IE 8 will not allow Adobe Reader download

Recently I updated to IE 8 on a winXP Service pack 3 machine. I believe the
machine was infected with something at the time. I was using Avast and AVG
Antivirus that were not finding anything though. The machine was very slow
though so I purchased Registry/Idenity Patrol and ran that several times. It
would find less things each time but got down to six items it would not
remove. The computer runs much faster now but is unstable. When I try to
download Adobe reader or Flash it immediatly locks IE and I get a message
about maliious add ons. Also, I uninstalled all other Virus programs as well
as Adobe thinking I could download them again when I had my problems
resolved. Any ideas what to do now?
--
steve

> ... I was using Avast and AVG
> Antivirus that were not finding anything though.

That's because you should only have one (1) AV app installed & loading at
boot.

> ...so I purchased Registry/Idenity Patrol and ran that several times. It
> would find less things each time but got down to six items it would not
> remove. The computer runs much faster now but is unstable

Uh-huh...  Out of the frying pan & into the fire!  If you ever think your
Registry needs to be cleaned, repaired, boosted, or optimized (it doesn't),
read http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

> ...Any ideas what to do now?

Sure: Back-up any personal data (none of which should be considered 100%
trustworthy at this point) then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

See http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps and/or Method 1
in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

     5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
     http://www.microsoft.com/protect/computer/advanced/xppc.mspx

Other helpful references include:

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/msg/3f5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/security/spyware/prevent.aspx

Steps to Help Prevent Computer Worms
http://www.microsoft.com/security/worms/prevent.aspx

Avoid Rogue Security Software!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/rogue.aspx
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

steve wrote:
> Recently I updated to IE 8 on a winXP Service pack 3 machine. I believe
> the
> machine was infected with something at the time. I was using Avast and AVG
> Antivirus that were not finding anything though. The machine was very slow
> though so I purchased Registry/Idenity Patrol and ran that several times.
> It
> would find less things each time but got down to six items it would not
> remove. The computer runs much faster now but is unstable. When I try to
> download Adobe reader or Flash it immediatly locks IE and I get a message
> about maliious add ons. Also, I uninstalled all other Virus programs as
> well
> as Adobe thinking I could download them again when I had my problems
> resolved. Any ideas what to do now?

0
PA
12/22/2009 1:49:47 AM
steve wrote:
> Recently I updated to IE 8 on a Win XP SP3 machine.  I believe the=20
> machine was infected with something at the time.  I was using Avast and=
 AVG=20
> Antivirus that were not finding anything though.  The machine was very =
slow=20
> though, so I purchased Registry/Identity Patrol and ran that several ti=
mes.  It=20
> would find less things each time but got down to six items it would not=
=20
> remove.  The computer runs much faster now but is unstable.  When I try=
 to=20
> download Adobe reader or Flash it immediately locks IE and I get a mess=
age=20
> about malicious add ons.  Also, I uninstalled all other Virus programs =
as well=20
> as Adobe thinking I could download them again when I had my problems=20
> resolved. Any ideas what to do now?

Burn BitDefender, or another program listed at the link below, to a CD
(using a working machine) and test the infected machine with it.
BitDefender also has a Rootkit checker on the Linux Desktop; run it if
you think that's the problem:

http://www.techmixer.com/free-bootable-antivirus-rescue-cds-download-list=
/

Download the executable rather than the .iso image, if one is available,
(though no .exe is available for BitDefender).

After the scan is run, if you elect to quarantine files, they're
quarantined to RAM and lost after you reboot.  You'll need to copy any
quarantined files to the hard drive, a thumb drive or elsewhere before
exiting.

Then run these:

Malwarebytes=C2=A9 Corporation

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

--=20
Joe   =3Do)
0
Elmo
12/22/2009 1:52:09 AM
Steve

From what you described in your post (registry cleaning tool and 2 AV programs
installed) all I can recommend to you is to do a full reformat and a clean install
of XP. Do not use any Registry Tools,they are all snake oil remedies and will ALWAYS
cause an irreparable issue among them such as you have now(unstable system)
encountered.

Save all your Data and needed files and do a clean reformat. Also install only one
(1) AV and never more

--
Peter

"steve" <steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently I updated to IE 8 on a winXP Service pack 3 machine. I believe the
> machine was infected with something at the time. I was using Avast and AVG
> Antivirus that were not finding anything though. The machine was very slow
> though so I purchased Registry/Idenity Patrol and ran that several times. It
> would find less things each time but got down to six items it would not
> remove. The computer runs much faster now but is unstable. When I try to
> download Adobe reader or Flash it immediatly locks IE and I get a message
> about maliious add ons. Also, I uninstalled all other Virus programs as well
> as Adobe thinking I could download them again when I had my problems
> resolved. Any ideas what to do now?
> --
> steve

0
Peter
12/22/2009 3:59:10 AM
One thing you could try is going under Tools>Internet Options>Security,
then click on the 'Sites' button under the Trusted Sites section and
add Adobe to that.
Hope this helps.
Kyler
IE 8 Outreach Team

--
Kyler_IE8_Team
0

=?Utf-8?Q?Calcular_idade_at=C3=A9_uma_data_espe?= =?Utf-8?Q?c=C3=ADfica?=
Numa lista de alunos com datas de nascimento variadas, exemplo: Aluno A: 12/01/1998; Aluno B: 08/07/1990; Aluno C: 30/06/1978; Aluno D: 25/11/1991. Apenas gostaria que os alunos com aniversário até 30/06/2004 tivessem a idade atualizada, os demais permaneceriam com a idade normal. Ex.: Aluno A: 6 anos, Aluno B: 23 anos, Aluno C: 26 anos e Aluno D: 12 anos. Como seria a fórmula, função? Pardon minha gram�tica, eu estou traduzindo sua pergunta ao ingl�s, e minha resposta para tr�s a Portugese. Eu posso fazer alguns erros. Tente a f�rmula = (Today()-A1)/365 onde A1 ...

Which credit card company offer free statement(transaction) download?
Hi, Does anyone know which credit card offers free statement (transaction) download for MS Money 2004? I know Discover Card does it and I like the way they do it. Everything is automatic and free. I want a VISA card or Master card does the same. Thanks, James In microsoft.public.money, James wrote: > >Does anyone know which credit card offers free statement (transaction) >download for MS Money 2004? I know Discover Card does it and I like >the way they do it. Everything is automatic and free. I want a VISA >card or Master card does the same. Citi Dividend Card Master Card w...

how do I open an adobe illustrator image?
I've been given a logo in both Adobe Illustrator (ai) format and eps format. How can I open the file in publisher? thanks in advance. jeffrey You can place it, but you can't open it. "jeff mazza" wrote: > I've been given a logo in both Adobe Illustrator (ai) format and eps format. > How can I open the file in publisher? thanks in advance. jeffrey ...

Latest Outlook download
Can the latest version of Outlook be downloaded free and if so from where? It doesn't seem to be a pay for package (why would you pay for an email client) other than it usually comes with Office just like IE6 comes with XP. Is this correct? regards PeterH No, and no. Outlook 2003 is not just an email client. It is available = as: * A standalone application * Part of each Office 2003 suite * A client included with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and Microsoft = Small Business Server 2003 * An application included with the purchase of selected PDAs --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author...

Inbox will not archive
OL2k3 and Exchange2k3 - Auto-archiving only saves 'sent items' - 'inbox' items are not saved. I have checked the KB and set the folder properties to archive older than two months. Archive folders are listed under the 'all folders' but the archive inbox remains empty. Any ideas? -- -------------------------------------------------------------------- --------- This message has been checked for all known viruses. The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is confidential and may be the subject of legal, professional or other privilege. It is intende...

Problems downloading statements
I just installed SP XP2 and attempted to download credit card statements from MBNA. The screen flashes but does not download the info. I deleted my temp. files but that did not solve the problem. Other credit cards and bank statements download without any problems. Any suggestions? ...

2004 Bank downloads not posting
My system connects and goes through the Online connection process without incident for the financial institutions (though it fails to sych with Money Central). Money knows that I have statements to be read and even knows how many transactions are waiting - but the account registers do not have the entries ready to be edited (nor have I found a way to get them into the register). I have run the Salvage utility (level 2) ; I have started money with the -s switch (both which complete without errors); I have exported the accounts into a Quicken format and re-imported them (a thorough bear of a ta...

Prob. with complete online download
I recently downloaded my e-Trade account information automatically. When I did, it correctly downloaded my positions and all the pertinate information pertaining to them, however it did not get my cash portions in the securities accounts. Any ideas why? The main reason is it's not recording my entire balances and throwing off my actual balances. This seems to be a recurrent problem because when I first tried Money on the trial version, it did the same thing. I just attributed it to being limited with the trial version, but I recently purchased the "Premium" edition and ...

Downloading Trial Version
I have downloaded and ran the installation software that appears on my Desktop several times and Publisher never shows up in any of the program files or on my Desktop or Start Menu, etc. I have also searched the computer for it. It is important that I have Publisher asap in order to finish a project for a college class... Any suggestions greatly appreciated! ...

CRM 3.0 Client Downloads and Updates
I am trying to find all of the options for downloading MS Dynamics CRM 3.0 client for Outlook, as well as which updates are already included in the clients. On my laptop, I have the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 client for Microsoft Office Outlook Compatibility Update which installs fine after downloading the ISO image from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=740E1B3B-11C3-4AEF-B2E3-8309E0CF1BB0&displaylang=en Unfortunately, there are several users where I work who do not have Office 2007 nor Vista and will need to have the CRM 3.0 client installed. My question is: W...

Margins #8
I was wondering if the blue margin guides have anything to do with the margins that are printing up on my booklet, and if so, how to turn them off from being printed. JustinB wrote: > I was wondering if the blue margin guides have anything to do with the > margins that are printing up on my booklet, Nope, nothing at all. They're there for you to use however you see fit. > and if so, how to turn them off > from being printed. That's a limitation of your printer. Look for a "full bleed", "borderless", or "expanded margins" option in ...

template download problem
I've previewed templates on the Microsoft Office Webpage with no problem. When I click to edit it in Word a connection window opens, the status bar moves and it all appears as if the template is downloading. Then nothing happens. no error messages are given. Any thoughts on the solution? THanks ...

Cannot make Outlook 2003 the default email program in IE
I made the Outlook the default email, calendar, and contacts under the tools,options tab in Outlook. It still does not show up as a selection in Internet Explorer 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2, options, programs menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated. So have you set the Exp.Options/Prog/Email? Or are you saying it keeps on getting reset to? If so are you or someone also using a second email app? David "slam" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:132401c3b8fc$885d6f80$7d02280a@phx.gbl... > I made the Outlook the default email, calendar, and > co...

Will Not Display Mailbox -HELP
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002, and when I go into tools -> accounts -> view or change current -> change -> more settings -> and click on the advanced tab to add... a mailbox, I type in the correct mailbox name (i.g. ASFAX) and click add. Click OK throughout, and when I get back to my Folder List, I click on the ASFAX and it says "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I know the name of the folder is correct, and it works fine. I have permissions to join the mailbox and other people in my org...

Intigrating HR with Payroll in GP 8.0 with SP3 (US)
We currenlty handle all benefits from Payroll. I would like to start handling benefits and deductions from HR. I am working on 401K and am set up to view payroll from HR. I have 3 employees with a 401K enrollment in HR - as a test - intigration was not chosen for any of them. Already existing in payroll, we have a deduction with the same exact name as the benefit, already showing the before tax amounts, etc. If I choose to intigrate the "401K" code from the HR module with payroll, upon enrolling an individual, will that overwrite all of my current payroll deduction data? ...

Cells in Excel will not stop highlighting
I am using Excel and as soon as I highlight one cell, regardless of where I click, i cannot stop the cells from highlighting. If i move the mouse to the left...all the cells start highlighting towards the left, if I move the mouse down, all the cells start highlighting towards the bottom. The only way I can stop this is to close excel through the task manager. any help or fix for this is greatly appreciated. try touching the f8 key -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Boe" <Boe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A552DE2A-5D0B-4CC8-90CF-1EA...

Aroma ARC-914S Cool-Touch 8-Cup Rice Cooker and Steamer, White with Silver Control Panel
List Price:$29.99 Image: http://bestdeallocator.info/image.php?id=B000ZMD5I2 Best price found: http://bestdeallocator.info/index.php?id=B000ZMD5I2 I purchased this rice cooker as a gift for my 27 year old son. He really loves rice and "minute rice" just isn't real rice as far as I'm concerned. I have an Aroma rice cooker myself and thought the ease of the one-touch button system would be perfect for my son (and his room-mates). Two weeks after his birthday he told me the rice cooker was "a hit" in his house, and they use it constantly for all sorts of rice,...

Adobe PDF Mail Merge Creates winmail.dat Instead of Attachment
This has been discussed in other threads, but I haven't found an answer to this problem. In reality I don't know which application is to blame, but the fingers keep pointing at Outlook. I'm using Word 2007 to do a mail merge using Adobe Acrobat Pro V9. I have Outlook configured as the default mail program. The generated PDF is attached to en e-mail and gets delivered without problems. If I read the e-mail using Outlook or Gmail (the only ones that I've tried), the attachment appears and can be displayed without issues. If I read the e-mail using a program ...

downloading messages from a mail server
Hi, I can read my mail on the web-based version of our email system as well as via outlook on my own computer. I want to be able to download messages from the server on to a "non-server" folder in outlook on my computer, so that my mail does not clog up space on the server. however, i have been unable to create a folder in outlook, outside of my mailbox on the server. It doesn not realy matter to me whether a copy of each message remains on the server, although the point of this exercise is to clean up space on the server. Any tips or suggestions would be most appreciated. M...

Sample CRM 3.0 reports downloadable from Partnersource
It would be useful to have sample reports from CRM 3.0 availble to download from Partnersource to show customers what the reports look like. Customers won't have enough data in their own CRM for some time after going live, therefore they cannot easily get an idea of what information the standard reports in CRM can provide. This would be useful to Partners to use as a selling aid and in giving training. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" ...

IE and the autocomplete of its address bar
To all, I would like to mimic the autocomplete behavior of the address bar. Anyone knows all the steps involved? It appears as though, as the user types and the text changes, if there is a match with some entry in the comboboxes list of entries, the combobox is dropped down and shown with only the items that matched. Is that about correct? Any thoughts on how to implement this? Regards. Reza If you want to use auto complete for paths to files and directories there is a function called SHAutoComplete. If you need anything more than that check out IAutoComplete in MSDN for info on how to ...

Downloaded trial version of Publisher 2007
I have downloaded the trial version of Publisher 2007 but am not able to create a document or modify it in any way. I'm on a timeline - HELP! -- Bryan arcticmonkey wrote: > I have downloaded the trial version of Publisher 2007 but am not able to > create a document or modify it in any way. I'm on a timeline - HELP! You have to activate the trial version to bring it out of reduced functionality mode. If you've already activated it and the trial has expired (30 days, I believe), then you have to buy the product. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mv...

OWA pdf or pps attachments will not open
hi I posted this issue in other forums and still no luck. i saw that this issue was here befor but i saw no solution. some pdf attachments and all pps attachment will not open automaticly in owa while in outlook they will open with no problem. when trying to open them in owa a message will appeare stating you have to save the attachment first. any ideas ? Hi, This might help: http://groups.google.dk/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs/browse_thread/thread/7751ea155f0215ed/d4ba2fb0c663ebdf?lnk=st&q=owa+open+pdf&rnum=5#d4ba2fb0c663ebdf Leif "shark2" <yair.harel@...

Outlook 2002 will not send and recieve on created account
Outlook 2002 began acting up and it lost one of my e-mail accounts. I noticed that I was not getting any e-mail that I would usually get with the account. I checked and the account is not there. The other thing that I have noticed is that my address book and archives are listed where my other accounts are listed in the area where you would edit or add e-mail accounts. I went in and recreated the missing account and went to send and recieve and it would not bring up the account in the send and recieve box (it brought up all my other accounts). I went back and the account is still...

Excel to delimited txt file in UTF-8 char-set
Dear All, Is Excel capable to save to a delimited text file in UTF- 8 char-set format? I have searched around google group and yahoo, etc... but noone seems to have the answer. It would be really apreciated if someone can help me out of this. Thank you very much in advance. SIM ...