howto read Software-Raid5

Hi there,
First I am not sure wether I am in the right newsgroup but as Win XP
also supports software-raid it might be. Tell me if there's a better topic.

So, I am using Win2003 Standard with SP2 as backup-DC with software
raid5 and since Monday it seems like video and network-card broke down.
As it has some data I'd like to restore I need to access the harddisk
(somehow logonservice is not starting in failsafe mode and the os is
stuck at "preparing network connections" in normal and failsafe with
network drivers).
So my question: is there any tool (maybe in ressource toolkit) I could
use for my purpose? Where are the logs stored and how could I access
them when I have access to the software-raid-device (but with a
different system)?

Thanks in advance

Erik
0
Erik

You are asking a Win 2003 question in a WinXP newsgroup? Just because it
supportS raid software?  Why not ask in a Win 2003 newsgroup, or a Raid
forum? DUH!!!!

"Erik Lukac" <lukac@es.mw.tum.de> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> First I am not sure wether I am in the right newsgroup but as Win XP also
> supports software-raid it might be. Tell me if there's a better topic.
>
> So, I am using Win2003 Standard with SP2 as backup-DC with software raid5
> and since Monday it seems like video and network-card broke down. As it
> has some data I'd like to restore I need to access the harddisk (somehow
> logonservice is not starting in failsafe mode and the os is stuck at
> "preparing network connections" in normal and failsafe with network
> drivers).
> So my question: is there any tool (maybe in ressource toolkit) I could use
> for my purpose? Where are the logs stored and how could I access them when
> I have access to the software-raid-device (but with a different system)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Erik

0
Penn

Office 2008 Files: Read Only, POSIX, ACLs Frustration!
We have a fully patched Leopard server with SMB sharepoints. I'll create a new folder using my Leopard client, we'll call it PermTest. I wish to lock down this folder, so I set POSIX permissions to Owner: Decker12, Read/Write, Group: Sales, Read/Write, Everyone: None. I'll drop some Word and Excel files in that folder, and propagate the permissions. I'll use TinkerTool System and "ls -le" to verify that the permissions are set correctly on the folder and all the documents contained inside of it. I verify that from the client, Decker12 and members of the Sale...

stream read error
I have a small excel file (200k) which worked fine until i changed the file name (I cannot remember the original name as it was just letters and numbers which was the reason for changing the name!). Now it will not open and upon trying several Excel recovery programs some of them told me it was a stream read error' and the recovery failed. Any advice or is this file a write off? -- bembaman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bembaman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29865 View this thread: http://www.exc...

outlook express not able to read news -- help wanted
I use outlook express 6 to read news. Before installing WINXPSP2 it worked great but after that installation it no longer does. When I enter a news group by clicking on its name I get the list of posts as usual, but as soon as the list is loaded the group is closed and I'm back to the list of my subscribed groups. Is there anyone who knows a fix to this problem? cheers, mortb mortb <siggepigg@yahoo.com> wrote: > I use outlook express 6 to read news. Before installing WINXPSP2 it > worked great but after that installation it no longer does. > When I enter a news group by ...

Use hyperlink to open .xls read-only?
Excel 2003 SP3 on XP Pro SP3 I have a workbook I have created to use as an index to occasionally used workbooks using hyperlinks to create a point and click Document Index. It works well for why I created it; now I'd like the ability to encode some of the links to open read-only instead of read-write. I didn't find anything in the help files ... is this possible? Thanks in advance! Clif ...

Open read only but update when changes are made / refresh #2
Hi, If anyone can point in the right direction to answering this question, I would be very thankful. I was wondering if it's possible to lock an excel file and have other people open a read-only copy but have them recieve notifications when the locked file is updated. Is this possible? If you need any clarification, please ask. -Watson ...

Files not opening after Windows Software Service 3.0 installed
Hello, I'm having problems with some files not opening after a windows update. These publisher files have content pasted as link from MS Excel (2007), and these very files fail to open. I have to do a system restore previous to service 3.0 to be able to recover them. That is a big hassle, and the file I work with is very important and took a very long time to be put together. Do you know of a fix to it? How can I prevent these service pack to be installed? Actually, I think it's good to have a service pack installed, if that's an overall improvement in security or bugs. I ju...

Transferring read e-mail to another folder
Hello I was wondering whether there was a way in which I could automatically transfer my e-mail that has been read into another folder, such as "Old e-mail" or something like that? Thanks ...

Office 2008 doesn't install
Hi,<br> <br> when I tried to install it said it can't find software to install, just after choosing the install location. what's going on? I have office 2004 installed. problem solved - I had to change the system language to english before installing! ...

Reading Layout
How can I change my default attachment view from Reading Layout to Print View and use Word as the editor? Reading view is very small (maybe 60% size.) ...

Problems in Reading Xml output from WebPages
Hi, I have some problems in reading xml data using webrequest, response and dataset objects. This program i am executing from last 6 months its worked fine. but now its throwing some exceptions. First when i access the same old program its thrown, "Unable to read data from transport connection." After i checked the code its clear that there is no problem with the connection. Then i was decided to copy the file output to some xml file and tried to read that using dataset and it given a new error "The data at the root level is invalid. Line 1, ...

Change Reading Pane and Arrange by Groups DEFAULT
I'm frequently creating new folders in OL2003 SP2, and each new folder is - by default - created with Reading Pane turned on, and Arrange by Groups turned on. I don't want either. Is there some way for me to change the default so I don't have to manualy change it every time? customize the default view - http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: ...

If you ever thought of becoming a VAR or already a Small Var or Independent Consultant Please Read this
I just want to introduce our membership group to the Newsgroup. Our organization the Katalys Group offers a unique turn key solution to individuals looking to become a reseller. It is so unique that even the people we spoke with at Microsoft were impressed. By joining our organization you get all the major benefits of a reseller with reduced costs and increased benefits than if you were to start your own from scratch. We take care of all necessary certifications, customer referrals and other Microsoft requirements on your behalf. You will also earn 100% commissions on ALL Sales and yearly en...

I can't read blue text for replies
I know how to change my fonts for outgoing messages - but I have difficulty reading the blue replies which come in to me. Does anybody know how I can configure Outlook so all incoming messages come in black? (I know I can highlight the blue text and change its formatting - I am looking for something automatic) Thanks!! > Does anybody know how I can configure Outlook > so all incoming messages come in black? Bad solution (but it works): You can try to turn on option "Read all mail in plain text". Tools / Options / E-mail Options / Read all mail in plain text. I'll try ...

Make Query or Linked Table Read Only
In Access 03 & 07 I have tables linked via ODBC to a MySQL database. Due to many security, DB, and vendor issues, I do not have an option to change the MySQL permissions or change the ODBC driver. I need to find a way to make the linked tables read-only (preferred) or at least make queries to those tables read-only. Simply locking the form's controls is not sufficient. I had users accidentally delete data in the MySQL anyway. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm bordering on having to scrap a 3 month project if I can't secure the data. Than...

Opening and Reading the locked files #3
Hi I need to backup some of the exclusive locked files. I have tried many ways to call CreateFile but it fails either by giving sharing violation or Access Denied. I have backup and restore privilege. What flags shall I CreateFile to open the locked File for backup In the below code I can atleast open the file but any changes to it are denied. HANDLE hfile = CreateFile(strFilename, READ_CONTROL, 0, 0,OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_FLAG_BACKUP_SEMANTICS, 0 ); Now this open's the file but ReadFile and BackupRead Fails. ReadFIles fails with exception CreateFile Failed : Access Denied. But I have a v...

Error: Unable to Read
I saved a file a few days ago, and now I can't open it-- when I do it comes up with the error "Unable to Read File". Can anyone help? Hi any chance you open the file from a floppy disc? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Pat wrote: > I saved a file a few days ago, and now I can't open it-- > when I do it comes up with the error "Unable to Read > File". Can anyone help? What version of excel are you using? If the sender used xl97 (or greater) and you're using xl95, then ask the sender to save it in xl95 format. If you're both using...

Starting to read xml part way through a file

Recommended Backup Software
Hi, What are people's recommendations for backing up Exchange 2003 in a fairly high volume enterprise environment? I'd like to be able to restore single messages if possible. Thanks - Jamie. I have very good experience with Veritas BackupExec 9/10... It supports brick level backup - meaning backup/restore can be done on a single message basis.. -- Regards, Sasa Milovanovic MCSE:Messaging, VCP sasa.milovanovic(at)exchangemaster.net "Jamie Dawes" <jamie_d808@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uLOHybLLGHA.2780@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > What ar...

How do I find skuo11.cab on preinstalled software?
When opening EXCEL, getting this error "File SKUO11.CAB not found", it tells me to search and I cannot find it. My software was preinstalled. How do I fix this problem? Please help! The information in the following thread may help you: http://groups.google.ca/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/e6fa2111bacfe997/9099226eb27cf611 EVEN wrote: > When opening EXCEL, getting this error "File SKUO11.CAB not found", it tells > me to search and I cannot find it. My software was preinstalled. How do I fix > this problem? Please help! > ...

Microsoft's Retail Management Software running on a Wireless net.
Having multiple problems running Retail Management software on a wireless Linksys network. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this configuration? Thanks for any help ? 54mbps is likely not enough throughput for this app. If this app isnt on 100/1000 (forget 10) then you will see problems. It is a memory hog and sucks up all avail CPU upon initialization of SQL searches and 1st time boot, If running P3 or less, and anything less than a P4 will be sluggish. Linksys products are not suitable for a production Ethernet environment, and speed, performance issues will not go ...

Files open as read only
Dear all We have a network share with hundreds of Excel spreadsheets that individuals access and update regularly. The files are protected worksheets with only certain cells that the individuals can write to. They should then save the file to overwrite the original. All users are set up to have special rights so that they can access and modify the files. However, some (possibly all) Excel 2000 users open the files and they appear as 'Read only' so the users cannot save their changes. Please can anyone help? I have seen a suggestion that the server's temp folder may need emtying,...

Problem reading in MS Access
I had a routine in Microsoft Access 2000 that worked once upon a time and I can't think of what could have made it stop working. here is what I have: Dim objOutlook As Outlook.Application Dim nms As Outlook.NameSpace Dim fld As Outlook.MAPIFolder Dim itms As Outlook.Items Dim itm As Outlook.MailItem Set objOutlook = CreateObject("Outlook.Application") I am using this to loop through the Inbox and look for a specific subject line. I now get the error: ActiveX component can't create object that occurs at the Set statement. and it is happening on more than one computer ...

Unable to read downloaded transactions on Money 2003
I am using Money 2003 on win XP. I have had no problems viewing downloaded transactions before. Over the last few days, I have not been able to read downloaded transactions especially in one of my bank accounts. It keeps saying that I have transactions to view but they do not show up in the register. Based on what I have read in this message board, I have cleaned out my internet explorer temp files and I have run "msmoney -s". I am still having problems. In fact, when I run "msmoney - s" then program crashes and asks me to send an error report to microsoft. Than...

must read

Reading Pane and Resource Kit.
I am currently doing some testing in order to deploy Microsoft Office 2003 Professional. I first installed an O2K3 client on WinXP and configured it the way I want it on all of our workstations. Then, I took a snapshot of the installation with the profile wizard in order to keep all the settings and apply them in an O2K3 package. Everything worked fine in all of the Office applications we use, except for Outlook, where only one setting wasn't kept. I'm talking about that damned reading Pane, which I can't get to be at the bottom by default after the installation. Did so...