how to upgrade win xp sp1 to win xp sp3

Hello:

As  MS anounced end of life for Win XP SP1/SP2, I would like to know if a PC
that has WinXP SP1 should be upgraded to SP2 before applying SP3, or if I can
apply directly SP3 on SP1 without SP2.

Thanks

If WinXP SP1 is installed, you can skip SP2.

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

That being said, did you just do a "clean install" of WinXP SP1 or...?

Manuel S. wrote:
> As  MS anounced end of life for Win XP SP1/SP2, I would like to know if a
> PC
> that has WinXP SP1 should be upgraded to SP2 before applying SP3, or if I
> can apply directly SP3 on SP1 without SP2.

0
PA
6/7/2010 10:23:31 PM
Actually it is just for backup, since there is one PC in the office which
originally had XP sp1, just in case it needed a future full reinstallation,
could I skip SP2?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If WinXP SP1 is installed, you can skip SP2.
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched
> http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b
>
> That being said, did you just do a "clean install" of WinXP SP1 or...?
>

> Manuel S. wrote:
> > As  MS anounced end of life for Win XP SP1/SP2, I would like to know if a
> > PC
> > that has WinXP SP1 should be upgraded to SP2 before applying SP3, or if I
> > can apply directly SP3 on SP1 without SP2.
>
> .

Try reading PA Bear's reply again.

"Manuel S." <ManuelS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Actually it is just for backup, since there is one PC in the office which
: originally had XP sp1, just in case it needed a future full
reinstallation,
: could I skip SP2?
:
: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
:
: > If WinXP SP1 is installed, you can skip SP2.
: >
: > Manuel S. wrote:
: > > As  MS anounced end of life for Win XP SP1/SP2, I would like to know
if a
: > > PC
: > > that has WinXP SP1 should be upgraded to SP2 before applying SP3, or
if I
: > > can apply directly SP3 on SP1 without SP2.
: >
: > .
: >

0
No
6/8/2010 12:40:17 PM
On Jun 8, 4:11=A0am, Manuel S. <Manu...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Actually it is just for backup, since there is one PC in the office which
> originally had XP sp1, just in case it needed a future full reinstallatio=
n, =A0
> could I skip SP2?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > If WinXP SP1 is installed, you can skip SP2.
>
> > HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched
> >http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg...
>
> > That being said, did you just do a "clean install" of WinXP SP1 or...?
>
> > Manuel S. wrote:
> > > As =A0MS anounced end of life for Win XP SP1/SP2, I would like to kno=
w if a
> > > PC
> > > that has WinXP SP1 should be upgraded to SP2 before applying SP3, or =
if I
> > > can apply directly SP3 on SP1 without SP2.
>
> > .

Yes you can skip SP2.  SP3 contains all the updates included with SP2
and the update released until the date the SP3 was released.

0
smlunatick

Outlook XP HTML Spell Check Problem
Upgraded to Windows/Office XP from Windows/Office 2K - wish we hadn't. Many bugs, particularly with Outlook. The .pst files are all imported, of course, from the older versions. Spell check now does not work on HTML email - erroneously reporting that the document contains no mispelled words - wrong. Anyone know of a fix please? ...

Excel 2002 SP3 CSV Format Cell 'Special' Leading Zero
Excel 2002 SP3, CSV File, Format Cell 'Special' for Zip Code Leading Zero does not work. Is there any way to maintain the Zip Code Leading Zero (New England States) in a CSV File? I have tried Format 'Special' and 'Text' and have found the only solution to be to place a leading ' with each zip code. This is not a very practical solution. Is this a configuration problem, a bug, or a limitation of the CSV file? Thanks, William Hi you may use an adjacent cell with a formula for this. e.g. enter in B1 =TEXT(A1,"0000") or something similar according...

Start Menu in Windows XP
Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to remove programs that are on when I startup XP every day. I right clicked properties I hit customized I hit advanced I don't see a list of programs to uncheck or know what to do next. Thanks In article <OwRTU30wDHA.1500@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, goodyrl@hotmail.com says... |Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to remove programs that are |on when I startup XP every day. | |I right clicked properties |I hit customized |I hit advanced | |I don't see a list of programs to uncheck or know what to do next. Thanks | | | ...

ivex windraft under XP
I was running windraft 3.07 under NT 4. After upgrading to XP Pro, it runs incredibly slowly, to the point of uselessness. Ivex seems to be no more, sad to say. Is there a fix for this problem? Thanks, George Sorry, wrong NG. ...

iis on xp does not start The server {A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C
When I try to start iis I get 2 errors Tipo evento: Errore Origine evento: Service Control Manager Categoria evento: Nessuno ID evento: 7024 Data: 21/02/2010 Ora: 11.39.32 Utente: N/D Computer: D630 Descrizione: The IIS Admin Service service terminated with service-specific error 2148073478 (0x80090006). and Tipo evento: Errore Origine evento: DCOM Categoria evento: Nessuno ID evento: 10010 Data: 21/02/2010 Ora: 11.40.02 Utente: D630\Administrator Computer: D630 Descrizione: The server {A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750} did not register with DCOM within...

XP Pro re-install fails at pci.sys
Hello, At my wits end with this. I purchased a larger HD (250gb) for my Dell D600 and installed XP Pro SP2 fresh (upgraded to SP3 and all updates). Ran fine for two months then I took an update for XP and shut the PC down for the night. Next morning it would not boot. A little research told me that the max HD size supported by my machine was 137gb. It was only a matter of time before Windows would exceed that size limit according to Dell and the system would fail to boot. I could not boot into any version of windows XP nor even get a response from pressing the F8 key. T...

Tony Redmond's Exchange Server 2003 with SP1
Anyone know when this is coming out, and is it just an update of the current (red) Exchange 2003 book by Digital Press? I want to order a number of these for our admins, but if there is a SP1 version coming out I can wait... Answering my own question: Series: HP Technologies ISBN: 1-55558-330-x Book/Paperback Measurements: 7 1/2 X 9 1/4 in Pages: 1008 Imprint: Digital Press Publication Date: 22 October 2004 You need to create a recipient policy for the second domain that you are hosting. Put all the users into a group that you want to apply the second domains SMTP address to t...

Upgrade from standard Office v.X to PRO edition with VPC?
Does anyone know if this is possible? Haven't found this specific topic in any of the MS Mactopia documentation. I would like to add VPC to my Office suite, but it looks as if I will just need to purchase a stand-alone copy. Any thoughts to the contrary? Thanks, Greg ...

I'm using outlook 2000 office sp3
I have enable the multi profile. I'm unable to open other user mailbox profile other then my own login mailbox. My exchange is 5.5p s3 i.e. I have login as in userA 1) I selected userA profile and keyin the right user id and password. I'm able to read userA mailbox 2) I selected userB profile and keyin userB user id and password. It give me the error message saying I'm unable to open default email folders. what the problem here any solution ...

Collation error in upgrade to 3.0
I am setup as Latin1_General_Binary which worked on version 1.0 No where in the implementation guide does it say I have to be Latin1_General_CI_AS yet that is what I am being told the detail of the error says the following? Does anyone no the truth here? Microsoft SQL Server Collation Does Not Match the Language ID Registry Setting Cause The Microsoft® SQL Server Collation setting does not match with the Operating System Language ID Registry Setting. Solution This is a warning message. Installation should complete. However, we recommend that you contact Microsoft Product Support Se...

Upgrade from Outlook XP to 2003 lost my rules
When I upgraded from Outlook XP to 2003 I lost all my rules. Is there a way to recover them? I have a ghost disk of the original installation but did not export the rzw(?) file so I can not simply import the old rules. Help please? P.S. I also find Outlook 2003 will not close and leaves an icon in the system tray. Starting with Outlook 2002, rules have been stored in the .PST file instead of in a separate .RWZ file. You might want to try repairing your .PST file... -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to ...

Exch2003
Since applying SP1, system manager is slow to load and respond, outlook takes too long to open. Has anyone else noticed that? Are you 100% sure that this is because of SP1? No such reports have been received. Check your AD / Name resolution infrastructure health. Baris. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "RandyH" <RHollaw@HotMail.com> wrote in message news:uz68wQjSEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Since applying SP1, system manager is slow to load and respond, outlook > takes too long to open. Has anyone el...

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

How to downgrade from Outlook 2003 Std to Outlook 2000 Pro and XP
How to downgrade from Outlook 2003 Std to Outlook 2000 Pro and XPs. Why? You uninstall 2003 and install whichever version you want - thats only the bare bones, there are other things to do if you want to access 2003 data in an earlier version of Outlook "Sharon" <Sharon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2AE1162F-0A24-423D-8C12-1B4652455975@microsoft.com... > How to downgrade from Outlook 2003 Std to Outlook 2000 Pro and XPs. On 3/1/2010 8:20 PM, Sharon wrote: > How to downgrade from Outlook 2003 Std to Outlook 2000 Pro and XPs. Pl...

upgrading servers #2
Hello, i have the following scenario. I came upon this client after other IT people were fired, and this whole setup seems to have been set up very inneficiently from the start. My client is running 2 servers. First server is running windows server 2003 standard, and the second server is running small business server 2000, which includes exchange. Not only are these two systems not completely compatible, but to make matters worse, the domain name of the server does not match the domain name of the company website. (i find it easier for exchange if both match) What i would like to do, i...

Massive Random Upgrade Corruption in Money 2005
In going from Money 2004 to 2005 I am getting random corruption. I have done the upgrade multiple times and get different results each time. There are three main problems that I have been able to identify already. 1. Opening Balances on accounts reset to 0. 2. Upcoming bills duplicated up to 10 times. 3. Categories duplicated up to 5 times. All 3 problems can be time consumingly repaired manually. However I have a fear of the problems I don't see. Also it really scares me that it changes everytime I do the upgrade. I have been using Money since '97 and have had little problem...

How do I reload an upgrade version of Publisher 2002
Please explain! The Subject is for the subject. The message box is for your message - the details please. "Tim Bridgman" <Tim Bridgman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4919EC1-99A7-4BCA-B430-6AC21643DCA2@microsoft.com... > ...

Test for Windows Classic folders in XP?

Money 2006 premium Upgrade
I currently use Money 2004 Std A couple of days ago on lauching Money there was an offer to upgrade to Money 2006 Premium at a price about $12 (after rebate) lower than usual....I think after rebate it worked out to around $37.95. This offered wasdue to expire at the end of September. Anyway, I clicked on the link and started entering my information but was then distracted by something and did not complete it....no big deal I thought...I'll do it later. Now when I launch money I can only see in the announcements area an offer to "Upgrade to Money Deluxe now". Does anyon...

Windows Update for XP stuck at installing 1 of 42
For several months I've not been able to successfully install any Windows updates. It seems the updates automatically download fine, but then lock up in the installation stage when I shut down my pc. Also, when I try to download the updates using the MS website after the updates are downloaded I get an error stating the installation was unsuccessful and that I need to wait until the Auto Updates are complete. Problem is, the auto updates keep hanging as mentioned and I have to reboot my system...hence 42 updates still not installed. pdpjen wrote: > For several months I...

VS8 SP1 Update for Vista ?
Hi: I know there is "Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows Vista Beta", but just wondering, when MS will have an VS8 SP1 Update for Windows Vista Ultimate (or final version of Vista)? Thanks in Advance! Polaris "Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ee1qkEnSHHA.1200@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Hi: > > I know there is "Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 Update for Windows > Vista Beta", but just wondering, when MS will have an VS8 SP1 Update for > Windows Vista Ultimate (or final version of Vista)? The &...

Publisher 2007 Upgrade #3
I have Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003. Can I use the 2007 Upgrade of Publisher or do I have to purchase the full version? gsg.djg3 wrote: > I have Microsoft Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003. Can I use > the 2007 Upgrade of Publisher or do I have to purchase the full > version? ======================================== I'm thinking you need to purchase the full version. Have a look at the following site: Scroll down to: Office Publisher 2007 2007 Microsoft Office system pricing and upgrade information http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/FX1017...

Outlook XP: Default Reply-to Address different from Sending? How?
My ISP won't allow me to send from it's servers quoting another e-mail address (actually a pobox.com address to thwart spammers). I know that I can do it for each individual e-mail but is there a way to make Outlook 2002 automatically insert a "...@pobox.com" e-mail address in the Reply-to field in the Options Menu? Many Thanks David Probett <DavidProbett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > My ISP won't allow me to send from it's servers quoting another e-mail > address (actually a pobox.com address to thwart spammers). You can usually handle this ...

Can I open Publisher 2002/XP files in Publisher 2000?
Are Publisher 2002/XP able to be opened with Publisher 2000? I'm currently having trouble opening a 2002 Publisher file with Publisher 2000. If there are any "tricks", please let me know. Thanks. No, you need to ask the files originator to do a Save As and resend them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "mr.e-man" <mreman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9F71B0E-19DC-43B8-8D4B-BE0DCF8387D8@microsoft.com... > Are Publisher 2002/XP able to be opened with Publish...

Upgrading 7.5 to 9.0 on new hardware
I need to find documentation on upgrading 7.5 to 9.0 on new hardware. Is there anything out there? My current environment is eEnterprise 7.5 on SQL 2000 and Windows 2000. I need to upgrade to new hardware running Windows 2003 and SQL 2005. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I suggest you read the upgrade documentation available on the CustomerSource web site. We just perfomed a similar upgrade (v7.0 -> v9) and here are the steps we used. 1. Set up duplicate system on new hardware We cloned the exisiting system on to a new server runinng windows 2003 and SQL server 2000. W...