IN update purgatory and firewall balloon question

my computer keeps showing the little shield saying updates are ready to
install.
  I go to install-express or custom and these updates have failed over 20
times now, I've tried express and custom.   Also, when I go to shut down the
machine it says 1 of 2 updates are being installed.   These must be the same
two updates that fail over and over and over and slow down my dial up
connection terribly while trying to update.  The are Microsoft NET Framework
3.5 SP1 and 2.0 SP2 security updates. One is 20 some Mbs and on dial up would
take freaking forever but this has been going on for freaking forever, days
now.
How can I stop this madness?
Also, the firewall balloon pops up everytime I go online saying my firewall
is off only for me to go to my firewall settings and it says it ON !
sheeeze, what to do ?

Thanks !

See the "How to obtain help" section of, e.g.,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979909

(1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United
States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary.
There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with security
updates.  When you call, clearly state that your problem is related to a
Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB979909).

Or you can...

Start a free Windows Update support incident email request:

Customers who experience issues installing Microsoft security updates also
can visit the following page for assistance:

your usual support contacts.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Loveembirds wrote:
> my computer keeps showing the little shield saying updates are ready to
> install.
>  I go to install-express or custom and these updates have failed over 20
> times now, I've tried express and custom.   Also, when I go to shut down
> the
> machine it says 1 of 2 updates are being installed.   These must be the
> same
> two updates that fail over and over and over and slow down my dial up
> connection terribly while trying to update.  The are Microsoft NET
> Framework
> 3.5 SP1 and 2.0 SP2 security updates. One is 20 some Mbs and on dial up
> would take freaking forever but this has been going on for freaking
> forever, days now.
> How can I stop this madness?
> Also, the firewall balloon pops up everytime I go online saying my
> firewall
> is off only for me to go to my firewall settings and it says it ON !
> sheeeze, what to do ?
>
> Thanks !

0
PA

Can Update Office 11.0
I am trying to give Office a whirl on my powerbook however I need to upgrade to 11.1 for it to work with my ofices Lotus Notes e-Mail. When I try upgrading I get the 11002:2,-14 error I've heard talked about in this newsgroup. I've tried all the suggestions but still no luck. I tried repairing permisions, re-installing, turning of Entourage notifications. Nothing works! Please help. Haven't a clue. Previous threads didn't offer anything? Try re-downloading the update. Maybe previous updates haven't been run yet. Use Help | Check for Updates and let it tell you what...

Text to Columns from drop down list update
Hi I need to perform a Text to Column conversion from a drop down list, but I also need the extracted value to be updated if the value in the list is changed. eg: Drop down list has 2 values: 1. 4x16K 2. 8x8K If the user selects 1 I can easily extract out to another cell the value 1 using Text to columns, however if the user then changes the choice to 2 the text to columns extraction is not updated to 2. Is there a way to update changes in the original cell using text to columns? Or is there another way I can assign a value to a drop down menu choice in a different cell while havi...

Keeping the format but update the data
I have a report I run everyday. I want to update the data, but keep the column sizes and formatting. Any suggestions? Anybody suggest a good ebook to become more formuliar with excel? JoeM JoeM, this could be as simple as recording a macro during the formatting of the sheet after importing the data once. Then each day, after importing the new data, you simply run that macro. As for online eBook's for Excel, I'm not actually aware of any although I suspect a Google search would turn up several. It's hard to beat the "For Dummies..." series of hardcopy...

Usage Question
Hi, Not sure if this is the proper arena for this post, but.... Have a usage / functional question regarding Outlook, suspect this is a common problem with many... Here is the scenario: 1. Send an email to someone, do NOT copy the email to myself so it just goes in my sent mail. Here are two problems that arise out of this function: 1. If I am awaiting for a response / need a response to that email what is the BEST way to re-tickle myself if in fact a response to that email is not received? At this time I remember manually in some form a flag, task or just plain old memory. 2. Once ...

Date question 01-14-10
Can anyone help with this function: =IF[Date Parts Ordered Completed]+ [Date Part Completed]+[Date Purchasing Completed],not blank,=Date The goal is that is all three fields have a date in them, then put in today's date in the final field. If one of the dates is missing, then the final date is blank. The only problem is if I open up that form I do not want it to change the date to today. I want it to stay the date of the actual completion. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, P-Chu -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Try this -- Completion_...

Can't connect after updates.
I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. Anyone one else have this problem? I am actually experiencing the same issue. I just installed, it said that there were updates available which I installed and now I can not connect from within money... I am using vista, not sure if that is part of the problem or not... "Jakryk" wrote: > I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. > Anyone one else have this problem? I'm using Vista also. I've reinstalled Money and I cancel the updates. It happen...

School question
True or Faled The Table Template is used to automate data entry in a table. We don't typically answer school questions in these newsgroups, but even if we were going to, we generally like the question to be complete and make sense. -Scott "deborah Camp" <deborahCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E79CEB83-12AC-4B88-8146-5ACED58279A2@microsoft.com... > True or Faled The Table Template is used to automate data entry in a > table. Scott M. wrote: > > "deborah Camp" <deborahCamp@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

OWA Question #10
Hello, we're running Exchange 2003 and I have the following situation. Several employees in our company decided to start a different branch. Instead of creating a separate domain we just created a new account in AD with a different domain suffix. So let's say they used to have account@companyA.com. But now they have account@companyB.com. They've been able to access email via Outlook just fine but when accessing it via OWA, they are unsuccessful. We've tried logging them in with both companyA.com and companyB.com domains in the login screen. companyA.com just retur...

Frustrated Beyond Measure
I loved Money 2005, recommended it to friends and got 2 great years of use out of it. Then, it forced me to upgrade to continue online services. I didn't mind since it was only $40 and I got two good years out of it. However, Money Plus Deluxe has been a nuisance. I have never gotten portfolio manager to work. I spent 2 weeks sending emails with support where the guy eventually said "if this doesn't work, I can't help you." Great... shoudl I go buy Quicken? This weekend, I decided to try to completely uninstall Money and try a reinstall to get Portfolio Manag...

continous form question
Hi, I have a 'continous form' which gets its data from a table. Im using a form for ease of use by the operator and data is displayed in text boxes. My form has 6 columns and thousands of rows - so many records in the table. (its pretty much like an excel spreadsheet). However, on my form, i have a text box and i want the text box to change to eg VBred, if the time on the current record matches the time on the next record. (obvousley time is one of the pieces of data and displayed as hh:mm) As my form is a continous form, if i add my 'colour' text box to ...

Excel Question: How to Delete All Blank Rows from a worksheet?
Hi, I'm brand new, and that is my question. I just spent 2 hour laboriously mousing along deleting row by row, every other row thinkin there's gotta be a better way. (I could've done it of course if the were adjacent, but they were interspersed with my good data). I'm little behind the times: agile with keystrokes but less so with mous [think I was quicker in Lotus DOS! (actually "TWIN")]. But I do play mean piano -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check out: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteBlankRows "DaveThePianoGuy >...

File Conversion Question
backup.pst Outlook 2003 version Can this be converted to be restored into Outlook 2002? What other possible solutions could be employed? Thank you. denise.ciaralli@bell.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > backup.pst Outlook 2003 version > > Can this be converted to be restored into Outlook 2002? Only by using Outlook 2003 to create a 2002-format PST and then copying or exporting the data to the 2002-format PST. -- Brian Tillman Thank you! >-----Original Message----- >denise.ciaralli@bell.ca <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >...

Updating MS Office 98 for Mac to newer MS Office version & other questions
Hi! I have a Mac iBook with a Power PC G3 Processor, Disk Cache: 4096k, Virtual Memory 129 MB, Built-In Memory 128 MB, Machine Speed 600MHz (so it says in the system profiler...I don't really know what all this means and if someone has an easy explanation, I'd appreciate it). Though it came with OSX, I have been running it on OS 9.2 because I purchased Microsoft Office 98 for Mac (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) back in 1999 for my last Mac (a desktop), so I loaded it onto this iBook when I got it. My question is, can I qualify for an update of MS Office? From browsing the web I noticed ther...

Try that critical update from the Microsoft
--cvopnkiwnuksx Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="euamswwo"; type="multipart/alternative" --euamswwo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="qcidyxbg" --qcidyxbg Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which fixes all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect your computer from ...

General SOA question
As I was reading SOA Manifiesto, one line got my attention "SOA can be realized through a variety of technologies and standards." as of now, only way I can think of implementing bussiness service at this time which is decoupled and scalable is though web services. This gives cross platform/scalable/maintainable. Is there any other way we can implement services which has the same things? Thanks, I just started working with SOA, and the way I understand it (which is not very thorough at that) is that SOA is basically web services taken to the next level of interoperability (a...

Public Folder Question #4
Is there a way to enumerate all folders and posts (including attachment labels where applicable) and redirect to a text file or CSV in a similar fashion that the DOS tree /F /A command would work? Thanks! ...

stange folder after install updates
hello, I've some computers with XP SP3 which after install some updates appear "strange folders". For example there're some folders in c: called: 6ac86d2ad9be93fc0f0ded or 22553c8e848b459d87bc49 I think that these folder are created when the installation on the update fails but my problem is in order to delete them I have to put myself as propietary of the folder manually, Is there any way to delete them automatically? sgr wrote: :: hello, :: :: I've some computers with XP SP3 which after install some updates :: appear "strange folders". F...

Linking and Updating Word Text
I created a template in Publisher, including text, titles, pictures, etc. I have 13 separate Word docs that people are changing and updating. The text from the 13 documents needs to link into that Publisher template, to creat 13 new Publisher files. I need to accomplish two goals: a) 13 consistant looking Publisher files, that are, b) easily updated from the Word docs through link updates (or whatever.) I've only been able to bring over embedded objects from Word as pictures. Thank you. In Publisher, create a text box, right-click, click change text, click text file, browse t...

Profile question...
One of the small networks I manage had a Win2k DC that crashed. We replaced it with a 2008 SBS & since most of the clients were XP, I was able to join computers to the new domain & copy the profiles from the old location to the new location. That was until I got to the Vista laptop. On this computer, the profile shows as 'Unknown' & the 'copy to' option is grayed out. I am currently copying the contents of the C:\Users\username folder to the C:\Users\user.newdomain folder. Will this be all I need? Is there an easier way? Also, under system properties>u...

database question / feedback needed (GP8
Hello Everybody. We sold one of our companies, and the new owners are moving off Great Plains. They are transferring/rebuilding data in their new software on their own. For historical (GP) data, they have purchased some software to perform queries, and have requested I give them the data. I am planning to send a backup of the SQL Company dbase. They would not have a GP client, and would not be performing transactions - so I believe they really just want to access the various history tables. I prefer not to send the Dynamics dbase if I don't have to (passwords, etc). I guess my ques...

Updating Internet Information #3
I have Microsoft Money 99 which I use mainly to do my yearly taxes. Until this year, I have been able to update the tax worksheet by downloading (clicking on "Update Internet Information"). When I click this now, I get a dialog box: Money 99 Online Connection Summary, indicating "Product Information. Money was unable to complete the operation. The internet, banking or brokerage server you were trying to contact encountered an error. Please try your call again later. (SMC)" I have tried this several times and received the same message in the last month. Can ...

Cell Reference question
This is probably a simple question, but I have never seen it before. I have been looking at some spredsheets sent by some co-workers, trying to figure out their structure etc... and I have seen some cell references where the reference starts with an =+'sheetname!e2 The + (plus sign) struck me as odd, I can't recall seeing that before. Is there some significance to it? Thanks Tom Believe it's a "legacy" behaviour for die-hard Lotus converts <g> The "+" is not necessary .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Please respond in thread xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot&g...

Custom Formatting numbers question
I have a spreadsheet with lot of millions numbers floating around. When I make graphs out of it, there's too much zeros. I don't want to divide all the numbers per 1 million. Is there a way to custom format those numbers with a mask that would take care of that problem for me ? i.e. 7 456 890.98$ would be represented with 7,457 M$ tia Double-click the numbers on your chart. Hit the Scale tab. From the Display units drop-down, choose Millions. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Junkyard Engineer" <jevandenbroucke@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

An Interesting Question: How to Have Mutliple Variable Input
Greetings! I would like to define a user-function that takes a range (or Yes/No values) as input, and returns a 1 if any of the values is yes. I'm something like thinking... FUNCTION YorN (choices) yorn=0 counter=1 to length(choices) yorn=yorn.OR.index(choices(counter)="YES") Next counter End Function I know the syntax is wrong -- can someone help me out? Thanks.../Randy Hi try =--(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"yes")>0) without using VBA at all -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Randy Numbers" <ran@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4Hk1d.3...

Not updating automatically
I've got M05 configured to automatically update from my bank (BankOne) every day. I've got my Passport set up, etc, etc, but Money never downloads until I actually start it and hit download. Why the heck won't it download in the background (DSL connection, and computer on 24x7)? One more thing -- I don't see the background process running that others are complaining about! How can I make it start? "Pilar" <noone@home.com> wrote in message news:eCfSx33JFHA.2704@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I've got M05 configured to automatically update from my...