, P; J, K, L; M, <, > keys?

If so - is NUMLOCK off?

Also - you never said what happens when you plug in a USB keyboard...

Google is friendly. ;-)
http://www.google.com/search?q=choose+keyboard+layout+in+Windows+XP

I like:
http://www.conversationexchange.com/resources/keyboard-language.php#xp

  1.. Click Start and then Control Panel
  2.. In Control Panel, if you are in Category View, click on Switch to
Classic View (top left corner)
  3.. Open Regional and Language Options.
  4.. Click on the Languages tab.
  5.. Under Text services and input languages, click on the Details button.
  6.. Under Installed services, click Add.
  7.. In the Add Input Language dialog box, choose the input language and
keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME) you want to add.
  8.. Click OK twice. You should now see a language indicator in the System
Tray (located at bottom right hand corner of the desktop by default). You
can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by
pressing the Alt + Shift keys
--
Shenan Stanley
     MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Shenan
1/31/2010 11:58:50 PM
thnks the two of you...I got it fixed..yes it was the numlock...

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Max wrote:
> > my Sony Vaio laptop has been typing strange characters when I try to type,
> > even when you press backspace it prints some weird characters..how can I
> > fix it?
>
> Shenan Stanley wrote:
> > Plug in an external (USB) laptop.  Start using it.
> > Any 'strange' characters?
> >
> > If so - what are your keyboard regional settings set at
> > (what should they be)?
>
> Max wrote:
> > thnks for the response.
> > strange characters in a sense that it when you type an alphabet it types a
> > number..looks like the key board setting is messed up..
> > I am trying to reset my keyboard settings (regional setting US/North
> > America) but don't know how to do it.
>
> Is it just the U, I, O, P; J, K, L; M, <, > keys?
>
> If so - is NUMLOCK off?
>
> Also - you never said what happens when you plug in a USB keyboard...
>
> Google is friendly. ;-)
> http://www.google.com/search?q=choose+keyboard+layout+in+Windows+XP
>
> I like:
> http://www.conversationexchange.com/resources/keyboard-language.php#xp
>
>   1.. Click Start and then Control Panel
>   2.. In Control Panel, if you are in Category View, click on Switch to
> Classic View (top left corner)
>   3.. Open Regional and Language Options.
>   4.. Click on the Languages tab.
>   5.. Under Text services and input languages, click on the Details button.
>   6.. Under Installed services, click Add.
>   7.. In the Add Input Language dialog box, choose the input language and
> keyboard layout or Input Method Editor (IME) you want to add.
>   8.. Click OK twice. You should now see a language indicator in the System
> Tray (located at bottom right hand corner of the desktop by default). You
> can switch between different input languages (= keyboard languages) by
> pressing the Alt + Shift keys
> --
> Shenan Stanley
>      MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
>

> .

copy paste cell character limit
Office 2K fully patched to latest updates. We have several Excel spreadsheets with cells that have several hundred words in each cell. 1) When we highlight the cell and press COPY then go to another cell and press PASTE in another spreadsheet not all of the words are pasted. 2) When we highlight the cell and press COPY then go to word and press PASTE all of the words are pasted in a text cell. 2) When we highlight the cell and press COPY then go to notepad and press PASTE all of the words are pasted. There are multiple cells that need to be moved but we cannot use method 2 or three becaus...

Create a combo chart with two of the same chart types
I'd like to create a combo chart to compare "plan" and "actual" figures over several years. I'd like to use 3-D Columns, but I'd like to indicate the components within each plan and actual figure, in a stacked 3-D column. I think what I'd like is a combo chart, with one 3-D column chart for plans figures, and a second 3-D column chart for actuals. Can I create a combo chart where both chart are the same chart type? > I'd like to create a combo chart to compare "plan" and "actual" figures over > several years. I'...

Transferspreadsheet + records w/non-unique keys inserted into new table:'Paste E
I would like to use Transferspreadsheet to append a large database but once duplicate values are recognized in any field that should hold unique values I would like to initiate an event that opens a message box that says something like,"Records that Microsoft Office Access was unable to paste have been inserted into a new table called 'Paste Errors.' and have that action performed. Can anyone help me with this? ...

Square-box character in data import
Hi, I've got a puzzling one. When importing a data file into Excel I see a square-box character at the end of each line. I've tried copying/cutting one of these characters to paste into the search/replace dialog, but nothing pastes and so I can't get rid of it. What do I do? I've got 9000 records, each with a multi-line entry for a mailing address in Column C and each of those lines (apart from the last for each record's mailing address) has this unwanted character. It's obviously the CrLf character created when I press the keyboard's Enter key... The original file...

Cursor Keys does not change cell focus
I use passwords to protect worksheets (leaving cells unprotected in which data is to be entered) and so I do not forget the password, I write the password in the last row of the last column (IV65536) then I protect the sheet. When the sheet is protected I then cannot use the cusor keys or rather the up/down/left/right arrow keys do not move the cell focus to the next cell of the unprotected cells. I can mouse click on the cell but that is a pain and I should be able to use the cursor keys. If I then delete the data in the last column/row I am still stuck with the problem. Is this an undocum...

Creating new attribute with Lookup as data type
I need to create a new attribute with Lookup as data type in the Account entity just like system Parent Account (parentaccountid) attribute in account entity, it would be great if I can just uplicate this system attribute. Since the new attribute (Dealer of Record) will be pointing to the same entity as parentaccountid, what is the best way go about doing this? Thanks. To achieve this you will have to create a new entity which will contain attributes you require and then you will have to set a many to one relationship between Account and your entity. After creating the entity y...

Product Key 04-02-10
After downloading MS Office 2007 Trial, I was excited to see OneNote and thought I could work with it to organize my digital images. When asked for the Product Key I had copied and pasted it, I was told it was invalid. I only remember being given one for the whole package. Do I need a separate Product Key for OneNote? OneNote comes as a stand-alone program as well as in the suite with Office 2007 Home and Student Edition and also with Office 2007 Ultimate Edition. If you have a product key for any other Office 2007 suite product, it will not work with OneNote. "jbm&...

can't find product key number
Publisher was already installed on my laptop when i bought it quite a while ago i want to use it now, but don't have a CD or key number how do i get a key number to get it started? Contact your laptop supplier who should have supplied the case with your laptop, or contact your local MS Office. -- ...

message with strange characters
I received in email from a friend but the characters are unrecognizable. There seems to be some Arabic letters. What can I do read it? If the text comes out with lots of square boxes buried in it then it could be Unicode. Part of the problem here is not knowing what version of Windows you both have. Both XP and ME have support for Unicode characters, but I'm certain that earlier versions as shipped didn't. Unicode is a character set that is designed to include all possible language and non-language characters in one character set. Think Chinese and you'll see how big the ...

Key Management Server functionality
I have some users in management concerned that IT staff are technically able to read their emails using the Exchange Administrator account (not that we do, but they don't like that we could). Will the proper setup and configuration of Key Management Server in Exchange 5.5 let those users send mail on our system that will be encrypted so that even someone using the Exchange Admin account won't be able to read them? Just want to know if that functionality is there already in 5.5, or if I need to be looking at 3rd party products. Thanks much, Phil Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on NT 4.0 SP...

Setting up a recurring fee for ASP type services
Our company has a web based service that our customers subscribe to for approx 3 years at a time. Additionally, each of our customers pays a different monthly fee. I'm wondering if anyone knows how to set up a product in CRM 3.0 that has a monthly income and can have a different price per customer. Additionally, is there a way to make this work with sales forcasts etc? ...

Same Primary Key in Different Tables
I'm new to Access and using Access 2003. I'm setting up my tables and have 2 questions. 1) I have a table for customer names. I set up Customer ID with Autonumber as the primary key. I want to use Customer ID in another table again as the primary key. Do I set it with Autonumber again or set it to Numerial? 2) If I use an input form to create a new customer, how does Customer ID actually get created? Thanks in advance for your help. To use the same CustomerID as primary key in another table, use a field of type Number. When you create a relation between your 2 tables (in...

Add an additional pay type in paycode setup for rolling down pay r
Currently you only have 3 pay types that can be based on an hourly code. Vacation, Sick and Holiday. It would be nice if there was one more pay type that could roll down pay rates such as a miscelaneous pay type. Vacation and Sick update the vacation/sick accrual window which only leaves Holiday for using with other pay codes. If they really aren't holiday (like they are funeral or Jury Duty) you wouldn't want to use a type called "Holiday." Also, Time Matrix uses holiday code to calculate overtime so if you setup thse other codes as "Holiday" it screws up yo...

Deleting shortcut key In Recording new Macros dialog box
I have recorded several new Macros and I am running out of shortcut key letters to put into the shortcut key box within the Record a new Macro dialog box. How could I delete the shortcut keys that I have already used to reuse again to record new Macros? One way: Choose Tools/Macro/Macros... Select a macro for which you want to delete the shortcut. Click Options... Clear the shortcut key input box. Click OK, then Cancel. In article <9DC795B4-1EBE-4685-94DF-CD79ABEAF45D@microsoft.com>, John <John@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have recorded several new Macros ...

Problem with Product Key for Office 2003 Basic Edition
A computer at my workplace has had the hard drive cleaned by an IT person. However, now we do not have our Microsoft Office on there. We have used the disc to reinstall the programs (we need Excel and Word) but when attempting to reinstall, it says the product key is invalid. I spoke with a Microsoft rep who said that the key is probably still active from when the computer was first setup. The suggested posting here for getting a regenerate key, otherwise we need to speak with a telephone technician who will charge a fee to do this. Can anyone here help with this problem? ...

Pivot Item Displaying Incorrect Value?
We have a pivot table, which has Project as pivot field 4. The Project pivot field has 3410 pivot items, of which number 842 is misbehaving. The project value for this item is 10537 , and when you drill to detail, that's what you get. Correctly. However, the .Name , .Caption, and .Value properties for this PivotItem all say 616 . In the pivot item drop down list, it's sorted right where 10537 should be, but it says 616 . Thoughts on why/how this would be? best I can tell, someone must have manually typed the 616 accidentally, and the pivot table is set to ac...

My home key isn't working in Office 7 apps.
New computer: Windows 7: in Word & Excel 2007 the home key and end key are taking me to the beginning and end of individual lines, but not to the start and end of the document as in XP and Office 2003. Control home and end go to the top of the next or previous page. Home key functions properly in browser. Help! I need these keys to work. Thanks! Hi FSS, The Home and End keys (on their own) are working as they should - Ctrl-Home and Ctrl-End should provide navigation to either end of the file. XP & Office 2003 was the same. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - ...

"Windows key + L" disables t s keys?
Hello everyone, Unsure if anyone has been faced with this small and anoying problem, but while using outlook 2003, every time i lock my pc using the windows key and L, and then unlocking it once i am back at my desk, the letters S T, and probably a few others stop working (keep in mind, only in outlook). The fast solution to the problem is to close outlook and open it again, or, lock the pc using Alt+Ctrl+Del.... Not a huge issue but wanted to see if anyone has seen this issue before and or if there is a fix for it. Thanks. ...

GP should let me assign a fuction key to a keyboard shortcut
Specifically, I would like to assign a function key to the CNTL+L lookup function. This ability would make transition from other software packages into Dynamics much easier. Additionally, the function keys are less key strokes and preferred by many users. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click &qu...

how many characters
Is there anything in word to show how many characters are in your document? Have had a couple of instances where after copying/pasting into a web form from word I have typed to many characters thanks Click on the Word Count space in the Status Bar (at the bottom of the window) and it will pop up a list of various statistics, including character counts with and without spaces. If the Word Count doesn't appear in the Status Bar, right-click on the status bar and add it. If you're not using Word2007, I can't tell you exactly how to get to the figure, but it'...

OWA displays incorrect (blue borders)
Can someone help? OWA users get strange views in Internet Explorer when creating a new mail. Thick blue borders around every button ...at the end, nothing is possible anymore. And what's more, this only occurs intermittent. There are no problems if we use another browser (like Mozilla) server: Exchange Server 2003 SP1 clients: Windows XP SP2 Thanks! ...

shortcut key question!
Can someone tell me what the shortcut key to paste values only? I thought it would be easy to find but it is proving to be elusive. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com This site has a good list of shortcut key combos. However, I don't believe there is a paste value only short cut. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/KeyboardShortcuts.htm You may want to try editing your toolbars and add a button for paste-special. Then all you would have to do is select values only and ok. >-----Original Message----- >Can someone tell me what the shortcut key to paste values only? &...

DataSet.ReadXml fails when a percentage (%) sign is in the filename followed by 2 hex characters
Using C# in .Net 2003, DataSet.ReadXml fails when a percentage (%) sign is in the filename followed by 2 hex characters. Seems that the % sign is likely encoding the following 2 hex characters. So c:\test%ab.xml fails for ReadXml since %ab is interpreted as 171 and c:\test171.xml does not exist. There is no problem with c:\test%mn.xml because "mn" is not a hex code. If I replace the % sign with %25 (25hex = 37dec = ascii code for %), the ReadXml function succeeds since it is interpreted as c:\test%ab.xml. So I had to write a workaround function to read a filename, replace any ...

ALERT: POSTS DISAPPEARING FROM COMMUNITY BOARD
There seem to be posts disappearing from the Community board -- Microsoft, can someone chime in? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com Yes, I made two posts this morning to an older topic that still haven't showed up!! Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT East Coast Dynamics www.eastcoast-dynamics.com Frank, I am using a standalone, non-microsoft newsreader (XanaNews). If you give me the subjects that you posted to, I will see if they came through at this end. -- Lyle U Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT wrote: > Ye...

Problem when adding new toolbar on NewInspector when editor type is Word
Hi, I am getting problem when i am trying to add new toolbar on NewInspector window of Outlook 2003. 1) I am able to add a new toolbar, but my first problem is that, this added toolbar is also gets visible/enable when i open the Word Application. That is the CommandBar of Word Application also gets modified when i modify the CommandBar of Inspector collection of Outlook 2003. 2) And my second problem is---- I have added the button on this new toolbar. It works fine for single instance of Inspector, but when there are multiple instance of Inspector then on click of button the f...